PDA

View Full Version : Forbes article on the NBA's Most Overpaid Players

Parps
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Not sure if this is a repost, but an interesting article nonetheless.

Link (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nbas-most-overpaid-players-095806608.html)

dh144498
04-09-2013, 02:57 PM
wow surprised Kobe isnt in there. bubububutt.... he's washed up....

04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I have not read the article yet but I am assuming ISH members will list Jeremy Lin to be deserving to be on it (whether actuallly listed or not).

kennethgriffin
04-09-2013, 03:01 PM

kobe could come out in a wheel chair and sit on the bench for most of the game and he'd still be worth a 100 million dollar per year contract

he is mainly responsible for the lakers signing that multi billion dollar tv deal. the franchise is worth nearly a billion dollars because of kobe

30 mill a year is very underpaid Imo

Harison
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
To claim Melo is the most overpaid is really pushing it. There are 10+ mln. players with close to zero impact, while Melo at least can score at a high volume.

PotOdds
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Nope. Dude has been playing well. Other guys WAY more overcompensated.

I have not read the article yet but I am assuming ISH members will list Jeremy Lin to be deserving to be on it (whether actuallly listed or not).

Scholar
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
I can agree with some on the list, but whoever wrote it is an idiot for including Nowitzki. He was injured earlier, and since returning, the Mavericks are 25-23, which isn't impressive until you look at the roster and realize Dirk is about the only good thing going for the team.

On top of that, he still performs well in the clutch, which, disagree if you will, is a rare quality in a player.

BTW, he's had 5 double-doubles this season, which may not impress many, but one of those double-doubles includes a 21 pt/20 reb game. :applause:

Eh... Who am I kidding? Dirk isn't worth $20 million a year.

I'm surprised Javale McGee wasn't mentioned.

alec613
04-09-2013, 03:15 PM

What's your definition of washed up?:confusedshrug:

SamuraiSWISH
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Kobe is the 2nd best player in basketball, and is a HUGE cash cow for the Lakers. Why on earth would someone consider him overpaid?

Blue&Orange
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Wins produced: 0.7
lol great article, very accurate. :lol

Pushxx
04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Bynum???

04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Nope. Dude has been playing well. Other guys WAY more overcompensated.

You are new here. There is handful of Lin haters on this very site whose main purpose is to nitpick Lin's game, words said to the media, and his ever moves in an attempt to diminish discredit or belittle him. It's like a mental aphrodisiac to them.

They tend to stay in the shadows when he is doing well but will come out swinging like as if their lives depended on it.

Their hatred rival euro soccer fans of rival teams.

Sarcastic
04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Landry Fields makes $7 million per year, and scores what? 4 or 5 points per game?

Psycho
04-09-2013, 03:40 PM
This is a silly article for filthy casuals.

KobeClutchAsFK
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Take Melo off the knicks and I guarantee they have way less wins than they do now. No way has he added only 0.7 wins.

chips93
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
You are new here. There is handful of Lin haters on this very site whose main purpose is to nitpick Lin's game, words said to the media, and his ever moves in an attempt to diminish discredit or belittle him. It's like a mental aphrodisiac to them.

They tend to stay in the shadows when he is doing well but will come out swinging like as if their lives depended on it.

who are these people

your a good poster, but you have some weird complex over lin, looking to defend him, even before anybody has criticized him.

you do this all the time, bring lin into a thread, where nobody has mentioned him.

mrbigshot1
04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Charlie V needs to be on the list.

chips93
04-09-2013, 04:02 PM
fwiw, this isnt a list made by opinion, they just used that one dumb stat 'wins produced', and a players salary.

pretty terrible idea for an article imo

Xiao Yao You
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Take Melo off the knicks and I guarantee they have way less wins than they do now. No way has he added only 0.7 wins.

Are we replacing him with the guys that have helped lead the Nuggets to a 3 seed in the west?

Sarcastic
04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Are we replacing him with the guys that have helped lead the Nuggets to a 3 seed in the west?

Gallo, Wilson, and Mozgov? Sure. They would be much worse with those 3 instead of Melo.

Xiao Yao You
04-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Gallo, Wilson, and Mozgov? Sure. They would be much worse with those 3 instead of Melo.

Koufos. Probably some of their recent draft picks were Knicks picks too no?

Sarcastic
04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Koufos. Probably some of their recent draft picks were Knicks picks too no?

Koufos wasn't a Knick. He was in the trade, but from Minnesota.

None of the picks were from the Knicks yet.

Fudge
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
No Perkins or DeAndre Jordan?!

TheReturn
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
These guys don't know what they're talking about.

Melo, Dirk and Afflalo are not overpaid. The one's they did get right are the easiest ones to pick out, Ben Gordon.. Hedo Turkoglu.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Calling Melo overpaid is stupid. "0.7 wins?" Stat pulled right of ass.

Xiao Yao You
04-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Koufos wasn't a Knick. He was in the trade, but from Minnesota.

None of the picks were from the Knicks yet.

Sorry I was thinking he'd been with the Knicks briefly. Still picks to come from the Knicks. The trade that keep on giving! Denver has been making some good late round picks with Faried and Fournier. They also got Andre Miller for Felton who was part of the deal.

bluechox2
04-09-2013, 05:27 PM
lol they forgot about kobe gasol and howard

Xiao Yao You
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
and Nash

RoundMoundOfReb
04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Lol where did they get that number? according to win shares he has 8.7 which is pretty high.

DonDadda59
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
To claim Melo is the most overpaid is really pushing it. There are 10+ mln. players with close to zero impact, while Melo at least can score at a high volume.

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. Melo is leading the league in scoring, leading the Knicks to their best season in over a decade, and is playing in the largest media market in the country (with his jersey sales skyrocketing). I feel like his pay is commensurate with what he's done this season. PLENTY of guys who should be ranked over him. Isn't Rashard Lewis getting $13.6 mil this season to average 4 PPG off the bench? :oldlol:

Kungfro
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Yea I'm a little sceptical of this wins produced stat. Here's a bit more info on it here (http://www.thenbageek.com/faq) and some arguments against it here (http://ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt.blogspot.ca/2012/01/how-wins-produced-fails-in-being.html).

CeltsGarlic
04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Its seems like FG% is the most important stats to them, not wins , not rings, but that FG% is the key to everything.

Melo, Dirk is definitely not overpaid!!

Xiao Yao You
04-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Its seems like FG% is the most important stats to them, not wins , not rings, but that FG% is the key to everything.

Melo, Dirk is definitely not overpaid!!

Dirk is averaging 17 pts a game on a lottery team. Definitely overpaid!

midatlantic09
04-09-2013, 06:03 PM

He's not overpaid at all and is the primary reason people even watch the Lakers. If it weren't for Kobe, the Lakers fan base would probably drop 60-70%.

TheReal Kendall
04-09-2013, 06:11 PM
All athletes are overpaid

04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
who are these people

your a good poster, but you have some weird complex over lin, looking to defend him, even before anybody has criticized him.

you do this all the time, bring lin into a thread, where nobody has mentioned him.

They know who they are.:roll:

I defend Lin because the back lash he gets is unfair. And these people will stop at nothing to diminish a quality human being (for an NBA player that is).

If it's any NBA player that deserved to be defended it's Lin.

A good defense is a good offense

jcsrplumply
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
:wtf:

04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
All athletes are overpaid

It seems like it's athletes that get this rep.

Meanwhile untalented idiots from reality TV and attractive but bad actors are given millions to star in movies they have no business being in.

Burgz V2
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
in summary: all of them

/thread :lol

SevereUpInHere
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
It's like he made the formula, crunched all the numbers.

Saw that the results were ridiculous and still published the story anyway.

Dude obviously has never watched a game.

Lebron23
04-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Dirk is not overpaid. He's just past his prime. I am not a huge fan of Melo, But he's playing like a top 5 Player in the NBA since the start of the Knicks winning streak.

El Kabong
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Disagree completely with Melo, Nowitzki and Afflalo being on the list. Maybe Kaman too, C's always get more $ and considering someone like Kwame Brown has scored $8 million a year deals, i'd say Kaman being paid that much is fine.

Donkey4trading
04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Lebron is easily the most undervalued player in the league..

dude could go to the BOBCATS and make them instant championship contenders, most likely would win 2 titles at minimum with that current CATS squad..

Y2Gezee
04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Full blown reason why people who try to just use stats to analyze a player's impact don't know the game of basketball.

eriX
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
How landry fields is not on that list is beyond me.

JMT
04-10-2013, 03:09 PM
I defend Lin because the back lash he gets is unfair. And these people will stop at nothing to diminish a quality human being (for an NBA player that is).

Just curious...what makes Lin such a high quality human being? And why is it so easy for you to generalize about the rest of NBA players? What, on the surface, is so different between them and Lin...

Oh. Never mind.

04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Just curious...what makes Lin such a high quality human being? And why is it so easy for you to generalize about the rest of NBA players? What, on the surface, is so different between them and Lin...

Oh. Never mind.

Lol nice try...

I probably wished I wrote my post more precisely. During Linsanity, Jeremy was selfless always giving credit to his teammates for the wins during the streak.

To me that's a breathe of fresh air away from self important prima donnas like kobe, lebron, rwbrook, D12.etc...

But yet hate was spewed his way as though he was on the same a**hole level as the stars mentioned above.

MetsPackers
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Afflalo and Melo both don't deserve to be there. They also tried to give Chandler credit for the Knicks success this year. Chandler missed a lot of games too, and has definitely had games where his impact was minimal as well. Not that I don't like Tyson, but Melo is just a greater part of the Knicks success. And Afflalo had an argument for being Orlando's best or atleast 2nd best player this year and has had a LOT of 20/10 games this year from what i've seen. If you pay your second best player 7mill and he can go for 30 he's not overpaid

DirkNowitzki41
04-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Dirk is averaging 17 pts a game on a lottery team. Definitely overpaid!

this guy is a retard!

start watching games!

Y2Gezee
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Clearly made this list for a good read. Can't put a bunch of guys nobody cares about anymore...but he was way off.

JMT
04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Lol nice try...

I probably wished I wrote my post more precisely. During Linsanity, Jeremy was selfless always giving credit to his teammates for the wins during the streak.

To me that's a breathe of fresh air away from self important prima donnas like kobe, lebron, rwbrook, D12.etc...

But yet hate was spewed his way as though he was on the same a**hole level as the stars mentioned above.

You're still missing by a mile.

Lin engaged in "player-speak". It's the same thing that all athletes in all sports say anytime they're interviewed. "Giving credit to his teammates" is as trite as "we take em one game at a time". Crediting your co-workers with contributing to your success hardly makes someone a "quality human being".

I read these threads, and felt that most of what you call "hate" toward Lin was a leveling out of the ridiculous overreaction to his performance.

That said, some of it was certainly of a racist, hateful nature. Sort of like lumping together a bunch of guys that you don't like, who all happen to be of one racial makeup, and labeling them "self important prima donnas" when they say all the same things during interviews that Lin does.

Unless of course you know Lin and all those other guys personally.

Xiao Yao You
04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
this guy is a retard!

start watching games!

Dallas is in 10th place. What is it that I need to watch? Maybe Dallas will be able to get by paying max to a 17 pts a game player who certainly appears to be on a sharp decline at 35 but they definitely haven't shown it yet.

I know the Jazz can't afford to do it. AK's contract hamstrung them for many years. Al's 15 million a year now is a killer because they won't put him on the bench where he belongs and just recently started running their offense without revolving it around him(not a coincidence that they've been winning lately).

Bandito
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Take Dirk and Anthony of their respective teams and tell me if they are not worth the money. The author of the article is just an ignorant dum dum...