PDA

View Full Version : If the Lakers knock out the Spurs 1st Round

Sharmer
03-11-2013, 08:56 PM
If the standings stay as they are. Looks like the Lakers will play the Spurs. The Spurs have had a few 60 game winning seasons and could be eliminated in the first round if they face the Lakers.

Where do the Spurs go from there?

Another 60 game season and early elimination just seems like a waste of regular season. Reminds me of the good Seattle teams of the 90's, however they had played in deep Jordan era.

I am not saying the Spurs will definitely be knocked out. But it's a strong possibility.

Should the Spurs look to finish 2nd so they can face Houston? I don

fsvr54
03-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Lakers suck and pose no threat, they probably won't even stay in the playoffs.

Budadiiii
03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
The Lakers could end up anywhere from 6-8. You play for home court advantage no matter what

TheGreatDeraj
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm a huge Laker fan and Spurs are probably the most favorable matchup for us, but I don't think they are scared of the Lakers. The spurs have a lot of advantages in the series.

1. Coaching. How may times has D'Antoni been outcoached by Popovich? More than enough for me to feel uneasy about this matchup.

2. Going along with number one: the spurs have an amazing offensive system. And while the Laker's defense has been improving it is still going to take quite an effort to stop Tony Parker, the Spurs ball movement and three point shooting. Kobe is probably going to have to play defense on Parker, at least in crunch time, while scoring a lot of points. In his 17th season.

3. Good defensive bigs can still give Howard a tough time scoring in the post especially if Dwight isn't 100% by the playoffs. I don't think he will be 100% until next season, so this could be Duncan's opportunity to turn back the clock and give us one more historic playoff series.

Having said that I am confident Lakers would win the series especially if Pau comes back.

Spurs will keep being regular season champions until Duncan retires and they rebuild. I don't think you can win a championship in this era with your best player only being the caliber of Tony Parker or an aging Tim Duncan. You need a Lebron, Wade, Dirk or Kobe class offensive player unless you are a historically elite defensive team like the Celtics in 08, Spurs in 07 or Detroit in 04.

PP34Deuce
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm a huge Laker fan and Spurs are probably the most favorable matchup for us, but I don't think they are scared of the Lakers. The spurs have a lot of advantages in the series.

1. Coaching. How may times has D'Antoni been outcoached by Popovich? More than enough for me to feel uneasy about this matchup.

2. Going along with number one: the spurs have an amazing offensive system. And while the Laker's defense has been improving it is still going to take quite an effort to stop Tony Parker, the Spurs ball movement and three point shooting. Kobe is probably going to have to play defense on Parker, at least in crunch time, while scoring a lot of points. In his 17th season.

3. Good defensive bigs can still give Howard a tough time scoring in the post especially if Dwight isn't 100% by the playoffs. I don't think he will be 100% until next season, so this could be Duncan's opportunity to turn back the clock and give us one more historic playoff series.

Having said that I am confident Lakers would win the series especially if Pau comes back.

Spurs will keep being regular season champions until Duncan retires and they rebuild. I don't think you can win a championship in this era with your best player only being the caliber of Tony Parker or an aging Tim Duncan. You need a Lebron, Wade, Dirk or Kobe class offensive player unless you are a historically elite defensive team like the Celtics in 08, Spurs in 07 or Detroit in 04.

If Tony parker is hobbled, that greatly favors the lakers. I feel like Parker is truely the head of the snake with San Antonio along with a decent healthy Manu. Duncan to me is the third most important.

SA with a hobbled Parker are beatable for the lakers. SA is the only team in WC without a true difficult to defend SF. I like Leonard but hes more a hustle ahtletic 3....Artest can handle him

I'm not a fan of either team but Lakers do not want to see OKC,Clippers,Denver, or Memphis first round.

2010splash
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Never has a barely .500 team that is terrible defensively with a bonehead of a coach been so overhyped. The Spurs would crush the Lakers. Get serious. The Lakers haven't even been that impressive as of late. They get destroyed by basically any elite team and squeak by the league's worst and mediocre first round exit teams.

Spurs sweep in 4.

SCdac
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
The bigger question is, where do the Lakers go after they lose in the playoffs?? :confusedshrug:

How much longer does KB have? Does LA invest everything they got in Howard? Do they fire D'Antoni in the offseason?

Noob Saibot
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Never has a barely .500 team that is terrible defensively with a bonehead of a coach been so overhyped. The Spurs would crush the Lakers. Get serious. The Lakers haven't even been that impressive as of late. They get destroyed by basically any elite team and squeak by the league's worst and mediocre first round exit teams.

Spurs sweep in 4.

This. but lets wait until April 14. We'll see if the Lakers can hang around, cuz now they are embarrassing OKC.

TheGreatDeraj
03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
If Tony parker is hobbled, that greatly favors the lakers. I feel like Parker is truely the head of the snake with San Antonio along with a decent healthy Manu. Duncan to me is the third most important.

SA with a hobbled Parker are beatable for the lakers. SA is the only team in WC without a true difficult to defend SF. I like Leonard but hes more a hustle ahtletic 3....Artest can handle him

I'm not a fan of either team but Lakers do not want to see OKC,Clippers,Denver, or Memphis first round.

Very true, somehow I actually forgot about the Tony Parker injury. If he is hobbled in the first round that would be a shame, because he has had a terrific season. Honestly, and I may just be biased here, but I do not see the Spurs beating the Lakers if Tony Parker isn't healthy.

OKC and Clippers would be the only teams I wouldn't want to see in the first round.

I'm not a believer in the Nuggets or Memphis to be honest. Nuggets rely heavily on a fast paced game and in the playoffs when the game slows down a bit I think they will struggle. Plus, I don't think the Nuggets are good enough defensively and I've never been a big George Carl fan.

Grizzlies lost their go to scorer and can't shoot the three well enough to make a serious run. The Grizzlies main offensive weapon, their interior play, will be offset by a Howard/Clark/Pau front line.

L.Kizzle
03-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Kobe will be gassed by playoff time, TP and the Spurs will be well rested.

5 games.

vert48
03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Lakers cannot beat any of the top 5 seeds in a series. I hope they make the playoffs, but unless they REALLY put it together over the next 5 weeks, they are going to lose in the first round.

Levity
03-11-2013, 10:03 PM

ive heard this before....

:oldlol:

flipogb
03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
SA is gonna stay good in the offseason with post season disappointments every year as long as they have the core of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili. their fast system works to get a lot of wins, keeps fans happy but isn't gonna win a championship like the old system with a younger big 3 did

gengiskhan
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM

faaaking faker'tards & kobe'tards live in dream world.

so cut off from reality.

Lakers went into OT to beat Raptors, an ABSOLUTE BOTTOM FEEDER at home in LA

Lakers needed an ALL-TIME CHOKE JOB from HORNETS as they score 2 pts in final 8 mins of the game to pull off a NAIL BITER against BOTTOM FEEDING FRANCHISE.

& they know TONY PARKER will stay injured & LAL will win the series on the road in Game 7 with their pi$$$ poor pathetic ROAD RECORD.

faaaking delusional junkies. :coleman:

cotdt
03-11-2013, 10:30 PM
OKC is tanking against SAS right now because they don't want to play the Lakers.

Levity
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
faaaking faker'tards & kobe'tards live in dream world.

so cut off from reality.

Lakers went into OT to beat Raptors, an ABSOLUTE BOTTOM FEEDER at home in LA

Lakers needed an ALL-TIME CHOKE JOB from HORNETS as they score 2 pts in final 8 mins of the game to pull off a NAIL BITER against BOTTOM FEEDING FRANCHISE.

& they know TONY PARKER will stay injured & LAL will win the series on the road in Game 7 with their pi$$$ poor pathetic ROAD RECORD.

faaaking delusional junkies. :coleman:

it took a last second lay up by lebron to beat the magic last week. The fvcking magic?!?!?!? point is, these are nba teams. sometimes theyll put up nba quality competition.

RRR3
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
OKC is tanking against SAS right now because they don't want to play the Lakers.
The Thunder would assrape the Lakers.

imnew09
03-11-2013, 10:49 PM

The Lakers would wipe their ass with the Thunder

Droid101
03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
I recall people saying that about the Grizzlies before they embarrassed San Antonio.

Wonder Bread Kid
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I recall people saying that about the Grizzlies before they embarrassed San Antonio.

No one said that. Barkley even predicted the upset. Everyone said the Grizz matched up well against the Spurs (the Spurs of 2011), and that Memphis even ranked the last few games to get the Spurs. Grizz were not an 8th seed.

gengiskhan
03-11-2013, 10:55 PM

& this is guaranteed!

Bibby4Three
03-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Come on with this crap. Lakers are not going anywhere.

d.bball.guy
03-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Lakers haven't even secured the 8th spot :lol and so haven't the Spurs at clinching the 1st seed

clayton
03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Back to 9th seed. Lol.

Sharmer
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Surely the 1st and 2nd seeds would want to face a less experienced team such as Houston. I remember Boston tanked last years regular season and took Miami to 7 games in the ECF.

For a few reasons I think the Lakers will go the ECF. I might be wrong, but their roster is stacked with playoff experience.

TMT
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2011/05/20110524MANU-306x360.jpg

DFish24
03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Lakers have a good chance to upset the Spurs in the 1st round.

Droid101
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2011/05/20110524MANU-306x360.jpg
Cry more.

Sharmer
03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
If they meet Tony Parker would tear Nash apart.

A lot depends on where they finish. Playoff seeds could still vary. Lakers could finish high as 6th. Then they would be facing the Clippers or the Memphis. Which is harder first round match up for them.

TMT
03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Cry more.

:cry:

But for real, you know it's hard to play basketball with a broken arm right?

steve franchise
03-12-2013, 11:04 PM
If LA faces San Antonio in the first round there's no doubt in my mind they will beat them. San Antonio is weak and Duncan is washed up.

poido123
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
If LA faces San Antonio in the first round there's no doubt in my mind they will beat them. San Antonio is weak and Duncan is washed up.

no doubt? lol.

Lakers and spurs would be a long series at the least, if not spurs would win comfortably.

cotdt
03-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Dwight Howard > washed up Tim Duncan
Kobe > Ginobili
Nash = injured Parker
Gasol > Spurs bench

TaLvsCuaL
03-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Unlikely in my opinion. Pops will rest starters and Spurs will end up the regular season with a lot more fuel in the tank.

Whoah10115
03-12-2013, 11:50 PM
I would really rather see LA vs. OKC.

poido123
03-13-2013, 12:44 AM
I would really rather see LA vs. OKC.

Lakers have a better chance against OKC IMO. Spurs are a well drilled team that will expose Lakers incohesive defensive unit and score enough to beat them. POP will make better adjustments and better decisions in the close games.

cotdt
03-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Lakers have done better against Tony Parker than they have against Westbrook. Though if Westbrook has some off games, Lakers can win the series.

AussieG
03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
When Grizz upset the Spurs.. they were a top 4 team from Jan 1 onwards.. record wise.

Lakers are improved but still floating around .500 and nowhere NEAR top 4 team right now. They can't even beat the poor teams easily. And they usually lose to the stronger teams. They really are what their record suggests at the moment.

But they are improving. And by the end of the season.. they could end on a 8 game winning streak or something.. while beating some strong teams and then things could become interesting.

In the meantime.. it's pure fantasy and wishful thinking to think the Lakers could beat any top team in 7 games.

That's not to mention how important defense is in the playoffs.. something that Lakers don't have.

cotdt
03-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Huh? Lakers have been .750 since the All-Star break which is among the best in the NBA. Gasol will soon come back as 6th man and bolster up the bench. Things are looking better for the Lakers.

Whoah10115
03-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Lakers have a better chance against OKC IMO. Spurs are a well drilled team that will expose Lakers incohesive defensive unit and score enough to beat them. POP will make better adjustments and better decisions in the close games.

Interesting reasoning...I have to say I agree, especially with Harden being gone. I also think the Spurs are a better team.

G-Funk
03-13-2013, 01:34 AM
When Grizz upset the Spurs.. they were a top 4 team from Jan 1 onwards.. record wise.

Lakers are improved but still floating around .500 and nowhere NEAR top 4 team right now. They can't even beat the poor teams easily. And they usually lose to the stronger teams. They really are what their record suggests at the moment.

But they are improving. And by the end of the season.. they could end on a 8 game winning streak or something.. while beating some strong teams and then things could become interesting.

In the meantime.. it's pure fantasy and wishful thinking to think the Lakers could beat any top team in 7 games.

That's not to mention how important defense is in the playoffs.. something that Lakefrs don't have.

Lakers are 17-6 since Jan. 25, thats 74% of their games, only Heat, Okc And Spurs have such record

bukowski81
03-13-2013, 02:56 AM
Lakers are 17-6 since Jan. 25, thats 74% of their games, only Heat, Okc And Spurs have such record

On that stretch they have only played 4 times one of the top 4 teams in the league. They are 1-3 in those games.

Lakers fans are really overreacting. They changed from playing awful basketball to being a good team, not a contender.

MetsPackers
03-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Kobe > Ginobili
Nash = injured Parker
Gasol > Spurs bench

because that's how it works....
If that's the case, I have Another thread I think you'd be in to (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274100)

But for real is this thread srs? The Spurs would destory the Lakers. Spurs in 5 if the Lakers don't get completely embarassed and i'll avy/bump bet anyone on that. Not that the Lakers don't have a chance because they certainly have the talent needed for the upset, but the Spurs are by far the superior team and it would be foolish to bet against them. I still say Spurs in 6 max if Parker isn't 100%. If he doesn't play, who knows. Whoever the Lakers met next would likely eliminate them also though

All Net
03-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Kobe > Ginobili
Nash = injured Parker
Gasol > Spurs bench

You know basketball isn't won like that..

Sharmer
03-13-2013, 06:46 AM
The only thing stopping the Lakers from knocking out the Spurs. Is the Popovich system is greater than the D'Antoni. We've seen it before. When the Suns kept getting knocked out by the Spurs.

D'Antoni needs a super athletic team. Sacked with 3pt shooters, like Miami. Two 7 footers who want to play in the post. Doesnt work in his system.

Kobe should just take the point, and get Gasol and D12 the ball in the post.

When Gasol comes back. He's going to be big. Having this time off will help in the playoffs. He'll be on fresh legs.

The Spurs will be worn out come playoffs. Especially if Stern enforcing this rule of must start for star players.

Brunch@Five
03-13-2013, 06:56 AM
did someone say the Spurs are a good matchup for the Lakers? Who's defending Parker? At least the Spurs have excellent defenders to put on Kobe, they still have Duncan down low, they clearly win the coaching battle.
I'd probably also much rather have Thiago Splitter at this point in time than Pau Gasol as my 4th best player.

STATUTORY
03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
did someone say the Spurs are a good matchup for the Lakers? Who's defending Parker? At least the Spurs have excellent defenders to put on Kobe, they still have Duncan down low, they clearly win the coaching battle.
I'd probably also much rather have Thiago Splitter at this point in time than Pau Gasol as my 4th best player.
check Kobe's playoff record against the spurs and his stats, it ain't even close. Kobe always murk the spurs

MAC system
03-13-2013, 08:16 AM
check Kobe's playoff record against the spurs ausend his stats, it ain't even close. Kobe always murk the spurs
Kobe kills most teams in the playoffs, so you can't really only that as a basis for why the lakers will win. The Lakers, while playing better, are not playing a lot of quality teams here. The Spurs are a better team easily, and the only way lakers really win is if everyone brings their a+ game. I doubt Dwight will.

Cangri
03-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Given their history of almost always getting the top seed just to later choke, I think they should tank and get the second seed.

STATUTORY
03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Kobe kills most teams in the playoffs, so you can't really only that as a basis for why the lakers will win. The Lakers, while playing better, are not playing a lot of quality teams here. The Spurs are a better team easily, and the only way lakers really win is if everyone brings their a+ game. I doubt Dwight will.

Kobe does kill most teams but there are certain teams where his performance is consistently absurdly high, the Suns, the Spurs etc. Kobe has been able to get over the spurs even when he had the weaker team overall

props for the wanderlei avatar btw, dude put Stann down like a horse

BoutPractice
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Actually, the Spurs have lost in the first round only 3 times in the past 15 years. They've also won 4 titles over that same period, including in years where they were dismissed as "too old". So while an upset is possible and the series will certainly be entertaining if only for the quality of the players involved, I wouldn't necessarily bet against the Spurs.

G-Funk
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
On that stretch they have only played 4 times one of the top 4 teams in the league. They are 1-3 in those games.

Lakers fans are really overreacting. They changed from playing awful basketball to being a good team, not a contender.
of course with good reason, they started the season 17-25(I believe). The Lakers are far from a finished product, they need to work on not causing so many TO's and start making some FT's...those two things are whats really seperating them from the top teams. But Lakers are on the right track, hopefully they can get there this season and make a lot of noice in the playoffs.

cotdt
03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
With Gasol back, that means Metta getting less minutes and a much stronger bench. Plus Kobe historically always beat the Spurs even on inferior teams. Lakers should be favored against Spurs.

Sharmer
03-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Kobes out for at least four games.

If they do make the playoffs, they can't beat the Spurs, if Kobe ends up taking 30 plus shots.

TMT
03-14-2013, 12:11 AM
With Gasol back, that means Metta getting less minutes and a much stronger bench. Plus Kobe historically always beat the Spurs even on inferior teams. Lakers should be favored against Spurs.

No they shouldn't. Pau isn't just going to come back and make a monumental difference, he's still going to be struggling and/or trying to get back in a groove. There's a good chance this Kobe injury will affect him for the remainder of the season. Spurs role players are much better than the Lakers role players.

As someone said above we have a handful of guys to throw Kobe's way. Our defense is arguably the best since the 2007 squad, and we are an all around better ball club than the Lakers. In what universe are the Lakers going to be favored in this potential series?

You guys are going to have to snag a playoff spot before this even becomes a discussion. And at this point, under the circumstances, that's a tall order to fill.

Artillery
03-14-2013, 03:36 AM

What inferior teams? Every time Kobe's Lakers beat the Spurs they had the better team.

2001 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe
2002 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe
2003 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe(Duncan actually won this year)
2004 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton

The one time Duncan had a legit superstar teammate, they swept the Lakers with ease(1999 with DRob)

The Choken One
03-14-2013, 03:55 AM
Spurs won't make it passed the second round.

Lebron23
03-14-2013, 03:59 AM

http://rlv.zcache.com/nostradumbass_card-p137817112074428501bh2r3_400.jpg

RoundMoundOfReb
03-14-2013, 04:00 AM
They'd beat the clippers imo.

Whoah10115
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
What inferior teams? Every time Kobe's Lakers beat the Spurs they had the better team.

2001 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe
2002 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe
2003 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe(Duncan actually won this year)
2004 - One man team vs Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton

The one time Duncan had a legit superstar teammate, they swept the Lakers with ease(1999 with DRob)

Your definition of one man team is interesting.

Duncan21formvp
03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
The Lakers don't want any part of the Spurs.

Sharmer
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
As we approach the playoffs, reminds of me that the D'Antoni system can't work. Unless the team shoots some freakish shooting %.

Artillery
03-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Your definition of one man team is interesting.

Yes, more accurate than yours. Early 2000 Spurs squads were as one-dimensional as it gets. Duncan was the only 20+ ppg iso scorer on those teams - everybody else was a role player(mostly one-dimensional shooters). When a team with one star+role players(SA) faces a team with two stars+role players(LA) the team with two stars will almost always win.

Duncan's teammates never reached his level until 2005 when Ginobili and Parker developed into competent teammates.

Whoah10115
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Yes, more accurate than yours. Early 2000 Spurs squads were as one-dimensional as it gets. Duncan was the only 20+ ppg iso scorer on those teams - everybody else was a role player(mostly one-dimensional shooters). When a team with one star+role players(SA) faces a team with two stars+role players(LA) the team with two stars will almost always win.

Duncan's teammates never reached his level until 2005 when Ginobili and Parker developed into competent teammates.

Yea, David Robinson was the team's best defender (by a longshot) and still a top 15 player thru 2001. So again, your definition is interesting.