To show who invented the Eurostep :confusedshrug:

Figlo
03-29-2013, 09:11 PM
To show who invented the Eurostep :confusedshrug:

Video proves nothing lol

CavaliersFTW
03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
This is going to make Euroleague so mad. lol
I don't see why he would be mad. Even he would agree the only thing Europeans brought to the NBA is flopping - their influence on the league has been mostly a negative one. They even tried to steal credit for "inventing" Elgin Baylor's move but really all they did was copy it and call it their own.

CavaliersFTW
03-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Video proves nothing lol
Alright so then Elgin didn't invent it, Manu did right? :confusedshrug:

steve franchise
03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't see why he would be mad. Even he would agree the only thing Europeans brought to the NBA is flopping - their influence on the league has been mostly a negative one. They even tried to steal credit for "inventing" Elgin Baylor's move but really all they did was copy it and call it their own.

Posts like these is why Jeff needs to bring back the rep system. Realest shit ever said. Future repped. :applause:

Euroleague
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM

That's funny. Considering that Divac claimed Yugoslavian national team learned flopping from watching tapes of NBA games.

And no one from Europe ever made any claim that they invited the "Euro step", or even named it that.

It was NBA announcers, sports writers, players, coaches, etc. from the USA that claimed it was a European move and called it the "Eurostep".

It was not anyone in Europe that did that.

However, it is in fact American NBA fans that generally claim that, "Americans invented basketball"........even though a Canadian did.

And nice try at the racist bait thread, but your IQ is so low - much TOO LOW to succeed at that.

CavaliersFTW
03-29-2013, 09:29 PM
That's funny. Considering that Divac claimed Yugoslavian national team learned flopping from watching tapes of NBA games.

And no one from Europe ever made any claim that they invited the "Euro step", or even named it that.

It was NBA announcers, sports writers, players, coaches, etc. from the USA that claimed it was a European move and called it the "Eurostep".

However, it is in fact American NBA fans that generally claim that, "Americans invented basketball"........even though a Canadian did.

And nice try at the racist bait thread, but your IQ is so low - much TOO LOW to succeed at that.
damn I guess nothing gets by you :bowdown:

P.S. did Weems win MVP yet?

no pun intended
03-29-2013, 09:39 PM
The Eurostep was named not because Europeans invented it (which you obviously refuted), but because they popularized such a move that it has become more rampant among them.

gabepizza
03-29-2013, 09:43 PM

A Canadian living in America.

La Frescobaldi
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Elgin had that step right to the end of 1970 or '71.... that last injury in'71 just really did him in.

Another guy who is mostly forgot except for the name but who had a lot of stutter and flutter step in his game - Elvin Hayes.

It's mostly forgot because he was prototype power forward but he had an amazing step. Jabs, Euro-step... he had all the moves. He was so powerful going either way from the post that you just could not guard the dude. He would get his defender moving to defend his quick fake game and then just muscle right over guys. Had a big offensive arsenal. He could get guys to stumble when he was in his post game.... sort of "broke their ankles" from a stuttering post move!

Poetry
03-29-2013, 09:49 PM

I think he was part Aztec too.

CavaliersFTW
03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
I think he was part Aztec too.
Aztec / Canadian... - South American / North American :D

FKAri
03-29-2013, 10:05 PM
CavaliersFTW and Euroleague both piss me the *** off. Two sides of the same coin.

03-29-2013, 10:08 PM
The Eurostep is common the sport of team handball. It's a sport that has the same rule as basketball except you can take up to 3 steps. I was watching the Olympics and saw the same foot work as the "Eurostep."

CavaliersFTW
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
CavaliersFTW and Euroleague both piss me the *** off. Two sides of the same coin.
Awe come on where's your sense of humor :lol

Euroleague
03-30-2013, 05:48 AM

A Canadian that was a Canadian. But of course you are one of those ****ing morons that says "Americans invented basketball".

Graviton
03-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Euroleague is one of my favorite posters, I don't know why he gets so much hate. If you actually read his posts without bias, he sounds pretty reasonable. But yet he is the most hated for his opinions, even though some Kobe/Lebron tards here are worse than him. So what if he is a hybrid European Arkansas Assassin?

pauk
03-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Euro-step is just the more popular term for it... i am not sure why exactly, but when you think about that the move become very popular in Europe before it did in the NBA and that it still is a more popular/more used move in Europe today (players are abusing the hell out of it over here and outside Europe aswell)... then you might understand somewhat...

CavaliersFTW
03-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Euro-step is just the more popular term for it... i am not sure why exactly, but when you think about that the move become very popular in Europe before it did in the NBA and that it still is a more popular/more used move in Europe today (players are abusing the hell out of it over here and outside Europe aswell)... then you might understand somewhat...
It isn't simply a more popular term, it is literally widely accepted that the move was invented in European basketball and is treated as a "recent" addition to the modern NBA game. Check out Wikipedia for example:

[QUOTE=Wikipedia]Developed in European basketball, the move is generally accepted to have been brought to the NBA by Lithuanian Šarūnas Marčiulionis, and was popularized in North America by Manu Gin

Euroleague
03-30-2013, 09:13 AM
It isn't simply a more popular term, it is literally widely accepted that the move was invented in European basketball and is treated as a "recent" addition to the modern NBA game. Check out Wikipedia for example:

Not convincing enough? How about the New York Times doing an entire story on the "Eurostep" and it's "European" origins:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/sports/basketball/18moves.html

And literally every other video on Youtube related to the Eurostep seems to be giving credit to Sarunas Marciulionis and Manu Ginobli as the fathers of the "Eurostep". So it's not just the common nickname - people literally just don't know how far back the move goes and who the first guy was to do it. Shit, maybe even Elgin wasn't the first guy to do it all I know is I have footage of 60's and 70's guys doing it and the oldest footage of a player doing it is Elgin Baylor. And he's American, not European, and he was doing it in the NBA 40 years before the term "Eurostep" was ever coined. I think the reason nobody has given him credit for the move up to this point is because they literally did not know or pay any attention that he or players of his era were doing this move or they didn't have the proof because film hasn't been readily available to confirm it until very recently.

**EDIT** Dave Bing also does a Eurostep in a 1967 Knicks vs Pistons game.

Americans are the ones claiming it was invented in Europe. Americans are the ones doing those edits to Wikipedia also.

This is typical of American NBA fans. They don't ever get a single fact right about European basketball history. So why would this be any different?

Marciolionis came to the NBA and used that as his go to move, and he was a damn good scorer, so the NBA announcers, sports writers, coaches, etc. started calling it "Euro step".

It's AMERICANS making these claims. This is called irony that you don't get this. It's the same kind of thing as when you for example say things like "Anthony Parker dominated Euroleague".

It's not true. It's a fantasy and a myth that American NBA fans create. Just like dozens of others about European basketball. The Euro step thing is just one of them.

The truth is that American NBA fans have created their own mythical version of the history of European basketball that is just a fantasy and untrue totally. The Euro step is just a part of it. Euro step American NBA fan mythology and fantasy about European basketball is very similar to the same myths of "pre injury Sabonis was the greatest center that ever lived".

It's not true and is just again some stupid fantasy concocted by American NBA fans. The irony is that you get ticked off at the Euro step myth, but yet you are one of the biggest ones to push the other myths like

"Langdon dominated Europe"
"Parker is Europe GOAT"

and on and on. It's all complete fantasy created out of the minds of American NBA media, announcers, sports writers, fans, etc. None if it is true. It's just NBA talking points to discuss basketball none of them ever saw and know nothing about.

Why would you expect Euro step history to be immune to this fake European basketball mythology that NBA has created? You even said in this thread that European players only brought flopping to the NBA.

Which is another untrue myth and fantasy. As Divac even admitted he and the Yugoslav players started doing it after they saw NBA players do it. And that was where it started in European basketball. The NBA players were flopping before it even was part of European basketball.

But there you go with the, "Euros created flopping in the NBA" stuff. If you create all of these false and untrue mythologies about European basketball, eventually all facts related to it are going to be distorted and that will eventually overlap into NBA history as well, as it has with the Euro step history.

pauk
03-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Not convincing enough? How about the New York Times doing an entire story on the "Eurostep" and it's "European" origins:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/sports/basketball/18moves.html

And literally every other video on Youtube related to the Eurostep seems to be giving credit to Sarunas Marciulionis and Manu Ginobli as the fathers of the "Eurostep". So it's not just the common nickname - people literally just don't know how far back the move goes and who the first guy was to do it. Shit, maybe even Elgin wasn't the first guy to do it all I know is I have footage of 60's and 70's guys doing it and the oldest footage of a player doing it is Elgin Baylor. And he's American, not European, and he was doing it in the NBA 40 years before the term "Eurostep" was ever coined. I think the reason nobody has given him credit for the move up to this point is because they literally did not know or pay any attention that he or players of his era were doing this move or they didn't have the proof because film hasn't been readily available to confirm it until very recently.

**EDIT** Dave Bing also does a Eurostep in a 1967 Knicks vs Pistons game.

Wikipedia.... you know thats not a good source to trust to 100% right? I can go in and change all those "facts" right now... :)

I think the "euro-step" got "invented" long time ago even before Baylor.... when a random player which we will never know was about to do a layup, took his first step, saw the defender right infront of him and instinctively just changed direction to avoid the charge.... later that guy & everybody else around him who saw that thought: "Hey, thats not a bad idea!"... and more players started to use it... coaches started to teach it to their youths... The "move" was seen/used, but the "move" only got that name (Euro-Step for example) much later and got more and more popular later.... same story for many other named "moves"...

Whoah10115
03-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Euroleague is making valid points. This is an American claim and therefore it's completely unfair to bring up it up as a finger-point to European basketball. It's also unfair to call out Euroleague, as he wasn't even present in this thread, and if the goal of the thread is to call attention and pay credit to Baylor -while more accurately recalling the history of the move- then making fun of Euroleague only detracts from your thread. It may as well turn into a LeBron/Kobe thread.

La Frescobaldi
03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Wikipedia.... you know thats not a good source to trust to 100% right? I can go in and change all those "facts" right now... :)

I think the "euro-step" got "invented" long time ago even before Baylor.... when a random player which we will never know was about to do a layup, took his first step, saw the defender right infront of him and instinctively just changed direction to avoid the charge.... later that guy & everybody else around him who saw that thought: "Hey, thats not a bad idea!"... and more players started to use it... coaches started to teach it to their youths... The "move" was seen/used, but the "move" only got that name (Euro-Step for example) much later and got more and more popular later.... same story for many other named "moves"...

Except, to support CAVSftw on this, the entire NBA of those days credited Elgin Baylor directly as the inventor of dozens of offensive moves. All my older friends, their dads, uncles, coaches, NBA players.... everybody that watched or played pro hoops in the 50s and early 60s is just about unanimous that it was Baylor who invented many of the offensive skills.

I started watching a little later, see, than like my brothers... I started watching after Baylor had his ruinous injury. Connie Hawkins is the guy that I remember as being so inventive and creative, Connie & Dr. J over in the ABA.... Thing about Hawkins - nobody was ever able to copy his game because it was based on that simple fact of his hands, and really Dr. J's best game is also cannot be copied for the same reason. Guys just don't come along with hands that size.

Rick Barry was doing things that really weren't new but his execution was so flawless that even if you knew what he was going to do you couldn't stop it. And of course Pistol took that to an entirely different level. The Logo was the consummate player...........
But just about all those guys have said over the years that it was Elgin Baylor who showed the world what the possibilities were, what you could do, where basketball was going.

To me, it was Chamberlain who gave Elgin the biggest compliment, after he went to the Lakers; the greatest scorer in NBA history, the most crazy unstoppable player who has ever yet been seen.... Wilt started using Baylor's moves around the basket. I can remember announcers talking about Wilt's new repertoire and Bill Russell saying how 13 had taken a page out of the Baylor playbook.

A lot of guys complain about the decline of the post game in the NBA but it's really just changing styles. This is just another example of it.
Euroleague (and I mean the league not Mr. Crazed T) and players all over the world simply watched hours of old film of 70s NBA players to learn how to play - and they brought it back to America long after it was forgotten, after it had fallen out of style.

ZenMaster
03-30-2013, 12:37 PM

So wrong, 90% of NBA teams strategy these days are built on European strategies.

b0bab0i
03-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Flopping came from football/soccer?

b0bab0i
03-30-2013, 12:51 PM
A Canadian that was a Canadian. But of course you are one of those ****ing morons that says "Americans invented basketball".
Naismith was a Canadian-American.

Euroleague
03-31-2013, 09:13 PM

Yeah, but guys like Cavs use it for their basketball facts. Like the "Anthony Parker Euro GOAT" bullshit.