PDA

View Full Version : Question about Battier's clutch block

MMM
03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/4588655/battier-block-o.gif

First, sorry about the low quality Gif but I'm concerned about this particular call. Today the refs found it inconclusive but I would really hate to lose possession on this type of play due to replay.

For the first 46 mins of a game this would be Boston ball easily and nobody would really question it. So, why does that change down the stretch. Yes the ball might of technically went off Green but is it not Battier that initiated that???

:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

A somewhat similar play I've seen a few times where the player loses the ball because the defender's momentum causes the offensive player to touch the ball last. Yet the Refs have rewarded the possession to the defense.

Can someone clear up some of the confusion I have over some of these plays???

ProfessorMurder
03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Can't answer your question, but do we really need f*cking 5 minutes of reviews 4 different times? Play basketball.

ripthekik
03-18-2013, 11:38 PM
he should have took 1 step into battier n the basket, then he would get the foul call

LikeABosh

First, sorry about the low quality Gif but I'm concerned about this particular call. Today the refs found it inconclusive but I would really hate to lose possession on this type of play due to replay.

For the first 46 mins of a game this would be Boston ball easily and nobody would really question it. So, why does that change down the stretch. Yes the ball might of technically went off Green but is it not Battier that initiated that???

A somewhat similar play I've seen a few times where the player loses the ball because the defender's momentum causes the offensive player to touch the ball last. Yet the Refs have rewarded the possession to the defense.

What?

imnew09
home court advantage. Miami won, so get over it.

G-train
03-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Every call is unique, and that was worth a review given how the play unfolded. He blocked it down into his arm, this is often call out of bounds on the offensive player.

MMM
03-18-2013, 11:42 PM
home court advantage. Miami won, so get over it.

I am over it, do you see me discrediting the heat or anything.

Just concerned that a call would go one way for 46 mins and be different down the stretch. I have never seen those block plays go in favor of the defense unless it is off the leg or something.

NumberSix
03-18-2013, 11:43 PM

I really don't understand what you're asking.

MMM
03-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Every call is unique, and that was worth a review given how the play unfolded. He blocked it down into his arm, this is often call out of bounds on the offensive player.

really???
I've never really seen it called that way.

NumberSix
03-18-2013, 11:45 PM
I am over it, do you see me discrediting the heat or anything.

Just concerned that a call would go one way for 46 mins and be different down the stretch. I have never seen those block plays go in favor of the defense unless it is off the leg or something.
You do understand that review rules are different at the end of the game, right?

BlackWhiteGreen
03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I really don't understand what you're asking.

He's saying, why do't they review every call and not just the ones in the last 2 minutes as every call is equally important in potential points.

NumberSix
03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
really???
I've never really seen it called that way.
I really can't tell if you're being serious or trolling.

If you're being sincere, the reason you don't see it often is that it's rare that a guy will block a shot, then the ball bounces off the guy who got blocked then bounces out of bounds.

MMM
03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
He's saying, why do't they review every call and not just the ones in the last 2 minutes as every call is equally important in potential points.

no i'm not suggesting that

The above play is usually an easy call for the Refs in the first 46 mins so what made it questionable. There are many times that play happens and there is no argument from anyone about the decision.

Clifton
03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm against instant replay, in every single instance. Do away with it altogether.

It's somewhat defensible in football, because that's a stop-and-go sport anyway. (I've heard that the actual action of a football game can be watched start to finished in like five minutes with all the dead time edited out.) But not fluid sports like basketball and soccer. The game is officiated by human refs. That's part of the game.

MMM
03-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I really can't tell if you're being serious or trolling.

If you're being sincere, the reason you don't see it often is that it's rare that a guy will block a shot, then the ball bounces off the guy who got blocked then bounces out of bounds.

that is not what I was suggesting and even pointed out that they call it out off the offensive player when it is deflected off his leg in a previous post.

NumberSix
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
no i'm not suggesting that

The above play is usually an easy call for the Refs in the first 46 mins so what made it questionable. There are many times that play happens and there is no argument from anyone about the decision.
Because its in the rules. It's not reviewable unless its at the end of the game. You can't argue a decision that isn't allowed to be reviewed.

MMM
03-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Because its in the rules. It's not reviewable unless its at the end of the game. You can't argue a decision that isn't allowed to be reviewed.

My issues is not the review what I'm confused about is the actual rule. For example when the momentum of a defender causes the offensive player to lose the ball. Is that play called differently than the last 2 mins. Is the last 2 mins just about who touches the ball last or what actually caused that????

La Frescobaldi
03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Can't answer your question, but do we really need f*cking 5 minutes of reviews 4 different times? Play basketball.

NBA should go to the flag throw rules you get with the NFL.

2, or even 3 red flags per half, play must be reviewed at coach's request.

If the call gets upheld, the play stands, and you lose a timeout.

If the call gets reversed, you get the ball under your own basket (i.e., you must travel the full court in order to score).

Even if all 12 flags get thrown, that's only 12 minutes which not only isn't all that long, but it would generate more tv ad revenue.

I'm guessing most games have less than 3 questionable calls and if you really do have both coaches flinging rags everywhere, your referee team probably needs its @ss kicked Royal.

And it would straighten up/get fired some of the blatant loser refs that are in the League.

LBJFTW
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
My issues is not the review what I'm confused about is the actual rule. For example when the momentum of a defender causes the offensive player to lose the ball. Is that play called differently than the last 2 mins. Is the last 2 mins just about who touches the ball last or what actually caused that????

No, it's called the same at the time of the call the only difference is that the call may be changed due to the review. Momentum doesn't matter, it's who touched the ball last before it went out, period.

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:17 AM
No, it's called the same at the time of the call the only difference is that the call may be changed due to the review. Momentum doesn't matter, it's who touched the ball last before it went out, period.

Well I've see it called completely differently prior the review. When the ball gets knocked out of the players hands yet he has the last touch, usually his team does not lose possession.

NumberSix
03-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Anytime the ball goes out of bounds, it's ALWAYS about who touched it last. Do you seriously not know that?

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Anytime the ball goes out of bounds, it's ALWAYS about who touched it last. Do you seriously not know that?

Just going by what I've seen.

There are plays where it is clearly last touched by a player but his teams maintains possession because it was the opposing player that caused him to touch it last.

Simple Jack
03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm against instant replay, in every single instance. Do away with it altogether.

It's somewhat defensible in football, because that's a stop-and-go sport anyway. (I've heard that the actual action of a football game can be watched start to finished in like five minutes with all the dead time edited out.) But not fluid sports like basketball and soccer. The game is officiated by human refs. That's part of the game.

So you're saying you want human error which can wrongfully **** over a team to be the norm? Why wouldn't you want fairness when such high stakes are on the line? I'll never understand this line of reasoning.

G-train
03-19-2013, 12:26 AM

There are plays where it is clearly last touched by a player but his teams maintains possession because it was the opposing player that caused him to touch it last.

When?

You can throw the ball off a defender deliberately and it's your ball.

On blocks, sometimes its basically simultaneous and that goes to the blockee.

Other times the ball hits the offensive player clearly and it goes to the blocker.

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:29 AM
When?

You can throw the ball off a defender deliberately and it's your ball.

On blocks, sometimes its basically simultaneous and that goes to the blockee.

Other times the ball hits the offensive player clearly and it goes to the blocker.

an example could be a rebound where it gets knocked out of your hand but the other player didn't touch ball

NumberSix
03-19-2013, 12:29 AM

Are you talking about a foul? There's no rule whatsoever about causing someone to touch it last. Have you never seen a play where a guy purposely throws the ball off the other player when it's going out of bounds to maintain possession? It's pretty common.

NumberSix
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
an example could be a rebound where it gets knocked out of your hand but the other player didn't touch ball
You talking about a loose ball foul? That's not an out of bounds. It's just a foul.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
NBA should go to the flag throw rules you get with the NFL.

2, or even 3 red flags per half, play must be reviewed at coach's request.

If the call gets upheld, the play stands, and you lose a timeout.

If the call gets reversed, you get the ball under your own basket (i.e., you must travel the full court in order to score).

Even if all 12 flags get thrown, that's only 12 minutes which not only isn't all that long, but it would generate more tv ad revenue.

I'm guessing most games have less than 3 questionable calls and if you really do have both coaches flinging rags everywhere, your referee team probably needs its @ss kicked Royal.

And it would straighten up/get fired some of the blatant loser refs that are in the League.
how about 1 flag per half and if the coach is correct, he gets his flag back? You can't give an assssload of flags out because disrupting a nba game is much different than throwing a flag in the nfl.

jdm_dc_fan
03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Well I've see it called completely differently prior the review. When the ball gets knocked out of the players hands yet he has the last touch, usually his team does not lose possession.
I'm a Boston fan and I see you on realgm.com. You are a good poster but this question by you perplexes me. Green was the last to touch it. But other instances where the ball goes out of bounce almost every time it's the defender who knocks it out with the momentum from his hand.

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
You talking about a loose ball foul? That's not an out of bounds. It's just a foul.

except they don't call the foul and just award possession to the the player that lost the ball. Yet down the stretch if they don't call the foul than I don't see why the opposing team should be rewarded with possession when it is not called in that manner the majority of the game.

NumberSix
03-19-2013, 12:37 AM
except they don't call the foul and just award possession to the the player that lost the ball. Yet down the stretch if they don't call the foul than I don't see why the opposing team should be rewarded with possession when it is not called in that manner the majority of the game.
Ok, I'm pretty sure you're just trolling.

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
damn, didn't want to seem like I was trolling. I'm seriously confused :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

trust me I'm not the trolling type

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
frustrating that nobody knows
WTF I'm talking about, lol

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Are you talking about a foul?

i don't think it is a foul if the hand is part of the ball but the offensive player is technically the last player to touch it. That is what I'm confused about.

ballup
03-19-2013, 12:49 AM
NBA refs don't know anything about consistency. You should know that by now.

MMM
03-19-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm a Boston fan and I see you on realgm.com. You are a good poster but this question by you perplexes me. Green was the last to touch it. But other instances where the ball goes out of bounce almost every time it's the defender who knocks it out with the momentum from his hand.

It looked inconclusive on one replay and off Green on the rest. But, I'm just trying to clarify the out of bound rulings. The same exact play 10 times out of 10 gets called in favour of Green. When it gets called in favour of the defender is when it is deflected off their leg which did not happen in this particular play.

Jasper
03-19-2013, 02:02 AM
MMM = knows bball

MMM = doesn't know a great play.

macmac
03-19-2013, 02:20 AM
I know what MMM is talking about. Especially when the player gets blocked and it's pretty much a loose ball situation but the momentum of the offensive player is what pushes the ball out of bounds. During the game, the offense will always keep possession in that instance. However, if you put frame by frame under the microscope, you might notice that it's the offensive player that touched it last. However, they will never call it that way, because a) it's too fast for the human eye to distinguish, and b) it's the defensive player that Initiated the turnover and therefore it's just assumed that he touched it last.

No way during the game, does that ball ever go Miamis way, however based on that instant replay it could have easily been the case

Mrofir
03-19-2013, 02:29 AM
To answer OP question

I believe the rule is

If the ball goes out of bounds, the player who last touched the ball is determined, and the ball is awarded to the other team.

ILLsmak
03-19-2013, 02:32 AM

See, I disagree with you. I think that would be Heat ball easily and the only reason they gave it back to Boston is they knew that would be killing their chance to win. It looked like it went off Green to me.

Unfort, momentum doesn't matter. It is who touches the ball last before it goes out of bounds.

Edit: From what I saw, it almost looks like he hit it with his fingertips after his elbow, too. But not sure. They played the replay like 20 times, tho.

-Smak

NumberSix
03-19-2013, 03:59 AM
When the ball goes out of bounds, whoever touched it last, the other team gets the ball. End of story. There are no exceptions.... ever. If you ever see differently, the refs just got the call wrong.

MMM
03-19-2013, 04:38 AM
When the ball goes out of bounds, whoever touched it last, the other team gets the ball. End of story. There are no exceptions.... ever. If you ever see differently, the refs just got the call wrong.

I can't recall the exact game(national TV game), I'm thinking the Lakers or Bulls were involved and they did not determined it by last touch but made an "exception" because the defender forced it out while the offensive player was the last touch. I'm desperately trying to remember the game or find the footage so I don't come off as some raving lunatic.

jdm_dc_fan
03-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Idk to me it was 100% off of green. you can tell by the ball rotation interrupted when green tried reaching for it at the end. Im a celtic and green fan too. if this play were in the 3rd quarter it would have been boston ball. But since it was under the 2 min mark they had to review it. refer back to my first sentence.

Living Being
03-19-2013, 06:43 AM
The fact that he tried to shoot it after being blocked makes it obvious that it came out of his hands.

Other times, it's the difference between the ball being slapped out of the shooter's hands versus being rolled off their hands. The refs can't make that call very well during live action.

fefe
03-19-2013, 09:10 AM
This should have been Miami's ball easily. Battier was tapping the ball the opposit direction that it went out...

It should never matter who initated, the only thing that should matter is who touched it last.
It's pretty clear to ma that Green touvhed it last.

It doesn't matter which quarter. If this was the very firs play of the game, the only thing that matters on out of bounds plays should be who touched it last.

Chizdog
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Even Hellen Keller would call Miami ball.

InfiniteBaskets
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Sometimes a ref might call out of bounds if a guy goes up for a rebound, is hacked by the other team, and as a result looses control of the ball out of bounds.

The ref will call out of bounds on the opposing team rather than a foul at times. I imagine they do this to keep fouls low on a star in foul trouble and keep the pace going. Not technically the "right" call, but refs are never consistent.

Another example is boxing out during foul shots. Big men that line up in the key step inside the key before the ball is released from the shooters hand ALL THE TIME. Perimeter players step inside the arc ALL THE TIME as well. I've never ever seen a perimeter player get called for stepping inside the arc, and the calls on lane violations are extremely inconsistent.

That doesn't change the actual rules though. Just because the refs make wrong calls every now and then doesn't mean we fault them when they make the right call. In this case, it was off of Green but the video evidence wasn't conclusive enough and that's okay.

MMM
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Idk to me it was 100% off of green. you can tell by the ball rotation interrupted when green tried reaching for it at the end. Im a celtic and green fan too. if this play were in the 3rd quarter it would have been boston ball. But since it was under the 2 min mark they had to review it. refer back to my first sentence.

I think it was off green too but how do they determine it in live action. The replay in slow motion looks a bit inconclusive so I can only imagine it is impossible to determine in live action who touched it last.

Theoo
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
yes ithink it was off green but when i watch to these replay , its is not clear that the ball touch to hes arm when battier was fall back , i think it was good move to make it boston ball. i was thinking to this even when i didnt not know that hea twill win so im not bias

nashwade
03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
the play looked similar to as if Battier took the ball for a fraction of the second and threw it off Green's arm to go out of bounds

Heat ball in that case

MMM
03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
This should have been Miami's ball easily. Battier was tapping the ball the opposit direction that it went out...

It should never matter who initated, the only thing that should matter is who touched it last.
It's pretty clear to ma that Green touvhed it last.

It doesn't matter which quarter. If this was the very firs play of the game, the only thing that matters on out of bounds plays should be who touched it last.

From what I've seen, the play we are talking about 10 times out of 10 goes in favour of Boston in the first 46 mins, especially if it doesn't deflect off a lower part of Green's body. Am I mistaken about that?????

So, how can the same play result in different out comes at different moments of the game. Doesn't anyone else find that a bit troubling???

MMM
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Sometimes a ref might call out of bounds if a guy goes up for a rebound, is hacked by the other team, and as a result looses control of the ball out of bounds.

The ref will call out of bounds on the opposing team rather than a foul at times. I imagine they do this to keep fouls low on a star in foul trouble and keep the pace going. Not technically the "right" call, but refs are never consistent.

Another example is boxing out during foul shots. Big men that line up in the key step inside the key before the ball is released from the shooters hand ALL THE TIME. Perimeter players step inside the arc ALL THE TIME as well. I've never ever seen a perimeter player get called for stepping inside the arc, and the calls on lane violations are extremely inconsistent.

That doesn't change the actual rules though. Just because the refs make wrong calls every now and then doesn't mean we fault them when they make the right call. In this case, it was off of Green but the video evidence wasn't conclusive enough and that's okay.

I'm wondering more about the refs interpretation of the rules(in live action vs. reviews) than the actual rule. Last night Bulls/Nuggets could also be discussed in how they interpreted the goal-tending calls. Seems, like the previous plays to Noah's goaltends were also goaltends but were not reviewed.

plowking
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
From what I've seen, the play we are talking about 10 times out of 10 goes in favour of Boston in the first 46 mins, especially if it doesn't deflect off a lower part of Green's body. Am I mistaken about that?????

So, how can the same play result in different out comes at different moments of the game. Doesn't anyone else find that a bit troubling???

Maybe they thought Green tapped it again, and were looking at that?

I'm a Heat fan, but I thought it was clearly Boston ball. If you want to get technical about it, it should be Heat ball since it was off Green, but its never called that way, and you can't expect the refs to see it like that in real time.

MMM
03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4589069/goaltending-o.gif

By rule this should be called goaltending each and every time. Yet during live action it is rarely called due to how the refs interpret the goaltending rules(the ball is falling off the rim). So, if these plays go under review under 2 mins shouldn't the interpretation of the rule be the same???

Or since the ball is still technically over the cylinder is it a goaltend???

HEAT111
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm wondering more about the refs interpretation of the rules(in live action vs. reviews) than the actual rule. Last night Bulls/Nuggets could also be discussed in how they interpreted the goal-tending calls. Seems, like the previous plays to Noah's goaltends were also goaltends but were not reviewed.

I hate the goaltending rule. The officials left a statement about it which was really vague about the call. About the Battier block. He initially did block it out of bounds but few mini seconds at the time the ball did hit his elbow so it could've been Heat ball. To be honest, with all of these rules soon the basketball players wouldn't be allow to dribble the ball by the halfcourt. The NBA needs to fix the contradiction calls.

MMM
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Maybe they thought Green tapped it again, and were looking at that?

I'm a Heat fan, but I thought it was clearly Boston ball. If you want to get technical about it, it should be Heat ball since it was off Green, but its never called that way, and you can't expect the refs to see it like that in real time.

I'm just worried about a team getting screwed in the playoffs on one of these calls seems like there can be a potential train wreck. If it is about getting the call right, then can they call a foul if the player that lost the ball was fouled. Odom in the 2010 finals is an example. They gave the ball to Boston but Odom lost the ball because he was clearly fouled. If the review is there to get the call right than why can't that aspect of it be changed???

HiphopRelated
03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
The review is to get the out of bounds call right since it deals with possession, the foul is a separate call, no need to butterfly effect a simple process, because then how far back do you go?

Did he travel before he attempted the shot he was fouled on before the ball went out of bounds?

And I don't buy for a minute that you don't understand an out of bounds call.

DuMa
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
That ball was off Green. Refs got lucky Heat won that game otherwise Heat would be complaining to no end and this thread would have 18 pages by now. DONT SCREW THIS SHIT UP AGAIN in the playoffs REFS

MMM
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
The review is to get the out of bounds call right since it deals with possession, the foul is a separate call, no need to butterfly effect a simple process, because then how far back do you go?

Did he travel before he attempted the shot he was fouled on before the ball went out of bounds?

And I don't buy for a minute that you don't understand an out of bounds call.

It is not the rule that i don't understand it is the interpretation of the rule that is different for the first 46 mins compared to the review. If it is hard to tell in slow mo than how do they determine who it went off in live action???

MMM
03-19-2013, 08:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/sect/podcastmp3/NBA/PDF/2012-13_NBA_Rule_Book.pdf

Rule #8 section 2

c. The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch it before it goes out,
provided it is out-of-bounds because of touching something other than a player. If the ball is
out-of-bounds because of touching a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player
caused it to go out. If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the
hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball
will retain possession

So in the last 2 mins is this what they go by or just last touch???
because I've seen them call it last touch when the rule book suggests a different interpretation.

tmacattack33
03-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Well they only have replay in the last 2 minutes.

And that is fine...because nobody is going to put up with stopping play for 2 minutes every time there is a questionable out of bounds call throughout the whole game.

MMM
03-20-2013, 02:08 AM
http://www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/sect/podcastmp3/NBA/PDF/2012-13_NBA_Rule_Book.pdf

Rule #8 section 2

because I've seen them call it last touch when the rule book suggests a different interpretation.

so are we going to ignore the rule book for all the people who thought I was trolling/making shit up???

Myth
03-20-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm not sure what the confusion is. It is simply a question of who the ball touched last. Earlier in the game it may be harder to see in live time who it went out on and they may give the benefit of the doubt that the blocker touched it last, while in the end they have replay so they can get more clarity. It is that simple.

MMM
03-20-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure what the confusion is. It is simply a question of who the ball touched last. Earlier in the game it may be harder to see in live time who it went out on and they may give the benefit of the doubt that the blocker touched it last, while in the end they have replay so they can get more clarity. It is that simple.

ok but how do they ignore this rule when they are reviewing???
shouldn't this be kept in mind during the review process

If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the
hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball
will retain possession

Levity
03-20-2013, 02:48 AM

Rule #8 section 2

if the defender hitting the hand of the ball handler is indeed the reason the ball went out of bounds, theyll call that 100% of the time, even during instant replays. Otherwise it would have been a foul.

the block in the OP is different. that was hand on ball contact. i didnt see the game, so i dont know who the ball was awarded to, but it very well looks like it could have been a jump ball, as well. Refs call that quick as hell these days.

MMM
03-20-2013, 02:52 AM
if the defender hitting the hand of the ball handler is indeed the reason the ball went out of bounds, theyll call that 100% of the time, even during instant replays. Otherwise it would have been a foul.

the block in the OP is different. that was hand on ball contact. i didnt see the game, so i dont know who the ball was awarded to, but it very well looks like it could have been a jump ball, as well. Refs call that quick as hell these days.

So why is it that this rule is never mentioned during the reviews and they seemed to always be about last touch. Just look at all the guys in this thread who kept repeating last touch while not understanding the rule.

Levity
03-20-2013, 02:58 AM
So why is it that this rule is never mentioned during the reviews and they seemed to always be about last touch. Just look at all the guys in this thread who kept repeating last touch while not understanding the rule.

im sure it's mentioned if the play in question has to do with the defender hitting the ball handlers hand. If not, i dont see why it would be brought up.

A lot of the instant replays i see in the last two minutes are indeed "last touch" scenarios. but thats because the play that led to the review was similar in fashion to the gif in the OP. When its the defenders hand hitting the ball (and not the offensive players hand) that causes the offensive player to lose the ball out of bounds, the possession should ideally always be rewarded to the team that did not touch it last. plain and simple. of course, theres gonna be missed calls, but when they have the opportunity to review it, theyll always go by who touched it last.

Myth
03-20-2013, 03:04 AM

Because Battier didn't hit his hand. If he did, then we would be having a different discussion. Since he hit the ball, it is up to the refs to figure out who touched it last. They call the jump ball if they have no idea at all (usually if they didn't see it at all). If they have a hunch of what they saw, they call it, and if in the final 2 minutes then they go to the review as well. To over turn the call, they have to have conclusive evidence, which it was difficult to see who touched it last in the replay. They also cannot call a jump ball after the replay, because that would suggest that their decision was inconclusive and thus no changes to the original call can be made.

MMM
05-14-2014, 01:28 AM
bump