View Full Version : Durant vs Carmelo scoring race

JohnnySic
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Durant 28.3 ppg

Carmelo 28.1 ppg

Who's gonna win?

Scoooter
04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Haven't heard much about Durant lately while Melo seems to be coming on strong. Durant has to share touches and defer control of the ball to Westbrook; Melo does what he wants.

Melo could very well win his first (?) scoring title this year.

arifgokcen
04-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Durant will win it.I remember he was chucking last time to beat kobe.

He will and should do the same thing.4th straight scoring title is unprecented in this era

STATUTORY
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
with his first ever scoring title, Melo will cement his official legacy as the best scorer in the league

:bowdown:

Breezy
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I really hope they intentionally try to outscore each other. we haven't had a good old fashion scoring race in a while. Ala Robinson/Shaq. Or Gervin/Thompson

I hope they both have 50 point games the last day of the season. :cheers:

Real Men Wear Green
04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Durant is the better scorer. Melo is the hottest player in the game right now but he's going to come back down to earth. The x-factor is which team cares more about their playoff seed, NY in a tight race for #2 (right now with a half-game lead) while the Thunder are within range of #1 (1.5 back of SA) vs who wants to rest their star. He's definitely not "old" but Anthony is older than Durant and thus maybe could use the rest more. I'll go with Durant.

klee
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Durant is the better scorer. Melo is the hottest player in the game right now but he's going to come back down to earth. The x-factor is which team cares more about their playoff seed, NY in a tight race for #2 (right now with a half-game lead) while the Thunder are within range of #1 (1.5 back of SA) vs who wants to rest their star. He's definitely not "old" but Anthony is older than Durant and thus maybe could use the rest more. I'll go with Durant.

Aside from maybe your first sentence, this post is full of fail. :facepalm

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't ever see Melo winning anything.

Real Men Wear Green
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Aside from maybe your first sentence, this post is full of fail. :facepalm
Thanks for nothing. The "nothing" I refer to is the value of your opinion.

coin24
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I hope Melo gets it.. Sick of that overrated piece of shit Durant and his gifted points from fake whistles...

Whats with all the Melo hate on here lately :confusedshrug:

Sarcastic
04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Not surprised to see the usual Melo bashers make their way into this thread.

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I hope Melo gets it.. Sick of that overrated piece of shit Durant and his gifted points from fake whistles...

Whats with all the Melo hate on here lately :confusedshrug:

Whats with all your posts being absolutely terrible? Take a lap, boy.

#number6ix#
04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I gotta give the edge to melo he's making 15ft to 25ft jumpers look like layups.

All Net
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Will be close, depends if melo can keep up the hot streak.

Shepseskaf
04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Melo will take it. KD has to fight with RW for shots, but Melo does what he wants.

coin24
04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Whats with all your posts being absolutely terrible? Take a lap, boy.

That's rich coming from you. Trying so hard to troll all the time like a sad little attention seeking f@ggot...:oldlol:

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
That's rich coming from you. Trying so hard to troll all the time like a sad little attention seeking f@ggot...:oldlol:

Yea, you're mad :oldlol:

coin24
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Yea, you're mad :oldlol:

:banana: :banana:

Harison
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Durant IMO, although Melo could win it if hot streak continues.

arifgokcen
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
coin24
SilkkTheShocker

I am really wondering how old you two are.I would be suprised if you are over 16-17.

kNicKz
04-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Melo would average way more than Durant if he got a call every time someone breathed on him

uber
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Melo would average way more than Durant if he got a call every time someone breathed on him

this :applause:

iDunk
04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Hopefully Melo finally gets a scoring championship so those people saying he doesn't have one can shut up.

The championship is way more important though over a personal achievement.

BrickingStar
04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Hopefully Melo finally gets a scoring championship so those people saying he doesn't have one can shut up.

The championship is way more important though over a personal achievement.
Melo championship :lol

Knoe Itawl
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Durant 28.3 ppg

Carmelo 28.1 ppg

Who's gonna win?

Durant

Mr. I'm So Rad
04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Durant. He'll chuck like he did in the All Star game to get it if he has to.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Melo. Dude has been on a TEAR.

Ballin416
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Melo gonna take it as he's been on fire lately and he'll continue the hot streak towards the last 7 or 8 games of the season.

Durant meanwhile is probably more concerned with the 50/40/90 club and will probably be hesitant to chuck it up.

jimmy77x
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
You better believe durant has been watching Melo's hot streak and will start chucking away.

ShaqAttack3234
04-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Regardless of who gets the scoring title, it's been amazing watching Melo these last 2 games. More importantly, I just hope the Knicks continue to play as they should vs most of the teams on the schedule and really come to play for the 2 biggest games. Indiana towards the end of the season, and OKC on Sunday. The OKC game Sunday will be interesting if either player cares about the scoring title, but both players have much more important things to worry about with that game.

I really hope they intentionally try to outscore each other. we haven't had a good old fashion scoring race in a while. Ala Robinson/Shaq. Or Gervin/Thompson

Last year ended with Durant at 28.0 and Kobe at 27.9. That's about as good of a scoring race as you're going to get.

I hope they both have 50 point games the last day of the season. :cheers:

If playoff position is secure neither player should do it.

Melo will take it. KD has to fight with RW for shots, but Melo does what he wants.

Melo does get more shots because of how his team works, but what's been impressive about the last few games is how he's gotten his points. Didn't dominate the ball in the Miami game and took what the defense gave him, which was all mid-range and outside shots, but mostly good shots. Despite the 7 threes, he didn't fall in love with that shot and start gunning in the Atlanta game either, only attempted 2, and instead went to the basket with some of his better drives and finishes we've seen in a while. Still didn't take many bad shots or dominate the ball either. He hit some tough shots, but when he was doubled, he gave the ball up.

It's a lot more enjoyable watching him go off while playing intelligently. Seems like the game is really coming to him right now and he can do whatever he wants. But his hot streak hasn't been detrimental to the team, and other guys are getting their opportunities.

That being said, Durant may be due for a hot streak because he's cooled off since the all-star break, and he's playing well, he can get an easy 35-40.

DuMa
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Melo deserves it if he can continue to put up 35, 40, 50 pt games

Levity
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
i hope they both gun for it, seeing as i have them both on my fantasy team and finals is next week :banana:

Patrick Chewing
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Durant is the better scorer.

Disagree. There's a certain type of fluidity to Melo's game where he can just create any shot he wants and they just happen to go in. That, and the fact that Melo doesn't live on the line like Durant does. Next to Lebron, Melo is just as strong when taking it to the hole.

KG215
04-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Haven't heard much about Durant lately while Melo seems to be coming on strong. Durant has to share touches and defer control of the ball to Westbrook; Melo does what he wants.

Melo could very well win his first (?) scoring title this year.
That's because Durant hasn't played since Saturday. They had the women's NCAA tournament in OKC earlier in the week. Not real sure why they didn't just give OKC a road game or two in that time, but yeah, he hasn't played in awhile.

He scored 30 and 36 on a combined 23/38 shooting his last 2 games, though.

Kurosawa0
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I think Melo wants it, so he'll probably get it. Not sure if it matters to Durant.

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Im rooting for Melo. Maybe he can finally wins something.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Disagree. There's a certain type of fluidity to Melo's game where he can just create any shot he wants and they just happen to go in. That, and the fact that Melo doesn't live on the line like Durant does. Next to Lebron, Melo is just as strong when taking it to the hole.
Melo is a terrible finisher around the rim though.

KG215
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I'd say Melo is the more explosive scorer and Durant is the more consistent scorer. Even with his horrendous March (by his standards) Durant is still shooting .505/.410 from the field and 3P range, compared to .444/.378 for Carmelo.

But it just seems like Carmelo is more prone to these absurd games where he makes 4+ 3's and the vast majority of his mid-range jumpers. You almost never see Durant make 4+ 3's in a game (granted he's really toned down his 3PA/game this year).

jimmy77x
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Im an attention deprived virgin. Hopefully one day i will have the courage to leave my grandmothers basement and get some friends.

Cool story

nb4 silk robot response " you are legit mad"

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Melo deserves it if he can continue to put up 35, 40, 50 pt games

He doesn't deserve anything.

Patrick Chewing
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Melo is a terrible finisher around the rim though.

You obviously haven't been watching him this season. He's been finishing strong around the rim, plus the fact that he doesn't get the same amount of calls as Durant.

ShaqAttack3234
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM

One problem with that is he's been surprisingly poor finishing at the rim all season. He did a much better job last night, surprising considering Josh Smith guarded him quite a bit, but if Melo finished better, he may very well be the best scorer in the league. Because he doesn't, I have to say Durant is the better scorer right now.

I think Melo wants it, so he'll probably get it. Not sure if it matters to Durant.

What makes you say Melo cares about it? I'm not saying he doesn't, just that I haven't seen anything in particular to suggest he does. In the Miami game, he got some good looks with his jump shot and couldn't miss, and this continued throughout the game. Last night, he got going in the 1st by attacking the basket, hit a mid-range shot or 2, Josh Smith gambled for a steal leaving Melo wide open for a 3 which he hit.

In both games, he just kind of got hot from the start, and it kept going. He didn't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary to try to score as much as he can. In fact, he took better shots and played more unselfishly than he has in a ton of games where he ends up with just 25-30 points, it's just turned out that he's really hot right now.

You obviously haven't been watching him this season. He's been finishing strong around the rim, plus the fact that he doesn't get the same amount of calls as Durant.

I've been watching all season, and while it's true he doesn't get the calls Durant does, he has not been finishing strong around the rim. He's gotten his shot blocked a ton, and he misses a number of lay ups. He has a great second jump so sometimes he puts back his own miss. But I don't see how anyone could say Melo has been finishing strong this season.

The_Yearning
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Best scorer in the game yet hasn't won a scoring title his entire career.

Durant will take it.

Fudge
04-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I dont really care who takes it. Melo's been raping asses lately, i wouldnt be surprised if he takes it, but i'd rather have Durant keep up his 50/40/90 season than win another scoring title.

DuMa
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Jeff Caplan @Caplan_NBA about 1 hour ago

KD on Melo's hard charge toward the scoring title: "He can have it." Durant going for 4 in a row. Jordan last to do it w 7 ('86-'93).

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Hope Melo wins it. Be nice to see him with his first achievement.

ShaqAttack3234
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I dont really care who takes it. Melo's been raping asses lately, i wouldnt be surprised if he takes it, but rather have Durant keep up his 50/40/90 season than win another scoring title.

Last 2 seasons KD has had have been some of the best overall shooting lines for high scoring seasons.

Dirk
2006- 26.6 ppg on 48/41/90
2007- 24.6 ppg on 50/40/90

Peja
2004- 24.2 ppg on 48/43/93 (was actually 2nd in the league in scoring and NBA teams averaged 93.4 ppg on 43.9% that year)

Glen Rice
1997- 26.8 ppg on 48/47/87 (line was shortened, but led the league in 3P% that season)

Jordan
1990- 33.6 ppg on 53/38/85

Reggie
1990- 24.6 ppg on 51/41/87

Chris Mullin
1990- 25.1 ppg on 54/37/89

Bird
1988- 29.9 ppg on 53/4192
1987- 28.1 ppg on 53/40/91
1986- 25.8 ppg on 50/42/90
1985- 28.7 ppg on 52/43/88

That's pretty much the extent of what I could call high scoring seasons with really good % in all 3 categories. It's surprising since the 3 point line was introduced over 30 years ago. Only player whose had a season like Durant is having now as far as high ppg and the three shooting % is Bird.

So I'd like to see Durant get the official 50/40/90, and I can't imagine him failing to do so at 50.5 FG%, 41 3P% and 90.8 FT% and only 7 games remaining.

Man, you really hate Melo, don't you? This backhanded compliment and your comments in the other threads show you can't help yourself.

DuMa
04-04-2013, 03:32 PM

http://i48.tinypic.com/o57qjk.png

Fudge
04-04-2013, 03:39 PM
So I'd like to see Durant get the official 50/40/90, and I can't imagine him failing to do so at 50.5 FG%, 41 3P% and 90.8 FT% and only 7 games remaining.
He was at like 52% FG before the all-star break IIRC and just went down from there. He's been on a huge shooting slump. Luckily there's only 7 games left and he's picked up his shooting the past few games.

Real Men Wear Green
04-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Disagree. There's a certain type of fluidity to Melo's game where he can just create any shot he wants and they just happen to go in.Durant's shots go in too, and at a 6% higher rate.
That, and the fact that Melo doesn't live on the line like Durant does.
Durant only gets 1.7 more free throws per game. Meanwhile, to score less points, Anthony has averaged 3.9 more shots. Free throws are part of the game and both players do things to draw fouls and get to the line. That isn't something that should be held against KD. Anthony is great but Durant is the better scorer overall because he's more efficient.

tazb
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Jeff Caplan @Caplan_NBA about 1 hour ago

KD on Melo's hard charge toward the scoring title: "He can have it." Durant going for 4 in a row. Jordan last to do it w 7 ('86-'93).

Wow. :roll: :roll: Durant is such a fake tough guy holy shit.

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/o57qjk.png

Never gets old :oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
04-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I watch A LOT of Knicks games and no he hasn't. If he were a better finisher around the rim he would be close to being a better player than Durant imo. Here are the stats:

At rim:

Melo: 185/342 = 54.1%

KD: 213/291 = 73.2%

Bron: 371/480 = 77.3%

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 04:09 PM
I watch A LOT of Knicks games and no he hasn't. If he were a better finisher around the rim he would be close to being a better player than Durant imo. Here are the stats:

At rim:

Melo: 185/342 = 54.1%

KD: 213/291 = 73.2%

Bron: 371/480 = 77.3%
Where did this myth about Melo being "the best scorer" come from anyways. There's literally no evidence that would lead you in that direction.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Where did this myth about Melo being "the best scorer" come from anyways. There's literally no evidence that would lead you in that direction.

Charles Barkley is literally the first person I've EVER heard say that. :oldlol:

Melo is a fabulous scorer, no doubt, just not THE best....

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Charles Barkley is literally the first person I've EVER heard say that. :oldlol:

Melo is a fabulous scorer, no doubt, just not THE best....
Yeah, he's obviously good. He's putting up 28PPG on 49.8eFG%. That's pretty impressive, but he's not "the best scorer". IMO, he's like a top 10 scorer. Maybe top 5.

maybeshewill13
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Anyone know the amount of points Melo needs to make up based in tr numbers now?

ShaqAttack3234
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
He was at like 52% FG before the all-star break IIRC and just went down from there. He's been on a huge shooting slump. Luckily there's only 7 games left and he's picked up his shooting the past few games.

Yeah, looked like he probably would drop below 50% recently and potentially drop below 40% on 3s as well. Prior to the last 5 games he was at 50.2 FG% and 40.3 3P%

Durant only gets 1.7 more free throws per game. Meanwhile, to score less points, Anthony has averaged 3.9 more shots. Free throws are part of the game and both players do things to draw fouls and get to the line. That isn't something that should be held against KD. Anthony is great but Durant is the better scorer overall because he's more efficient.

The FT difference is big because Melo takes significantly more FGA. Durant gets a FTA for every 1.9 FGA he takes, while Melo gets a FTA for every 2.82 FGA he takes. A good way to put this in perspective is for the season, Melo and Durant have a similar amount of total FGA because Melo has missed 13 games. Melo has taken 1330 FGA and Durant has taken 1322. But Durant has attempted 696 free throws while Melo has only attempted 471.

I've considered Durant to be the clear cut 2nd best player behind Lebron the last 2 seasons, and the best scorer in the league, but I do think his FTA are excessive. I expect him to draw quite a few fouls because he does attack the basket a good amount, he is a very good finisher because of his length, he moves well without the ball which I've seen result in him catching passes right around the basket which will almost always result in a basket, a foul, or both for a good finisher and his jump shot is lethal, but nearly impossible to contest because of his length.

But these things were all true last season. There are a few differences in Durant this season. I'd say his ball-handling skills have gotten a bit better, and he handles the ball more in Harden's departure, plus, his jumper seems more automatic.

I thought this accounted for some of the increase in FTA except that Durant actually took slightly more shots at the rim last season(3.9 this season vs 4.2 last season) and slightly more shots 10 feet in last season(3.0 this season vs 3.1 last season) yet he's attempting 9.4 FT per game on 17.9 FGA vs 7.6 FTA on 19.7 FGA last season.

Last year he got to the line once for every 2.59 FGA as opposed to the aforementioned once for every 1.9 FGA this season. And as I said he's taken 1322 FGA this season and attempted 969 free throws. Compare that to 1297 FGA and just 501 free throws last season.

He's still the best scorer in the game and the 2nd best player in the game, but he's gone from getting to the line at a solid rate to an excessive rate without attacking the basket any more or playing closer than he did last season.

I strongly believe that he gets the benefit of A LOT of calls, more than other superstars and certainly more than Melo. I can give Durant his credit as a player, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't believe this. Both from the numbers and what I watch.

Yeah, he's obviously good. He's putting up 28PPG on 49.8eFG%. That's pretty impressive, but he's not "the best scorer". IMO, he's like a top 10 scorer. Maybe top 5.

Maybe a top 5 scorer? Other than Durant, Lebron and Kobe, who else can you put in his class as a scorer? Borderline top 5 scorer?

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Maybe a top 5 scorer? Other than Durant, Lebron and Kobe, who else can you put in his class as a scorer? Borderline top 5 scorer?
Harden is unquestionably in his class. A few other guys are debatable.

IMO I would say wade is better. He's more efficient, but Melo does average like 6 and a half more points, so ill just give it to Melo.

To me, Melo just doesn't have the efficiency of an "elite scorer". His eFG% is 49.8%. Not bad. Pretty good. But compare that to LeBron who's is 59.9% or durant who is 55.4%.

Even harden and Kobe who get slammed for inefficiency are both above 50%.

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Harden is unquestionably in his class. A few other guys are debatable.

IMO I would say wade is better. He's more efficient, but Melo does average like 6 and a half more points, so ill just give it to Melo.

To me, Melo just doesn't have the efficiency of an "elite scorer". His eFG% is 49.8%. Not bad. Pretty good. But compare that to LeBron who's is 59.9% or durant who is 55.4%.

Even harden and Kobe who get slammed for inefficiency are both above 50%.

I think Melo is clearly a better scorer than Harden. Wade? Come on. And who are those few other guys who you call debatable? At least Harden has the numbers, which seems to be what you're going by.

But you just said Melo's efficiency is pretty good, and he's second in the league in scoring, barely behind Durant. So great scoring totals on solid efficiency. Then you watch him play and look beyond the numbers and it's pretty clear why he gets so much praise as a scorer. Part of being a great scorer is being able to get your shot. And Melo is as good as anyone in that regard, and that's where his ability to beat you in so many ways comes in. That's why he's doubled so much.

By the way, I could care less if Kobe gets slammed for being inefficient. He's clearly been efficient for most of his career considering how much he scores and has the ball.

NumberSix
04-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I think Melo is clearly a better scorer than Harden. Wade? Come on. And who are those few other guys who you call debatable? At least Harden has the numbers, which seems to be what you're going by.

But you just said Melo's efficiency is pretty good, and he's second in the league in scoring, barely behind Durant. So great scoring totals on solid efficiency. Then you watch him play and look beyond the numbers and it's pretty clear why he gets so much praise as a scorer. Part of being a great scorer is being able to get your shot. And Melo is as good as anyone in that regard, and that's where his ability to beat you in so many ways comes in. That's why he's doubled so much.

By the way, I could care less if Kobe gets slammed for being inefficient. He's clearly been efficient for most of his career considering how much he scores and has the ball.
Is there anything else?:confusedshrug:

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 12:25 AM

:facepalm So you can judge players simply by looking at a computer screen? Right........

Fudge
04-05-2013, 12:26 AM
:facepalm

NumberSix
04-05-2013, 12:31 AM
:facepalm So you can judge players simply by looking at a computer screen? Right........
As scorer, yes. Obviously.

Oh, lemme guess. Stylish fade always and shooting over double teams counts more than simple easy shots.....

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 12:36 AM
As scorer, yes. Obviously.

So the offense the system they play in doesn't affect their numbers? Their teammates don't? How much they get doubled? How much they dominate the ball? None of these things can be shown in numbers and can greatly impact a player's scoring numbers.

Plus, there are certain player's whose regular season numbers are deceptive and have a part of their skill set exposed in the playoffs when you face tougher defenses and better teams on average, the same team a number of games in a row and less easy baskets are available. Karl Malone and David Robinson are perfect examples of this. Neither were as good as scorers as their regular season numbers suggest. I'd say the same thing about 2007 and 2008 Lebron actually. His poor shooting seemed to get exposed in the Spurs and Celtics series. No surprise that we've seen him maintain his play at a much higher level in the playoffs in some subsequent runs. Look at 2008 and 2009 Lebron, not much in the numbers to suggest he was a better scorer, but it's clear he was.

chazzy
04-05-2013, 12:45 AM
IMO I would say wade is better.
As a scorer? No case. The gap in volume is way too large

Graviton
04-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Doesn't Melo have the highest usage rate is the league? And Durant actually plays with a guy 2nd or 3rd in usage rate himself (Westbrook). :oldlol: \

The fact Durant scores so much so efficiently while basically having a Melo light on his team is amazing.

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Doesn't Melo have the highest usage rate is the league? And Durant actually plays with a guy 2nd or 3rd in usage rate himself (Westbrook). :oldlol: \

The fact Durant scores so much so efficiently while basically having a Melo light on his team is amazing.

It also takes some pressure off him compared to Melo who sees more doubles than Durant because he hasn't had as consistent of a scoring threat as what Durant has had. Jr was very good in November, and he's been very good the last fe weeks, but he was extremely inconsistent in between. Felton missed a month, and is only looking like the player he was before the injury the last few games and Amare of course has missed most of the season and had his minutes limited even when he was playing.

Rubio2Gasol
04-05-2013, 12:51 AM

If that computer screen is showing Live basketball :rockon:

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 12:51 AM
If that computer screen is showing Live basketball :rockon:

:oldlol: Yeah, I'll give you that.

Sarcastic
04-05-2013, 01:03 AM

Sarcastic
04-05-2013, 01:05 AM

I don't think you know what usage rate is. The fact that Melo's usage is so high without getting assists, shows how important his scoring is to the Knicks.

Graviton
04-05-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't think you know what usage rate is. The fact that Melo's usage is so high without getting assists, shows how important his scoring is to the Knicks.
Or how poor his passing skill and IQ is...:roll:

Just kidding.

SillyRabbit
04-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Melo missing 14 games this season definitely helps his bid for the scoring title, as everyone knows it's easier to maintain a higher PPG over a shorter amount of games.

In reality Durant has 2122 points to Carmelos 1715.

Just some food for thought.

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Melo missing 14 games this season definitely helps his bid for the scoring title, as everyone knows it's easier to maintain a higher PPG over a shorter amount of games.

In reality Durant has 2122 points to Carmelos 1715.

Just some food for thought.

It can definitely help him increase his scoring average more, but Melo's injuries have caused him to leave several games early such as the Cleveland game a month ago when he left after 14 minutes, or the Denver game when he played only 22 minutes and even earlier in the year when he scored 30 vs the Lakers, but left the game early with an injury limiting him to 23 minutes.

The Cleveland game in particular as well as the games vs the Warriors and Denver when he tried to come back too early lowered his scoring average. He'd be averaging about 29 ppg rather than 28 if not for those games.

Scholar
04-05-2013, 03:09 AM
Man, I still remember when he dropped 30 points on the Lakers a while back in just the first half before leaving with an injury. I'm rooting for Carmelo to win it just so he has a scoring title finally. The guy has been a top scorer for a long time now and his due is finally here.

I can imagine Durant going into chucking mode, though, like he did last season to win over KB24. That was pretty embarrassing.

dunksby
04-05-2013, 03:59 AM
Man, I still remember when he dropped 30 points on the Lakers a while back in just the first half before leaving with an injury. I'm rooting for Carmelo to win it just so he has a scoring title finally. The guy has been a top scorer for a long time now and his due is finally here.

I can imagine Durant going into chucking mode, though, like he did last season to win over KB24. That was pretty embarrassing.
What was truly embarrassing last season was what Durant did to Kobe in the playoffs.

NumberSix
04-05-2013, 04:26 AM
What was truly embarrassing last season was what Durant did to Kobe in the playoffs.
Ouch!!

coin24
04-05-2013, 04:31 AM

Kobe had a good series, shame the scrubs he was playing with decided not to show up:facepalm :facepalm

Hope Melo gets the scoring title... Westbrick >> Durant:oldlol:

Graviton
04-05-2013, 04:35 AM
It can definitely help him increase his scoring average more, but Melo's injuries have caused him to leave several games early such as the Cleveland game a month ago when he left after 14 minutes, or the Denver game when he played only 22 minutes and even earlier in the year when he scored 30 vs the Lakers, but left the game early with an injury limiting him to 23 minutes.

The Cleveland game in particular as well as the games vs the Warriors and Denver when he tried to come back too early lowered his scoring average. He'd be averaging about 29 ppg rather than 28 if not for those games.
And Durant's would be same if he didn't sit out the 4th quarters of like 6-7 games due to blowouts. OKC destroys weak teams so badly that Westbrook/Durant end up sitting on the bench with 15-18 points.

maybeshewill13
04-05-2013, 05:05 AM

Durant has probably sat out the 4th quarter in around 10 games due to blowouts, or he'd be averaging much more.

EDIT: Graviton beat me to it.

ShaqAttack3234
04-05-2013, 06:51 AM
And Durant's would be same if he didn't sit out the 4th quarters of like 6-7 games due to blowouts. OKC destroys weak teams so badly that Westbrook/Durant end up sitting on the bench with 15-18 points.

Much different than leaving early with an injury. Durant has also averaged more minutes than Melo this season. Besides, I'm not arguing Melo's season vs Durant's season. I've said that Durant has been better. I'm just refuting assertions such as Melo missing games has made it easier to maintain his scoring average, especially since those unusually low games affect your average more when you play fewer games. As well as the assertion that Melo has been chucking for the scoring title lately. He had two great games, but there was nothing in his approach to suggest he was gunning for the scoring title. He was just ridiculously hot.

luckylucy
04-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Blue&Orange
04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Durant has probably sat out the 4th quarter in around 10 games due to blowouts, or he'd be averaging much more.

EDIT: Graviton beat me to it.
oh lord noes, Graviton beat you in posting ignorance.

Melo 37.2 mpg
Durant 38.7 mpg

Yes it's a dam shame Durant doesn't play 48mpg, because he would average more.

:lol

maybeshewill13
04-05-2013, 09:34 AM
oh lord noes, Graviton beat you in posting ignorance.

Melo 37.2 mpg
Durant 38.7 mpg

Yes it's a dam shame Durant doesn't play 48mpg, because he would average more.

Settle down chief, I was simply pointing out that Durant has sat a lot of 4th quarters. I didn't say he would average more in regards to Melo, just more overall if that weren't the case. Not sure why you're having a go? Seems pretty obvious to me? :confusedshrug: Plus, I don't watch the knicks (snoozefest), so I don't know the minutes Melo plays.

Sarcastic
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Melo has sat out of plenty of 4th quarters as well, especially early in the year.

It was lame excuse, based on nothing but pure conjecture.

dunksby
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
KD has played 2900 minutes in 75 games while Melo has played 2300 in 61. Meaning if Melo hadn't missed a game similar to KD he would have played 2820 minutes going by his 37.2 average. Lower PT is natural as Melo is not durable nor is he an athlete on par with KD.

SilkkTheShocker
04-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Knicks fans really have put their hearts into Melo winning the scoring title :oldlol:

Sarcastic
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Not nearly the amount of heart the haters have put in trying to discredit the team the entire year.

Just go through this thread. It's a who's who of Knick haters.

RRR3
04-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Kobe had a good series, shame the scrubs he was playing with decided not to show up:facepalm :facepalm

Hope Melo gets the scoring title... Westbrick >> Durant:oldlol:
Kobe had 4 points in the fourth quarters of the first 4 games. According to that logic, LeBron had a good 2011 Finals :oldlol:

dh144498
04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Kobe had 4 points in the fourth quarters of the first 4 games. According to that logic, LeBron had a good 2011 Finals :oldlol:

should stop embarrassing yourself with your 8 year old logic.
no, getting outscored by a bench player in the finals is not a good performance.

Iceman#44
04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Time for Melo i guess.

I mean, he is the only great scorer out there in today's NBA without a Scoring Title: Kobe has 2, LeBron 1, Wade 1, Durant 4...

HYJ
04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Time for Melo i guess.

I mean, he is the only great scorer out there in today's NBA without a Scoring Title: Kobe has 2, LeBron 1, Wade 1, Durant 4...

Durant only has 3, buy yeah its time for Melo to win that award.

chazzy
04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Why do you keep repeating this as if it were true? He had 14 in game 3 alone

willds09
04-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Melo gotta win dis year, plus itz a great year for tha knicks too:cheers:

JohnnySic
04-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Update after last night's games:

Durant 28.4 ppg
Carmelo 28.3 ppg

Let's keep this going.

nashwade
04-06-2013, 12:27 PM
what are the statistics for scoring champs winning the ring in the same season?

kNicKz
04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Knicks fans really have put their hearts into Melo winning the scoring title :oldlol:

Who wouldn't want their best scorer to get it...?

dunksby
04-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Well Jordan did it a few times.

Johnni Gade
04-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Melo exploding right now

DuMa
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
and Melo vs Durant for ABC's first double header game on Sunday. you cant buy that kind of hype for the NBA. i hope both gun for the title.

Eat Like A Bosh
04-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Shit, I think Melo's actually taking this seriously now.

JohnnySic
04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I dont care what Durant says, you know that they both will see this as a challenge.

Let the gunning commence. :oldlol:

tazb
04-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Prediction for Sunday:

Melo 46 points on 26 shots.
Durant 33 points on 22 free throws.

Melo takes the lead on Sunday.

NattyPButter
04-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Durant should let him win it. Lebron and Kobe both let him win his 2 of the 3 he got.

shady6121
04-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Prediction for Sunday:

Melo 46 points on 26 shots.
Durant 33 points on 22 free throws.

Melo takes the lead on Sunday.

ShaqAttack3234
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM

George Mikan did it in 1949 and 1950
Kareem did it in 1971
Jordan did it from '91-'93 and '96-'98
Shaq did it in 2000

iDunk
04-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Lol, the refs are gonna give Durant like 15+ FTs tomorrow.

That rip through move irks me so much that I actually wish that Durant dislocates his arm doing it. Its not basketball, its just swinging you arms for free points.

Durant & Lopez are really the only All Stars who use that move...

KG215
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Lol, the refs are gonna give Durant like 15+ FTs tomorrow.

That rip through move irks me so much that I actually wish that Durant dislocates his arm doing it. Its not basketball, its just swinging you arms for free points.

Durant & Lopez are really the only All Stars who use that move...
No, it's swinging your arms to cheaply pick-up a foul on the other team. It doesn't always lead to 2 FT's.

upside24
04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
No, it's swinging your arms to cheaply pick-up a foul on the other team. It doesn't always lead to 2 FT's.
It's not a basketball move. Love Durant but can't stand that cheap shit.