PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you guys played against an NBA player?

tgan3
03-22-2013, 02:50 AM
How was it like, did he dominate you or were you able to hang with him?

SAKOTXA
03-22-2013, 03:02 AM
I played against two potential NBA players if that counts, lol. Larry Drew Jr. and Victor Rudd.

LD was one of the quickest players i've ever guarded in my entire life, and Victor Rudd was just flat out long. I did pretty decent against both of them, though.

Lebron23
03-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Not yet but I played againts PBA Player and Super Rookie Calvin Abueva last January. . I played againts some former PBA Players, and current PBA D-league players.

http://www.slamonlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/102812_pba-102812-alaska-ginebra-pvp-18.jpg

http://www.pba-online.net/profile/Calvin-Abueva/485/

dannysc305
03-22-2013, 03:24 AM
I beat MJ in a best 2 out of 3 back in '87 :pimp:

Myth
03-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Never while they were in the NBA (only before and after their careers) and no huge names. The biggest name I played against was Salim Stoudamire back in high school.

elementally morale
03-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Yes. The only Hungarian that has ever made it to the NBA, Kornel David, a bench player on the Bulls was my teammate earlier (when we were both 18-19) at Budapesti Honved. Well, he was pretty good but I played PG-SG and he was a PF-C at the time (more likely to play center in Hungary), so we didn't play much 'against' one another even at practice. Yes, he was good. Back then, I wasn't as bad as I'm now either. :oldlol:

9erempiree
03-22-2013, 05:06 AM
When they were at Stanford. Pick up game and we put them on opposite teams. You can tell they are NBA level. Good dudes and very humble.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2008/sioncampus/03/05/quick.slants/p1_stanford.jpg

Mamba
03-22-2013, 05:43 AM
one of the guys that posted on here a couple years ago played up against steve nash at the rucker, even posted pics. he said he couldn't get close to the ball, and nash finished him 21-18 giving him an 18 point head start hahaha.

i wish i could find the thread.

Kovach
03-22-2013, 05:52 AM
Yes. The only Hungarian that has ever made it to the NBA, Kornel David, a bench player on the Bulls was my teammate earlier (when we were both 18-19) at Budapesti Honved. Well, he was pretty good but I played PG-SG and he was a PF-C at the time (more likely to play center in Hungary), so we didn't play much 'against' one another even at practice. Yes, he was good. Back then, I wasn't as bad as I'm now either. :oldlol:
Oh cool, do you happen to follow local basketball? I'm wondering how Miljan Rakic is doing over there now playing for Jaszberenyi, he is a childhood friend of mine. :)

Mr Exlax
03-22-2013, 06:51 AM
I played against Rashard Lewis when I was a sophomore and he was a senior. I managed to score a couple buckets and I didn't get dunked on too hard lol. Then I played against Joe Stevens in a pick up game some years ago. It was eye opening because he didn't last long in the NBA and I had no chance against him. He played in sweats with headphones on. Didn't break a sweat and scored about 10 out of his team's 15 points. He was so strong. That's what blew me away.

PK3434
03-22-2013, 06:59 AM
I played a few in aau ball. I remember Telfair and Villanueva were on the same team in New York. Played with against others on the proam..Ryan Gomes a few times.

CeltsGarlic
03-22-2013, 07:11 AM

Dude was a beast for Zalgiris Kaunas. One of my favorite players ever.
Very skilled.

Rake2204
03-22-2013, 08:58 AM
I played against Drew Neitzel in high school, who'd eventually run point at Michigan State and had a cup of tea on some NBA summer league squads (Timberwolves). Greg Jennings (NFL) played within the same AAU team program as me, but one grade level higher, so I'm guessing we must have scrimmaged against each other at some point?

Also, my brother tells me Charlie Bell has been frequenting the gym I play at in the summer. My brother tells me the story we've all heard about pro ball players before - Bell doesn't go completely 100% but it's clear to everyone he could dominate if he wanted to. Also, like I imagined, he said his skill is not so much about all the flashy, crazy plays he makes. It's just he's incredibly fundamentally sound and the normal things he does are very quick and perfect... except for his J. My brother says his J has been broken.

Bro was also kind of pumped because he hit a jumper over Bell once and took him into the paint and finished over him another time. Even if a guy's recently retired, I'd take the notch of being able to say I scored on an NBA player.

Kblaze8855
03-22-2013, 09:04 AM
4...but only 2 while they were NBA level. Shammond Williams and Merl Code who I think was on the Nuggets for a moment then in the Dleague. Shammond is the best shooter ive ever seen....Merl was guardable...if you gave all you had every second. But he never got tired so...5 minutes in its over.

wally_world
03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I was on the same court as Sun Yue. Never played against him but he's tall/big as hell for a PG. Professional players have that incredibly hard to guard jumper too, i guess thats what distinguishes them from us.

IGOTGAME
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Prob played against a lot throughout AAU and high school. Some notable ones:

Melo
Dajuan Wagner
JR Smith
Deng
Villanueva
Taquean Dean
Randy Foye
Allen Raye
Andrew Bynum

SacJB Shady
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
YES!!!!!! When I was 9 I played with a player who was in the NBA for a little bit. I don't remember his name. But this was in Vegas at that famous hotel. It was him and I verse two regular dudes. We LOST! The guy even dunked but it just goes to show how 1 NBA player can't always beat 2 regular guys.

Mr Exlax
03-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Prob played against a lot throughout AAU and high school. Some notable ones:

Melo
Dajuan Wagner
JR Smith
Deng
Villanueva
Taquean Dean
Randy Foye
Allen Raye
Andrew Bynum

Hey how dominant was Melo when you played against him? Was it like a man among boys type of domination? I would imagine the same thing with JR Smith.

elementally morale
03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Oh cool, do you happen to follow local basketball? I'm wondering how Miljan Rakic is doing over there now playing for Jaszberenyi, he is a childhood friend of mine. :)

No, not really. But if you tell me what you are interested in, I can make a quick search and a few translations for you. I'm more or less fluent in Hungarian. :D

IGOTGAME
03-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Hey how dominant was Melo when you played against him? Was it like a man among boys type of domination? I would imagine the same thing with JR Smith.

It was hard guarding Melo because he was so strong. You could beat him to the spot and he would just bounce off you. Then it was even tougher because he had a ton of spin moves and stuff.

JR was tough because he shoot so well. But it wasn't the same kind of physical domination. He used to get dunked on a decent amount when he was younger, also used to miss a lot of dunks.

Mr Exlax
03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
It was hard guarding Melo because he was so strong. You could beat him to the spot and he would just bounce off you. Then it was even tougher because he had a ton of spin moves and stuff.

JR was tough because he shoot so well. But it wasn't the same kind of physical domination. He used to get dunked on a decent amount when he was younger, also used to miss a lot of dunks.

Damn that sucks man with the Melo thing. That's the most frustrating part to me. Just knowing that you yourself are skilled and all that, but your opponent is just that much more stronger than you are.

How about Bynum? How did his post game look back then? I know it has come a long way in the NBA, but how about back then? Did you see anything that told you he'd become a force in the NBA? When I heard Rashard say he was going pro I pretty much figured we'd draft him (Rockets) and he'd end up playing SF, but being a mediocre role player. Never thought I'd see him put up 50+ point in a single game. He didn't suck, but I just didn't see it back then.

NickTheQuick31
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Played against Luke Schenscher (Aussie, NBA Scrub) when I was 17....he was almost 7 foot then and I think I was about 5'5.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/160777/schenscher_060315.jpg

Played in a game a few years back that was coached by a former NBA player Kevin Brooks. Brooks was a legend here, teaming with Darnell Mee to help our Pro team win back to back titles. I loved KB, and played probably the worst game of my life! :banghead:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Gp4b8omHw20/S9pqeEPEWxI/AAAAAAAAAPU/cKroT07mWY8/s1600/6.jpg

IGOTGAME
03-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Damn that sucks man with the Melo thing. That's the most frustrating part to me. Just knowing that you yourself are skilled and all that, but your opponent is just that much more stronger than you are.

How about Bynum? How did his post game look back then? I know it has come a long way in the NBA, but how about back then? Did you see anything that told you he'd become a force in the NBA? When I heard Rashard say he was going pro I pretty much figured we'd draft him (Rockets) and he'd end up playing SF, but being a mediocre role player. Never thought I'd see him put up 50+ point in a single game. He didn't suck, but I just didn't see it back then.

I actually started getting recruited by schools after a game I had against Bynum. He was smaller back then tho(6"6). We used to also be on the same AAU team except he played in the younger version. He had OK moves but was nothing special athletically or skill wise. Just a good post player who might have had a shot at D1. Then he grow up to 7 feet tall.

red1
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
I played kobe in the summer of 06. I embarrassed him pretty bad tbh, crossed him up a few times. After getting dunked on for the second time, he caught feelings and started whining about fouls so I slapped him and told him to gtfo the court. Not a good day for the kobester. I am planning to do the same thing to lebron this summer, this time I will get it all on camera because people dont seem to believe this story when I tell them.

elementally morale
03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
I played kobe in the summer of 06. I embarrassed him pretty bad tbh, crossed him up a few times. After getting dunked on for the second time, he caught feelings and started whining about fouls so I slapped him and told him to gtfo the court. Not a good day for the kobester. I am planning to do the same thing to lebron this summer, this time I will get it all on camera because people dont seem to believe this story when I tell them.

What's so hard to believe here? That there are some people on a basketball message board who actually did play basketball (some of them 20+ years ago)?

Calabis
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Tim Hardaway, Mike Bibby, Mike Dickerson, Chris Webber, Lindsey Hunter and Kenny Thomas.

Only one I guarded was Dickerson...dude could shoot then if u got to close he would go by you and be well above rim level in a heartbeat. I played all theses guys in their prime or rookie years and glad i didnt have to guard the PGs...playing half ass making people fall all over the place. Tim Hardaway shot knuckleballs and rarely missed...strong as hell too. Webber by far the scariest shit I seen live while on the same court....he was destroying a player from overseas. Kenny Thomas was still in high school not very good. Went to college matured into his body and was killing people crazy transformation from a timid kid to a strong physical player.

willds09
03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Tim Hardaway, Mike Bibby, Mike Dickerson, Chris Webber, Lindsey Hunter and Kenny Thomas.

Only one I guarded was Dickerson...dude could shoot then if u got to close he would go by you and be well above rim level in a heartbeat. I played all theses guys in their prime or rookie years and glad i didnt have to guard the PGs...playing half ass making people fall all over the place. Tim Hardaway shot knuckleballs and rarely missed...strong as hell too. Webber by far the scariest shit I seen live while on the same court....he was destroying a player from overseas. Kenny Thomas was still in high school not very good. Went to college matured into his body and was killing people crazy transformation from a timid kid to a strong physical player.
Dickerson was nice on tha grizzlies especially live 99 for ps1, good memories:applause:

Calabis
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Dickerson was nice on tha grizzlies especially live 99 for ps1, good memories:applause:

What's crazy is that I was a pretty good defender...did well against several D1 guys who got tryouts in NBA. He was just fvcking hard to guard...jumping ability made it even harder. He had deep ass range..then was explosive when going to the basket...strong too. Makes u think what the hell guys like Kobe, Wade would do to you. I was 6'4 205 at the time...so its not like I was some short dude getting towered over.

SilkkTheShocker
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
I once drove a limo for Eddy Curry

Orlando Magic
03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
No but I remember hearing about Anthony Bowie coming to a local college (FIT of Melbourne FL) and wrecking everyone back in the mid 90s when he was barely playing for the Magic and considered a scrub on the NBA level.

Shaq as well at FIT while playing for the Magic.

willds09
03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
What's crazy is that I was a pretty good defender...did well against several D1 guys who got tryouts in NBA. He was just fvcking hard to guard...jumping ability made it even harder. He had deep ass range..then was explosive when going to the basket...strong too. Makes u think what the hell guys like Kobe, Wade would do to you. I was 6'4 205 at the time...so its not like I was some short dude getting towered over.
Damn dats krazy, I cant imagine, if I was dat tall I would be in tha NBA right now, my height phucked up my chances:facepalm

ZMonkey11
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
While at Texas, got on the court with LeMarcus Aldridge and Daniel Gibson.

LeMarcus was incredible to watch when he would be open court dunking. Just the sheer size of the guy going up was redonk.

Gibson made 3s from wherever the F he wanted. It was pretty ridiculous.

Didn't play with these two, but watched TJ Ford play pick up ball. The most impressive pick up ball I have ever seen in my life. He did whatever the F he wanted on the court. Also watched Kevin Durant mess around a lil bit on the court, but he didn't take the games seriously at all. He knew he could score at will.

HOOK EM!

EDIT: Also went to HS with Deron Williams and watched him and Bracey Wright take it to the State semifinals, but lose. I believe it was to Chris Bosh's team at the time. DID NOT EXPECT Williams to be what he turned into.

Chizdog
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Played with Brandon Knight when he was 11.

pauk
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Only Darko Milicic.... I played in three D1 level teams in fr. Yugoslavia matching up against teams allover the place (one of them with the name PAUK which means spider, thats where i got my name from here), so i did see/play against plenty of players who later became pro FIBA yugo/balkan players, only one NBA player and that is Darko Milicic back in 1999-2000, he was only 16 if i remember correctly and yes he was very good for a big guy, skinny, tall, very athletic, great rebounder/defender, very similar to Kevin Garnett in gamestyle and even talent/productions at that level... never guarded him (not my position), we won though.... but it was nothing overwhelming playing him at that time, i could see the potential when i think about it, he certainly became much better the next year in Hemofarm, but i feel i have played against much better players than Darko at that time and ive seen much better players than Darko ever was, who didnt go to the NBA and some who didnt even go to FIBA/euroleague... mostly perimeter players...

Basketball is extremly popular here in fr. Yugoslavia and the best Euro ballers are/were from right here by majority, since very long time ago, as you maybe know, i mean the competition is extremly tough at any level.... you can find sometimes a NBA or at least FIBA/Euroleague level type of players at D1 level, many who lacked focus/work ethic/will to succeed or got stopped by injuries, with a hint of bad luck aswell or a combination of all that... that is exactly what happened to me aswell, although im not sure i was NBA level my confidence objects lol.... i was a scoring PG/SG (6'2"-180 lbs), pure shooter, patternizing the game of Drazen / Reggie Miller ofcourse.... :) at best i had a tryout and played a couple of months for a team that was/is in the Euroleague and later won the National Championship in Bosnia (KK Bosna Sarajevo (http://kkbosna.com/)).

AlphaWolf24
03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Played against J Kidd in Highschool...

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0402/rise_jason_kidd_400.jpg

- Kidd was a Good offensive player...but he mainly Dominated with defense and Passing.....He could Dominate a game without ever taking a shot.

- Played against the Murray Cousins....Lamond and Tracy......Both were Dominant Offensive Players!....Ungaurdable.

- Played against Gary Payton and Gerald Walker at a few Bay area Basketball Camps....Payton wasn't even Trying and still shut down anyone.

- what really seperates NBA players is the Size and speed.....think about it....J Kidd is 6' 4" and strong as H3ll.....But quik like a 5'9" NFL Running Back.....

Bandito
03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
A retard like you went to Stanford? :lol
George Bush went to Yale and Harvard:roll:

Bandito
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
one of them with the name PAUK which means spiderReally? Google translate says it means dishes.:kobe:

I played against Carlos Arroyo once and I couldn't even get close enough to do anything. He scored at will against me and my friends. And he was a bench player in the NBA which makes me appreciate those guys that are stars a lot.

I saw Barea play once in the 'Centroamericanos' and he is lightning quick.

LBJFTW
03-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I played with Melvin Levitt in a pickup game. He had some springs.

r15mohd
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
My HS coach used to coach Tim Duncan back in the islands, when the Spurs were in town, he'd always come visit him and run a little scrimmage with us

Really humble and good guy...gave our bigs some good pointers as well

Also went up against Keyon Dooling when he was at Dillard HS

tgan3
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Damn dats krazy, I cant imagine, if I was dat tall I would be in tha NBA right now, my height phucked up my chances:facepalm

How tall are you? I doubt you make it if ure 6'4. There are many talented 6'4 players. Maybe if ure 6'11 or 7'0

Levity
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Cherokee Parks balls at my gym every now and then. The dudes huge. Tore us apart. Really nice guy though. Last time i balled with him, charter just signed contracts allowing the Lakers channel to be aired on other cable providers. He was absolutely stoked on that, surprisingly.

LikeABosh
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
How tall are you? I doubt you make it if ure 6'4. There are many talented 6'4 players. Maybe if ure 6'11 or 7'0
He's probably 5' 6" and nonathletic and shoots well at the park once every 10 games

unbreakable
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
while at UT i balled against all sorts of players that come in and out of there..

by far the most impressive were TJ FORD and Avery Bradley... everytime I saw KD up there he never played, only chilled, worked out a little, conversated with the homies (football crew)..

but TJ and avery were straight beasts.. TJ quickest and best handle ive ever seen... bradley a physical monster who would start dunking on people if the game got serious..

people OVERRATED: Dj augustine,AJ abrams, and Daniel Gibson.. Gibson could shoot lights out if you leave him open, but if you put a hand up, close out, and stop his first move he was pretty weak without a screen. i routinely shook him up with a hesitation and in/n/out dribble. also DJ augustine aint shlt without a screen either..

you gotta keep in mind tho: these guys have endurance and stamina for days. i smoke bud so id be good first few games and be done soon.. these dudes would be out there 4-5 hrs at times. its amazing.

willds09
03-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Im short lol but yea if I was 6'3 at least I would of been a problem I know that for a fact

willds09
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
He's probably 5' 6" and nonathletic and shoots well at the park once every 10 games
Come on man thats harsh:lol but im nice tho, crossover, nice drive, Im a streaky shooter, create my own shot, but my defense needs work:facepalm, if I was 6'3 at least ish would be talking about me, buying my Jerseys and all, no lie

Just2McFly
03-22-2013, 02:50 PM
BJ Mullens

brandonislegend
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
James Harden, Austin Daye, Demar Derozan, John Wall, LeBron James(played on his team the one game he played at drew), Marcus Williams, Bobby Brown, Metta World Peace, Steve Blake, Tyreke Evans, Michael Beasley some more

Most was at drew, harden wall Derozan Daye and some others came to the pyramid at lb state and ran with our team there's a video on youtube

Mr Exlax
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
TJ FORD

TJ quickest and best handle ive ever seen

Saw him play once at the Fonde here in Houston. It had actually slipped my mind as to how quick he was until you mentioned him.

LongLiveTheKing
03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Played against George Hill but you can tell he wasn't trying. He ran over me though.

D.J.
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Metta World Peace, Jamaal Tinsley, Lamar Odom.

Fiba basketball
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Only Darko Milicic.... I played in three D1 level teams in fr. Yugoslavia matching up against teams allover the place (one of them with the name PAUK which means spider, thats where i got my name from here), so i did see/play against plenty of players who later became pro FIBA yugo/balkan players, only one NBA player and that is Darko Milicic back in 1999-2000, he was only 16 if i remember correctly and yes he was very good for a big guy, skinny, tall, very athletic, great rebounder/defender, very similar to Kevin Garnett in gamestyle and even talent/productions at that level... never guarded him (not my position), we won though.... but it was nothing overwhelming playing him at that time, i could see the potential when i think about it, he certainly became much better the next year in Hemofarm, but i feel i have played against much better players than Darko at that time and ive seen much better players than Darko ever was, who didnt go to the NBA and some who didnt even go to FIBA/euroleague... mostly perimeter players...

Basketball is extremly popular here in fr. Yugoslavia and the best Euro ballers are/were from right here by majority, since very long time ago, as you maybe know, i mean the competition is extremly tough at any level.... you can find sometimes a NBA or at least FIBA/Euroleague level type of players at D1 level, many who lacked focus/work ethic/will to succeed or got stopped by injuries, with a hint of bad luck aswell or a combination of all that... that is exactly what happened to me aswell, although im not sure i was NBA level my confidence objects lol.... i was a scoring PG/SG (6'2"-180 lbs), pure shooter, patternizing the game of Drazen / Reggie Miller ofcourse.... :) at best i had a tryout and played a couple of months for a team that was/is in the Euroleague and later won the National Championship in Bosnia (KK Bosna Sarajevo (http://kkbosna.com/)).

Who is the best you played with than ?

You played for Bosna when they were playing in EL or later ??

Shade8780
03-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I played LeBron when I was in Miami. A pretty good game.

KungFuJoe
03-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Played 5-5 against a team that had Sean Rooks. None of us were even close to his size...I was 6'2" and our tallest guy was only 6'5" so we zoned up (yeah, I know you don't play zone at the park) and we actually did a good job keeping him from just using his physical strength on us. I don't recall him totally dominating or anything. How he made it to the NBA is completely beyond me. He wasn't coasting or anything, either...was actually playing hard.

Big#50
03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Played against AC Green. One on one.beat him 5-3. Of course he only shot jumpers. I was about 15.
Dude kept pressuring me to stay a virgin. Not lying. I wasn't a virgin by then.

ripthekik
03-22-2013, 07:26 PM
one of them with the name PAUK which means spider

Urban dictionary tells me smth different..
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pauk
definition #3 :lol

Kovach
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
No, not really. But if you tell me what you are interested in, I can make a quick search and a few translations for you. I'm more or less fluent in Hungarian. :D
No biggie if you don't follow, I was just curious how he is perceived over there. I will ask him myself the next time I see him ;)

Kovach
03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Only Darko Milicic.... I played in three D1 level teams in fr. Yugoslavia matching up against teams allover the place (one of them with the name PAUK which means spider, thats where i got my name from here), so i did see/play against plenty of players who later became pro FIBA yugo/balkan players...
Lucky you. The only player I played against that went on to become a pro was Vladimir Tica. My younger cousin use to play on the same team as Milan Macvan before he went to Hemofarm and my childhood friend is that model that was dating Pau Gasol a few years ago. That's the only connection I have to pro basketball players. Not much to brag about :/

ralph_i_el
03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Come on man thats harsh:lol but im nice tho, crossover, nice drive, Im a streaky shooter, create my own shot, but my defense needs work:facepalm, if I was 6'3 at least ish would be talking about me, buying my Jerseys and all, no lie

you sound confident. How about you post a vid of you putting up some jumpers?

tgan3
03-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Played 5-5 against a team that had Sean Rooks. None of us were even close to his size...I was 6'2" and our tallest guy was only 6'5" so we zoned up (yeah, I know you don't play zone at the park) and we actually did a good job keeping him from just using his physical strength on us. I don't recall him totally dominating or anything. How he made it to the NBA is completely beyond me. He wasn't coasting or anything, either...was actually playing hard.

The taller reserve guys in the NBA mainly there for height and not skill.

selrahc
03-23-2013, 01:25 AM
i played lebron 1 on 1 about a year ago. at first he was taking it easy but i hit a couple 3s right off and told him his bitch ass was going down... then he started playing harder. i ended up winning 11-10, was a close match. i still dont see what all the hoopla is about him. even i can do what he does...

willds09
03-23-2013, 07:59 PM
you sound confident. How about you post a vid of you putting up some jumpers?
One day I will