PDA

View Full Version : Draft 2013

ljsbb27
03-25-2013, 11:50 PM
March Madness and watching the tournament always has me looking out for potential prospects that can fit into what the Bulls want/need.

Some guys that may fall to our pick and have stood out to me are the following:

Tim Hardaway Jr
James Michael McAdoo
Isaiah Austin
Gorgui Dieng
Archie Goodwin
Jeff Withey
Lucas Nogueira
Adreian Payne
Patric Young
Kenny Kadji
Michael Snaer
Jamaal Franklin

We need a SG and a PF/C

A young backup to Noah with some potential would be nice.

A young SG to finally fill that role would also be nice.

ljsbb27
04-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Alot of these guys had nice runs in the tournament and showed that they can potentially be solid NBA players. I don't think there are any sure fire stars in this draft but there is depth of talent which is good for a team like our Bulls who isn't picking the early because in this kind of draft the talent gap between the 15th pick to the 25th pick isn't that great

Crystallas
04-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Hardaway Jr is the only guy I like.

We could get a better and cheaper backup big out of the D-League. Yes, that is how disappointing this draft is.

Rose
04-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Hardaway Jr is the only guy I like.

We could get a better and cheaper backup big out of the D-League. Yes, that is how disappointing this draft is.
Agreed. I think he's the pick if he's on the board.

But depending on how McAdoo measures at the combine I think he should get a strong look. If he has tweener size no, if he measures at a solid PF height definitely work him out.That listed height of 6'9 is probably gonna turn into a 6'7 though.

Crystallas
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
McAdoo is a serious project. But he definitely has NBA skill, Thibs type of skill but not kind of heart. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. I don't like him a lot though. He's more Tyrus Thomas in the head, than he is any kind of upgrade for us on the court.

Rose
04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I agree he might not have the type of mindset to be a success but I don't think he's a dumbass like Tyrus (few are), but I think he actually wants to get better, but could go either way depending on where he goes..I think with our more veteran bigs he'd be a good project to take on, given how much they bust their asses they'd be a good example, and whip him into shape.

methusala
04-12-2013, 01:44 AM
Kadji is old with questionable shot selection, Dieng has no offensive skills and Withey might be the biggest douchebag I saw this year. Can't stand that soft ass coattail rider.

Love Hardaway, especially his shot and athleticism. Don't think he'll be available late though.

(e)
04-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Jimmy Butler deserves a shot at the starting 2 guard next season. I do agree we will need another wing guy though - RIP is definitely gone.

This draft could be wide open after the top few players get taken. A guy like Hardaway could be a solid player so I'd be on board with him.

Cardwell-Pope has a lot of abilities that would fit in Chicago - great rebounder for his position and is a solid defender, can also score the ball. Only thing is he would likely have to drop for Chicago to get him.

ljsbb27
04-13-2013, 05:04 PM
McAdoo is a serious project. But he definitely has NBA skill, Thibs type of skill but not kind of heart. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. I don't like him a lot though. He's more Tyrus Thomas in the head, than he is any kind of upgrade for us on the court.

Mcadoo was projected to be a top 5-10 pick if he came out last year. Not saying that he deserves that or it's merited, but the potential is certainly there.
I think he has a well balanced skill set, but he sometimes doesn't have the fire, intensity or IQ to consistently play well. Things that I think can be corrected being surrounded by a good coaching staff and a good roster both of which we have.

ljsbb27
04-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Kadji is old with questionable shot selection, Dieng has no offensive skills and Withey might be the biggest douchebag I saw this year. Can't stand that soft ass coattail rider.

Love Hardaway, especially his shot and athleticism. Don't think he'll be available late though.

Kadji is a big who has legit size and can spread the floor which is something we need to open the lanes for our slashers.

Dieng has serious defensive potential and he actually has somewhat of a decent jumpshot out to 15 feet.

Withey has serious size and is actually strong at finishing around the basket and is a pretty good shot blocker.

We're talking about a backup C who hopefully won't have to play a lot of minutes as long as Noah stays healthy.

Either one of these guys would be an upgrade over Nazr.

methusala
04-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Kadji is a big who has legit size and can spread the floor which is something we need to open the lanes for our slashers.

Dieng has serious defensive potential and he actually has somewhat of a decent jumpshot out to 15 feet.

Withey has serious size and is actually strong at finishing around the basket and is a pretty good shot blocker.

We're talking about a backup C who hopefully won't have to play a lot of minutes as long as Noah stays healthy.

Either one of these guys would be an upgrade over Nazr.

A wet blanket is an upgrade over Nazr.

I'm a Miami Hurricane fan. Kadji is not someone I want to use a 1st rd. pick on.

I don't want to use a 1st on 'just' a backup either. There are a number of things the Bulls need, wasting a pick on a backup/low ceiling guy is a waste.

el gringos
04-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Jamal Franklin seems like a bulls type player to me- he and ESP Archie Goodwin should be taken ahead of hardaway, both are a level above

ljsbb27
04-20-2013, 08:00 PM
A wet blanket is an upgrade over Nazr.

I'm a Miami Hurricane fan. Kadji is not someone I want to use a 1st rd. pick on.

I don't want to use a 1st on 'just' a backup either. There are a number of things the Bulls need, wasting a pick on a backup/low ceiling guy is a waste.

I would argue that there aren't a number of things that we need. '

In my opinion I would say a center to backup Noah is priority number one with priority number two being a small forward to backup Deng if Butler is going to be our starting shooting guard.

Rose-Hinrich-Teague
Butler-Bellinelli-Robinson
Deng-?
Boozer-Gibson-Thomas
Noah-?

I'm guessing the roster will look something like that with maybe a few moves unless we pull of some type of trade.

ljsbb27
04-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Jamal Franklin seems like a bulls type player to me- he and ESP Archie Goodwin should be taken ahead of hardaway, both are a level above

I would say that they're more athletic and maybe better defenders by a small margin, but Hardaway Jr is a better scorer and a better shooter and that's what we need more of.

ljsbb27
04-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Steven Adams is another prospect at the Center position.

ljsbb27
04-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Jimmy Butler deserves a shot at the starting 2 guard next season. I do agree we will need another wing guy though - RIP is definitely gone.

This draft could be wide open after the top few players get taken. A guy like Hardaway could be a solid player so I'd be on board with him.

Cardwell-Pope has a lot of abilities that would fit in Chicago - great rebounder for his position and is a solid defender, can also score the ball. Only thing is he would likely have to drop for Chicago to get him.

I like Caldwell-Pope and Jamaal Franklin as well. If we can get one of those two or Hardaway Jr I would be ecstatic.

ljsbb27
05-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Glen Rice Jr and Reggie Bullock are two more guys id be happy with.

Some talks that the Bulls may try to move up in the draft.

Also some talks the Bulls may draft another Euro player and stash him away for a few years until he's ready to avoid additional payroll.

ljsbb27
05-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Dario Saric and Giannis Adetokoubo are the two international players I keep seeing linked to the Bulls.

idizzle
05-29-2013, 11:00 PM
@ljsbb27, Coach Thibs has already said that Butler will be a starter next season. He earned it. Bulls always say they gone move up in the draft. They been saying that since 09 when they needed a SG. From what I've been reading the Bulls might take Caldwell-Pope if he is still there. He has a Kevin Martin type of game. Him and Teague would be a nice backcourt coming off the bench.

Rose
05-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Karasev!!!!!

Letswin
05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
This year the bulls need to address 2 positions, Shooting guard and a backup center. I believe Deng will be gone after next year and Butler will probably be the starting Small Forward. He will be better at that position than at Shooting Guard.

My opinion the 1st tier of players the bulls should go after if they are available would be: Olynyk, Gobert, Caldwell-Pope, Franklin, and Crabbe.

The next tier if none of those are available could be: Goodwin, Mitchell, or Rice. I'm not too sold on Hardaway or Dieng.

97 bulls
06-07-2013, 02:24 AM

I agree on Jimmy Butler. Why do we need to look for another SG? I feel we need a big to replace Asik.

Rose
06-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree on Jimmy Butler. Why do we need to look for another SG? I feel we need a big to replace Asik.
SG are kinda in a way just as rare as legit centers. I mean sure all the top tier shooter guards are great but several are about to retire.

Simmons usually argues that Wade/Kobe/Manu are on the way out and the next generation is pretty much Harden/EJ/Afflalo. And really Harden's the only one that's a lock for being an all star more than once. Sure EJ could make it if he gets "healthy" and Afflalo might in a shitty east but it's kinda different than it used to be back in the 90s.

Center is pretty much now Dwight? Gasol Noah Lopez Bosh. I mean there's several guys there who if Dwight is never again that good (and I think he was just bored in LA but he may have actually been injured) that are all arguably the best center. Then a few next tier guys like Asik, Tyson (I'm not as high on him as others) Vucevic etc.

And we're fortunate enough to have one of the top tier guys. Plus the Bulls still need shooting. I think if there's a nice 2 guard prospect take him, but if there's a nice center prospect who would be a good back up grab him.

Crystallas
06-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Meh, this draft isn't deep enough to want the Bulls to become idealistic with their pick. We have to take the best available, period. Because there is a good chance that we're looking at D-League prospects once Stern hits the podium. Dieng and Hardaway are good, because if they're on the board, these are two hard-working(Pax/Thibs type) smart and athletic players that might pan out after a year or two.

Immediate impact players simply are hard to come by in this year's draft class.

ljsbb27
06-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Meh, this draft isn't deep enough to want the Bulls to become idealistic with their pick. We have to take the best available, period. Because there is a good chance that we're looking at D-League prospects once Stern hits the podium. Dieng and Hardaway are good, because if they're on the board, these are two hard-working(Pax/Thibs type) smart and athletic players that might pan out after a year or two.

Immediate impact players simply are hard to come by in this year's draft class.

Dieng and Hardaway are actually my top two targets with our 20th pick.

In the second round I like Solomon Hill.

ljsbb27
06-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Ricky Ledo is one guy i haven't seen anyone mention that could surprise people. Very smooth offensive game. Needs work defensively but has the size and athletic ability and we all know how much Thibs can help people improve their defense.

ljsbb27
06-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Ricky Ledo is one guy i haven't seen anyone mention that could surprise people. Very smooth offensive game. Needs work defensively but has the size and athletic ability and we all know how much Thibs can help people improve their defense.

Did some more research on Ledo and if he falls because of some of the worries surrounding him he could really be a steal. Coming out of high school he was a top rated prospect and an All-American. Then due to academics he had to sit out his freshman season at Providence. Because of not getting to see him play against college competition some NBA scouts are worried, but some think he proved himself enough before this past year. He still practiced with the team all year long and worked on his body and his game he just didn't get to play in actual games.

We'll see, but he should definitely be considered an option.

DwadeOverLebron
06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
1. Plumlee 2. Jamaal Franklin 3. Jeff Withey 4. Crabbe 5. Dieng

That's the order we should draft upon availability.

I think people are over looking Plumlee, his measurements are a lot smaller than expected but the kid has a nba body, and he runs the court well, gets in position and can finish around the rim. But a lot of drafts have em projecting to go earlier so.. Which leads me to my most likely pick jamaal Franklin.

I love this Franklin pick as he is perfect for thibs style of play. He almost averaged double figures in rebounds at 6'6 and a lot of that has to do with his 6'11 wingspan. He is tenacious on defense, already has a somewhat low post game, and he can also dish the basketball. He's a gym rat and hard worker. He hit almost 80% of he free throws, in which he went to the line a lot! Weaknesses are his ball handling (somewhat fairly new to the game of ball, he was a multiple sport athlete in high school track, and football) and he's not a good jump shooter (but he hit 79% from the charity stripe so the potential is there). I love this guy for the bulls and I hope we draft him, but if Plumlee is there I don't see how you can pass on him. Franklin reminds me of lance Stephenson with just a splash of Gerald Wallace.

Bulls_Fan20
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
1. Plumlee 2. Jamaal Franklin 3. Jeff Withey 4. Crabbe 5. Dieng

That's the order we should draft upon availability.

While I agree with you on the ranking of the big men, I think Crabbe belongs ahead of Franklin. We were one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the league this season, and Franklin would not help to improve that. Crabbe can really shoot it, at only 6'6" he has a 6'11" wingspan, hit over 81% of his free throws, and rebounds very well for a guard.

Franklin would definitely fit well in Thib's system except for his poor shooting - we also don't know how well he will transition from a smaller school to the NBA. Looking purely at PPG, he averaged 17 this past season, but his team only played 6 games against ranked opponents, and he averaged just under 11 PPG in them. It's not hard to beat up on the likes of Air Force, Colorado St, and Nevada.....

DwadeOverLebron
06-24-2013, 06:05 PM
While I agree with you on the ranking of the big men, I think Crabbe belongs ahead of Franklin. We were one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the league this season, and Franklin would not help to improve that. Crabbe can really shoot it, at only 6'6" he has a 6'11" wingspan, hit over 81% of his free throws, and rebounds very well for a guard.

Franklin would definitely fit well in Thib's system except for his poor shooting - we also don't know how well he will transition from a smaller school to the NBA. Looking purely at PPG, he averaged 17 this past season, but his team only played 6 games against ranked opponents, and he averaged just under 11 PPG in them. It's not hard to beat up on the likes of Air Force, Colorado St, and Nevada.....

Yes agreed also, crabbe can really shoot it and he's really good at moving with out the ball which for a young player is very impressive. But I look at it like this.. I don't think crabbe can do this with a wade or Lebron guarding him, or a even a stumpers. Crabbe reminds me of what a rip Hamilton was supposed to be for the bulls. Even tho he is long, he doesn't have that defensive mind set or chip on his shoulder the way Franklin does. We beat teams with out rose this year, even vs the heat, Knicks, pacers etc. we will always win games vs the rest of the nba but we need to beat the heat, pacers, Knicks goin forward. I see us matching up better with Franklin then crabbe vs those teams.

Now this trade rumor with luol that just surfaced is interesting.. All I gotta say is oladipo and that's a potential dynasty if it happens.

Rose
06-25-2013, 02:13 AM
I don't like that Oladipo rumor at all. Not that I don't like the guy, or think he'll be a bust but....Deng is better now and will probably be better for the next 2-3 years. Oladipo is only this highly rated because every player has questions this year about their future success. And he's the only "safe" pick. He can't shoot, he's an alright driver. Terrific defender but...Deng is already one, and scores more easily/better.

Now if it was a hey "If McLemore is there we'd love to trade with you" That I could like. And I think there's a somewhat reasonable chance that could happen. But for Oladipo? Meh.

Hell even for Len or Noel. But Oladipo? :confusedshrug:

kshutts1
06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I don't like that Oladipo rumor at all. Not that I don't like the guy, or think he'll be a bust but....Deng is better now and will probably be better for the next 2-3 years. Oladipo is only this highly rated because every player has questions this year about their future success. And he's the only "safe" pick. He can't shoot, he's an alright driver. Terrific defender but...Deng is already one, and scores more easily/better.

Now if it was a hey "If McLemore is there we'd love to trade with you" That I could like. And I think there's a somewhat reasonable chance that could happen. But for Oladipo? Meh.

Hell even for Len or Noel. But Oladipo? :confusedshrug:

I would be ok with the proposed trade if it was McLemore, as well. But what about Porter? I don't know much about college players, so I'm not entirely sure on what his skill set is, but I see him mentioned, quite often, as a possible top 3 player.

Rose
06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
I would be ok with the proposed trade if it was McLemore, as well. But what about Porter? I don't know much about college players, so I'm not entirely sure on what his skill set is, but I see him mentioned, quite often, as a possible top 3 player.
I really like Porter. He's a versatile guy that does some of everything generally average with some of it good, and should get better at most of those things. One of those utility small forward guys like Iggy, Paul George before this year, Evan Turner, etc. But he played generally in the post at college, and is way too underweight to play there unless he develops into a stretch 4. He's got tweener height though at 6'9? I think.

But Woj is saying the Bulls are working on an extension for Deng now. I hope that's to keep him.

Bulls_Fan20
06-25-2013, 01:57 PM
But Woj is saying the Bulls are working on an extension for Deng now. I hope that's to keep him.

If I'm GarPax I don't give him a whiff of an extension until he fixes his wrist. In order to commit to him for 3-4 more years I want to know that the wrist won't be an issue. Also, how much is Deng asking for? I don't know if I'd go much more than $13 million/year, and an extension like that would hinder our cap flexibility going forward.

Rose
06-25-2013, 06:56 PM
If I'm GarPax I don't give him a whiff of an extension until he fixes his wrist. In order to commit to him for 3-4 more years I want to know that the wrist won't be an issue. Also, how much is Deng asking for? I don't know if I'd go much more than $13 million/year, and an extension like that would hinder our cap flexibility going forward.
I would be hesitant honestly to give him more than 10-11. 13 is what he made this year. That's top 30 player money, I don't think a particular salary should directly rate a player/expectations of the player, but players that range should give an idea of their value. He made LMA, J-Smoov, Brook Lopez money. I don't know if he's in that pay grade. Right below that where Noah and Batum are in the 10-11 range. That's solid. While a lot of what Deng means to the team is more than his 16-6 or whatever it was this year with terrific defense. You can replace a portion of that with a less talented player. Especially given the team's financial standing currently/new cap when factoring in next year's cap is coming in lower than expected.

If he thinks he can get 13+ on the open market, by all means he should do that for himself. But like Noah (and kinda Taj) if he really wants to stay and be close to a championship with a good chance to earn one in the next 5 or so years...he needs to take a decent pay cut or really earn a same size/bigger contract this upcoming year.

(e)
06-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Not related to the draft, but did anyone see what Nate was posting on twitter/Facebook today?

Talking about a 1-2 punch with Rose and himself next year.

I've felt like he was all but gone due to cap situations. Would be sick to get him to comeback. I became a huge Nate fan watching him throughout the year.

ljsbb27
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Not related to the draft, but did anyone see what Nate was posting on twitter/Facebook today?

Talking about a 1-2 punch with Rose and himself next year.

I've felt like he was all but gone due to cap situations. Would be sick to get him to comeback. I became a huge Nate fan watching him throughout the year.

I did see that. I don't know how much faith to put into it, but maybe it means his agent and the Bulls are trying to work something out or maybe his agent has received much interested around the league for whatever reason.

Whatever the reason it may be if we're able to bring him back at an affordable right i would most certainly welcome him back.

Him being our spark plug off the bench would be ideal, especially being in the backcourt with Kirk as a part of the second unit.
Nate could guard the backup pg and Kirk could guard the back up sg.

ljsbb27
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I would be hesitant honestly to give him more than 10-11. 13 is what he made this year. That's top 30 player money, I don't think a particular salary should directly rate a player/expectations of the player, but players that range should give an idea of their value. He made LMA, J-Smoov, Brook Lopez money. I don't know if he's in that pay grade. Right below that where Noah and Batum are in the 10-11 range. That's solid. While a lot of what Deng means to the team is more than his 16-6 or whatever it was this year with terrific defense. You can replace a portion of that with a less talented player. Especially given the team's financial standing currently/new cap when factoring in next year's cap is coming in lower than expected.

If he thinks he can get 13+ on the open market, by all means he should do that for himself. But like Noah (and kinda Taj) if he really wants to stay and be close to a championship with a good chance to earn one in the next 5 or so years...he needs to take a decent pay cut or really earn a same size/bigger contract this upcoming year.

Ideally Deng should take 8-9 million per year in my honest opinion. I know it's not his fault, but fact is we overpaid him during his current contract. If he really wants to stay here than I don't see why he wouldn't take a pay cut. He seems like the type that would. But with that being said I wouldn't blame him if he chased more money if a team offered it to him and like others have said if he does get an offer like that he should go for it.

ljsbb27
06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Excited for the draft tomorrow.

I know there's been some rumors and there normally is surrounding our Bulls but i could see us making a splash either way.

If we make a trade i think it'll show the direction of where we're going this offseason.

If we don't i think we do a nice job of finding a quality player at #20.

ljsbb27
06-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I really like Porter. He's a versatile guy that does some of everything generally average with some of it good, and should get better at most of those things. One of those utility small forward guys like Iggy, Paul George before this year, Evan Turner, etc. But he played generally in the post at college, and is way too underweight to play there unless he develops into a stretch 4. He's got tweener height though at 6'9? I think.

I would agree with either approach.. keeping Deng or trading him.

If the Bulls decide to keep him then I think now would be the time to complete an extension because his stock is somewhat low.

I know his stock could fall even lower, but if he has a great season it may drive up his price tag to the point where we lose him.

I'm still envisioning how good Rose, Butler and Deng could be defending the perimeter, but like I said I would understand if he was moved (but I don't see it happening).

Rose
06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
My immediate reaction on Snell is::wtf:

He's a smooth player, but lazy. Has defensive tools but kinda meh. okay shooter.

I just assumed Franklin. Maybe Hardaway Jr.

But Snell doesn't really fit the Thibs style.

methusala
06-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Thin frame won't add much size or strength.

Haven't seen much of him, but first reaction was, 'huh?'

Crystallas
06-27-2013, 11:45 PM
http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/06/27/bulls-pick-new-mexicos-tony-snell-at-20/

Wait and see. If he can learn Thibs schemes, he'll be okay.

poido123
06-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Drafted Erik Murphy second round...

Florida Gator pick, big man, connection to Noah who played for the Gators. think those two will bond well :)

poido123
06-28-2013, 12:05 AM

Look up draftexpress, has a 2 minute clip on Snell.

Nice shooting stroke, athletic, long wing span, needs to build upper body. Hard to judge anything else from what i could see...

Go Getter
06-28-2013, 12:46 PM
My immediate reaction on Snell is::wtf:

He's a smooth player, but lazy. Has defensive tools but kinda meh. okay shooter.

I just assumed Franklin. Maybe Hardaway Jr.

But Snell doesn't really fit the Thibs style.
He has a 7 foot wingspan, defensive potential, and can shoot...why not?

Go Getter
06-28-2013, 12:53 PM

I don't think he can add much size but he can get much stronger than he currently is. Remember, KD couldn't bench the bar his rookie year lol.

Check out these highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtDFnv2T5UM

13 straight points to lead his team to the MWC title? I think his success is incumbent on his work. He may be a solid player--I truly think it is possible. I remember I wasn't too high on Taj or Jimmy when the Bulls drafted them but they turned out great. I'm going to be rooting for young Snell.

Rose
06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
He has a 7 foot wingspan, defensive potential, and can shoot...why not?
Chad Ford really hit the nail on the head.

"Analysis: The Bulls really wanted a swingman and selected Snell, a workout wonder. Because Reggie Bullock, Allen Crabbe and Tim Hardaway Jr. were on the board, all three of whom have better track records, I was a little surprised that Snell was the pick. He might have more upside, but his lack of consistency on both ends is concerning. The Bulls filled a need, but I don't think they got the best guy to do it."

It's not a bad pick, just more of a why? type thing.

Go Getter
06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

"Analysis: The Bulls really wanted a swingman and selected Snell, a workout wonder. Because Reggie Bullock, Allen Crabbe and Tim Hardaway Jr. were on the board, all three of whom have better track records, I was a little surprised that Snell was the pick. He might have more upside, but his lack of consistency on both ends is concerning. The Bulls filled a need, but I don't think they got the best guy to do it."

Again, how will ne not fit?

Idk if all three have better track records, Tim Hardaway was wildly inconsistent at times, and I figure Snell was the best that they worked out. Leading college in pull up J percentage is not anything ot sneeze at and we need shooting. Pow.

plus, he has Pippen-like wingspan...in this system, if he works on his body, he can be a Leonard type guy with range. Sounds good to me and makes Deng expendable so we can get a 2, 4, or backup 5.

Crystallas
06-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Chad Ford shouldn't be writing about consistency. Snell is one of the more consistent players in the draft. If he has one quality that anyone can clearly point out, it is his consistency.

Anyhow, I linked to my full report on Snell earlier in the post.

Rose
06-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Again, how will ne not fit?

Idk if all three have better track records, Tim Hardaway was wildly inconsistent at times, and I figure Snell was the best that they worked out. Leading college in pull up J percentage is not anything ot sneeze at and we need shooting. Pow.

plus, he has Pippen-like wingspan...in this system, if he works on his body, he can be a Leonard type guy with range. Sounds good to me and makes Deng expendable so we can get a 2, 4, or backup 5.
He has a reputation (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Snell-18408/) of being lazy. It's a team of hard workers, he's got the wingspan and maybe he'll have the body to be a good defender, but right now he's not. Does he fill a need? Sure. He's a solid shooter, has a nice ball IQ with his ability to score off screens. He's a good passer, and has some tools. He's a fit for the time of player we need, sure. But a Thibs player? he's got a ways to go most likely. That's why I don't think he's a fit.

But is he as good at shooting as Bullock? No.
Does he have the scoring ability of Hardaway? no.
Scoring/shooting ability of Crabbe? no.
or hell if you want to talk defense: defense of Franklin? Not even close.

I don't think the pick was bad, just kinda shocking. I get that he can be better than all the guys taken over him, there's just guys that were on the board that are already better at doing things that are needed. He's got the best ceiling of the guys that were still on the board, but he'll also have the most work to do compared to other guys.

I think he can get there, because for a lazy guy this is the right team to be on, Noah, Thibs, Taj, Kirk, Jimmy are all gonna be on his ass to make hustle plays. But there's lots of lazy players that don't make it.

Chad Ford shouldn't be writing about consistency. Snell is one of the more consistent players in the draft. If he has one quality that anyone can clearly point out, it is his consistency.

Anyhow, I linked to my full report on Snell earlier in the post.
Let me start off by saying I enjoyed your article and thought it was a solid one.

But the guy has a reputation not just with ESPN, but the draftexpress article I linked and nbadraft.net (lol). Here's an SI one (http://nba.si.com/2013/06/27/tony-snell-nba-draft-2013/)

ljsbb27
06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Initially I was surprised when Tony Snell was the pick because going in I liked Hardaway Jr and Reggie Bullock more and they were both still on the board.

After doing a little more research and thinking about it some I could see why the Bulls organization and the coaching staff would lean towards Snell.

The kid is a shooter. Period. Very smooth and almost picture perfect stroke. Potential to be an elite shooter. Also important to note is that he's a good shooter in a lot of different circumstances. He can shoot off the dribble. He can spot up. He's excellent on curls and off of screens. Moves well without the ball to get to an open spot. He can play both SG and SF offensively and defensively. He dribbles better than what people give him credit for and he's also a better than average passer. Defensively he has the length/wingspan and quickness to be a versatile defender and fit in well with our team defense schemes.

He needs to add some muscle but he has the physical tools. He should get into the weight room with Jimmy.

I think the Bulls ultimately chose him because he has the potential to be a much better defender than Hardaway Jr and Bullock and we know how much Thibs and his staff values defense. Although primarily being a shooter he can turn into a very good defender. He can turn into the next Kawhi Leanord which is a player he's getting compared to a lot but i can see that happening.

A lot of the issues with him are mental. He's not assertive at all times. Needs to be more focused and play harder for the entirety of the game. That's something he knows he needs to improve on. With that being said with Thibs the staff and our roster it's the perfect environment for him to be in and learn from. Being on our team will get the best out of him.

Love the pick and see him turning into a very good player here.

Crystallas
06-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Let me start off by saying I enjoyed your article and thought it was a solid one.

But the guy has a reputation not just with ESPN, but the draftexpress article I linked and nbadraft.net (lol). Here's an SI one (http://nba.si.com/2013/06/27/tony-snell-nba-draft-2013/)

Thanks for the kind words. But I'm not backing down. Tony Snell is very consistent. The issue is scouting a multiple position player who faces multiple matchups on consistency. And for all of the roles Snell played, he was very consistent. Maybe I can get you on my side here, and point out one issue with these armchair scouts(yes, I'm one too :( ), they try to set up a baseline criteria by position, and not the challenges they have faced. When you want to measure consistency for a player that shifts from guard to forward(IMO the biggest gap in player roles), you have to follow progression from year to year, and how they adjust from first meetings to second meetings within their conference. What's amazing, is Snell was going from easy matchups to part-time matchups against the #1 pick in Bennett(3 times in his final year), and Snell was able to play his roles in all situations, as well as find room for elevation. The way he progressed shows his trend-lines moving normal as far as production, to steadily increasing in the last month of the year. Also factor in that he is not good at creating his own shots on offense, so if his teammates aren't finding him open, he's forcing a lot of shots.

Snell went on to land pre-draft workouts with a few teams, and was called back for each one. All of which, his results were consistent with his initial workout. We know his shooting is consistent, his footwork is consistent, and everything he does within the roles he has been asked of to be consistent, then I would think that makes him consistent. And when his box-score numbers aren't consistent, you can track most of his struggles within the matchups. He isn't perfect as far as being consistent, but in this draft, he is one of the most consistent players. Our issue is developing him so he has a broader set of skills, which will give him better options on the court.

Something I should have added to the article. New Mexico also had distracted coaches. Alford(whom deserves a shot at UCLA) was targeted by bigger programs all year. The guy they replaced him with, Craig Neal, was their big x-o's guy, Craig Neal, schemes a lot of baseline style offense. However, Alford was still the playcaller in the Snell's first two seasons and he was a big swing-style offense play caller. That is a big change for any player to deal with. I think Snell did a pretty good job of it, mainly because the baseline style requires pieces that New Mexico did not have.

Rose
06-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the kind words. But I'm not backing down. Tony Snell is very consistent. The issue is scouting a multiple position player who faces multiple matchups on consistency. And for all of the roles Snell played, he was very consistent. Maybe I can get you on my side here, and point out one issue with these armchair scouts(yes, I'm one too :( ), they try to set up a baseline criteria by position, and not the challenges they have faced. When you want to measure consistency for a player that shifts from guard to forward(IMO the biggest gap in player roles), you have to follow progression from year to year, and how they adjust from first meetings to second meetings within their conference. What's amazing, is Snell was going from easy matchups to part-time matchups against the #1 pick in Bennett(3 times in his final year), and Snell was able to play his roles in all situations, as well as find room for elevation. The way he progressed shows his trend-lines moving normal as far as production, to steadily increasing in the last month of the year. Also factor in that he is not good at creating his own shots on offense, so if his teammates aren't finding him open, he's forcing a lot of shots.

Snell went on to land pre-draft workouts with a few teams, and was called back for each one. All of which, his results were consistent with his initial workout. We know his shooting is consistent, his footwork is consistent, and everything he does within the roles he has been asked of to be consistent, then I would think that makes him consistent. And when his box-score numbers aren't consistent, you can track most of his struggles within the matchups. He isn't perfect as far as being consistent, but in this draft, he is one of the most consistent players. Our issue is developing him so he has a broader set of skills, which will give him better options on the court.

Something I should have added to the article. New Mexico also had distracted coaches. Alford(whom deserves a shot at UCLA) was targeted by bigger programs all year. The guy they replaced him with, Craig Neal, was their big x-o's guy, Craig Neal, schemes a lot of baseline style offense. However, Alford was still the playcaller in the Snell's first two seasons and he was a big swing-style offense play caller. That is a big change for any player to deal with. I think Snell did a pretty good job of it, mainly because the baseline style requires pieces that New Mexico did not have.
You bring up some good points in your second and third paragraphs. I didn't think about those. I might try and see if I can find his games versus Bennett.

Crystallas
06-29-2013, 03:08 AM
You bring up some good points in your second and third paragraphs. I didn't think about those. I might try and see if I can find his games versus Bennett.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/new-mexico/2013-schedule.html