PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best future - Rose / Wall / Irving / Stephen Curry / Lillard ?

Human Error
03-26-2013, 06:40 PM
While the league currently lacks quality back to the basket big men, there are lots of great young playmakers. How would you rank those 5 players in terms of future accolades / performances? For me it looks as below.

1. Kyrie Irving
2. John Wall
3. Derrick Rose
4. Stephen Curry
5. Damian Lillard

tikay0
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't want to see Wall anywhere above #5.

scm5
03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
To me:

1. Irving
2. Curry
3. Rose
4. Lillard
5. Wall

Rose is only 3rd because his future w/ an ACL tear like that is up in the air, especially because one of his biggest assets was his athleticism and we don't know how he's going to recover from that injury.

Irving and Curry are pretty close, with Curry being better right now. I do see more upside with Irving than Curry, with Curry's ankle issues and just Kyrie performing like this at such a young age.

Wall is the least impressive of the bunch. He needs to work on a lot of things to catch up to the rest of the group. He's the best passer, but only marginally better than Rose and just a step better than Curry, Irving, and Lillard. High turnover too, so maybe not even the best passer of the bunch, just the most risky passer.

Boogey
03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
1. Irving
2. Curry
3. Rose
4. Wall
5. Lillard

This list is based on future numbers.

I'd have curry at number 1, except his ankle is plastic. Plus he plays a more traditional pg roll w/ an uptempo team. Rose is the dark horse here because he's coming back from injury. Wall has the height advantage over all these guys, so in a h2h matchup I see him excelling, but he seems to never live up to his potential. If things work in his favor and he gets out of WAS he could move up. Lillard is right in the thick of things here, but based on potential, he's a little more average than the other 4 guys. Lastly, kyrie Irving. It looks as if he's been in the nba longer than any of these guys. Just very poise. Other than curry, he's the only other guy that can give you '12 assists' in a classic 40 point game.

SyRyanYang
03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Westbrook >>>>

KyrieTheFuture
03-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Irving
Rose
Curry
Wall
Lillard

tazb
03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
No offense but :lol @ anyone having Curry at #4 let alone top 3, he's lucky to even play a full season. The same (so far) goes for Irving.

1) Lillard
2a) Rose
2b) Wall
4) Irving
5) Curry

ortonsaw
03-26-2013, 07:32 PM
1. lillard
2. wall
3. irving
4. curry
5. rose

raid09
03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
No offense but :lol @ anyone having Curry at #4 let alone top 3, he's lucky to even play a full season. The same (so far) goes for Irving.

1) Lillard
2a) Rose
2b) Wall
4) Irving
5) Curry

What??

Curry has missed 14 games over 3 seasons, and has had one injury plagued season.
Rose has missed 4 games over 3 seasons, and has had two injury plagued seasons.
Wall has missed 13 games over 2 seasons, and has had one injury plagued season.
Irving has missed a bunch of games in the past two seasons.

Huge difference. :rolleyes:

noob cake
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
lol @ some poster not putting Irving at the top.

Irving was already on a different stratosphere as a 20 year old. Beside from Rose's MVP run (undeserved but a great season nevertheless), Irving's first two years >>> Lillard, Wall, Curry up to this point in their career/

Irving - 21 (birthday 3 days ago)
Lillard - 22 (23 this year)
Wall - 22 (23 this year)
Rose - 24 (25 this year)
Curry - 25

SacJB Shady
03-26-2013, 10:12 PM

1) Lillard
2a) Rose
2b) Wall
4) Irving
5) Curry

Rose has missed many more games than Curry. We need to get passed the past.

tazb
03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Rose has missed many more games than Curry. We need to get passed the past.

Torn ACL ≠ jello ankles.

imdaman99
03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
why isnt goatbrook on this list? :biggums:

oh i understand, you didn't want it to be a runaway :cheers:

1. rose - already has an mvp, could get more if he ever comes back and bulls get him a 2nd star
2. curry - great shooter, got his shitty college team to the final 4
3. lillard - already has the 'it' factor. numerous clutch shots
4. irving - clutch as hell, bad defender though and injury prone
5. wall - show me more, like the 47 pt game he had. his team needs to start winning, just like irvings

Spaulding
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Irving
Lillard
Curry
Wall
Rose

Droid101
03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Um, Curry is already better than all of those guys and is improving every year.

TylerOO
03-26-2013, 11:03 PM
http://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/john-wall-dougie-o.gif

rknine15
03-26-2013, 11:06 PM
1. John Wall- He's been beasting lately
2. Derrick Rose- Can't forget what level he was at
3. Kyrie Irving- Amazing scorer, needs to work on everything else
4. Stephen Curry- Very good but isn't better then the players above
5. Damian Lillard- Good Rookie needs more experience

Bobcats2013
03-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Damian Lillard has the most potential. He's a perfect example of young man that thrives on pressure to make himself better. Then after that it's John Wall.

Kyrie, Rose, and Curry are all flash. They are superstars, but they aren't players that could possibly in the future lead teams to NBA championships.

Go Getter
03-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Damian Lillard has the most potential. He's a perfect example of young man that thrives on pressure to make himself better. Then after that it's John Wall.

Kyrie, Rose, and Curry are all flash. They are superstars, but they aren't players that could possibly in the future lead teams to NBA championships.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Your opinion is comical and questionable at best sir.

plowking
03-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Wall will be the best player out of the lot.
He is already the best defender and passer, has a good knack for scoring, and once his shooting catches up to that insane athleticism, I think he'll be a beast.

His impact on the game isn't represented in his stats either. Hes far more impactful than any numbers could suggest.

Diegio
03-27-2013, 12:21 AM
1) J.Wall
2) D.Lillard
3) K.Irving
4) D.Rose
5) S.Curry

LBJFTW
03-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Irving at #1 and it won't even be close. Westbrook will still be better in 5 years though.

livingby3's
03-27-2013, 12:35 AM
John Wall,
Steph Curry,
Kyrie Irving,
Derrick Rose,
Damian Lillard.

Wall impacts a great deal of the game, Irving not so much.
Curry's shooting will keep him in the top 4-7 when ranking point guard. And other than his D, he can basically do everything else. his Ankles problem is what will keep him from the top 3.
I know many are not going to agree with my list, but Rose is not going to be the same, Lillard is in his rookie year, unproven.

tikay0
03-27-2013, 01:01 AM

Damian Lillard is the one to lead their team to a championship??? :wtf:

GreatGreg
03-27-2013, 01:12 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rekindled
03-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Irving at #1 and it won't even be close. Westbrook will still be better in 5 years though.

Wall has the highest potential. he is already by far the best defender on this list. also did u guys know that Wall is younger than Lillard?

Bucket_Nakedz
03-27-2013, 01:34 AM
i like kyrie. but please, don't throw rose's name to dudes who have accomplished nothing. when any of them win mvp and lead their team to the best nba record back to back seasons and a conference finals. then, we'll talk.

Graviton
03-27-2013, 01:38 AM
You forgot to put in the guy that actually has the highest chance at a championship and playoff success in next 5-7 years, Russel Westbrook.

What exactly is Wall's future with the Wizards? :oldlol:
What is Kyrie gonna do with the Cavs? :roll:
Where is Lilard headed with the Blazers? To the rehab center in a year or two?

Curry is just a shooter, nothing more. And has never even been to the playoffs. We have seen how he is exposed when playing against physical defensive teams that take out his 3 point shot.

Rose is the only guy that can match up with Westbrook on both ends AND is on a real contending team that has had playoff success with him.

So...

1) Rose
2) Curry
3) Wall
4) Kyrie
5) Lilard

Go Getter
03-27-2013, 01:40 AM
If Wall leads the Wiz to the playoffs I'll be the first to tip my hat....until then I think he's a bit overrated.

Legends66NBA7
03-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Rose is the only guy that can match up with Westbrook on both ends AND is on a real contending team that has had playoff success with him.

This is also depends if he's 100% and back to his MVP form.

I disagree with Curry being just a shooter.

plowking
03-27-2013, 01:51 AM
If Wall leads the Wiz to the playoffs I'll be the first to tip my hat....until then I think he's a bit overrated.

With him the line up they're a winning team this season. By a good margin too. He would be doing it already if not for the injury.

Graviton
03-27-2013, 01:56 AM
This is also depends if he's 100% and back to his MVP form.

I disagree with Curry being just a shooter.
100% Rose was a monster and outplayed every other elite PG for 2 seasons straight.

Even if he comes back 90%, he will still be better than 99% of them.

The thing is Rose doesn't just rely on his athleticism, he actually has tons of dribble moves and fakes along with the best floater in the game that he can get off anytime without momentum, which extends to 10-14 feet. He usually goes glass on his lay ups so that will be there too.

His only tough matchups will be Wall and Westbrook.

Sarcastic
03-27-2013, 02:08 AM

No you won't. You'll still call him unathletic.

Kyrie, Lillard, and Curry have never led their team to the playoffs. Do you knock them for that?

Bobcats2013
03-27-2013, 02:35 AM

He's going to be a future ATG. Give him a few years you'll see. Portland will be a playoff team by next year, bank on it.

Go Getter
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
No you won't. You'll still call him unathletic.

Kyrie, Lillard, and Curry have never led their team to the playoffs. Do you knock them for that?
1. I say Wall is athletic, but not the athlete they projected him to be vertically...speed wise yes, but he doesn't have that wow factor Rw has or Rose and Francis had.

2. I do knock them but Wall has an easier path the playoffs being in the east. My point was I'd take Wall over Kyrie and Curry if he can blossom into a leader.

ThunderStruk022
03-27-2013, 02:57 AM
lol @ some poster not putting Irving at the top.

Irving was already on a different stratosphere as a 20 year old. Beside from Rose's MVP run (undeserved but a great season nevertheless), Irving's first two years >>> Lillard, Wall, Curry up to this point in their career/

Irving - 21 (birthday 3 days ago)
Lillard - 22 (23 this year)
Wall - 22 (23 this year)
Rose - 24 (25 this year)
Curry - 25
lol @ noob cake for lol'ing at posters for not having the same extreme Duke bias as him.

And no Westbrook OP? Really? A 24 year old PG averaging 23-7-5-2 the last 2 years, 23-8-5-2 this year, and for stretches of both seasons he's carried and been the best player on arguably the best team in the West.

Yeah, let's not include that guy. That'd be silly.

ThunderStruk022
03-27-2013, 03:06 AM

No, they actually lost in the Elite 8. But that was the year all 4 1-seeds made the Final 4. Curry did damn near beat a loaded Kansas team in the Elite 8, though, and Kansas went on to beat the shit out of UNC in the Final 4 then won the national championship game over Memphis.

That was Curry and a bunch of solid D1 ballers, against Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Cole Aldrich, think Darrell Arthur was on the team, and other guys like Darnell Jackson and Sherron Collins who at least spent a little bit of time in the NBA. None of the other players on Davidson sniffed the NBA, and they still only lost to Kansas by 2.

entropy35
03-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Man why are some of ya'll disrespecting Rose and Wall.

I probably go rose first then Wall then a big gap. I think those two will have one of the better teams and wall can make a 5-28 team go 21-16, now that's impressive. Rose can take a good team to an elite team.

IF you included Westbrook i would take him first. That guy is stupid good with a great team.

Brickz187
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Westbrook, Rose & Wall are the only ones who matter in that group. I know Westbrook wasn't included in the initial post, but Westbrook should be in this list. Irving has a chance, other than that Curry has ankles made of pudding and Lillard is still in his rookie year.

Rekindled
03-27-2013, 11:02 AM

they would be fighting for home court in the east had he played the whole season

toneloc103
03-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Has anyone stopped to think that Wall might be playing at this level because it is his contract year?

scm5
03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
100% Rose was a monster and outplayed every other elite PG for 2 seasons straight.

Even if he comes back 90%, he will still be better than 99% of them.

The thing is Rose doesn't just rely on his athleticism, he actually has tons of dribble moves and fakes along with the best floater in the game that he can get off anytime without momentum, which extends to 10-14 feet. He usually goes glass on his lay ups so that will be there too.

His only tough matchups will be Wall and Westbrook.

Actually, I found out sometime last season that Rose has the toughest time against Curry.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=rosede01&p2=curryst01

I know the sample isn't large, 5 games. They only play each other twice a year (once last year I believe)... but Curry gives Rose problems. He actually does better against Rose than Rondo, Westbrook, or CP3 do. He holds Rose to less points, a lower FG%, and more turnovers.

Rondo:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=rosede01&p2=rondora01

Westbrook:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=rosede01&p2=westbru01

Wall:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=rosede01&p2=walljo01

Paul:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=rosede01&p2=paulch01

Something to note: The Warriors haven't been a good defensive team for a while, whereas Boston and Chicago have been some of the best defensive teams the league has seen recently.

DukeDelonte13
03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Has anyone stopped to think that Wall might be playing at this level because it is his contract year?

i think wall is just improving.

as it goes for Kyrie v. Wall its most likely gonna be about which of their respective teams does better.

And man do people seem to forget the Rose has had the luxury of having a pretty decent team around him while Kyrie and Wall are playing on injury riddled squads in the midst of their respective rebuilds.

scm5
03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Westbrook, Rose & Wall are the only ones who matter in that group. I know Westbrook wasn't included in the initial post, but Westbrook should be in this list. Irving has a chance, other than that Curry has ankles made of pudding and Lillard is still in his rookie year.

I think Westbrook wasn't included in the list because despite being young, most people think he's already made it and there are no question marks about him.

Rose was right there with him on that short list, but his injury puts a question mark next to him. He was playing at a very elite level, but if his injury hurts his play even a little, he could be averaging numbers around the rest of the group he was just put in.

Also, I don't understand how you can say that Rose and Wall are the only ones that matter in that group.

Wall, in his third season, is the second worst player in the group right now. Lillard is the only one that you can argue is worse than Wall and Lillard has more upside than Wall does at this point. Lillard is much more composed as a player and has a much better jumper than Wall.

Sarcastic
03-27-2013, 11:28 AM

It's not his contract year. He is signed through the 2014 season. And even if it was, he would be restricted.

tontoz
03-27-2013, 11:30 AM

No, because his contract year is next year. :facepalm

steve
03-27-2013, 01:31 PM

If you watch his game, he's really not doing much different other than hitting his jump shot (which in turn, has allowed to be less tentative on offense) and he finally has his legs under him and his conditioning close to its normal levels. If you pay attention to him, you'd know this is really just a natural progression before. I never quite got where the idea about his lack of work ethic came from anyway.

Also, exactly why would Lillard have more upside than Wall? He's not quite as athletic as Wall, and he's not the passer or defender Wall is on top of being older than Wall.

ralph_i_el
03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
why isnt goatbrook on this list? :biggums:

oh i understand, you didn't want it to be a runaway :cheers:

1. rose - already has an mvp, could get more if he ever comes back and bulls get him a 2nd star
3. lillard - already has the 'it' factor. numerous clutch shots
4. irving - clutch as hell, bad defender though and injury prone
5. wall - show me more, like the 47 pt game he had. his team needs to start winning, just like irvings

He's been having a bunch of great games lately and they ARE winning. They have a winning record with Wall this year and a winning record with Wall+Nene last year.

anyone putting Lillard above Wall needs to pass the blunt on. Lillard got dropped into a vastly better situation than Wall or Irving. It's way easier to play well as a young pg with a great big and two wings who can shoot 3's all day.

tontoz
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Lillard is taking 6 three pointers a game. That isn't what i am looking for in a pg.

I think Wall has more pg skills than all of those guys. The big question mark has always been his jumper.

He is shooting 48% this month from 10+ feet. If he can continue to shoot over 40% on jumpers i would take him over all those guys. That is a big if though. Before this month he generally shot around 30% on jumpers.

pegasus
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Rose
Irving

Lillard
Curry
Wall

3peated
03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
pretty sure only 1 of these guys has seen a playoff game in person

lilojmayo
05-11-2013, 03:13 AM
While the league currently lacks quality back to the basket big men, there are lots of great young playmakers. How would you rank those 5 players in terms of future accolades / performances? For me it looks as below.

1. Kyrie Irving
2. John Wall
3. Derrick Rose
4. Stephen Curry
5. Damian Lillard

Wow that's a tough one. All of these players are unique in their own way. Very tough to rank.

I think Kyrie Irving has the highest ceiling he is simply too much of a matchup nightmare. he can get anywhere he wants to on the court , because of his absurd ball handling ability. he can finish with either hand. And is the Youngest of the crew at only 21 years old.

John Wall may have the highest statistical ceiling in terms of PPG/APG/RPG/SPG/BPG

Stephen Curry right now is playing at the same level if not higher than Derrick Rose's MVP season. Let's keep that in mind, but Curry doesn't have the athleticsm the other players have. You can put a bigger guy on Curry and it bothers him as we see in the Spurs series.

Damian Lillard is a great player, but just a notch below all the other four from a talent and ceiling perspective. No shame in that though.

From what i've seen

1. Kyrie Irving
2. Derrick Rose
3. Stephen Curry
4. John Wall
5. Damian Lillard

Clifton
05-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Lillard is the only one who will be an impact player at 30. Wall relies completely on athleticism and plays out of control; he'll get hurt or burn out. Irving and Curry are made of glass, unfortunately. Rose? Who knows. At the moment we can't confidently predict anything other than Grant Hill 2.0.

Lillard is the kind of player who does really big things and never gets worse. As he gets older and slower, he'll get wiser. If I had to pick one of these guys it'd be Lillard. I just don't have any confidence in any of the others. For Curry and Irving, it's not their fault, and who knows maybe their injury days are over. I doubt it though.

CavaliersFTW
06-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Time to reevaluate your lists