PDA

View Full Version : The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Pages : [1] 2

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Let's go. First stop lottery!

El Kabong
04-18-2013, 06:20 AM
#1 pick!

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I'd look to trade it. They don't need a young 3 man bigs rotation though Noel could make some sense coming off injury. He might not be back until mid December and than could be sent to D-League for rehab for a while than if he forces their hand with his play there they could make a move. Might be in tank mode by that point of the season anyway. With Favors possibly in line for a Hibbert type contract it would be a lot easier to let him go with Noel sounding like the same type of defensive presence.

One scout says McLemore is better than Ray Allen But others don't think much of him.

C.J. McCollum sounds like the best fit at the one to me and he is projected to be picked in the middle of the first.

Could look at a sf. With Burks and Hayward running the offense there might be room for another young guy there and a posssible replacement for G if he gets a Batum like deal thrown at him.

Other than a combo guard to play alongside Burks and G they should be looking at guys to leave in Europe or the D-League unless they are better than the young guys they alreay have and I'm not sure those players are in this draft so trades are fine with me.

With a GM from SA I hope they start using their formula. They used the D-League for a while this year. Not sure why Murphy didn't go back there after they got healthier though?

Could look at the best player available and once Paul signs with the Clpps and Bledsoe becomes available they can make their move for him.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE]Bill Oram: Marvin Williams, who has an early out: "I haven

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2013, 09:35 PM
David Locke: Dennis Lindsey "Tyrone Corbin is our coach and has the Miller family full support." Twitter @Lockedonsports

Bill Oram: Lindsey: "By and large Ty did an outstanding job of managing nine pending free agents and four quality big men." Twitter @tribjazz

Not surprising. Couldn't see them eating his contract. Whatever complaints you might have about him I'd argue that they have overachieved the past two years.

The talk that things would be different with Jerry are funny too. I had similar complaints about Jerry but nothing would have changed. Ty was slow to make adjustments but he has. You can see him growing with his young team.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2013, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE]I

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Jason Washburn from the University of Utah has been invited to work out for the Jazz before the draft. I assume Brandon Davies of BYU will too. Maybe Noah Harstock again since he was still rehabbing last year when they brought him in.

El Kabong
04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
My biggest problem with Corbin was his rotations, but I imagine that'll clear itself up a bit next year with one or both of Jefferson and Millsap leaving.

All up for trading the pick, they have a young enough core, so you need to start adding some firepower that fits with what they're building with.

I think Marvin will stay, unless he gets a long term $6 million+ offer elsewhere, which I cannot see happening.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Yeah I think you have to look at the team the front office has given him and what he inherited. You can't put it all on him. Next year should truly be his team and we can judge him a lot more harshly.

Marvin won't opt out I'm sure but he has an expiring contract that needs to be moved even if it means bringing back more money/years etc. Just like they took on his ETO to get rid of Harris' expiring contract and shitty play.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2013, 04:20 AM
With three and a half point guards on the team — the three being veteran free agents and the half being a two-guard who is unlikely to make a career at the position, the Utah Jazz are bound to make changes at the point guard position in the offseason. Deseret News

They forgot McNeal who I could see being back on the cheap if he impresses this summer and in the fall. As a combo guard he could fit with G and Burks more than the 2 old guys anyway. One of which has to go! Hopefully Watson.

Mo Williams did say he would love to return to the team that drafted him with the 47th pick back in the 2003 NBA Draft and then re-acquired him this past offseason in a four-team trade with the Los Angeles Clippers. “Absolutely, they know that,” he said. “First off, I was drafted here. This was the organization that gave me a shot when I first came in the league when I was a young pup. I’m at a point in my career where stability is the key and this is an organization that is top notch and cares about winning.” Deseret News

Tinsley, who joined the Jazz in 2011 after spending a season in the D-League, is grateful to the Jazz for giving him a chance and expressed a desire to stick around another year. “I would love to come back here, but that ain’t up to me,” he said. “I don’t control that, I let my agent control that.” Deseret News

Watson, who injured his right knee late in the 2012 season and rehabbed throughout the offseason, was uncertain about his plans for next year. “I don’t know, I don’t know,” he said. “It’s a long way from now. The first thing is to get healthy. My main thing now is getting healthy, because if I can’t contribute 100 percent healthy, I’d rather contribute doing something else.” Deseret News

So Watson has been playing hurt? That's news.

El Kabong
04-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Yeah I think you have to look at the team the front office has given him and what he inherited. You can't put it all on him. Next year should truly be his team and we can judge him a lot more harshly.

Marvin won't opt out I'm sure but he has an expiring contract that needs to be moved even if it means bringing back more money/years etc. Just like they took on his ETO to get rid of Harris' expiring contract and shitty play.
Yea, I do understand that he wasn't in a clear situation, where normally a team is tanking or trying to make the playoffs and the Jazz are/were kind of caught between both.

All for Tinsley returning, Watson can leave. Williams would be a good guy to keep around for a few years if they can find a young PG who needs time to develop. Also could play SG/6th man role if they managed to get Blesdoe or someone like that. You would think they could sign him to a decently priced 3 year deal.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Need to use Mo off the ball more rather he is starting or coming off the bench.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/2/DeMarre-Carroll.html

That hard-nosed effort paid off multiple times for him throughout the year and earned coach Tyrone Corbin's respect.

It did? Why did he keep getting benched?

Carroll, a free agent, is not likely to return next year. Still looking for an opportunity to make a major name for himself, Carroll will not command a high payroll next year. During the 2012-13 season, Carroll made $885,120, and though he increased his value with his energy play, he'll be a role player no matter where he goes next year.

Why won't he be back? He's worth a contract like Evans got that's for sure. 2-3 million a year I'd think. 4 on the high side maybe.

On summer plans: "Actually to get better. My whole mindset is I'm going to try to get film on guys like Bruce Bowen and come back even better and be a corner knockdown 3-point shooter. I'm just going to be overall better. I'm more hungry (now) and I think my game has improved and I can only get better."

Quotable: "For me, it was a great season. I've been blessed. This is my best season I've had since I've been in the NBA and I think I showed, proven myself, that I'm a great rotational player."

I like him better than Bowen. I wouldn't call him a great rotational player. Ideally he's an end of the bench energy guy but he should have been playing ahead of Marvin this year certainly! I hope he's back at the right price. I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in him around the league though.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:03 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/1/Alec-Burks.html

A versatile combo guard, Burks' strong suit is creating plays by driving to the basket or taking quick catch-and-shoot threes from the perimeter. He is at his best when he is paired in the backcourt with a pure point guard that can set him up on a number of different plays.

Don't think catch and shoot 3's are his strong suit and I think he was at his best when he got to play the 1.

Quotable: "I got to play multiple positions. I got better throughout the year. I feel like my in between game should get a lot better."

I think the sky is the limit with him. Last year he just put his head down and drove to the rim. I wondered if he could play within the offense and he showed a lot this year. Really looking forward to seeing him get big minutes(hopefully) next year at 3 positions.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/3/Jeremy-Evans.html

Evans is under contract for two more years, and with the likely departure of at least one big man ahead of him in the rotation, it's reasonable to say he could get more minutes in an increased role next season.

I like him and think he might be able to be a rotational player in the league if given the chance especially after seeing him hit some jumpers late in the year but I don't want to see him in rotation with two other young guys. Need a seasoned vet in the mix. A great energy guy at the end of the bench anyway.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:13 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/7/Al-Jefferson.html

He has established himself as a premier big man in the NBA, and as such, will command a premier salary.

This season, Jefferson made $15 million. Whether the Jazz will choose to retain him for at least that much money over the next few seasons is another matter entirely, and is completely unknown.

It's a no brainer to me at any price. They better not bring him back. Sorry Al!

[QUOTE]Quotable: "It could be a totally different Utah Jazz team next year or it could be the same team next year. But one thing I do know about the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:16 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/10/Paul-Millsap.html

This is the second time Millsap has faced a real possibility of leaving Utah, though his departure this time around is much more likely.

Not sure I'd call it more likely. They had to take out a bank loan to keep him last time to match Portland's offer and pay him up front.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:21 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/13/Earl-Watson.html

Watson's return to Utah is unlikely at best.

I think he or Tinsley could be back. Tinsley should get more interest around the league and leave the Jazz with Watson.

On summer plans: Continuing to rehab from his injury, getting healthy and taking his daughter to Disneyland.

Didn't know he was still hurt!

Quotable: "A year or two from now this team will not be together, obviously, and you're going to see players go to other teams and have amazing runs in the postseason and you're going to sit back and think how good this team could have been. We could never really capture our full potential."

I think they exceeded their potential. Mediocre talent fighting for the playoffs.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:27 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1455/15/Mo-Williams.html

Indeed, the last remaining piece Utah needs to seriously contend is a premier point guard, which is a luxury the Jazz have missed ever since Deron Williams' departure.

Contend for what? They need star power and a go to guy. They need defense. Their young guys have a lot of potential but still plenty of question marks some of which should start getting answered next year.

by his own admission, Williams was never 100 percent down the stretch for the Jazz.

If Utah wants the former NBA All-Star back on its roster, it won't likely have to pay $8.5 million, but Williams will still be a commodity under significant demand. The alternative is to find a point guard besides Williams on the free-agent market, to trade for a point guard or to draft a point guard.

Of those three options, the most likely is to find a point guard on the market should Williams not return.

They need a vet. Possibly Mo. They also need a young guy.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2013, 08:35 AM
http://rockmonster.blogs.deseretnews.com/2013/04/19/lindsey-takes-jazz-blame/

[QUOTE] General manager Dennis Lindsey said on Thursday that

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2013, 06:14 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56190347-87/jazz-hayward-favors-gordon.html.csp

Some more insight into what next season might look like.

[QUOTE]Indiana

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2013, 06:27 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56189385-87/hayward-gordon-jazz-role.html.csp

Some more from G.

[QUOTE] I

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2013, 06:38 AM
For the fifth-straight year, the Jazz organization will send a squad of youngsters and NBA hopefuls to the Orlando Pro Summer League, General Manager Dennis Lindsey confirmed.

Dates haven't been announced, but that summer event will take place in early July at the Amway Center's practice court.

Jazz rookie Kevin Murphy and late-season pickup Jerel McNeal are among the likely invitees, and it wouldn't be surprising if Enes Kanter made an appearance while rehabbing from his left shoulder injury.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hayward and Favors at least in camp. They could still use it. Evans should play.

Last summer, DeMarre Carroll, Alec Burks, Jeremy Evans, Kanter, Blake Ahearn, John Millsap, and Michael Stockton were on Utah's roster.

Would like to Stockton back. He was impressive. Maybe Elijiah Millsap this time around.

[QUOTE]Burks was named to the All-Summer League team, thanks to an average of 17.2 points. Kanter averaged 8.8 rebounds for the 3-2 Jazz squad.

If the Jazz keep their three draft picks (14th, 21st and 46th), those players would also likely participate.

The NBA puts on a summer league in Las Vegas, which ultimately led to the Rocky Mountain Revue's demise after its run from 1984-2008. Since 2009, the Jazz have preferred to attend the more intimate Orlando event, which isn't open to the public but televises all of the games.

Along with the Jazz, the Heat, Rockets, Nets, Celtics, Pistons, Pacers, Thunder, 76ers and Magic are expected to participate in Orlando's 2013 summer league, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The Orlando Pro Summer League is also reportedly considering a tournament structure with pool play and a championship game instead of just having teams play five times in consecutive days.

2013-14 PRESEASON: The Jazz previously announced that they'll play Portland in Boise on Oct. 11 in an exhibition game. Turns out, Utah will also face the Lakers twice in the exhibition season

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2013, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE]Arash Markazi: CP3 on Bledsoe: "There

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2013, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE]If Jennings

El Kabong
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Looks like CP3 plans on being back in LA. No surprise. He is right though. They won't be able to afford to keep Bledsoe or keep him happy coming off the bench even if they did pay him He will become available as soon as Paul signs.
Blesdoe isn't a free agent to next year right? Would have to trade for him? Maybe the Jazz can tempt the Clippers with one of their draft picks. Gets the Jazz a quality starting PG, Clippers get another rookie scale deal and hopefully someone who can contribute, especially since they'll be capped out when Paul signs and have guys like Barnes, Billups, Odom and Turiaf as free agents.

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2013, 01:19 PM
He'll be in the last year of his rookie deal. Same as G and Favors. Could get real expensive in a hurry if they have to dole out big money to all of them at the same time. Jazz could also take on contracts like Butler or Willie Green with their cap space.

El Kabong
04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
He'll be in the last year of his rookie deal. Same as G and Favors. Could get real expensive in a hurry if they have to dole out big money to all of them at the same time. Jazz could also take on contracts like Butler or Willie Green with their cap space.
Willie Green has a team option and it's only $1.3 million, so I doubt they'd be able to get anything better any cheaper and if they don't want him they can cut him. Butler would be the obvious choice at $8 million if they wanted to cut salaries, which is a realistic proposition with their owner. Clippers basically will have all their salary tied up in their version of the Big 3 with Griffin, Paul and Jordan with Crawford on a MLE deal and a bunch of minimum deals to fill out the rest of the roster. It'd leave them thin in the 3 spot, but i'm sure the Jazz could send back Evans or Carroll in return who don't make more than a few million?

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Willie Green has a team option and it's only $1.3 million, so I doubt they'd be able to get anything better any cheaper and if they don't want him they can cut him.

OK. The site I looked at had something by his years so I wasn't sure with him. Deandre is the other one but I wouldn't take him!

Butler would be the obvious choice at $8 million if they wanted to cut salaries, which is a realistic proposition with their owner. Clippers basically will have all their salary tied up in their version of the Big 3 with Griffin, Paul and Jordan with Crawford on a MLE deal and a bunch of minimum deals to fill out the rest of the roster. It'd leave them thin in the 3 spot, but i'm sure the Jazz could send back Evans or Carroll in return who don't make more than a few million?

I think Crawford has some option too?

Jazz might draft a young wing at the 21st slot that could look good to the Clipps as well as Evans. Murphy and McNeal would be nice for a team in a trade with non-guaranteed deals. Their first pick who should be a pg/combo guard could be expendable too if they got Bledsoe not to mention Burks, who I wouldn't want to see go

They also have their 2nd round pick and future picks to throw in as well as the TPE they'd get for the Jazz taking on salary and Tomic's rights. Carroll would have to be a sign and trade. Getting another team involved so they could unload Marvin would be sweet.

Butler is an expiring contract so I could certainly see the Jazz doing it. His money could go to paying the kids next summer. I think he'd be a good fit too. Start him with Burks or Hayward. He can handle the ball. Pass. Shoot. He's not the player he was before his injury in Dallas but a nice vet that should fit better than Marvin or Foye.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE]Jeff Teague

El Kabong
04-23-2013, 07:00 AM
I don't think Crawford has any ETO's on his contract and you'd think they'd need at least 1 player off the bench who can handle the ball if they trade Blesdoe and Billups retires.

Early 2nd round picks should be gold to a team way above the cap like the Clippers. You have a chance to grab a player who slips out of the 1st round, while getting him on a cheaper, non-guaranteed deal.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE]Jarrett Jack

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
I don't think Crawford has any ETO's on his contract and you'd think they'd need at least 1 player off the bench who can handle the ball if they trade Blesdoe and Billups retires.

Early 2nd round picks should be gold to a team way above the cap like the Clippers. You have a chance to grab a player who slips out of the 1st round, while getting him on a cheaper, non-guaranteed deal.

Clipps need some young guys on the wing and at the one if Bledsoe goes. Doesn't sound like Billups will retire if the Clipps want him back.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE]Chauncey Billups

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Derrick Favors: I hate not being able to play in the playoffs Twitter @dfavors14

Guess he's not into tanking like most fans seem to be these days.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE]All the rumors are getting to Shane Larkin. Various reports indicate the Miami sophomore is on the verge of declaring for the NBA draft. Not so, Larkin said Wednesday afternoon on Twitter. He even finalized the date and time for the decision. "Don

El Kabong
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
What will the asking price be for OJ Mayo this summer? ---> Steve Kyler: hefty, hearing Utah could go hard at him. Twitter @stevekylerNBA
Interesting, not sure why you'd be paying a "hefy" price for OJ Mayo though.

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
What will the asking price be for OJ Mayo this summer? ---> Steve Kyler: hefty, hearing Utah could go hard at him. Twitter @stevekylerNBA

I was thinking about him earlier but he had some issues with Carlisle at the end of the year. Looks like he might be best coming off the bench on a good team. Offensively he could really thrive in the Jazz offense though. He's got the right skill set. Certainly a huge upgrade on Foye but at what price? Could he guard ones with Hayward as the point forward? Maybe not the best ones.

El Kabong
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I was thinking about him earlier but he had some issues with Carlisle at the end of the year. Looks like he might be best coming off the bench on a good team. Offensively he could really thrive in the Jazz offense though. He's got the right skill set. Certainly a huge upgrade on Foye but at what price? Could he guard ones with Hayward as the point forward? Maybe not the best ones.
Yea, cost is my biggest issue with him. Don't think he's worth more than $8 million a year, so i'd hate to see them give him a huge contract.

Although the fact that they're looking at guys at that price would probably indicate that at least 1 of Jefferson and Millsap won't be back.

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Yea, cost is my biggest issue with him. Don't think he's worth more than $8 million a year, so i'd hate to see them give him a huge contract.

I'm guessing hefty is more like 10-12 mill.

Although the fact that they're looking at guys at that price would probably indicate that at least 1 of Jefferson and Millsap won't be back.

One of them has to go. There is absolutely no way they can bring both back based on minutes besides having the money to pay Favors and Hayward next year and Kanter and Burks in 2 years.

Mo and Foye's contracts could pay for Mayo though. Whatever they do I'd look to front load as much of it as possible or they could have issues in the next couple years paying the kids.

El Kabong
04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing hefty is more like 10-12 mill.

One of them has to go. There is absolutely no way they can bring both back based on minutes besides having the money to pay Favors and Hayward next year and Kanter and Burks in 2 years.

Mo and Foye's contracts could pay for Mayo though. Whatever they do I'd look to front load as much of it as possible or they could have issues in the next couple years paying the kids.
Yea, I figured the hefty would be like $12 million. Too much for my tastes. Definately a good idea to frontload if possible though.

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Shane Larkin To Enter NBA Draft

Apr 26, 2013 3:40 PM EDT

Shane Larkin plans to enter the NBA draft and skip his final two seasons at Miami.

Larkin is considered the third-best point guard in the draft class behind Michigan's Trey Burke and Syracuse's Michael Carter-Williams.

Larkin led the Hurricanes to the ACC regular season title and the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2013, 03:52 AM
Aran Smith: Word on the street is Marcus Smart is having second thoughts about pulling his name out of draft. Don't be shocked if he changes his mind.

Twitter @nbadraftnet

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Utah and Cleveland are interested in Scotty Hopson, currently playing for Israeli team Hapoel Eilat. Hopson could play the Summer League with one of these teams.

Doesn't really sound like their type of player. Got some talent.

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Amaechi: Magic Teammates Knew Sexuality, Protected Me

May 01, 2013 | Mike Bianchi/Orlando Sentinel

John Amaechi said playing for the conservative owner of the Magic played a part in his decision not to come out while playing in the NBA.

Conservative Mormon owner in Utah too!

El Kabong
05-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Conservative Mormon owner in Utah too!
Understandable decision, especially living in a city where that could cause issues.

[QUOTE]Kevin O

Xiao Yao You
05-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Change should be good. He actually sent Murphy down to the D-League for a spell. Signed a couple guys to 10 day contracts. Spurs philosophy right there.

Xiao Yao You
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
The Philadelphia 76ers have received permission to interview Golden State Warriors assistant Mike Malone and Utah Jazz assistant Jeff Hornacek for the franchise's head-coaching vacancy, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

Xiao Yao You
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE]Jack, who drew interest from multiple teams during the trade deadline, is in the last year of his contract paying him $5 million this season. He is expected to be a fairly well sought after this offseason, especially with the postseason he

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Talking to an NBA front office guy today and he said he thought the market for Millsap might be somewhere around 3 year 21 million deal. The Jazz offered 3 year 24 million dollar deal in the off-season to Millsap that Paul turned down. In this person's mind that is where the rub sits for the Jazz. Would Millsap accept a deal with the Jazz lower than what they offered him in the off-season. This person said no way. He thought Millsap would be willing to take 3-21 from another team but not take it from the Jazz since he was once offered more.

Sulia

I hope they give him the extra money if they have to. That would be a great deal for him especially front loaded.

El Kabong
05-04-2013, 07:20 AM
I hope they give him the extra money if they have to. That would be a great deal for him especially front loaded.
Yea, no point losing a guy over a million a year and it's a fair figure for the guy.

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2013, 03:43 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56259550-87/assistant-hornacek-jazz-charlotte.html.csp

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE]Hawks interested in Korver: Kyle Korver said Saturday that the Hawks have expressed interest in re-signing him. Korver, obtained in an offseason trade with the Bulls, will become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Steve Luhm: More Lindsey on FAs: "... If we decide to save our money it won't be because we're financially strapped. It will be a strategic decision." Twitter @sluhm

You definitely don't won't to throw money away just because you have it. They have to think of the money they will owe the kids the next couple years too. Have to look at front loading contracts or 1 and 2 year deals probably.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2013, 03:33 AM
Fernandez, Diamantidis, Krstic, Tomic, Spanoulis Named To All-Euroleague First Team

May 06, 2013 | RealGM Staff Report

Rudy Fernandez, Dimiris Diamantidis, Nenad Krstic, Ante Tomic and Vassilis Spanoulis headline the 2013 All-Euroleague First Team.

El Kabong
05-07-2013, 06:14 AM
You definitely don't won't to throw money away just because you have it. They have to think of the money they will owe the kids the next couple years too. Have to look at front loading contracts or 1 and 2 year deals probably.
Yea, last thing you want to do is do a "Dumars" and throw money at guys like Ben Gordon and Charlie V because they were all that was left and the money was burning a hole in his pocket.

Also, being under the cap going into next year would open the door to them doing what they did in 2004, taking a big contract off of a luxury tax team (which kicks in even harder next year) and get picks/younger players in the return. They took Tom Gugliotta from Phoenix and got pick 16 (Kirk Snyder) and the pick that was originally owned by New York that became Gordon Hayward at #9 in 2010. Also took Glen Rice from Houston and got pick #21 which they traded to Dallas for a future 1st, which got them the pick #27 in the 2005 NBA draft which they traded to Portland with their #6 pick to get Deron Williams at pick #3.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2013, 08:50 AM
They had a lot less to build around in 2004 and no lottery pick. They only had AK to worry about signing and they didn't think he was going to have an all-star year and force them into a max deal.

They have to keep flexibility to sign Hayward and Favors which could happen this off-season and Burks and Kanter after that which complicates the situation more.

If Marvin is with them all next year(god forbid) his money comes close to taking care of one of them I'd think. I hope they can put together a better roster than 2004 anyway!

I think there were 3 firsts for Deron.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2013, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE]The 76ers aren

El Kabong
05-07-2013, 11:51 PM
They had a lot less to build around in 2004 and no lottery pick. They only had AK to worry about signing and they didn't think he was going to have an all-star year and force them into a max deal.

They have to keep flexibility to sign Hayward and Favors which could happen this off-season and Burks and Kanter after that which complicates the situation more.

If Marvin is with them all next year(god forbid) his money comes close to taking care of one of them I'd think. I hope they can put together a better roster than 2004 anyway!

I think there were 3 firsts for Deron.
Googs and Rice were only 1 year deals, so taking back the same sort of contract won't affect any extensions, which won't kick in until the 14/15 season. If you've got the money not doing anything, why not try and take an expiring deal like Metta World Peace or Turkoglu and see if you score some extra assets for your trouble?

And you're right, it was 3 picks, the 3rd was the 30th pick in 2006 which they got from Detroit for the Carlos Arroyo/Elden Campbell trade.

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Googs and Rice were only 1 year deals, so taking back the same sort of contract won't affect any extensions, which won't kick in until the 14/15 season. If you've got the money not doing anything, why not try and take an expiring deal like Metta World Peace or Turkoglu and see if you score some extra assets for your trouble?

And you're right, it was 3 picks, the 3rd was the 30th pick in 2006 which they got from Detroit for the Carlos Arroyo/Elden Campbell trade.

No thanks on Metta unless they buy him out which they aren't likely to do. Metta in the Triangle, the Princeton and the Flex with his IQ! Rice they did at the time but O'Conner said they don't do that in regards to Bell. Hedo I could see on the Jazz but than you risk him taking minutes from Hayward and Burks. Googs was at the end of his career so he was a good vet to have around for a few minutes.

To me that's not plan A though. Plan A is to go after the best guys out there that fit with the young guys but aren't going to stunt their growth anymore than has already been done and aren't going to screw up their flexibility the next 3 years. In the end if you still have money to take on contracts than you do like Cleveland did with Memphis. They got some good young players that might be part of their team going forward for free basically.

El Kabong
05-08-2013, 10:03 PM
No thanks on Metta unless they buy him out which they aren't likely to do. Metta in the Triangle, the Princeton and the Flex with his IQ! Rice they did at the time but O'Conner said they don't do that in regards to Bell. Hedo I could see on the Jazz but than you risk him taking minutes from Hayward and Burks. Googs was at the end of his career so he was a good vet to have around for a few minutes.

To me that's not plan A though. Plan A is to go after the best guys out there that fit with the young guys but aren't going to stunt their growth anymore than has already been done and aren't going to screw up their flexibility the next 3 years. In the end if you still have money to take on contracts than you do like Cleveland did with Memphis. They got some good young players that might be part of their team going forward for free basically.
Oh no, not plan A for me either, more of a completely strike out in FA type scenario. Absolutely agree the best (and only sensible) thing to do is to go out there and find the guys you think fit into the core you already have.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Which is what happened in '04. It was really the first time they'd been in that situation after 20 years of playoffs and they wasted their time going after restricted FA's like Terry and Willie Green(others? I can't remember.). They learned from that and while going after restricted FA's again they targeted two they knew their teams couldn't match the offers with Okur and Boozer. Than they blew it with AK's max deal unfortunately which hurt them for years to come.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2013, 01:18 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765629016/Utah-Jazz-Franchises-future-rests-squarely-on-the-shoulders-of-its-young-Core-Four.html?pg=3

From Mo:

"With those young guys, they're going to need some veteran guys around them," Williams said. "They're going to grow next year.

Definitely. You see how much the vets have helped the kids especially Al with Enes and one look at the Wizards this year with some vets around compared to last year without them.

Earl: [QUOTE]"The young core is going to be amazing for the future," Watson said. "Enes Kanter is going to be a great player, the bigs with Fav, and Gordon and Alec

El Kabong
05-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Which is what happened in '04. It was really the first time they'd been in that situation after 20 years of playoffs and they wasted their time going after restricted FA's like Terry and Willie Green(others? I can't remember.). They learned from that and while going after restricted FA's again they targeted two they knew their teams couldn't match the offers with Okur and Boozer. Than they blew it with AK's max deal unfortunately which hurt them for years to come.
I remember they signed Jason Terry and Corey Maggette to deals, but that was a case of them only signing because the teams they were on said "Go out and get a deal and we'll match". They were smart (also risky) with Okur because Detroit couldn't afford both Sheed and Okur so they gave him a big deal. Boozer was lucky I guess, but at the time I remember they were thinking of offering a max deal to Kenyon Martin also.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Maggette that's right. I thought there was someone else. Willie Green too I believe.

They talked to Martin. Not sure how serious they were about him. Boozer made more sense for the Jazz though he hadn't proven himself as much at that point in time.

El Kabong
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Maggette that's right. I thought there was someone else. Willie Green too I believe.

They talked to Martin. Not sure how serious they were about him. Boozer made more sense for the Jazz though he hadn't proven himself as much at that point in time.
Yea, I think you're right. I vaguely remember it being a 4 year/$16 million deal or something along those lines.

I think they had scheduled talks with Martin, but didn't even have a chance to talk with him before they snapped Boozer up. Overall it was the better signing and since Martin scored a AK $84 million max deal and like AK, didn't really deliver on it, Boozer's $68 million deal was better value.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Jody Genessy: NBA front-office types voted Denver's Masai Ujiri executive of the year. Jazz's Kevin O'Connor got two second-place votes, finished 13th. Twitter

2nd place votes for what?

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2013, 07:49 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56293326-87/foot-guard-state-center.html.csp

Here we go!

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Caught a bit of Tomic tonight in the Euro semis. Looked like he'd put on some weight. Maybe he's ready?

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Steve Luhm: Arrived a little early for Jazz pre-draft workout today. Bumped into Jerry Sloan, who was on his way out. Must have been asked to watch ... Twitter @sluhm

Jeff Hornacek will be a head coach in the NBA, probably

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Wolters averaged 22.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 38.1 minutes per game last season at South Dakota State.

He has spent the past month at the IMG Academy in Florida, where he has prepared for pre-draft workouts with trainers and coaches, including ex-Jazz assistant Kenny Natt.

Should be well prepared for what the Jazz throw at him.

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2013, 08:46 AM
With zero point guards under contract for the 2013-14 season and beyond, it's no wonder the Utah Jazz's first pre-draft workout included several intriguing playmaker possibilities. Not surprisingly, the guys brought in for this spring's first tryout session knew a few things about the Jazz: 1) Utah has a "Help Wanted" sign up for its guard positions; and 2) this organization has a rich point guard history. Deseret News

"Utah does need a point guard. Everyone's aware of that," Texas guard Myck Kabongo said. "I'm just privileged to be here. I was excited to come out here to Utah." Deseret News

Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's executive vice president of basketball operations, did walk over to Jamelle Hagins and told the 6-foot-9 athlete within earshot of media, "It's a tough workout. You did a great job." Deseret News

Nate Wolters believes he'd be a "a good fit" with the Jazz, and said he's pretty good at reading defenses, running pick-and-rolls and loves to "just get teammates involved and make plays for others." Deseret News

El Kabong
05-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Caught a bit of Tomic tonight in the Euro semis. Looked like he'd put on some weight. Maybe he's ready?
I reckon he's signed with Barcelona until 2015. Dunno if he has any early buyouts or not on that though.

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Found this.

He has a 5 million Euro buyout agreement, roughly $7,056,200 US.

Not sure if this changes from year to year or not? So now could be the time to do it if they think he's worth it. They have the money now to pay him enough to make it worth his while. If they could get him in the Summer league camp going head to head with Enes and Favors to see exactly what they have it would be nice.

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2013, 11:44 AM
That buyout might be from his last contract?

Says he's up to 260!

Found this too:

2013年3月6日

El Kabong
05-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Found this.

Not sure if this changes from year to year or not? So now could be the time to do it if they think he's worth it. They have the money now to pay him enough to make it worth his while. If they could get him in the Summer league camp going head to head with Enes and Favors to see exactly what they have it would be nice.
Next year, team buyout amount is only $600K. Gotta find another $6+ million elsewhere, although the Jazz could take that on their cap if they wanted.

He'd probably make a pretty good 3 man big rotation with Favours and Kanter.

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Now looks like it might be the time if they think he is worth what they will have to pay. They might not have the money next year and beyond with Hayward and Favors due to get paid. He's at the top of Euroleague basketball. Someone might want to pay him if they don't anyway.

El Kabong
05-13-2013, 11:12 PM
See a few mock drafts have the Jazz taking Kelly Olynyk at #14. Listed for Philly at #11 on a few too, but Cody Zeller is around that range too. Seen Michael Carter-Williams listed anywhere from #6 to Sac to #14 to the Jazz. Mavericks might also be interested in him too and the pick #13.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Only players other than a pg or combo guard should be guys they can stash in Europe or in the D-League.

El Kabong
05-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Only players other than a pg or combo guard should be guys they can stash in Europe or in the D-League.
I suppose the only good thing about it being a weak draft is there might be more chance for them to move up.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
It should definitely be easier to move up.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Alex Len arrived in Chicago on Wednesday night night and promptly met with four teams

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2013, 03:46 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56321180-87/jazz-draft-monson-player.html.csp

[QUOTE]There

El Kabong
05-17-2013, 06:08 AM
I never read too much into the "We'll take the best guy available" stuff.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't take much of what O'Conner says seriously. Jury still out on the new guy. He hasn't had much to say. Showed some small signs of change. This will be the summer for him to put his imprint on the franchise though.

El Kabong
05-18-2013, 02:11 AM
I don't take much of what O'Conner says seriously. Jury still out on the new guy. He hasn't had much to say. Showed some small signs of change. This will be the summer for him to put his imprint on the franchise though.
You would think that if he's the guy to take over from O'Connor then they'd be telling him that this is his draft and where they go forward from here is up to him, while still getting some input from O'Connor.

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2013, 09:47 AM
O'Conner is still in charge. He just doesn't have to to make the phone calls anymore.

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2013/5/17/4341544/does-dennis-schroeder-prefer-utah

Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com broke the news earlier today that Dennis Schroeder preferred to play in Utah or Milwaukee. He writes:

Dennis Schroeder ... has singled out Utah and Milwaukee as preferred destinations on draft night. Which is particularly relevant since the interest may be mutual and both will be picking in the right range, with the Jazz probably at 14, barring a long-shot climb into the top three on lottery night, and the Bucks at 15.

As Schroeder himself pointed out to me, the Jazz have the position need as Mo Williams heads into free agency. (Good chance they'd have the need even if Williams wasn't.) When we talked and I asked what he considered the best option for the start of his NBA career, Utah was the first place he mentioned.

via Scott Howard-Cooper's Sulia

This guys had some issues so I wouldn't expect the Jazz to go after him but I guess after Howard and Tinsley anything is possible.

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Gery Woelfel: German point guard Dennis Schroeder will work out for Bucks. Ditto for Houston and Utah. Twitter @GeryWoelfel

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Alen Len is confident about what he will be able to accomplish at the NBA level.

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Source: Warriors Believe Purchasing Draft Pick An Option

May 17, 2013 | Tim Kawakami/San Jose Mercury News

The Warriors believe they can purchase a first or second round pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.

Sell them back their pick? Not sure you want to help the competition though.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2013, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE]Sloan Could Rejoin Jazz As Consultant

May 18, 2013 7:43 PM EDT

Jerry Sloan could return to the Utah Jazz as a consultant, two years after he resigned as coach.

"If there

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Also from that article:

[QUOTE]Speaking of Schroeder, he was the only player to have rumors of a promise being made to him. He had a hard time disguising his smile when probed about it, but refused to confirm. Schroeder is coming off of a brilliant performance at the 2013 Nike Hoops Summit. He stood out at the event that featured almost a dozen players who are projected to be future lottery picks. The Utah Jazz are slated to pick 14th and seem like the most logical team to promise Schroeder considering their need at point guard. However, don

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Bill Oram: GM Dennis Lindsey said Jazz are open about what they'll do in first round. "Open is a good thing," he said. Could pick, move up, move down. Twitter @tribjazz

Bill Oram: Lindsey said No. 21 can be a good player and he isn't sure there is enough separation from 14 caliber guy to higher picks to use 21. Twitter @tribjazz

Bill Oram: But, Lindsey said, "I think we can move up. I think we've already had a few loose conversations around that so there's some potential there" Twitter @tribjazz

Good to hear! Might not need to move up if they are lucky tomorrow.

El Kabong
05-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Sounds like they'll have options. #21 could be attractive to a few teams if there's any sliders in the draft as well.

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey said the lottery's results "certainly gives us clarity." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Lindsey brought up this interesting fact: "We were evaluating players older than Gordon." Hayward turned 23 years old in March. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2013, 11:00 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/56350210-62/kanter-jazz-ergul-agent.html.csp

Enes Kanter's recovery from April shoulder surgery is ahead of schedule, his agent said Wednesday, but the Utah Jazz center may not be cleared to play until August.

That means Kanter will not participate in the Orlando Summer League July 7 through 12, although Kanter's agent, Max Ergul, said it was unlikely the Turkish big man would have played that week even if healthy.

Why wouldn't he have played?

[QUOTE]The second-year center underwent surgery on April 10 to repair a tear resulting from a dislocated left shoulder suffered against Phoenix two weeks earlier. Kanter, who turned 21 on Monday, is in his native Turkey this week visiting family, Ergul said.

The Jazz have not released a timeline on Kanter's recovery, but have monitored Kanter closely as he rehabs in Chicago. Ergul said head trainer Gary Briggs has made three trips to Chicago, and that Kanter met with team doctors and GM Dennis Lindsey last week when the contingent was in the Windy City for the NBA's predraft combine.

Ergul described the Jazz as "very happy and very satisfied with the medical staff."

In his second season after being drafted third overall by the Jazz in 2011, Kanter averaged 7.2 points and 4.3 rebounds in 70 games. He recorded career highs of 23 points and 22 rebounds March 1 in a start against Charlotte.
The Jazz will participate in the Orlando Pro Summer League from July 7 through 13.

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Utah Jazz center Al Jefferson received 20 points in the voting formula. Jefferson received the ninth most points among players not selected to an All-NBA team, which are voted on by media members covering each.

Despite finishing eighth among centers, behind Tim Duncan, Marc Gasol, Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Joakim Noah, Chris Bosh and Al Horford, one media member gave Big Al a first-team vote.

That means Jefferson, who has never been an All-Star, had one more first-team vote than second-team selection Blake Griffin, third-teamers David Lee and Paul George, not to mention others including Noah and Stephen Curry.

Ron Boone strikes again?

Xiao Yao You
05-25-2013, 08:41 AM
On Thursday, Southerland's agent, Mark Bartelstein of Chicago-based Priority Sports, said James Southerland already had eight more visits with NBA teams scheduled. According to Bartelstein, Southerland will work out for the Minnesota Timberwolves, Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Washington Wizards and Utah Jazz over the next few weeks. "He's visiting a bunch of teams,'' Bartelstein said. "He's going to be very, very busy.'' The Post-Standard

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2013, 12:57 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865580695/Report-Jeff-Hornacek-now-the-frontrunner-for-Phoenix-Suns-head-coaching-job.html

[QUOTE]Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported Saturday night that Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek is the "front-runner" to become the next head coach of the Phoenix Suns.

"Hornacek met with new Suns general manager Ryan McDonough and president Lon Babby in the past week in Phoenix," Wojnarowski wrote. "No offer has yet been extended to Hornacek, but the Suns' search process could be completed within the next week, league sources said."

Hornacek, who later went on to play for the Jazz, was a fan favorite during his time in Phoenix (1986-92), and was the team's most emotional loss in a trade that brought eventual MVP and Hall of Famer Charles Barkely to the Suns.

Hornacek had been linked to another former team's coaching vacancy. The Philadelphia 76rs have also reportedly been interested in the former shooting guard, but the Suns have quickly moved into the forefront for his services after hiring McDonough away from the Boston Celtics.

McDonough didn't mince words when citing the qualifications he sought in a new head coach.

"The most important thing to find in our head coach is someone who is a leader," he said. "We need someone who commands the respect of the players, commands the respect of the entire organization. We also need someone who is a teacher, who can help our young players develop and get better and maximize their individual talent.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Jeff Hornacek agreed to terms with the Suns to become their new head coach and will sign the three-year contract by Monday morning. The Suns quickly acted after impressive interviews from Hornacek, the popular former Suns player who has been an assistant coach for Utah. He was interviewed in Charlotte for its head coaching job and Philadelphia also was interested in him. Cleveland was the first team to hire a coach this offseason when it brought back Mike Brown but the Suns were among six teams currently seeking a new coach with as many as three more expected to join that search.

Arizona Republic

It's official. Congrats Jeff. Tough situation with that owner though. Best medical staff anyway.

Big man coach finally to replace him? With Al out the door that could be even more important.

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Hornacek now has a coaching staff to fill out. One guy that you can't help but wonder about is Karl Malone. Hornacek's Jazz teammate, the Hall of Famer, is constantly pitching himself as a coaching candidate, telling The Tribune over the weekend that he would be "interested" in replacing Hornacek on the Jazz bench.

Here's a thought: What about Malone joining Hornacek in Phoenix?
Hornacek laughed, then said: "Karl always wants to coach. I'll call him and see, but I can't ever imagine Karl - after two weeks he'll want to go fishing. It would be great."

What about Stockton. Sounded like maybe his kids were grown and he might be interested a while back. Dantley? A defensive coach like Mussleman?

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Jody Genessy: Karl Malone just announced on Jazz radio that he will be helping to coach Utah's big men in a part- time capacity. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Jazz CEO Greg Miller to Karl Malone: "I think your involvement with our bigs is going to help us win more ball games." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

There it is! I thought he should have been around during camp at the very least. This is really important with Jefferson and possibly Millsap gone. Let's get Stockton/Malone back together again! :applause:

El Kabong
05-30-2013, 12:00 AM
There it is! I thought he should have been around during camp at the very least. This is really important with Jefferson and possibly Millsap gone. Let's get Stockton/Malone back together again! :applause:
Imagine how good Favors could be if he added Malones offensive game to his defensive abilities!

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2013, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE]Malone didn

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2013, 01:00 AM
The idea gained steam when Corbin came to Miller and asked to discuss the idea, Miller said.

In addition to teaching the big men body positioning and other technical tricks that he learned and honed in his long career, Malone can help the two youngsters develop the mindset needed to be stars, Miller said.

''He's always one that has been very tough mentally,'' Miller said. ''And when he talks about how he does that, it's pretty fascinating to hear his methods.''
Miller declined to speculate about Malone taking on a bigger role in the future, but didn't rule it out either.

''We don't want to rush into anything,'' said Miller, while adding, ''Anything that's out there that we think will helps us win more games, we're open to pursuing it. If things were to unfold with Karl where it was good for him and good for the organization, we would certainly put that in that category.''

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2013, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE]Jazz power forward Derrick Favors' desire to improve was one of the impetuses leading to Malone landing a role he's lobbied for in the past. Favors, who turns 22 in July, reached out to management in hopes of receiving personal tutoring from The Mailman this offseason.

"You can't find too many better people to work with your bigs," Favors' agent, Wallace Prather, said. "I think it's great for everybody involved

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Could keep Favors and Kanter around and possibly bring in other guys. No where else will they get to work with the 2nd leading scorer of all-time.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2013, 08:07 PM
The biggest question with Utah Jazz small forward Marvin Williams this offseason was whether or not he'd exercise the player option on his contract for the 2013-14 season. The focus now has turned to his health. Williams will undergo surgery Monday in Charlotte, N.C., to repair his right Achilles tendon and sore right heel, which caused him to miss some action this past season. According to the Jazz, the expected rehabilitation and recovery time for Williams is about six months. That would have the small forward back in action around the beginning of December, about a month into the regular season. Deseret News

So much for trading him before the season. At least he won't be getting minutes ahead of Burks, Hayward and hopefully Demarre(if he's back).

Xiao Yao You
06-01-2013, 06:03 AM
INSIDER – Marvin Williams to have surgery

Posted on May 31, 2013 by David Locke

Utah Jazz announced today that Marvin Williams will have surgery on his right heel and Achilles tendon on June 3rd and be out an estimated 6 months.

Here is the impact of Marvin’s surgery.
1) Marvin will certainly opt in for the final year of his contract putting 7.5 million dollars on the Jazz salary.

Don't think there was ever much doubt about it after the season he had!

2) Marvin’s on court role could have taken a significant change this season and still may. With the possible departure of Millsap and Jefferson Marvin could have become the Jazz 3rd big man. Marvin played the power forward a good deal in Atlanta and has the ability to stretch the floor. Marvin seemed more active whenever he played that role this last season.

Interesting. If he's fighting Jeremy Evans for the 4th big man minutes I might not have a problem with it. 3rd big man than they are definitely in tank mode and I can't say I'm ready to jump on that bandwagon as popular as it's become! He's not a good fit in their offense. He's a spot shooter. Foye too.

3) The Jazz lose a good long defender for at least a month of the season. The Jazz had played 17 games by Dec 1st last year. It is reasonable to think the Jazz could miss Marvin for nearly a quarter of their games this next season.

They also lose a guy who sucked big time! Hopefully his expiring contract will be traded and he will miss all their games.

4) This makes a tough call for the Jazz front office in two areas. In the front court when decided what do with Millsap and Jefferson or find replacements the Jazz will likely have to add two big men to the roster to be able to survive the first 20 games.

They need to be looking at a minimum 2 vets IMO. Millsap(Jefferson God forbid),Tomic(though technically he'd be a rookie) or someone else to start opposite Favors or Kanter. They need another to fight Evans for the 4th big man role which shouldn't be an everyday rotation role this year.

5) At the small forward position this makes DeMarre Carroll an important re-sign for the Jazz. If Williams was going to play the small forward in the upcoming season those minutes needed to be filled for the portion he is going to miss.

He was important anyway. They played better with him on the floor. He could probably play some 4. I could see G playing some 4 someday when he matures physically.

6) I am not sure it alters the Jazz draft day approach.

It shouldn't. They need a combo guard. Any other picks should be sf/big to develop overseas or in the D-League and insurance for G and Favors possible departures next summer.

7) Lastly, Marvin is only out until Dec 1st (estimation) he will be a part of the roster for the other 75 to 80% of the season so any move to cover for Marvin’s injury then could be a logjam move once he is healthy.

He caused a logjam this year and better players sat because of him. He has to go or ride the bench.

8) Ok 1 more, Marvin will miss all of training camp. If Coach Corbin is planning on instituting new system’s Marvin won’t be able to participate in those drills. However, Marvin is a smart player so he should be fine once he is healthy.

He wasn't fine this year!

Xiao Yao You
06-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Sounds like Bargnani might come with Toronto's 1st round pick. I'd want to wait and see what happens with Paul and what other options are available first but He'd be worth considering if they got rid of Marvin in the process. Only one more year on his contract. Better scorer than Okur. Not as strong on the boards and won't put a body on his guy but Okur was certainly not great at D or rebounding either. Maybe they can get Lowry in the deal too?

Dallas 1st is supposed to be cheap as well. Get it and package picks to move up possibly like Houston did last year.

Xiao Yao You
06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
.Jody Genessy: Former Utah Valley/Oklahoma/CEU forward Nick Thompson tweeted that he'll work out for Utah Jazz on Monday. No announcement yet from Jazz. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
06-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Here we go!

In preparation for the upcoming NBA draft, Indiana

Xiao Yao You
06-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Two NBA teams have inquired about ex-Wolves assistant Eric Musselman as an assistant, but after Arizona State gave him a new title and nice pay raise, he said no thanks.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

Jazz? He'd be a good one.

El Kabong
06-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Sounds like Bargnani might come with Toronto's 1st round pick. I'd want to wait and see what happens with Paul and what other options are available first but He'd be worth considering if they got rid of Marvin in the process. Only one more year on his contract. Better scorer than Okur. Not as strong on the boards and won't put a body on his guy but Okur was certainly not great at D or rebounding either. Maybe they can get Lowry in the deal too?

Dallas 1st is supposed to be cheap as well. Get it and package picks to move up possibly like Houston did last year.
That's an interesting proposition. Hard to tell what their new GM will think of Bargs, but it seemed like they were desperate to get rid of him and his contract. 3 man rotation of Bargs, Favors and Kanter would be pretty good on paper, would create plenty of match up problems as you've got the potential to have offensive players from the post to the 3 point line in your forward lineup. I guess again, it comes down to the same problem they had with Jefferson. Can you cover and are your other players good enough to make up for his defensive deficiencies?

Mavs pick, I reckon they'd try and package it with Marion to try and create more max FA money.

Xiao Yao You
06-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Wouldn't mind Marion. Another year on his deal? They should have traded AK for him back in the day when they had a chance.

El Kabong
06-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't mind Marion. Another year on his deal? They should have traded AK for him back in the day when they had a chance.
Yep, 1 more year at $9.3 million. S&T for Millsap or Jefferson? Mavs get Millsap/Jefferson on a 4 year $38/$45 million contract, Jazz get #13 + Shawn Marion.

Xiao Yao You
06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Steve Luhm: Jazz player personnel guru Walt Perrin liked Zeller's athleticsim during his pre-draft workout. Twitter @sluhm

Of course. Surprised he even worked out for them. Unless they trade up they won't be getting him.

Xiao Yao You
06-05-2013, 06:34 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865580012/A-closer-look-at-Utah-Jazzs-first-pre-draft-workout-participants.html

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2013, 10:27 AM
The Charlotte Bobcats are looking to make a splash this summer and are open to trading their first-round pick in a package for an All-Star-caliber player. There are rumors the Heat will be looking to deal Chris Bosh, and the Bobcats, who are under the salary cap and could accept Bosh's near-maximum deal, could be a prime candidate.

Boston Globe

Bosh would make lots of sense for the Jazz. Mo, Millsap, Foye and Marvin(if he wasn't hurt) could all fit in Miami. Possibly Chalmers or Cole in the deal for the Jazz too.

Xiao Yao You
06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Bill Oram: The Jazz will host a three-day free agent minicamp starting today. 24 players, including Travis Leslie (former 10-day signee), will attend.

Twitter @tribjazz

Bill Oram: 24 guys attending Jazz mini-camp. Brace yourselves: Dee Bost, Will Buford, Xavier Gibson, Drew Gordon, JaMychal Green, Rodney Green, Jorge Gutierrez, Marquez Haynes, Lazar Hayward, Cedric Jackson, Edwin Jackson, Rick Jackson, D.J. Kennedy, Travis Leslie, Rasid Mahalbasic, Toure Murry, Harouna Mutombo, Arinze Onuaku, Josh Owens, Chris Roberts, Henry Sims, Jermaine Taylor, Chris Wright and Luke Zeller.

Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 01:11 AM
The Utah Jazz are throwing a wrinkle into their offseason player evaluation process.

The Jazz will work out 24 free agents — mostly from the D-League and international leagues — during a three-day minicamp that began Tuesday with physicals and will run through Thursday at Zions Bank Basketball Center.

Though there aren't any big names on the list of free agents, this is an unprecedented move for the Jazz, who have more than half of their 13-15-man roster to fill this offseason.

The Jazz will also hold another pre-draft workout between two free-agent sessions. Wednesday's tryout will feature likely lottery-bound Lehigh guard C.J. McCollum, a 6-3, 200-pounder considered one of the top two playmakers in this draft along with Trey Burke.

Weber State guard Scott Bamforth (6-2, 190) will also work out for the Jazz with McCollum in this two-man evaluation.

The most recognizable names of participating free agents are former Jazz player Travis Leslie, who played briefly with Utah on a 10-day contract last spring; ex-Phoenix big man Luke Zeller, whose brother, Cody Zeller, recently worked out for the organization; and forward Lazar Hayward, who has been on NBA rosters with Oklahoma City and Minnesota.

The Spurs have held a similar free-agent minicamp when Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey was employed by San Antonio. The Heat, Lakers, Hawks and 76eres have also brought in unheralded free agents hoping to catch an organization's eye.

The minicamp and pre-draft workout are closed to the public.

Here is the current roster for the Jazz's free agent minicamp:

Dee Bost, 6-2, 176 (Recent team: Buducnost, College: Mississippi St. 2012)

Will Buford, 6-6, 220 (Bluesens Monbus, Ohio State '12)

Xavier Gibson, 6-11, 229 (Panelefsinlakos, Florida State '12)

Drew Gordon, 6-9, 235 (Sanco di Sardania, New Mexico '12)

JaMychal Green, 6-8, 220 (Austin Toros, Alabama '12)

Rodney Green, 6-5, 205 (Novipiu Casale, LaSalle '10)

Jorge Gutierrez, 6-3, 194 (Canton Charge, California '12)

Marquez Haynes, 6-3, 185 (Art Dragons-GER, Texas Arlington '10)

Lazar Hayward, 6-6, 225 (Los Angeles Defenders, Marquette '10)

Cedric Jackson, 6-3, 209 (Breakers-AUS, Cleveland State '09)

Edwin Jackson, 6-3, 201 (ASVEL)

Rick Jackson, 6-9, 235 (Austin Toros, Syracuse '12)

D.J. Kennedy, 6-6, 215 (Rio Grande Valley Vipers, St. John’s '11)

Travis Leslie, 6-4, 205 (Santa Cruz Warriors, Georgia '11)

Rasid Mahalbasic, 6-10, 220 (Asseco Prokom)

Toure Murry, 6-5, 200 (Rio Grande Valley Vipers, Wichita State '12)

Harouna Mutombo, 6-5, 200 (Peja-Kosovo, West Carolina '12)

Arinze Onuaku, 6-9, 255 (Canton Charge, Syracuse '10)

Josh Owens, 6-8, 245 (Idaho Stampede, Stanford '12)

Chris Roberts, 6-4, 205 (Austin Toros, Bradley '10)

Henry Sims, 6-10, 244 (Petron Blaze, Georgetown '12)

Jermaine Taylor, 6-4, 209 (Maine Red Claws, Central Florida '09)

Chris Wright, 6-8, 220 (Maine Red Claws, Dayton '11)

Luke Zeller, 6-11, 244 (Phoenix Suns, Notre Dame '09)

Good idea. There's some fringe NBA guys there. Help fill out the Summer League roster and maybe find some guys for fall and eventually the end of the roster possibly. Should have McNeal and Murphy competing with them too.

Interesting that they are getting McCollum in for a look. Along with Zeller they are all projected ahead of where the Jazz pick. Very unusual. The fact that the Jazz obviously have a big opening for a small guard and also an extra pick to move up I'm sure plays into that with CJ at least. Their agents might be the same or have a good relationship with the Jazz too? Looking more and more likely that the Jazz could move up.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 01:15 AM
The Jazz will be working out four full-time PGs, 10 wing players, and 10 bigmen. Of this group, only seven have NBA experience (Travis Leslie, Jermaine Taylor, Lazar Hayward, D.J. Kennedy, Chris Wright, Henry Sims, and Luke Zeller). And of those guys, only three of them were even drafted. So -- these guys aren't guys you are going to build your franchise around. Still, they have their value. First of all, none of them are YOUNGER than our Cowabunga Four. So that's good. Many of them played over-seas and they will be, at the very least, training camp fodder.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Bill Oram: Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan is at Jazz practice facility for free agent mini-camp.

Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 11:26 PM
It's possible Jeff Hornacek's replacement is helping the Utah Jazz at Zions Bank Basketball Center this week. Kenny Gattison, a former NBA player and coach, was invited to assist the Jazz with an ongoing free agent mini-camp, raising questions about his potential for ending up with the organization. Utah has had a vacant assistant coach position since Hornacek was hired as the Suns head coach two weeks ago, making Gattison's involvement with the Jazz all the more interesting.

Deseret News

It still remains possible that Brad Jones could be promoted from his position as Jazz's director of player development to full-time assistant coach. That scenario played out last summer when Michael Sanders received a promotion from that position after then-assistant coach Scott Layden was hired as the Spurs' assistant general manager. That scenario played out last summer when Michael Sanders received a promotion from that position after then-assistant coach Scott Layden was hired as the Spurs' assistant general manager.

Deseret News

It also wouldn't be a shock if Jazz video coordinator Jefferson Sweeney received a promotion into one of the player development coaching positions. Sweeney has worked in the background with the organization for the past 13 years, becoming an integral part of the team's scouting squad after originally starting as an EnergySolutions Arena security guard.

Deseret News

I'm guessing he played with Ty or Lowe somewhere along the line?

Xiao Yao You
06-13-2013, 12:07 AM
In the build-up to draft day, Lehigh guard C.J. McCollum has frequently drawn comparisons to Rookie of the Year and former Weber State star Damian Lillard. On Wednesday, the Utah Jazz enlisted the help of someone who should know.

"They have similar games," said Lillard

Xiao Yao You
06-13-2013, 12:09 AM
It's possible Jeff Hornacek's replacement is helping the Utah Jazz at Zions Bank Basketball Center this week.

Kenny Gattison, a former NBA player and coach, was invited to assist the Jazz with an ongoing free agent mini-camp, raising questions about his potential for ending up with the organization.

Utah has had a vacant assistant coach position since Hornacek was hired as the Suns' head coach two weeks ago, making Gattison's involvement with the Jazz all the more interesting.

Adding to the intrigue of Gattison's invitation to Utah, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin was his teammate in Phoenix during the 1988-89 season. Also, Gattison, 49, grew up in Wilmington, N.C., which is three hours east of the 50-year-old Corbin's hometown of Columbia, S.C.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for Corbin to hire a former teammate. The NBA's ninth-longest-tenured head coach has done that twice since taking over for Jerry Sloan on Feb. 10, 2011

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Andy Katz: Jamal Franklin still out with a left ankle injury. Can only shoot. Likely won't risk working out. Visit list: Bos, NY, BK, Utah, Clev, Atl. Twitter

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Jazz small forawrd DeMarre Carroll will make 27 Junior Jazz appearances throughout Utah and into Nevada over the next two weeks, conducting clinics in the far reaches of the region.
Carroll will host clinics from June 17-28. The final clinic in Brigham City could be his last act as a member of the Jazz. Three days later, he becomes a free agent. Carroll has insisted since the end of the season that he wants to return to the Jazz next season.

That's a good sign as far as bringing him back I'd think.

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Most mock drafts have tabbed the 6-foot-3 combo guard as a top 10 selection, which would require the Jazz to make a trade to move up from their No. 14 and 21 first-round spots.

The two-time Patriot League Player of the Year believes he's ready to step in and play

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE]
The Wolves have limited assets to swing such a deal, namely third-year forward Derrick Williams, second-year guard Alexey Shved and the ninth and/or 26th picks. [URL="http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/211495981.html"]They also likely will trade one of two veteran guards

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Utah Jazz forward Marvin Williams has elected not to exercise his early termination option for the 2013-14 season, giving him one more year under contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2014, (http://www.csnnw.com/article/williams-declines-termination-option-will-return-jazz) a source informed CSNNW.com.

CSNNW.com (http://www.csnnw.com/article/williams-declines-termination-option-will-return-jazz)

shocking

Xiao Yao You
06-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Rodney Green will play the Orlando Summer League with the Utah Jazz (http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/57095/rodney-green-will-play-orlando-summer-league-with-jazz.html). Sportando (http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/57095/rodney-green-will-play-orlando-summer-league-with-jazz.html)

Xiao Yao You
06-15-2013, 07:55 AM
The Utah Jazz's busy week of evaluating prospective players will continue Saturday with a pair of intriguing pre-draft workouts.

Two West Coast Conference big men

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Steve Luhm: Big day for the Jazz: Four likely first-rounders worked out including Dieng, Gobert, Olynyk and Franklin.

Twitter @sluhm

Steve Luhm: Olynyk enjoyed talking hoops with John Stockton because he's "so smart. ... Five minutes with him is like 10 years with" somebody else.

Twitter @sluhm

Bill Oram: Utah C Jason Washburn almost got a 2nd workout with the Jazz today. Arsalan Kazemi sprained ankle in last workout, Wash was here as backup

Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2013, 12:56 AM
It was like old home day at the Zions Bank Basketball Center Saturday where an assemblage of familiar faces, headed by BYU forward Brandon Davies, worked out for the Utah Jazz.

Davies, who played four years for the Cougars and averaged 12.4 points and 6.2 rebounds in his career, was the most familiar of the dozen players who worked out in two separate sessions. But a bunch of players who competed against BYU in the West Coast Conference, against Utah in the Pac-12, or against both the Cougars and Utes in the Mountain West Conference back in the day, were among the 12 players who worked out for Jazz coaches and scouts.

Besides Davies, other players that have played in the state of Utah several times in recent years included Gonzaga forward Kelly Olynyk, Arizona forward Grant Jerrett, San Diego State guard Jamaal Franklin, Oregon

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2013, 12:57 AM
SUNDAY SESSION: Sundays pre-draft workout will include ex-Ute guard Will Clyburn (Iowa State), Tennessee State F Robert Covington, VCU G Troy Daniels, Kansas State G Rodney McGruder, Oregon F E.J. Singler and Memphis G/F Adonis Thomas.

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2013, 01:01 AM
The Utah Jazz have, in their history, drafted one player from Gonzaga University. And wouldn

Xiao Yao You
06-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Bill Oram: Oregon's E.J. Singler said former Jazz guard/coach Jeff Hornacek was one of his favorite players. Worked out for Jeff in Phoenix.

Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2013, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE]SALT LAKE CITY

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Jody Genessy: Jazz's second pre-draft workout session Monday: Tyler Brown, Tim Hardaway Jr., Ian Hummer, Shabazz Muhammad, B.J. Porter, Mfron Udofia.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Jazz's first pre-draft workout session Monday: Dewayne Dedmon, Lucas Nogueira, Mason Plumlee, Phil Pressey, Andrew Smith, Dexter Strickland.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz president Randy Rigby wouldn't comment when I asked if Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap will be here next season to enjoy the scoreboard. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

They won't both be back and Jefferson better not be back!

Steve Luhm: Jazz VP Walt Perrin says Tim Hardaway Jr. has an obvious NBA skill: "He can shoot the ball." Twitter @sluhm

Steve Luhm: Tim Hardaway Jr. says he has worked out for 10 teams and will work out for five more before the draft. Twitter @sluhm

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Bill Oram: Shabazz says he

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz are making a $15 million renovation to their 22-year-old arena. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Steve Miller: Jazz are making a significant investment into arena. HD LED scoreboard. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Bill Oram: Steve Miller says new audio and HD/LED video system will enhance overall experience/product of Jazz games. Twitter @tribjazz

Bill Oram: Steve Miller says "the most complete led package in all of professional sports." Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Steve Luhm: UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad met with Jazz officials today but did not work out. Injury-related, apparently. Twitter @sluhm

Bill Oram: Walked into Jazz gym to see the one and only Jerry Sloan deep in conversation with the younger of two Tim Hardaways. Twitter @tribjazz

Shabazz doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Jerry Sloan has been a tactful presence around the Utah Jazz's draft process, and he plans to continue providing subtle insight for the organization without

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Chris Roberts will join the Utah Jazz in the 2013 NBA Summer League LNBP

Chris Douglas? He's good.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Steve Luhm: Michael Carter-Williams, on working out for teams in the top 5 and the Jazz, who pick 14th: "You guys know the draft this year. It's crazy." Twitter @sluhm

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Jody Genessy: Former Ute Alex Jensen is here helping the Jazz at today's workouts. He is the reigning D-League coach of the year at Canton. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
06-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Playing for Kansas, Jeff Withey averaged 3.9 blocked shots per game and made a reputation for himself as one of the best rim protectors in college basketball.

The Utah Jazz already knew that about him. But that

Xiao Yao You
06-20-2013, 12:07 AM
There was this 7-foot center from Kansas, a big white guy who can definitely block shots and rebound but has somewhat suspect offensive skills, who was working out for the Utah Jazz on Wednesday.

No, thankfully, it was not Greg Ostertag.

On this occasion, it was Jeff Withey, who averaged 13.7 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.9 blocked shots per game during his senior season for the Jayhawks in 2012-13.

Withey, a consensus second-team All-American, was one of six players who worked out for the Jazz at Zions Bank Basketball Center on Wednesday morning in hopes of hearing their names called during next week's NBA draft.

The others included a pair of 6-9 forwards, Jackie Carmichael and Christian Watford, along with 6-2 guard Ray McCallum Jr., 6-4 guard Brandon Paul and 6-1 guard John Allen.

But Withey was by far the biggest

Xiao Yao You
06-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Paul Coro: Kenny Gattison, a #Suns teammate of Hornacek & West, is joining the Suns as an assistant coach. Last w/ATL in 2012, he's a 10-year NBA asst.

Twitter @paulcoro

So much for him as a coach with the Jazz.

El Kabong
06-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Yep, 1 more year at $9.3 million. S&T for Millsap or Jefferson? Mavs get Millsap/Jefferson on a 4 year $38/$45 million contract, Jazz get #13 + Shawn Marion.
Looks like it'll be even cheaper to buy the #13 and Marion, Cavs looking at trading #19 for it. Seems they only care about cap flexibility at this point.

Xiao Yao You
06-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Yeah I was thinking that too. But with Marvin under contract and G and possibly Demarre I'm not sure they want Marion around taking minutes?

El Kabong
06-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Trey Burke. For picks 14 and 21. Happy with that deal.

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Lindsey made a big splash with his first draft. The best pg. Sounds like he can catch and shoot which should make them pretty dynamic with he and G and Burks able to play with and without the ball. Mo says he won't come off the bench so I guess he's gone. They'd want him to earn the spot. Thing is he might have to come off the bench if he goes elsewhere too. Gobert a good project for the D-League. If he's in the rotation than there's a problem. The other guy they can stash. I would have though a sf might have made more sense. Supposed to be going after Copeland which makes sense. NY won't be able to match.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2013, 03:57 AM
They met ith Millsap. Going hard after Mayo. Also interested in Budinger and Splitter.

All make sense.

El Kabong
07-01-2013, 05:02 AM
They met ith Millsap. Going hard after Mayo. Also interested in Budinger and Splitter.

All make sense.
Nice. I heard Budinger and Splitter had multiple teams looking at them.

El Kabong
07-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Bobcats talking to Jefferson.

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Yes. Sounds like lots of interest in Mo and Tinsley too. Foye and Demarre most likely to be back. I think Foye needs to go along with Al.

Stockton back in the summer league! Liked what I saw from him. Wonder if his dad will work with Burke like he did with Deron?

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2013, 08:02 AM
They are after shooting and some vets.

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2013, 08:06 AM
They're talking to Paul, Mo and Demarre.

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Interest in Landry. He would be a nice cheaper option of Millsap.

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Also talking to Tinsley.

Xiao Yao You
07-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Earl talking to teams too. Supposedly played through sports hernia along with his knee problem last year.

El Kabong
07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Splitter and Budinger off the table now.

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Does West's deal set the price for Millsap?

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Knicks checking out Earl

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Andre Miller is available. Might want to look at bringing him back to SLC?

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Mitchell Anderson let go by Grizz as coach. I assume he's JJ who played on the Jazz in the early ugly years in Utah.

El Kabong
07-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Does West's deal set the price for Millsap?
He'll probably ask for it now, but I still wouldn't want to go over their original 3/24 offer.

El Kabong
07-04-2013, 01:05 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228614/Al-Jefferson-Waiting-On-Mavs-Before-Committing-To-Bobcats

Al Jefferson is waiting to see what happens with Dwight Howard and the Dallas Mavericks before committing to the Charlotte Bobcats.

Jefferson is searching for a four-year deal starting at approximately $15 million per season.

Jefferson has spent the past day and half meeting with the Bobcats.

Jefferson believes that the Mavericks could make an offer if Howard chooses to sign elsewhere.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

DMV2
07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
:rockon: The Kanter-Favors Era will rise!!!!

El Kabong
07-04-2013, 10:38 PM
:rockon: The Kanter-Favors Era will rise!!!!
:banana:

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Thanks for mentoring Enes Al. Good luck to you. Can't say I will miss you though.

Sign and trade for Gordon?

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Spencer said the Lakers, Pacers and the Jazz are front-runners and even the Nuggets, where Copeland played college, are interested. The Lakers may have to wait on Dwight Howard, but have their mini mid-level. Spencer didn

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Marc Stein: Just added to ESPN's latest Dwight story: Sources say Warriors and Jazz have opened talks on trade that would send Andrew Bogut to Jazz Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein: Jazz have expressed strongest interest to date in Bogut, sources say. No surprise after Al Jefferson's departure and Bogut's college ties Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

I was wondering if they might go after him. A great fit if healthy but as an expiring contract and possibly other assets to take on his contract it could be well worth it. I'd guess no Millsap than though I read somewhere that they wanted to bring Al and Paul both back which made no sense to me. Needs to be a 3 man big man rotation though I guess with Bogut you need some other good options.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Net Daily: #Nets interest in Livingston is not new. He has been at the top of their list for weeks. Tinsley also there, but he is more 1A.

Twitter @NetsDaily

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Jared Zwerling: Add the Grizzlies to the mix of teams interested in Chris Copeland. The #Knicks, Lakers, Pacers, Bucks, Jazz and Pelicans are still in play.

Twitter @JaredZwerling

Based on the GS deal the Jazz look to have a minimum of two roster spots to fill. I'd say they need a veteran pg to fight Burke for the starting job, possibly Mo and a veteran big man with some offensive ability at the very least. I'd guess if they get Copeland Demarre is gone. Another D-league project for the end of the roster and whatever else.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
No need for Foye with Rush and Jefferson.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski: Indiana is finalizing agreement on a two-year deal with Knicks free agent Chris Copeland, league sources tell Y! Twitter @WojYahooNBA

Marc Berman: Copeland will sign offer sheet with Indiana, his agent says. Indy sent great package to Copeland in Pacers jersey pictured. Twitter @NYPost_Berman

Frank Isola: Chris Copeland's agent confirms that the Pacers and Copeland have agreed to a a two-year, $6 million contract Twitter @FisolaNYDN

Bill Oram: Brandon Rush's agent describes rehab from ACL tear as "terrific" and that "he should be ready to go." Twitter @tribjazz

So much for Copeland. Rush should work out with the team in Summer league if he's ready.

El Kabong
07-05-2013, 08:42 PM
50/50 on the move. Sentimentality would have had me keep Millsap, but it's a decent long term move. Hopefully Corbin can get Biendrins up and about, he could be a pretty good backup if he gets his mojo flowing. Future 1sts could be anything, but that plus expiring deals does leave a lot of options open for future trades.

Xiao Yao You
07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
They're obviously tanking. That's what it comes down to. They'll have the money to sign G and Favors next year. Will Biedrins work with the Mailman? It's a contract year and a new team. Maybe he can return to form. As things stand now I'd look to start him and Kanter. Favors and Kanter getting the bulk of the minutes and Biedrins and Evans the rest. Either Jefferson or Rush starting alongside G and Obviously Burke as things stand now.

DMV2
07-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I hope this is the starting line up. I don't care if they're "tanking" or not.

Burke-Burks-Hayward-Favors-Kanter

This is what the fans want to see.

RJ should never be a starter ever again.
Rush is alright but at best he's a 6th Man.

DMV2
07-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Millsap off to Atlanta.

El Kabong
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Millsap signed with Atlanta.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Demarre too. Sad to see them go at that price.

El Kabong
07-06-2013, 02:14 AM
I don't think Biendrins needs to work with Malone, he just needs to not be terrified of touching the ball on offense.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Couldn't hurt. Karl went from being a 48% FT shooter as a rookie into a good one. A lot hew could learn from the Mailman. He was a double double guy. Great rebounder and shot blocker. High FG %. Looks like he still hits the boards and rebounds but the FT% is scary! He's still only 27.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 04:18 AM
One article says they around 8 million to spend still for 1 to 3 roster spots.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 04:41 AM
Yannis Koutroupis: Source says the Hawks were considering making an offer to free agent point guard Mo Williams before coming to terms with Paul Millsap.

Twitter @YannisHW

El Kabong
07-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Biendrins free throw issue is more Nick Anderson related than anything else I think.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz summer league injury update: F Tony Gaffney (right adductor) and G Jerel McNeal (mild MCL sprain, right knee) are both day-to-day. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Jazz summer league injury update: F Tony Gaffney (right adductor) and G Jerel McNeal (mild MCL sprain, right knee) are both day-to-day. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Good news. It sounded like they might not have him at the beginning at least while he got FIBA approval.

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Jody Genessy: Trey Burke will make $4,987,320 over next 2 years

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Jazz swingman Gordon Hayward will not play with the team this week, but he will attend part of the summer league with the team in Florida

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
it's quite possible that 7-foot-1 Gobert and his 7-foot-9 wingspan will challenge Biedrins and Evans for reserve action.

So far, Corbin has been impressed by Gobert's mobility, passing, shot-blocking and ability to close in the middle.

"He's fighting," the coach said.

Gobert is also learning.

Corbin chuckled while talking about how the Saint Quentin, France, native had to be reminded about NBA goaltending rules after he swatted the ball off the rim a couple of times earlier this week in Utah's mini-camp.

The Jazz are happy to have Gobert available to play. The 21-year-old had to work out a buyout with his French team and receive FIBA clearance before signing his contract with Utah (in the $1.08 million range).

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Corbin said the Jazz want to help Burks (third year) and Evans (fourth season) become more "comfortable" in the system, continue to learn about their games and "let their games grow."

Shooting guard Brandon Rush was one of three Warriors

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Bill Oram: Brooklyn was Jamaal Tinsley's primary suitor beyond Utah, sources say. If the Jazz want him, he remains interested in returning. Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
"We want him on the floor as much we can," Corbin said.

The sooner Burke can learn Utah's plays

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 04:55 AM
At the request of the Jazz, Hall of Fame guard John Stockton reviewed video of point guards and provided his opinions on the prospects. Jerry Sloan, the former head coach who returned to the team as a consultant, spotted Gobert during pre-draft workouts and reported, “The big guy plays hard; you need to look at him.” O’Connor, the team’s vice president of basketball operations, might have pulled off the biggest behind-the-scenes contribution.

“Two hours before the draft, Kevin got us some key draft information that indicated we needed to trade up to get Burke or we wouldn’t have gotten him,” says Lindsey. “If we stayed at 14, he felt like we were not going to get Burke or the other pool players. Kevin nailed the intel because of his network. He said this is what’s going to happen, and that’s exactly what happened.”

Then there is owner Greg Miller and his family, whom Lindsey credits for drafting Gobert. “In several previous meetings we said that if we do move up or trade out we might want to use resources (read: money) to get back in,” says Lindsey. “We had that in our hip pocket that if we did move up they would cash in the second-round pick.”

The Jazz draft has been praised far and wide, and it did much to re-energize fans, who were growing hopeless and cynical, but Lindsey is quick to temper the enthusiasm. Time will tell if the draft was successful, and Lindsey urges patience for players, fans and coaches. He notes that Stockton waited three years to win a starting job, and Deron Williams had to wait half of his rookie year to crack the lineup. The Jazz have also been patient with Gordon Hayward, Alec Burks, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter.

“We don’t want to skip steps,” says Lindsey.

Like their small-market brothers San Antonio and Oklahoma City, the Jazz build through the draft (at least partly because they can seldom if ever land big-name free agents). So when Lindsey talks about free agency, he uses the word “patience” frequently — as in “we’ll be very disciplined and patient with free agents. It’s an unhealthy market some times. You’re paying a premium for past production. We build through the draft and augment through free agency. Rookie (pay) scales are more favorable to the team than free agents.”

There is little chance the Jazz can land a marquee free agent or a ready-made team like the Heat and Lakers do annually, and Lindsey says as much, but offers this caveat: “You never know. We don’t want the Jazz or Salt Lake to feel defeatist, like we’re not worthy. We think we have a lot to offer. If you don’t want to come, it’s our job to figure out a way to beat you. We’ll always be pitching and making the compelling case.”

So the Jazz will wait to see how things shake out before they make a free-agent move. Two of the Jazz's unrestricted free agents, Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll, agreed to two-year deals with the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night.

“You could be in the right range for a player financially, but you have to be very clear about their role and their playing time. They have to understand there are no promises.”

If it seems overwhelming for Lindsey to take over a team in such transition, with a long list of critical questions to answer, he doesn’t let on. This is what he was trained to do and he seems to embrace the challenge.

“It’s very busy, but fun work,” he says. “There’s a lot of opportunity here relative to our own free agents and a young baseline of talent. I feel like I’m lucky to inherit this situation. If we had draft picks coming due or low character on the bench or salary cap issues, it might be different. I’m the beneficiary of an organization that values continuity.”

So Stock said get Burke? Jerry liked Gobert. Eaton with actual skills? Tag that plays hard?

Pretty sure they knew they had to move to get Burke. The most disturbing rumor I heard is they were looking to move Kanter to get higher. Not sure anyone in the draft will be as good as Enes nor will everyone's darling Favors.

Greg paying the money to move back into the first round was definitely noted.

Stockton and Deron should have been starting right away. Deron started the season as the starter before Jerry benched him behind two stiffs. Jefferson should have been moved to play Favors and Kanter. Burks deserved to play as well and based on the recent trade he might get screwed again it looks like.

I'm guessing Demarre might have left because of his role after the trade. Maybe Paul was told he would come off the bench?

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Jason Quick: Blazers have signed Earl Watson Twitter @jwquick

Sam Amick: Watson will go on a one-year, $1.4 million deal to join the Blazers. Twitter @sam_amick

Jason Quick: Earl Watson said he chose Portland because of his relationship with GM Olshey, who he has known since he was 17 Twitter @jwquick

Jason Quick: "I want to mentor one of the best point guards in the league in Lillard ... and CJ too. Make them better on and off the court,'' Earl Watson Twitter @jwquick

Jason Quick: Watson, who turned 34 last month, said he played most of last year with a sports hernia, which he didn't realize until the end of the season Twitter @jwquick

Earl Watson: Thank you to coach Sloan, KOC, Dennis Lindsey, Corbin & the Miller family! As well as the amazing fans! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Twitter @Earl_Watsonmore at

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 05:10 AM
[QUOTE]As this summer

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Jody Genessy: Raul Neto is in Orlando awaiting FIBA clearance to be able to participate in summer league, according to a source. He's been observing Jazz. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: If Raul Neto is cleared to play this week, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be with the Jazz this upcoming season. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Where's Tomic!

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Jody Genessy: Still no official word on Raul Neto's status. He is awaiting FIBA clearance to play in summer league. Doesn't appear he'll play today. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Point guard Raul Neto is setting near the end of the Jazz bench. He's not wearing a uniform but is cheering his American team on. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Jazz still haven't announced Brad Jones is a full-time assistant, but he's standing with Tyrone Corbin, Sidney Lowe and Michael Sanders. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Hall of Fame coach/senior basketball adviser Jerry Sloan is sitting behind the Utah Jazz's bench here at the Orlando Pro Summer League. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Impressed by Gobert. Burke not so much. Burks sprained ankle out for the rest of the game. Evans hit a long J!

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz haven't admitted they've made a trade with Golden State, but Kevin Murphy is no longer with the team, for what that's worth. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Jody Genessy: Hayward on rebuilding Jazz: "You're going to miss the guys...but you kind of move forward to the next chapter, and I'm excited about that."

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Trey Burke was out of sorts for much of his professional debut, a 69-59 win over the Miami Heat at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

His shots were blocked, his bounce passes bounced off feet and, in what is the real killer for a 6-foot point guard, he looked slow.

The good news for the Jazz is that this is the Orlando Pro Summer League, where young players come to learn the NBA game. Burke, the No. 9 pick who the Jazz acquired in a draft-day trade, said he was jittery before the first game, but didn’t use that as a crutch for his 1-for-12 shooting performance.

"There’s no excuse for that," Burke said. "I think my shot will fall, that’s all about just staying confident in my shot, and I think I’ve got to feel comfortable."

Where Burke struggled shooting, he made up for it by being balanced: He tallied 8 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and just 2 turnovers.

He was matched against former Texas guard Myck Kabongo, who acknowledged the difference between college and the NBA game, even if it’s just summer league.

"Anytime you make that transition," said Kabongo, who finished with 3 points and was 0-for-4 from the field, "there’s going to be that jump. Everyone’s good at basketball, it’s no secret, you just got to compete."

The Jazz drafted Burke to be the fifth piece of their young core. The level of expectation on the Columbus, Ohio, native means every move will be scrutinized by a fan base desperate for success from the point guard. Burke had just one week to work with his new coaches and teammates at a minicamp in Orlando, but games like Sunday could lead to panic.

If there was a message from the Jazz contingent at Amway Center after the prized rookie’s first appearance, it was this: The new kid will be just fine.

"I think it’s good to get that first one out of the way," said Jazz swingman Gordon Hayward, who is with the team to observe but is not playing. "[He] didn’t shoot the ball extremely well. ... You can see when he’s out there, he’s calm, It didn’t seem like he got rattled too much, and that’s definitely a good sign."

In a rebuild, Burke will get every opportunity to assert himself as the point guard of the future. Sunday was a gentle reminder that getting to the future requires growing and that with growing comes pains.

An area where Burke looked NBA-ready on Sunday was working and communicating with his teammates. Burke, known for his leadership at the University of Michigan, spent much of the game coaching and advising roster hopefuls such as Rasid Mahalbasic and Dionte Christmas.

"We’ve actually seen that all week long," Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe said, "his communication with his teammates, getting guys in positions if someone makes a mistake, sort of talking to them, you know, let’s get back, get back on defense.

Christmas, a former star at Temple whose most recent experience was in the Italian League, led the Jazz with 14 points off the bench. Former Bradley University guard Chris Roberts added 11.

Jazz guard Alec Burks shot 4-for-6 and scored 10 points in 10 minutes before leaving the game with a mildly sprained left ankle. He is listed as day-to-day. Jazz forward Jeremy Evans scored 6 points and grabbed 5 rebounds.

As a sophomore at Michigan, Burke shot 46.3 percent from the field, but poor shooting games weren’t uncommon for the 20-year-old. He was 1-for-8 in the Final Four against Syracuse, and 2-for-12 in an opening-round game against South Dakota State.

"It’s not all about scoring in my position," Burke said. "I have to be a leader out there, I have to be able to get guys going as well and just find ways to lead the team to victory. So I felt like I did a solid job of that today."

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 06:05 AM
He showed some leadership skills at the end of the game. Wasn't too impressed overall though. Gobert will fit in nicely eventually.

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Hall of Fame coach/senior basketball adviser Jerry Sloan is with the team. Coach Ty Corbin and lead assistant Lowe observed while assistant Michael Sanders coached the game with newly promoted Brad Jones at his side.

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 08:57 AM
"They promoted me to coach," Gordon Hayward said.

Don't worry, fans. He was joking.

Hayward will still be a Jazz wing this upcoming season, but he decided to swing down and attend the summer league in central Florida to meet his new teammates and support buddies Jeremy Evans and Alec Burks.

"We've got a young group of guys," Hayward said, "and I want to be a part of that

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
The Golden State Warriors are in advanced discussions on a three-way, sign-and-trade scenario centered on delivering a trade exception and Utah Jazz free agent Randy Foye to the Denver Nuggets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

In the deal, which could be finalized on Monday, Denver would sign-and-trade forward Andre Iguodala to Golden State for the four-year, $48 million contract he had agreed to sign with the Warriors. This would create a $12 million trade exception that the Nuggets would have a full year to use before it expires. Utah would sign-and-trade Foye to Denver on a three-year, $9 million deal, with a team option on the third season, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

What do the Jazz get other than getting rid of Foye?

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Yet another player from last year's Utah Jazz team is heading elsewhere. The Jazz will ship shooting guard Randy Foye to Denver and receive a 2018 second-round pick from Golden State in a three-way deal, a source confirmed to the Deseret News. Deseret News

Andre Iguodala will be involved in this three-way deal, as he'll be signed by Denver and sent to Golden State. Deseret News

I'm assuming this is one of the 3 they were already getting not a 4th 2nd rounder?

So Mo and Tinsley are thw only to left right? Both of which are still in play last I heard. They definitely need a vet after Burke's debut.

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Marc Stein: In search for backup PG, Utah has turned attention to John Lucas. Raps ex spotted huddling today at Orlando Summer League w/Jazz officials Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Bill Oram: I can confirm Jazz officials were speaking with John Lucas III today at summer league. No idea whether that means a deal's forthcoming. Twitter @tribjazz

That better be for the 3rd pg guard spot. He's not back-up or starter unless you want to be even more obvious about the tank.

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Free agent guard Raja Bell worked out for the Knicks in New York on Monday and stood out to the point where he could receive consideration for a roster spot, a league source told RealGM. The Knicks have been intrigued by the outside shooting and defensive versatility that Bell is known for, and they invited him into their facility on Monday. In the workouts, Bell shot well and outplayed New York

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Bill Oram: Sources confirm that, yes, John Lucas was in Orlando yesterday to meet with the Jazz. He has interest from four teams. Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE]SUMMER NOTES: The Jazz had a bye Monday but will resume their five-game schedule Tuesday at 1 p.m. MDT (NBA-TV).

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Free-agent guard John Lucas III met with Utah Jazz executives on Monday in Orlando, but the two sides have not reached a deal. "John has started the process of meeting with teams who have an interest in him," Lucas' agent, Bernie Lee, told USA TODAY Sports in a text message. "He has his next meeting set for tomorrow back home in Houston. John hopes to make a decision by the end of the week."

USA Today Sports

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Rick Bonnell: Kemba Walker on Bobcats adding Al Jefferson: "Was I excited? I almost shredded a tear. That's what we need." Twitter @rick_bonnell

I doubt he feels that way after he stands around watching Al with the ball.

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2013, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE]Bill Oram: Neto says the Jazz have not bought him out of his ACB contract so he

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE] Trey Burke is making progress when it comes to his shooting at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

In his debut Sunday, the Utah Jazz rookie missed 11 shots.

In his second game Tuesday, the No. 9 pick only missed 10 field goals.

Media didn't get a chance to chat with Utah's young point guard after the team's 85-71 loss to Houston, but Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe didn't seem fazed by Burke's second poor shooting performance

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 04:07 AM
[QUOTE] As a second-year Utah Jazz guard, Alec Burks was burdened by discontentment and questions of just what was expected of him.

"Sometimes I wouldn

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Burke's debut in Jazz gear was, well, very 1-for-12 like.

If trading up with Minnesota to grab the highly touted point guard was the party, Sunday's game at the Orlando Pro Summer League felt like the next morning's cleaning reality check.

The 6-foot-1 guard, whom Utah obtained for the 14th and 21st picks after Minnesota drafted him ninth overall, finished with eight points with 11 misses, seven rebounds and five assists in this summer outing.

"Poor shooting, obviously," said Burke, a 6-foot-1 player who just couldn't get into an offensive rhythm while assessing his first Jazz appearance. "It wasn't my best game, below average to me, but we won so that's all that matters."

Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward, who observed from the bench, cracked a slight grin when asked about Burke's performance in Utah's 69-59 win over Miami.

"It's good to get that first one out of the way," Hayward said. "He didn't shoot the ball extremely well, but that

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Jody Genessy: Jazz center Rudy Gobert must return to France this summer to obtain a work visa, but he will not stay to participate with the national team. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Chris Vivlamore: Hawks have officially signed Paul Millsap. #ATLHawks Twitter @ajchawks

Jody Genessy: Another source confirmed that Jazz center Rudy Gobert will have a minor ingrown toenail procedure after summer league. Nothing serious. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Thanks Paul! :applause:

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
So what is Neto's buyout? As of now I'd have Burke behind Neto, McNeal and Stockton and he'd be ticketed for the D-League to start the year.

Evans had a nice game.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Chris Vivlamore: Danny Ferry on pursuit of Paul Millsap: "He was a priority for us from the start. He got the call at 12:01 (a.m. on July 1)." #ATLHawks Twitter @ajchawks

Rick Bonnell: Al Jefferson signing done. Twitter @rick_bonnell

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Jody Genessy: Spain or Jazz? Raul Neto: "Of course, if I have to choose, I want to play NBA, but it's not my choice." Jazz and his agent will decide.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Jody Genessy: Center Rudy Gobert said he'll have his toe procedure done in France when he returns from summer league. He'll come back to Utah in August.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Jazz center Rudy Gobert will not participate with the French national team this summer, but he plans on playing with Les Bleus next year.

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Jody Genessy: Lindsey on patience of Hayward, Favors, Kanter and Burks: "They're ambitious and competitive. They wanted more opportunity, and here it is."

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Still not convinced things have changed much as far as Burks go.

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 01:56 AM
From David Locke:

Defense. Young teams are not usually good defensively but as the Jazz build the core of Jazz 4.0 (the Jazz next generation) this will be a group capable of defending. Favors and Kanter can anchor the middle. Burks and Hayward are active on the wings and Rudy Gobert in years could be a major defensive force in the NBA.

I think this is where they could be really special. Young guys that already get after it defensively.

[QUOTE] Over the last three season

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 01:59 AM
"I thought he did a great job. For having not practiced at all, it tells you a little bit about his mentality," Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe said of Neto. "He sat over there and watched and listened to everything that was going on in practice, and he was able to come in and run the plays.

"He knew every call. He knew the action. He knew where guys were supposed to be. He knew the timing. That speaks volumes."

Judging Neto's debut in Utah's 98-69 win over Brooklyn's summer squad, you might have thought he was the NCAA player of the year.

He isn't. That well-earned distinction belongs to Burke, who was given the day off by the Jazz coaching staff after shooting 22.2 percent from the field with only seven assists and six turnovers in two previous games.

"It's been a long time since I haven't played in a game," said Burke, who led Michigan to the 2013 NCAA championship game. "It wasn't hard because I knew I wasn't being punished."

Rather, Lowe cited multiple reasons why the Jazz had the ninth-overall pick the organization traded up to obtain sit this one out.

Coaches wanted to give him rest and to allow Neto and Jerel McNeal play.

The staff wanted Burke to watch from the bench so he could see the quicker pace, observe plays develop and get a feel for timing.

They also wanted him to sit next to Jazz assistant Brad Jones and be able to learn throughout the game.

"I think," Lowe said, "it was huge for him to sit back this game."

Burke, who hopes to be an NBA All-Star, let alone a summer league starter, looked a bit fidgety on the bench, even gnawing at his nails at times. But he also engaged in multiple discussions with Jones, cheered when his teammates did well, and said he took the educational opportunity in stride.

"It was good for me," Burke said, "to learn from a different perspective, learning from the bench and talking to the coaches, just trying to pick their brains from the bench.

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 02:01 AM
"He sat over there and watched and listened to everything that was going on in practice and he was able to come in and run the plays," Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe said, marveling.

While lottery selection Trey Burke was held out Wednesday to watch, assistant Brad Jones talking him through every developing scenario, Neto took over.

"He knew every call," Lowe said. "He knew the action, he knew where guys were supposed to be, he knew the timing. So that speaks volumes."

It also amped up the decibels of cries from fans hoping the Jazz negotiate a buyout of Neto

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Jazz forward Jeremy Evans is also playing hurt. He broke his nose at mini-camp last week, and will have it re-evaluated next week. Evans scored 15 points with nine rebounds in the Jazz's 98-69 win over Brooklyn.

ROUGH YEAR: Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey admitted that he and Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's executive vice president of basketball operations, put Utah coach Tyrone Corbin in a tough spot last season. The 43-39 team missed the playoffs while trying to make a playoff push with seven veterans on expiring contracts and younger players needing but not always getting court time to blossom.

"We were trying to give the veterans their proper respect and opportunity as well as develop," Lindsey said in a phone interview with beat writers.

"On a season basis, Ty did a very good job. With any one game it became difficult at certain points. And times it certainly felt like we were trying to serve two different directions and sometimes going in completely opposite ways."

I think Ty has taken to much flak for sure. I'm not happy with everything he does but you have to look at the whole organization. Now that they have a definite direction you can start judging things a little more fairly.

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE]"We needed size. We needed shooting," Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said. "Clearly, what we had on our roster after the draft, we needed some experience. We checked a few boxes there."

While the Jazz press release listed off the five draft picks and cash considerations the Jazz will also receive in the deal, it didn't mention the names Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter or Alec Burks.

It could have.

This transaction was about them.

The deal helps fill up Utah's roster for 2013-14, but it was mostly for the future.

Combine this wheeling and dealing with the fact that Utah is watching all of its 2012-13 free agents drift off elsewhere, and it's clear the Jazz have made a strong commitment to complementing a young core that now also includes enticing point guard Trey Burke.

Let the Jr. Jazz movement begin.

"Difficult decisions need to be made," Lindsey said. "I saw it as a dilemma where we really had several good options as far as signing guys back or going with a youth movement."

So long, grizzled veterans Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Earl Watson and Mo Williams. Good luck, Randy Foye, Jamaal Tinsley and DeMarre Carroll.

Have at it, kids.

"We really appreciate the patience and the trust that Alec and Gordon and Enes and Derrick have shown thus far, but they're ambitious and competitive," Lindsey said. "They wanted more opportunity, and here it is."

Ready or not.

Trading up to get Burke after Minnesota drafted him ninth overall set in motion a flurry of action by the Jazz.

So far, that's resulted in the Jazz acquiring a half-dozen new players

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 02:38 AM
[QUOTE]Bobcats coach Steve Clifford said Jefferson gives the Bobcats a proven veteran who can mentor young big men Bismack Biyombo and Zeller and take pressure off the team

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 02:45 AM
[QUOTE]
The Atlanta Hawks made former Jazz forward Paul Millsap their top acquisition priority this offseason, sealing the deal Wednesday.

Hawks general manager Danny Ferry announced Millsap officially signed his new contract Wednesday morning. Atlanta wasted no time, contacting Millsap at 12:01 a.m. by phone to reassure Millsap of the team's interest. Millsap reportedly signed a projected two-year, $19 million deal, although official terms were not disclosed per team policy.

"Paul (Millsap) was one of our top priorities entering the free agency process and we believe he is a great fit with the team and culture that we are trying to build,

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 03:14 AM
[QUOTE]Late last week, Tyrone Corbin promised prized rookie Trey Burke would play at the Orlando Pro Summer League as long as he could stand.

Three games in, he sat.

The former Michigan star was held out of the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
The newest Nuggets come via trade (Randy Foye) and free agency (J.J. Hickson). Foye, in particular, was persuaded by Tim Connelly, Nuggets new executive director of basketball operations. "Tim Connelly was one of the first guys that contacted me," Foye said. "I was thinking that (Andre) Iguodala was coming back. Everything played out the way it needed to play out. When Utah didn't call me back I was a little upset, but I got a chance to talk to some of the guys and just realized 'man this is a business.' "The way me and Tim spoke on the phone, it was really cool, just to see him and the way he was working with my agent. Working with us to get me there. There were a lot of things where the deal could have broken down. Tim just stayed in there and made things happen. That was something I appreciated about the whole situation." Boulder Daily Camera

I was worried about him. Sounded like he might be back. Not a good fit for their offense. Hopefully Rush fits better. Would appear to have a better all around game. Is he a spot up shooter? Can he come off screens? Mid-range game?

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Bill Oram: Jazz will be aligned with Bakersfield Jam after Reno Bighorns enter single-team partnership with Sacramento Kings. Twitter @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Bill Oram: Rudy Gobert described his surgery as different from an ingrown toenail. Says his shoes were too short. Recovery from surgery 2-3 weeks. Twitter @tribjazz

Jody Genessy: Asked which non-roster guys have stood out for Jazz, Coach Lowe pointed out Dionte Christmas, Chris Roberts, James Mays and Tony Gaffney. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Let's step up shoe companies. Stockton hasn't gotten much of a look this year with. The two draft picks and McNeal.

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Earlier this week, Utah Jazz shooting guard Alec Burks had something to say to assistant coach Sidney Lowe after a game at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

"Coach, did you see that defense?"

Lowe had seen it.

"That's exciting for us," Lowe said.

It wasn't just exciting to see that the third-year pro played defense.

It was also exciting for the Jazz coaching staff that Burks listened to its advice and then returned with a positive self-report.

That's progress in action.

"We know that he can score the basketball. He can get to the basket," Lowe said. "But I saw him trying to really defend a little better here this summer, really trying to get after people better."

Burks has shown an improvement in the angles he takes on opposing shooting guards, Lowe said. He's pressuring the ball better. He's being more aggressive.

"He's certainly got to get better," Lowe said, "but he's working at it."

Burks didn't play in the Jazz's 79-73 loss to Indiana on Thursday

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Trey Burke's brief bench banishment ended Thursday.

Unfortunately for the rookie point guard, his poor shooting didn't.

Though he made three shots in a row in the first half, the national player of the year missed his final 11 field goals in a 79-73 loss to Indiana at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

Burke, acquired in a draft-day trade after being picked No. 9 by Minnesota, has now only hit 9 of 42 shots (21.4 percent) in a Jazz uniform.

The 20-year-old said he felt rested after Jazz coaches had him sit out Wednesday's win over Brooklyn, but he's mystified by his continued inaccuracy.

"I know I can play much better than what I've been showing," Burke said.

According to the Jazz, those poor offensive numbers don't tell the full story.

Assistant Sidney Lowe credited him for being livelier Thursday.

"He went to the basket a couple of times and was able to get up and get the shot off," Lowe said of Burke, who had one particularly nice move when he went left and floated in a driving shot off the backboard.

"His defense was a little better; his movement was better," Lowe added. "I think the rest really helped him."

As coaches hoped, Burke did a better job of pushing the pace. That was one of the things he was instructed to do while sitting next to Jazz assistant Brad Jones during his one-game rest.

"The coaches said I played good, just my shot is flat. I've got to get some arch on my shot," Burke said. "That's just an adjustment I've got to make as well as playing through mistakes. Sometimes I make the wrong pass and I'm getting down on myself. I'm just trying to get comfortable out there."

Burke did finish with a plus-minus rating of plus-1 in a loss despite his 3-for-15 shooting. He had eight points, four assists, four rebounds and just one turnover in 26 minutes.

CHAMPIONSHIP DAY: Call off the parade preparations. The Jazz were eliminated from playing for the OPSL title with their loss Thursday. Utah is one of six teams that finished with a 2-2 record, but the Jazz and Pacers will have an early rematch Friday (8 a.m. MDT, NBA-TV) in the third/fourth-place game. Both teams finished with 16 points (three for victories, one for winning quarters).

Houston and Oklahoma City, both 4-0, will square off for the first championship in this new tournament format.

GAME RECAP: Former Bradley standout Chris Roberts, starting for Alec Burks, continued his solid play for the Jazz, leading the team with 18 points in Thursday's setback. The 6-4 shooting guard, who played for Austin in the D-League last season, leads the Jazz in scoring with 14.7 ppg this week.

Rookie center Rudy Gobert, the 27th pick in last month's draft, had another solid game with 11 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots. Guard Jerel McNeal, who has a non-guaranteed contract with Utah, scored 11 points.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
07-11-2013, 10:49 PM
When Rudy Gobert stands underneath a regulation basket and extends his arms as high as they will go, he is separated from the rim by less than the length of an average ballpoint pen.

To dunk, he doesn

Xiao Yao You
07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE]"I thought all the guys played well, played hard," Corbin said.

Some shot better than others.

Although Jazz coaches aren't acting overly concerned about Burke's offensive debut, the shooting struggles of the national player of the year will probably be the lasting memory of this summer session.

Only three months after leading Michigan to the NCAA championship game, Burke just couldn't find his groove

Xiao Yao You
07-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Summer league results

Sunday

Xiao Yao You
07-13-2013, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE]"I think my performance," Burke said, "was poor."

Two weeks after the Utah Jazz boldly traded up in the NBA Draft to acquire Burke, the rookie

Xiao Yao You
07-13-2013, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE]One summer league ended Friday amid scuttlebutt that another could be starting back up.

Utah Jazz president Randy Rigby said Friday that he is gauging interest around the NBA of resurrecting the Rocky Mountain Revue, the popular summer league played in Salt Lake City for 24 years until 2008. At the time, more teams began flocking to the slate of games in Las Vegas, which is run by the NBA, and the Revue fizzled.

Now, Rigby believes the trend could be going the other way.

"There seems to be an interest from teams in bringing it back," Rigby said. "We have an interest, and I think we have a fan base that would support it."

Rigby said the Jazz would ideally start a six-team summer league next summer the week before Las Vegas

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2013, 04:29 AM
The Jazz got a "significant amount of cash" (Lindsey's words) for helping the Warriors clear enough salary space to obtain shooting guard Andre Iguodala from Denver. That undisclosed amount of money, the GM noted while thanking the Miller family, will be used for basketball-related facilities, to improve scouting and/or to sign and trade for other players.

"We're going to invest that money in ourselves," Lindsey said.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Jefferson does bring in a career scoring average of 15.0 ppg on 46.6 percent shooting, so it's possible he could find time behind Hayward and rehabbing Marvin Williams.

Jefferson has certainly faded but he's still got to be better than Marvin no?

El Kabong
07-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Always look pretty crap when i've seen the Warriors play last year.