PDA

View Full Version : "No rebounds, no rings." - Pat Riley

mrpibb
03-18-2013, 01:36 AM
As we all know, the Heat are 30th in rebounding, and this is a quote from their team president. What do you guys think?

This is NOT a hate thread.

TheBigVeto
03-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Rebounding and defense are overrated.

plowking
03-18-2013, 01:49 AM
After the first round of the playoffs last season, the Heat outrebounded every team they face in all but one game. It was against the Pacers.

Clifton
03-18-2013, 01:49 AM
In a league with no good big men, you can win a ring without it. No Bynum, they probably won't run into Howard. And even Howard and Bynum are far from great.

PJR
03-18-2013, 01:53 AM
This may have been true twenty years ago, but the times have changed. It's a pick and roll league now.

And total rebounds is a garbage stat. It's doesn't account for pace or style of play. Rebounding differential is what you need to look at. Miami ranks 20th, right behind San Antonio who is 19th.

Mr. Jabbar
03-18-2013, 02:09 AM
for the heat it goes: "No refs, no rings."

longtime lurker
03-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Well considering all their competition in the East has suffered major injuries rebounding probably won't matter.

fpliii
03-18-2013, 02:21 AM
"At the age of 14, I discovered the secret: 'pick the one thing you do best and work at it.' So while every other kid was trying to be the next Iceman, I was hitting the boards. Because I figure, if you ain't got the ball, you can't shoot the ball." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zSdN5ceXU)

iamgine
03-18-2013, 02:23 AM
Miami's opponents on average have about 1-2 more shot attempts than them. Miami's defense is actually average, or just very slightly better than.

The reason Miami Heat has been so successful is because they consistently score much more efficiently than their opponents.

Alan Ogg
03-18-2013, 02:28 AM
Well they were out-rebounded Sunday by 25(!) and ended up winning by 17 points. There are many ways to win. Certainly limiting your opponents' possessions and increasing your own would certainly help though.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-18-2013, 02:42 AM
Their rebounding differential is not that bad. plus they play a more traditional lineup now with haslem starting in place of battier

Ancient Legend
03-18-2013, 02:49 AM
If they had someone like Vucevic or Asik, their point differential would be like 15-17 pts, instead of the current 7. The games are only marginally close because of of their opponent's offensive rebounding.

bdreason
03-18-2013, 03:16 AM
NBA rule changes have all but eliminated the need for quality bigmen. The day they created a rule making it illegal to post up for 5 seconds, I knew the game had changed forever. It's sad really.

SacJB Shady
03-18-2013, 03:17 AM
Why are the Heat 30th in boards? Lebron, Bosh, Haslem, and Wade can rebound well, right?

Mrofir
03-18-2013, 03:17 AM
As I have explained before, doesn't matter what the Heat do, they will win the championship.

Even if the other team scores more than Miami, the Heat will still win the game. That's how good they are this year.

SacJB Shady
03-18-2013, 03:18 AM
The Heat have not lost since the emergence of Birdman. Just saying. The guy was an epic stair climber in Denver.

comerb
03-18-2013, 03:21 AM
NBA rule changes have all but eliminated the need for quality bigmen. The day they created a rule making it illegal to post up for 5 seconds, I knew the game had changed forever. It's sad really.

Is it? Why? I've never much cared for bigs or the effect they have on the game, and genuinely think the game is better off moving away from them.

All Net
03-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Maybe a fair question if they weren't defending champions..

bdreason
03-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Is it? Why? I've never much cared for bigs or the effect they have on the game, and genuinely think the game is better off moving away from them.

I guess it's personal preference. I was raised on 90's basketball, when the sport was filled with quality post players, and teams played a far more balanced brand of basketball. I also believe that Basketball should have less rules, not more. Let teams decide how they want to play, as opposed to forcing teams to play a specific style of basketball to have success.

A rule that doesn't allow a player to post up for 5 seconds is completely ridiculous in my opinion. There is a 24 second shot clock, and teams should be able to do whatever they want with it.

fpliii
03-18-2013, 03:31 AM

:applause:

SavageMode
03-18-2013, 03:32 AM
They don't need to rebound when their scoring efficiency is so high, unlike the Lakers with Kobrick and having his team to rebound his Koclonks.

Jax
03-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Last season.
/thread.

comerb
03-18-2013, 03:42 AM
The 30th in rebounding statistic is misleading. Their differential is only -1.7(ranked 22nd). They actually out rebound opposing teams on the defensive glass, and they hold opposing teams to the 6th lowest total rebounds in the league.

It's a mixture of a extremely efficient offense and a defense that creates a lot of turnovers and holds opponents to poor shooting percentages. Their low pace of play is also a big factor skewing the numbers. The truth is, they are more middle of the road as a rebounding team than dead last.

DuMa
03-18-2013, 03:47 AM
They often compensate by not turning it over more than the opposition, shooting better, shooting and making more 3s, and of course defending amongst the best in the league

comerb
03-18-2013, 03:55 AM
I guess it's personal preference. I was raised on 90's basketball, when the sport was filled with quality post players, and teams played a far more balanced brand of basketball. I also believe that Basketball should have less rules, not more. Let teams decide how they want to play, as opposed to forcing teams to play a specific style of basketball to have success.

A rule that doesn't allow a player to post up for 5 seconds is completely ridiculous in my opinion. There is a 24 second shot clock, and teams should be able to do whatever they want with it.

I was too, I just didn't care for it. I think rules are good when they eliminate things like Chuck or Shaq using their assets to back a guy all the way under their own rims. That wasn't fun to watch. i did like watching Hakeem, and I think a post player like him still has a place in this league.

Round Mound
03-18-2013, 04:14 AM

True

eurobum
03-18-2013, 06:49 AM

Also what killed Mark Jackson's career not being able to post up starting from his own backcourt for half the possession.

b1imtf
03-18-2013, 10:31 AM
The Heat have not lost since the emergence of Birdman. Just saying. The guy was an epic stair climber in Denver.
Stfu

LikeABosh
03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
22 game win streak and defending champs. :pimp:

lebeast666
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
for the heat it goes: "No refs, no rings."

"No Chuckbe, no losses"

2-0

Haymaker
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Heat's defense and offense is so good they don't need to dominate the boards to win.

Whoah10115
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
In a league with no good big men, you can win a ring without it. No Bynum, they probably won't run into Howard. And even Howard and Bynum are far from great.

Big men or not, the other teams are not only better rebounding teams, but they're outrebounding the team per game...and by a substantial enough margin.

With that said...I've changed my mind on this team...at this point, they're such a great team. Rebounding is an issue right now, but it's not an issue if Spoelstra does what I think he should do and that's start Anderson. Bosh is playing well but his rebounding is inexcusable and he's having his worst season since his rookie year. That rebounding is under 7 and that's just not gonna work. The lack of good big men is exaggerated and I think it only makes sense to start Birdman and give Anthony some minutes behind him (tho he won't help rebounding). Bosh is playing the same way on offense, C or PF. It's not even like Garnett who moved over to the 5 and started playing offense like a 4, in the post (last year, anyway). I think that's the only weakness they have and it's not one if they start Anderson.

chips93
03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
After the first round of the playoffs last season, the Heat outrebounded every team they face in all but one game. It was against the Pacers.

they were 10th in defensive rebounding rate last year, and 21st this year.

its not the same thing.

Miami's opponents on average have about 1-2 more shot attempts than them. Miami's defense is actually average, or just very slightly better than.

The reason Miami Heat has been so successful is because they consistently score much more efficiently than their opponents.

they have been steadily improving on defense all year, they are at 10th atm, after a shitty start