PDA

View Full Version : Video: Dahntay Jones on Kobe's last shot

9erempiree
03-14-2013, 05:47 AM
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7320/142622375crop650x440.jpg

What are the chances we see Kobe coaching this team while he's hurt? I think it's great idea considering last year when he coached the team to a winning record.

Will we see the return of the original, Coachbe? Or will he stay home and get his ankles treated?

I hope he comes back because it will be great to get fresh ideas and get the team ready for his return.

Coachbe.

iamgine
03-14-2013, 05:53 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=263571

MMM
03-14-2013, 06:13 AM
honestly want to see him be a player coach after MDA is fired
heck after his contract is up can they sign him to a player contract of 10 mil a season for a few years and a coach contract of 10 mil or would that be against the CBA????

KOBE143
03-14-2013, 06:20 AM
I think last year Coachbe was a top 3 coach in that short period of time..

1. Coach Pop
2. Coach Spo
3. Coachbe

eurobum
03-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Some of you who's on dat Twitter needs to tweet him "Coachbe?"

Jyap9675
03-14-2013, 06:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kRFYW3k-M

You be the judge.. but there's one thing for sure, stepping on someone's foot and spraining your ankle hurts a LOT. Happened to me once :facepalm

DropStep
03-14-2013, 06:37 AM
I cant believe people are actually debating this. It would look much more obvious if he doing it on purpose. Look at his reaction after the shot bricked. If Dahntay Jones can act that well, he needs to rethink his career.

2swift4u
03-14-2013, 06:39 AM
hard to tell whether he walked under him on purpose. Didn't look to me like that. But he didn't really jump to block the shot so he easily could have kept some distance and avoided the contact!

Asukal
03-14-2013, 06:43 AM
FFS! Its not intentional, he tried to guard him as closely as he could and that is the result. Shit like this happens all the time.. :facepalm

The-Legend-24
03-14-2013, 06:45 AM
If that was Durant instead of Kobe, Durant gets the whistle.

Unforgiven
03-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Even if Jones was trying to injure Kobe, it'd be pretty hard to achieve.

Perfectly placing your foot under a jump shooter, and him landing on your foot off centre to allow a roll....:rolleyes:

Kobe is a warrior though, they minute his footy is remotely close to basketball healthy, he'll be back.

Let's go Nash system!

dbk123
03-14-2013, 06:54 AM
inb4 coach of the year and dantoni gets placed as assistant coach

SacJB Shady
03-14-2013, 06:56 AM
He's not really hurt. Even the Warriors commentator said,''Well he's the Black Mamba. So he shall return.''

elementally morale
03-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Doesn't look intentional to me at all. Shit happens.

9erempiree
03-14-2013, 07:35 AM
I honestly think Coachbe can get the team in the playoffs. He knows his X's and O's and Nash respects him.

I don't have a problem with him healing and just coaching.

Mike Brown took advice from Coachbe but I hope D'antoni is not too stubborn when it comes to advice.

P.S. Bring back Phil's chair for Coachbe.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LxpaffZjDlU/UCfh3SAQtYI/AAAAAAAAAKk/nETUOQaxdJY/s1600/Coach+Kobe.png

9erempiree
03-14-2013, 07:39 AM
I think last year Coachbe was a top 3 coach in that short period of time..

1. Coach Pop
2. Coach Spo
3. Coachbe

Pretty much correct. During that short span when Coachbe was player/coach the Lakers had a great record. If he got a full time job as coach and player, there is no doubt Kobe could have contended for coach of the year. Whether he wins it? I don't know.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmgPBuYh24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r337CGdSFko

If he can't play, I sure as hell think he can help by coaching. Especially since the team is fighting for a playoff spot.

lakerspng
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
He knows he can't get up to bother the shot up top so he's just trying to crowd him and make him feel uncomfortable and take his focus from the shot. The problem is that sliding up under a player like that is a foul and it clearly should have been called, terrible non call there

Whoah10115
03-14-2013, 10:03 AM
It's not even an issue of him trying to slide his feet under so Kobe would land on him; it's simply a dirty play and an obvious foul. You don't have to want to injure someone for it to be dirty.

Rolando
03-14-2013, 10:09 AM
He knows he can't get up to bother the shot up top so he's just trying to crowd him and make him feel uncomfortable and take his focus from the shot. The problem is that sliding up under a player like that is a foul and it clearly should have been called, terrible non call there

This.

That was a dangerous play. You just don't do that.

AirTupac
03-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Turns his hips and slides under him. He's always been a piece of shit dirty player.

G-Funk
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
no need for him, to have his feet under, Kobe faded away and Hones still manages to get uder him? my as it wasnt intentional

G-Funk
03-14-2013, 10:33 AM
no need for him, to have his feet under him, Kobe faded away and Jones still manages to get uder him? my as it wasnt intentional

Allstar24
03-14-2013, 10:36 AM
D-grade player who has a history of trying to injure Kobe...

CeltsGarlic
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Those are painful and disturbing. Had couple of times, but with Kobes weight and older ankles, this could take a week or two.
#BeWell

lpublic_enemyl
03-14-2013, 10:39 AM
D-grade player who has a history of trying to injure Kobe...
he did try, and that a dangerous play u can not slide under someone when they are shooting

Nero Tulip
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
It's karma for this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3nSlrYwHZQ

100% undeserved win and ends a promising rookie's season tearing his ACL.

gengiskhan
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
hard to tell whether he walked under him on purpose. Didn't look to me like that. But he didn't really jump to block the shot so he easily could have kept some distance and avoided the contact!

Exactly!

He wanted to play good D. He did that. It wasnt the perfect D cuz he didnt jump up. that is not dirty at all. It was just a freak incident.

If jones jumped into kobe to contest a shot & kobe got injured. thats a different story.

He barely walked into kobe. Barely!

Sarcastic
03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
All players are taught to do that though. I don't think he was specifically looking to hurt Kobe, but that is one of the effects of that move of getting underneath the shooter.

lakerspng
03-14-2013, 10:54 AM
All players are taught to do that though. I don't think he was specifically looking to hurt Kobe, but that is one of the effects of that move of getting underneath the shooter.

but that move has specifically been made a foul because of exactly what happened, the danger of injuring the offensive player. It is a dangerous play and an illegal play.

ZeN
03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
We need to make an ISH Fund to contract a hit man to kill Jones.

Kind of kidding.

elementally morale
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM
We need to make an ISH Fund to contract a hit man to kill Jones.

Not a desperate enough measure. Him and his family as a minimum. Still not enough but at least a decent start.

Grey Dawn
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Yep, cuz Kobe never gets any whistles.

elementally morale
03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Yep, cuz Kobe never gets any whistles.

It was a foul. I'm not sure Jones wanted to cause an injury though. Look like a bad play but unintentional to me.

Grey Dawn
03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Also, Kobe kicks his leg out majorly into Jones, which is what leads to the contact, and his other foot (left) getting tangled up.

So it is the way Kobe jumped and kicked his leg out that led to getting hurt.

Grey Dawn
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
It was a foul. I'm not sure Jones wanted to cause an injury though. Look like a bad play but unintentional to me.

But Kobe kicks his leg out and into Jones before any Jones foul on him. That is a point of focus for refs this year, not giving calls to players who kick their legs out when jump-shooting to create space, or quite often calling that an offensive foul.

eriX
03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
if kobes during his fadeaway didnt extend his leg so much, he wouldn't have made contact with jones and lost complete balance for the fall.

Can't say its COMPLETELY jones fault, it was a unnecessary contact made by him but lets hope the mamba heals well.

Sarcastic
03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
but that move has specifically been made a foul because of exactly what happened, the danger of injuring the offensive player. It is a dangerous play and an illegal play.

I am not saying it wasn't a foul.

I don't think Jones was thinking on the play "hurt him, hurt him, hurt him".

ZeN
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Not a desperate enough measure. Him and his family as a minimum. Still not enough but at least a decent start.
His family can be spared.. He needs to be made an example. You make an unintentional foul and you must beware that somewhere, someone will murder you for it. Blaming people with ignorant reasons is what America (and ISH) is all about. Thank goodness I have Deadpool on speed dial.. or someone can give me the number of that fellow Courtney procured to depart that Kurt guy.

strike first
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
how many times can this dude sprain his ankles?

Kobe has very effeminate features.. skinny ankles, wrists, hands.

A guy like lebron has big tree trunk ankles and fat wrists, and can take these kinds of falls.. A true measure of a GOAT physically.

lakerspng
03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
I am not saying it wasn't a foul.

I don't think Jones was thinking on the play "hurt him, hurt him, hurt him".

I don't think he was trying to hurt him, just trying to distract him. Problem is, it's not legal for him to do it, and he knows it. There are legal means of distraction (i.e.: putting your hand right in front of a player's face like Tony Allen and Battier do to Kobe) and illegal means, like sliding under a player to make them worry more about their landing than their follow through.

pegasus
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Dirty play and definitely a foul. I sprained my ankle the same way a couple of months ago and told the guy off. I was the second player he injured the same way in just two weeks. I hate it when defenders to that.:rant

chips93
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
i think its a reckless play, but not dirty

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Finally seen the play, thought everybody was exaggerating.Wow, the hate on Jones is warranted imo.

Pointguard
03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Nothing illegal at all. Kobe and Wade pump people into stepping into them all the time. You have to crowd them or they go up and under you. What was he supposed to do just watch it. Dahntay has his own momentum and he's trying not to foul. He definitely doesn't have the time to

One try to guard Kobe effectively to just win the game
Two, keep track of time.
Three, keep balance knowing that the scouting report says Kobe "keeps you off balance."
Four, try not to foul and watch his own momentum and forget his natural instincts.
Five, execute perfect footing so that Kobe lands on your foot.

Trust me, if he could all of that its just easier to steal the ball. Its not like he choreographs with Kobe for dancing with the stars and can predict the herky jerk pull ups with his eyes closed.

They aren't playing LA anymore and he has no history of being that type of player.

TexasBloodMoney
03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Kobe is one of the best players ever at making crazy fade-away shots (just look at the 3 he made prior to that shot, didn't even think, just took it and drained it). Seemed more like Jones trying to play really tight defense on him, and he was standing straight up, so I'm not sure it was a blatant foul either.

But Kobe has his cult following that will demonize anybody who wrongs him, whether intentional or not. This thing is getting blown way out of proportion.

Hope he gets well soon though.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Kobe is one of the best players ever at making crazy fade-away shots (just look at the 3 he made prior to that shot, didn't even think, just took it and drained it). Seemed more like Jones trying to play really tight defense on him, and he was standing straight up, so I'm not sure it was a blatant foul either.

But Kobe has his cult following that will demonize anybody who wrongs him, whether intentional or not. This thing is getting blown way out of proportion.

Hope he gets well soon though.
i dunno man, looked like he walked right under him after kobe went up in the air. looked deliberate, but i suppose he could have lost balance. doubtful, but i only saw the replay once.

chazzy
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
It's karma for this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3nSlrYwHZQ

100% undeserved win and ends a promising rookie's season tearing his ACL.
:oldlol: Wow

ProfessorMurder
03-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Turns his hips and slides under him. He's always been a piece of shit dirty player.

Kobe is a piece of shit dirty player.

Floppy
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Would anyone give a shit if this happened to Nate Robinson and would people call it a dirty play? I very much doubt it.

These plays happen all the time just that they usually don't end up hurting players. Especially if you fade it's much more unlikely to get anything but a tweaked ankle from these plays.

Reminds me of some guy commiting a totally normal foul that happened to injure Messi and everyone pretending like he tried to murder him.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't think he did it with the intention with injuring him but he definitely wanted to crowd him and make him think about his landing.

DKLaker
03-14-2013, 01:30 PM

I agree and he should be suspended.

imnew09
03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Would anyone give a shit if this happened to Nate Robinson and would people call it a dirty play? I very much doubt it.

These plays happen all the time just that they usually don't end up hurting players. Especially if you fade it's much more unlikely to get anything but a tweaked ankle from these plays.

Reminds me of some guy commiting a totally normal foul that happened to injure Messi and everyone pretending like he tried to murder him.

Please post videos about "these plays happen all the time" :facepalm

A basketball player with no intention of hurting others will NEVER plant his foot into the jumper's landing space. Period.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Pretty much correct. During that short span when Coachbe was player/coach the Lakers had a great record. If he got a full time job as coach and player, there is no doubt Kobe could have contended for coach of the year. Whether he wins it? I don't know.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmgPBuYh24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r337CGdSFko

If he can't play, I sure as hell think he can help by coaching. Especially since the team is fighting for a playoff spot.
:lol :lol :lol :roll: :roll:

10/10 trolling :applause:

daily
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
honestly want to see him be a player coach after MDA is fired
heck after his contract is up can they sign him to a player contract of 10 mil a season for a few years and a coach contract of 10 mil or would that be against the CBA????
That would be against the NBA rules

The Choken One
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Kobe will retire as greatest coach ever. With his ball IQ...definitely has a chance.

rs98762001
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Somehow Coachbe is so much more likeable than Playerbe. Not sure why.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
I never liked Frobe but i like oldbe.

crisoner
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

9erempiree
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM

That's because Kobe can physically destroy an opponent where Coachbe can't do anything except draw up plays and yell out instructions.

imnew09
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Because Coachbe seems to be more passionate, while MambaBe bites people on the floor

Mr. Jabbar
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: Its great to see a sharp looking guy who actually knows what hes doing in the coaching spot for a change, expect the Lakers to improve their rotations, defensive assignments and off the ball movements.

Kobe will impact on the court or off the court, pick your poison. Being a Lakers fan was never so ez. :sleeping

rs98762001
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Because Coachbe seems to be more passionate...
Really? So Coachbe has more passion than StreetHungerBe?

RoundMoundOfReb
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: Its great to see a sharp looking guy who actually knows what hes doing in the coaching spot for a change, expect the Lakers to improve their rotations, defensive assignments and off the ball movements.

Kobe will impact on the court or off the court, pick your poison. Being a Lakers fan was never so ez. :sleeping
Coachbe in the avatar? :applause: :applause:

9erempiree
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
It still remains to be seen whether he will watch the game in the locker rooom or put on that suit and coach this damn team.

I hope Coachbe will emphasize on defense more.

Mrofir
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
How clever. Kobe fans have already found a way to credit Kobe with the success this team is about to have without him.

ripthekik
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
If Coachbe gets a few rings, implementing his style of Kobe System basketball, does he climb the top 10 ranks even higher? :eek: Could he end up with more rings than Russel?

Mr. Jabbar
How clever. Kobe fans have already found a way to credit Kobe with the success this team is about to have without him.

Its not clever nor dumb, its just the way it is. Do you remember how he gave Mike Brown orders, and taught him bball basics during his coaching time? Mike Brown was assistant coach at best while kobe got in that suit.

9erempiree

Found a way? It hasn't been confirmed whether he's going to coach them or not. I think since he's out indefinitely, he should put the suit on and coach like he did last season. When he did this they were winning.

The Lakers are probably going to play harder and dedicate these few games to Kobe. Teams usually play harder when their leader goes down. It's just human nature.

I think Lakers will play well and if Coachbe returns, their defense will be better because I think Kobe's going to take that duty and coach this team some defense.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Its not clever nor dumb, its just the way it is. Do you remember how he gave Mike Brown orders, and taught him bball basics during his coaching time? Mike Brown was assistant coach at best while kobe got in that suit.
repped.

9erempiree
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Time to bring back those coaching gifs.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn254/Filsasco/coachbe.gif

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
The NBA rule book states that opposing players must allow jump shooters space to land. It's a reckless and dangerous play otherwise.

Here is Bruce Bowen talking about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU55SflHjFA#!

Here is Jalen Rose talking about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP2rsWrtCQk

Here is Jalen Rose coping to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0T08-gJVcc

I personally don't think he did this intentionally... but this was a reckless and irresponsible play. Moreover, it was unusual. I really don't have an issue with people calling it dirty. I know if someone did that to me on the court, I would be incensed.

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Exactly!

He wanted to play good D. He did that. It wasnt the perfect D cuz he didnt jump up. that is not dirty at all. It was just a freak incident.

If jones jumped into kobe to contest a shot & kobe got injured. thats a different story.

He barely walked into kobe. Barely!

Walking underneath a player is arguably more dangerous than jumping into a player. Jones' leg is under Bryant's groin. Crowding a player in such a manner that they land on your foot even though they are fading away isn't good defense. You're embarrassing yourself... you sound illogical.

Mrofir
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM
lol. Whatever. I'm hoping they win so I'm on your side.

I just think if the offense flows more smoothly, it's going to be because Kobe's shots are distributed. He's a fantastic player but I don't think the balance with this team has been right since the all star break. Without those 2 crazy comeback wins, their record would be considerably less impressive. They lost some bad/close games earlier in the season, so I'm not taking anything away from their recent success. But they're not going to win in the playoffs with Kobe taking more than 18-24 shots. This could be a blessing in disguise. If the team is rolling with Pau integrated when Kobe returns, he will have no choice but to assimilate to some degree. It's going to be interesting to watch. Then again, maybe they'll look terrible. Btw, if Kobe coaches and they lose em all, that's also because of how great Kobe is right? Just making sure..

Rysio
03-14-2013, 02:18 PM
not only is he the best player in the league he's arguably the best coach in the league. i would be shocked if the lakers dont make the finals even if he has to carry them from the sidelines.

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Please post videos about "these plays happen all the time" :facepalm

A basketball player with no intention of hurting others will NEVER plant his foot into the jumper's landing space. Period.

I don't agree with this. I think it can happen unintentionally. Players can have their momentum carry them too far, they can slip, they can misjudge, they can make a poor decision. All of this can be done absent of the intent to injure the offensive player. In these cases, it constitutes a lack of consideration for the physical well being of your opponent. It is reckless and dangerous, but it doesn't always have to be intentional.

In the Jones case, I can see good arguments on both sides. Regardless, it was reckless on his part, and the more I watch the replay, the more I think the league should look into it.

crisoner
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
If we are playing at the park...and somebody does exactly what Jones did to a homey. I'm knocking that dude out. I seen that many times before and there is always a throw down soon after if there is no apology. That was a dirty f*cking play and dude knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

There is also HISTORY that comes in play as well as Jones tweets right after.
So not only was there NO FOUL called but there was it was clear as day that was intentional. These are pro players who do this for a living. They KNOW what they are doing.

Dirty f*cking play.

Nero Tulip
03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
And if you're in my team and you're doing what Kobe did... I'm knocking you out.

Hey wake up guys, basketball isn't supposed to be about taking outside shots with a defender in your face. It's not supposed to be that easy. The league is not supposed to make it even easier for outside shooters.

How many times is Bryant bailed out by the refs after a horrible outside shot with just a bit of contact. There is no other league where shooters have it that easy. And now he asks for even more protection? :facepalm

HorryIsMyMVP
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
And if you're in my team and you're doing what Kobe did... I'm knocking you out.

Hey wake up guys, basketball isn't supposed to be about taking outside shots with a defender in your face. It's not supposed to be that easy. The league is not supposed to make it even easier for outside shooters.

How many times is Bryant bailed out by the refs after a horrible outside shot with just a bit of contact. There is no other league where shooters have it that easy. And now he asks for even more protection? :facepalm
So basically a only offense player wants the league to ban defense. Who would have thought?

HorryIsMyMVP
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Kobe is the best cheerleader ever.

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM

Here is what the NBA rulebook says...

2. Guarding an Opponent
In all guarding situations, a player is entitled to any spot on the court he desires, provided he legally gets to that spot first and without contact with an opponent. If a defensive or offensive player has established a position on the floor and his opponent initiates contact that results in the dislodging of the opponent, a foul should be called IMMEDIATELY.

During all throw-ins, the defensive player(s) must be allowed to take a position between his man and the basket.

A player may continue to move after gaining a guarding position in the path of an opponent provided he is not moving directly or obliquely toward his opponent when contact occurs. A player is never permitted to move into the path of an opponent after the opponent has jumped into the air.

You're saying that rule, in bold, is unfair to defensive players, and that defensive players should be allowed to undercut jump shooters when they feel that it is in their best interest, in spite of the injury it could cause?

Whether or not the shot was a good shot or bad shot, what does that have to do with a player being undercut and not allowed to land safely?

imnew09
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't agree with this. I think it can happen unintentionally. Players can have their momentum carry them too far, they can slip, they can misjudge, they can make a poor decision. All of this can be done absent of the intent to injure the offensive player. In these cases, it constitutes a lack of consideration for the physical well being of your opponent. It is reckless and dangerous, but it doesn't always have to be intentional.

In the Jones case, I can see good arguments on both sides. Regardless, it was reckless on his part, and the more I watch the replay, the more I think the league should look into it.

Good argument? What good argument :facepalm . Jones has tripped Kobe on PURPOSE before too. This is a dirty play, and no way a player should plant his foot on the defender's landing. NO WAY.

chazzy
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM

You continue to amaze. It's a foul to enter a shooter's landing space, there is no way to bullshit around that fact. The rule was implemented to prevent contact and injuries JUST LIKE THIS ONE from happening

Kobr
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.miscupload.com/upload/52108766168953550952198.gif

jstern
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
If we are playing at the park...and somebody does exactly what Jones did to a homey. I'm knocking that dude out. I seen that many times before and there is always a throw down soon after if there is no apology. That was a dirty f*cking play and dude knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

There is also HISTORY that comes in play as well as Jones tweets right after.
So not only was there NO FOUL called but there was it was clear as day that was intentional. These are pro players who do this for a living. They KNOW what they are doing.

Dirty f*cking play.

I know you're angry, but it's good to have an open mind instead of just leaning to one side because of the anger.

Personally I don't like Jones because of the play where he pushed Kobe. But in this case, with the way Kobe had been playing in the clutch, the number one thing on Jones mind would be to try to stop Kobe, and got a little bit over aggressive. Why would he try to hurt him at that point in the game, when stopping Kobe from shooting would be the number one thing on his mind. Do you really think he would instead focus on putting his legs in and HOPING that Kobe would land on his foot after he took the shot?

A player is never permitted to move into the path of an opponent after the opponent has jumped into the air.

Didn't read the whole thing, but that one sounds like it's meant for a player who's moving forward. None the less I don't think a player should get under a jump shooter. Just that I don't think that bolded part applies in this case. I'm probably wrong, just that there should be a clearer written rule.

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Good argument? What good argument :facepalm . Jones has tripped Kobe on PURPOSE before too. This is a dirty play, and no way a player should plant his foot on the defender's landing. NO WAY.

I've done this myself where in trying to guard someone, I over-crowd and misjudge and found myself underneath them. I myself have acknowledged that it was reckless, and though it should not be done, in no way was my intention to hurt the opposing player.

Past incidents lend credence to the possibility that this was done to purposefully hurt Bryant... no disputing that, but it's a matter of opinion to say that this was certainly the case. More likely, Jones wanted to make the shot as awkward as possible for Bryant. The best that we can claim is that this was a reckless and dangerous move... and according to the NBA rule book, a foul.

bdreason
03-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Honestly it looked like he stepped under the shooter with some intent. One of the main reasons I don't jump much on my jumper in pickup games.

Rysio
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
http://www.miscupload.com/upload/52108766168953550952198.gif
lol at clowns even arguing this. mother****er took a long as 10 foot step just so kobe cant land on anything but his foot.

brandonislegend
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
By the responses in this thread I see half or more of the people that posted them have never touched a basketball in their life so it's fair they don't know what the hell they are talking about

chazzy
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
By the responses in this thread I see half or more of the people that posted them have never touched a basketball in their life so it's fair they don't know what the hell they are talking about
Especially the ones about the fadeaway itself. "Why is Kobe's leg out in front like dat??"

ortonsaw
03-14-2013, 03:15 PM
i dont feel bad for kobe at all since kobe himself is a very dirty player too

gengiskhan
03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Garbage removed

imnew09
03-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I've done this myself where in trying to guard someone, I over-crowd and misjudge and found myself underneath them. I myself have acknowledged that it was reckless, and though it should not be done, in no way was my intention to hurt the opposing player.

Past incidents lend credence to the possibility that this was done to purposefully hurt Bryant... no disputing that, but it's a matter of opinion to say that this was certainly the case. More likely, Jones wanted to make the shot as awkward as possible for Bryant. The best that we can claim is that this was a reckless and dangerous move... and according to the NBA rule book, a foul.

I'm not trying to offend you or nothing, I find you very knowledgeable and on point. But here we're talking about professional basketball players, and no way Jones should split his leg out after his initial jump. He jumped up to contest the shot and that was fine, but then he split his legs out into the shooter's landing space.

The gift Kobr posted clearly summarized Jones as a Kobe hater.

Dbrog
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not trying to offend you or nothing, I find you very knowledgeable and on point. But here we're talking about professional basketball players, and no way Jones should split his leg out after his initial jump. He jumped up to contest the shot and that was fine, but then he split his legs out into the shooter's landing space.

This is true although if you look at it from that top angle, Jones basically does that as a reaction to Kobe's leg which is about to kick him in the nuts :oldlol: . It seems unintentional from Jones especially since he already looked away after the ball was released. I've played defense like that before...just straight in the other dude's jersey. It's not my fault if he takes an off-balance fade away. However, I think it does look suspect since he plants his right leg first. You can easily change your momentum with that...really no point to stick that other leg out so far if you're able to plant your other foot.

schism206
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I agree Jones stepped in a bit more than he should, but Kobe still stuck his legs out in the same manner, a little more than he should. Maybe it was dirty, but I've seen a lot worse plays than that, like Dwade slipping his leg under Rondo and breaking his arm. If this same exact play happened to some scrub nobody would give a shit, or better yet, if it was Jones taking the shot/getting injured and Kobe was the one who was playing D, no one would give a shit... but since it's Kobe Bryant everyone's acting like it's the dirtiest play of all time, and him crying about it on Twitter is petty and ridiculous.

chazzy
03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
With 4.9 seconds remaining in the Atlanta Hawks' 96-92 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on March 13, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant attempted a jump shot over the Hawks' Dahntay Jones. After review at the league office, video replay confirmed that referees missed a foul call on Jones as he challenged Bryant's shot and did not give him the opportunity to land cleanly back on the floor. Bryant should have been granted two free throws.
http://www.nba.com/official/

longtime lurker
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Obvious dirty and dangerous play. It clearly states in the rule book that the offensive player must be allowed space to land. I don't know why idiots on here are arguing otherwise.

Kobr
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
With 4.9 seconds remaining in the Atlanta Hawks' 96-92 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on March 13, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant attempted a jump shot over the Hawks' Dahntay Jones. After review at the league office, video replay confirmed that referees missed a foul call on Jones as he challenged Bryant's shot and did not give him the opportunity to land cleanly back on the floor. Bryant should have been granted two free throws. http://www.nba.com/official/

There we go. The league has spoken. It was a missed foul. Whether Dahntay had malice or intent, that's up for discussion. But with their history, you have to be leaning towards yes.

longtime lurker
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
There we go. The league has spoken. It was a missed foul. Whether Dahntay had malice or intent, that's up for discussion. But with their history, you have to be leaning towards yes.

Intent sure, but malice no. The NBA is a big fraternity these guys aren't out there purposely trying to injure people. And even after the NBA admits to the blown call I guarantee they'll be posters on here still arguing that it was clean.

Jyap9675
03-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Far out, we had a chance to tie the game..

vegasbigshots
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
It looks intentional to me. It looks like he didn't even jump to defend... just slide underneath.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kRFYW3k-M

Here are some freeze frame. Foot is always planted.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/vegasbigshots/kob1_zps61e8c5cd.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/vegasbigshots/kob2_zps18b95eea.jpg

tmacattack33
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't know, i think jones had his arms up and was just trying to get as close as possible to the shot...because, you know, that's how you play defense when someone shoots.

And he didn't jump because he didn't want them to call a foul. So he just did the little "arms straight up" pose and kept walking a little closer.

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 06:28 PM

I'm not saying that Jones "should" have done what he did or that it was ok. I've said time and again, I think it was a reckless, dangerous play. What I am disputing is that while I believe he intended to invade Bryant's personal space, I don't automatically believe he intended to hurt him; it looks like he wanted to bother the shot and make Bryant uncomfortable as he slid underneath him. The problem I have with the play is that he invaded Bryant's personal space without care for Bryant's safety. Recklessness doesn't automatically indicate intent to injure.

Now don't get me wrong... given their past run ins, I wouldn't be surprised if he did intend to injure Bryant, but I think it's one thing to say for sure that he was being reckless and another thing entirely to say for sure that he set out to maliciously injure him.

MaxFly
03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Intent sure, but malice no. The NBA is a big fraternity these guys aren't out there purposely trying to injure people. And even after the NBA admits to the blown call I guarantee they'll be posters on here still arguing that it was clean.

Yeah, I don't think the intent was malicious either, but there are players out there who sometimes set out to hurt others. Jalen Rose has already copped to that.

OG LeeTSkeeT
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Either way I think Kobe should have made that because Dahntay did his move after the shot released, if anything it would have been a 3 point play otherwise the foul should have been called and Kobe would have gotten the chance to tie the game if he was able to shoot free throws.

La Frescobaldi
03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
about 40 free throws and then other team has to forfeit the season + pay like $40,000,000 in fines.
it's crazy how much the refs protect durant. I'd like to see OKC play under the same rules as the rest of the NBA.

AussieG
03-15-2013, 12:09 AM
The funny thing for me.. was as soon as I saw the headline that Kobe was injured.. I knew there'd be this being thing about whether it was on purpose or not.

I didn't even know that someone had his foot underneath.. but I knew there'd be some sort of BS.

Kobe even said in the post game interview that he's pissed he has to wait for 12 months for revenge.

He also said it's the worst ankle sprain he's ever had.. but I'd be surprised if he misses more than a game or two.

9erempiree
03-15-2013, 04:47 AM
lol. Whatever. I'm hoping they win so I'm on your side.

I just think if the offense flows more smoothly, it's going to be because Kobe's shots are distributed. He's a fantastic player but I don't think the balance with this team has been right since the all star break. Without those 2 crazy comeback wins, their record would be considerably less impressive. They lost some bad/close games earlier in the season, so I'm not taking anything away from their recent success. But they're not going to win in the playoffs with Kobe taking more than 18-24 shots. This could be a blessing in disguise. If the team is rolling with Pau integrated when Kobe returns, he will have no choice but to assimilate to some degree. It's going to be interesting to watch. Then again, maybe they'll look terrible. Btw, if Kobe coaches and they lose em all, that's also because of how great Kobe is right? Just making sure..

We all know Kobe will be out and probably for the remainder of the season. I know he can help this team get into the playoffs.

If he has to coach the team then so be it.

If he has to rest his ankle then I'm cool with it.

Follow me on Twitter.......9erempiree@9erempiree

elementally morale
03-15-2013, 05:33 AM
It is rare that great players become good coaches. Bird is the last one I can remember and he is an exception to the rule, sort of.

Great players usually aren't good choices to become coaches for several reasons. One is, they were just too good and they have to coach a team full of not that great individuals. It's just hard for them to get their heads around the fact that their players simly cannot execute the way they 'should' according to them. Another point is, players on the averahe lack the passion compared to their coaches and it is hard to tolerate.

But the biggest reason is this: Great players were on the court most of the time, and especially sirong the time it mattered most. And it doesn't matter how good you are, if you are inside a sotuation you just don't experience and thus cannot learn what it looks like from the outside. And due to the fact that you have to coach from the sidelines and have to understand the team as a whole and not just your best players, a coach that was a decent but not great player usually is a better choice as coach.

Kobe would be a terrible coach.

Rolando
03-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Speaking of Bird as Coach:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/2307/69529823.gif