PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Should Expand to 32 Teams

SourPatchKids
03-13-2013, 01:20 AM
The following is a blueprint to how Stern and all the other bigwig executives and GM's of the National Basketball Association could make NBA Basketball more awesome and open up new tv markets etc etc:

1. 32 Teams, Divided up into 2 Conferences of 16 AND 8 divisions of 4

2. Top 2 teams from each division and the top top 3 3rd place teams of a decision have a shot at postseason. ( I know I worded this weirdly if you can't picture this in your head right now just know that 22/32 teams have a postseason)

3. Seeding: Of the 11 teams that qualify in each conference, the top 7 automatically get conference quarterfinal spots. The team that finished 2nd place in it's division but has a worse record than all the other teams that placed 2nd in their division, gets the 8th seed. 9th-11th seeds are the three teams that finished third in their division with the best records.

4. Play-in rounds: 8th seeds plays 11th seed in a 3 game series and the winner of that plays the winner of a 3 game series between the 9th and 10th seeds in a 5 game series.

5. Rest of Playoffs are the same as we have now. Note: the play-in rounds are added to deter teams from tanking.

6. Draft expanded to 65 picks, the 1st pick is available to any team that didn't qualify for it's conference quarterfinal, so if your team lost in the play-in rounds they still have a shot at the 1st overall. The 1st pick is awarded to the team that the 32 league General Managers vote to have been the most sportsmanlike and upheld the highest standard of competitiveness and fairness in the previous season. Note: The general managers of the 16 teams eligible for this aren't allowed to vote for their own team

6.The remaining 64 picks is distributed evenly to the 32 teams based on overall record.

7. The Sprite Slam Dunk contest will feature both NBA players and non-NBA players.

8. All current NBA officials are paid a sum of money equal to the amount they would make in 3 years of officiating and then are replaced by High Tech Computer Machines that make 99.98% accurate calls. The only human official needed is a referee that looks for unsportsmanship like conduct and other infractions that warrant a technical foul. This official is not decided beforehand but is a random celebrity chosen from the courtside seats.

Come on NBA do it, bring the league back to Seattle and to the shores of Baltimore/Conneticut

chazzy
03-13-2013, 01:25 AM
Take away 2 teams, not add 2. Too many bad teams as it is, why dilute the league even further

shady6121
03-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Take away 2 teams, not add 2. Too many bad teams as it is, why dilute the league even further

This.

coin24
03-13-2013, 01:31 AM

This. There's enough bottom feeders as it is thank you :lol

03-13-2013, 03:46 AM
having lived in Europe and watched how pro soccer works a little bit, I will say add 2 teams too.

But divide or add a new categorization of League 1 and League 2.

That's 16 teams per league. Basically League 1 would have all of the best teams arbitrarily determined (best record since last 8-10 years.

League 2 would most likely have Wizards, Kings, Bobcats, TWolves, etc... (all the way to 16 teams).

League 1 and League 2 teams would play each other only twice a year (once at each other's arena).

Imagine having to watch the Celtics and Lakers play more than twice per regular season. money jackpot for ratings and hype.

The 2 new teams added would be Kansas City and Seattle. More than likely they will be relegated to League 2.

Adding 2 more teams will give more opportunities for potential to want to make money and the League 1 and 2 categorizations are great for fans as it matches the best teams more often against each other.

imnew09
03-13-2013, 03:51 AM
Stick to OTC kid

Nba should eliminate Bobcats, Wizards, Hornets, Sacramento, and shorten the amount of games.

AirTupac
03-13-2013, 03:51 AM
having lived in Europe and watched how pro soccer works a little bit, I will say add 2 teams too.

That's 16 teams per league. Basically League 1 would have all of the best teams arbitrarily determined (best record since last 8-10 years.

League 2 would most likely have Wizards, Kings, Bobcats, TWolves, etc... (all the way to 16 teams).

League 1 and League 2 teams would play each other only twice a year (once at each other's arena).

Imagine having to watch the Celtics and Lakers play more than twice per regular season. money jackpot for ratings and hype.

The 2 new teams added would be Kansas City and Seattle. More than likely they will be relegated to League 2.

Adding 2 more teams will give more opportunities for potential to want to make money and the League 1 and 2 categorizations are great for fans as it matches the best teams more often against each other.

That's actually really interesting.

Lebron23
03-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Bring back the Hornets to Charlotte.

Send the Bobcats to Vancouver. Vancouver Bobcats

I want to see an NBA team in Mexico or Las vegas.

miller-time
03-13-2013, 03:55 AM

I do like the idea. Especially relegating or promoting teams based on end of year record. My only concern is trying to get signings if you are already in the lower division? Who wants to spend at least a season (if not their entire contract) with no possible chance at making the actual playoffs?

Djahjaga
03-13-2013, 03:58 AM

I've always loved the two league system in football. Encourages teams to perform their best every year so they don't drop out of the top league and the competition would be awesome. The best part is that the games in the second league wouldn't necessarily suck. Teams like the Twolves, Jazz, and Cavs would still be fun to watch. And the frequent exchange of teams between the two leagues would keep things interesting.

Damn. Now I'm almost sad it'll never, ever happen.

03-13-2013, 03:59 AM
Stick to OTC kid

Nba should eliminate Bobcats, Wizards, Hornets, Sacramento, and shorten the amount of games.

That would realistically be not viable. No owner will want to relinquish and told he can no longer own a team (cough make money cough). This is America the home of capitalism.

SacJB Shady
03-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Bring back the Hornets to Charlotte.

Send the Bobcats to Vancouver. Vancouver Bobcats

I want to see an NBA team in Mexico or Las vegas.

This.

There should be the Las Vegas Kings
And a team in Tijuana, Mexico.

Memphis should move to the East, which will balance out the talent

03-13-2013, 04:01 AM
I do like the idea. Especially relegating or promoting teams based on end of year record. My only concern is trying to get signings if you are already in the lower division? Who wants to spend at least a season (if not their entire contract) with no possible chance at making the actual playoffs?

Honestly, I haven't thought of this entirely through because I am not as knowledgeable in sports business.

Do you mean mid season signings?

the salary caps will stay the same but the league 1 and 2 will separate those who care about winning out of those who don't care as much.

Djahjaga
03-13-2013, 04:02 AM

My initial thought was to make the salary cap larger in the bottom league, but I'm not sure how financially viable that is, as they'd be making less money than the teams in the top league.

03-13-2013, 04:10 AM
I've always loved the two league system in football. Encourages teams to perform their best every year so they don't drop out of the top league and the competition would be awesome. The best part is that the games in the second league wouldn't necessarily suck. Teams like the Twolves, Jazz, and Cavs would still be fun to watch. And the frequent exchange of teams between the two leagues would keep things interesting.

Damn. Now I'm almost sad it'll never, ever happen.

Yes that's what I had in mind. There would be an arrangement between a marquee team from League 1 who would play against a league 2 team on national TV to give exposure of the League 2 team.

The lottery teams all go to League 2 (negotiable though). So imagine a much hyped #1 pick going up against the Heat or Lakers.

chosen_one6
03-13-2013, 04:14 AM
This.

And a team in San Diego

Fixed

bukowski81
03-13-2013, 04:17 AM

How will standings work??? There are going to be teams in the bad league with pretty good records.

Lebron23
03-13-2013, 04:18 AM
This.

Tijuana Assassins

03-13-2013, 04:22 AM
My initial thought was to make the salary cap larger in the bottom league, but I'm not sure how financially viable that is, as they'd be making less money than the teams in the top league.

As I said in the first page, I am not that knowledgeable in sports business so I haven't thought it through. You bring up a good point. yes it takes money to make money in the NBA business and in business overall.

The tricky part of larger salary cap for League 2 is because once they get promoted to league 1, then does this newly promoted team have to take a pay cut? or readjust their salary cap? Not saying it's unfeasible it just means there will be some logistic recalibration on the part of the accountants.

I am not sure if the players will be happy about that.

My initial thought was to keep the salaries the same as the players are satisified (CBA congruent) while at the same time have competitive teams play each other more often. Sort of like a the big boys recess playground vs the other big boys.

League 2 will be like a kiddie pool.

03-13-2013, 04:24 AM
How will standings work??? There are going to be teams in the bad league with pretty good records.

Arbitrarily determined those teams from the bad league with pretty good records will be promoted to league 1.

ThaRegul8r
03-13-2013, 04:38 AM
The NBA doesn't need to add more teams. That's ridiculous.

senelcoolidge
03-13-2013, 05:10 AM
The league is already so watered down..why add to that.

MMM
03-13-2013, 05:57 AM
The league isn't watered down it just seems that way due to the style of basketball played. There is more talent in the league than ever before. I would say expand to 32 teams and have 4 divisions of 8

Atlantic
Boston
New York
Philly
Brooklyn
Miami
Atlanta
Washington
Charlotte

Central
Toronto
Cleveland
Detroit
Indiana
Chicago
Milwaukee
Memphis
Minnesota

Pacific
LAL
LAC
Seattle
Portland
Vancouver
Phoenix
Sacramento
Golden State

South
Orlando
New Orleans
San Antonio
Houston
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Denver
Utah

The South Division isn't perfect but i do like to see some of these former div rivalries come back(LAL vs. Por, Uta vs. SAS/Hou, Mia vs. NY, etc.). Also, i like the idea that the NHL is throwing out about the first few rounds of the playoffs being withing the division. Sort of reminds me of a Conference Champ in NCAA.

tomtucker
03-13-2013, 06:22 AM

true....:applause: ................to OP, keep to Expanding your asshole on a daily basis

Lebron23
03-13-2013, 06:27 AM
true....:applause: ................to OP, keep to Expanding your asshole on a daily basis

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

andremiller07
03-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Basketball is a sport where there is a surplus of talent across the whole globe, the main reason a lot of teams are crap is due to poor drafting/trades (management) its not cause theres a lack of talent in the NBA or any other place for that matter.

I don't see why not add the two more teams just stop this bs of 3+ superstars on one team somehow.

MaxFly
03-13-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm always amused when I hear people complain that adding more teams to the league would water down the league by diluting the talent. Between 1988 and 1996, the NBA added 6 teams... Orlando, Miami, Minnesota, Charlotte, Vancouver and Toronto... yet people claim that the 90s was the toughest defensive era and one of the toughest eras to play in, making it one of the best eras for basketball.

Uhhuh...

03-13-2013, 07:23 AM
There are teams that have poor records because it's the only way it can be.

For a team to win their opponent must lose.

To eliminate "watered down" talent, contracting is NOT the logical idea at all. Mathematically, there must always be teams that have pi$$ poor records.

Asiantastic
03-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Send the Clippers out of LA and I guarantee that the hate on this forum goes down 75%.

Crystallas
03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
The NBA wont be able to expand to 32 teams, until it develops a legitimate "farm system". No, not like the current D-League. D-League has to evolve. Once you have pro-talent pools and development working to the point that every team calls up and sends down players to their affiliate, the league will have the some options to expand. The other options would be fixing the super-team incentives a bit more than they already have. This can be done in a way that allows both the players and owners to be satisfied, unless they happen to currently have a "super-team".

Finn T-Mac
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Should take away teams (2-4) and shorten season to 62 games

InspiredLebowski
03-13-2013, 09:12 AM
It's not about diluting the talent pool. It's about there not being 32 viable professional basketball markets. Make your league healthy before you think about getting bigger. It's like a single mom with 3 kids on food stamps going out looking to get knocked up.

CLTHornets4eva
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
The lottery teams all go to League 2 (negotiable though). So imagine a much hyped #1 pick going up against the Heat or Lakers.

That already happens. The NBA would be even more top heavy, less competitive. Referees already reward top teams, and I'd hate to see all those front running fans all over the country continue to multiply.

The NBA needs to increase parity and that is the last thing that needs to happen. How bout be return the first round to a best of 5 series? That was great BBALL.

03-13-2013, 09:27 AM
That already happens. The NBA would be even more top heavy, less competitive. Referees already reward top teams, and I'd hate to see all those front running fans all over the country continue to multiply.

The NBA needs to increase parity and that is the last thing that needs to happen. How bout be return the first round to a best of 5 series? That was great BBALL.

The NBA is already top heavy and that's with the current CBA meant to create parity. Fiscal parity is actually the correct way to describe the parity but

Fiscal parity =/= competitive parity. Or at most small correlation.

My idea from the first page was a compromise for team owners who want to make money (though not necessarily win) and fans who want to see the serious teams to compete against each other more often.

gengiskhan
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Should take away teams (2-4) and shorten season to 62 games

so that there are more BOTTOM FEEDERS than Ever.

NBA is already TOP HEAVY.

East got MIA, NYK, IND

West got SAS, OKC, LAC

Even Lakers are strictly average with their record.

32 teams will result in even more DILUTED TALENT which is already DILUTED ENOUGHT DUE TO LACK OF FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND PF & CENTERS.

NCAA teams can beat NBA BOTTOM FEEDING Teams today.

could never have made the above statement in '80s & '90s.

Overdrive
03-13-2013, 09:41 AM

How do you want ti promote the second league? I Football no 2nd league club is able to aquire veteran stars, because they want to he in topteams. So most of the second league teams can't stay in the first league once they promote.

03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
How do you want to promote the second league? In Football no 2nd league club is able to acquire veteran stars, because they want to go to the top teams. So most of the second league teams can't stay in the first league once they promote.

The second league "can" work as a farm system for younger players to develop. If that's how a team wants to "roll." The league 2 teams won't be able to acquire veterans because I am assuming most of them will place making money over winning. And that's fine.

The League 2 teams' players will eventually become veterans themselves. Of course that's assuming the players like playing with each other and continue to do so.

The League 1 teams will have an opportunity to compete against other teams who want to win. And this imo will add more credibility to their titles.

And that's what fans want to see more great teams play each other more times per year.

Hopefully I answered well enough. If not holla.:cheers:

Dagouch
03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
If anything get rid of two teams minimum from both East and West.

Not that will ever happen tho.

03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
If anything get rid of two teams minimum from both East and West.

Not that will ever happen tho.

You obviously haven't read the whole thread.

Getting rid of two teams will not happen. No owner currently owning will likely relinquish his franchise into contracting and/or join another NBA team ownership group.

The name of the game of owning a sports franchise (at least in the US) is to make money. Many NBA owners are very content making money while putting out mediocre products and stringing fans along with their intent of "rebuilding" and eventually look to a utopian future of being an elite in the NBA.

That's not a way to build trust with your fan base. They treat their fans like suckers.

If a team was serious enough to win and it depends how badly they want to win it all, they can move up to League 1 and stay there.

OKC is a good example. Their nucleus is KD and RW (and before he was traded James Harden). When they were still in Seattle, they had the worst record in franchise history eventually building through the draft, they became a top team.

wagexslave
03-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Haha good one.

Wait, you're actually serious?

ROFL :roll:

gengiskhan
03-13-2013, 04:05 PM

who will be their owners?

A franchise named LOS POLLOS HERMANOS

owner's name will be Gustavo fraign.

Only Cartels got enough money to own NBA franchise in Mexico.

DMV2
03-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Isn't this what we have here in American football, the NFL? :confusedshrug:

But instead of leagues, we call it conferences. 2 Conferences(leagues) with 16 teams each.

vert48
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Isn't this what we have here in American football, the NFL? :confusedshrug:

But instead of leagues, we call it conferences. 2 Conferences(leagues) with 16 teams each.No, this in nothing like the NFL. What he is talking about is a premier league, and a relegation league.