PDA

View Full Version : Spurs waive Stephen Jackson

Hoiids
04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have placed forward Stephen Jackson on waivers.

Jackson, who was in his second stint with the Spurs, saw action in 55 games this season, averaging 6.2 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 19.5 minutes.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13024#ixzz2QIkxML5I

bagelred
04-12-2013, 05:24 PM
In....well this is a shocker.

For those who are inevitably going to ask: NO, he cannot join a team for the playoffs.

Actually, I take that back. I think he COULD be in playoffs IF he's picked up off waivers, but his salary is so high, noone has cap space to do it. So technically yes, but in reality, no...he won't be on a playoff team.

kurple
he's out for the season?

DuMa
very odd move. why make that move at this point of the season?

Batzman
Lies.

Patrick Chewing
04-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Can another team pick him up?

Proctor
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
:biggums: Why is this? Haven't been keeping up with him for a while.

Patrick Chewing
04-12-2013, 05:31 PM

He is ineligible for the playoffs. Just answered my own question.

Poetry
04-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Yes but looks like he won't be eligible to be on a playoff roster.

Bandito
04-12-2013, 05:33 PM
How...Why...could somebody explain to me why would they do this?

HomieWeMajor
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
A playoff team should pick up Captain Jack for him to make a big shot in the playoffs

Young X
Why woould they do this? SMH

niko
So is it official he's an asshole?

Levity
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
his daughter passed away earlier in the season. I wonder if this has anything to do with it, or rather, did something internal happen between him and the team.

willds09
04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Hes going to tha knicks to replace white crossing my fingers:applause:

Andrew Wiggins
04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
he was playing lke crap all season and shooting terrible percentages. with leonard and green playing so well, his role had been minimized anyway. i imagine he was disgruntled with his role and an unhappy jack is more problems than he's worth at this point.

bagelred
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Hes going to tha knicks to replace white crossing my fingers:applause:
:facepalm

PJR
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
He's far too ratchet for Pop & the Spurs these days.

DuMa
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine about 12 minutes ago

Because StepHen Jackson waived by Spurs after March 1, he's ineligible to play in the playoffs for another team

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
There goes Spurs depth.

fragokota
04-12-2013, 05:45 PM
weird timing indeed,but with a coach like pop and a franchise like the spurs, it must have been a needed move

niko
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
his daughter passed away earlier in the season. I wonder if this has anything to do with it, or rather, did something internal happen between him and the team.
They kept him around until his head was on straight so i don't think so (not that your head could be on straight but you get my point).

I love him as a player, he's his own worst enemy.

dunksby
04-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Apparently he "aint bout dis life".

Scholar
04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Hopefully Spurs find their way back to the 1 seed and the Lakers remain in the 8th because this will be a good match-up now for LAL. Manu out, TP possibly still injured & now Cap'n Jax waived? :applause:

jl1718
04-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Spurs and Jackson discussed a release prior to trade deadline, but sides agreed to go forward together for rest of season, source says.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Gregg Popovich and Stephen Jackson have been sparring over Jax's role throughout season; disagreements resurfaced this week, source tells Y!

therammingman
04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
jax gonna go in pops mouth

magmo68
04-12-2013, 06:05 PM
What the F?

-Mo

rmt
04-12-2013, 06:06 PM
There goes the season. Manu out, Diaw with surgery and now SJax waived. Why is all this happening right before the playoffs?

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Diaw is injured, Manu is injured and they waive Jackson with the playoffs around the corner. Second round exit.

Droid101
04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Incredibly stupid move by the Spurs.

He's just the type of guy to go off and win you at least one playoff game... even with "chemistry issues" that landed your team 1st in the conference.

willds09
04-12-2013, 06:08 PM
:facepalm
Come on bro, u know white don't do shit, they don't even let that niguh play anymore:oldlol:

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Incredibly stupid move by the Spurs.

He's just the type of guy to go off and win you at least one playoff game... even with "chemistry issues" that landed your team 1st in the conference.

True, he made some good important shots in the playoffs last season. Fuc king bullshit.

jl1718
Diaw is injured, Manu is injured and they waive Jackson with the playoffs around the corner. Second round exit.
Agree, f%^&ing sucks. Oh well.

LosScandalous
pop aint bout dat life

Droid101
04-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm baffled. First dumb move by the Spurs since the Scola trade that I can think of off hand.

Fudge
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
:biggums: :biggums:

What's gonna happen if they run into OKC? He's probably their best, or only player than can consistently defend Durant.p

rmt
04-12-2013, 06:15 PM

They'll be lucky to survive the first round.

Kwahi is the only SF on the roster now. Diaw had surgery and is out 3-4 weeks - that'd be the middle of the 2nd round if the first round went 7 games. Without Diaw, Manu and SJax, the bench is dangerously THIN. Who are they going to find to replace him and what happens if Leonard gets into foul trouble?

All Net
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Been on the cards...

Shepseskaf
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
People need to stop thinking that Pop is infallible. Imo, he's just a stubborn, angry old man determined to get his way no matter what the consequences.

Still a great coach, but when the Spurs exit in the 1st or 2nd round, some needed scrutiny will be coming Pop's way.

rmt
04-12-2013, 06:20 PM
People need to stop thinking that Pop is infallible. Imo, he's just a stubborn, angry old man determined to get his way no matter what the consequences.

Still a great coach, but when the Spurs exit in the 1st or 2nd round, some needed scrutiny will be coming Pop's way.

I agree. What could possibly be so bad that Pop would waive him at this late stage of the season, right before the playoffs with nobody to replace him? Not only that - they didn't trade his expiring contract before the deadline and get some one to replace him. They dropped salary that they can't replace going forward.

bagelred
04-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Come on bro, u know white don't do shit, they don't even let that niguh play anymore:oldlol:

Can't add Jackson for playoffs.

alexd
04-12-2013, 06:23 PM

yeah but with moves like these he keeps his locker room in place.you get attitude and cause problems?gtfo we don t need you.it s coach first and players after.not the other way around.for spurs a players attitude is more important than his talent.i believe pop had reasons to let him loose.spurs is a serious organization that think twice before they act on everything like who players they get who draft etc etc

BasedTom
04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
:wtf:
What is even the point of waiving players this close to the playoffs? SJax is a great talent and the Spurs just got rid of him for nothing. There must have been some SERIOUS locker room trouble with him to warrant this move.

Shepseskaf
04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
yeah but with moves like these he keeps his locker room in place.you get attitude and cause problems?gtfo we don t need you.it s coach first and players after.not the other way around.for spurs a players attitude is more important than his talent.i believe pop had reasons to let him loose.spurs is a serious organization that think twice before they act on everything like who players they get who draft etc etc
All well and good, but the name of the game is 'winning'. If SA, as the top or #2 seed, doesn't get to the WCF, Pop is going to get some heat.

I haven't liked his act for while now. His attitude during the brief coach's in-game interview is disgusting. He's gotten away with it for far too long, and it just might backfire if he's not getting deep into the playoffs.

For some reason, he reminds of of Bobby Knight -- an old school 'angryman' who lost touch with the game. Once Duncan retires, Pop will lose a valuable ally in the locker room. Younger players are much less likely to put up with his bs in the long term.

SCdac
04-12-2013, 06:33 PM
the spurs most likely weren't winning the championship anyways, and furthermore they peaked too soon (february). Parker hasn't been playing phenomenal like he was earlier in the season either, and that's partly what made the Spurs "deadly". When he comes back down to earth and plays like the player he is the Spurs are just a great playoff team

InspiredLebowski
04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
What is even the point of waiving players this close to the playoffs? SJax is a great talent and the Spurs just got rid of him for nothing. There must have been some SERIOUS locker room trouble with him to warrant this move.Jax hasn't been in a "great talent" in a good while. He's probably done in the NBA.

fragokota
04-12-2013, 06:38 PM

i believe this is the main reason why he got dropped.locker room peace,role hierarchy and team chemistry is very higly regarded in spurs franchise

SCdac
04-12-2013, 06:42 PM
SJackson stats in the months prior to April

Feb: 16 mpg, 5 ppg (.38 FG%) ... Spurs 8 wins/3 losses

Mar: 16 mpg, 5 ppg (.40 FG%) ... Spurs 10 wins/4 losses

- I don't think the Spurs are really reliant on him like say GS was a handful of years ago. Jackson is aged and temperamental, but he does provide a defensive intensity. If he's gone right now, like this, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the Spurs best players (Duncan in particular) even saw this coming. This def seems like somewhat of a premeditated move, as reported.

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
i believe this is the main reason why he got dropped.locker room peace,role hierarchy and team chemistry is very higly regarded in spurs franchise

But is that enough reason to waive him this late in the season? It's the playoffs, you stick with what you have until you win or lose. He was off the books after this season anyway. It would only make sense if they sign someone during the next few days.

daily
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm baffled. First dumb move by the Spurs since the Scola trade that I can think of off hand.

Don't assume it was a dumb move. Jackson can be a huge pain in the butt. Maybe something had gone beyond repairable.

Spurs have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from NBA fans over the years. Clearly more than Jackson ever did.

fragokota
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
But is that enough reason to waive him this late in the season? It's the playoffs, you stick with what you have until you win or lose. He was off the books after this season anyway. It would only make sense if they sign someone during the next few days.

No one doubts that this move could hurt them in the short term,hell i bet even pop and the management acknowledges that,but in the long term moves like that have made the spurs who they are.when there is a problem you better deal with it firmly and while it's still in the beggining so you can set the example

BlackVVaves
04-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Don't assume it was a dumb move. Jackson can be a huge pain in the butt. Maybe something had gone beyond repairable.

Spurs have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from NBA fans over the years. Clearly more than Jackson ever did.

You stick with what you got until your season ends with a title or elimination at this point. Especially when your roster is dropping like flies.

KG215
I know he wan't playing particularly well this year, but as a Thunder fan I'm still glad to see him go. It seemed like he never missed from three in the WCF last year and he could actually somewhat effectively guard Durant.

Haymaker
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h

Gregg Popovich and Stephen Jackson have been sparring over Jax's role throughout season; disagreements resurfaced this week, source tells Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h

Spurs and Jackson discussed a release prior to trade deadline, but sides agreed to go forward together for rest of season, source says.

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--spurs-waive-stephen-jackson-after-disagreements-about-his-role-223252495.html

Full article.

sportjames23
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Spurs gonna get worked over by OKC for sure now if they meet in the playoffs.

ProfessorMurder
04-12-2013, 07:39 PM
That just doesn't even make sense. Why get rid of him now? I mean it's been this long, just wait until the season is over. He's not going to hurt you as a backup SF.

I'm pretty baffled.

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 07:42 PM
He would be a good backup for KD next season. Good acquisition if signed for cheap for anybody.

fsvr54
04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Dude pretty much carried the Spurs in Game 6 of last year's WCF.

Doranku
04-12-2013, 07:53 PM
What an incredible dick move by the Spurs organization to wait he's ineligible to be picked up for the playoffs.

Haymaker
04-12-2013, 08:06 PM
What an incredible dick move by the Spurs organization to wait he's ineligible to be picked up for the playoffs.

It was a mutual decision. Spurs even offered to waive him earlier and let him play for any team he liked. Seems like deep inside he still wanted the Spurs to offer him some kind of extension. He clearly loved playing there.

Phenith
04-12-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm not a Spurs fan, but I like this move from an organizational standpoint, it reinforces the fact that the Spurs are a team instead of a bunch of players. They won't tolerate a disruptive influence, especially at this time of year. He is past his prime and while he could contribute big plays here an there, he clearly wasn't worth the HR troubles the Spurs thought he was capable of causing.

Fudge
04-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Guess its time to pursue dat rap career then? :confusedshrug:

rmt
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
I know he wan't playing particularly well this year, but as a Thunder fan I'm still glad to see him go. It seemed like he never missed from three in the WCF last year and he could actually somewhat effectively guard Durant.

Maybe this is just Pop throwing in the towel on the post season - with Manu's torn hamstring and Diaw's surgery, Spurs won't make it to the WCF to play KD or to the Finals to play Lebron. Stupid move if you ask me.

Assuming SAS/HOU/GSW/DEN stay on the same bracket, SJax wouldn't be needed in the first 2 rounds. But if by chance, they made it to the WCF/Finals, SJax's defense will be sorely missed.

STATUTORY
04-12-2013, 08:29 PM
spurs trying hard to tank to avoid the lakers

researcher
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
There needs to be substantial sanctions here, if you have managed with the locker room issues till now then you can wait a few weeks till playoffs end

steve
04-12-2013, 08:47 PM
People realize that Jackson has been really awful this season, right? They have a 15 man roster has it is and veteran leadership is nice (although do the Spurs really need that?) but they were going to have to make 2 cuts for their playoff roster anyway (and part of the tension probably stemmed from the fact that Pop wasn't going to put him on the playoff roster anyway), especially considering they more useful players on the roster already.

sportsfan76
04-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Great coach my a$$

1. Knocked out of the 1st round in 2011

2. Lost 4 straight in the WCF after going up 2-0

Lebron23
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Bad move by the Spurs Front Office. Captain Jack is still a good defensive player. We might see him play in the PBA in the Governor's Cup.

Solid Snake
04-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Apparently he "aint bout dis life".

:roll:

Fudge
04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Bad move by the Spurs Front Office. Captain Jack is still a good defensive player. We might see him play in the PBA in the Governor's Cup.
lolno.

Levity
04-12-2013, 10:14 PM
if kawhi hits foul trouble, who do they throw on durant?

Lebron23
04-12-2013, 10:18 PM
lolno.

Anything is Possible. 2x NBA Champion DJ Mbenga is currently playing for the Barako Bull.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/522138_436751393080579_343774841_n.jpg

alexd
04-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Great coach my a$$

1. Knocked out of the 1st round in 2011

2. Lost 4 straight in the WCF after going up 2-0

yeah you are right.winning championships,being in the playoffs every year,draft hidden gems almost every year,get respect from all his players and his opponents,being leader of the team instead of letting players do what they want,developing players..what a lousy coach and organisiation.i got an idea.trade him with dantoni and lets see who goes better la or spurs:facepalm

SourPatchKids
04-12-2013, 11:40 PM
:(

SCdac
04-12-2013, 11:43 PM
more I think about it, more I'm reminded of Michael Finley's departure from SA a few years ago... veteran player on his last legs complaining about his role and minutes... team and player eventually had enough, waived during the season.

ProfessorMurder
04-12-2013, 11:55 PM
more I think about it, more I'm reminded of Michael Finley's departure from SA a few years ago... veteran player on his last legs complaining about his role and minutes... team and player eventually had enough, waived during the season.

Great, does that mean Jax will come to Boston and suck like Finley?

R.I.P.
04-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Cause he is a Jack-ass that hurts team chemistry? :confusedshrug:

sportjames23
04-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Cause he is a Jack-ass that hurts team chemistry? :confusedshrug:

That's Captain Jack-ass to you, buddy. :coleman:

Greg Oden 50
04-13-2013, 12:42 AM
1st round exit.............:facepalm

Anaximandro1
04-13-2013, 02:23 AM

Pop must have a good reason to get rid of Jax.

On the bright side,the Spurs finally have a healthy starting lineup.The team still has hope to make the WCF.

rmt
04-13-2013, 03:10 AM

Don't think Finley complained about his role and minutes - he thought Spurs were a sinking ship before ASKING to be let go. He went to Boston and the irony is that Spurs and Manu in particular then went on a roll. Think Boston lost before the Spurs that playoffs.

Nero Tulip
04-13-2013, 03:58 AM
I think they're just giving up. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Timmy and Tony sit out the playoffs.

Big#50
04-13-2013, 04:21 AM
I think they're just giving up. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Timmy and Tony sit out the playoffs.
Jackson ****ing sucks this season. Intangibles, heart, toughness, all that other bullshit Spurs fans bring up when it come to Jack doesn't mean shit. Dude was taking space on the floor. 6 ppg on 38% shooting LOL. He was ****ing slow all year. Tim will bring it this post season. Tony and MANU will be ready by the second round. Leonard wil play 36 mins a game. Let's ****ing go Spurs!!

Big#50
04-13-2013, 04:21 AM
Jackson ****ing sucks this season. Intangibles, heart, toughness, all that other bullshit Spurs fans bring up when it come to Jack doesn't mean shit. Dude was taking space on the floor. 6 ppg on 38% shooting LOL. He was ****ing slow all year. Tim will bring it this post season. Tony and MANU will be ready by the second round. Leonard wil play 36 mins a game. Let's ****ing go Spurs!!

Nero Tulip
04-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Honestly it's over. The team just sucks. We were the best team last year, and should've won the championship, and we choked. Now it's over. It's time to rebuild. No way we win the 2nd round, and I think even Houston has a decent chance at beating us.

niko
04-13-2013, 10:20 AM
It's Stephen Jackson. He's an idiot. He plays with massive heart and is a clutch player but he's a moron and a malcontent. How is this surprising at all?

leopoldstotch
04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I hope the Spurs know what they're doing. The shooting guard/small forward slots are very thin at the moment with manu out. Right now, it's only Leonard, Green, de Colo, and Neal. Unless they're planning on playing Mills and Joseph more at the shooting guard position?

SCdac
04-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Don't think Finley complained about his role and minutes - he thought Spurs were a sinking ship before ASKING to be let go. He went to Boston and the irony is that Spurs and Manu in particular then went on a roll. Think Boston lost before the Spurs that playoffs.

He did. I don't know if there's any public comments from him, but at the time he was dissatisfied with losing the starting job to newly acquired Richard Jefferson. Finley was much more professional all around, but what's common is both of their roles shrunk, both were having poor seasons, and both wanted to leave mid season (reportedly, spurs and jackson were talking about separation around the AS break). Only difference is the timing. Very strategic if you ask me, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Jackson has a history of outbursts alot more than Pop though.

BlackVVaves
04-13-2013, 11:59 AM
He did. I don't know if there's any public comments from him, but at the time he was dissatisfied with losing the starting job to newly acquired Richard Jefferson. Finley was much more professional all around, but what's common is both of their roles shrunk, both were having poor seasons, and both wanted to leave mid season (reportedly, spurs and jackson were talking about separation around the AS break). Only difference is the timing. Very strategic if you ask me, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Jackson has a history of outbursts alot more than Pop though.

I could have sworn Finley left way before Jefferson arrived.

SCdac
04-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I could have sworn Finley left way before Jefferson arrived.

He left the season RJ got there, but Finley sprained his ankle that december and came back later to a small role, then around march 1 was waived.

On a side note, can you believe Finley is still getting paid roughly 5 million per year by Cuban/Mavs till 2015? :lol

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/CubanandFinleyhahaha.jpg[/URL]