PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony is the hardest person to guard in the NBA, even Kobe said so himself.

tgan3
04-07-2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X4sXWKJwc

Hes pouring 40 a game like its nothing.
Reason his so hard to guard?

He's freaking 6'8, hes strong as a bull, he can shoot 3's, midrange, can post up or go for the layup/dunk. Hes aggressive, he may not be most athletic or fastest guy but he has the best footwork in the NBA (besides maybe Kobe). Hes shifty, uses spacing and his superior strength to his advantage.

Always create mismatches, if you're smaller then him, He just post you up like Shaq/ Or shoot over you. If you're bigger/taller then him he'll easily blow by you.

Complete player on the offensive. :bowdown:

Y2Gezee
04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Durant has said he's the best offensive player in the league several times. Pierce has said he's the hardest player to guard too.

iDunk
04-07-2013, 10:57 PM
According to ISH he's fat & isn't a winner despite never missing the playoffs, having a national championship, & 2 gold medals.

TonyMontana
04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Hardest to guard one on one? I could see that.

LeBron is so great because he has that Magic/Bird feel to his game though where he makes everyone on the team better. Then you add his post game , and improved jumpshot which he has now and you got by far the most complete overall player in the league. Melo is a Me player and doesn't really make anyone better.

A lot of Durants damage is done coming off of screens and his off ball play, so I definitely see a case of Melo being the hardest to guard one on one. Kobe is old now and a ****ing joke at his age.

eSOL
04-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Hardest to guard one on one? I could see that.

LeBron is so great because he has that Magic/Bird feel to his game though where he makes everyone on the team better. Then you add his post game , and improved jumpshot which he has now and you got by far the most complete overall player in the league. Melo is a Me player and doesn't really make anyone better.

A lot of Durants damage is done coming off of screens and his off ball play, so I definitely see a case of Melo being the hardest to guard one on one. Kobe is old now and a ****ing joke at his age.

by coming off screens and his off ball play you mean FT's right?

TylerOO
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
According to ISH he's fat & isn't a winner despite never missing the playoffs, having a national championship, & 2 gold medals.

I heard he also won the rec league when he was 11. Add that to his collection

iDunk
04-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Why would you count that? I'm pretty sure everyone in the league has won a rec league.

ksr90
04-07-2013, 11:05 PM
He's on a little hot streak so what? You fools get so quick to judge players.

Lebrons the hardest to guard in the league and its not even close. Durant, Dirk, Kyrie all behind him.

ThatsGame
04-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Thats funny because LeBron is all of those things too except more so, and he rebounds and assists better. I think the reality is Melo is slightly overrated.

kNicKz
04-07-2013, 11:41 PM

I would love to see you step on a D-1....no D-2 basketball court and score a point :roll: People acting like dominating D-1 ball isn't impressive :roll: :roll: :roll: The Fab 5 must be a joke then because none of them did shit in the NBA

Heavincent
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Why would you count that? I'm pretty sure everyone in the league has won a rec league.

Look behind you and you'll see the joke that just went right over your head.

I.R.Beast
04-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Lebron is not the hardest player to gard...He has no crossover...He's first step or bust getting to the rim..Carmelo and Durant are both harder to guard because Melo has a better shot , post up and hesitation dribbles. Durant is harder to guard because he has a better shot, fundamentals and he has a very nice crossover and crazy length. James is at a point where i using alot of screens and is getting alot of his points in transition.

HelterSkelter
04-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Kobe's not really the best source in this topic..

DuMa
04-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Kobe rarely plays defense and when he does, hes not gonna get matched up against the premiere wings of the NBA for a solid stretch of the game. Hes definitely not the best source.

Melo is top 5 hardest to guard 1 on 1 when he is hot. I'll give him that. But he hasnt shown that consistency over an entire playoff series yet.

dh144498
04-08-2013, 02:50 AM
kobe is rarely wrong about these things. Look at tonight, Melo lighting up the Thunder.

ksr90
04-08-2013, 02:54 AM
LeBron is the hardest to guard because he's so versatile. IR Beast, outside of scoring, nobody has the passing ability that LeBron possesses for a guy his size. That alone makes him the hardest to guard, not because of his offense, or lackthereof. You double him, he kicks it out to the open man for a bucket, play 1 on 1... he'll blow past you, sag off him... he'll get to the bucket with ease. You just hope to stay in front of him and force him to take a tough shot, that's really your only hope.

NewYorkNoPicks
04-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Lebrons the hardest to guard in the league and its not even close. Durant, Dirk, Kyrie all behind him.

I swear some of you fools cut math class too many times.

AVERAGING 28ppg over 70+ games can not be overly skewed over a short "hot streak". Its a season of work

I.R.Beast
04-08-2013, 03:01 AM
LeBron is the hardest to guard because he's so versatile. IR Beast, outside of scoring, nobody has the passing ability that LeBron possesses for a guy his size. That alone makes him the hardest to guard, not because of his offense, or lackthereof. You double him, he kicks it out to the open man for a bucket, play 1 on 1... he'll blow past you, sag off him... he'll get to the bucket with ease. You just hope to stay in front of him and force him to take a tough shot, that's really your only hope.

Passing...really?...when you're guarding someone you're trying to force them to TO the ball or give it p to somone else..why would you factor in passing ability?.... player with more skilled are in most cases tougher to guard. LBJ is first step or bust....he uses lots of screens to beat his man now-a-days.... Physically he's to affect with physically but his lack of any really moves makes him easier to stau in front of than melo and durant.

ksr90
04-08-2013, 03:03 AM
I swear some of you fools cut math class too many times.

AVERAGING 28ppg over 70+ games can not be overly skewed over a short "hot streak". Its a season of work
62 games. I've seen him go on stretches like these far too many times, only to fall back to earth in the playoffs or to end the season. Same shit pops up when this happens too, the overrated, overexaggeration BS from ignorant Knicks fans.

wagexslave
04-08-2013, 03:04 AM
It's cause he's fat... it's hard to reach your arms around his tubby ass

ksr90
04-08-2013, 03:05 AM
True as well.

Tking714
04-08-2013, 03:07 AM
62 games.

nitpick much?

NewYorkNoPicks
04-08-2013, 03:09 AM
62 games. I've seen him go on stretches like these far too many times, only to fall back to earth in the playoffs or to end the season. Same shit pops up when this happens too, the overrated, overexaggeration BS from ignorant Knicks fans.

Were not talking about the playoffs, were talking about a season, an overall level of production throughout his career.

And if you feel a playoff series is such an idicator of ones talent level then why are you minimizing a stretch of 166 points over 4 games, the same length of time a playoff series can be? If a playoff series is a significant enough sample size for you then so should be his current streak

ksr90
04-08-2013, 03:10 AM
Passing...really?...when you're guarding someone you're trying to force them to TO the ball or give it p to somone else..why would you factor in passing ability?.... player with more skilled are in most cases tougher to guard. LBJ is first step or bust....he uses lots of screens to beat his man now-a-days.... Physically he's to affect with physically but his lack of any really moves makes him easier to stau in front of than melo and durant.
Uh because passing is still part of the offense? When you're defending a player, not every time you'll see the offensive player force a shot up. It's another element to his craft if he CANT get a shot up. That's why LeBron is dangerous in every aspect on offense. It's not always about scoring. Same way Magic was hard to guard, Bird, Duncan, all of these guys have so much more to offer on the offensive end.

Graviton
04-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Were not talking about the playoffs, were talking about a season, an overall level of production throughout his career.

And if you feel a playoff series is such an idicator of ones talent level then why are you minimizing a stretch of 166 points over 4 games, the same length of time a playoff series can be? If a playoff series is a significant enough sample size for you then so should be his current streak
These new Miami bandwagoners are something else. All they do is discredit everyone to prop up Lebron. :oldlol:

ksr90
04-08-2013, 03:12 AM
nitpick much?
He said 70+. :confusedshrug: If he's playing every game from here on out, he still wouldn't even reach 70.

thabisyo
04-08-2013, 03:12 AM

:lol
You people are mean

ksr90
04-08-2013, 03:20 AM

I wasn't talking specifically about the playoffs either. Just in general. I mentioned that because this is where his streak currently stands... ending the season, heading to the playoffs. If his little streak happened in the middle of the season, he'd fall back to earth a weeks later and the same stuff would pop up about Melo. Comparisons to the best players in the league would happen. He's a top 5 player to a lot of people this season, probably, so just leave it at that. He's not any lower, not any higher. Perceptions change in a matter of games to kids like you.

Tking714
04-08-2013, 03:38 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Melo, but he comes to play when it matters most. He just hasn't had the pieces fall into place for him.

Back when he was in the West he ran into the Lakers and Spurs one too many times. Those teams eventually won the chips.

03 he was a rook facing MVP KG with that team that Made the WCF and lost to Champ Lakers
04 he lost to second seed Spurs
05 he lost to eventual champ Spurs
06 he lost to a crap Lakers team, but one with Prime Kobe
07 he lost to eventual champ Spurs again
08 he lost to top seeded Lakers who made the Finals, but lost to Boston
09 he lost to the eventual champ Lakers

10 he lost to the Utah Jazz (this was a complete and utter upset I admit)

'11 he carried a crap injured Knicks squad by himself in the first round and lost to the Celtics, but posted monster numbers.
'12 he lost to the eventual Champ Heat

This is the first time he has a healthy, productive Knicks squad. So this is the year that'll make or break him, and he's been producing. But seriously, Look how many times he had to go through the F'in Lakers and Spurs

NewYorkNoPicks
04-08-2013, 03:50 AM
I wasn't talking specifically about the playoffs either. Just in general. I mentioned that because this is where his streak currently stands... ending the season, heading to the playoffs. If his little streak happened in the middle of the season, he'd fall back to earth a weeks later and the same stuff would pop up about Melo. Comparisons to the best players in the league would happen. He's a top 5 player to a lot of people this season, probably, so just leave it at that. He's not any lower, not any higher. Perceptions change in a matter of games to kids like you.

Kids like me? Been watching the game since '95.

Perceptions change based on what people see which is why big performances on nationally televised games allow the masses to view what true fans have seen for a while.

Melos played great the whole season. My perception now is the same as it was at the beginning of the season. Why? I watch every Knick game i can, I know what Melo can do even if some of you are just beginning tofind out

mjokc
04-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Damn, can we have one topic without a Lebron dick sucking fest? Melo is absolutely balling right now and has always been arguably the best scorer in the league. I'm happy to see him get some attention instead of the bashing he always received.

Cali Syndicate
04-08-2013, 04:20 AM
His first step is still one of the most explosive in the game.

Has a quick off the dribble pull up and can actually hit the jumper with solid consistency.

Has range.

Good post game.

Strong.

Clutch.

Yeah. It's arguable but Carmelo has a strong case here.

Bandito
04-08-2013, 06:07 AM
If you think about it Melo is not the most athletic player in the league. Even though he's big he's not fast at all and sometimes looks to be not faster the Metta and he still get his point. Why? Because of his versatility to be able to play from the outside inside with "ease".

As a scorer Melo can do everything from everywhere. So he's not a playmaker? So what? Not everyone is good doing that. I don't know why is the fascination of little kids with stats anyways. Put Melo with a proven good pg and he goes far in the playoffs, as easy as that.

SilkkTheShocker
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
So the "hardest person to guard" in the league has the worst playoff winning pct. ever? Interesting.

Sarcastic
04-08-2013, 09:22 AM
So the "hardest person to guard" in the league has the worst playoff winning pct. ever? Interesting.

What part of "team sport" do you not understand?

SilkkTheShocker
04-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Please, Melo has played on some talented teams during his time in the league.

OmniStrife
04-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Too bad he isn't half as hard to score on...

Sarcastic
04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Please, Melo has played on some talented teams during his time in the league.

And those talented teams played against championship teams as well. Were the Nuggets supposed to beat prime Spurs or prime Lakers?

Get a fcking clue.

NBASTATMAN
04-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Lebron stans have become almost as bad as Kobe stans... :facepalm

Kobe , Melo, Dirk and Durant are the 4 best one on one players.. Lebron is a diff type of player..

wally_world
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I think Westbrook will be in the conversation in time to come

longtime lurker
04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
And here comes the Lebron brigade crying and mad as usual. Face it Carmelo is probably the hardest to guard, is there one topic that you can't leave Lebron out of? I swear you bitches would be having a meltdown if he wasn't voted best looking player in the NBA.

Ronaldinho
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X4sXWKJwc

Hes pouring 40 a game like its nothing.
Reason his so hard to guard?

He's freaking 6'8, hes strong as a bull, he can shoot 3's, midrange, can post up or go for the layup/dunk. Hes aggressive, he may not be most athletic or fastest guy but he has the best footwork in the NBA (besides maybe Kobe). Hes shifty, uses spacing and his superior strength to his advantage.

Always create mismatches, if you're smaller then him, He just post you up like Shaq/ Or shoot over you. If you're bigger/taller then him he'll easily blow by you.

Complete player on the offensive. :bowdown:

:oldlol: Its not a maybe, Kobe has GOAT footwork.

LikeABosh
04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Melo, the hardest player to guard, has shot under 39% in 4 playoffs

HYJ
04-08-2013, 01:59 PM

If I remember correctly they lost to LA Clippers not the LA Lakers?

Nick Young
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Melo, the hardest player to guard, has shot under 39% in 4 playoffs
Blame his shitty teammates and shitty coaches for that.

theBIGjabroni
04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
kill yourself loser

Tking714
04-08-2013, 06:10 PM

I could be wrong but not sure, I definitely remember LA. But he definitely hasn't lost to bottom feeders

qrich
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM

They did. Quinton Ross absolutely frustrated the living shit out of Melo.

21 points per on 33% shooting.

TheReal Kendall
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM

This:applause:

Plus I don't get why y'all keep saying Lebron is harder to guard. You can back off Lebron and let him shoot and his post game sucks. Melo is way better offensively and needs to step up on d

che guevara
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Melo, but he comes to play when it matters most. He just hasn't had the pieces fall into place for him.

Back when he was in the West he ran into the Lakers and Spurs one too many times. Those teams eventually won the chips.

03 he was a rook facing MVP KG with that team that Made the WCF and lost to Champ Lakers
04 he lost to second seed Spurs
05 he lost to eventual champ Spurs
07 he lost to eventual champ Spurs again
08 he lost to top seeded Lakers who made the Finals, but lost to Boston
09 he lost to the eventual champ Lakers

10 he lost to the Utah Jazz (this was a complete and utter upset I admit)

'11 he carried a crap injured Knicks squad by himself in the first round and lost to the Celtics, but posted monster numbers.
'12 he lost to the eventual Champ Heat

This is the first time he has a healthy, productive Knicks squad. So this is the year that'll make or break him, and he's been producing. But seriously, Look how many times he had to go through the F'in Lakers and Spurs
Wtf are you smoking? You got his playoff history completely wrong. He wasn't in the league for the '03 playoffs. In '04 he lost to KG's Wolves, not the Spurs. In '06, he lost to the Clippers, Kobe lost in the first round against the Suns.

And let's not exaggerate his '11 playoff run, he shot 37% for that series, and his only good game was game 2.

Donkey4trading
04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Nobody in the NBA is harder to guard than Lebron James..and if you think otherwise you might not know a thing about basketball

the dude is about to rack up his 4th MVP in 5 years, and had a streak of 30 pt games while shooting 60%+.. if that isn't hard to guard then i don't know what is

PrettyCool
04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Lots of the Lebron pre-teen fan's in this thread.

Cone
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Depends.

Overall its Durant because you have to factor in that no matter what you do, you will be called for a foul. He will score alot from FTs.

If we are talking purely about stopping him from making buckets then its Melo.

Tking714
04-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Wtf are you smoking? You got his playoff history completely wrong. He wasn't in the league for the '03 playoffs. In '04 he lost to KG's Wolves, not the Spurs. In '06, he lost to the Clippers, Kobe lost in the first round against the Suns.

And let's not exaggerate his '11 playoff run, he shot 37% for that series, and his only good game was game 2.

Its not completely wrong, I listed the spurs twice by accident and mixed up the LAs. My point still stands that he only lost to stacked teams. Now that his team is halfway decent you get to see what he does; you can't dispute this

dazzer87
04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Blame his shitty teammates and shitty coaches for that.
:facepalm Not surprised coming from a Kobe stan boy.