PDA

View Full Version : Is Carmelo Anthony a top 5 player in the league?

Human Error
03-12-2013, 08:32 AM
People think Lebron James is overrated because he is playing with yet another top 5 player in Wade. And usually they are the same people who think Carmelo Anthony is better than Wade and it makes Carmelo an automatic top 5 player in the league.

It led me to come up with this question; Is he really a top 5 player in the league? In other words, would you rather have Carmelo Anthony over these players?

Russell Westbrook
Dwight Howard
Tony Parker
Blake Griffin
James Harden
Kyrie Irving
Stephen Curry
Marc Gasol
Joakim Noah
Chris Bosh
Pau Gasol

Teanett
03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
derrick rose
dirk
kevin love

SilkkTheShocker
03-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Absolutely not.

elementally morale
03-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Let's see who he is clearly worse than:

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Wade

After these 4 players it's arguable. Westbrook, Harden, a healthy Dirk, a healthy Howard... some other players... Melo is in this group. I'd say Melo is comfortably top 10 and borderline top 5. Putting him at #5 is debatable. Any higher is just wrong.

Graviton
03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
He was in the beginning of the season, but not since All-Star break. I would say since All-Star break Top 5 have been...

Lebron
Kobe
Wade
Durant
Westbrook

No one else really stepped up that much.

Legends66NBA7
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Carmelo Anthony is easily Top 10 for me and arguably Top 5.

I'll take Anthony over either Gasol, Bosh, Howard, Noah, Curry, Parker, Griffin, and Irving.

Westbrook and Harden are the only ones debatable to me. I can see the case if someone wants to put Parker and Griffin over him too, but I would rather have Anthony.

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
The following are having better seasons:

1. LeBron James. Current MVP favorite, best player on team with the best record.

2. Kevin Durant. Best scorer in the league (which is Melo's specialty) and the best player on one of the top 3 teams.

3. Chris Paul. Best point guard in the league, he makes us consider the possibility of the Clippers in the Finals. Anyone with an understanding of NBA history should be able to appreciate how amazing that is.

Those are the only 3 I'm sure of. About on par with Kobe Bryant. If LA was on pace for 60 wins I'd put him over Melo but as good as his numbers are somehow with Howard, Nash and Gasol they're on pace for the 8th seed? This is probably the fault of the coach and Bryant could/should be moving up my oh-so important rankings as LA moves up the standings but this is about the season so far, not what could happen.

3 guys definitely over, one on par. So I'll say Melo is Top 5.

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
After Lebron and Durant Carmelo is as good as anyone.

NumberSix
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30701136.jpg

STATUTORY
03-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Those are the only 3 I'm sure of. About on par with Kobe Bryant. If LA was on pace for 60 wins I'd put him over Melo but as good as his numbers are somehow with Howard, Nash and Gasol they're on pace for the 8th seed? This is probably the fault of the coach and Bryant could/should be moving up my oh-so important rankings as LA moves up the standings but this is about the season so far, not what could happen.

are you f@cking serious?

lakers have played how many games with a lineup of Howard Nash and Gasol? two coaching changes and injury problems, how can you dismiss kobe's numbers?

on topic, no melo isn't close to top 5 in term of impact on wins and losses. he's not even a max player if you care about constructing a team that can contend for a championship. ball stopping chucker like him aren't worth what their stans think they are

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 09:37 AM
are you f@cking serious?

lakers have played how many games with a lineup of Howard Nash and Gasol? two coaching changes and injury problems, how can you dismiss kobe's numbers?

on topic, no melo isn't close to top 5 in term of impact on wins and losses. he's not even a max player if you care about constructing a team that can contend for a championship. ball stopping chucker like him aren't worth what their stans think they are
I called Bryant the 4th or 5th best player in the league despite playing on the current 8th seed and you get offended. This is why you Kobe "stans" are seen as a bunch of idiots. Melo isn't a max player? He's making the max. All-Star starter. Going to be All-NBA. Stop arguing with reality.

STATUTORY
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I called Bryant the 4th or 5th best player in the league despite playing on the current 8th seed and you get offended. This is why you Kobe "stans" are seen as a bunch of idiots. Melo isn't a max player? He's making the max. All-Star starter. Going to be All-NBA. Stop arguing with reality.

you are conflating team success with individual play. the clippers was steamrolling opponents with Chris Paul sitting out. Their bench is a starting 5 caliber team onto themselves. Yet you have him in the top 3. No one gets credit for being on a stacked team like Chris Paul. Guy couldn't even make the playoffs every year in NO.

as for Melo, I wasn't arguing the reality that he's a max player but the legitimacy of that contract. Melo is a player that you have to carefully build around his game can only thrive in very contrived niche circumstances. Guy like him aren't worth the max imo because you have to compromise other parts of your roster just to let him shine.

JohnnySic
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Its arguable.

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 10:06 AM
you are conflating team success with individual play. the clippers was steamrolling opponents with Chris Paul sitting out.They went 6-6 without him. You are badly twisting reality.
Their bench is a starting 5 caliber team onto themselves. :rolleyes:

as for Melo, I wasn't arguing the reality that he's a max player but the legitimacy of that contract.Nothing written to defend such a statement is going to be intelligent.
Melo is a player that you have to carefully build around his game can only thrive in very contrived niche circumstances. Guy like him aren't worth the max imo because you have to compromise other parts of your roster just to let him shine.
Yeah, this was very well supported by...nothing.

MaxFly
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM

He has a point. You can't say...

somehow with Howard, Nash and Gasol they're on pace for the 8th seed

...without taking into account the fact that Gasol has missed 25+ games, Nash has missed 20+ games, and Howard is still working himself back into shape while currently playing injured with a torn shoulder. This is one of those instances where team record has very little to do with how good a player actually is. I wouldn't say that Melo is on par with Bryant, less put him over Bryant. Certainly not this season.

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
He has a point. You can't say...

...without taking into account the fact that Gasol has missed 25+ games, Nash has missed 20+ games, and Howard is still working himself back into shape while currently playing injured with a torn shoulder. This is one of those instances where team record has very little to do with how good a player actually is. I wouldn't say that Melo is on par with Bryant, less put him over Bryant. Certainly not this season.
Howard hurt has still averaged 16 and 12. Melo and Bryant are scoring at the same pace, Bryant is shooting a better % but the only important difference in stats is Bryant's edge in assists. Melo is out of position at the 4 and still has had his team winning at a better rate. That Knick team is not full of good support for Melo, STAT has missed more games and will miss more games than any laker, the #2 scorer is JR Smith. If Melo doesn't get 30 their only hope is threes. There's no justification for saying Bryant has created separation from Anthony.

FKAri
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Wade
Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Westbrook
CP
healthy Dirk
healthy Dwight

are probably all better.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
It's close

Clearly better:
Lebron
Durant
Paul

In the convo:
Kobe
Parker
Wade
Harden

Tough to say imo.

Smoke117
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Just off the top of my head five players easily better than him:

Lebron
Wade
Paul
Durant
Kobe

Rysio
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
He was in the beginning of the season, but not since All-Star break. I would say since All-Star break Top 5 have been...

Lebron
Kobe
Wade
Durant
Westbrook

No one else really stepped up that much.
no one has played better than kobe after the break, hell no one ever has played better than kobe has since the all star break.

game3524
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
No.

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Kobe
4. Paul
5. Wade

He is somewhere in that 6-10 range with Westbrook, Harden, Parker etc.

ripthekik
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Just off the top of my head five players easily better than him:

Lebron
Wade
Paul
Durant
Kobe
Sounds about right.

thefatmiral
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
top ten sure. i would take him over durant.

game3524
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Howard hurt has still averaged 16 and 12. Melo and Bryant are scoring at the same pace, Bryant is shooting a better % but the only important difference in stats is Bryant's edge in assists. Melo is out of position at the 4 and still has had his team winning at a better rate. That Knick team is not full of good support for Melo, STAT has missed more games and will miss more games than any laker, the #2 scorer is JR Smith. If Melo doesn't get 30 their only hope is threes. There's no justification for saying Bryant has created separation from Anthony.

Kobe has clearly been better then Melo. Higher TS%, higher PER, more assist. The only real edge Melo has is in 3-point percentage and rebounds.

Honestly if Kobe never went on that passing binge in Febuary, the comparison would be more stark since he would be averaging 30-5-5.

Xiao Yao You
03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Top 5 scorer maybe. Top 5 player :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Kobe has clearly been better then Melo. Higher TS%, higher PER, more assist. The only real edge Melo has is in 3-point percentage and rebounds.

Honestly if Kobe never went on that passing binge in Febuary, the comparison would be more stark since he would be averaging 30-5-5.
I don't care about "TS," and the imaginary 30-5-5 is even less relevant. Their scoring is almost exactly the same, the only important statistical edge is Bryant's assists. Bryant not being able to avoid .500 basketball playing with Dwight Howard while Melo has had the Knicks winning is far more important.

game3524
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't care about "TS," and the imaginary 30-5-5 is even less relevant. Their scoring is almost exactly the same, the only important statistical edge is Bryant's assists. Bryant not being able to avoid .500 basketball playing with Dwight Howard while Melo has had the Knicks winning is far more important.

Their scoring isn't even identical, Kobe has been more efficient. And using their team records is just lazy without context. Howard hasn't been anywhere near the player he was in Orlando, Nash has missed 20+ games, Pau has been injured and sucked in the first half. The Lakers bench isn't anything to write home about and they have had two coaching changes.

STATUTORY
03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Their scoring isn't even identical, Kobe has been more efficient. And using their team records is just lazy without context. Howard hasn't been anywhere near the player he was in Orlando, Nash has missed 20+ games, Pau has been injured and sucked in the first half. The Lakers bench isn't anything to write home about and they have had two coaching changes.

he's probably gonna come back at you with 4 HOFers!!!! :facepalm

game3524
03-12-2013, 01:23 PM
he's probably gonna come back at you with 4 HOFers!!!! :facepalm

Yeah, it is such a stupid arguement without context. Yes, they have four guys going to the hall of fame. But two of those guys have missed 20+ games and the other guy is still recovering from a major back injury and has a torn shoulder.

To make matters worse, they are top heavy and have a stupid coach.

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Their scoring isn't even identical, Kobe has been more efficient.He's shooting about 4% better, which translates to something like one more made shot per game.
And using their team records is just lazy without context. Howard hasn't been anywhere near the player he was in Orlando, Nash has missed 20+ games, Pau has been injured and sucked in the first half. The Lakers bench isn't anything to write home about and they have had two coaching changes.We've already discussed this. How many games has STAT missed? NY's #2 scorer is JR Smith. Melo is playing large parts of the games at pf. His team's main starting SGs are flight attendant failure James White and Jason Kidd. Shumpert shooting 31% is a starter. You complain about Bryant's great teammates missing game but at least he has some great teammates. That Knick rosteris extremely flawed but Melo has still kept them competitive.

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah, it is such a stupid arguement without context. Yes, they have four guys going to the hall of fame. But two of those guys have missed 20+ games and the other guy is still recovering from a major back injury and has a torn shoulder.

To make matters worse, they are top heavy and have a stupid coach.
So I didn't point out Howard is averaging 16 band 12? You act like Melo is surrounded by a squad just as good or better. That's stupid.

STATUTORY
03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
He's shooting about 4% better, which translates to something like one more made shot per game. We've already discussed this. How many games has STAT missed? NY's #2 scorer is JR Smith. Melo is playing large parts of the games at pf. His team's main starting SGs are flight attendant failure James White and Jason Kidd. Shumpert shooting 31% is a starter. You complain about Bryant's great teammates missing game but at least he has some great teammates. That Knick rosteris extremely flawed but Melo has still kept them competitive.

in the eastern conference... and their record is mainly product of their great start with the play of felton and kidd once those two came back down to earth, their record has been pedestrian. so attribute credit where it's due.

and :facepalm @ this:

He's shooting about 4% better

Kevin durant is shooting less than 4% better than Kobe... I guess Kobe is scoring just as well as Durant

game3524
03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
He's shooting about 4% better, which translates to something like one more made shot per game. We've already discussed this. How many games has STAT missed? NY's #2 scorer is JR Smith. Melo is playing large parts of the games at pf. His team's main starting SGs are flight attendant failure James White and Jason Kidd. Shumpert shooting 31% is a starter. You complain about Bryant's great teammates missing game but at least he has some great teammates. That Knick rosteris extremely flawed but Melo has still kept them competitive.

Kobe TS% is 58% while Melo is 55%. Kobe's eFG% is 52%, while Melo is 50%. Melo has been very efficient giving his volume, but Kobe has been bit better in that regard.

Who cares about STAT, Melo plays better without him on the floor since they operate from the same area on the floor. And Knicks may have less talent on paper, but at least they have a cohesive unit for the most part of the year. The Lakers haven't had that, they have had major injuries to their big guns, a coaching change, and lack depth.

There are not even comparable situations.

pegasus
03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
He is a top-5 player, along with Kobe, Durant, and Lebron. I see Parker, Wade, Westbrook, and Harden fighting for the 5th spot. A healthy Howard is definitely a top-5 player too, but he's been a top 18-20 player at best this season. A healthy Rose will also challenge the top-5.

Dagouch
03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Clearly at one point in the year yes he was top five.

However with the long season and his injury no. Clearly top Ten and when He gets back on track his stock could rise.

However I love when People put a Healthy Howard for example over current Melo.. How do you know he will even get back to that level? I thought we're clearly being current.

game3524
03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
So I didn't point out Howard is averaging 16 band 12? You act like Melo is surrounded by a squad just as good or better. That's stupid.

Have you watched Howard play for the most part of the year? Anyone with two eyes can see he hasn't been the impact player he was in the past. Hell, you can make the case Chandler has been better this year.

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
in the eastern conferenceWhere hey also have NBA teams.
and their record is mainly product of their great startWhich is part of the season, no?
with the play of felton and kidd once those two came back down to earth, their record has been pedestrian. so attribute credit where it's due.Ok, give Howard credit for being a double-double All-Star big. But no, he doesn't matter, much better off with a 40 year-old Kidd.
Kobe TS% is 58% while Melo is 55%. Kobe's eFG% is 52%, while Melo is 50%.A bunch of minor differences. I relevant (and a bit boring). What have you mentioned here that doesn't amount to an additional made shot per game?

Who cares about STAT, Melo plays better without him on the floor since they operate from the same area on the floor. Could say the same thing about Gasol with the way he's struggled to fit in. And both cases would be wrong. STAT is one of the few scorers the Knicks have. Take him away and who is a threat other than Melo?

And Knicks may have less talent on paper, but at least they have a cohesive unit for the most part of the year. The Lakers haven't had that, they have had major injuries to their big guns, a coaching change, and lack depth.Way less.

imdaman99
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
knick fan here and no i dont think he is top 5. top 10 sure. he really has to show me something before i start chanting MVP, as in do something to get the knicks some wins in the playoffs. play some fckin defense please. dont make the role players around you play worse. they play pretty good without you in there, why do they turn into scrubs when you come back???

game3524
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
How is that minor differences, Bryant has clearly been more efficient.:oldlol:

Scoooter
03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
knick fan here and no i dont think he is top 5. top 10 sure. he really has to show me something before i start chanting MVP, as in do something to get the knicks some wins in the playoffs. play some fckin defense please. dont make the role players around you play worse. they play pretty good without you in there, why do they turn into scrubs when you come back???
Preach.

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I would take Melo over the following players this year:

Kobe: Make all the excuses you want, but you can't tell me for sure if he is going to make the playoffs.

Paul: Actually it depands on what kinda team you have. Put paul on this current knicks team and I dont see any huge improvments. If Amre was healthy than yes Paul would improve that team. But as of right now... npo.

Wade: Carear wise he is the netter player. But this year he is just now starting to come around. Yes injuries effected him, but thats part of the game.

Young X
03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
No he's not. Lebron, Paul, Durant, Kobe, and Wade are clearly better than him, i'm not even 100% sure if he's top 10.

Sarcastic
03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
To Melo's credit, he is the ONLY one of the players being listed that has not played with a legit superstar. His teams have had to deal with tons of injuries over the years as well. Chalk it up to bad luck.

SilkkTheShocker
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
To Melo's credit, he is the ONLY one of the players being listed that has not played with a legit superstar. His teams have had to deal with tons of injuries over the years as well. Chalk it up to bad luck.

Jesus, you Knicks fans are excuse machines.

Sarcastic
03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Jesus, you Knicks fans are excuse machines.

How many times have you called Lebron's Cleveland team awful? A thousand? Ten thousand?

How many times have you given credit to Boobie Gibson for carrying Lebron into the Finals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG58oZyw538

A lot less, I am sure.

Dagouch
03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Sarcastic is pretty much right with Melo.

Basically Carmelo Anthony is this Generation's Patrick Ewing in terms of gap of talent between him and the 2nd best player on the team.

the Gap between Durant and Westbrook and Lebron and Wade are not as large as Melo's

imdaman99
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
How many times have you called Lebron's Cleveland team awful? A thousand? Ten thousand?

How many times have you given credit to Boobie Gibson for carrying Lebron into the Finals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG58oZyw538

A lot less, I am sure.
LOL no stupid reply from silk... what a surprise. Great post, as well as the one before :cheers:

TOUCH MY BODY
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
http://cdn.niketalk.com/e/ef/500x1000px-LL-ef77a603_melojacket.jpeg

Smoke117
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Sarcastic is pretty much right with Melo.

Basically Carmelo Anthony is this Generation's Patrick Ewing in terms of gap of talent between him and the 2nd best player on the team.

the Gap between Durant and Westbrook and Lebron and Wade are not as large as Melo's

He is right about nothing. Lebron and Wade have both carried crappy teams on their shoulders before. Lebron and Wade make others around them better. Carmelo Anthony doesn't make anyone around him better.

Sarcastic
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
He is right about nothing. Lebron and Wade have both carried crappy teams on their shoulders before. Lebron and Wade make others around them better. Carmelo Anthony doesn't make anyone around him better.

Who did Wade carry? His team won 15 games in a season. Melo made the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR OF HIS CAREER. He also scored 20+ EVERY SINGLE YEAR OF HIS CAREER.

How many other players can you name that have done both of those?

Dagouch
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll give you Lebron. He did carry those castoffs in the Cavs but he's the exception.

Smoke117
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Who did Wade carry? His team won 15 games in a season. Melo made the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR OF HIS CAREER. He also scored 20+ EVERY SINGLE YEAR OF HIS CAREER.

How many other players can you name that have done both of those?

Who did Wade carry? How about the 2009 and 2010 Heat teams?

Sarcastic
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Who did Wade carry? How about the 2009 and 2010 Heat teams?

:wtf: Both teams lost in the first round. If you are gonna knock Melo for those when the rest of the team sucks, then you had better knock Wade too.

You didn't answer the other question though, which I figured you wouldn't.

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
No he's not. Lebron, Paul, Durant, Kobe, and Wade are clearly better than him, i'm not even 100% sure if he's top 10.

Name me 10 players who are better than Melo.

And tell me what they would bring to NY that Melo does not.

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
If Knicks Fans are not complaining, why are you guys?

Fact is their are only to players in the league you trade Melo for.

Lebron or Durant.

Nobody else.

BlackVVaves
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Are we talking season, or right now this moment?

If we are talking season, the top 4 in my opinion have been:

1. Lebron
2. KD
3. CP3
4. Kobe

If we are talking right this moment (for the past month) the top 4 have been:

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. KD
4. CP3

In both cases, there's only one slot left that Melo is eligible for, competing with the likes of Westbrook, Harden, Parker, Wade.

Is he top 5? It's definitely debatable. Then you have to ask yourself, has he been better than Westbrook, Harden, Parker, and Wade? In terms of statistically value, but also in terms of productivity and, most importantly, impact. I think it can be argued he's had more of an impact than many of those players (considering Westbrook and Wade are playing with two players that are simply better than they are, and Tony Parker plays on a team that wins big whether he has a big game or not [or plays at all, as its been the last several games]).

The Knicks have been a .500 team since December, let's not forget that either. Their current record is a product of amazing TEAM play, and Melo's performances the first 30 games of the season. But, isn't longevity and sustainability important in these discussions as well?

And in terms of comparing the injuries Melo's teammamtes have faced in comparison to others. Is that even a feasible point? The Knicks and Melo for the last three years and particularly this year, have played better (as indicated by the discrepancy in team record) without Amare. In terms of impact, Felton's injury had the most impact on the team's success. It's about team dynamic, not which player is the better player.

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Only James and Durant have the potential to make this Knicks team a title contender.

Anybody else that you guys are claiming to be better than Melo wont take them any further than Melo will.

Westbrook aint taking the knicks nowhere

Harden aint taking the knicks nowhere

Wade aint taking the knicks nowhere

Paul aint taking the knicks nowhere

Kobe aint taking the knicks nowhere.

So if u are not doing anybetter than Melo guess what!... u are not better.

Digital Lee
03-12-2013, 05:05 PM
as of right now no. In the beginning of the season yes. It really depends of if your team is winning.

LikeABosh
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Are we talking season, or right now this moment?

If we are talking season, the top 4 in my opinion have been:

1. Lebron
2. KD
3. CP3
4. Kobe

If we are talking right this moment (for the past month) the top 4 have been:

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. KD
4. CP3

In both cases, there's only one slot left that Melo is eligible for, competing with the likes of Westbrook, Harden, Parker, Wade.

Is he top 5? It's definitely debatable. Then you have to ask yourself, has he been better than Westbrook, Harden, Parker, and Wade? In terms of statistically value, but also in terms of productivity and, most importantly, impact. I think it can be argued he's had more of an impact than many of those players (considering Westbrook and Wade are playing with two players that are simply better than they are, and Tony Parker plays on a team that wins big whether he has a big game or not [or plays at all, as its been the last several games]).

The Knicks have been a .500 team since December, let's not forget that either. Their current record is a product of amazing TEAM play, and Melo's performances the first 30 games of the season. But, isn't longevity and sustainability important in these discussions as well?

And in terms of comparing the injuries Melo's teammamtes have faced in comparison to others. Is that even a feasible point? The Knicks and Melo for the last three years and particularly this year, have played better (as indicated by the discrepancy in team record) without Amare. In terms of impact, Felton's injury had the most impact on the team's success. It's about team dynamic, not which player is the better player.
:no: No way Wade isn't on there. Have you seen the numbers he's put up the last month? Something like 26 per game on 60% shooting, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block and 2 and a half steals

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Clearly better:
Lebron
CP3
Durant
Kobe
Wade
Healthy Dwight

Arguably better:
Harden
Westbrick
Parker
Healthy Rose
Duncan

Passing, Defense, and Leadership

"Healty Dwight" :oldlol: reaching.
"Healthy Rose" :oldlol: Hasnt played a game this year but he is better than a player who is leading his team to a good playoff record.

Parker? Duncan? so you would take these guys over Melo? again... reaching.

Westbrook? Give me Melo.

Harden is having a great year, but again... give me melo.

Arguably dont count cause an argument can be made for the other way.

U R a Clown.

Legends66NBA7
03-12-2013, 05:46 PM

How is that reaching ?

A healthy Dwight would be Top 3-5 player and over Melo. I don't even like Howard, but a lot of people would agree with that.

Joey3000
03-12-2013, 05:51 PM
How is that reaching ?

A healthy Dwight would be Top 3-5 player and over Melo. I don't even like Howard, but a lot of people would agree with that.

And a young TimDuncan would be better than he is.

Top 5 as of right now. Dont give me circumstances.

Young X
03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
"Healthy Rose" :oldlol: Hasnt played a game this year but he is better than a player who is leading his team to a good playoff record.

Parker? Duncan? so you would take these guys over Melo? again... reaching.

Westbrook? Give me Melo.

Harden is having a great year, but again... give me melo.

Arguably dont count cause an argument can be made for the other way.

U R a Clown.
The only thing Melo does well is scoring, and Durant, Lebron, and Kobe are better scorers than him ALONG with being better all-around players. Every other player I mentioned has a better combination of offense and defense than Melo. Why am I even wasting my time responding to a Knicks fan? 1 playoff win in 10 years :oldlol:

detroitdogg
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
:wtf: Both teams lost in the first round. If you are gonna knock Melo for those when the rest of the team sucks, then you had better knock Wade too.

You didn't answer the other question though, which I figured you wouldn't.
Dude, seriously, STFU and get the fukk out of this thread. Did u just say Melo's teams sucked, are you fukkin serious right now, Melo had a great team every year with Denver and went nowhere, even in 2 years with Iverson (made the confrence finals 1 of those, props given). Are you seriously saying that D Wade could not have this current Knicks team as a top 3 on the East, knowing that this NY team with a playmaker like Wade would be much better (especially with STAT), can you imagine a Wade and Stoudemire pick and roll game, shit would be unstoppable. You are ****in stupid, Wade had 1 year in his career where he aint make the playoffs and he missed 51 games that year, his 2nd best player was Shawn Marion lmao. The next 2 years he did not have any shooters or bigs on his team at all, and still was top 5 both years. GTFOH you dumb *****, and im saying this as a NY and Melo fan, but you sound dumb as **** right now lil *****.

La Frescobaldi
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Dude, seriously, STFU and get the fukk out of this thread. Did u just say Melo's teams sucked, are you fukkin serious right now, Melo had a great team every year with Denver and went nowhere, even in 2 years with Iverson (made the confrence finals 1 of those, props given). Are you seriously saying that D Wade could not have this current Knicks team as a top 3 on the East, knowing that this NY team with a playmaker like Wade would be much better (especially with STAT), can you imagine a Wade and Stoudemire pick and roll game, shit would be unstoppable. You are ****in stupid, Wade had 1 year in his career where he aint make the playoffs and he missed 51 games that year, his 2nd best player was Shawn Marion lmao. The next 2 years he did not have any shooters or bigs on his team at all, and still was top 5 both years. GTFOH you dumb *****, and im saying this as a NY and Melo fan, but you sound dumb as **** right now lil *****.

gosh you can't get more brutally factual than writing the book on it.

MaxFly
03-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Amare has been out, but I don't think anyone is going to buy the argument that Melo is on the same tier as Bryant because NY has won more games... especially given the dysfunction LA has seen this year in spite of Bryant's play. The last week+ of play is a perfect example of this. Melo missed 3 games, 2 of which NY won. The one they lost, they lost to OKC by 1 point, with JR Smith missing the shot to win the game. LA just played two games where Bryant had to score 40+ points and dish 10+ assists to win in come from behind fashion. He misses those games, or doesn't have outstanding games... the Lakers lose.

If we were able to point to Bryant's play as the cause for the Lakers' struggles, I'd be with you, but that clearly hasn't been the case... at least this year. In fact, his play is the only reason they have a shot at the playoffs right now.

MaxFly
03-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Seriously, man. You're not sure if he's top 10? Taking it too far. :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Amare has been out, but I don't think anyone is going to buy the argument that Melo is on the same tier as Bryant because NY has won more games... especially given the dysfunction LA has seen this year in spite of Bryant's play. The last week+ of play is a perfect example of this. Melo missed 3 games, 2 of which NY won. The one they lost, they lost to OKC by 1 point, with JR Smith missing the shot to win the game. LA just played two games where Bryant had to score 40+ points and dish 10+ assists to win in come from behind fashion. He misses those games, or doesn't have outstanding games... the Lakers lose.Is JR Smith capable of scoring 25+ ppg on good shooting? Do you really think what he did vs. OKC is symbolic of how he normally plays? It's just an aberration, and an aberration that led to a loss at that. The overall Knick record sans Melo is 5-5. Let's not pretend that Melo hasn't had a huge positive impact for the Knicks this season.

Lord Leoshes
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
If it is a game of horse, or around the world that you don't need to guard anyone on defense then sure Melo, Kobe, & Harden should all be in the top 5.

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Kobe
Harden

Now if its an actual basketball game where you have to defend your man 50% of the game, then Wade needs to be 3rd.

Lebron
Durant
Wade

jrong
03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
No, considering the competiition, you simply aren't a top 5 player today if you have the ball as much as he does, but still shoot sub-45%, represent a liability on defense, and only average 3 apg (how is that even possible considering how many touches he gets??).

I can't put him any higher than 6th. James/Durant/Bryant/Wade/Paul. But, Harden, Parker, and Westbrook also have arguments for #6. I probably would give the spot to Melo, though.

shaq2000
03-12-2013, 08:00 PM
lol @ Melo over Kobe this season.

Human Error
03-13-2013, 09:01 AM
I am shocked a the immense amount of posters who would take Carmelo over Dwight Howard... You cannot be this foolish, people...

Bandito
03-13-2013, 09:42 AM
^ that is what happens when you're a player Stan. Real men wear green is probably a *insert player* Stan and doesn't like Kobe so he correlates his team win percentage with his Kobe's talent without taking into account the reality of his situation.

STATUTORY
03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
^ that is what happens when you're a player Stan. Real men wear green is probably a *insert player* Stan and doesn't like Kobe so he correlates his team win percentage with his Kobe's talent without taking into account the reality of his situation.

RMWG hates greatness. He's intimidated by the accomplishments of Kobe, a perpetual reminder of his own ineptitude.

Real Men Wear Green
03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
You have to be a real idiot to think I'm trashing Bryant here.

Riley Martin
03-13-2013, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't say you're trashing him either, but I'd say you're underrating him by putting him on Anthony's level for this year. Or overrating Carmelo.

Real Men Wear Green
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't say you're trashing him either, but I'd say you're underrating him by putting him on Anthony's level for this year. Or overrating Carmelo.
I am aware of the fact that people disagree. But realize that I said a guy on a team 3 games over .500 sitting in the 8th seed is the 4th or 5th best player in the league. How often do you see a player on a team in that position rated in the top 3?

Ballin416
03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
I have him right around 5th.

He's still one of the best scorers in the league. Can bully his way through smaller defenders but also too quick for the less nimble power forwards. His mid range and long range was automatic early to mid season and his quick release cannot be blocked. Decent post up and footwork to boot.

Hope he regains his rhythm going into the playoffs as the Knicks will go as far as his hot hand will take them which is the difference between a second round exit or challenging the three amigos.

Bigsmoke
03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
other words, would you rather have Carmelo Anthony over these players?

Russell Westbrook
Dwight Howard
Tony Parker
Blake Griffin
James Harden
Kyrie Irving
Stephen Curry
Marc Gasol
Joakim Noah
Chris Bosh
Pau Gasol

LBJ
Durant
CP3
Melo

Sarcastic
03-13-2013, 04:30 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

WTF is this shit? Tough guy e-Thug. You wouldn't say any of this to me in person.

SilkkTheShocker
03-13-2013, 05:12 PM
I personally think Melo is closer to Joe Johnson than he is to LeBron, Wade, Kobe, etc.