PDA

View Full Version : Are there more torn ACLs now?

ILLsmak
04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
It seems to me like people are getting ACL tears left and right these days. I remember it being one of the most serious injuries, but I don't remember like 10 people going down with one every year.

-Smak

LongLiveTheKing
04-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Adidas shoes have caused most of them.

Haymaker
04-05-2013, 06:00 PM
It seems to me like people are getting ACL tears left and right these days. I remember it being one of the most serious injuries, but I don't remember like 10 people going down with one every year.

-Smak

Right, seems like an epidemic. It may be the PED's.

ILLsmak
04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Right, seems like an epidemic. It may be the PED's.

Well, a lot of shit is different now in general. Who knows what it could be. The shoes, it could be nutrition. It could be PEDs. Even legal PEDs.

I don't have a great memory and I can't really look up ACL history, but I swear more people are going down with them than before.

Just a crazy coincidence?

-Smak

tikay0
04-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Or it could just mean nothing, and the particular players that got them, just happened to have an ACL injury. :confusedshrug:

Levity
04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
without really thinking in detail about it, it seems to happen more often to guards/forwards(or am i entirely wrong). Maybe it has to do with they way the play. ie: stopping and starting, jump stops, etc.

tikay0
04-05-2013, 06:20 PM
It definitely is the PED's. PED's increase your performance but they also make injuries that much worse when you do get hurt. So you are paying a price.

PED's actually help you heal quicker from injuries, and help prevent from injuries.

I wish Rose was actually on roids, so he would've healed properly from all those injuries last year. :facepalm

TylerOO
04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
PED's actually help you heal quicker from injuries, and help prevent from injuries.

I wish Rose was actually on roids, so he would've healed properly from all those injuries last year. :facepalm

Hes fine. Hes just scared of Miami

Haymaker
04-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Only HGH helps healing faster.

ILLsmak
04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
You're WRONG but that's okay. We know that MLB players took roids and this is not a discussion of whether you like MLB or not. Bonds was hurt almost a full year after breaking records and A Rod has been hurt for 2 years now and it's all because of roids.

YES you do heal from injuries faster when you're on roids. Yes, that's true. However, in the LONG RUN your body suffers more than it benefits and when you get seriously injured, it gets exacerbated from the roids. Your muscles get too strong for your tendons and ligaments so in the long run you will get hurt. Short term, yes you get better only to set you up for an installment plan, if you will.

It's gotta be more than that, though, even assuming that's true. They had to be using PEDs in the 80s/90s as well. It's not like people just started. But for whatever reason it seems like, and maybe it's just law of averages... but it seems like players, especially stars, are getting a lot more ACL injuries in bball.

-Smak

tikay0
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
You're WRONG but that's okay. We know that MLB players took roids and this is not a discussion of whether you like MLB or not. Bonds was hurt almost a full year after breaking records and A Rod has been hurt for 2 years now and it's all because of roids.

YES you do heal from injuries faster when you're on roids. Yes, that's true. However, in the LONG RUN your body suffers more than it benefits and when you get seriously injured, it gets exacerbated from the roids. Your muscles get too strong for your tendons and ligaments so in the long run you will get hurt. Short term, yes you get better only to set you up for an installment plan, if you will.

But the players mentioned aren't older players.

iDunk
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I think players are trying to showboat more these days & trying to make more athletic plays which causes more wear & tear on the knee's.

La Frescobaldi
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't remember a team more destroyed by injuries than this year's T-Wolves. I'm sure there has to have been one sometime, but I don't remember it. Of course Love was a hand but look:

Rubio ACL (yeah last season but still... he missed almost 1/2 this season because of it)
Budinger ACL
Josh Howard knee ended his career
Malcolm Lee knee ended his season

There have been other serious injuries - Pekovic for example, had bone spur surgery and some ankle issues, aside from the Laker kidney punch - but not knee related.

And that's not counting Brandon Roy since his recovery was a hope and a prayer from the get-go.

I had been suspecting their trainer, or maybe some specific exercise they do in practice because that's just crazy... I think all were starters at the time they got hurt

tikay0
04-05-2013, 06:52 PM
But when you put the unnatural things in your body, you take a higher risk than if you do it naturally like Nash

Nash has had back problems for a while now.

Ikill
04-05-2013, 06:53 PM
There were a bunch of torn ACLs last year because of the lockout players were not getting proper rest.

Pacers4ever
04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Lol he is healed and cleared to play and him not being mentally ready doesn't mean he's not on HGH

tikay0
04-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Lol he is healed and cleared to play and him not being mentally ready doesn't mean he's not on HGH

I was talking about last year.

SCdac
04-05-2013, 07:09 PM
speaking of ACL, DeJuan Blair's going on 4 seasons with no ACL in either knee

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/12/34/33/2737912/5/628x471.jpg

flipogb
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
could be the shoes, they are lighter and allow for more athletic moves and cuts . moves that their ligaments can't really handle

Pacers4ever
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
I was talking about last year.
the same result is still possible if you take PEDs... It's like you assume if you are on HGH you can't possibly be injury prone which is not true.

Trentknicks
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
It definitely is the PED's. PED's increase your performance but they also make injuries that much worse when you do get hurt. So you are paying a price.

Your an absolute ****wit of the highest order. Your not actually worthy of a dignified response, i'm only responding so other don't get caught up in your stupidity.

So you've started by saying PED's are the reason players get torn ACL's and then within minutes said it now hurts you in the long run? Constant abuse of performance enhancing drugs will lead to a break down of your body, but generally around the ages of 45-60 depending on the level of abuse.

Also don't go acting like the players on PED's muscles are too strong for their tendons and joints hence why ACL's are being done left right and center. Obviously PED's allow you to develop your muscles to a much higher size than usual, but unless your quads look like this:

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-127-training/image001.jpg

Then PED's in a constant moving sport like basketball aren't too blame. I think it's time to put your big boy thinking cap on and realise that basketball is a rough sport on your legs, constant moving in different directions coupled with the fact that humans generally aren't designed to move like that at such speeds.

There's a reason why so many players retire early and have tendonitis, arthritis and other such injuries hampering them throughout their career and life.

tikay0
04-05-2013, 07:46 PM
the same result is still possible if you take PEDs... It's like you assume if you are on HGH you can't possibly be injury prone which is not true.

And the opposite is also true. To blame PED's for their injuries is idiotic in the first place. That's my whole point.

jstern
04-05-2013, 07:55 PM

-Smak
I've been thinking this since last season. Made me afraid of playing basketball. If it's up, then there's got to be a reason.

ProfessorMurder
04-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I think it's a combo of new tech in shoes and improper training.

I don't understand why companies are so into making 'the lightest shoe'. You really think a 12oz shoe vs a 20oz shoe is going to make a difference for a guy like LeBron?

Obviously the NBA teams have great trainers, but I feel like they focus too much on strength. Flexibility doesn't seem as important to them.

Ikill
04-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I think it's a combo of new tech in shoes and improper training.

I don't understand why companies are so into making 'the lightest shoe'. You really think a 12oz shoe vs a 20oz shoe is going to make a difference for a guy like LeBron?

Obviously the NBA teams have great trainers, but I feel like they focus too much on strength. Flexibility doesn't seem as important to them.
Strength training improves flexibility i

ProfessorMurder
04-05-2013, 08:39 PM

Flexibility training improves flexibility too.

OldSchoolBBall
04-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I always thought that the sneakers nowadays being so good and the courts being so good meant that there was TOO much grip at times. So sometimes on an awkward cut or landing, where in the past your foot would slide for a fraction of a second, giving the rest of your bones/joints/muscles time to react and stabilize, now it's instant and you end up with more acute injuries like this. Who knows, just thinking out loud.

chocolatethunder
04-05-2013, 10:13 PM
There is so much stupidity and misinformation in this thread it's mind boggling. This thread should be deleted immediately.

Ikill
04-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Flexibility training improves flexibility too.
they do bunch of flexibility stuff in their warm ups before game the trainers know what there doing

La Frescobaldi
04-05-2013, 11:44 PM
they do bunch of flexibility stuff in their warm ups before game the trainers know what there doing
Apparently they DON'T know what they're doing or we wouldn't be seeing all these crazy numbers of injuries.

The Choken One
04-05-2013, 11:46 PM
not sure if trolling...but strength training destroys flexibility...

eliteballer
04-06-2013, 12:29 AM
I think players are trying to showboat more these days & trying to make more athletic plays which causes more wear & tear on the knee's.

dingdingdingding!!

SacJB Shady
04-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Your an absolute ****wit of the highest order. Your not actually worthy of a dignified response, i'm only responding so other don't get caught up in your stupidity.

So you've started by saying PED's are the reason players get torn ACL's and then within minutes said it now hurts you in the long run? Constant abuse of performance enhancing drugs will lead to a break down of your body, but generally around the ages of 45-60 depending on the level of abuse.

Also don't go acting like the players on PED's muscles are too strong for their tendons and joints hence why ACL's are being done left right and center. Obviously PED's allow you to develop your muscles to a much higher size than usual, but unless your quads look like this:

Then PED's in a constant moving sport like basketball aren't too blame. I think it's time to put your big boy thinking cap on and realise that basketball is a rough sport on your legs, constant moving in different directions coupled with the fact that humans generally aren't designed to move like that at such speeds.

There's a reason why so many players retire early and have tendonitis, arthritis and other such injuries hampering them throughout their career and life.

I beg the differ. And first of all. it's you're, no your. But you just confessed that your body can indeed breakdown over a certain length of time from PED use. 45-60 years of age? If that is so, then please explain why virtually all baseball players on drugs got hurt towards the end of their career. Mcgwire, Bonds, A Rod are some just to name a few. You said yourself that the body is not designed to take all the vicious and brutal punishment from all that slashing, cutting, and banging. That combined with PED's can indeed make your body unequivocally more susceptible to a myriad of injuries. That is fact. Your muscles don't need to be as big as the pic you posted. They just need to be too strong for your tendons and ligaments. And remember this: An NBA players body ages faster because of all the wear and tear.

dgaras
04-06-2013, 03:10 AM
not sure if trolling...but strength training destroys flexibility...

no it doesnt idiot. go read a thing or two. :facepalm at the stupid idiots talking roids, strength training and lifting. everyone stfu. you all know nothing from what ive read

flipogb
04-06-2013, 03:17 AM
no it doesnt idiot. go read a thing or two. :facepalm at the stupid idiots talking roids, strength training and lifting. everyone stfu. you all know nothing from what ive read

yes it does, if you are flexible then it means you worked in some flexibility training int there

SacJB Shady
04-06-2013, 03:19 AM

Strength training can destroy flexibility overtime if you bulk up and do not stretch. Certain exercises such as pilates make you more flexible. But if you don't use proper form when you lift heavy, that can make muscles get tight. When you put too much stress on yourself it does lead to inflexibility. That's why proper form is vital.

KeyNote
04-06-2013, 04:26 AM
The euro step just invites awkward landing points for feet..and as a result, legs buckle to places they shouldn't

The_Yearning
04-06-2013, 09:22 AM
SacJB running this thread.

chocolatethunder
04-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I beg the differ. And first of all. it's you're, no your

First of all, it's beg to differ not "beg the differ". Oh the irony.

Euroleague
04-06-2013, 09:50 AM

Most PEDs have huge negative side effects for your health. Increased risk of injury is one of them.

OmniStrife
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Jus sayin...

http://cuddlebuggery.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/aliens-meme.jpeg

BuffaloBill
04-06-2013, 11:22 AM
I remember a comment Derrick Rose made after last season about stretching and flexibility. He said that he possibly could have prevented most of his injuries if he had been practicing proper stretching techniques. This could be something that the NBA would want to stress out to the teams, especially the ones that don't practice stretching and flexibility exercises enough.

Blue&Orange
04-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I've read on another forum someone saying that it's because today the shoes have to much grip.

It could make sense, player plant their feet in some awkward way, and normally the foot would slip a little and now it doesn't.

Just look at Gallo's injury, he does a awkward hop step, and almost seems like his feet glues to the floor.

HardwoodLegend
04-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I hope that in the future we aren't asking, "Are there more broken legs resulting in exposed tibias now?"

Injuries just seem to be getting more and more frequent and devastating lately.

Could be human evolution. Our bodies are getting weaker.

KyrieTheFuture
04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Well I'm actually currently writing a research paper on this and I have quotes from professionals who say if the goal is to protect health, a PED regimen supervised by a medical professional is actually the safest option.

KDthunderup
04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I hope that in the future we aren't asking, "Are there more broken legs resulting in exposed tibias now?"

Injuries just seem to be getting more and more frequent and devastating lately.

Could be human evolution. Our bodies are getting weaker.
Or Athletes are getting stronger and faster and the ACL can't keep up with the explosive movements?

Blue&Orange
04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Well I'm actually currently writing a research paper on this and I have quotes from professionals who say if the goal is to protect health, a PED regimen supervised by a medical professional is actually the safest option.
:lol

Yes let's legalize doping, let's force everyone to hurt their health because of the cheaters.

Those "professionals" might just as well had writen PED on their foreheads.

The Choken One
04-06-2013, 05:22 PM
I've been lifting hardcore for 2 years. More muscle = less flexibility.

You can't REALLY be that dumb, can you? :biggums:

dgaras
04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Strength training can destroy flexibility overtime if you bulk up and do not stretch. Certain exercises such as pilates make you more flexible. But if you don't use proper form when you lift heavy, that can make muscles get tight. When you put too much stress on yourself it does lead to inflexibility. That's why proper form is vital.

yes it does, if you are flexible then it means you worked in some flexibility training int there

I've been lifting hardcore for 2 years. More muscle = less flexibility.

You can't REALLY be that dumb, can you? :biggums:

LOL LOL just stop kid. 2 years is not even enough for you to be past a beginners level

any person that isnt stretching regularly is bound to be inflexible. thats why a combo of yoga + stretching + lifting heavy (1-5 reps) is the best.

The Choken One
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
LOL LOL just stop kid. 2 years is not even enough for you to be past a beginners level

any person that isnt stretching regularly is bound to be inflexible. thats why a combo of yoga + stretching + lifting heavy (1-5 reps) is the best.
Welp, it's pretty obvious you've never touched a weight in your life so this argument is no longer necessary.

But hey, you're totally right bro! :oldlol:

tikay0
04-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Fugg outta here. 2 years of straight lifting is more than 90% of the population has ever done.

SacJB Shady
04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
First of all, it's beg to differ not "beg the differ". Oh the irony.

I blame my iPhone

ThickassGlasses
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
There is such a strong lack of fitness related knowledge on ISH... well any knowledge really, but especially in fitness.

Just because you lift heavy weights does not make you inflexible. Until you get to Mr. Olympia size, you can be plenty flexible, there is not a single NBA player so muscular or strong that he has lost his ability to be flexible. Skipping out on any stretching, proper warm up, and IMO myofascial release are viable reasons for some injuries, at least from a personal fitness angle. That being said, the opposite side of flexibility (or mobility) is stability. Since we are talking about ACLs in this thread, the need in the knee is for stability not mobility. Having stiff ankles and or hips causes problems for knee stability as does just flat out having weak knees.

On the subject of stiff ankles, faulty shoe designs that allow no ankle mobility help cause plenty of injuries.

As for the PED's talk, the only way that negatively effects your body's physical health is if you allow your strength to grow to quickly that your joints literally can't keep up. So yes, PEDs are a slight cause due to athletes becoming much more explosive than their joints are prepared to take, but not because they increase your likelihood of being injured.

Euroleague
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM

And if you believe that, you are a freaking moron.

Euroleague
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
There is such a strong lack of fitness related knowledge on ISH... well any knowledge really, but especially in fitness.

Just because you lift heavy weights does not make you inflexible. Until you get to Mr. Olympia size, you can be plenty flexible, there is not a single NBA player so muscular or strong that he has lost his ability to be flexible. Skipping out on any stretching, proper warm up, and IMO myofascial release are viable reasons for some injuries, at least from a personal fitness angle. That being said, the opposite side of flexibility (or mobility) is stability. Since we are talking about ACLs in this thread, the need in the knee is for stability not mobility. Having stiff ankles and or hips causes problems for knee stability as does just flat out having weak knees.

On the subject of stiff ankles, faulty shoe designs that allow no ankle mobility help cause plenty of injuries.

As for the PED's talk, the only way that negatively effects your body's physical health is if you allow your strength to grow to quickly that your joints literally can't keep up. So yes, PEDs are a slight cause due to athletes becoming much more explosive than their joints are prepared to take, but not because they increase your likelihood of being injured.

Bullshit. PEDs have all kinds of negative side effects.

ThickassGlasses
04-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Bullshit. PEDs have all kinds of negative side effects.

Mentallly? Perhaps.
Hormonal? Probably.

Structurally? No, unless we are talking about overtraining or overloading a specific structure of the body.

UnbiasedGuy
04-06-2013, 11:31 PM
This board is so clueless on fitness

More muscle does equate to less flexibility, but only if you only lift without stretching regularly. The most obvious example which may apply to many of you is stronger/bigger quads = less flexible hamstrings/posterior chain. People that play jumping sports, i.e volleyball, basketball, etc need to stretch their posterior, or risk decreasing their ROM/flexibility. I am sure that professional basketball players are not subject to these adverse effects of increased muscle mass, as they have personal trainers and stretching routines.

PEDs can only positively affect your body (from a physical performance standpoint). Many of you are fu.cking clueless on what PEDs do. You see PED and instantly think IFBB bodybuilding pros. Guess what? PEDs do not cause muscles to get bigger. They make you recover faster. That allows you to lift 5-7x a week, instead of the 3-5 times a natty bodybuilder would. In the case of an NBA player, that allows them to practice 3 hrs a day, lift, and show up feeling fresh for their game. Oh and by the way, they do it every day.

Have any of you ever worked out or played organized sports? What about even recreationally playing something like tennis/badminton/basketball for 2-3 hours at a fairly competitive level? Do you think you could do that for 8 hours a day, with a weight lifting routine, every day of the year nearly without break? Further, do you think being 6'8 and 265 lbs helps or hurts you in sustainability, compared to 5'10 165lbs?

Small amounts of HGH can be beneficial to the body. Obscene amounts of these drugs cause all the stereotypes associated with "steroids". Two pro sports leagues benefit most from HGH/PEDs: NHL and NBA. These are the two leagues which requires starting players to go all out almost once every two days. Do you know how taxing it is on your legs to play a full court game? Most of this forum would get winded after 3 minutes of full court basketball. These guys do this for 30+ minutes once every two nights, with shit tons of practice/drills/shooting arounds in between. Not to mention clubbing, drug use, irregular sleep, etc. The only thing they DO have in their favour is world class nutrition/sports doctors. That does not make the average NBA player capable of such gigantic increases in volume (on their legs and CNS)

PEDs. Performance Enhancing Drugs. If you took ADHD medication (methylphenidate, a stimulant) then competed in the Olympics, it would not be allowed. If you smoked a cigarette then sprinted, the nicotine in it, containing stimulants, would elevate your performance (probably negligibly). If you jacked yourself up on 5 litres of Coke, you would most definately lift more weight. Although coca-cola is not a banned substance, it can still be used as a performance enhancement.

I am willing to bet that most professional athletes use one form of PED or another. The testing for these is a joke, even on the Olympic level. There is a long ass list (3,4 figures in length) of banned substances. New designer drugs are constantly released to go undetected. It would not surprise me one bit if it was later revealed that athletes such as Bolt, Phelps, Lebron, etc were on PEDs.

Case in point: Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, Lance Armstrong, etc. And these are the unlucky ones that were caught. It would be ignorant to believe that the current testing system guarantees no PEDs were used, in the past, or presently.

Raymone
04-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Players just have weak ankles these days. LeBron has plenty of muscles. No ACL breaks.

Scoooter
04-06-2013, 11:47 PM
We need cyborg bodies with carbon nanotube load-sensing adaptive smart ligaments.

And testicles that play music.

OhNoTimNoSho
04-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Lots of wild speculation in this thread. Please provide some sort of verifiable data to back up your claims.

What PEDs are NBA athletes mainly taking? I want to do some research.

The Choken One
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
This board is so clueless on fitness

More muscle does equate to less flexibility, but only if you only lift without stretching regularly. The most obvious example which may apply to many of you is stronger/bigger quads = less flexible hamstrings/posterior chain. People that play jumping sports, i.e volleyball, basketball, etc need to stretch their posterior, or risk decreasing their ROM/flexibility. I am sure that professional basketball players are not subject to these adverse effects of increased muscle mass, as they have personal trainers and stretching routines.
I generally agree with what you're saying. I don't stress stretching but I do stretch whatever muscle I lift that day post workout, despite this I'm still not as flexible as prior to lifting.

I feel like some people here think I'm saying you're going to lose all flexibility which I'm not. I'm just giving my experience and others I also know in RL and basically all have experienced some form of decreased flexibility. I used to be able to lock my hands behind my back not even 2 years ago...now I'm lucky for my damn fingers to touch.

ILLsmak
04-07-2013, 05:39 AM
I'm not saying everyone is on PEDS. I mean, they ARE... haha, but they have been. That's not why, I don't think.

People may be training way too hard, though. Watching those Gatorade ads... they have like 5 different types of Gatorade products you're supposed to use during your workout. At a certain point, you need to rest.

And yea muscle and flexibility are not related. I am extremely un-flexible... with an athletic build. It's kind of sad. I can't even touch my toes.

I personally believe it has to do with players starting training too early and not resting enough.

People might say LOL ITS LIKE THE HUMAN BODY HAS OUT-EVOLVED THE ACL!! But if you are performing at a level above what your body (or any body?) should be capable of doing, then I believe you are at more risk for injury due to the fact that the structure of your body doesn't change.

A lot of people will say LEBRON, but LeBron plays very under control. You really don't see Bron jumping wildly. I think gathering is important, too, you'd think if players took time to gather and jump off of both feet, landing on both feet with balance, it would be better for their bodies.

-Smak

ILLsmak
04-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Lots of wild speculation in this thread. Please provide some sort of verifiable data to back up your claims.

What PEDs are NBA athletes mainly taking? I want to do some research.

Likely any one that would help. lol. You just don't see people who are that ripped... who are also endurance athletes.

I mean, if someone was taking a supplement, that's still a PED. You can decide where the line in terms of legality is. My theory is they probably don't care as long as they won't get caught.

-Smak