PDA

View Full Version : If Lakers win title this season w/o Kobe what will it do too his legacy?

CavaliersFTW
04-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Should it count as his "6th ring" (Which is a big part of the media narrative for Kobe to "equal" MJ)?

Or should it be used against him - as in, the Lakers team suddenly "clicked" without him?

Better pick your sides now just in case it happens!

*EDIT* I also need to pay attention to how to use the word "too/to" :facepalm :lol

daj0264
04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Should it count as his "6th ring" (Which is a big part of the media narrative for Kobe to "equal" MJ)?

Or should it be used against him - as in, the Lakers team suddenly "clicked" without him?

It will prove how much of an overrated cancer he really is and i hope it happens.

bmd
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
In the future, the message boards will be like this:

"Kobe has 6 rings, he's just as good as MJ."

"Yeah but he didn't even play when he won his 6th."

"Yeah but without Kobe they never would have gotten in the playoffs in the first place."

"Yeah they would have, they played better without him."

"No they didn't. They were playing better as a team before he got hurt."

"Not good enough to win an NBA title."

"Yeah, but DiAntoni wasn't getting it done so Kobe's coaching from the sideline is the reason they won the title."

Etc

Etc

To infinity and beyond.

TheReturn
04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
inb4 best player coach ever

IncarceratedBob
04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
The Lakers should be the favorite going into the playoffs.

And it's all because of Kobe Bryant.

Kobe has instilled his iron will into the souls of his teammates and now it's time for them to show all they've learned.

He taught them of preying for the bear, playing with an all time great has an amazing effect. They saw that Kobe gave everything he had just to make the playoffs because of their awful play and now it's time to make the Mamba proud.

Levity
04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
If it happened, the trolls on here would feel a sense of accomplishment, further proving how sad their lives are.

9erempiree
04-16-2013, 03:57 PM
I highly doubt it but if the Lakers win a championship without Kobe, it would only move up his legacy because he got the team to where they are at.

His last 4 games was amazing and he won Player of the Week during his stretch as he went down with the tendon injury.

A team with Kobe is always an improvement and if they win a ring without him only shows how important he was in getting them there.

Kobe was on his way to winning a championship before the injury.

9erempiree
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
The Lakers should be the favorite going into the playoffs.

And it's all because of Kobe Bryant.

Kobe has instilled his iron will into the souls of his teammates and now it's time for them to show all they've learned.

He taught them of preying for the bear, playing with an all time great has an amazing effect. They saw that Kobe gave everything he had just to make the playoffs because of their awful play and now it's time to make the Mamba proud.

Basically this.

When you have future hall of famers on your team and you're the most successful player since Jordan, they can definitely learn a few things.

White Mamba
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
bulls won a series without MJ what a cancer:facepalm

please ppl, Lakers got the best center a great PF another great PG they can win games.

spurs full of injuries, if lakers face them, watch out.

Heavincent
04-16-2013, 03:59 PM
If it happened, the trolls on here would feel a sense of accomplishment, further proving how sad their lives are.

Actually, many of the Kobe detractors are also Heat/Lebron bandwagoners, so the Lakers winning would also mean that Lebron didn't get it done with the most stacked team in the league. That would probably lead to many of them disappearing.

DMAVS41
04-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Lakers winning the title over the Heat would literally be the worst outcome possible for Kobe and Lebron fans.

It would be hilarious actually. I never really thought about what that would mean...

The internet might break. Certainly ISH would...down for a week at least.

Patrick Chewing
The Lakers are not winning the title this season

bmd
I highly doubt it but if the Lakers win a championship without Kobe, it would only move up his legacy because he got the team to where they are at.

His last 4 games was amazing and he won Player of the Week during his stretch as he went down with the tendon injury.

A team with Kobe is always an improvement and if they win a ring without him only shows how important he was in getting them there.

Kobe was on his way to winning a championship before the injury.I can read you Kobe fans like a book. You basically said what I said in my post above.

CavaliersFTW
04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Lakers winning the title over the Heat would literally be the worst outcome possible for Kobe and Lebron fans.

It would be hilarious actually. I never really thought about what that would mean...

It's quite a paradox isn't it nobody really wins in the classic Lebron/Kobe arguments because Lebron would lose to a Kobe-less Lakers and Kobe fans would be scratching their heads about how the Lakers won a title w/o Kobe - there would just be awkward silence and mass confusion on ISH :lol

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Can't say Kobe and Bron stans wouldn't be humbled, hah!

dh144498
04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
it would do nothing to Kobe's legacy. Why would it do anything?

on the other hand, Lebron's legacy will be greatly diminished.

Doctor Rivers
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
In the future, the message boards will be like this:

"Kobe has 6 rings, he's just as good as MJ."

"Yeah but he didn't even play when he won his 6th."

"Yeah but without Kobe they never would have gotten in the playoffs in the first place."

"Yeah they would have, they played better without him."

"No they didn't. They were playing better as a team before he got hurt."

"Not good enough to win an NBA title."

"Yeah, but DiAntoni wasn't getting it done so Kobe's coaching from the sideline is the reason they won the title."

Etc

Etc

To infinity and beyond.

100000% this

SpurrDurr
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
For the non-Kobe Stans it will be a catch 22.
If somehow LAKERS manage to win the title it' ll be cause Kobe carried the team during the regular season (mostly true) and for his coaching abilities due his injury. While if they lose, it will be only cause Kobe is out.
Win-Win scenario in their sick minds.

Leviathon1121
04-16-2013, 04:23 PM

And yet you hold it against Jordan that his team got to the ECSF's without him. You are such an unbelievable hypocrit.

daj0264
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Surely a team that can win the championship without kobe would have been able to get into the playoffs without him.

9erempiree
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Surely a team that can win the championship without kobe would have been able to get into the playoffs without him.

you know that wasn't going to happen.

BBallZen83
04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Lakers aren't winning shit, and they weren't winning shit with him either. Irrelevant question for serious discussion.

IncarceratedBob
04-16-2013, 04:29 PM
You simpleton.:oldlol:

Kobe is the Los Angeles Lakers.

Even without him on the floor you feel his presence, you hear his voice telling you to shoot, drive to the basket, he will live forever.

This team is firing on all cylinders, and you know why? It's Kobe.

He gave up everything HE had for the good of the team, he knew that if the Lakers made the playoffs that they could win it all without him due to the lack of true superstars and the amount of injuries in the NBA. If a weak Miami team can be the favorite, can you really blame Kobe for thinking the Lakers sans Mamba could win it all?

Kobe is the reason why they are the team they are, Kobe is the reason they are the best team in the NBA. Kobe is.

BBallZen83
04-16-2013, 04:34 PM
You simpleton.:oldlol:

Kobe is the Los Angeles Lakers.

Even without him on the floor you feel his presence, you hear his voice telling you to shoot, drive to the basket, he will live forever.

This team is firing on all cylinders, and you know why? It's Kobe.

He gave up everything HE had for the good of the team, he knew that if the Lakers made the playoffs that they could win it all without him due to the lack of true superstars and the amount of injuries in the NBA. If a weak Miami team can be the favorite, can you really blame Kobe for thinking the Lakers sans Mamba could win it all?

Kobe is the reason why they are the team they are, Kobe is the reason they are the best team in the NBA. Kobe is.
Time to hobble back to your cave troll, and take your bag of non sequiturs with you. You are either brain damaged/heavily medicated or some one interested in making kobe look worse, not better.

lakerspng
04-16-2013, 04:35 PM
If the Lakers somehow won the championship this year, I would be f'n thrilled! Kobe's legacy is fine, he'll have a chance to get another ring while playing dring the playoffs and finals next season. He's the major reason the Lakers are even sniffing the playoffs right now. I don't give them much chance, but I'll be screaming and yelling at every play in every game. Go Lakers! The only legacy that matters is the purple and gold one. One game at a time, starting tomorrow night against Houston.

OldSchoolBBall
04-16-2013, 04:44 PM

:roll:

Kobe stans: where barely squeaking into the playoffs (and only doing so because of a ton of favorable officiating the last couple of weeks) = being on the way to a championship. :roll:

9erempiree
04-16-2013, 04:50 PM
His legacy is just fine and he's the best player on the team and if the team wins a championship.....

It would just mean that he has 6 rings and he's chasing #7.

tpols
04-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Obviously it would boost it since the only way their winning is with Coachbes expert strategizing, game planning, and motivating. He would basically deserve the FMVP if they won.

pegasus
04-16-2013, 05:07 PM

*EDIT* I also need to pay attention to how to use the word "too/to" :facepalm :lol

Well, they had been "clicking" for the most part since the all-star break, hence their record, despite all the games Gasol and Nash have missed. Kobe, Howard, and the rest of the guys were playing much better cohesively, so if the Lakers go on some magical run and win it all, it should be seen as the extension of the good things that have been happening in the last three months.

Having said that, it ain't happening! If it did, every team in the playoffs, except for the Bucks and the Hawks should just kill themselves - or better yet - each other.

AlphaWolf24
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
It's quite a paradox isn't it nobody really wins in the classic Lebron/Kobe arguments because Lebron would lose to a Kobe-less Lakers and Kobe fans would be scratching their heads about how the Lakers won a title w/o Kobe - there would just be awkward silence and mass confusion on ISH :lol

Heck naw!....

Kobe sacrificed his own personal glory.....he intentionally pushed his foot and ripped his Achilles...on purpose.

Kobe's IQ is off the charts.....he knew by bieng injured is the only way to get his teammates all on the same page.

He knew if he could at least get them close to the playoff's this Laker team was good enough to make the Playoff's and contend. ( they simply could not play inspired with all the injurys and Kobe dominating so much.....

by bieng injured, He could help coach/inspire this team to possibly an NBA Title.

If you think outside the box......It's actually a very brilliant move by Kobe......Kobe sacrificing and doing whatever it takes to win yet again.

How great is our GAWD!!

spacebump
04-16-2013, 05:15 PM
He would still need 4 Finals MVPs to catch Jordan. He would still be arguably the second greatest Laker of all time.

dh144498
04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Heck naw!....

Kobe sacrificed his own personal glory.....he intentionally pushed his foot and ripped his Achilles...on purpose.

Kobe's IQ is off the charts.....he knew by bieng injured is the only way to get his teammates all on the same page.

He knew if he could at least get them close to the playoff's this Laker team was good enough to make the Playoff's and contend. ( they simply could not play inspired with all the injurys and Kobe dominating so much.....

by bieng injured, He could help coach/inspire this team to possibly an NBA Title.

If you think outside the box......It's actually a very brilliant move by Kobe......Kobe sacrificing and doing whatever it takes to win yet again.

How great is our GAWD!!

:bowdown:

IncarceratedBob
04-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Heck naw!....

How great is our GAWD!!
You know what Alph? I think I just realized something.

What if Kobe didn't actually tear his achilles and this is all a huge hoax to get his teammates rolling and to bring another championship to LA?

It reminds me of Batman sacrificing all he had to save the image of Harvey Dent, Kobe is assuming a role, the role that Los Angeles needs right now..

AlphaWolf24
04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
You know what Alph? I think I just realized something.

What if Kobe didn't actually tear his achilles and this is all a huge hoax to get his teammates rolling and to bring another championship to LA?

It reminds me of Batman sacrificing all he had to save the image of Harvey Dent, Kobe is assuming a role, the role that Los Angeles needs right now..

Yes...YES......YES!

now you understand.....

"because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Dark KnightBE..."

DonDadda59
04-16-2013, 05:59 PM
The Lakers, with or without Kobe, aren't winning shit this year. So the question is irrelevant.

If this were Bizarro world though and the Lakers defied all odds and won, it would do nothing for Kobe's legacy as his career, for all intents and purposes, is over. It would do wonders for Dwight's, Pau's, Nash's, and D'Antoni's legacies though.

Goldrush25
04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
It would do nothing but help his legacy. Without Kobe they don't sniff the playoffs. He kept this team on life support while everyone else was getting their feet under them.

OldSkoolball#52
04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Right now, with 5 ringz, hed be ranked somewhere around Rodman who also has 5 ringz. Now if he gets a sixth while playing, he can move closer to Pippen. But if they get one with him out, hes still stuck just behind Rodman.

SpecialQue
04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Nothing.

sportjames23
04-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Damn, that would be like matter and anti-matter colliding. The repercussions of such an event...

Ancient Legend
04-16-2013, 08:21 PM
FMVPs is all that matters in the end. The most valuable player when it counts the most. Who cares if he scored 47 pts against the 10th seed Blazers?
Could he score the same 47 points in the finals against the Heat? Of course he couldn't.

Well, maybe, but on 12-44 shooting.

ripthekik
04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
if this really happens, in the last game of the finals he'll come out, stand on a spot, make a shot, then leave the game. :pimp:

therefore he was present for his 6th ring :pimp:

IGOTGAME
04-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Kobe would still make the gameewinning coaching adjustments and be FMVP.

Yao Ming's Foot
04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
For Kobe so loved the Lakers, that he gave his only begotten Achilles, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting championships.

La Frescobaldi
04-16-2013, 10:18 PM

it's the whole "win one for the Gipper" scenario

http://scaredmonkeys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Reagan_gipper.jpg

treadster
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
nothing. because kobe himself brought lakers the playoffs, and lakers should be thankful for that

Nevaeh
04-16-2013, 11:01 PM
For Kobe so loved the Lakers, that he gave his only begotten Achilles, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting championships.

Your User Name is like soooooooooooo ironic now. How you been, son?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

secund2nun
04-16-2013, 11:26 PM
The Lakers are a better team without Kobe. If they can get past the first round they could make a run to the finals where they would lose to Miami.

Yao Ming's Foot
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Your User Name is like soooooooooooo ironic now. How you been, son?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

My username was made like a week or two before Yao went down wasn't meant to make fun of him.

Yao is one of my favorite players of all time.

Mrofir
04-17-2013, 01:39 AM
I really can't tell who is trolling and who is just delusional in this thread. I really can't. I know some of you are kidding about the coachbe stuff and inspiration dark knight stuff, but some of you presumably aren't... :wtf:

Deuce Bigalow
04-17-2013, 03:41 AM
CavsFTW, can you remind me of Kobe's ring count please? And how much more is that than Wilt?

RoundMoundOfReb
04-17-2013, 03:43 AM
CavsFTW, can you remind me of Kobe's ring count please? And how much more is that than Wilt?
As a Basketball player Wilt >> Kobe

Random_Guy
04-17-2013, 03:48 AM

this :roll:

Deuce Bigalow
04-17-2013, 03:49 AM
As a Basketball player Wilt >> Kobe
LOL

guy
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
It would do nothing but help his legacy. Without Kobe they don't sniff the playoffs. He kept this team on life support while everyone else was getting their feet under them.

I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't think of it like this at all, and would probably assume the Lakers would've done much better in the regular season if Kobe wasn't there at all to the point that struggling to make the playoffs would've never even been something that happened. The perception would be that he was holding this team back and this perception would increase even more as the years go by. No one in their right mind can say that this team doing better without him, especially to that degree, wouldn't hurt his legacy. Of course, its a slim chance of happening anyway so it doesn't really matter.

SacJB Shady
04-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I think the odds went down to 100 to 1. And those odds were probably too high too. Why do people act like this is a legit possibility. I say 100,000 to 1 odds. First the have to make the playoffs. And if they did manage to pull of those odds it would be because Duncan, Giniboli, and Leonard all got hurt. Then Durant and Westbrook both got hurt, then in the finals say Lebron got hurt. All that would have to happen in order for the 100,000 to 1 odds to come intro fruition.

Heavincent
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't think of it like this at all, and would probably assume the Lakers would've done much better in the regular season if Kobe wasn't there at all to the point that struggling to make the playoffs would've never even been something that happened. The perception would be that he was holding this team back and this perception would increase even more as the years go by. No one in their right mind can say that this team doing better without him, especially to that degree, wouldn't hurt his legacy. Of course, its a slim chance of happening anyway so it doesn't really matter.

It really wouldn't do anything to his legacy. Sorry.

DMAVS41
04-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Luckily it's not going to happen, but if it did...you are insane to think it wouldn't impact how people thought of Kobe.

It would definitely call into question why the team struggled so much and why Kobe hogged the ball so much when he had a team capable of winning the title without him surrounding him.

Wouldn't be fair in my opinion. but that is what would happen. Although I do think, regardless of what happens, that Dantoni and Kobe should have found a way to get the rest of the team going more often.

chazzy
04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
:lol "Died for our wins"

pegasus
04-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Luckily it's not going to happen, but if it did...you are insane to think it wouldn't impact how people thought of Kobe.

It would definitely call into question why the team struggled so much and why Kobe hogged the ball so much when he had a team capable of winning the title without him surrounding him.

Wouldn't be fair in my opinion. but that is what would happen. Although I do think, regardless of what happens, that Dantoni and Kobe should have found a way to get the rest of the team going more often.

Kobe played well all season long, and his team struggled only in the first half, mainly because of several injuries and being a newly assembled team and their dumb coach. They've been one of the, I'd say, top-5 hottest teams entering the playoffs, so it's not like they would be making an 180 without Kobe.

Ne 1
04-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Yup. His legacy is pretty safe with the 5 rings and more than a dozen years of great play. Even if the Lakers did manage to somehow win without him that wouldn't erase those years and rings. The Bulls were one controversial call away from the Finals after replacing Jordan with a CBA journeyman named Pete Myers. Let's say they did win in 1994 would that have erased anything Jordan accomplished or somehow hurt his legacy? No. He was already regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of the game and nothing would change that.

Bandito
04-17-2013, 12:43 PM
"Yeah, but DiAntoni wasn't getting it done so Kobe's coaching from the sideline is the reason they won the title."This is my excuse.

ripthekik
04-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeap. Only thing it's going to hurt is lebron's legacy, And oh it's going to hurt if this happens :oldlol:

Bandito
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
My username was made like a week or two before Yao went down wasn't meant to make fun of him.

Yao is one of my favorite players of all time.
Yao would've been dominant in this soft ass league if he was healthy. Dwight does not hold a candle to great Wall of China:bowdown:

Bandito
04-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeap. Only thing it's going to hurt is lebron's legacy, And oh it's going to hurt if this happens :oldlol:
Actually this is true. If they lost, they would lose to a Kobeless Lakers...:roll:

guy
04-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Anyone that thinks this is clearly delusional. It wouldn't mean it wouldn't still be one of the greatest players ever, but it would clearly hurt his legacy.

Is He Ill
04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Anyone that thinks this is clearly delusional. It wouldn't mean it wouldn't still be one of the greatest players ever, but it would clearly hurt his legacy.

No it wouldn't. Lebron's legacy on the other hand... But in all honesty, Lakers have no shot without Kobe.

guy
04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Yup. His legacy is pretty safe with the 5 rings and more than a dozen years of great play. Even if the Lakers did manage to somehow win without him that wouldn't erase those years and rings. The Bulls were one controversial call away from the Finals after replacing Jordan with a CBA journeyman named Pete Myers. Let's say they did win in 1994 would that have erased anything Jordan accomplished or somehow hurt his legacy? No. He was already regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of the game and nothing would change that.

They didn't win though. In fact, they weren't even close to winning (they weren't one call away from the Finals, they were one controversial call+one more win+one entire series from getting to the Finals). And yes, if somehow that happened, that would hurt Jordan's legacy in the sense that it wouldn't be as great as it is now. But even that wouldn't be as bad as this. In that hypothetical scenario, the Bulls go from champions with Jordan to champions without Jordan. In this hypothetical scenario, the Lakers go from a team struggling to get in the playoffs with Kobe to champions without Kobe.

And if we just compare this hypothetical scenario to what actually happened to the Bulls, then the Lakers going from a team struggling to get in the playoffs with Kobe to champions without Kobe is WAY DIFFERENT then the Bulls going from champions with Jordan to losing in the 2nd round without Jordan.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
No it wouldn't. Lebron's legacy on the other hand... But in all honesty, Lakers have no shot without Kobe.

Actually, you're wrong. It would. It would hurt his legacy a lot.

guy
04-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Yes it would. All year there have been people criticizing Kobe's leadership and his ability to adjust to this team. And for his whole career, his leadership has been questioned and his importance to his teams, specifically his championship teams, have been questioned. All this would do is validate that criticism. Not saying its fair or not, but that is what would happen.

dh144498
04-17-2013, 02:03 PM
it would hurt Lebron's legacy more than it hurts Kobe's, which is almost none.

Heavincent
04-17-2013, 02:04 PM

How would that affect all of his past accomplishments? It wouldn't change the fact that he's generally regarded as the best player of the 2000's. It wouldn't change the fact that he won five rings and put up huge numbers throughout the decade. Not to mention that the Lakers looked a lot better in the second half of the season with Kobe. He's their best player, so this notion that they're somehow better without him is just...asinine. It's so ridiculous it doesn't even warrant a response really.

Like others have said, Lebron's legacy would be far more damaged if the Lakers won the title (which obviously isn't happening, Heat have got this).

Leviathon1121
04-17-2013, 02:04 PM

You Laker fans have been using the 94 Bulls against Jordan for YEARS, don't suddenly change your tone now. And for the love of god, when are you guys going to get it right, the Bulls were not one call away from the finals, freaking Laker fans...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-17-2013, 02:05 PM
You Kobe fans have been using the 94 Bulls against Jordan for YEARS, don't suddenly change your tone now. And for the love of god, when are you guys going to get it right, the Bulls were not one call away from the finals, freaking Kobe fans...

FTFY dude. :cheers:

Heavincent
04-17-2013, 02:12 PM
And for his whole career, his leadership has been questioned and his importance to his teams, specifically his championship teams, have been questioned.

Who? A few ISH trolls? Kobe's contributions to his championship teams aren't really up for debate.

99-00 - Emerging superstar. Had a bunch of great moments in the playoffs.
00-01 - top 3 player (4th best at worst). Completely dominated the playoffs and regular season.
01-02 - Still a top 3-5 player. Not quite as great at the previous year, but he was still dominant.
08-09 - arguably the best player in the league. Was the best player in the playoffs. FMVP.
09-10. Once again was the best player in the playoffs. FMVP again.

Who's really gonna question any of that, apart from a few ISH trolls?

HorryIsMyMVP
04-17-2013, 02:12 PM
For LA to have a chance Nash would have to come back on whatever steroids Kobe was using.

Ne 1
04-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Who? A few ISH trolls? Kobe's contributions to his championship teams aren't really up for debate.

00-01 - top 3 player (4th best at worst). Completely dominated the playoffs and regular season.
01-02 - Still a top 3-5 player. Not quite as great at the previous year, but he was still dominant.
08-09 - arguably the best player in the league. Was the best player in the playoffs. FMVP.

2001 he was top 2 or 3, hard to put him lower after the playoffs. 2002 I'd say he was 2002 top 3 with 2 or 3 players challenging, but top 3 still feels right.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Relax man. It's just a hypothetical. :oldlol: LAL winning a championship without Kobe is highly doubtful. A miracle even.

Heavincent
04-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Relax man. It's just a hypothetical. :oldlol: LAL winning a championship without Kobe is highly doubtful.

I know. The Lakers weren't going anywhere, with or without kKbe.

guy
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM

No one is saying it would completely wipe out his importance to those teams.

If this happened, put it like this. A lot more people would be saying Duncan was the best player of this era, which a lot of people already do say. Many people would change their opinion on where he ranks and wouldn't consider him above players like Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Lebron, Moses, West, or Oscar like alot of people already do. It would further validate what many people believe that by far the biggest reason players like KG, Dirk, Lebron, etc have only 1 title while Kobe has 5 (6 in this case) is because they didn't play for nearly as many good teams as opposed to him being any better then them. It would make the question of him being equal or better then Jordan 100x more laughable then it already is.

Of course, its not going to happen, but you would have to be delusional to think his legacy wouldn't take a hit if it did. This would be unprecedented if it happened. The only way it wouldn't take a hit is if D'Antoni got fired and he took over as coach and took them to the championship. :oldlol:

Ne 1
04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=guy
If this happened, put it like this. A lot more people would be saying Duncan was the best player of this era, which a lot of people already do say. Many people would change their opinion on where he ranks and wouldn't consider him above players like Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Lebron, Moses, West, or Oscar like alot of people already do. It would further validate what many people believe that by far the biggest reason players like KG, Dirk, Lebron, etc have only 1 title while Kobe has 5 (6 in this case) is because they didn't play for nearly as many good teams as opposed to him being any better then them. It would make the question of him being equal or better then Jordan 100x more laughable then it already is.
[/QUOTE]

:oldlol: Hilarious that Kobe detractors actually believe such non-sense. We were actually a legit threat to come out of the West and give Miami a run for their money going into the playoffs with Kobe, now it's unlikely we will go anywhere without him but even if a miracle did happen and we did, I don't see how it take anything away from 34 year old 17th year Kobe Bryant. If anything it would say more about Dwight and Pau Gasol and be a credit/boost to them as players rather than discredit Kobe in anyway.

guy
04-17-2013, 03:13 PM
:oldlol: Hilarious that Kobe detractors actually believe such non-sense. We were actually a legit threat to come out of the West and give Miami a run for their money going into the playoffs with Kobe, now it's unlikely we will go anywhere without him but even if a miracle did happen and we did, I don't see how it take anything away from 34 year old 17th year Kobe Bryant. If anything it would say more about Dwight and Pau Gasol and be a credit/boost to them as players rather than discredit Kobe in anyway.

:oldlol: WHAT????? The Lakers haven't been a legit threat to do anything all season. Squeaking out wins against teams like the Blazers and Warriors doesn't make them a threat to do anything. And I'm not saying they are a threat now, but if they become that, yes that hurts Kobe's legacy.

Ne 1
04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
The Lakers haven't been a legit threat to do anything all season. Squeaking out wins against teams like the Blazers and Warriors doesn't make them a threat to do anything.

So nobody was talking about the Lakers getting hot at the right time and that they could upset the Spurs and make a run for the Finals?

And I'm not saying they are a threat now, but if they become that, yes that hurts Kobe's legacy.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DMV2
04-17-2013, 03:47 PM
It wouldn't hurt Kobe's legacy at all. Kobe being carried by teammates to another championship ring?

This scenario is a perfect fit to Kobe's legacy. :lol

Rysio
04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
coachbe passes phil jackson for the best coach of all time. :applause:

guy
04-17-2013, 03:59 PM
So nobody was talking about the Lakers getting hot at the right time and that they could upset the Spurs and make a run for the Finals?

I heard people saying they may upset the Spurs but alot of that has to do with them being banged up as well. Thats a legit opinion but most didn't think it was likely. But who the **** seriously considered them to make the Finals?

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Yea, and the opinion of any reasonable non-delusional person.

I don't understand why some Kobe fans are being so delusional about this. Do you really think the Lakers actually have a chance to win it all, so you're defending Kobe just in case this actually happens? Cause if thats the case then wow, thats surprising.

chosen_wun
04-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Of course it would change people's perception on his impact, but unjust since he's in his 17th season and has already solidified a HOF career regardless of what has transpired this season.

It's an impossible feat though, never going to happen ever.

Quintilianus
04-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Nothing, he's not playing, how can it do anything to his legacy?

longtime lurker
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
What would it do to his legacy? It would only improve his legacy because Kobe sacrificed himself to get his team into the playoffs. Same number of rings as Jordan :roll: haters would be on suicide watch

Nevaeh
04-18-2013, 07:57 AM

But Kobe was the leader of the team though, right? "My Team (his words, remember?)", with the highest usage rating, and shot attempts on the team, period. When he was leading, doing his "Wilt Chamberlain Thang", the Lakers were struggling (yes, STRUGGLING) to stay in 9th place. Your boy goes down, and they cruise into the 7th spot like it ain't sh!t.

I remember the days when you and the clan would wait years to try and rewrite history. Now you're trying to do the sh!t within a week? Gotta love ISH man, GOTTA love it!!

:cheers: :oldlol:

dh144498
04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Kobe leads Lakers to multiple championships, haters: "he doesn't deserve any of the credit."

Kobe is out of the playoffs due to an injury, Lakers lose, haters: "Kobe deserves all the credit for the Lakers' loss."

:biggums:

:wtf:

dafuq did I just see? What kind of logic is this? :roll:

Heavincent
04-18-2013, 11:30 AM
But Kobe was the leader of the team though, right? "My Team (his words, remember?)", with the highest usage rating, and shot attempts on the team, period. When he was leading, doing his "Wilt Chamberlain Thang", the Lakers were struggling (yes, STRUGGLING) to stay in 9th place. Your boy goes down, and they cruise into the 7th spot like it ain't sh!t.

I remember the days when you and the clan would wait years to try and rewrite history. Now you're trying to do the sh!t within a week? Gotta love ISH man, GOTTA love it!!

Actually, you're the one rewriting history. Kobe was the biggest reason they got into the playoffs. They were already on a roll before Kobe got hurt (18-9 after the all star break with Kobe and 5-1 in April).

Winning 2 games = cruising? :oldlol: :facepalm You're acting like they went on a 10 game winning streak without him or something.

dh144498
04-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Lakers were already in the 8th seed when Kobe got injured and he was the reason why they were even above .5.
These haters' revisionist history, gotta love it!! :roll:

BlueandGold
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Lakers rally behind Bryant, kobe gets his 6th as player-coach.

Mrofir
04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Lakers would have lost to both the Spurs and the Rockets if Kobe was playing hero ball for those 2 games.

Leviathon1121
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Kobe leads Lakers to multiple championships, haters: "he doesn't deserve any of the credit."

Kobe is out of the playoffs due to an injury, Lakers lose, haters: "Kobe deserves all the credit for the Lakers' loss."

:biggums:

:wtf:

dafuq did I just see? What kind of logic is this? :roll:

Haven't seen anyone say this, quotes, links, something?

chazzy
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Lakers would have lost to both the Spurs and the Rockets if Kobe was playing hero ball for those 2 games.
Yeah if Kobe was playing, they would probably shoot around 36% from the field

imnew09
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM

I know right... Lakers shot 36%, and 31% from 3s :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nevaeh
04-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Actually, you're the one rewriting history. Kobe was the biggest reason they got into the playoffs. They were already on a roll before Kobe got hurt (18-9 after the all star break with Kobe and 5-1 in April).

Winning 2 games = cruising? :oldlol: :facepalm You're acting like they went on a 10 game winning streak without him or something.

Just like that clown was acting like the Bulls were one call away from winning the Finals with a journeyman replacing MJ. Just giving him a dose of his own bullshit, that's all.

retaxis
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
real question is how does this team match up against 09 orlando?

Dwight is still dwight
Pau is around rashad
metta is similar to turk
nash/blake is similar to nelson

Fillers/role players be role players

This should be interesting!

Mrofir
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I know right... Lakers shot 36%, and 31% from 3s :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm so very surprised to get this reaction...

You know what the Lakers are thinking right now? We just played 2 awful games where we couldn't hit a shot, and we still beat two playoff teams back to back in meaningful games. They are feeling pretty good about themselves right now, trust me they are not worried about their FG% the last couple games.

You can point to stats all you want, but the most important one is the final score. Besides the W, it's interesting to note that they've held the last 2 opponents under 100 pts. When's the last time they did that? And one of those opponents was Houston, in an OT game. The other was the 4th highest scoring offense in the league, SA.

JellyBean
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Yes it will count as his 6th ring. He was on the roster. Without him there is no playoffs for the Lakers. Also this will not hurt his legacy at all if the Lakers win without him. Sure some people will make noise about how the Lakers "found the will to win the whole thing" But again, without Kobe's leadership there is no playoffs. So in order for the Lakers to win the whole thing, they would have to get into the playoffs. So Kobe put the team on his back blew out a wheel getting the team to the playoffs. No Kobe. No playoffs for the Lakers. His legacy will not be hurt if the Lakers win without him.

Mrofir
04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes it will count as his 6th ring. He was on the roster. Without him there is no playoffs for the Lakers. Also this will not hurt his legacy at all if the Lakers win without him. Sure some people will make noise about how the Lakers "found the will to win the whole thing" But again, without Kobe's leadership there is no playoffs. So in order for the Lakers to win the whole thing, they would have to get into the playoffs. So Kobe put the team on his back blew out a wheel getting the team to the playoffs. No Kobe. No playoffs for the Lakers. His legacy will not be hurt if the Lakers win without him.

Ok I'm building an imaginary team called the Puppeteers, here is the roster.

Starters

Nash
Blake
MWP
Pau Gasol
Dwight Howard

Bench

Antawn Jamison
Earl Clark
Jodie Meeks
Jordan Hill (currently injured of course)

Does this team make the playoffs?

The answer is yes.

lol at abandoning all sense of logic or reason.. you acknowledge that there is some chance the Lakers could win a title, and in the same breath try to argue that this contending team is also a lottery team.

If you want to make some iota of sense you would just dismiss the entire thread and say the lakers will get swept in the 1st round by the spurs. Because that's what happens to lottery teams that end up in the playoffs somehow.

Can I be any more clear?

A non playoff team cannot win a championship, or a 1st round series.

If you acknowledge there is any chance this team can advance, you cannot make the argument that it is a non-playoff team without looking like a complete homer. Cognitive dissonance running rampant.

guy
04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Some of you don't seem to get it. Sure, he's a big reason they ended up getting in the playoffs. But if they actually look better without him, especially to the point that they win a championship, there will be alot of critics saying that if Kobe wasn't playing for this team during the season at all and the whole dynamic was different from the beginning, the Lakers would've been better off and would've never struggled to make the playoffs in the first place. So all this talk about Kobe getting them to the playoffs in the first place is irrelevant.

Ancient Legend
04-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Some of you don't seem to get it. Sure, he's a big reason they ended up getting in the playoffs. But if they actually look better without him, especially to the point that they win a championship, there will be alot of critics saying that if Kobe wasn't playing for this team during the season at all and the whole dynamic was different from the beginning, the Lakers would've been better off and would've never struggled to make the playoffs in the first place. So all this talk about Kobe getting them to the playoffs in the first place is irrelevant.

Someone who gets it :cheers:

04-18-2013, 06:15 PM
I hope the Lakers win this year.

Kobe will throw a hissy fit if they win it all without him chucking away.

Watch Pau get FMVP and watch Kobe try to have run out of town just he did with Shaq.

AlphaWolf24
04-18-2013, 06:40 PM

WTF?...

LA has been playing much better since the Allstar break...:confusedshrug:

Orlando Magic played great without Dwight last year....that means DH was counter productive to Orlando?

jeez.

TheBigVeto
04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Kobe would count any ring he would get, even though he got carried in all of them.
Real basketball fans know that Kobe = 0 ring.

chazzy
04-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Why was this even discussed? The opposite end of the spectrum (horrific offense in an embarrassing sweep) doesn't boost him either