PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson was an overrated ball hog.

TAZORAC
04-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Allen Iverson was in the perfect situation, he played on teams where nobody else really cared about scoring tons of points. Iverson was an overrated ball hog, who with his style of play could have never been effective with another superstar. He would have never won a championship. Had he ever learned how to play POINT GUARD he probably would still be in the NBA.

Iverson is just another overrated player who was in the perfect situation to make himself look better then what he actually was.

D.J.
04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
He was a legit MVP at his peak and a 40-50 point threat any time he stepped on the court. The reason he's not still in the NBA is his ego, not his unwillingless to play the point.

tgan3
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Allen Iverson was in the perfect situation, he played on teams where nobody else really cared about scoring tons of points. Iverson was an overrated ball hog, who with his style of play could have never been effective with another superstar. He would have never won a championship. Had he ever learned how to play POINT GUARD he probably would still be in the NBA.

Iverson is just another overrated player who was in the perfect situation to make himself look better then what he actually was.

:facepalm

Just shut your mouth. Iverson was NOT overrated. He was an amazing scorer whose averages were behind those of JORDAN and WILT in his prime days. He consistently averages 6-7 APG/ per season.

and let me repeat he was NOT A POINT GUARD for christ sakes. He played Shooting Guard. Its like telling a Center he should learn how to play PG. :hammerhead: :banghead:

OldSkoolball#52
04-16-2013, 11:09 PM
I agree he was a selfish, overrated, counterproductive, overall liability player.

I have him ranked slightly above Kobe all time.

LLK21
04-16-2013, 11:12 PM
I agree he was a selfish, overrated, counterproductive, overall liability player.

:biggums:

Psycho
04-16-2013, 11:13 PM

:lebronamazed:

ripthekik
04-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Ok, definitely Silkk. What's up, fagggot.

che guevara
04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
He was a legit MVP at his peak and a 40-50 point threat any time he stepped on the court. The reason he's not still in the NBA is his ego, not his unwillingless to play the point.
No, he's not in the league because he has zero redeeming skills once his quickness left. He's a below average shooter, and once you take away his quickness and ability to penetrate, you have nothing of value left. He'd be a complete liability on defense, too.

Did you miss how bad he was with the Pistons? And that was 4 years ago.

Goldrush25
04-16-2013, 11:23 PM
What did they ever put around him while he was in his prime? A bunch of scrubs. The only reason they made it to the NBA Finals was because of him. He had to be ball-dominant.

Takes more than a great player to win a championship. It takes an organization that knows how to build around that player.

Genaro
04-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know why Kobe and/or Lebron are brought in EVERY ish thread.

bizil
04-16-2013, 11:38 PM
See I think AI was who he was. He was an epic scorer, one of the premier passers EVER at SG, had big balls, big heart, and has a legendary resume on top of it. At one time he was the most popular basketball player in the world and redefined the L in terms of image and being an extra small but DOMINANT SG. AI would have been an HOFer at PG, but Larry Brown had the vision to see AI was more of a SG mentality wise. LB said **** the size I'm gonna put AI at SG and start a bigger PG in Snow to defend the SG's. Genius move LB did with that Sixer team.

Very few players are perfect across the board. AI's main flaw to me was catching a case of extreme hero ball. Or going on big time heat checks when he knew he was hot. But u can't deny he was still a great passer to go with it. AI's talent and legacy WON'T allow me to say's he's overrated or a ball hog. If anything he didn't play on teams STACKED with talent long enough to really maximize his opportunity to win rings. On an individual level, his resume and legacy is speaks for itself.

TAZORAC
04-16-2013, 11:42 PM

Just shut your mouth. Iverson was NOT overrated. He was an amazing scorer whose averages were behind those of JORDAN and WILT in his prime days. He consistently averages 6-7 APG/ per season.

and let me repeat he was NOT A POINT GUARD for christ sakes. He played Shooting Guard. Its like telling a Center he should learn how to play PG. :hammerhead: :banghead:

He was a guy who ran around and shot the ball all day. Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving, and a host of other midgets could do the same thing. Have you ever played organized basketball?

OldSkoolball#52
04-16-2013, 11:57 PM
He was a guy who ran around and shot the ball all day. Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving, and a host of other midgets could do the same thing. Have you ever played organized basketball?

Well to be fair to AI, he had to shoulder a huge scoring load while also being a consistent source of cancer for the team.

dh144498
04-17-2013, 12:35 AM

:roll: :lol

mrpibb
04-17-2013, 12:36 AM
k.

D.J.
04-17-2013, 12:38 AM
No, he's not in the league because he has zero redeeming skills once his quickness left. He's a below average shooter, and once you take away his quickness and ability to penetrate, you have nothing of value left. He'd be a complete liability on defense, too.

Did you miss how bad he was with the Pistons? And that was 4 years ago.

He can still be a decent shooter and accept a limited role if his ego allowed it. He averaged 17/5 as a Piston. Maybe poor for AI standards, but not exactly what I'd call bad.

Cali Syndicate
04-17-2013, 12:47 AM

HiphopRelated
04-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Agreed, I have no respect for scorers that consistently need 25+ shots to produce. That '03 season was a disgrace to the term superstar

32MJ32
04-17-2013, 12:58 AM
These threads get made weekly, it seems.

I'm gonna assume the OP didn't see AI play in his prime. Yes, his game had its faults but to call him an "overrated ball hog" is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

He was as great a scorer as the game has ever seen, tough as nails, competitive as they come and a ballhawk on defense. Totally relentless. AI's offensive brilliance was the reason the Sixers could get away with a roster of defensive minded players. He created almost everything for them on offense and played 43-44 minutes a night.

There's no current day NBA comparison for AI - other than maybe Derrick Rose. No one player has the pressure to carry a team's offense like AI did in Philly.

Also, AI showed that in a system with more help, he could be just as efficient as any other great scorer. His Denver numbers stand up against any high scoring guards. The list of guards with seasons averaging over 25ppg and a TS% (FG

Chrono90
04-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Multiple scoring titles & steal titles.
Season MVP.

Enough said.

Heavincent
04-17-2013, 01:22 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

che guevara
04-17-2013, 01:29 AM
He can still be a decent shooter and accept a limited role if his ego allowed it. He averaged 17/5 as a Piston. Maybe poor for AI standards, but not exactly what I'd call bad.
No, it was definitely bad. He was horribly inefficient, and the Pistons, a team that finished with 39 wins, played noticeably with him OFF the floor. They were +3.1 points per 100 possessions with him off the floor compared to on, and this isn't a tiny sample size, the Pistons played 1964 minutes with him and 2012 minutes without him. This is reflected in their record too, they were 15-13 without him compared to 24-30 with him. I watched that Pistons team closely (at least until it became clear that they were totally dysfunctional), they were my favorite team in the mid to late 00's, and he was an epic disaster.

And again, he's a below average shooter. "Decent" depends on your definition, but there's no doubt that he's below average; you can find tons of players in the D-league who can fill the role of shooter better than Allen Iverson.

HorryIsMyMVP
04-17-2013, 01:38 AM
If you can get into the first round of the play off's and win a game with Melo on your team as the ball hog AI was that at least says something. I mean I'm sure they were fighting for the ball.

TheBigVeto
04-17-2013, 01:40 AM

Dude is right.
Iverson is a better version of Kobe. Both are ballhog chuckers.

Patrick Chewing
04-17-2013, 01:45 AM
Season MVP.

Enough said.

Piss poor attitude, wannabe thug, no rings.

Velocirap31
04-17-2013, 01:45 AM

:lol I see what you did there.

WayOfWade
04-17-2013, 02:34 AM
I wouldn't say say he was an overrated Ball hogger. In fact, I'd say his ball hogging skills were underrated.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-17-2013, 02:42 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
04-17-2013, 02:43 AM
His teams were structured for him to shoot as much as he did.

luckylucy
04-17-2013, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=32MJ32]These threads get made weekly, it seems.

I'm gonna assume the OP didn't see AI play in his prime. Yes, his game had its faults but to call him an "overrated ball hog" is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

He was as great a scorer as the game has ever seen, tough as nails, competitive as they come and a ballhawk on defense. Totally relentless. AI's offensive brilliance was the reason the Sixers could get away with a roster of defensive minded players. He created almost everything for them on offense and played 43-44 minutes a night.

There's no current day NBA comparison for AI - other than maybe Derrick Rose. No one player has the pressure to carry a team's offense like AI did in Philly.

Also, AI showed that in a system with more help, he could be just as efficient as any other great scorer. His Denver numbers stand up against any high scoring guards. The list of guards with seasons averaging over 25ppg and a TS% (FG

RoundMoundOfReb
04-17-2013, 02:51 AM

Big#50
04-17-2013, 03:13 AM
He was tough as ****. Can't knock a player like that. Dude was small and would drive on anyone and everyone.

magic chiongson
04-17-2013, 03:16 AM
iverson is easily a better basketball player than kobe if they were to play right now

Mr. Jabbar
04-17-2013, 03:20 AM
A great player, too bad kobe denied him any chance at a ring and out shined him on every category

spacebump
04-17-2013, 03:29 AM
A great player, too bad kobe denied him any chance at a ring and out shined him on every category

More like Shaq denied him, switch their centers and AI wins.

LJJ
04-17-2013, 03:32 AM

I give this a D for content, but a B+ for presentation.

That's good trolling right there.

TAZORAC
04-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Season MVP.

Enough said.

Do you know how many non-superstars in the NBA could win scoring titles if they had the green light to shoot whenever they wanted?

GOATbrookisGAWD
04-17-2013, 03:45 AM

Silkk you're a phagg0t.

OhNoTimNoSho
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM

I hate you. I hope you contract syphillis.

brain drain
04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Iverson was much worse than his raw stats made him look. Inefficient chucker with high point totals on bad percentages on offense, defensive gambler with high steals numbers but little overall impact on defense.

Of course, many people never looked past the high ppg, high steals and flashy crossovers and probably still think he was one of greats.

Jlamb47
04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Iverson is not overrated. Crazy how he averaged so many points being that little. Dude carried his team as well to whoever think hes better then kobe is crazy talk.

ILLsmak
04-17-2013, 01:48 PM
See I think AI was who he was. He was an epic scorer, one of the premier passers EVER at SG, had big balls, big heart, and has a legendary resume on top of it. At one time he was the most popular basketball player in the world and redefined the L in terms of image and being an extra small but DOMINANT SG. AI would have been an HOFer at PG, but Larry Brown had the vision to see AI was more of a SG mentality wise. LB said **** the size I'm gonna put AI at SG and start a bigger PG in Snow to defend the SG's. Genius move LB did with that Sixer team.

Very few players are perfect across the board. AI's main flaw to me was catching a case of extreme hero ball. Or going on big time heat checks when he knew he was hot. But u can't deny he was still a great passer to go with it. AI's talent and legacy WON'T allow me to say's he's overrated or a ball hog. If anything he didn't play on teams STACKED with talent long enough to really maximize his opportunity to win rings. On an individual level, his resume and legacy is speaks for itself.

nice.

-Smak

Chrono90
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Do you know how many non-superstars in the NBA could win scoring titles if they had the green light to shoot whenever they wanted?

Yes they will score points in games here and there but they wouldn't average 30plus the whole 82 games for multiple seasons.

You sound like you're a fan but you dont really play the game. It takes more than a non-superstar to average 30plus for 82 games. Consistency doing it is the key.

Chrono90
04-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Piss poor attitude, wannabe thug, no rings.

6 feet tall, smaller than most ppl & better than most

Element
04-17-2013, 03:12 PM
The only thing that really hurt was his Kobe-esque shot selection. Dude was bombing away every time he caught the ball 15 ft out (and still managed 41% from 16-23 despite his size and awful shot selection).

He was an elite finisher even during the GOAT defensive era (00-04) and could penetrate at will. Very underestimated playmaking ability (had some sick ass 30/10 games) and when the handcheck was removed and he turned 30+ years old, he went out and posted 33pg@55 TS%. Became more efficient in Denver, when he got talent around him.

I blame his Rookie Sixers squad for encouraging him to chuck all day and not focus as much on D, AI was a great defender in college. And I blame 76ers for discounting the 01 Model and instead of adding just one or two legit scorers, they revamped the whole team, removed all those defensive/rebounding players while adding soft scorers like Korver.

Of course he was also one of the most exciting and swagged out players to ever grace the court. But I guess that's mostly irrelevant on ISH, since you can't find that piece of information on basketball-reference.

f0und
04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
there is nothing impressive about winning the scoring title while shooting 39%.

miggyme1
04-17-2013, 05:17 PM

WHO IS THAT CHICK IN YOUR AVATAR? DAMN

Euroleague
04-17-2013, 05:20 PM

The reason he's not in the NBA now is because he sucks and he could not even hack it at Eurocup level (level below the Euroleague) two years ago.

Johnny Jones
04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
The reason he's not in the NBA now is because he sucks and he could not even hack it at Eurocup level (level below the Euroleague) two years ago.

Rubio2Gasol
04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/57806-Game-of-thrones-3x03-you-miss-hdlk.jpeg

knicksman
04-17-2013, 07:24 PM

well lebron plays like that so you mean lebron is also overrated

crisoner
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/57806-Game-of-thrones-3x03-you-miss-hdlk.jpeg

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Game of Thrones.....I am a fan as you can tell by my Avy

Ikill
04-17-2013, 07:29 PM

Perfect situation for scoring a lot of points because he didn't have offensively talented player not cause they didn't care about scoring. Having a bad supporting is never a good situation. He would never be effective playing with another superstar even though he had his most efficient season playing alongside Melo. If he learned how to play pg explain to me what the **** that means.

Ikill
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
well lebron plays like that so you mean lebron is also overrated
Yeah Lebron plays like a scoring pg thats basically his role the reason he isn't hated on for being a scorer as a pg is because he's listed as sf. nba players get listed as a position based on their size but if a player is listed as pg you expect them to pass a lot because there running the offence. Its stupid how people hate on smaller players for trying to be scorers but not the bigger players that are playing the exact same role.

D-Wade316
04-17-2013, 11:17 PM
His fans(die hard) are piece of shit.

Dr.J4ever
04-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Iverson was a great scorer who played with a lot of heart. He played best when the stakes were highest. If you were in a war, would you like him on your side or against you?

Having said that, at the end of the day, he didn't make his team mates better. That is the true test of a great player---making your team mates play better.

LJJ
04-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Also there was a player in Europe named Alain Iversen who was much better.

Legends66NBA7
04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
He doesn't even get that much praise anymore. Infact, they guy gets blasted for all his faults. I don't even think him being viewed on title teams would be enough to convince fans.

So I don't see how he's overrated, nor am I saying he's underrated. He's rated about right where he should be, I suppose...

comerb
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Stringer Bell
07-26-2014, 04:28 AM
He was a tough player to work around due to his styles

Entertaining as hell to watch

poido123
07-26-2014, 04:58 AM
OK buddy.

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 05:14 AM
well, coaches generally had a problem keeping him off the court.

ralph_i_el
07-26-2014, 09:12 AM

They built those teams around him. They didn't get ball dominant scorers for a reason.

To4
07-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I dunno why ISH hates A.I, I know he is a head case and got a big ego and all.. If he was not a chucker then whats the use of him on the 76ers? Hell.. If Kobe was in that team he will be chucking as well..

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 09:33 AM
They built those teams around him. They didn't get ball dominant scorers for a reason.

that just reminded how fun and easy the 2 A.I. days were to root for.

I guess it made him felt that he might be able to strive under a western conference system.

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 09:35 AM
I dunno why ISH hates A.I, I know he is a head case and got a big ego and all.. If he was not a chucker then whats the use of him on the 76ers? Hell.. If Kobe was in that team he will be chucking as well..

probably them press conferences.

oh yes, we talking about press conferences.

HurricaneKid
07-26-2014, 10:24 AM
He was great fun to watch but he never really got it. Could break down anyone but didn't use that remarkable skill as well as it could have been used. Had no shame in his hoisting.

His MVP is shameful to the entire sportswriting industry. He played 150 more possessions than Shaq (<2 games) and wasn't even close to his impact on either side of the ball.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
His influence extended beyond the court as well. More than almost any player in the history of the game. For better or worse...

theaussieguy
07-26-2014, 04:22 PM
at the end of the day he was a 5'10 guard with some of the freakiest and unique ability the league has ever seen that took a team TO THE FRIKKING NBA FINALS, at 5'10!!!.

**** all your stats, the guy is no doubt a legend. But in saying that, he is the epitome of bad sportsman ship and he represents the lack of such in America. You would never ever see an Australian, British or European athlete saying "we talking about practice". From a young age we are taught that if you cannot show upto practice, you don't deserve to play and that goes for every player no matter how good you are. Its engrained into us from a young age. America tends to shoot itself in its own foot by building these guys up as superstars from a young age, everyone greasing their cocks everywhere they go. Iverson thought it was ridiculous they were talking about practice, anyone with a shred of sportsmanship or perspective can see that the fact Iverson had the nerve to say that, well its clearly indicative of someone stuck so far up their own ass that they cannot properly understand the significance of why such a thing might be important. You can't really blame him its America's inclination to cater and grease these guys from a young age that gives them this sense of unhinged entitlement.

This is why I can honestly say Dante Exum will assuredly be a successful player in the league and for a long time. Sure he woulda been cool and popular cos of basketball and sport, but over here in Australia hes still a regular kid. The majority of people would still be unaware of who he is, even Australian NBA fans. He grew up a normal life and he knows he ain't hot sh!t other than on the basketball court. Its no ****ing surprise so many of these top draft picks turn out to be busts, they have been damaged from a young age cos of america's overbearing and obsessive sporting culture.

KNOW1EDGE
07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Allen Iverson is pound for pound the best basketball player of all time.

GOBB
07-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Allen Iverson is pound for pound the best basketball player of all time.

And this idiot called me annoying as f*ck, oh the irony :rolleyes:

duskovujosevic
07-26-2014, 05:43 PM
allen iverson is the most influental basketball player in the 21st century. both in or off the court.

i do believe his jersey is one of the best selling worldwide
he introduced sleeves into the game
brought crossover on the next level
crazy haircut, reebok commercials, crazy shoes
kids were obsessed with his moves
opposed to stern, broke dress code rules
had arguments with larry brown.

the angel and the devil in 5'10'' basketball genius.

masonanddixon
07-26-2014, 07:24 PM
If he were white with the exact same skillset he'd have been out of the league within 3 seasons.

Shih508
07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
can't imagine AI played his prime in today's rule.

35 ppg 45% fg taking 23 shots a game for 5 consecutive seasons while still being the most influential player ever other than MJ!

atljonesbro
07-26-2014, 09:12 PM
People overrate him due to aesthetics of his play. Career 52 TS%. Incredibly inefficient.

Shih508
07-26-2014, 09:12 PM

This is where I would rank him too.

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
07-26-2014, 09:24 PM
.416fg% age21
.461fg% age22
.412fg% age23
.421fg% age24
.420fg% age25
.398fg% age26
.414fg% age27
.387fg% age28
.424fg% age29
.447fg% age30
.442fg% age31
.458fg% age32
.417fg% age33
.430fg% age34

career avg of 3.6 TO. Prime seasons avged 4.6,4.4,3.5, all around there.
Avged 24.9 attempts per game in his prime, from age 23-30 on .418%

Dam lol thats inefficent as a mofuka. He is pretty overrated. He had heart and is a good story to hear about, but if he was on my team I sure as hell would rip the hair outta my head. lol I think this should shut a few of you up

SupermanOnSteroids
07-26-2014, 09:45 PM
i remember the days when he was an active player. yes he was a ball hog, but definitely not over rated. the dude had the biggest heart in the league and did everything he could do to win (outside of practicing). its just that he didn't have the mental capacity to grasp a team concept TO ITS FULLEST EXTENT. If Iverson in his prime was put on the 2014 Spurs, the Spurs would self destruct. he would force it upon himself to take over a game and destroy the offensive flow of the game. he didn't have the talent of kevin durant or the physical ability of lebron, but he had the heart of MJ. individually he is one of the greatest players to every play the game, but incredibly tough to build a successful team around.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-26-2014, 09:55 PM
if your description of allen iverson is "ball hog" odds are you didnt actually watch him play in his prime....dude was a GREAT off ball scorer...chucker - yes..ball hog -no

masonanddixon
07-26-2014, 09:56 PM
i remember the days when he was an active player. yes he was a ball hog, but definitely not over rated. the dude had the biggest heart in the league and did everything he could do to win (outside of practicing). its just that he didn't have the mental capacity to grasp a team concept TO ITS FULLEST EXTENT. If Iverson in his prime was put on the 2014 Spurs, the Spurs would self destruct. he would force it upon himself to take over a game and destroy the offensive flow of the game. he didn't have the talent of kevin durant or the physical ability of lebron, but he had the heart of MJ. individually he is one of the greatest players to every play the game, but incredibly tough to build a successful team around.

LOL so you mean you get paid millions of dollars and can take as many terrible shots as you want, play no defense whatsoever, never pass the ball, and don't have to work hard nor show any accountability--and are rewarded on top it it all.

Sounds like a pretty good job description!

Iverson is nothing more than a passing cultural phenomenon, and the objective workings of history doesn't take kindly to these sorts of people.

KBaller33
07-26-2014, 11:22 PM
at the end of the day he was a 5'10 guard with some of the freakiest and unique ability the league has ever seen that took a team TO THE FRIKKING NBA FINALS, at 5'10!!!.

**** all your stats, the guy is no doubt a legend. But in saying that, he is the epitome of bad sportsman ship and he represents the lack of such in America. You would never ever see an Australian, British or European athlete saying "we talking about practice". From a young age we are taught that if you cannot show upto practice, you don't deserve to play and that goes for every player no matter how good you are. Its engrained into us from a young age. America tends to shoot itself in its own foot by building these guys up as superstars from a young age, everyone greasing their cocks everywhere they go. Iverson thought it was ridiculous they were talking about practice, anyone with a shred of sportsmanship or perspective can see that the fact Iverson had the nerve to say that, well its clearly indicative of someone stuck so far up their own ass that they cannot properly understand the significance of why such a thing might be important. You can't really blame him its America's inclination to cater and grease these guys from a young age that gives them this sense of unhinged entitlement.

This is why I can honestly say Dante Exum will assuredly be a successful player in the league and for a long time. Sure he woulda been cool and popular cos of basketball and sport, but over here in Australia hes still a regular kid. The majority of people would still be unaware of who he is, even Australian NBA fans. He grew up a normal life and he knows he ain't hot sh!t other than on the basketball court. Its no ****ing surprise so many of these top draft picks turn out to be busts, they have been damaged from a young age cos of america's overbearing and obsessive sporting culture.

Iverson's practice rant is blown way out of proportion. He was mad they were talking about practice at that press conference. He never said he despises practice or doesn't practice at all. He was mad that he was the MVP, played hard each every night, gave it all for his team, and all anyone wanted to talk about was practice and his trade rumors. That rant was just the day after they eliminated from the playoffs too. So there was a lot of frustration that spilled over that day.