PDA

View Full Version : Kobe is an underrated shot blocker.....

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/kobe_bryant_block.jpg

Very underrated as SG's don't block many shots. His man to man defense is solid. As he ages, he's been playing great as a free safety. Like many football players, he has to switch from being Deion Sanders to Ed Reed.

Anyways, to make a long story short here is a video of some of Kobe's blocks. This is a 2 year old video, so I will source more block shots and add to this outstanding video of block shots.

What's so great is that nobody knows that there is tradition between Yao and Kobe since Yao joined the league. Kobe has blocked Yao Ming every year that Yao's been in the league. Laker fans will know about this tradition I'm talking about.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZxnTJZHsI

P.S. Feel free to post some of your favorites.

Please share, subscribe and rate!

Credits:

Thread created by 9erempiree
Video created by Lakernation94

LongLiveTheKing
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
In b4 Lebron blocks at the all star game!

Sharmer
03-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Do you think Kobe is a better shot blocker than Wade?

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Do you think Kobe is a better shot blocker than Wade?

Wade is a good shot blocker but he's more of a help defender. His timing is great when it comes to tracking down a guy but I don't think he's a good one on one blocker like Kobe is.

If you watched the video, it showed a lot of open floor blocks that Kobe does to stop dunks. He was contesting dunks and blocking them.

NumberSix
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Wade Jones > Kobe

PJR
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md6z66pew21rj491go1_400.png

scott0326
03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Kobe is a solid shot blocker, especially for a SG, I don't think he's good as Wade though.

John Wall = best PG shot blocker.

ThunderStruk022
03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
As he ages, he's been playing great as a free safety. Like many football players, he has to switch from being Deion Sanders to Ed Reed.

Are you f***ing high?

Zedja
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Wade is a better shot blocker than Kobe.

Ancient Legend
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Kobe is a solid shot blocker, especially for a SG, I don't think he's good as Wade though.

John Wall = best PG shot blocker.

Not better than Eric Bledsoe.

mjokc
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Serge Ibaka is a better shot blocker and has a bigger d***.

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/serge-ibaka-679x1024.jpg

vs.

http://www.upscalehype.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/KobeBryantww2.jpg

Sharmer
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Wade is a good shot blocker but he's more of a help defender. His timing is great when it comes to tracking down a guy but I don't think he's a good one on one blocker like Kobe is.

If you watched the video, it showed a lot of open floor blocks that Kobe does to stop dunks. He was contesting dunks and blocking them.

So you think Wade is a better help defender than Kobe?

Zedja
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
So you think Wade is a better help defender than Kobe?
Wade is a better defender than Kobe overall at this stage of their careers :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Shot blocking SG's:

Wade/West

Kobe

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Shot blocking SG's:

Wade/West

Kobe

Says the guy that thinks 50/60's Era-specific players can play with guy's of today.

:facepalm

ThunderStruk022
03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Says the guy that thinks 50/60's Era-specific players can play with guy's of today.

Says the guy that thinks 50/60's era-specific players can't play with today's players.

Sharmer
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2013&p2=wadedw01&y2=2013

Blocked shots 2013 season.

Kobe 17, Wade 49.

Wade has more than 3 times as many blocks are Kobe.

Wade career average is also a lot higher than Kobe.

Wade > Kobe shot blocking.

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Says the guy that thinks 50/60's era-specific players can't play with today's players.
:applause:

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM

With everything being equal they can probably play but you have to know that sports medicine, speed, strength, training and athletic ability have progressed tremendously.

Heck, the shoes alone that they were wearing would put them at a huge disadvantage. It's like people trying to wear those old outdated Jordan shoes versus those more advanced shoes of today.

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM

With everything being equal they can probably play but you have to know that sports medicine, speed, strength, training and athletic ability have progressed tremendously.

Heck, the shoes alone that they were wearing would put them at a huge disadvantage. It's like people trying to wear those old outdated Jordan shoes versus those more advanced shoes of today.
In his Chuck Taylors and meat and potatos diet, I'll take 1967 Wilt over any player in the league today.

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2013&p2=wadedw01&y2=2013

Kobe 17, Wade 49.

Wade > Kobe shot blocking.

That's what help defenders do. They come from the weak side to help block shots and Wade is very good at it.

Kobe's a decent help defender but more of his block shots are man to man lock down defense.

The reason for the decline in block shots is because players know better than to challenge Kobe. The best way to go up against a Kobe Bryant lock down defense is to play off the ball.

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:42 PM
In his Chuck Taylors and meat and potatos diet, I'll take 1967 Wilt over any player in the league today.

There is a reason why you watch YT videos of old footages

versus

The guy that works professionally scouting players for a NBA team.

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Not only was Kobe a great shot blocker and very underrated in that aspect he was what you consider a lockdown defender.

Kobe is #15 in the all-time list in steals.

Too play the defender one on one and still be able to get as much blocks as he does shows what a great blocker he was.

A guy can have tons of blocks but his steals could be low because of anticipating blocks. This would make them more of a help defender.

Sharmer
03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
The reason for the decline in block shots is because players know better than to challenge Kobe. The best way to go up against a Kobe Bryant lock down defense is to play off the ball.

How is this related to shot blocking?

Are you saying players don't shoot because their scared of being blocked by Kobe?

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
There is a reason why you make YT videos of old footages

versus

The guy that works professionally scouting players for a NBA team.
Fixed. Actually, making one for the Elgin Baylor right now.

And those guys that worked professionally scouting players for NBA teams? Yah, same guys that were convinced 50 year old Wilt would help their teams out in the same league as prime Larry, Magic, and Jordan?

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
How is this related to shot blocking?

Are you saying players don't shoot because their scared of being blocked by Kobe?

He doesn't get many attempts as he use to.

I like how you brought up this year where I'm talking about Kobe as a shot blocker in history.

Overall body of work.

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Fixed. Actually, making one for the Elgin Baylor right now.

And those guys that worked professionally scouting players for NBA teams? Yah, same guys that were convinced 50 year old Wilt would help their teams out in the same league as prime Larry, Magic, and Jordan?

You need some Kobe videos in your collection.

I see you are lacking some videos of the Mamba.

We need some rare Kobe clips. He's going to retire pretty soon so it's best if you start early and start a collection.

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
You need some Kobe videos in your collection.

I see you are lacking some videos of the Mamba.

We need some rare Kobe clips. He's going to retire pretty soon so it's best if you start early and start a collection.
Nah, I've found my own little niche with the 60's and 70's stuff. There's just enough footage from back then to not be overwhelmed with source material. Mixes of Kobe are common, finding his "rare" plays throughout his long career would be a logistics nightmare, and some of the best mix makers have already churned out mixes of Kobe better than I could ever make. I'm gonna stick with those plodding 60's stiffs for now

HardwoodLegend
03-25-2013, 06:03 PM
This is one of the most impressive blocks of Kobe's that I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4szX9cqR80

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Nah, I've found my own little niche with the 60's and 70's stuff. There's just enough footage from back then to not be overwhelmed with source material. Mixes of Kobe are common, finding his "rare" plays throughout his long career would be a logistics nightmare, and some of the best mix makers have already churned out mixes of Kobe better than I could ever make. I'm gonna stick with those plodding 60's stiffs for now

There's plenty of footage.

There was a show in the past and I think it's still playing on CBS when there isn't a sporting event.

The show always had black/white footages of players in the past.

I will try to find out for you if you don't already know it. They did a great special featuring Pistol Pete.

RRR3
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
T-Mac was better. And this is one thread in which I can say that and no one can disagree with me :banana:

Djahjaga
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283274

Real Men Wear Green
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
0.5 bpg career, 0.2 bpg this season. The career number is solid but not amazing. No real justification for this topic.

RRR3
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Some of the best shotblocking guards:

Michael Jordan: Had seasons of 1.6, 1.5 and 1.2 BPG, career average of 0.8 BPG

Dwyane Wade: Career average of 1.0 BPG

Vince Carter: 1.5 BPG in his rookie year, career average of 0.7 BPG

T-Mac: Seasons of 1.9, 1.5 and 1.3 BPG, career average of 0.9 BPG

George Gervin: NBA career high 1.3 BPG, NBA average of 0.8 BPG

CavaliersFTW
03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Some of the best shotblocking guards:

Michael Jordan: Had seasons of 1.6, 1.5 and 1.2 BPG, career average of 0.8 BPG

Dwyane Wade: Career average of 1.0 BPG

Vince Carter: 1.5 BPG in his rookie year, career average of 0.7 BPG

T-Mac: Seasons of 1.9, 1.5 and 1.3 BPG, career average of 0.9 BPG

George Gervin: NBA career high 1.3 BPG, NBA average of 0.8 BPG
Jerry West in his final NBA season at age 35: 0.7bpg

Kobe at age 35: 0.2bpg <---.... lol

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Jerry West in his final NBA season at age 35: 0.7bpg

Kobe at age 35: 0.2bpg <---.... lol

What's so pathetic about you guys and your blocking stats is that you truly don't even know what it means.

You guys act like these guys are getting a block more than Bryant ever game but that's not how you even read these blocking stats.

It only means West has one block more than Kobe every 5 games.

Not much there from the box scores.

I have posted a video that clearly shows how underrated he is and this thread is proof. Kobe's a one on one shot blocker. He's not getting a majority of his blocks from behind.

DuMa
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Kobe is an nonexistant shot blocker.

RRR3
03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
When you refer to a player's "shotblocking" ability, one would think this could be analyzed by how often the player blocks shots. No one cares about how Kobe does it in this context, he's not better at blocking other players' shots than the players we listed, regardless of whether he is better than them in other areas.

9erempiree
03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Here's a crazy stat and I am going to bring up Wade because most here think Wade is some sort of defensive machine but Kobe's the better one on one defender and overall defensive player.

Blocks:

Kobe 611
Wade 660

Steals:

Kobe 1812
Wade 1172

While Wade plays off his guy and comes over for the weak side help and block...Kobe's sticking to his guy like glue judging from his steals.

You have to remember that a prime Kobe scared a lot of players. It was very hard for them to get their shot off. Kobe's blocks were challenges at the rim and not your usual help from behind blocks.

Real Men Wear Green
03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
While Wade plays off his guy and comes over for the weak side help and block...Kobe's sticking to his guy like glue judging from his steals.

You have to remember that a prime Kobe scared a lot of players. It was very hard for them to get their shot off. Kobe's blocks were challenges at the rim and not your usual help from behind blocks.
I suppose you could have remembered things that way. You also could have been dropped on your head as a child. Repeatedly.

arifgokcen
03-25-2013, 06:44 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003195043/1555263226_lol_xlarge.jpeg

Hittin_Shots
03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Here's a crazy stat and I am going to bring up Wade because most here think Wade is some sort of defensive machine but Kobe's the better one on one defender and overall defensive player.

Blocks:

Kobe 611
Wade 660

Steals:

Kobe 1812
Wade 1172

You are a moron, using totals when one has played a sizeable amount more games..

Blocks

Kobe 0.5 pg
Wade 1 pg

Steals

Kobe 1.5 pg
Wade 1.8 pg

How bout getting off Kobe's *******?

poido123
03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
I suppose you could have remembered things that way. You also could have been dropped on your head as a child. Repeatedly.

:lol :roll:

greymatter
03-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Only......1......more.......red.......bar.......to .......go!!!11!

chosen_one6
03-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Blocks:

Kobe 611
Wade 660

Steals:

Kobe 1812
Wade 1172

You're such a troll it's unbelievable. Steals DOES NOT equal good on-ball defender. That just means you're constantly reaching and overplaying passing lanes. Bruce Bowen only averaged .8 steals in his career but was a much better defender than Kobe. You play defense with your feet, not your hands. :facepalm

Sharmer
03-25-2013, 07:00 PM
When you refer to a player's "shotblocking" ability, one would think this could be analyzed by how often the player blocks shots. No one cares about how Kobe does it in this context, he's not better at blocking other players' shots than the players we listed, regardless of whether he is better than them in other areas.

:roll:

I think the OP is trying to say that Kobe doesn

Sharmer
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
He doesn't get many attempts as he use to.

I like how you brought up this year where I'm talking about Kobe as a shot blocker in history.

Overall body of work.

:biggums: Kobe doesnt get many shot blocking attempts?

Explain your reasoning and logic.

greymatter
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
:biggums: Kobe doesnt get many shot blocking attempts?

Explain your reasoning and logic.

We've seen plenty of examples of this guy's "reasoning" and "logic". Is there any particular reason why you'd want to read yet another retarded piece of nonsense?

Solid Snake
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't know who's more dumb, you or that Sac Shady kid.

Sakkreth
03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Ohh I can neg op already.

tazb
03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Who cares. Wade is the best shot blocking guard in NBA history, even though he's 2 inches shorter than Kobe.

TheBigVeto
03-26-2013, 12:10 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/kobe_bryant_block.jpg

Very underrated as SG's don't block many shots. His man to man defense is solid. As he ages, he's been playing great as a free safety. Like many football players, he has to switch from being Deion Sanders to Ed Reed.

Anyways, to make a long story short here is a video of some of Kobe's blocks. This is a 2 year old video, so I will source more block shots and add to this outstanding video of block shots.

What's so great is that nobody knows that there is tradition between Yao and Kobe since Yao joined the league. Kobe has blocked Yao Ming every year that Yao's been in the league. Laker fans will know about this tradition I'm talking about.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZxnTJZHsI

P.S. Feel free to post some of your favorites.

Please share, subscribe and rate!

Credits:

Thread created by 9erempiree
Video created by Lakernation94

http://oi53.tinypic.com/34rtwyh.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh600/Rodman2124/kobeclutch.gif

Beatlezz
03-26-2013, 12:12 AM
DikemBe MutomBe! :bowdown:

bukowski81
03-26-2013, 12:28 AM
What's so pathetic about you guys and your blocking stats is that you truly don't even know what it means.

You guys act like these guys are getting a block more than Bryant ever game but that's not how you even read these blocking stats.

It only means West has one block more than Kobe every 5 games.

Not much there from the box scores.

I have posted a video that clearly shows how underrated he is and this thread is proof. Kobe's a one on one shot blocker. He's not getting a majority of his blocks from behind.

Well, Kobe just has 1 block every five games, anyways, here is my favorite kobe block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebbLQCN3SfQ

j3lademaster
03-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Kobe 17, Wade 49.

Wade > Kobe shot blocking.??? 49>51?

Sharmer
03-26-2013, 02:44 AM
??? 49>51?

typo almost 3 times.

Shih508
03-26-2013, 04:03 AM
most overrated defender

Breezy
03-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Kobe's shot blocking is perfectly rated... Average.

Sharmer
03-26-2013, 07:06 AM
We've seen plenty of examples of this guy's "reasoning" and "logic". Is there any particular reason why you'd want to read yet another retarded piece of nonsense?

Everyone deserves a chance.

Don't think he's the worst on here. It's just hard to understand his point of view at times.

Flush
03-26-2013, 07:59 AM
You can't count defense on numbers.

plowking
03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
I actually bothered to check, and Wade has 50 more blocks in his career, despite playing half the games and being 2 inches shorter. LOL...

detroitdogg
03-26-2013, 08:28 AM
That's what help defenders do. They come from the weak side to help block shots and Wade is very good at it.

Kobe's a decent help defender but more of his block shots are man to man lock down defense.

D Wade has led the NBA 10 years straight in one on one blocked shots and blocked jumpshots. Not just guards, I mean the whole NBA. There was an article on this last year after he got that sick block on Duncan, he was so far ahead of the next person (Igoudala) its crazy. Kobe was not even in the conversation. So thanks for showing your knowlege about this. When Wade retires he will have the most blocked jumpshots in the history of the game, and will prob be top 5 on blocks on his man. Thanks for nothing bruh.

9erempiree
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
His overall body of work and defense is just amazing.

Someone like Wade, who's considered a defensive juggernaut has only 50 more blocks than Kobe but Kobe has 700 more steals.

LikeABosh
03-26-2013, 05:06 PM
:facepalm If you think he's even close to Wade and Jordan as a shot blocker

LikeABosh
03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
His overall body of work and defense is just amazing.

Someone like Wade, who's considered a defensive juggernaut has only 50 more blocks than Kobe but Kobe has 700 more steals.
Wade "only" has 50 more blocks than Kobe because Kobe has played in twice as many games you ****ing idiot

dh144498
03-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Wade "only" has 50 more blocks than Kobe because Kobe has played in twice as many games you ****ing idiot

:roll:

9erempiree
03-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Yea and at this rate he won't come close to steals at all.

Kobe was blocking shots and stealing at an incredible rate. His steals trump his blocks. Great one on one defender.

Wade won't even touch him in steals.

LikeABosh
03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Yea and at this rate he won't come close to steals at all.

Kobe was blocking shots and stealing at an incredible rate. His steals trump his blocks. Great one on one defender.

Wade won't even touch him in steals.
Wade 1 block per game and 1.8 steals. Kobe 0.4 blocks per game and 1.5 steals