PDA

View Full Version : Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

idizzle
03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Who should the Pistons draft?

dd24
03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I was going to start a thread like this too. It's really all we have to look forward to now, lol. Right now I'm really not impressed with this draft. There's only a couple of guys that even fit what we're doing. I've seen a ton of mock drafts and the more some people's stock is rising it could potentially leave the Pistons with an odd fit. There's actually mock drafts that have Cody Zeller falling to Detroit. While I find it hard for Zeller to fall that far, it could happen. That wouldn't really help us since we drafted Drummond.

The more I look at things, the more I realize we're really screwed at PG. With the way the rules are today you need to have a very good PG. Knight isn't going to get it done there. Calderon isn't good enough. I'm fine with Knight being a guy who plays 20+ minutes off the bench. He's not going to be a top player in this league though. He can be a key guy for a team, but he can't be the floor leader. He also can't be starting at SG. With that said, there's a couple PG's that I think fit on this roster. I really like Marcus Smart. He's big, strong, gets to the rim and makes plays for others. He's a little turnover prone and needs to work on his outside shot, but I think he's a potential game changer. He would really fit in on the Pistons. I also like Carter-Williams, though he has his weaknesses too.

For SG's McLemore is rated too high. He's being projected as one of the top two picks in the draft. He isn't good enough to be that high. He's not a guy who can carry a team. He'll be a decent NBA player, but he's not the next great SG. I like Shabazz to a certain extent. He could be a decent guard, although his lack of athleticism is a bit of a concern to me as is his attitude. He's still the only SG I would take in this draft for Detroit. The one that scares me the most is Victor Oladipo. There's mock drafts that have Detroit taking him. He is not what we need at all. While I love his hustle and defense, we really need someone who can score. We need a guy we can give the ball to when we need a bucket. Oladipo is definitely not that guy in the NBA.

At SF I really like what Otto Porter is doing. He's big enough and seems to be a pretty good player all around. I kind of like the idea of having a couple of Georgetown guys too. His stock has been moving up rapidly though. He might not land with Detroit anymore.

So the 4 guys I'm looking at right now are Marcus Smart, Otto Porter, Shabazz Muhammad, and Michael Carter-Williams. In that order too. Outside of that I just haven't seen good fits for Detroit. This draft is decent in terms of there's plenty of size (which we don't really need anymore) and there's good players. There's not going to be many (if any) all-star level players in this one though. This opinion could change after seeing what happens in the tournament, but that's what it appears to be now. Detroit really needs an all-star level player, especially since we currently don't have any and the only one who's close is Monroe.

What scares me is we have money and with another solid draft pick we might be mediocre. Next year is the draft that will be loaded with high potential big time players like Wiggins, Parker, Harrison, etc. That's the type of player we really need. I'd rather not go out and sign a free agent this year.

SourPatchKids
03-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Draft MCW

Aussie Dunker
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
So say we have the #3 draft pick (1 game off having the 3rd worst record) Would you take MCW or Oladipo that high? Would you take those two over Shabazz and McLemore?

I personally like the idea of switching knight back to PG and continue to develop him (he is 20 years old - so much room to grow / learn) and draft an athletic / good sized shooting guard who can be somewhat of a go to scorer (potentially)..

idizzle
03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
If they switch him back to PG and they had the 3rd pick I would take Oladipo. He reminds me of D-Wade. The way he attacks the rim. Shabazz and McLemore are overrated to me. Those 2 should stay in school for another year. MCW has great court vision.

dd24
03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
There's no way I would draft Oladipo with the #3 pick. He's not the next Dwayne Wade. I also don't really want McLemore with a pick that high. I'm not really sold on him as a NBA player. I would really look at Marcus Smart or Shabazz Mohammad. Otto Porter is potentially looking like a top 5 pick too. We are thinking too much of Knight. I don't think he's the PG of the future of this team anymore. Marcus Smart could be an extremely good one in this league though. I think letting Calderon walk and drafting him could be a good long term strategy.

idizzle
03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I kind of been thinking that the Pistons should trade Knight too. If the trade him and draft a PG like Smart, then who will be the SG? I don't see Stuckey and Bynum in their plans. Its a toss up on English and Middleton stay too.

dd24
03-19-2013, 11:42 PM
I kind of been thinking that the Pistons should trade Knight too. If the trade him and draft a PG like Smart, then who will be the SG? I don't see Stuckey and Bynum in their plans. Its a toss up on English and Middleton stay too.

I would think either English or Middleton would last at least one more season because they can be kept around pretty cheap. Other than that I don't really see them lasting too long in the NBA. I mentioned that before though. I don't really get my hopes up for too many 2nd rounders.

SG would be the question if we drafted someone like Smart. I would guess Singler would play either SF or SG for now. I think if they draft a PG they'll pursue a SG or SF in free agency or through a trade. I'd really like to see Knight get moved for a 1st rounder next year. I see him being a good combo guard off the bench but that's about it. Maybe he fits somewhere else better but I really didn't like how this season played out.

I would like to have Stuckey around as one of our guards, but the team just doesn't utilize his strengths anymore. Frank always tries to get him to do stuff that is out of his comfort zone. I think he's definitely going to bolt to a better team and be a 6th man / part time starter somewhere else. He can't be happy with how things have played out in Detroit.

Aussie Dunker
03-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Mate I hear what your saying and I respect your opinion - and everyone else as well... But I have seen enough out of a 20 year old PG in Knight, on an extremely bad team (we are, lets face it) we have to give him at-least another year surely? I mean, it is not like Pistons have great vetran leaders at the moment, and it would be extremely hard trying to be the floor general of this developing team. He has a great outside shot and excellent athleticism, he is FAR from a completed product and FAR from reaching his potential, as this is only his second year... Most players take the big step forward in their 3rd year and I would love to see Knight given the chance to do the same with us at the point... Sure some people don't think he can be a floor general, but I think with good coaching and when he develops and learns the game he will be perfectly suited to today's proto-type PG. Imagine if Boston gave up on Rondo after his 2nd year with averages of 10/5 as a starter... Knight at 14/4 is far from being a scrub, and in my humble opinion deserves more time and a bit of faith. I gave Stuckey, and so did a lot of other people, about 5 years worth of faith before finally deciding he wasn't a starter of the future for us... As our team gets better, the game will come a lot easier for him. i think the Pistons and Knight are on the same time frame in terms of growth over the next few years...

But then again, I could be completely wrong ;)

dd24
03-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Knight does have a good outside shot. I agree with that. His athleticism isn't anything great. He's average in that area. I've seen other PG's come into the game on teams just as bad, if not worse and do far more. That's what worries me. The rules in the NBA favor PG's now. That's why having a great floor general like that is such a big deal now. Also you brought up coaching. The Pistons don't have great coaching (and really haven't for a long time). I don't see the coaches helping the development of the younger guys. Am I 100% on let's get rid of him now? Not really. I'm just saying right now his stock is still high. If we have the chance to get a guy like Marcus Smart, then we really have to think about trading Knight. That's my point. If we can get an upgrade at that position, then move him and hopefully get a 1st round pick for him. I see Knight as a 6th man off the bench sort of player. That's not bad, but that's not what we need right now either.

The Calderon trade really opened up my eyes as to how the front office views this situation. If Knight was the PG of the future they definitely wouldn't have done that. Even more so is the fact that they've been so open to saying they want to sign Calderon long term. :wtf: If we just drafted our starting PG why would we invest so much money in another? It's very obvious having Knight and Calderon on the court at the same time is not a good combination. It's actually a pretty dumb move. I don't think it's the type of move a guy like Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich would make. They can put the PR spin on it all they want, but it's apparent the front office pretty much gave up on Knight. Having Calderon as our starting PG scares the hell out of me. Toronto has been awful for quite a while. They needed to go out and get Lowry. So now we're supposed to waste all this cap space on Calderon and a couple other mediocre players? The worst thing that can happen to us is getting stuck in mediocrity.

Aussie Dunker
03-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Yeah you are right, it is a gamble to keep him in the fact that, if he doesn't show much improvement, his trade value diminishes considerably... On the other hand he develops like we thought he would when we apparently stole him at pick 8, then everything works out... It is a tough call to make, but I feel he gets the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he is incredibly intelligent and has a great attitude. In the end I think it comes down to Frank thinking he can use him effectively or not...

Do you think Smart is going to be a pure PG in this league? That is my only concern, would hate to draft another tweener...

dd24
03-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah you are right, it is a gamble to keep him in the fact that, if he doesn't show much improvement, his trade value diminishes considerably... On the other hand he develops like we thought he would when we apparently stole him at pick 8, then everything works out... It is a tough call to make, but I feel he gets the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he is incredibly intelligent and has a great attitude. In the end I think it comes down to Frank thinking he can use him effectively or not...

Do you think Smart is going to be a pure PG in this league? That is my only concern, would hate to draft another tweener...

I think Smart has far more upside and will probably be very good.

Aussie Dunker
03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
I think Smart has far more upside and will probably be very good.

Is he the kind of guy that will happily be feeding our bigs, 8+ assists kind of guy, or will he be more of a combo... That is my only concern. Other than that I love his intensity and intangibles and leadership

dd24
03-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Is he the kind of guy that will happily be feeding our bigs, 8+ assists kind of guy, or will he be more of a combo... That is my only concern. Other than that I love his intensity and intangibles and leadership

Everybody keeps calling him a combo because of his size, but all that he's played in college is PG. He's been a good passer so far, but he is a bit turnover prone. He needs some experience but his size for the position he plays will make him a tough matchup in the NBA. He kinda reminds me of Chauncey when he was young, except Chauncey had a better outside shot.

dd24
03-21-2013, 02:52 AM
I'm ready for the NCAA tournament to start so we can see who steps up this year.

idizzle
03-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Some mock drafts have him going in the 2nd rud. Depending on how NC State advances and how he plays in the tournament his stock might go up.

Aussie Dunker
03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
But probably not top 6 which is where we hopefully will be drafting...

dd24
03-21-2013, 10:29 PM
But probably not top 6 which is where we hopefully will be drafting...

I just hope the ping pong balls somehow fall our way this year. With our cap space and another high pick we could end up being mediocre. That would mean no first round pick next year..... We really have to get a solid player this year.

dd24
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
It's really starting to look like an extremely weak draft class. I haven't been all that impressed by any of the top players in the tournament.

Kombo
03-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Is MCW the only guy who has helped his stock? I'm not so sure he has even helped his own, or if everyone else has just performed so poorly he's looking better and better.

dd24
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Is MCW the only guy who has helped his stock? I'm not so sure he has even helped his own, or if everyone else has just performed so poorly he's looking better and better.

If you would've asked this before yesterday it would've been a no. After yesterday he did help himself. I will say this though, he and Syracuse need to do well against Marquette. If he can do that his stock will go up quite a bit.

The player whose stock has went up the most is Nerlens Noel. Everybody else played so bad Noel looks like he could be the top pick again. At least with him a team knows they're getting a big man who is a solid defender and rebounder. They can hope to work on his offensive game. I'll say it again though, this is a really weak draft class.

dd24
03-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Trey Burke has been so impressive all year yet he's getting overlooked a bit when it comes to draft talk. He doesn't have great size, but the kid can play.

idizzle
03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
MCW and Trey Burks stocks are bananas right now. I still like MCW though. Pistons shouldn't get Burks if they plan on keeping Knight.

dd24
03-30-2013, 07:58 PM
The thing I like about MCW is he's really more of a playmaker for others than he is a scorer. Knight is more of a scorer than a playmaker. They could potentially really compliement each other. At 6'6" and 6'3" they would be able to match up with most backcourts, and either one could handle the ball at any time so it could potentially be dangerous. I'm still not really liking this draft class though. I'm still looking at the same guys; MCW, Muhommad, Porter, and Smart. I'm really thinking Porter and MCW are the fits for this team right now. I definitely wouldn't pass up on Smart though. I think he might have the highest ceiling in this draft.

Aussie Dunker
04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
After watching some more of his games, Porter is really impressing me. I like the thought of a front court that looks like:

Drummond
Monroe
Porter

Some very good play making, hustle, defense and scoring...

Doesn't help our messy, messy back court situation though!

dd24
04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
I've been saying Porter to be in the mix of who we should be looking at too. One thing I've been thinking about lately though is his lack of an outside shot. With big guys like Monroe and Drummond we really need to surround them with shooters. A SF who can hit the 3 would be ideal. I like Porter because he's the best SF available in the draft and it's a position we really need to get more athletic at. If he doesn't develop an outside shot it could really hurt his game and limit him. I'm not sure we're going to draft high enough to get him either. It may take a top 3 pick to land him. Who knows though.

Aussie Dunker
04-02-2013, 02:25 AM
I've been saying Porter to be in the mix of who we should be looking at too. One thing I've been thinking about lately though is his lack of an outside shot. With big guys like Monroe and Drummond we really need to surround them with shooters. A SF who can hit the 3 would be ideal. I like Porter because he's the best SF available in the draft and it's a position we really need to get more athletic at. If he doesn't develop an outside shot it could really hurt his game and limit him. I'm not sure we're going to draft high enough to get him either. It may take a top 3 pick to land him. Who knows though.

I think his outside shot is strong in two regards,

1. He shoots 43% from behind the arc and easily has NBA 3pt range

and,

2. He doesn't fall in love with the 3pt shot, so he isn't going to be jacking them up. I think he will be open a lot more in the NBA than he is in college, especially with Monroe and Drummond up front...

In my opinion he is one of the better shooters from deep in this draft without heavily relying on it

dd24
04-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Yeah, I guess looking at the numbers his percentage is high. The knock on him has been his outside shot, but the numbers are there. I wouldn't be mad at all if we ended up with him. I have a feeling Detroit is going to go after a SG in free agency. Maybe someone like Tyreke Evans or OJ Mayo. I hope the Gerald Henderson rumors aren't true. I like Mayo but we would have a really small back court and wouldn't be a contender. Evans if healthy would make a lot of sense. I could also see them possibly going after Trevor Ariza too. If that was the case they wouldn't draft Porter.

Aussie Dunker
04-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I guess looking at the numbers his percentage is high. The knock on him has been his outside shot, but the numbers are there. I wouldn't be mad at all if we ended up with him. I have a feeling Detroit is going to go after a SG in free agency. Maybe someone like Tyreke Evans or OJ Mayo. I hope the Gerald Henderson rumors aren't true. I like Mayo but we would have a really small back court and wouldn't be a contender. Evans if healthy would make a lot of sense. I could also see them possibly going after Trevor Ariza too. If that was the case they wouldn't draft Porter.

Evans has star potential but again - what position is he going to play? SG?

Drummond
Monroe
Porter
Evans
Knight

We would need atleast 2 of those players to become all-stars to be relevant... But I could deal with this

I am just scared with Evans because there is a huge difference between his best and his worst...

I like Mayo - but again he is undersized

Ariza can plug a hole, but I'd prefer him off the bench

Gerald Henderson??? No, just no...

dd24
04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Drummond
Monroe
Porter
Evans
Knight

We would need atleast 2 of those players to become all-stars to be relevant... But I could deal with this

I am just scared with Evans because there is a huge difference between his best and his worst...

Evans is a 2 guard for sure. He has the size to play that position. What scares me with him is his health. He's restricted anyhow so I would think Sacramento would think really hard about matching.

Anyway, those are the FA's Detroit is thinking about. So depending on who we draft will dictate who Detroit goes after in free agency. Ariza is a starter in the NBA. He's not the most appreciated guy, but he can play. He was a starter on a very good Lakers team. People don't seem to remember all he did for them. The thing I like with going after a guy like Ariza is he won't be super expensive. If we could get him for 6 million per season, then we'd still have money to resign our young rookies and still go after another player.

Oh and I could see more than one player on that list potentially being an all-star. Monroe has the potential, Drummond does, Evans does, and maybe even Porter could.

Aussie Dunker
04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Anyway, those are the FA's Detroit is thinking about. So depending on who we draft will dictate who Detroit goes after in free agency. Ariza is a starter in the NBA. He's not the most appreciated guy, but he can play. He was a starter on a very good Lakers team. People don't seem to remember all he did for them. The thing I like with going after a guy like Ariza is he won't be super expensive. If we could get him for 6 million per season, then we'd still have money to resign our young rookies and still go after another player.

Oh and I could see more than one player on that list potentially being an all-star. Monroe has the potential, Drummond does, Evans does, and maybe even Porter could.

You make some very good points on Ariza - I guess teams needs players like him, glue guys who play hard defense that can stretch the floor :cheers:

Yeah I agree all have potential to make all-star teams - I ment we need two of them to actually fullfill that potential and become all-stars

el gringos
04-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I see this years draft as a very interesting draft. The top 7 players could go in any order- no consensus order

Pg-m smart
Sg-Mclemore
Shabazz m
Pf- a Bennett
Pf/c- Noel
Zeller
Olynyk

Way I see it is that if the pistons pick 5-7 shabazz is the most likely pick, if they win a top 3 pick I see Mclemore as the most likely pick.

If you have Bennett and Zeller on the board would you really pick porter or oladipo?

dd24
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I see this years draft as a very interesting draft. The top 7 players could go in any order- no consensus order

Pg-m smart
Sg-Mclemore
Shabazz m
Pf- a Bennett
Pf/c- Noel
Zeller
Olynyk

Way I see it is that if the pistons pick 5-7 shabazz is the most likely pick, if they win a top 3 pick I see Mclemore as the most likely pick.

If you have Bennett and Zeller on the board would you really pick porter or oladipo?

I don't really want to draft McLemore as a top 3 pick. I'd hope we'd have a chance at Porter or Smart. Which answers your last question, yes I would pick either of those guys over Bennett and Zeller. I don't see how either fit on our team with Drummond and Monroe. It actually makes me laugh that there's mock drafts that have us selecting Bennett. Sure some places list him as a SF but he's a PF and he's only 6'7". Bennett will be a bust IMO.

Zeller makes no sense at all. We just used a lottery pick on Drummond, who is a better player. I like Zeller actually. The only reason I would pick him would be to trade him to a team that really wanted him though. Drummond is the future C here and we still have Kratsov as a backup who has shown quite a bit of promise. I think next year we'll have a solid 4 man rotation of Monroe, Drummond, CV, and Jerebko with some more Kratsov sprinkled in there. Yes I did say CV. I don't think they'll amnesty him and pay him to play for another team. He's actually been pretty decent when he got a chance this year. Having a big that can stretch the floor is pretty important.

I could still see us drafting Shabazz possibly. Then we could go out and try to get someone like Ariza in free agency.

el gringos
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't really want to draft McLemore as a top 3 pick. I'd hope we'd have a chance at Porter or Smart. Which answers your last question, yes I would pick either of those guys over Bennett and Zeller. I don't see how either fit on our team with Drummond and Monroe. It actually makes me laugh that there's mock drafts that have us selecting Bennett. Sure some places list him as a SF but he's a PF and he's only 6'7". Bennett will be a bust IMO.

Zeller makes no sense at all. We just used a lottery pick on Drummond, who is a better player. I like Zeller actually. The only reason I would pick him would be to trade him to a team that really wanted him though. Drummond is the future C here and we still have Kratsov as a backup who has shown quite a bit of promise. I think next year we'll have a solid 4 man rotation of Monroe, Drummond, CV, and Jerebko with some more Kratsov sprinkled in there. Yes I did say CV. I don't think they'll amnesty him and pay him to play for another team. He's actually been pretty decent when he got a chance this year. Having a big that can stretch the floor is pretty important.

I could still see us drafting Shabazz possibly. Then we could go out and try to get someone like Ariza in free agency.
I guess we see porter at a different level. I see him a level or more behind the top group and that it would be a bad move to draft position of need over talent.

I like smart over Mclemore as well but would draft smart as a pg.

I also don't think it would be the worst move to draft a big if that's the best player in the spot no matter how highly you think of the 2 you g ones you have. There is enough time for 3 guys to play 30 mins

dd24
04-03-2013, 02:12 PM
I guess we see porter at a different level. I see him a level or more behind the top group and that it would be a bad move to draft position of need over talent.

I like smart over Mclemore as well but would draft smart as a pg.

I also don't think it would be the worst move to draft a big if that's the best player in the spot no matter how highly you think of the 2 you g ones you have. There is enough time for 3 guys to play 30 mins

We'd end up losing one of those bigs in the long run. It just doesn't make sense. Like I said, I'd do it for a trade, and if it could help out our back court situation I'd do it.

I agree, Smart is a PG. That's where I would want to draft him at. Most everybody has Porter as a top 3 pick right now. He needs to bulk up a bit, but outside of that he really seems like a Danny Granger type player to me, which for this draft is solid. It seems like it's going to be a really weak draft.

idizzle
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM
I like Shabazz but he just seem like a headcase. These are guys Tim Hardaway Jr, MCW, Porter and Lorezo Brown.

Aussie Dunker
04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Lets say we get pick 5 (probably the most probably projected position)

If we get Mclemore at #5 I'm happy - he fills a need and has the tools to be successful in the NBA.

If we get Shabazz at #5 i'm happy - obviously incredibly talented, worth taking at this position and fills a need

If we get Smart at #5 i'm happy - only if Dumars trades knight for something really good, because I wouldn't want to keep him around and experiment with him as a 2-guard...

If we get Porter at #5 i'm happy - reminds me a little bit of Batum, and fills a need..

Those are the only 4 guys I would be happy with, the only 4 guys that makes sense to draft... Obviously this is a weaker draft, so expectations are down, but still hoping for a starting player who can make a real impact on our team..

Aussie Dunker
04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
What do people think about trey burks?....

dd24
04-04-2013, 12:05 AM
What do people think about trey burks?....

I'm really liking what Trey Burks is doing right now. I think this Final Four will be very interesting with MCW playing against Burks. That's going to tell us a lot. Sure Syracuse plays a zone, but both of their guards are much taller and it'll be good to see how Burks handles the size difference. I think Burks has probably worked his way into the top 10. He may just be the best PG in college basketball. I'm not sure yet. Smart is the overall guy who I'd pick first. But Burks is really working his way in there. If we draft #5 I'd really consider Burks. I'm not sure what to do with Knight. I think Burks is a better pure PG and he definitely has more speed. His size concerns me, but a guy like Ty Lawson has done pretty good in the league so far. I really think PG is probably the most important position in the NBA now. Knight worries me as a long term solution as the Pistons keep trying to tell us he is. I'm telling you guys, that Calderon trade speaks volumes to me. Either Knight is the PG or take him off the court because he is just too small and he doesn't have the game of a Monta Ellis.... (and I wouldn't want Monta on my team either, lol, he's just too small for his position).

For your other post, yeah if we land at 5 any of those players is a solid pick. I'm just scared about Bennett at #5. He reminds me of a poor mans Derrick Williams. Williams is too small to play PF and too slow to play SF. In the right system he could be good at PF.... Since I don't see Bennett as good as him I don't see him being good in the NBA. He has bust writtten all over him to me. I'd really like to see us in the top 3. We need a chance at one of the better players in this draft.

veilside23
04-04-2013, 02:25 AM
porter could be staying in college ... what do you guys think of glenn robinson III?

dd24
04-04-2013, 02:49 AM
porter could be staying in college ... what do you guys think of glenn robinson III?

Porter would be crazy to stay in college. You've got guys like Parker and Wiggins who will be at the top of that draft class. He's not moving up any higher. They all say they might stay at first.....

As a U of M fan I like Robinson III. As a lottery pick I don't. I don't see him being a go to starter in the NBA. I like Burke and I actually think McGary has a chance to be the best of the bunch in the NBA. He was a top recruit coming into the season. He kind of got lost in the depth of the team for a bit. Someone is going to get a steal with him.

Kombo
04-04-2013, 06:56 PM

Drummond
Monroe
Porter
Evans
Knight

For what it's worth, Henderson has been lighting it up.

dd24
04-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Here's an article about the Pistons rebuilding process and it mentions a bit about free agency.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/5/4183768/detroit-pistons-nba-greg-monroe-andre-drummond

Kombo
04-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Here's an article about the Pistons rebuilding process and it mentions a bit about free agency.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/5/4183768/detroit-pistons-nba-greg-monroe-andre-drummond

Ouch, I didn't realize our pick to the Bobcats was only top 8 protected next year. There are going to be some good players 9-15, where we'll probably be picking.

I really hope Joe can pull some magic out from that dusty old hat of his. I trust him, but my patience is wearing thin. Another disasterous free agency and we'll be set back another 3-4 years.

dd24
04-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Ouch, I didn't realize our pick to the Bobcats was only top 8 protected next year. There are going to be some good players 9-15, where we'll probably be picking.

I really hope Joe can pull some magic out from that dusty old hat of his. I trust him, but my patience is wearing thin. Another disasterous free agency and we'll be set back another 3-4 years.

Yup, this is why I've been saying I'm so scared of being stuck in mediocrity. I'm sure they're going to spend that money and everybody sees how bad this free agent class is for us. I'd almost rather not even sign a FA this year. If Joe D pulls another BG & CV sort of offseason I think fans will finally turn on him. It'll be the last straw. We've been loyal to him forever, but if he wastes this cap space then I'm going to be really upset. OJ Mayo isn't turning around the Pistons..... neither is Gerald Henderson lol. Next season there is a guy who for sure is going to turn around one organization. That's Andrew Wiggins. This year wasn't the year to be bad. Next year is. I'm not saying let's be worse next season, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying the way things are playing out they don't look good right now. We're only a few players away. We're just in a really tough position to get those players. I'm hoping for some kind of trade that will land us a player we need, rather than going the FA route.

Also, what everyone needs to keep in mind is really no team as become a contender through free agency. Outside of the Miami Heat (which those were technically trades....) I can't think of a somewhat recent champion who turned things completely around through free agency. The Lakers did it through trades, the Celtics traded for KG, Spurs built through the draft & surrounded those players by smart trades, 06 Miami was a Shaq trade, even the Pistons had to trade for Sheed, Rip, Ben, & Chauncey.

Aussie Dunker
04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Now I really want Trey Burke! haha, he played great in the championship game - I think his stock is going to jump...

dd24
04-09-2013, 07:54 PM
He definitely will be a lottery pick now. I don't think his stock is higher than Marcus Smart's. I wouldn't mind Trey Burke though. He looks like he'll be good. His size scares me.

idizzle
04-09-2013, 10:18 PM
I like Burke, but if the Pistons keep Knight at SG then the backcourt is going to be undersize. Burke is 6'0 and Knight is 6'3. They aren't exactly the 2nd coming of Isiahh Thomas and Joe Dumars lol.

dd24
04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
I like Burke, but if the Pistons keep Knight at SG then the backcourt is going to be undersize. Burke is 6'0 and Knight is 6'3. They aren't exactly the 2nd coming of Isiahh Thomas and Joe Dumars lol.

Absolutely. I guess I should've expanded what I was thinking. Knight would be the new 6th man since Stuckey is probably going somewhere else. I think if Knight was going to be the PG of the future they wouldn't have traded for Calderon, publicly stated that they want to resign him, and tried to sell the public on Knight being a SG. Joe D seems to think undersized backcourts are ok, since him & Isiah got it done back in the day. Unfortunately, we don't have two future Hall Of Famers at those positions so it's just not going to work the same. Plus we don't have the bench to make up for it either. If we go into the season with Knight and Calderon as our starting guards management should really start thinking about Joe Dumars role with the Pistons.

idizzle
04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
@dd4, Exactly.

I highly doubt Caldreon is going to re-sign with the Pistons. He's 31 and and he sai that he's looking to play with a contender like the Mavs.

dd24
04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
@dd4, Exactly.

I highly doubt Caldreon is going to re-sign with the Pistons. He's 31 and and he sai that he's looking to play with a contender like the Mavs.

I'd like to see him on the Mavs. They need a PG. It makes sense as they will have cap space as well.

There's mock drafts that have Smart dropping to us. I think the Bobcats would be stupid to not draft Nerlens Noel if they have the opportunity. They need a big man bad.

Cleveland is probably going to end up drafting before us. They already drafted a PG in Irving, a SG and C last year in Waiters and Zeller, and they drafted a PF in Thompson. Unless they seem to think Bennett can play SF (which nobody does) they're going to draft Porter if they get the chance.

Orlando would likely draft McLemore in that scenario. I could see them taking a chance on Smart, but with McLemore there it wouldn't make sense.

I don't know why Phoenix would draft another PG. They already have a couple of them, so I would think they would go big. If Porter is there they could draft him. I could definitely see them going after Bennett or Len. Nonetheless, it's another team that could be ahead of us that would draft Porter.

Of course all this is based on records since the ping-pong balls haven't fallen yet, but it really doesn't look like we have a chance at Porter unless we somehow move up a few spots. However, it does look like a player like Smart could fall to us. In which case, Knight would still need to eventually be a 6th man...... As bad as it sounds PG might be the best position to draft. Unless we have a guy like McLemore fall to us it doesn't make sense to draft SG. There's not another impact SF in the top 5..... Shabazz I'm a little scared about right now. He really doesn't have a position in the NBA either. He's a tweener for SG & SF.

dd24
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
It's starting to look like Tim Hardaway Jr. could possibly fall to the 2nd round. I'd take a chance on him in round 2. Deshaun Thomas out of Ohio State should be there. Adreian Payne of MSU could too. There's a good chance we could end up with a Big 10 guy, lol.

I'll pass on Russ Smith out of Louisville. He's listed as a PG but he didn't play it.... Siva was the point. But at 6'0" all he can be listed as is a PG. I don't want anything to do with him.

dd24
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Well, there's no chance of getting Marcus Smart now.... he's staying in college for another season for some crazy reason. It doesn't make much sense for a guy who was predicted to be in the top 3 picks in the draft to stay. That typically hasn't helped anybody in the past. Also, James McAdoo is staying at UNC. He would've been picked somewhere after 20. I can see why he would stay because he didn't have the season he should have and was supposed to be a top 10 pick in the preseason. If he plays well next season he could bring his status back up.

Nonetheless it looks like we'll be drafting where we have been the last few seasons........ I'm so bummed out about that. This season was the season I was hoping to actually get a top pick and turn things around. We have our front line. We could really use a back court player. I guess I'm hoping a guy like Shabazz falls to us now. Maybe Trey Burke will, but he could very well be a top 5 pick. He is the best PG in the draft and that is the most important position in the NBA. I guess we have to hope for a blockbuster trade.

dd24
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
This draft class just got even weaker... Michigan's Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III are going to return to the Wolverines next year. It looks like the Big 10 will be stacked again as Indiana has a good class coming in, MSU does as well and Harris is staying there, and now Michigan has two of it's key pieces returning.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22097547/michigans-mcgary-robinson-both-returning-to-school

Michigan freshmen Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III will return to school, sources told CBSSports.com.

The pair will make an official announcement Thursday at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Both players were considered first-rounders, according to several NBA executives. The 6-foot-10 McGary was terrific in the NCAA tournament after playing sparingly for much of the season. Robinson was also up and down through his freshman campaign, but NBA general managers still love his potential.

McGary averaged 7.5 points and 6.3 rebounds this season, playing fewer than 20 minutes per game. During the tournament, though, McGary put up 14.3 points and 10.7 rebounds. Robinson averaged 11.0 points and 5.4 boards.

Michigan lost Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr., early to the NBA, but the Wolverines -- who lost to Louisville in the national title game -- will return McGary, Robinson, Nik Stauskas, veteran big man Jordan Morgan and point guard Spike Albrecht.

dd24
04-25-2013, 07:43 PM
This draft keeps getting weaker and weaker. I'm really suprised at the number of guys who have decided to stay. McDermott is playing his senior season now. So is Russ Smith. Neither of which would have been on the Pistons radar, but it does make others who may have been move up a few spots to teams that may now snag them. People are starting to project quite a few Europeans to get selected in the 1st round now. Possibly up to 6.

If we draft 7th we don't have a chance at Otto Porter or Trey Burke. They're off the list now. McLemore will definitely be in the top 4 picks too.

I'm looking at guys like Muhammad, Williams-Carter, and even Adetokoubo. Theres now a lot of mock drafts that have us selecting Cody Zeller just because he's the best available at where we'll be picking. Granted we would have an awesome front line, but that would still make us really weak outside.

It may be worth while to look into moving down a few picks even. If we could package our two 2nd round picks and move into the first round that might be better to get a servicable player. Those 2nd round picks are basically worthless. We have the cap space to give a 1st round pick a contract (since it's guaranteed) and take the gamble they turn into something decent. There may be a team that doesn't have much cap space that would be willing to give up a later 1st round pick for two 2nd rounders that they won't have to pay as much or they can just cut. Maybe we could take a gamble on a guy like DeShaun Thomas in the late first round if we moved up from the 2nd. Him and a guy like Muhammad or Carter-Williams would be a pretty good draft.

veilside23
05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
hardway jr will be the starting sg for you guys in the future .. i just think that because of his size and shooting he will be able to put up a decent starter numbers... not all star maybe but quality numbers ...

Nastradamus
05-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Starting to think Jamaal Franklin could be an option at 7 or 8. Oladipo is who I really want in the end, though I do love Mclemore too. Oladipo's motor, defense and athleticism are just what this team needs.

dd24
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Starting to think Jamaal Franklin could be an option at 7 or 8. Oladipo is who I really want in the end, though I do love Mclemore too. Oladipo's motor, defense and athleticism are just what this team needs.

I'm still really unsure what Oladipo is going to be able to do at the next level. It's not like he's an immediate upgrade over Stuckey. Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of drafting the best available player, regardless of the position they play. If Zeller is there we would really have to think about it. At least he would probably be a good trading piece packaged with someone else. I'm ready for the draft lottery tomorrow.... I want to know where we're drafting for certain.

dd24
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
The more I keep reading about potential players in this draft it's really looking thin at the guard positions. A lot of people think we might go after CJ McCollum. I'm not really sure how I feel about another combo guard. We know Joe D loves them though.

The first round is actually very deep for bigs. Noel, Len, Zeller, Olynyk, Plumlee, Dieng, Gobert, Noguiera, Withee, and Adams will all more than likely go in the first round. People are saying Steven Adams is the best C of the bunch now. I've even read where people are saying he's one of the few guys in this draft that will be an all-star. They're saying he could make it into the lottery now. Zeller has been very impressive lately too. Before the season he was considered the #1 pick in the draft. I see him going higher than people have been thinking lately. He's bigger than people realized, faster, and more athletic.

I think the Pistons must be trying to work on a trade if we end up with #7 tomorrow. I could see them packaging both of our 2nd rounders to try to get another late first round pick. I'd really like to make a run at drafting Glen Rice Jr. He seems like he could be the best SG in the draft potentially, even over McLemore. He's moving up the draft boards too.

Nastradamus
05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm still really unsure what Oladipo is going to be able to do at the next level. It's not like he's an immediate upgrade over Stuckey. Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of drafting the best available player, regardless of the position they play. If Zeller is there we would really have to think about it. At least he would probably be a good trading piece packaged with someone else. I'm ready for the draft lottery tomorrow.... I want to know where we're drafting for certain.

I'm much less certain what Zeller will be able to do at this level than I am with Oladipo. As someone said recently, he's one of the few guys in this draft you know won't get you fired. I think his floor is Tony Allen, his ceiling somewhere between Iggy and Wade.

I don't see us landing a Lebron/Durant any time soon, so I think a great way to be able to compete with superstars like that is to be able to defend them, as well as attack the weaknesses of their teams. Drummond helps with both and Oladipo would be a huge help with the former. We need defense, athleticism and effort and he brings all of it. I think he's a huge upgrade over Stuckey, especially 2013 Stuckey. Calderon,Knight,Oladipo would be a very good backcourt IMO, with a very diverse skillset. THey all complement each other very well. You have a good mix of shooting, passing and defense.

Nastradamus
05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Love the idea of getting a guy like Rice late in the 1st. I also wonder if a team like OKC might want to trade up to 7. I could see them targetting a guy like Bennett,Zeller or Mccollum. We could get their late 1st in this deal and get a Franklin/Rice combo or something of the like.

dd24
05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Love the idea of getting a guy like Rice late in the 1st. I also wonder if a team like OKC might want to trade up to 7. I could see them targetting a guy like Bennett,Zeller or Mccollum. We could get their late 1st in this deal and get a Franklin/Rice combo or something of the like.

I almost like doing that better.

In reply to the other post too, I don't think Oladipo will be around at #7. The choices are just too slim on the perimeter this year. I really don't see him as the next Dwayne Wade. Little SG's scare me. He has a huge chance of ending up just as injury prone as Wade. Zeller is a freak athlete. Didn't he just measure the highest vertical of anybody over 6'9" in years? He may not be around at #7 even.

The other thing with a trade with OKC is they have Jeremy Lamb too. I'm not really sure why he didn't get more playing time this year but he's a guy who could potentially fit at SG with us too.

dd24
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
These ping pong balls never go our way. We've moved down a spot again.....

dd24
05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't know how the Cavaliers and Wizards always get those good picks.

dd24
05-21-2013, 09:10 PM
It's kind of ironic there was all that talk about Detroit winning the tie-breaker with Washington. I'm pretty sure Washington just won that tie-breaker, lol.

dd24
05-22-2013, 02:32 PM
It seems like every mock draft has us taking CJ McCollum now. It makes no sense to me to have two guys in our back court who are both 6'3". They must plan on keeping Stuckey around if that's the case. Personally I would much rather have Glen Rice Jr. I think he's really going to surprise people. There's a slight chance he would fall to us in the 2nd round but I doubt it. I would really like to package both of our 2nd rounders and move up a bit to grab him. Then with our lottery pick we can take a gamble on someone like Shabazz.

dd24
05-22-2013, 04:33 PM
It sounds like the Mavericks want to get rid of their 1st round pick (#13). They want to clear cap space so they can't take on any money meaning they would have to trade it to a team under the cap. I would think they could trade it to the Pistons for their second round picks. Then they could draft some overseas players and leave them over there for a year or two so they don't have to sign them right away. That would give us #8 and #13, we could possibly package those and move up to get a guy like Burke, Porter, or McLemore. Or we could just keep the two first rounders and go after Shabazz and someone like Hardaway Jr or Rice Jr.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/22/report-mavericks-looking-to-move-no-13-pick-to-clear-out-cap-space-for-run-at-howard-cp3/

Nastradamus
05-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I almost like doing that better.

In reply to the other post too, I don't think Oladipo will be around at #7. The choices are just too slim on the perimeter this year. I really don't see him as the next Dwayne Wade. Little SG's scare me. He has a huge chance of ending up just as injury prone as Wade. Zeller is a freak athlete. Didn't he just measure the highest vertical of anybody over 6'9" in years? He may not be around at #7 even.

The other thing with a trade with OKC is they have Jeremy Lamb too. I'm not really sure why he didn't get more playing time this year but he's a guy who could potentially fit at SG with us too.

Lamb's pretty young and was behind guys like Martin,Jackson and even Thabo. Its hard to break in rookies, especially ones who left as sophomores, on a title contender. I'd like to get him, but they say they expect big things from him this year.

Oladipo isn't small. He's 6'4, solidly built and has freakish length and athleticism. He's rarely going to see an opposing SG more than an inch taller than him and often he'll be taller. I'm not going to not draft a guy based on the idea that he might become injury prone, but for no specific reason.

He's not Wade though, never thought he was. I can't think of a great comparison. Tony Allen pre-injury with better shooting or something like that I guess. I think he'd be a fantastic fit here. Defintely not there at 7 though.

Nastradamus
05-23-2013, 02:43 PM
It sounds like the Mavericks want to get rid of their 1st round pick (#13). They want to clear cap space so they can't take on any money meaning they would have to trade it to a team under the cap. I would think they could trade it to the Pistons for their second round picks. Then they could draft some overseas players and leave them over there for a year or two so they don't have to sign them right away. That would give us #8 and #13, we could possibly package those and move up to get a guy like Burke, Porter, or McLemore. Or we could just keep the two first rounders and go after Shabazz and someone like Hardaway Jr or Rice Jr.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/22/report-mavericks-looking-to-move-no-13-pick-to-clear-out-cap-space-for-run-at-howard-cp3/

We'd have to take Marion and his 9.2 million dollar salary. We saved 13 or 14 mil by trading Gordon and giving up our 1st rounder next year, so it'd be a net gain and I'd probably do it.

I also wonder if something like Jerebko and both 2nds for Marion and Cunningham(10.5 combined salary) woudl get it done. Save them 6 mil, give them 2 cheap picks(could stash one overseas and trade another for a future 2nd if they didn't want them this year) and a useful player in JJ who is probably better than Marion at this point.

Then maybe we grab something like Zeller/Bennett and Caldwell-Pope/Rice/Shabazz, or whatever you prefer.

Aussie Dunker
05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Then maybe we grab something like Zeller/Bennett and Caldwell-Pope/Rice/Shabazz, or whatever you prefer.

You think Zeller would be happy to be the first big off the bench as he wouldn't be a starter as long as moose and Dre are in town?

Do you think Bennett could potentially play the 3?

If no to both questions I am not sure why we would waste a pick on a front court player.

At #8, depending on his workouts, I think Shabazz could be worth the risk... He was the #1 prospect 6 months ago for a reason. He does have quite a bit of potential...

I do like Caldwell too... #8 might be too high to take him though - more of a 10-15 range player..

dd24
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Lamb's pretty young and was behind guys like Martin,Jackson and even Thabo. Its hard to break in rookies, especially ones who left as sophomores, on a title contender. I'd like to get him, but they say they expect big things from him this year.

Oladipo isn't small. He's 6'4, solidly built and has freakish length and athleticism. He's rarely going to see an opposing SG more than an inch taller than him and often he'll be taller. I'm not going to not draft a guy based on the idea that he might become injury prone, but for no specific reason.

He's not Wade though, never thought he was. I can't think of a great comparison. Tony Allen pre-injury with better shooting or something like that I guess. I think he'd be a fantastic fit here. Defintely not there at 7 though.

Oladipo is barely 6'4" and while he has a chance to start on some teams I just don't see him as the guy we need. We need a scorer. Obviously defense is important to me as well but we need someone who can create. I think Glen Rice Jr. has a better all around game right now. Nonetheless, Oladipo won't be around for us to draft anyhow.

dd24
05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
You think Zeller would be happy to be the first big off the bench as he wouldn't be a starter as long as moose and Dre are in town?

Do you think Bennett could potentially play the 3?

If no to both questions I am not sure why we would waste a pick on a front court player.

At #8, depending on his workouts, I think Shabazz could be worth the risk... He was the #1 prospect 6 months ago for a reason. He does have quite a bit of potential...

I do like Caldwell too... #8 might be too high to take him though - more of a 10-15 range player..

I think Zeller could be coming off the bench in his rookie season for a lot of teams that may potentially draft him. There's plenty of room for 3 bigs in a lineup.

I'm not a big Caldwell fan at #8. That's too high for him. I just don't see him as having a high enough ceiling. I think we need to go with a high-risk / high-reward kind of player. This draft is just too weak. Either that or best available, like a Zeller.

dd24
05-23-2013, 07:27 PM
We'd have to take Marion and his 9.2 million dollar salary. We saved 13 or 14 mil by trading Gordon and giving up our 1st rounder next year, so it'd be a net gain and I'd probably do it.

I also wonder if something like Jerebko and both 2nds for Marion and Cunningham(10.5 combined salary) woudl get it done. Save them 6 mil, give them 2 cheap picks(could stash one overseas and trade another for a future 2nd if they didn't want them this year) and a useful player in JJ who is probably better than Marion at this point.

While I'm sure they'd think about moving Marion's salary I don't think that's necessarily a deal breaker. Marion has been solid for them. They might like to keep him around if they're going to try to make another run. I know he's been in rumors before but he's a lock down guy for them still. I can't see them moving Cunningham. He had a pretty impressive rookie season. He's cheap, produces well, and has some upside.

dd24
05-24-2013, 04:27 PM
If the Wolves stay at No. 9, one league source predicts Saunders will take UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad. Word has it that the Wolves like him. But so does Detroit, and they pick one spot ahead of the Wolves. 1500 ESPN

Read more at http://*********.com/rumors.htm#45j1OTrgHvybMtrx.99

Yup, it's long been rumored that the Timberwolves are looking at Muhammad. I would doubt he'd slide by them. There is a chance they would go big though. Who knows if Pekovic stays. Portland is interested in him too....

dd24
05-26-2013, 04:41 PM

There's now a rumor that Cleveland might trade for Marion. They would give up 3 of their picks (19, 31, & 33, not the #1 obviously) and he + the #12 pick would be sent to Cleveland. I'm guessing that would fill their hole at SF and then they would draft Noel. That's probably how Dallas goes after Howard too.

idizzle
06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
The Detroit Pistons today released a list of some of the players who have worked out for the team in advance of the June 27 NBA Draft, including some familiar names locally. Korie Lucious, the former Michigan State guard who later transferred to Iowa State, was one of 16 players on the list, as were Detroit native and Iowa State teammate Will Clyburn.

- Booth Newspapers

dd24
06-07-2013, 10:34 PM
I tried to view the link but it wouldn't let me.

Kombo
06-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Ellis just opted out, I am so scared of our cap space.

dd24
06-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Ellis just opted out, I am so scared of our cap space.

That makes two of us. The first thing I thought of when he opted out is how much Joe D wants a scorer in the back court...... You can't pair him & Brandon Knight together.

dd24
06-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Shane Larkin seems like a longshot for where the Pistons are drafting. Although maybe they think that even though he's projected in the mid-first round he could fall to them in the 2nd??? I wouldn't be happy at all if they drafted him 8th lol. Or it could be they might be moving up a bit in the draft. Anyway around it I think he's going to be a bench guy in the NBA.

Nastradamus
06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Larkin equals Bynum.

KCP I'd be cool with.

I still badly want Franklin, hope we acquire another pick.

dd24
06-21-2013, 12:45 PM
I'd actually prefer Bynum over Larkin as long as we're talking for the next couple of years. I still prefer Glen Rice Jr. to Franklin. I think Rice Jr. is going to be a steal. He's going to be a guy who can score right away for a team. If Cleveland really does take Len #1 that could shake things up. Someone like Trey Burke could potentially slide to us. It's a long shot but crazy things have happened in the draft before. I still like Shabazz Muhammad. I don't see why his stock is falling so much. The guy had a pretty good college season. He led his team in scoring and the won their division. He's going to be able to score at the next level. He's not the superstar that people thought he would be but he'll be a starter. He needs to learn how to use his off hand more, but so do a lot of college guys. If we don't get that player that falls to us, then I still like taking a gamble on him. At the begining of the season we all were talking about how if we could get a top 3 pick and having a chance at him how things could potentially turn around. Although the last couple of years the #1 high school recruit hasn't turned out as good as the #2, lol (BJ Mullens, Josh Selby, Austin Rivers, people could even throw Beasley in there...).

dd24
06-21-2013, 01:30 PM
They talked about drafting Ryan Kelly with our last pick in the preview they've been doing on the Pistons website. I like the idea of having a cheaper Charlie V type player with that pick. Although I still like packaging those two picks and moving up better. There has to be a team that's over the cap that wants our two 2nd round picks for their late 1st rounder.

Nastradamus
06-21-2013, 05:15 PM
I'd actually prefer Bynum over Larkin as long as we're talking for the next couple of years. I still prefer Glen Rice Jr. to Franklin. I think Rice Jr. is going to be a steal. He's going to be a guy who can score right away for a team. If Cleveland really does take Len #1 that could shake things up. Someone like Trey Burke could potentially slide to us. It's a long shot but crazy things have happened in the draft before. I still like Shabazz Muhammad. I don't see why his stock is falling so much. The guy had a pretty good college season. He led his team in scoring and the won their division. He's going to be able to score at the next level. He's not the superstar that people thought he would be but he'll be a starter. He needs to learn how to use his off hand more, but so do a lot of college guys. If we don't get that player that falls to us, then I still like taking a gamble on him. At the begining of the season we all were talking about how if we could get a top 3 pick and having a chance at him how things could potentially turn around. Although the last couple of years the #1 high school recruit hasn't turned out as good as the #2, lol (BJ Mullens, Josh Selby, Austin Rivers, people could even throw Beasley in there...).

Shabazz can score, but it might be more like Nick Young scoring. He's among the lowest or the lowest in the SF crop as far as assists,blocks,steals and boards. He also turns it over more than he assists. He does score a lot(highest usage rate though) and gets to the line, which I like. He's a worker too.

I like Rice, so I don't have a huge quibble with that, but I definitely like Franklin better. His length and athleticism are something we really need, as well as his aggressiveness attacking the paint. Wouldn't mind Rice's shooting either.

Nastradamus
06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
They talked about drafting Ryan Kelly with our last pick in the preview they've been doing on the Pistons website. I like the idea of having a cheaper Charlie V type player with that pick. Although I still like packaging those two picks and moving up better. There has to be a team that's over the cap that wants our two 2nd round picks for their late 1st rounder.

I probably wouldn't package them to move up. I'd rather gamble on 2 guys. The difference between 25 and 45 is small this year. Get a Muscala or Mccallum/Green at 38 and maybe an international guy to stash at 56.

el gringos
06-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Burke will still be on the board but shouldn't be the pick. If you aren't picking one of the bigs 6-10 you should trade it to someone who will

Villenueva, Jerebko, stuckey, pick 8

For

Shumpert, amare

dd24
06-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Burke will still be on the board but shouldn't be the pick. If you aren't picking one of the bigs 6-10 you should trade it to someone who will

Villenueva, Jerebko, stuckey, pick 8

For

Shumpert, amare

That's crazy. Nobody wants Amare's contract. Plus we already have Monroe and Drummond. I'd rather see them play. I don't mind Shumpert, but he's not the scorer that we need to help the team out.

dd24
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
I probably wouldn't package them to move up. I'd rather gamble on 2 guys. The difference between 25 and 45 is small this year. Get a Muscala or Mccallum/Green at 38 and maybe an international guy to stash at 56.

The more I think about it the more I think it's wrong to keep them both. Everybody gets enamored with our 2nd rounders and a few years later they're typically lucky to still be in the NBA. Here's who we've drafted over the last few years in the 2nd round:

Khris Middleton
Kim English
Kyle Singler
Vernon Macklin
DuJuan Summers
Jonas Jerebko
Deron Washington
Sammy Meija
Will Blalock
Amir Johnson
Alex Acker
Ricky Paulding

Out of all those players the only ones that are in a rotation anywhere are Singler and Johnson. Neither of which are special players by any stretch of the imagination. I like Jerebko but he wasn't in our rotation for the most part. So there's about 2 1/2 players on that list. 2nd rounders are way overrated. Package those picks and get us someone we can potentially use.

Nastradamus
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Here's the thing,they're cheap gambles. They cost you almost nothing. Also, you aren't likely to move up much, if at all, for 37 and 56.

We've found some good talent in the 2nd. Jerebko clashed with Frank it seems, but he's a 4 or 5 win player on average. Middleton showed promise and Singler seems like he could be part of an NBA rotation. Johnson is a pretty solid big man in this league and we also picked up Okur and even Rebraca in the 2nd.

Not to mention other teams have found guys from Ginobili to Boozer in the 2nd. Plus you can usually find a Euro to stash for a while and you have the D league now, so you can get them more playing time and wait to make decisions.

If anything, I'd want to use 56 and cash to move up, using two higher 2nd roudners. I'd LOVE to get Wolters and Roberson/Muscala

Nastradamus
06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
The Amare trade posed above actually wouldn't be that horrible, without the 8 pick included of course. That part is ridiculous.

Here's the thing, he did play well and would add a different element. We'd murder other teams up front and Shumpert would be a nice fit in our backcourt, where we need some size, athleticism and defense.

It could be a total bust of a move, but there's a couple other factors. One, we have to spend 90% of the cap and two, he comes off the books in 2 years, right when a Monroe extension would start. So if we didn't really have anyone to spend our cap space on short term, taking a gamble on him wouldn't hurt us a ton. He'd be an interesting expiring contract after next season as well, especially if he ended up playing well.

dd24
06-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Here's the thing,they're cheap gambles. They cost you almost nothing. Also, you aren't likely to move up much, if at all, for 37 and 56.

We've found some good talent in the 2nd. Jerebko clashed with Frank it seems, but he's a 4 or 5 win player on average. Middleton showed promise and Singler seems like he could be part of an NBA rotation. Johnson is a pretty solid big man in this league and we also picked up Okur and even Rebraca in the 2nd.

Not to mention other teams have found guys from Ginobili to Boozer in the 2nd. Plus you can usually find a Euro to stash for a while and you have the D league now, so you can get them more playing time and wait to make decisions.

If anything, I'd want to use 56 and cash to move up, using two higher 2nd roudners. I'd LOVE to get Wolters and Roberson/Muscala

There's a lot of teams that are basically trying to give away their first round picks because they don't have any cap space. We do. A mid to late first rounder isn't all that expensive. It's just a guaranteed contract vs. 2 non-guaranteed for the 2nd rounders. I'd rather have the extra roster spot open so we can make a trade. There's a lot of good names getting thrown out there in the trade discussion now. For us to be able to compete with Indiana & Chicago we really need another big time player and a solid contributor off the bench, not guys who will be in the d-league. Even an earlier 2nd rounder would be better, if there's someone who slips.

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2013, 05:23 AM
I am warming to the idea of Cardwell-Pope - The more I see footage of him the more I think his game translates to the pros - Rangey SG who has a very nice touch from outside, very athletic and huge potential as a defender too - I read somewhere that he is pretty much a taller version of Mclemore but doesn't get the same attention because he played for a college that isn't as prestigious...

I really don't want to grab Bennett - massive talent, but tweener forwards have a very hard time thriving in this league, just ask Derrick williams, Thomas Robinson, who both play a similar brand and were both a lot more highly regarded...

As much as I hate combo guards, McCollum is growing on me, again, very similar to both curry and lillard, and they have both dominated in todays style of play

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2013, 05:25 AM
I also see that Bobcats want to trade Kidd-Gilchrist so they can draft Porter at #4

I would happily offer then our #8 for him!!! But doubt they would pull the trigger on that, but who knows, weirder stuff has happened...

dd24
06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
I am warming to the idea of Cardwell-Pope - The more I see footage of him the more I think his game translates to the pros - Rangey SG who has a very nice touch from outside, very athletic and huge potential as a defender too - I read somewhere that he is pretty much a taller version of Mclemore but doesn't get the same attention because he played for a college that isn't as prestigious...

I really don't want to grab Bennett - massive talent, but tweener forwards have a very hard time thriving in this league, just ask Derrick williams, Thomas Robinson, who both play a similar brand and were both a lot more highly regarded...

As much as I hate combo guards, McCollum is growing on me, again, very similar to both curry and lillard, and they have both dominated in todays style of play

I absolutely agree about Bennett. He's actually supposed to be better than the other guys you mentioned but I really don't like those guys who don't have a true position in the league. Plus we have Monroe and Drummond.

I think Caldwell-Pope was a higher rated prospect coming out of high school over McLemore wasn't he (even though there's an age difference)? I would be a little leary about drafting him, but we do need a SG. Actually a lot of people seem to think Oladipo may get drafted before McLemore now too.

McCollum can go somewhere like the T-Wolves. I've heard his stock is falling fast. There's a lot of people out there saying he is not a PG at all and doesn't have the same skill set as Lillard. People are saying he just doesn't have those handles and it's shown in his workouts. He may be able to score the ball, but since we already have Knight I'm not sure what kind of role he could have on this team.

There's been numerous reports that Shabazz has had very good workouts. I still see him as being a very good fit too.

Nastradamus
06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
There's a lot of teams that are basically trying to give away their first round picks because they don't have any cap space. We do. A mid to late first rounder isn't all that expensive. It's just a guaranteed contract vs. 2 non-guaranteed for the 2nd rounders. I'd rather have the extra roster spot open so we can make a trade. There's a lot of good names getting thrown out there in the trade discussion now. For us to be able to compete with Indiana & Chicago we really need another big time player and a solid contributor off the bench, not guys who will be in the d-league. Even an earlier 2nd rounder would be better, if there's someone who slips.

Don't get me wrong, I love that 18-28 area of the draft. I'd love an extra pick there.

Nastradamus
06-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I think Bennett does have a position fwiw. He's a PF. He's a little short, but he has a huge wingspan, plus athleticism and good strength.

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I think Bennett does have a position fwiw. He's a PF. He's a little short, but he has a huge wingspan, plus athleticism and good strength.

Yeah I would tend to agree with this - it is not often a "tweener" forward ends up being a SF due to the majority of todays power forwards being somehwta stretch 4's.

I guess the PF position has evolved to be a tweener position in itself.

For an SF - I would much rather a rangey wing player like a Leonard / Batum type skill set...

A player who fits this mold who is looking to be drafted between 14-22 range is Giannis Adetokoubo. I wouldn't mind trying to trade into that area of the draft...

Do you guys see Shabazz as a SG, or a SF?...

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2013, 09:22 PM
nbadraftnet.com has Porter slipping to us at #8... This would be amazing - but highly, highly unlucky. Would be highly unlucky he makes it outside of the top 4...

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Apologies for the triple post, but is there any chance what so ever that Franklin will fall to us in the second round>? Damn his stroke is so fluent / quick / effective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oG8mWEI81h0#at=342

Nastradamus
06-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Porter might not fall, but I get a good feeling that someone will fall to us that shouldn't. Guys like Len and Zeller are rising, Bennett and Noel should go in front of us and hopefully 2 of Mccollum,Burke and MCW will go in front of us too. If things work out similar to that, we get one of Oladipo,Mclemore or Porter

Nastradamus
06-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Apologies for the triple post, but is there any chance what so ever that Franklin will fall to us in the second round>? Damn his stroke is so fluent / quick / effective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oG8mWEI81h0#at=342

Franklin might be the guy I want most in the draft. I think he goes around 17 or 18, worst case maybe mid 20s.

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Porter might not fall, but I get a good feeling that someone will fall to us that shouldn't. Guys like Len and Zeller are rising, Bennett and Noel should go in front of us and hopefully 2 of Mccollum,Burke and MCW will go in front of us too. If things work out similar to that, we get one of Oladipo,Mclemore or Porter

If we can get one of those 3, then we have had another massive win in the draft :applause:

But if this doesn't happen, I would look at trading down to get a guy like Franklin and another player in that range instead of picking the wrong guy at #8 like a Bennett or MCW

#8 for Jazz #14 + #21

#8 for Hawks #17 + #18

Wonder if those would work :confusedshrug:

dd24
06-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I do think there will be suprises tomorrow night. There's definitely going to be trades. I just don't see one of those players sliding to us this year. I think teams are going to go after the guards much earlier this year. They've been the guys who've come in and been the most effective. That doesn't really help us out. I saw the Porter thing. I think it was just something to generate discussion. I don't see that happening. Oladipo will be long gone by the time we pick too. His stock is sky high right now.

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 12:33 AM
I do think there will be suprises tomorrow night. There's definitely going to be trades. I just don't see one of those players sliding to us this year. I think teams are going to go after the guards much earlier this year. They've been the guys who've come in and been the most effective. That doesn't really help us out. I saw the Porter thing. I think it was just something to generate discussion. I don't see that happening. Oladipo will be long gone by the time we pick too. His stock is sky high right now.

This is true, however, if the draft plays out like this:

#1 - Len (we want this)
#2 - Mclemore
#3 - Bennett (we want bennett to go here to have a chance)
#4 - Noel (bobcats want porter, but will not be able to pass up Noel here)
#5 - Oladipo (it seems like Mclemore / Oladipo will go #2 and #5 either order)
#6 - Burke
#7 - McCollum (kings will take Burke if he is available, but are very high in McCollum)
#8 - Porter...

It is not too hard too see a draft look something like this - If Len and Bennett are both top 3, I say we are a fairly good shot at Porter

dd24
06-27-2013, 01:35 AM
This is true, however, if the draft plays out like this:

#1 - Len (we want this)
#2 - Mclemore
#3 - Bennett (we want bennett to go here to have a chance)
#4 - Noel (bobcats want porter, but will not be able to pass up Noel here)
#5 - Oladipo (it seems like Mclemore / Oladipo will go #2 and #5 either order)
#6 - Burke
#7 - McCollum (kings will take Burke if he is available, but are very high in McCollum)
#8 - Porter...

It is not too hard too see a draft look something like this - If Len and Bennett are both top 3, I say we are a fairly good shot at Porter

I already read the same mock draft. Porter is just too good to not go to someone before us. I actually think teams are trying to not talk about him because they don't want to tip their hand and let others know who they're after.

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 01:44 AM
I already read the same mock draft. Porter is just too good to not go to someone before us. I actually think teams are trying to not talk about him because they don't want to tip their hand and let others know who they're after.

Exactly right my friend - I think the whole Alex Len to the cavs is just smoke and mirrors, not sure how you can go from the low teens to #1 in a matter of a month or so without really doing anything...

I still think Zeller is the best big man. Best skills and best athleticism and best smarts. Not sure why he has fallen out of favour

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Th
e Thunder are likely to get a Top 5 pick by offering up #12, #29, #32 and Dallas' future (protected) first-round pick.

It might be worth the Bobcats looking at a option like this that would give them more depth.

If this is true, then that takes away one of the teams that might have taken Porter (Thunder arn't taking Porter)

dd24
06-27-2013, 02:28 AM
Th

If this is true, then that takes away one of the teams that might have taken Porter (Thunder arn't taking Porter)

I would say that's a win/win trade too. There's a lot of guys in this draft who could be your 3rd or 4th best offensive option, which is really what OKC needs. If they moved up and took a big who can score they would be scary (not that they aren't). One thing people forget about with OKC is they still have Jeremy Lamb on the roster so they don't really need a SG like everyone keeps trying to say. If Lamb was in this draft there's a lot of people who would take him ahead of Oladipo and McLemore. I think next year we'll see more of him, especially if Martin ends up leaving that team.

dd24
06-27-2013, 02:44 AM
Exactly right my friend - I think the whole Alex Len to the cavs is just smoke and mirrors, not sure how you can go from the low teens to #1 in a matter of a month or so without really doing anything...

I still think Zeller is the best big man. Best skills and best athleticism and best smarts. Not sure why he has fallen out of favour

I still think Len is the best fit for Cleveland. I really do like Zeller and agree his stock shouldn't have fallen this far. But, after his workouts and seeing what he did against more physical teams in college it does look like Zeller is more of a 4 than a 5. He's got a decent outside shot too, so I could see teams using him that way. Len has a better back to the basket game. What people forget is Maryland didn't have anything at PG, and bigs need guys to get them the ball. Also Cleveland has been rumored to be trying to trade for a veteran SF. I could see them going after Porter if they feel like they can't land one of those. Although, what's interesting is Varejao could be the trading chip for one of those deals, which would mean they need a C. Len is going to be a much better offensive threat than Varejao anyhow. If they end up keeping him then they will be able to develop Len a little more. They already have Thompson who has proved he's going to be a pretty solid PF. Noel is more of a PF as well so he doesn't make that much sense as the #1 pick. Even though it's been said that Cleveland loves Oladipo they just drafted Waiters and he seems pretty good too. A young core of Irving, Waiters, Thompson, and Len sounds pretty good. Throw in a veteran SF and that's a nice team.

If Noel is at #2 I think he's a great fit in Orlando. That would be a nice young front line they would have there.

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Len / Noel
Ibaka
Durant
Lamb
Westbrook

Over the next 5 years - that just isn't fair

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 02:51 AM
I would happily trade #8 for Dion Waiters if cavs wanted to take Oladipo at #1 and then do whatever with #8, perhaps Zeller. I agree with you about him being a tweener PF and C because he doesn't have that enforcer skill set about him - but think he would fit in well next to Thompson as i think there skill sets compliment each other nicely..

But I don't care about the cavs haha, i'd happily take Waiters off their hands for them - he is a stud

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
DAMN IT!

Mclemore dropped to 7 - Would of been an amazing steal @8

dd24
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
DAMN IT!

Mclemore dropped to 7 - Would of been an amazing steal @8

Now we just have to hope that Caldwell-Pope is the better of the two (like some people were saying).

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Now we just have to hope that Caldwell-Pope is the better of the two (like some people were saying).

haha me included! But i guess i didn't expect to see Mclemore still available at #7

Pope is a better shooter than I think most people realize

Would love to trade for a pick soon to take Franklin but not going to happen..

Do you think Pope starts at the 2 for us?

Aussie Dunker
06-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Do you think we should of taken Burke instead of Pope?

ZMonkey11
06-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Do you think we should of taken Burke instead of Pope?

Burke is nice, but we would have a very undersized back court. I was really hoping for MCW. His IQ while distributing to Drummond, Monroe, and setting up shots for Knight would have been great.

Oh well, here is hoping for the best.

dd24
06-28-2013, 01:20 AM
haha me included! But i guess i didn't expect to see Mclemore still available at #7

Pope is a better shooter than I think most people realize

Would love to trade for a pick soon to take Franklin but not going to happen..

Do you think Pope starts at the 2 for us?

Yeah, if McLemore would've fallen to us that would've been crazy. I guess we can't get that lucky all these years in a row. I think whether Pope starts or not depends on the Stuckey situation. If he ends up on another team Pope should be the starter. It'll be interesting how Cheeks feels about playing rookies. As we all know Knight, Monroe, and Drummond started out coming off the bench. It'll really depend on how he looks in summer league and in preseason too. It's tough to say whether he's starting material yet. If Stuckey is there though, I think he'll be starting in the beginning of the season at least.

dd24
06-28-2013, 01:23 AM
There is a part of m that would've loved to have picked Burke too. Although that would have basically meant Knight would need to be traded. I'm curious what we're going to do with the SF position.

dd24
06-28-2013, 05:34 AM
James Ennis almost fell to us at the bottom of the 2nd round. I like our 2nd rounders better this year than last. It's pretty obvious what they think of English anyhow. He's not going to be around for the long haul. Tony Mitchell was a guy who could've been in the late first round. He could be a backup sort of player potentially. Peyton Siva is a good choice for the end of the draft. If we resign Bynum I don't see him playing this season though. His game doesn't really seem like it will translate to the NBA. I'm sure it was a toss up between him & Myck Kybongo and Siva probably won the coin toss.

Aussie Dunker
06-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I wonder after Pelicans took Noel at #6, what it would of taken us to get pick #7 from the kings?

Knight + 2014 first round pick? Heck, I would of gone Knight + 2014 + 2015 first round picks...

#7 Mclemore
#8 Burke

C - Drummond
PF - Monroe
SF - ?
SG - Mclemore
PG - Burke

That is something I could get excited about - then perhaps look to signing Iggy at SF to complete our team for the next 5 years

Nastradamus
06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Hey, I was almost right about one of those big 3 falling to us. Damn Kings!

Still, I"m pumped about the Pope pick. We needed some length,athleticism and shooting from the 2 and the 3. Pope takes care of one of those spots. He's a great fit to grow with Drummond and Monroe. PG will be easier to find in FA or via trade. I'm all about Teague or Jennings, but I'd be ok with Calderon too.

My ideal offseason is one of those guys plus Webster and a backup C like Pachulia.

dd24
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Hey, I was almost right about one of those big 3 falling to us. Damn Kings!

Still, I"m pumped about the Pope pick. We needed some length,athleticism and shooting from the 2 and the 3. Pope takes care of one of those spots. He's a great fit to grow with Drummond and Monroe. PG will be easier to find in FA or via trade. I'm all about Teague or Jennings, but I'd be ok with Calderon too.

My ideal offseason is one of those guys plus Webster and a backup C like Pachulia.

I really don't want Calderon back. If we signed Jennings that would be awesome. I'm not sure that he would come to Detroit though. He seems like he wants to go to a bigger market. The tough part with that is those teams don't have as much cap room. I could see him teaming up with Dwight Howard in Dallas though.

I'll pass on Webster. There's no sense in getting mediocre guys. I'm so scared we're building a team that could end up with the #7 or #8 seed in the playoffs. That's about the worst possible place a NBA team can be at. We'd be stuck with no money to go after a FA to get better, and we wouldn't even have a first round pick next year...... the Pistons would be stuck in mediocrity.

I feel like Joe D has a trade he's trying to make. I would think the teams in our division wouldn't want to give us Deng or Granger. I really like Granger but the guy hasn't played a full season for as long as I can remember. He's getting to the age that you can't pay him big money with his injury history either. Pierce was already traded so that's not happening. Chicago really isn't shopping Deng like the media tries to lead us on to believe as well. I think Chicago really wants to make a run at the title next year so there's a good chance they hold onto him. I think Indiana has the same hopes too, so they might keep Granger and limit his minutes. SF is going to be an extremely difficult position to figure out. I'm out of ideas now. It doesn't help that next year we could be in the toughest division. Chicago and Indiana are going to be very good. Cleveland has a nice young core and they look like they'll end up with a few decent FA's too. I'd almost rather not sign anybody and just let our rookies develop.

Nastradamus
06-28-2013, 02:58 PM
If we can sign a star or two, so be it. You have to remember though, we have to spend 90% of the cap and we're like 20 million, minimum, under the cap. We have to spend on someone. Might as well sign up a starting caliber SF like Webster(as we arguably have no SF on the roster right now) for the short term if we have to spend the money anyways. Guys like him will come off the cap as we are looking to extend Monroe,Drummond and co.(maybe Knight/KCP etc.)

I understand preferring a younger guy like Jennings I guess, but at the same time Calderon is such a far superior player. One of the most efficient players of all time actually. Lead the league in 3 point shooting last year and is always good for a 110 O rating at the least. Plus assist man, low turnovers and he won't demand a huge contract in terms of dollars or years. No idea why you'd have zero interest in him. Pairs well with Knight and Pope too, as Knight can come in at the point and give us a little better D and scoring when we want a different look.

Nastradamus
06-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Random fact I thought was interesting.

ESPN's pre-draft projected WARP article had KCP 3rd and Mitchell 14th.

dd24
06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
If we can sign a star or two, so be it. You have to remember though, we have to spend 90% of the cap and we're like 20 million, minimum, under the cap. We have to spend on someone. Might as well sign up a starting caliber SF like Webster(as we arguably have no SF on the roster right now) for the short term if we have to spend the money anyways. Guys like him will come off the cap as we are looking to extend Monroe,Drummond and co.(maybe Knight/KCP etc.)

I understand preferring a younger guy like Jennings I guess, but at the same time Calderon is such a far superior player. One of the most efficient players of all time actually. Lead the league in 3 point shooting last year and is always good for a 110 O rating at the least. Plus assist man, low turnovers and he won't demand a huge contract in terms of dollars or years. No idea why you'd have zero interest in him. Pairs well with Knight and Pope too, as Knight can come in at the point and give us a little better D and scoring when we want a different look.

The Wizards really struggled at SF. That's why they took Otto Porter. Pretty much every mock draft even said how weak that position was for them. Webster is hardly a star. He shouldn't even be a starter in the NBA. He's really more of a tweener too (SG/SF). I don't want to overpay him. He's not even a top 50 free agent.

As for the Calderon thing, he just doesn't play defense. He is an efficient offensive player. There's a reason a team like Toronto traded him though. I actually think he fits better in Dallas anyhow. I don't see them winning a championship with him, and I don't see us winning a championship with him.

If we look at the top FA players CP3 and Howard aren't coming to Detroit. Then you have Josh Smith. I don't see us signing him because we have Monroe and Drummond. There's no need for a PF like him on our team. Very good player but not the position of need. Everybody talks about Iguodala. We don't need a SG anymore. We just drafted one. He's not a SF. He's not going to be able to guard Lebron, Melo, George, Deng, etc. Going out there with a lineup of him, Stuckey/KCP, & Knight wouldn't be enough to compete. Tyreke Evans doesn't make that much sense either. He's more of a tweener PG/SG. Again we just drafted KCP and we have Knight. We could move Knight to the bench or trade him. I'm not sure he's really the PG of the future anyway. If they sign a big time PG like Jennings that will speak volumes of how the front office really feels about him. Anyway, if you look at the top FA's I just don't see anyone who's a great fit. This is a horrible year for us to have extra money based on the needs we have. I don't see a half way decent SF until you look way down the lists to Marvin Williams or Shawn Marion (who Dallas would love to trade). Those aren't the types of players I really want to invest in. Who are the stars that you want to sign? I think we're better off with a couple of one year contracts. Or if there's a blockbuster trade that could be made, but I just don't see anyone who's really available that helps us get back to where we were.

Nastradamus
06-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Webster was a 6 win player last year(ahead of Iguodala, who would cost twice as much) and is 6'7 210-220. He's most definitely a SF and a starting caliber player. He's far from a star, but he's a good 3 and D type and wont' require a huge or long term contract. I think he's exactly what we need at the 3 and there aren't better options out there if you ask me, not at the SF position. No thanks on Marvin Williams.

Again, we have to spend money this year and I think we either need to go long term, big money on potential stars or short term, mid level money on guys like Webster,Pachulia, Calderon etc.

Calderon doesn't D, but his O most certainly outweighs that. He is a career 119 O rating player and a career 111 D rating player. A plus 8 per 100 possessions is pretty phenomenal, no matter how you do it.

Aussie Dunker
06-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Singler / Middleton both have some good role playing traits at the 3, but will be suited best as players off the bench. I see one of these two being a good back up SF for us moving forward, Singler is leading the race so far..

Can Tony Mitchell play some SF? I don't see why not... Reminds me of a guy who plays like a more passive Josh Smith, in terms that he can either be a big 3 or an athletic 4...

I would like to sign granger - only if it is not going to break the bank.

Rudy Gay will be a free agent next summer - seems like he would be a good fit with our current lineup,

Aussie Dunker
06-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Also wouldn't mind signing Aminu at a reasonable price at SF,

He was high on our radar in the 2010 draft in which we were lucky enough to grab Monroe. If Monroe had been chosen, I think we would of drafted Aminu.

3 years into his career, he has shown potential as a strong bodied athletic wing who could be a nightmare on defense and a good slasher. He rebounds very well and has active hands. He has struggled a bit so far, but in the right team and with the right guidence I think he can develop into a very handy starting SF. The big setback for him is that he doesn't have a jumpshot - If he could work on being atleast an average shooter, not great, but good enough to hit an open shot, this would be a great low risk signing..

dd24
06-30-2013, 05:20 AM
I want no part of any of them. It's so tough that we have money this year.... Joe D is prolly shaking his head (shd). His job is the main one on the line.

Nastradamus
06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Sounds like we are heavily interested in Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala. Joe's main focus seems to be adding a defensive SF with plus length and athleticism. I can get behind that personally. I'd imagine we sign one of them and Calderon.

Then all of a sudden we have a pretty huge frontline with plus defensive abilities and a sweet shooting backcourt. It might not be the perfect team, but it has an identity and a lot more talent than last year's squad. You have a solid bench of guys like Knight,Jerebko,Stuckey,Middleton/Singler,Kratsov and Charlie V. YOu probably need a cheap defensive C. Jason Collins? Zaza Pachulia?

dd24
06-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Sounds like we are heavily interested in Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala. Joe's main focus seems to be adding a defensive SF with plus length and athleticism. I can get behind that personally. I'd imagine we sign one of them and Calderon.

Then all of a sudden we have a pretty huge frontline with plus defensive abilities and a sweet shooting backcourt. It might not be the perfect team, but it has an identity and a lot more talent than last year's squad. You have a solid bench of guys like Knight,Jerebko,Stuckey,Middleton/Singler,Kratsov and Charlie V. YOu probably need a cheap defensive C. Jason Collins? Zaza Pachulia?

I just read that we're interested in Josh Smith too. He's a very good player, but he's also a PF and not a SF. Atlanta tried to play him at the 3 before and he wasn't good there. In Detroit he would need to play that position. It worries me a bit, but at least if we spend all of our money on him if it didn't work out he would be a tradeable asset. I'd prefer him over Igoudala too.

dd24
06-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Also wouldn't mind signing Aminu at a reasonable price at SF,

He was high on our radar in the 2010 draft in which we were lucky enough to grab Monroe. If Monroe had been chosen, I think we would of drafted Aminu.

3 years into his career, he has shown potential as a strong bodied athletic wing who could be a nightmare on defense and a good slasher. He rebounds very well and has active hands. He has struggled a bit so far, but in the right team and with the right guidence I think he can develop into a very handy starting SF. The big setback for him is that he doesn't have a jumpshot - If he could work on being atleast an average shooter, not great, but good enough to hit an open shot, this would be a great low risk signing..

If Aminu was cheap I'd think about it. He's young, and I like keeping our team young. He had flashes of being very good last season. He also had some really bad stretches. He's probably best suited coming off the bench, but on a deep team he could be a very good option for that.

dd24
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
The other thing I was just thinking about with Josh Smith is that he's not a good outside shooter. How does that mesh with a front line of Drummond and Monroe? Does everybody remember how Smith was rumored to go to the Lakers last year in a trade? Then everybody realized that he wouldn't fit well there because of his lack of an outside shot. I really like Smith as a player. Defensively he's a top 20 guy in the NBA (maybe even top 10). It just feels like at SF we need a guy who can space the floor more for our young bigs. If Smith can somehow all of the sudden do that, we'd have an extremely good team.

Aussie Dunker
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM
The other thing I was just thinking about with Josh Smith is that he's not a good outside shooter. How does that mesh with a front line of Drummond and Monroe? Does everybody remember how Smith was rumored to go to the Lakers last year in a trade? Then everybody realized that he wouldn't fit well there because of his lack of an outside shot. I really like Smith as a player. Defensively he's a top 20 guy in the NBA (maybe even top 10). It just feels like at SF we need a guy who can space the floor more for our young bigs. If Smith can somehow all of the sudden do that, we'd have an extremely good team.

I agree...

Even though Iggy isn't the biggest SF and doesn't have the best outside shot on him (although it has drastically improved and is now demands respect from beyond the arc) I feel like he would be a far better option there than Josh Smith for us. He is a great defender, very smart, very athletic, very good creator and very team orientated. His skill set and tendencies would work well with Knight's skill set and tendencies as Iggy likes the ball in his hand and Knight is a great shooter. The biggest reason why I wouldn't mind this move is because I feel Iggy is a great locker room presence and a great role model for our younger players. He is very professional and could help set the standard that is to be expected moving forward for the young core we have.

Drummond
Monroe
Iggy
Pope
Knight

6th - Stuckey

I could easily get around that moving forward...

Nastradamus
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Seems like we are trying quite hard for Smith. I'm uncomfortable with his shooting as well, but at the same time, he is an all star caliber player and will only be turning 31 when his contract expires. Though he isn't a perfect fit as a 3 offensively, he could be incredibly useful defensively as a 3, when we go against guys like Lebron,Durant,Melo,George etc.

dd24
07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Austin Daye is a FA too. The Grizzlies didn't make a qualifying offer. I wouldn't mind bringing him back (as long as it isn't for too much money).

ZMonkey11
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm on board for Iggy. We are sorely lacking in the veteran leadership area. I don't see that leadership coming from Josh Smith.

Aussie Dunker
07-02-2013, 01:57 AM
dd24 - we have always agreed about Daye - is still only 24 and will be very cheap you would think. Worth a shot as he still has all that untapped potential...

I think Smith is more a boom or bust signing than Iggy, who would be a much safer pick, but not going to set the league on fire. If Smith can successfully move full time to SF next to the twin towers, that could be a very, very devastating front court, and a defensive nightmare if you’re a team that likes attacking the rim.

Would give us a lot of lineup flexibility because Monroe can legitimately play PF and C and Smith can legitimately play SF and PF.

Dre + Monroe

Monroe + Smith

Dre + Smith

Gives us a few different looks.

Nastradamus
07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I think signing Smith is less risky due to his age, but wouldn't hate Iguodala either.

What do people think the max potential of this lineup is?

Calderon Knight Siva
KCP Stuckey/Singler
Smith Jerebko/Middleton
Monroe Charlie V Mitchell
Drummond Kratsov(and maybe a Jason Collins type)

I'm not sure its a worse lineup than someone like Indiana or Chicago is rolling out there, if Drummond comes close to reaching his potential.

dd24
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I think signing Smith is less risky due to his age, but wouldn't hate Iguodala either.

What do people think the max potential of this lineup is?

Calderon Knight Siva
KCP Stuckey/Singler
Smith Jerebko/Middleton
Monroe Charlie V Mitchell
Drummond Kratsov(and maybe a Jason Collins type)

I'm not sure its a worse lineup than someone like Indiana or Chicago is rolling out there, if Drummond comes close to reaching his potential.

I like Smith more than Iggy too. I think he's the better defensive player and he's more suited for SF than Iggy. I don't think it's the best position for either of them though. I see Igoudala as more of a 2 and Smith as more of a 4. With Smith he can play that spot and Monroe or Drummond can be at C which I see as more valueable. I don't think Calderon resigns, so that lineup will be a bit different. I also don't see KCP as the starter on the first game of the season. Anyway around it, that should be a lineup that would fight for a 8 seed into the playoffs. I've always said it, but that's about the worst spot you can be at in the NBA. You don't have cap space to get better and you don't have lottery picks to get better. That's exactly how you get stuck in mediocrity.

Nastradamus
07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
8 seed this year, sure, but I think its a tough argument to make that its ceiling is an 8 seed for years to come. You'd have to really not believe in Drummond, at the least.

dd24
07-02-2013, 01:22 PM
8 seed this year, sure, but I think its a tough argument to make that its ceiling is an 8 seed for years to come. You'd have to really not believe in Drummond, at the least.

I think defensively that front line would be extremely intimidating. Scoring is what would really scare me. Smith doesn't always take the smartest shots ad he's not that good outside on the perimeter.

Nastradamus
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I think defensively that front line would be extremely intimidating. Scoring is what would really scare me. Smith doesn't always take the smartest shots ad he's not that good outside on the perimeter.

True, but we would have a top 3 guards who could all potentially shoot 37%+ from 3 and Calderon can help guys like Smith and Drummond get efficient shots at the rim.

dd24
07-02-2013, 04:05 PM
True, but we would have a top 3 guards who could all potentially shoot 37%+ from 3 and Calderon can help guys like Smith and Drummond get efficient shots at the rim.

It's really the guard play that scares me more than anything. We have no clue what we have with KCP. Knight may never be a true PG, but is at least a good outside shooter. Stuckey is more of a slasher and hasn't always been used right in Detroit. Calderon won't necessarily be a Piston.

Nastradamus
07-02-2013, 04:10 PM
It's really the guard play that scares me more than anything. We have no clue what we have with KCP. Knight may never be a true PG, but is at least a good outside shooter. Stuckey is more of a slasher and hasn't always been used right in Detroit. Calderon won't necessarily be a Piston.

Sure, but the question was bout a lineup including Calderon. Knight as a 3rd guard doesn't leave near as much to worry about. We already know he can shoot 3s.

Aussie Dunker
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
8th seed this year, but when Monroe is in his 6th, 7th, 8th year and Drummond is in his 4th, 5th, 6th year - I expect these guys to be ABSOLUTELY dominating the entire league. They are indeed still very young and even very raw when you look at how far they can still develop.

I am happy with the pieces we have and think that if Knight can reach is potential, we have a contending team in 3 years time.

Nastradamus
07-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Yah, people underrated Monroe especially. He compares very well to guys like Aldridge and Lopez at the same age.

dd24
07-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Well, even though it's a draft thread we've been off topic for a bit and it would likely just be us in this thread to respond if we make a new one anyhow.... It looks like the Pistons won't be getting Iggy. The Kings offered him a huge contract. I'm sure Detroit isn't going to try to top that.

The latest rumor is Detroit wants to trade for Rudy Gay. They'd be sending the expiring contracts of Stuckey and CV to the Raptors. I actually think he would be a much better fit than Igoudala or Smith anyhow. He's expensive but it's a much shorter contract. I often wondered why the Pistons let Toronto get him instead of making the trade for him themselves earlier this season. I actually find it a bit odd that Toronto would let him go already. They have some really good young players. Anyway around it, I would gladly take him.

PG- Knight
SG- KCP
SF- Gay
PF- Monroe
C- Drummond

That's enough to get higher than an 8 seed into the playoffs as long as KCP can provide what we hope at SG. That's a lineup that would give us much better outside shooting and it would be one that could get up and down the floor fast. Hopefully we could resign Bynum to be a backup PG. There's teams showing interest in him. Singler could play the 2 or 3. There's always English who could be used if someone got hurt too. I wouldn't mind bringing back Daye if that trade went down too. He could play SF or be the stretch 4 that we would need.

Nastradamus
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Raptors turned us down and say they aren't dealing Gay right now

Sacramento pulled the offer from Iggy, but sounds like Denver has a bigger one on the table.

Aussie Dunker
07-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Is there any way we can do this trade for Gay, and sign Iggy as well?

Drummon
Monroe
Gay
Iggy
Knight

With KCP off the bench with ample minutes to develop him...?

That could be a very, very good team over the next 4 years if Dre and Monroe develop the way in which we want them too...

Nastradamus
07-03-2013, 07:29 PM
If so, you'd probalby have to deal Knight. That's the only piece they'd probably want from us for Gay.

Maybe Knight and Stuckey for Gay(adds 6 mil to cap, leaving about 14)

Amnesty Charlie V(takes you to 22-23 mil in cap space)

Sign Iggy for 4/56(that's what its going to cost it seems)

Use the rest to sign Calderon and Bynum(or someone similar), filling out an otherwise empty PG position.

Probably add a vet min C a la Jason Collins

Calderon Bynum Siva
Iggy KCP English
Gay Middleton/Singler
Monroe Jerebko Mitchell
Drummond Kratsov/Collins

RIP CITY
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I've been reading for 3 days now that the Pistons "end game" seems to be a new starting PG/SG/SF. They've shown interest in trading and/or signing a player at each position.

We've been linked to trading for Rondo. I just read that if Calderon leaves we'd be interested in Jarrett Jack (I'd much rather have Jack than Calderon). Also heard we have some interest in Chauncey Billups as well. That's PG.

We had a meeting supposedly set up with O.J. Mayo, which obviously looks like it won't be happening now. Met with Tyreke Evans as well, he's obviously going to be in New Orleans or Sacramento now. Andre Iguodala is still our #2 target behind Smith. That's SG.

We were at Smith's door at 12:01, so he's our top target. Iggy can play SF or SG, and he's our #2 target. Tried to trade for Rudy Gay. That's SF.

I read on Monday that our master plan was to sign Smith AND Iguodala, then trade for Rondo. One of the signings would have had to be a sign-and-trade but I heard that's the ultimate goal.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out but to be honest, I'm not very optimistic about any of those players coming here at the end of the day. I still think Smith goes to Houston, Iggy stays in Denver, Boston keeps Rondo, Raptors keep Gay. With Evans and Mayo all but off the market, that leaves us with pretty much nothing, maybe Jarrett Jack if he wants to be a starter which Golden State can't offer him. Even J.R. Smith and Kevin Martin are gone (not that I wanted anything to do with either one, I'm glad they are off the market so we can't use them as plan B's if the above doesn't work out).

dd24
07-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I'd be suprised if Boston traded Rondo already.

Aussie Dunker
07-04-2013, 01:22 AM
If we can get Rondo and keep Monroe and Drummond,

We are laughing.

And then if we can sign one of Smith / Iggy / trade for gay too...

Wow...

dd24
07-04-2013, 01:37 AM
If we can get Rondo and keep Monroe and Drummond,

We are laughing.

And then if we can sign one of Smith / Iggy / trade for gay too...

Wow...

I don't see how that roster could even stay together for more than a few seasons. Drummond and Monroe are going to need to be paid at some point.

Aussie Dunker
07-04-2013, 05:22 AM
I don't see how that roster could even stay together for more than a few seasons. Drummond and Monroe are going to need to be paid at some point.

You do raise a good point...

Hmm...

Maybe we would be better off just with a SF and developing the young potential we already have

Nastradamus
07-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I'd be suprised if Boston traded Rondo already.

They really need to now with the STevens hire IMO. Here's a good breakdown.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=148

Nastradamus
07-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Cool idea I saw on another board. SO, the Lakers have been resistent to sign and trading Dwight. However, the Warriors are a team he really likes, so maybe we could help facilitate the move. They were said to be offering Bogut and Barnes(or Thompson), but to sign him outright, they'd have to dump Biedrins or Jefferson too.

So maybe something like Kyle Singler(another shooter to help fill out their roster and so its not just a nothing for all trade) for Bogut,Biedrins and Barnes.

You amnesty Charlie V and sign a PG and fill out the roster with 1 year deal types. You then either have a ton of money for next year's class or you can use the expiring deals to make more moves.

Either way, you have a young core of Knight,KCP,Barnes,Monroe,Drummond with no major cap comitments going forward.

dd24
07-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Cool idea I saw on another board. SO, the Lakers have been resistent to sign and trading Dwight. However, the Warriors are a team he really likes, so maybe we could help facilitate the move. They were said to be offering Bogut and Barnes(or Thompson), but to sign him outright, they'd have to dump Biedrins or Jefferson too.

So maybe something like Kyle Singler(another shooter to help fill out their roster and so its not just a nothing for all trade) for Bogut,Biedrins and Barnes.

You amnesty Charlie V and sign a PG and fill out the roster with 1 year deal types. You then either have a ton of money for next year's class or you can use the expiring deals to make more moves.

Either way, you have a young core of Knight,KCP,Barnes,Monroe,Drummond with no major cap comitments going forward.

Very interesting. I'd love to have Barnes. He was one of the guys I was interested in drafting last year. Bogut when healthy is a beast. I wouldn't want him to hinder Drummonds development though. Maybe he could eventually be flipped for another player at the guard position too.

Nastradamus
07-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Very interesting. I'd love to have Barnes. He was one of the guys I was interested in drafting last year. Bogut when healthy is a beast. I wouldn't want him to hinder Drummonds development though. Maybe he could eventually be flipped for another player at the guard position too.

Yah, Bogut is just an expiring in this exercise. I'd try to flip him for something like Perkins and Lamb maybe. Perkins is expensive, but I'd take on an extra year of him to get Lamb. That'd be a sick wing trio with lots of length and shooting to complement our bigs. Perkisn would actually be a pretty ideal backup too.

dd24
07-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Yah, Bogut is just an expiring in this exercise. I'd try to flip him for something like Perkins and Lamb maybe. Perkins is expensive, but I'd take on an extra year of him to get Lamb. That'd be a sick wing trio with lots of length and shooting to complement our bigs. Perkisn would actually be a pretty ideal backup too.

I would love to have Lamb. I think OKC would have a hard time trading him, although having Bogut would really make them the favorites (if healthy). I said it before but I think Lamb would have been the 1st SG taken in this draft. The kid is talented, he just hasn't had a chance yet.

Aussie Dunker
07-04-2013, 08:20 PM
If we could add Barnes into our young core. Knight / KCP / Barnes / Monroe / Drummond... I would be extremely happy to watch these guys and this team develop.,.

Nastradamus
07-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I would love to have Lamb. I think OKC would have a hard time trading him, although having Bogut would really make them the favorites (if healthy). I said it before but I think Lamb would have been the 1st SG taken in this draft. The kid is talented, he just hasn't had a chance yet.

Agree that Lamb would be a tough sell, but they get out from a year of Perkins' deal, they upgrade on him for the first year and Bogut is a nice bridge to Adams.

Aussie Dunker
07-05-2013, 12:10 AM
If we get Lamb - surely one of KCP or Lamb will be a high level starting SG...

My thoughts - Lamb has a higher ceiling, more natual talent,

KCP seems like he has a great head on his shoulders and a great desire to be something in this league.

Both would be handy... Both can also play some SF if we need a stretch of small ball. Which I personally hate...

RIP CITY
07-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Well, I read that 4 teams have called trying to do a deal with Golden State. I wonder if we are one of those teams. I would love to add Barnes as well and could see us definitely being able to flip Bogut for something to a team that needs a Center.

I'm not nearly as high on Lamb as most people though so that wouldn't be my ideal trade, plus I want nothing to do with Perkins. But I'm sure something could be worked out for Bogut if we acquired him.

Aussie Dunker
07-05-2013, 02:52 AM
If we got Bogut I think we look for some more shooting at SG off the bench as English is no sure thing -

Or even a young defensive big man to back up Monroe / Dre

Nastradamus
07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
It wouldn't be that small of a lineup actually.

Nastradamus
07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
If we are going after Boston players, I'd rather get Jeff Green I think.

Aussie Dunker
07-05-2013, 07:38 PM
If we are going after Boston players, I'd rather get Jeff Green I think.

Would be a PERFECT fit at SF for our young team, no ego as well and is a hard worker. Very versatile game, great defender also...

But not sure how we would get him without giving up one of our young core :confusedshrug:

ZMonkey11
07-06-2013, 12:55 AM
I still don't understand what part of Josh Smith will help us. Why would he work on our team? He isn't a PF, he isn't a SF. He's some weird middle area. He can't space the floor and even when he does, he's not a good 3 point shooter. That has been evident throughout his career, yet he kept chucking until last year.

He is a headache. A premadonna. I don't know the solution for the Pistons, but putting 12+mil into Josh Smith is NOT a good idea. Feels like a CV, Ben Gordon, do something so it doesn't look like Joe D is sitting on his hands.

Aussie Dunker
07-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Just scrap it out for another year and then throw the bank at Lebron hey?... He would actually be a very good fit on this current lineup. Knight would be the perfect starting PG for someone like Lebron - and would have plenty of rim protection with Drummond...

As if that's happening though...

Nastradamus
07-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Would be a PERFECT fit at SF for our young team, no ego as well and is a hard worker. Very versatile game, great defender also...

But not sure how we would get him without giving up one of our young core :confusedshrug:

They might take Knight, which I'd do. He has a big salary and they are rebuildilng and we could take back another salary like Lee.

Nastradamus
07-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I still don't understand what part of Josh Smith will help us. Why would he work on our team? He isn't a PF, he isn't a SF. He's some weird middle area. He can't space the floor and even when he does, he's not a good 3 point shooter. That has been evident throughout his career, yet he kept chucking until last year.

He is a headache. A premadonna. I don't know the solution for the Pistons, but putting 12+mil into Josh Smith is NOT a good idea. Feels like a CV, Ben Gordon, do something so it doesn't look like Joe D is sitting on his hands.

To be fair, Josh Smith is a much better player than CV or Gordon. He's a top 30 or so player in this league and one of its very best defenders. He isn't a great fit as a SF, I fully admit it. OTOH, I feel like with him,Drummond and Monroe up front, we are going to play very good defense as a team, outrebound you and outscore you in the paint. That's not a bad recipe for winning games. You just need your guards to rain 3s at that point.

ZMonkey11
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
To be fair, Josh Smith is a much better player than CV or Gordon. He's a top 30 or so player in this league and one of its very best defenders. He isn't a great fit as a SF, I fully admit it. OTOH, I feel like with him,Drummond and Monroe up front, we are going to play very good defense as a team, outrebound you and outscore you in the paint. That's not a bad recipe for winning games. You just need your guards to rain 3s at that point.

Oh no doubt he is much more effective player than BG or CV. Kid is a beast, fills up the stat line. I'd love to have two big men that can cut through the passing lanes for transition buckets. (Drummond is so surprisingly good at that, its frightening)

I'm scared of players that have egos, though. And Josh Smith has an ego. And my argument is when Joe D pulled off the signing of BG/CV, he did it to do something. Josh Smith is two tiers above either player, but I see 6-8 seeds with him on our squad, no higher. The signing would be the same thing, making a move to make a move.

Regardless of the results this year, I think it's time for Joe D to go and get some new blood in. We've done a good job developing one draft pick since god knows when (Monroe).

I say we role out with our squad this year, maybe trying to trade for a stellar point guard or signing Jeff Teague. Get a good draft pick next year so we can get a potential All-Star. Try and make a big move for LeBron (I know...) and if that doesn't work, we have a STELLAR set of young talent that should be in position to make playoff runs and develop with each other.

I hate saying "let's develop young talent" since that's all we've been trying to do lately, but we finally have the pieces in place to do it and I have A LOT of hope for this team without making a stupid signing to save someone's job.

Opinions? I could be way off. :P

ZMonkey11
07-06-2013, 02:26 PM
And this could be way way way weird, but why not resign Chauncey Billups to start for us. Slow the game down, run the offense through him and Monroe (who is really good at passing). Then, have a dose of Knight come up off the bench. (You can see I like the idea of Knight coming off the bench, ala The Microwave)

dd24
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
I say we role out with our squad this year, maybe trying to trade for a stellar point guard or signing Jeff Teague. Get a good draft pick next year so we can get a potential All-Star. Try and make a big move for LeBron (I know...) and if that doesn't work, we have a STELLAR set of young talent that should be in position to make playoff runs and develop with each other.

I hate saying "let's develop young talent" since that's all we've been trying to do lately, but we finally have the pieces in place to do it and I have A LOT of hope for this team without making a stupid signing to save someone's job.

Opinions? I could be way off. :P

There's not a lot of guys I want to spend a ton of money on either. This free agent class doesn't get me excited. It just wasn't a good year to have a ton of cap space (and a lottery pick....). I think we need to go out there with our young guys and let them play. If we end up with a lottery pick next year then so be it. I'd rather have that pick next year than to give it to Charlotte anyway.

dd24
07-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Nevermind that last post. I didn't realize that we signed Smith.

dd24
07-06-2013, 08:19 PM
It looks like Calderon is going to sign with Dallas. I'm glad we didn't give him a contract like that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jose-calderon-set-sign-dallas-lot-longer-expected-162022874.html

Nastradamus
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM
I guess we officially offered Knight and one of the expriring deals for Rondo.

dd24
07-15-2013, 05:16 PM
I guess we officially offered Knight and one of the expriring deals for Rondo.

Yeah, I read that too. I think Rondo is definitely one of the best PG's in the game. I'm not sure how well he would fit on this team though. Rondo is a very bad outside shooter. With Smith, Monroe, and Drummond I think we need someone who can shoot outside and space the court. Anyway around it I think Boston would want a 1st round pick and we don't have one to give up.

Aussie Dunker
07-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I guess it would be one of those trades where, it doesn't really make sense for our team stylistically as we would only have one shooter on the starting 5 (considering KCP starts) but on the other hand, it wouldn't make sense if we didn't trade away a package revolving around knight for Rondo as Rondo is a top 5 PG in this league and is still just 27 years old.

As I said before - I would much rather send Smith to Celtics in return for say - Green + Sullinger + 1st round draft pick (one of their many now)

That way Rondo and Smith (buddies) get to play with each other and a solid 1-2 franchise punch for the celts to build around - and Pistons get a very, vary handy and versatile SF in Green who adds in my opinion a perfect fit chemistry wise for us. Sullinger a solid banger off the bench to compliment Dre and Moose, and a draft pick next year in which we don't have one.

I would do that in a heart beat! Is Smith worth all that? I'd say so, 56 million would suggest so too...