PDA

View Full Version : How do you play 21?

L3B120N J4M35
03-12-2013, 12:19 AM
i wanna see how different people play 21?

i usually play to 31, layups and jumpshots are worth 2 and 3s are worth 3. the free shot is from the three point line. i also played a game where you couldnt score in the paint until you had like 13. then with my cousin from new york, we played 21 and once you reached twenty-one you had to make a free throw and three to win, if you didn't you went back to 15.

so im just curious how you guys play whether it be tips or not, how much you go up to, any disadvantages such as scoring in the paint or something?

flipogb
03-12-2013, 01:44 AM
simple 1pt or 2pts, up to 21

or

1p/2pt with free throws after every made basket and you keep shooting till you miss , this can end quick with a good free throw shooter .

chosen_one6
03-12-2013, 03:12 AM
First made free shot is 2 points.
All field goals = 2 points
Every free shot after first made free shot = 1 point
3 and out for free shots
Take back everything behind 3 point line
No out of bounds
No fouls unless called
Must hit 21 exactly or you go back to 13
Free shots must be taken from at least college 3pt line

Lebron23
03-12-2013, 04:04 AM

or

1p/2pt with free throws after every made basket and you keep shooting till you miss , this can end quick with a good free throw shooter .

This

We also play "graduation".

Burgz V2
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
all live balls equal 1 pt

free shots are 2 pts, anywhere you want from three pt range

or if we are playing with tip ins

layups are 1, jumpers inside the three point line are 2 and threes are three and tip ins put you back to zero

you can't win on a free shot, must score on a live play to win. so if you have 20 you HAVE to make a layup, if you go over 21, you go back to 15

no fouls.

man it's been a while since I played 21

Mr. I'm So Rad
03-13-2013, 03:15 PM

This. And if I'm playing with 3 or more people, we play with tips also. Tips are worth 2 points and if you get tipped then you go down to 0 unless you have 13 or more in which case you go back down to 13. If you get tipped 3 times though you're eliminated.

Rake2204
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty open to whatever rules of 21 people wish to play by. However, generally speaking, I think it tends to be:

21 by 1's and 2's
Takebacks on everything (except tips if they're included)
Safe point of 13 or 15
"Free throw" = high school three point line
Limit of three consecutive free throw makes before check-up required
No fouls or out of bounds

I think it's 50/50 as to whether we include tips. Sometimes I'm guilty of willingly including them if I know I'm playing with a group of players who won't be boxing out on free throws (if they're playing free throws from the FT line, not three point line). Free throw line misses tend to open up a lot of tip dunk opportunities.

More times than not though, including tips seems to just create a never-ending cycle of a player earning points then having them wiped off by a tip, over and over and over again, until we're 20 minutes deep and realize we all have zero points.

Burgz V2
03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty open to whatever rules of 21 people wish to play by. However, generally speaking, I think it tends to be:

21 by 1's and 2's
Safe point of 13 or 15

I think it's 50/50 as to whether we include tips. Sometimes I'm guilty of willingly including them if I know I'm playing with a group of players who won't be boxing out on free throws (if they're playing free throws from the FT line, not three point line). Free throw line misses tend to open up a lot of tip dunk opportunities.

More times than not though, including tips seems to just create a never-ending cycle of a player earning points then having them wiped off by a tip, over and over and over again, until we're 20 minutes deep and realize we all have zero points.

I usually play a similar rule if it's not competitive, but with my buddies that are really good ballers we do unlimited because it puts more pressure on you to make shots and get the ball back.

qft, I've played some gruelling games with tips. If it's a "quick" game we'd just go to 11, I hate it when dudes say they want to go to 21 WITH TIPS not knowing what they're in for :lol

Oh btw in Toronto, no joke, 21 is actually called "American" (every man for themselves) and 21 is a shooting game where you shoot and wherever your miss lands the next person shoots from, if you air ball, the next person shoots gets to shoot a layup, and you play up to 21.

Jailblazers7
03-13-2013, 05:06 PM

21 by 1's and 2's
Safe point of 13 or 15

Yep, this is generally how I play. Usually include tips just because it can get pretty hilarious when people try to tip every missed shot.

^and lol @ it being called American. That's awesome. I've played that other version of 21 also.

Rake2204
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Usually include tips just because it can get pretty hilarious when people try to tip every missed shot.Ha, good point. I used to just grab the rebound and take it back if I wasn't in natural tipping range. But over the past few years, if I'm in the right mood and people are not giving a great effort, I've decided to try tipping from wherever I snagged the board. It's mostly led to failure, but there's been a few circus makes I can hang my hat on.

Burgz V2
03-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Yep, this is generally how I play. Usually include tips just because it can get pretty hilarious when people try to tip every missed shot.

^and lol @ it being called American. That's awesome. I've played that other version of 21 also.

yea lol i remember there was this guy from Kentucky who came to one of the gyms i play at and he asked us if we wanted to play 21 to warm up and everyone was like "is this guy serious? he wants to play 21? that's for kids" but I got family in the states and they call it 21 so I had to explain to him that its called American, at least in Toronto :roll:

btw, your avy, who is that? I would have guessed Dizzy Gillespie because of the bell on the trumpet but I don't ever remember him having that haircut?

Jailblazers7
03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Christian Scott. Best jazz artist in music roght now, you should check him out.

IlliniFan
03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
First made free shot is 2 points.
All field goals = 2 points
Every free shot after first made free shot = 1 point
3 and out for free shots
Take back everything behind 3 point line
No out of bounds
No fouls unless called
Must hit 21 exactly or you go back to 13
Free shots must be taken from at least college 3pt line
Exactly this except I prefer to do all day for the free shots.

ace23
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I usually play a similar rule if it's not competitive, but with my buddies that are really good ballers we do unlimited because it puts more pressure on you to make shots and get the ball back.
How does it put more pressure on you to make shots?

How I play:

Go by twos to 21.
First free throw is 2 points.
Free throws are at the top of the arc.
Can't call violations until you get to 10.
If you miss a FT at 20, you go back to 15.
If someone tips in one of your missed shots, you go back to 0.
Three and move at the line

ProfessorMurder
03-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Basically been said but:

- 2s, 3s, and free throws are 1.
- Someone 'breaks' with a 3 pointer, ball goes live.
- Made shot gets up to 3 consecutive free throws.
- If all three are made, you check the ball.
- If you have 20 and score, you drop to 13.
- When you hit 21, you either shoot an extra foul shot or 3 to 'prove it'.

- No out of bounds.
- Fouls can be called.
- Clear the ball to the 3 point line, unless there's over 3 people.
- Tips bring you to 0, unless you're at/over 13.
- 3 tips you're out if there's over 3 people. Otherwise, unlimited.

Burgz V2
03-14-2013, 07:12 AM
How does it put more pressure on you to make shots?

How I play:

Go by twos to 21.
First free throw is 2 points.
Free throws are at the top of the arc.
Can't call violations until you get to 10.
If you miss a FT at 20, you go back to 15.
If someone tips in one of your missed shots, you go back to 0.
Three and move at the line

Because I play with guys who will make like 10 shots in a row so when it's your free shot, you have to make it.

Rake2204
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Because I play with guys who will make like 10 shots in a row so when it's your free shot, you have to make it.Doesn't that more or less turn it into a glorified game of P.I.G., with most of the game just being everyone watching one person fire wide open spot-up jumpers? We put a cap on free shots so there will always be a significant amount of points a person must work for. If nothing else, it keeps the game active and flowing. Elsewise, as you said, without a limit a hot shooter's just going to turn things into his own personal shootaround.

Mr. I'm So Rad
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I never play with free throws but if we do, if you make 3 in a row we just check the ball up and start playing again. We don't do that free throw shit. I would never lose then.

Scholar
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
First FT is 2-pts. All other FTs and regular FGs are 1 pt, except 3-pters are 2 pts.

You shoot up to 3 FTs in a row, and after making your 3rd, we get back into game action.

When a player is going for the game winning FT, it has to be from the 3-pt line and if he misses, his score goes back to 15.

With these rules, I've had games last up to a full hour with a good amount of people on the court.

MJ(Mean John)
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
IN LA, with almost anyone and any court I've played on, it's usually..

A game up to 21.

First person "breaks" from the 3pt line or free throw.
If he makes, he keeps shooting free throws or 3pt liners until he hits 3 in a row or he misses.
Once he misses, live ball.
MUST CLEAR EVERY MISS to the 3pt line.(unless its your own)

Only 2/3 pt baskets.

You get free throws after every live play basket. You make and keep going up to 3. If you miss, it's live ball.

Free throws are worth 1 pt and 2 pts(from behind 3pt).
HOWEVER, the first free shot made from either 3pt of free throw give you am additional point (I.E. first free throw is worth 2, first 3 pt is worth 3. Then they are all worth 1, and 2)

If you hit 21, you have to make a 3 pter to win the game. IF YOU MISS, back to 15. Or if you're on 20, shooting a free throw to hit 21, and you miss, you drop to 15.

I always get 21, like 2 or 3 times. I can't ever make that 3 pter. Lol

JellyBean
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
We play 21 (Minneapolis) with a player shooting from the 3pt area. If he/she makes that 1st shot(3pter in this case it is 3pts), they then shoot a free throw. The 1st free throw made counts as 3 pts. So in this example a person can start the game off with 6pts real quick.

We plays 2s and 3s and free throws, minus the first made FT, count as 1pt. All freethrows are shot from the 3pt area. If you get to 21 you still have to make a FT(3pt area) to prove the win. So in a way you end the game at 22. Hey it is cold here and we are silly :D

You have to take it back if you get a rebound from another player who shot and missed. If you shoot and miss you can get your rebound and put it back for a score.

If you shoot and miss, you have to play defense on whoever got the rebound.

That is pretty much it for 21 in my area.

Burgz V2
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Doesn't that more or less turn it into a glorified game of P.I.G., with most of the game just being everyone watching one person fire wide open spot-up jumpers? We put a cap on free shots so there will always be a significant amount of points a person must work for. If nothing else, it keeps the game active and flowing. Elsewise, as you said, without a limit a hot shooter's just going to turn things into his own personal shootaround.

well if you play with tips most likely you will miss and someone will tip it/dunk it in and you go to zero

it makes playing D more important too because if you know a guy is a good shooter you will most likely not let him score easily. If you play last person shoots plays D it wouldnt make sense to play make it take it on free shots, but if you play double/triple teams or whatever included then everyone will just gang up on him anyways. It actually makes it tougher because then everyone will play serious and then there will be more pressure on you to make your shots when it's your turn to shoot. And eventually, if the games get long, the shots will be harder because you'll be more tired, especially during the summer on a hot day or a gym that's not air conditioned

bdreason
03-18-2013, 04:58 AM
I usually play 2's and 3's to 21. Up to 3 FT's after a bucket, then you take the ball up top again.

glidedrxlr22
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
-One person from either team shoots a 3. If it goes in, his team takes out. If not, other team does.

- Take out is in between 3 point line and halfcourt line

- All shots inside of 3 pt line count as 1 point. Shots outside 3 pt line count as 2 points.

- No free throws

- Take out on foul calls

- If the opposing team gets a defensive rebound, ball has to be dribbled out or passed to free throw line distance before an attempt at scoring can be made.

-You have to win by 2 points.

Go Getter
03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
In Columbus, OH they call 21 Chicago.

JerryWest
03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
:durantunimpressed:

Just2McFly
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
depends on the neighborhood but i can confirm this

JMT
03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Interesting. No wonder nobody can hit FT anymore; they're chucking from the arc instead.

I'm 100, so haven't played 21 in a long time. When I did, it was a game only for an odd # (almost always 3) players. Pretty much the only reason for it; a game when you don't have # for a game.

All baskets are 2, FT (actual FT) are 1. Max of 3 consecutive made FT. Make 3 and clear the ball to start a new possession. Ball is cleared behind the top of the key.

Hit 21 exactly or back to 13.

No autopsy, no foul.

Rake2204
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Interesting. No wonder nobody can hit FT anymore; they're chucking from the arc instead.Ha, I'm cool with either free throws or threes. The rest of your rules are very similar to my area's.

Separate from 21 though, what I do find amusing is when a new player comes to our park and raises a huge fuss when he sees that we shoot free throws to create teams for our pickup games (instead of three pointers). That type of guy usually says something along the lines of, "Aw it's like that?", "Man, y'all weak", or "Roun' my way we take men's shots", as if shooting threes for teams somehow defines one's own ability.

Anyhow, we sometimes placate those folks and shoot threes for teams just to make them feel more at home. Alas, picking teams then tends to take four times as long as normal and that dude's the one up there struggling to hit.

qrich
03-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Each shot is worth 1.
After each make, you have FTs or 3pt shots to add on. No more than three consecutive makes.
First FT is two points, thereafter is one. First three is three points, thereafter is two.
Once you hit 21+, you have to hit a three. If you miss, and someone else scores, you drop to 15. If you miss and are the first to score, you get another chance to end the game.

We also play with "tips" and with "elimination".

With tips, its a putback. If someone putsback a miss right off the backboard/rim, you drop to zero. If you are at zero, you are eliminated. If you have 18+, you drop to 8 at a tip.

With eliminations, once someone hits 15+, you must have 6+ or you are eliminated.

Deuce Bigalow
03-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Basically the main rules already mentioned plus when you hit 21, you have to take a freethrow. But you have to miss it and you have to hit rim. If you don't hit rim or if you make the shot then you go back to 13. This allows others to be able to tip at the end to prevent the game from being over. Also whoever shot it last has to guard whoever has the ball.

Go Getter
03-25-2013, 01:46 AM
depends on the neighborhood but i can confirm this
I thought it was funny (did my undergrad at OSU). I played a lot of good games in the cages and at Jesse Owens/Larkins.

I got negged for my previous post.

Some ISH posters are mad at the world I guess.

JerryWest
03-25-2013, 08:21 AM
I thought it was funny (did my undergrad at OSU). I played a lot of good games in the cages and at Jesse Owens/Larkins.

You get negged because you are an asshole :coleman:

Go Getter
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
You get negged because you are an asshole :coleman:
I don't even know you or recall ever interacting with you, however, the fact that you seem to think you know all about me is very telling.

I'm a good guy, I donate my time to kids and despite growing up around gangs and violence I promote peace and education.

Just a suggestion but you should try easing up on people and taking things easy man....all that pent up tension and aggression is bad for your health.:D

Just2McFly
03-25-2013, 10:49 PM

I think they just assume that you are being snobby about chicago or something. People catch feelings around here fast. I grew up in Columbus and played all over. It is actually called that in some areas, I think it's cool.

Go Getter
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I think they just assume that you are being snobby about chicago or something. People catch feelings around here fast. I grew up in Columbus and played all over. It is actually called that in some areas, I think it's cool.
EXTRA fast. Have you ever played at the cages on OSU campus or any of the rec centers? Some pretty good runs.

Back in the day I messed around and played against a team of NFL stars...it was bananas....we'd catch some U of Cincy players sometimes too.

scm5
03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
First shot = 3 pointer, worth 3.

FG's: 2 points

3FG's: 3 points

FT: From FT Line, worth 1 point each, up to 3 after every made FG.First FT made in the game is worth 2 points. Make all 3 and it's your ball again. Miss, and the ball goes to the man who rebounds it.

Tip-ins: Reset to 0 if at or below 11. Reset to 11 if above 11. Player that tips it in gets 2 points and FT's.

To win: Get to exactly 21 and make a 3 after. If you're at 20 and you're not taking FT's... you're back at 15. If you miss your 3, you're back at 15. If you miss your 3 and it gets tipped in, you're at 0.

No out of bounds.

Rake2204
09-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Anyone ever play 32? I feel like I've read about that here. I played that last night for the first time. It consisted of:

-Game to 32
-Every basket is two points (regardless of whether it's behind the arc or not)
-No free throws or free threes
-Every score leads to a re-check and continuation of play
-Last guy who shoots is expected to defend whoever garners the rebound

Maybe it's because I'd worked out just before, or because I'm in bad shape or something, but 32 exhausted me. The defense was mediocre enough to shred, but I had to work for it, so it was a lot of repetitious hard attacks, over and over. And with three pointers offering no bonus, it was tough to get a breather on the heels of making someone respect the risk of letting me score an extra point.

Then having to be the guy to defend after I missed, particularly if it was against another player who hadn't been guarding me to begin with (so they were a little fresh)...it was like playing 1-on-1 to 16 by all ones.

ballup
09-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Where I live, we play something similar called 50. 3 pt shots are 10 pts, everything else is 5 pts. After you make a shot, you shoot uncontested FTs or 3s until you hit 50. After that, you have to break ice with a 3. If you succeed, you challenge someone to guard you. If you score in that possession, you eliminate them and you challenge another again with the same rules.You ccan't score in the paint on the last challenge. If you succeed, you win.

Throughout the game, opposing players can do put backs. This must be done before landing back on the ground. Players who got put back get reduced to zero, get their ice unbroken, or get eliminated depending on the points they have. One handed put backs equal to elimination regardless of points or ice. Players who are eliminated can get back in by catching an airball and then scoring. You can't get back in if you have been eliminated by a one handed put back or have been eliminated 3 times.

Kaspah
09-29-2014, 03:33 PM
21 is like a little kid game

Everyone out here plays 32

Game starts with someone breaking from the 3pt line, he scores, he checks the ball and it's a 1on1 situation with everyone else hanging around the rim just talking n messing around. It's always live basketball, not sitting around watching a dude shoot.

Everything is worth 2pts, if you shoot a three it's worth 3pts. Some people play straight up, others play where you gotta take the ball behind 3pt arc to reset the game before you shoot. If you shoot and miss, you have to guard whoever got the rebound. Driving is dangerous though because you can get past your defender and then get to the rim with 5 guys waiting for you to swat your shot.

Usually only play when there's an odd number of guys or if no one plays like playing a real game. 32 is more laid back hanging out cracking jokes with basketball as a background noise type of deal.

Rake2204
09-29-2014, 04:10 PM
21 is like a little kid game

Everyone out here plays 32

Game starts with someone breaking from the 3pt line, he scores, he checks the ball and it's a 1on1 situation with everyone else hanging around the rim just talking n messing around. It's always live basketball, not sitting around watching a dude shoot.

Everything is worth 2pts, if you shoot a three it's worth 3pts. Some people play straight up, others play where you gotta take the ball behind 3pt arc to reset the game before you shoot. If you shoot and miss, you have to guard whoever got the rebound. Driving is dangerous though because you can get past your defender and then get to the rim with 5 guys waiting for you to swat your shot.

Usually only play when there's an odd number of guys or if no one plays like playing a real game. 32 is more laid back hanging out cracking jokes with basketball as a background noise type of deal.Man, that does not sound like my 32 experience at all. Maybe because we only had three players. But it felt non-stop to me, even without going 110%. I felt like I was driving or defending continuously with no breaks. Sometimes I settled for a jumper just to try to get some of my wind back. I suppose if there was, say, 7 guys, the possessions may have been more variable, which could have helped.

Still, I believe I prefer 21 at this point because the occasional breaks allow for stronger pushes during gameplay. Also, the compact scoring total (21 by 3's, 2's, and 1's) seems to up the stakes a little. By the time I had 28 points in a game of 32, my legs were dead, as if I were finishing up a series of sprints - though I guess that could be a good thing. Still, 21 seems to allow me to go hard while still having a bit of fun. Three person 32 (aka two-man one-on-one to 16 by all 1's) was a chore.

Kaspah
09-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Man, that does not sound like my 32 experience at all. Maybe because we only had three players. But it felt non-stop to me, even without going 110%. I felt like I was driving or defending continuously with no breaks. Sometimes I settled for a jumper just to try to get some of my wind back. I suppose if there was, say, 7 guys, the possessions may have been more variable, which could have helped.

Still, I believe I prefer 21 at this point because the occasional breaks allow for stronger pushes during gameplay. Also, the compact scoring total (21 by 3's, 2's, and 1's) seems to up the stakes a little. By the time I had 28 points in a game of 32, my legs were dead, as if I were finishing up a series of sprints - though I guess that could be a good thing. Still, 21 seems to allow me to go hard while still having a bit of fun. Three person 32 (aka two-man one-on-one to 16 by all 1's) was a chore.

Obviously, more people playing means less boards/less possessions so you'd be able to chill around the rim more often. When there's only 3 people you will definitely require more energy. However, it only becomes a dog fight if everyone's missing and no one can get buckets. If someone is consistently making shots, you'll end the game in 10-15min.

With all that being said though, basketball is a very active sport. If you aren't tired, you aren't playing correctly. 32 with three people will almost always have a lull somewhere in the middle where everyone is feeling dogged, and it'll result in dudes just shooting 3's as they take the ball back.

TylerOO
09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
We play Kings round these parts

Rake2204
09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Obviously, more people playing means less boards/less possessions so you'd be able to chill around the rim more often. When there's only 3 people you will definitely require more energy. However, it only becomes a dog fight if everyone's missing and no one can get buckets. If someone is consistently making shots, you'll end the game in 10-15min.

With all that being said though, basketball is a very active sport. If you aren't tired, you aren't playing correctly. 32 with three people will almost always have a lull somewhere in the middle where everyone is feeling dogged, and it'll result in dudes just shooting 3's as they take the ball back.Truth. I think that last sentence was probably the biggest issue. We played all 1's, so I felt it was likely never the right choice to settle for a three pointer, particularly since I was succeeding on the drive. So it was just a ton of successive hard attacks in a row and if I did settle for a J, and I missed it, I was right back on defense with no one else stepping up to help. That was my struggle there.

But otherwise, you're on the money. It'd have undoubtedly been a ton easier with more players.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-11-2014, 01:34 PM
At our gym tap backs restart you at 0. If you go over 21 and lets say you score, you are at 22 and get busted... and start at 0. Some kid in my gym had this rule (I don't know why we followed it that one time). At our gym no one really plays anything beside half court or full court games.