PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant admits he doesn't like chucking heaves

Eat Like A Bosh
04-06-2013, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]
During the 1990s, I noticed a curious trend that All-Star guard Tim Hardaway seemed to be at the forefront of. No, it wasn

tazb
04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
[quote] Russell Westbrook:

RagaZ
04-06-2013, 02:26 PM
You're like 2 months late:oldlol:

KDnRuss350
04-06-2013, 02:28 PM
And I bet he's the only star in the league that's guilty of this. :rolleyes:

And I love Westbrook's answer. It fits his playing style and personality perfectly.

DuMa
04-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Swagbrooks steals the spotlight again

RagaZ
04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-dwyane-wade-compete-efficiency-stats-sly-145018924--nba.html

dunksby
04-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Reposting old shit?

Eat Like A Bosh
04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Russ man, like a boss!

You're like 2 months late:oldlol:
I love morons that come in being like "old news dude"! :lol I could not find a thread about it, that's exactly why I made one now. Idiot.

longtime lurker
04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
I find this shit so incredibly lame. Shame on these guys for caring so much about a meaningless stat like FG%. Once again Westbrook keeps it real. And Kendrick Perkins makes the most valid point.

Heavincent
04-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Scholar
04-06-2013, 02:40 PM
To think of it, I don't see Kobe taking those shots either. LeBron also does them very rarely but a lot more often than Kobe & KD.

ShaqAttack3234
04-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Old news, but I think this proves that those who think Kevin Durant could simply shoot more and score as much as Kobe ever did don't factor in mindset and in general, different ways their skill sets are best used and approach the game naturally. Durant will give you 28 ppg and do it more efficiently than Kobe can, but Kobe is much more likely to average 35, string together a stretch of 40-50 point games ect.

This is more interesting than the halfcourt thing, though.

KD tracks his numbers in his head obsessively throughout games, down to turnovers, assists, what he’s shooting from the floor, rebounds and of course, points. I remember a game last season where Durant threw a half-oop, half-shot out of bounds. He came over to the scorekeeper and asked him if he had scored it a turnover or a shot attempt. The scorekeeper said turnover, to which Durant said, “Good, I’d rather have a turnover than a miss.”

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/kevin-durant-selfish-stats-westbrook-thunder/

Also, Kevin Martin's response is pretty funny. I'm surprised at the honesty of some of these players, but disappointed at their approach.

chazzy
04-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Old news, but I think this proves that those who think Kevin Durant could simply shoot more and score as much as Kobe ever did don't factor in mindset and in general, different ways their skill sets are best used and approach the game naturally. Durant will give you 28 ppg and do it more efficiently than Kobe can, but Kobe is much more likely to average 35, string together a stretch of 40-50 point games ect.

Also, Kevin Martin's response is pretty funny. I'm surprised at the honesty of some of these players, but disappointed at their approach.
Durant probably drafts himself in fantasy :lol

pauk
04-06-2013, 03:00 PM
“It depends on what I’m shooting from the field. First quarter if I’m 4-for-4, I let it go. Third quarter if I’m like 10-for-16, or 10-for-17, I might let it go. But if I’m like 8-for-19, I’m going to go ahead and dribble one more second and let that buzzer go off and then throw it up there. So it depends on how the game’s going.”

:facepalm

“No. Nope … If I was considering about [statistics] I’d do a lot of shit different.”

:applause:

Durant wants in on that 50-40-90 club, must be careful. :)

Lebron will also kindof do this, he will not so often neglect half-court line and closer to the basket heaves though (he shoots those like a normal jumpshot), but more like full-court heaves, those he will most likely neglect unless the game depended on it, those are 3pt/fg% killer shots lol

RoseCity07
04-06-2013, 03:15 PM
There's something about Westbrook's comment that make me crack a smile and have a bit of admiration for him. I wish I had that attitude on the court. At the same time I hate his arrogance and love to see him lose.

guy
04-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Kobe has taken 68 shots over 40 feet since 2001. Take all those out and his efficiency barely changes. He's a more inefficient player then players like Lebron and Durant and this has almost nothing to do with it.

brandonislegend
04-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Obv Westbrook doesn't care.

http://i.minus.com/ibdb7yT6EgwuFW.gif

All Net
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Old but love westbrook's comment.

ShaqAttack3234
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Kobe has taken 68 shots over 40 feet since 2001. Take all those out and his efficiency barely changes. He's a more inefficient player then players like Lebron and Durant and this has almost nothing to do with it.

I'm not referring to those shots in particular. I'm referring to caring about % in general, and how they approach the game. Pretty obvious Durant is going to average 28 or so ppg while being considerably more efficient with his % while Kobe is far more likely to put up the bigger volume scoring numbers, at least prime vs prime.

I remember a game a while ago where Westbrook was taking the ball up, not at the end of the quarter or anything, and he thought he got fouled so he literally threw up a 40 footer or something with probably 17-19 seconds on the clock.

tazb
04-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Wow if Durant actually said that.:facepalm I do see Durant looking at the scoreboard / his stats at the top a lot during games too.

KG215
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM

:oldlol:

You're trying way too hard.

ShaqAttack3234
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Wow if Durant actually said that.:facepalm I do see Durant looking at the scoreboard / his stats at the top a lot during games too.

Yeah, I have no idea how legitimate that is, but it wouldn't be such a shock considering Wilt used to look at his stats during game, set statistical goals for himself and was friends with stat keeper Harvey Pollack, and they'd discuss whether the official statistics were incorrect. And Michael Jordan had this triple double thing going during the 1989 season when he'd check how many rebounds and assists he had during the game, and did admit in an interview from around 1994 that he cared about stats in his early years.

Plus there have been other instances like David Thompson and George Gervin going for the scoring title on the last day of the '79 season, or David Robinson doing the same thing in '94.

KG215
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
I remember a game a while ago where Westbrook was taking the ball up, not at the end of the quarter or anything, and he thought he got fouled so he literally threw up a 40 footer or something with probably 17-19 seconds on the clock.
He was going to get fouled. He just mistimed the shot attempt. Chris Paul has done the same thing from 40ish feet out at least two times this year that I've seen, and I know he's done it in past seasons, too. He just timed it better and didn't shoot until he heard the whistle. But when Westbrook did it (at San Antonio a few weeks ago) Gary Neal was running up to him to foul Westbrook. The FS Oklahoma TV guys even said they heard Popovich tell Neal to go foul Westbrook, so I'm assuming Russ probably heard the same thing. It just looks dumb in retrospect because he shot the ball too soon and the whistle never blew.

97 bulls
04-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I have no idea how legitimate that is, but it wouldn't be such a shock considering Wilt used to look at his stats during game, set statistical goals for himself and was friends with stat keeper Harvey Pollack, and they'd discuss whether the official statistics were incorrect. And Michael Jordan had this triple double thing going during the 1989 season when he'd check how many rebounds and assists he had during the game, and did admit in an interview from around 1994 that he cared about stats in his early years.

Plus there have been other instances like David Thompson and George Gervin going for the scoring title on the last day of the '79 season, or David Robinson doing the same thing in '94.
Wade said basically the same thing as Durant. This is why I feel fans need to stop putting so much emphasis on statistics.

PJR
04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Wade said basically the same thing as Durant. This is why I feel fans need to stop putting so much emphasis on statistics.

No he didn't.

Quintilianus
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I absolutely loved westbrook's comments.
I mean that's a shot that must be taken, why the hell would a player care about his statistics?

97 bulls
04-06-2013, 05:49 PM
No he didn't.
He did too. I remember someone making a thread in which hes quoted as saying he doesnt take long shots during the first 3 quarters in order to protect his FG%

guy
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm not referring to those shots in particular. I'm referring to caring about % in general, and how they approach the game. Pretty obvious Durant is going to average 28 or so ppg while being considerably more efficient with his % while Kobe is far more likely to put up the bigger volume scoring numbers, at least prime vs prime.

There's no indication from those comments or his play in general that he cares about his stats to that degree though. I'm just pointing out, sure he cares about his stats, but just cause he saves himself from shooting 40 footers doesn't mean its to a significant degree. His superior efficiency could just be the result of being a more efficient player in general. Its one thing if he's passing up lower % attempts to teammates with even lower % attempts, cause thats not efficient overall to the team and that would mean he's putting his stats ahead of the team. Thats not the case though.

I think that if he didn't have Russell Westbrook on his team, and had someone that was more of a pass-first PG, he could average close to 35 ppg on better efficiency then Kobe did. Not as efficient as he is averaging 28 ppg, but more efficient then Kobe in 06.

PJR
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
He did too. I remember someone making a thread in which hes quoted as saying he doesnt take long shots during the first 3 quarters in order to protect his FG%

:oldlol: Again, no he didn't.

This was the quote you're referring too.

“We’re both so conscious of wanting to shoot 50 percent, that sometimes you wish you had that Kobe (Bryant) thought, where you just don’t care,” Wade said. “We talk about it all the time. It sucks at times, but it’s who we are.”

flipogb
04-06-2013, 06:22 PM
still hate him but I respect Westbrook's comment

guy
04-06-2013, 06:24 PM

I don't necessarily think paying attention to FG% is a bad thing though, especially when they're doing it on a good team. Why should Wade be taking low % shots playing with Lebron, Bosh, and a bunch of sharpshooters? The fact that he's paying attention to this means instead of taking bad shots he realizes he has great teammates and looks to pass up for more efficient opportunities.

bdreason
04-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Anyway you spin it, a player with Durant's scoring ability worrying about his %'s is a weakness in his game. The truth is, the Thunder would be better if Durant shot more, and everyone else shot less. If Thunder are going to win a title, it's going to be Durant that carries them there, not Ibaka, Martin, or Westbrook.

97 bulls
04-06-2013, 06:39 PM
:oldlol: Again, no he didn't.

This was the quote you're referring too.
Ok. So he essentially says the same thing. They both are mindful of their stats. Or FG%. Durant just elaborates more.

97 bulls
04-06-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't necessarily think paying attention to FG% is a bad thing though, especially when they're doing it on a good team. Why should Wade be taking low % shots playing with Lebron, Bosh, and a bunch of sharpshooters? The fact that he's paying attention to this means instead of taking bad shots he realizes he has great teammates and looks to pass up for more efficient opportunities.
I see it as he starts to pass up available shots when his FG% dips below 50%. Shots he woukd normally take. Thus hes not playing to win.

And just for emphasis, people dont knock pkayers like Kobe for taking a lot of shots. Its his shot selelction. He takes way too many bad shots.

97 bulls
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Anyway you spin it, a player with Durant's scoring ability worrying about his %'s is a weakness in his game. The truth is, the Thunder would be better if Durant shot more, and everyone else shot less. If Thunder are going to win a title, it's going to be Durant that carries them there, not Ibaka, Martin, or Westbrook.
I feel Durant was too "safe" in last years finals. Even though he statistically had a strong performance, I feel he shouldve done more.

red1
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE]Russell Westbrook:

toooo
04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I saw this posted awhile back (Durant's response) but the other responses are pretty funny. Westbrook just gained a bunch of respect from me.

esiotrot
04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
how is this guy not the most likeable player in the league

Cause he's kind of a dbag.

Other than that though, great!

longtime lurker
04-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Ok. So he essentially says the same thing. They both are mindful of their stats. Or FG%. Durant just elaborates more.

Dywane Wade was pissed that Tyreke Evans stole the ball from him at the end of the game because he registered a turnover. Of course these guys care about their stats. It's the new breed of superstars PER>all :bowdown:

esiotrot
04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
NBA Leaders in end of quarter heaves (3 seconds or less, 25 ft or more is what I set): http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&year_id=2013&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=25&shot_distance_max=&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=3&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

So the league leader in these shots has taken 25. Obviously these heaves don't affect your FG% that much.

Psileas
04-06-2013, 07:20 PM

I feel Kareem was concerned about certain personal stats as well, at least his second large double figure scoring streak: Within these 10 seasons, without counting the start of the 1987-88 season, he had a suspiciously high number of games with exactly 10 points (20) and none with less, although he did have 3 such games in the postseason (1 in 1982 and 2 in 1987), which, as we know, doesn't account for the official streaks.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I get that most of these guys are concerned w/ their individual statistics, its just annoying to ACTUALLY hear them say it. :oldlol:

chips93
04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Dywane Wade was pissed that Tyreke Evans stole the ball from him at the end of the game because he registered a turnover. Of course these guys care about their stats. It's the new breed of superstars PER>all :bowdown:

he got made because stealing the ball when the game is over is a punk move

chips93
04-06-2013, 07:26 PM
NBA Leaders in end of quarter heaves (3 seconds or less, 25 ft or more is what I set): http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&year_id=2013&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=25&shot_distance_max=&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=3&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

So the league leader in these shots has taken 25. Obviously these heaves don't affect your FG% that much.

dont be surprised when people ignore this, some guys here will try just anything to try and say stats are meaningless.

The_Yearning
04-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Wrong. Westbrook impacts the Thunder much more.

jaydacris
04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
eh, even though its an incredibly low percentage shot, if it goes in.... you're helping your team (usually its 3pointer)

if it misses, the only thing it hurts is your percentage..

pretty selfish in the grand scheme of things

chips93
04-06-2013, 07:32 PM

lebron didnt worry about his %s earlier in his career, and he wasnt a particularly efficient scorer, and his teams weren't great offensively.

then he learned to value possessions, and value efficiency, and since his teams have become offensive juggernauts.

it certainly wasnt a weakness in lebrons game, it brought him to a whole new level offensively.

Graviton
04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
lebron didnt worry about his %s earlier in his career, and he wasnt a particularly efficient scorer, and his teams weren't great offensively.

then he learned to value possessions, and value efficiency, and since his teams have become offensive juggernauts.

it certainly wasnt a weakness in lebrons game, it brought him to a whole new level offensively.
Too bad Durant doesn't have Lebron's passing skill, vision or IQ to do the same. So instead he should accept his role as a scoring machine and destroy teams.

chips93
04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Too bad Durant doesn't have Lebron's passing skill, vision or IQ to do the same. So instead he should accept his role as a scoring machine and destroy teams.

or maybe if he forced more shots, his efficiency would go down, and he would hurt his team? we dont really know.

Graviton
04-06-2013, 07:55 PM
or maybe if he forced more shots, his efficiency would go down, and he would hurt his team? we dont really know.
But he never even tries even when he is hot. He is 6'11 and a better shooter than Kobe/Melo, no way him trying to be more aggressive is a negative. He should have more 50+ point games, specifically ones without 20 free throws.

ShaqAttack3234
04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
There's no indication from those comments or his play in general that he cares about his stats to that degree though. I'm just pointing out, sure he cares about his stats, but just cause he saves himself from shooting 40 footers doesn't mean its to a significant degree. His superior efficiency could just be the result of being a more efficient player in general. Its one thing if he's passing up lower % attempts to teammates with even lower % attempts, cause thats not efficient overall to the team and that would mean he's putting his stats ahead of the team. Thats not the case though.

I think that if he didn't have Russell Westbrook on his team, and had someone that was more of a pass-first PG, he could average close to 35 ppg on better efficiency then Kobe did. Not as efficient as he is averaging 28 ppg, but more efficient then Kobe in 06.

Regardless of the comments, I think it's pretty obvious that Kobe was the better volume scorer and Durant, the more efficient scorer. In his prime, Kobe was definitely more likely to go off for 45-50, even when he was on pretty good teams, while Durant is more likely to get an "easy" 30-35.

If Durant(or pretty much anyone) averaged 35, it wouldn't be on a contending team. Even on a bad team, or mediocre team, I don't think he'd average 35. I just don't think it's his game or mentality as much as it is Kobe's. Same goes for Lebron, those guys score less shooting a much better %, but I'd be surprised if either averaged 35. Not because of a lack of ability.

Durant might average a couple extra ppg without Westbrook, maybe 30, or around there, but without Westbrook's aggressiveness, there's a good chance teams would load up on KD more and send more doubles. I do remember a stat during a OKC game from a month or 2 where they pointed out that a lot of Westbrook's assists are actually to Durant.

Durant averages 28 per game as it is. You need a certain amount of balance so I don't think anything beyond around 30 ppg puts them in a better position. Regardless, the Durant/Westbrook thing has worked for them. They've been in the WCF the last 2 years and the finals the last year. I don't think they necessarily need a different approach to win a title. It depends more on the players around them and how long Miami stays at this level.

I feel Kareem was concerned about certain personal stats as well, at least his second large double figure scoring streak: Within these 10 seasons, without counting the start of the 1987-88 season, he had a suspiciously high number of games with exactly 10 points (20) and none with less, although he did have 3 such games in the postseason (1 in 1982 and 2 in 1987), which, as we know, doesn't account for the official streaks.

It is possible, though I can't remember hearing anything in particular relating to stats. I believe he is aware of them because in his book "Giant Steps", he referred to his '76 season as his best statistical season. Although his '72 numbers were actually better with the exception of the fact that they didn't keep track of blocks and steals yet.

willds09
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I whish kevin durant admits that stern took tha title from him last year

Psycho
04-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I whish kevin durant admits that stern took tha title from him last year

You really gotta start typing things out correctly, I'm starting to have trouble understanding you.

willds09
04-06-2013, 09:16 PM
You really gotta start typing things out correctly, I'm starting to have trouble understanding you.
Try harder its not hard

STATUTORY
04-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Durant wants in on that 50-40-90 club, must be careful. :)

Lebron will also kindof do this, he will not so often neglect half-court line and closer to the basket heaves though (he shoots those like a normal jumpshot), but more like full-court heaves, those he will most likely neglect unless the game depended on it, those are 3pt/fg% killer shots lol

Lebron not only turns down half court heaves but also open jumpers...

so yea kindof

Cliff Paul
04-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Regardless of the comments, I think it's pretty obvious that Kobe was the better volume scorer and Durant, the more efficient scorer. In his prime, Kobe was definitely more likely to go off for 45-50, even when he was on pretty good teams, while Durant is more likely to get an "easy" 30-35.

If Durant(or pretty much anyone) averaged 35, it wouldn't be on a contending team. Even on a bad team, or mediocre team, I don't think he'd average 35. I just don't think it's his game or mentality as much as it is Kobe's. Same goes for Lebron, those guys score less shooting a much better %, but I'd be surprised if either averaged 35. Not because of a lack of ability.

Durant might average a couple extra ppg without Westbrook, maybe 30, or around there, but without Westbrook's aggressiveness, there's a good chance teams would load up on KD more and send more doubles. I do remember a stat during a OKC game from a month or 2 where they pointed out that a lot of Westbrook's assists are actually to Durant.

I agree with your logic. If guys like LeBron or Durant are taking as many shots as Kobe did in 2006, say 27+ a game, I doubt they are able to maintain their current efficiency. I mean by squeezing in more shot attempts than they are comfortable with, they're definitely hurting their own shot selection.

I do think Durant can possibly average 32+ a game, if he had someone like Chris Paul instead of Russell Westbrook. Just my 2 cents.

WilliamsCollege
04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Wrong. Westbrook impacts the Thunder much more.

:facepalm Kevin Durant is the one who carries that team.

Also I agree that if the elite scorers in this game were taking 30 field goals a game, their percentages would almost assuredly be below 50%.

clayton
04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Westbrook with the Kobe killer instinct. :applause:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1225/chi_a_deng_cr_576.jpg

Psycho
04-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Westbrook with the Kobe killer instinct. :applause:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1225/chi_a_deng_cr_576.jpg

:roll: Kobe was blocked on that shot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/6393/deng-blocks-kobe-turns-in-all-around-effort

bdreason
04-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Durant scoring 28ppg 'efficiently' won't get them past the Heat. Is he just going to sit around hoping Martin, Ibaka, and Westbrook can carry them to a title? Because we know that if Durant wants to play passive basketball, then Westbrook is more than willing to come down the court and chuck midrange jumpers all game.

Sometimes you have to take and make bad/tough shots to win championships. Either Durant or Westbrook are going to have to take those shots, who would you prefer?

Chuckbrook
04-07-2013, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=Eat Like A Bosh]Russell Westbrook: