PDA

View Full Version : Report: Gary Payton makes HOF (first ballot)

fpliii
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
https://twitter.com/SHowardCooper/status/319838805953757185

ILLsmak
04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
GP CAME INTO THE LEAGUE AT AGE 22... he didn't have potential.

-Smak

eurobum
04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
:oldlol: reached his ceiling in his rookie year.

crisoner
04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
OAKLAND'S FINEST!!!!

Props to GP!!!!

pegasus
04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Well-deserved!:applause: He was a great two-way player in his prime.

NumberSix
04-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Obviously. Who the hell wouldn't vote for the glove?

Glide2keva
04-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Overrated. But congrats, I guess.

Lebron23
04-04-2013, 06:02 PM
It's about damn time!!!!

Cali Syndicate
04-04-2013, 06:15 PM
OAKLAND'S FINEST!!!!

Props to GP!!!!

Bill Russell says hello!

However, Gary Payton well deserved. :applause:

Rubio2Gasol
04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Can't wait to hear his speech.

Hell probably diss more people than Jordan did.

ErhnamDjinn
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
he should be added to the courtside show just to stir up sh!t hehehe congrats GP.

LongLiveTheKing
04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Congrats to The Glove, thanks for the game winning shot in 06 Game 3 Finals!

Lebron23
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Congrats to The Glove, thanks for the game winning shot in 06 Game 3 Finals!

It's nice to see The Glove win a championship.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM
It's about damn time!!!!
Why "about damn time"? He got in first Ballot...

SilkkTheShocker
04-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Overrated? :oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Gary Payton is overrated but Rose ain't? **** outta here man. :oldlol:

klee
04-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Ha, this guy...

:facepalm

LBJFTW
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Mr. Lockdown

This is great news. Speech is going to be great.

k0kakw0rld
04-04-2013, 09:22 PM
It's about damn time!!!!
:cheers:

CarlosBoozer
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
It's about damn time!!!!
future rep :rockon:

TheBigVeto
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Overrated? :oldlol:

Indeed he is. Most undeserving HOFer since Dennis Rodman.

MisterAmazing
04-04-2013, 09:55 PM

:biggums: oh please.

Congrats to the Glove, well deserved

kNicKz
04-04-2013, 10:38 PM

Dennis Rodman doesn't belong in the hall of fame? :coleman:

Xiao Yao You
04-04-2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865577519/Report-Gary-Payton-selects-John-Stockton-as-Hall-of-Fame-presenter.html

plUto or bUst
04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Prime Payton today would be a top 5 player and easily the best point guard in the league. He would shred guys like Westbrook, rose, even Chris Paul.

Alan Ogg
04-04-2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865577519/Report-Gary-Payton-selects-John-Stockton-as-Hall-of-Fame-presenter.html

Reminds me of this video where Payton says John Stockton was the toughest basketball player he faced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cG7uUBYxo

Alan Ogg
04-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Reminds me of this video where Payton says John Stockton was the toughest basketball player he faced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cG7uUBYxo

That's respect.

Xiao Yao You
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Ice Man also on stage with him.

nightprowler10
04-04-2013, 11:28 PM
That's awesome. Never liked the guy too much but the glove deserves it. I'm surprised he's a first ballot HOFer though, didn't think that would happen.

FatComputerNerd
04-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Possibly best 2-way pointguard ever.

MavsPoke
04-05-2013, 01:34 AM
No brainer first ballot HOF.

Smoke117
04-05-2013, 01:46 AM
He's a first ballot hofer, but he's incredibly overrated offensively and somewhat overrated defensively. He was "the glove" aka a fantastic one on one defensive player, but to me Jason Kidd is the greatest defensive pg because he affected the game more because he was a fantastic TEAM/HELP DEFENDER. He made a bigger impact than Gary Payton and frankly no PG before or since has been such a terror defensively as Jason Kidd was. People overrate one on one defense. Sure it's important, but this isn't a one on one game, but a 5 on 5 game. Being a great one on one defensive player is all good and well ala Bruce Bowen, but you impact your teams overall defense if you are a great team defender like Jason Kidd.

Gary Payton is also extremely overrated offensively. When the Sonics were actually contenders he was at his best...but after Kemp left, Vin Baker was pretty much a bust dealing with his alcoholism, Gary pretty much just became a volume shooter on a team going nowhere but a first round exit. His offensive stats are inflated in the early 00s because he was allowed to do whatever he wanted, but his efficiency was mediocre at best. He just took a lot of shots and therefore he scored a lot of points. He was never meant to be a first option and his post Kemp efficiency shows that.

GP_20
04-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Well deserved, have been waiting for this day for a while :applause:

Top 3 PG of All-Time in his prime. I would only take Magic or Big O at PG over Payton. No one else could play it as well. One of the most underrated players of all-time.

GP_20
04-05-2013, 01:50 AM
He's a first ballot hofer, but he's incredibly overrated offensively and somewhat overrated defensively. He was "the glove" aka a fantastic one on one defensive player, but to me Jason Kidd is the greatest defensive pg because he affected the game more because he was a fantastic TEAM/HELP DEFENDER. He made a bigger impact than Gary Payton and frankly no PG before or since has been such a terror defensively as Jason Kidd was. People overrate one on one defense. Sure it's important, but this isn't a one on one game, but a 5 on 5 game. Being a great one on one defensive player is all good and well ala Bruce Bowen, but you impact your teams overall defense if you are a great team defender like Jason Kidd.

Gary Payton is also extremely overrated offensively. When the Sonics were actually contenders he was at his best...but after Kemp left, Vin Baker was pretty much a bust dealing with his alcoholism, Gary pretty much just became a volume shooter on a team going nowhere but a first round exit. His offensive stats are inflated in the early 00s because he was allowed to do whatever he wanted, but his efficiency was mediocre at best. He just took a lot of shots and therefore he scored a lot of points. He was never meant to be a first option and his post Kemp efficiency shows that.

TheBigVeto
04-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Well deserved, have been waiting for this day for a while :applause:

Top 3 PG of All-Time in his prime. I would only take Magic or Big O at PG over Payton. No one else could play it as well. One of the most underrated players of all-time.

D.J.
04-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Payton's shooting percentages decreased only because Kemp left and Baker was a bust. Payton had no choice but to shoot. Prior to age 30, Payton was good for 19-20 PPG on about 50% shooting. His eFG% was around 52-53%, which is very good for a guard. As far as his defensive contributions, I suggest you go watch him guard MJ in the '96 Finals. In 3 full games of guarding Mike, Mike averaged 23.7 PPG on 36.7% shooting(including 5/19 in game 6).

Myth
04-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Possibly best 2-way pointguard ever.

Well, Stockton is in that same discussion.

Smoke117
04-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Payton's shooting percentages decreased only because Kemp left and Baker was a bust. Payton had no choice but to shoot. Prior to age 30, Payton was good for 19-20 PPG on about 50% shooting. His eFG% was around 52-53%, which is very good for a guard. As far as his defensive contributions, I suggest you go watch him guard MJ in the '96 Finals. In 3 full games of guarding Mike, Mike averaged 23.7 PPG on 36.7% shooting(including 5/19 in game 6).

You don't even know your facts. Payton was on Pippen for about half that series. Pippen who was dealing with an severe ankle sprain, a knee injury, and an right arm sprain. Where do people manufacture this shit that Payton guarded Jordan for the entire series? The series only went six games because Pippen was so beat up and had no movement (being a slasher thats pretty severe), yet he still led the playoffs in drating and defensive win shares. The Sonics switched Payton onto Jordan around game 3 or or 4. Jordan just had an off series and they still beat the Sonics in 6 with Pippen beat the **** up.

D.J.
04-05-2013, 02:10 AM
You don't even know your facts. Payton was on Pippen for about half that series. Pippen who was dealing with an severe ankle sprain, a knee injury, and an right arm sprain. Where do people manufacture this shit that Payton guarded Jordan for the entire series? The series only went six games because Pippen was so beat up and had no movement (being a slasher thats pretty severe), yet he still led the playoffs in drating and defensive win shares.

My facts are just fine. I said in 3 COMPLETE games. Payton started guarding Jordan in the second half of game 3. Games 4-6 make up 3 games. George Karl even admitted he made a mistake not letting Payton guard Jordan from the get go. Read the following:

In 3 full games of guarding Mike

Smoke117
04-05-2013, 02:17 AM
My facts are just fine. I said in 3 COMPLETE games. Payton started guarding Jordan in the second half of game 3. Games 4-6 make up 3 games. George Karl even admitted he made a mistake not letting Payton guard Jordan from the get go. Read the following:

So I was right, thank you. Good job GP :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: guarding an Scottie Pippen with multiple injuries for the series before you were switched to Jordan. If the Pippen was healthy this series wouldn't have gone past five games, period.

Xiao Yao You
04-05-2013, 02:17 AM

Certainly not meant to be the efficient first option that Kidd was anyway. :lol

D.J.
04-05-2013, 02:19 AM
So I was right, thank you. Good job GP :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: guarding an Scottie Pippen with multiple injuries for the series before you were switched to Jordan. If the Pippen was healthy this series wouldn't have gone past five games, period.

No you were not right. My facts were right, you made a false claim, and I proved you wrong.

GP_20
04-05-2013, 02:52 AM
This Smoke117 guy is a total retard and just got owned :roll:

kaiteng
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/dli5wl.jpg

JellyBean
04-05-2013, 06:36 PM
The Glove!!!! Congrats, GP :applause:

Now the HOF voters have to get their act together and put players like Marques Johnson in the HOF

Round Mound
04-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Well Deserved He Is One of the Top 10 PGs of All Time and Deserves To Be a HOF. He is the 2nd Best Defensive PG of All Time after Walt Fraizer and He Was a Solid Scorer and Creator-Passer. Great Player :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Here's Earl Watson, unabridged:

"First of all, Gary gives no one any respect, he doesn't care. True story, this is crazy. So we come in here to play Utah, and John Stockton was here. So everybody we play Gary just talked bad about, 'Oh he's not that good, I give him 40 easy, I lock him up.' But coming here to play Utah, he was like

jcsrplumply
04-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Well deserved Gary Payton :p.
One of the greatest defenders of all time in my opinion.

OmniStrife
04-07-2013, 07:56 AM

thabisyo
04-07-2013, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=OmniStrife]5