PDA

View Full Version : Why have the Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's and Dan Marino's jersey numbers?

shady6121
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Michael Jordan never played for them and Dan Marino played in another sport. Wtf lol? :lol

Patrick Chewing
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Having lived in Miami it's a joke from Miami fan's perspective as well. Jordan burned the Heat just as much as any other team in basketball. To honor him is a joke, but the Heat organization do it as a sign of respect I suppose.

NBASTATMAN
04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Michael Jordan never played for them and Dan Marino played in another sport. Wtf lol? :lol

Cuz they r wack

Kurosawa0
04-04-2013, 02:22 PM
The NBA should retire #23 in his honor, but it's a bit odd for Miami just to do it themselves. I get Marino as a local thing.

senelcoolidge
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Jordan and Marino's numbers are right next to Bimbo Coles number. The heat have a lot of tradition.

PJR
04-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Marino isn't retired. He was just honored being a South Florida sports icon. Jordan however is, and it's embarrassing. I really wish Riley didn't push his personal man crush on Jordan to the Heat fans. :facepalm

Scholar
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
The NBA should retire #23 in his honor, but it's a bit odd for Miami just to do it themselves. I get Marino as a local thing.

Why?

If you're going to retire Michael Jordan's jersey number altogether, why not retire Wilt's, Kareem's, Russell's, etc.?

What would make Jordan that special?
He didn't score more points than Kareem, who also won 6 titles.
He didn't win more championships than Bill Russell, who won 11 in 13 seasons.
He averaged the practically the same amount of PPG as Wilt Chamberlain for his career.

:confusedshrug: I'm nowhere near a Jordan hater, but some of you Jordan Stans make me sick.

ripthekik
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Well it seems like the Heat are also going to retire Kobe's number after he retires.

senelcoolidge
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Why?

If you're going to retire Michael Jordan's jersey number altogether, why not retire Wilt's, Kareem's, Russell's, etc.?

He averaged the practically the same amount of PPG as Wilt Chamberlain for his career.

:confusedshrug: I'm nowhere near a Jordan hater, but some of you Jordan Stans make me sick.

I guess you never watched Jordan play. Stats are nice, but they don't make you great. Being lucky enough to be on stacked teams year after year and winning championships doesn't make you great. Stats and rings don't make you great..they are nice, but don't define greatness. But I think it's silly that Miami retired the number of a player that never played for them.

Kurosawa0
04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Why?

Because Michael Jordan is the biggest figure in the history of the sport and it's not even close. Hell, he's one of the most famous humans ever. #23 is different than #6 for Bill Russell or #33 was for Kareem.

KOBE143
04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Well it seems like the Heat are also going to retire Kobe's number after he retires.
this

both 8 and 24.. :bowdown:

Knoe Itawl
04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Why?

Though I don't necessarily believe in retiring Jordan's number, like it or not Jordan took the NBA into the stratosphere when he played. I know so many people who got into the NBA solely because of Jordan and haven't watched it since he left. Global icon. One of the 10 most famous people of all time. Etc. etc. So you have his greatness ALONG with what he did for the sport. None of those other legends have that. THAT'S why an argument can be made that his jersey should be retired. Oh, and to answer your other part

He was a winner like Russell (not as much obviously but a lot), scored like Wilt, dominated regular season and playoffs like Kareem, and did so with the most aesthetically pleasing game of all time.

dh144498
04-04-2013, 03:21 PM

:bowdown:

RagaZ
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Sh*t franchise.

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Sh*t franchise.
Not everyone is lucky enough to tank an entire season on a lucky draft year.

DaSeba5
04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Having lived in Miami it's a joke from Miami fan's perspective as well. Jordan burned the Heat just as much as any other team in basketball. To honor him is a joke, but the Heat organization do it as a sign of respect I suppose.

This.

kNicKz
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Retiring the number of a player that shit on your team :roll:

shady6121
04-04-2013, 04:34 PM

:lol

04-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Marino isn't retired. He was just honored being a South Florida sports icon. Jordan however is, and it's embarrassing. I really wish Riley didn't push his personal man crush on Jordan to the Heat fans. :facepalm

All this butt kissing and MJ still had to diss Riley in his HOF speech in 2009.

Patrick Chewing
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Which is why I hate Pat Riley even more. Jordan beat him down while he was coaching the Knicks and beat him down mercilessly. Then he bails on NY and rebuilds the Heat franchise and Jordan shits on him again LOL. Finally, he wins the championship after Jordan is out of the league.

It's complete ownership on Jordan's part and I truly think it's one of those cases where if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

bdreason
04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I guess you never watched Jordan play.

I watched MJ's entire career, and it doesn't change the fact that he isn't above game.

Without Wilt, and Russell, and Magic, and Bird... Jordan wouldn't even exist. MJ may have taken the game global, but there wouldn't even be a game to take global without the other players mentioned.

Big#50
04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Not everyone is lucky enough to tank an entire season on a lucky draft year.
Robinson had a career threatening injury. That team sucked without him.

Lebron23
04-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I hope they remove the jersey from the rafters. I still wants to see LeBron wear his old jersey number. Riley probably lost a bet.

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Robinson had a career threatening injury. That team sucked without him.
Yeah, that's the point. The spurs weren't a bad team. They just had a Peyton manning situation.

diamenz
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Why?

because michael's game painted a perfect picture and it's complexity and artistry can never be duplicated.

Glide2keva
04-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Having lived in Miami it's a joke from Miami fan's perspective as well. Jordan burned the Heat just as much as any other team in basketball. To honor him is a joke, but the Heat organization do it as a sign of respect I suppose.That was all Pat Riley's doing. He was showing MJ respect during his retirement year. Two competitors and one giving the better his due credit.

#number6ix#
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Well Marino is the man in south Florida... Mj on the other hand is a oddity Pat probably thought every other team would follow suit... Man between the Knicks and bulls we had a lot of playoff beat downs... Those two teams damn near ****ed up my childhood

PrettyCool
04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Because Michael Jordan is the biggest figure in the history of the sport and it's not even close. Hell, he's one of the most famous humans ever. #23 is different than #6 for Bill Russell or #33 was for Kareem.

Jordan is the greatest basketball player that has ever lived. He isn't a god, he didn't invent basketball, and he isn't some revolutionary figure. Bill Russell was the greatest winner of all time, and the first black coach in NBA to go along with being a dominant player.

I don't think any Jersey numbers should be retired, but 23 is not different than 6 in legendary status.

RRR3
04-04-2013, 07:03 PM
LeBron's fault.

deja vu
04-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Why?

Because he's the icon of basketball. Love him or hate him, Jordan brought NBA to the greatest heights of popularity all over the world. Dude was synonymous with basketball excellence. When a person is extremely dominant in a particular sport or field, they will say "He is the Michael Jordan of [insert sport/field here]."