PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Butler is the best perimeter defender in NBA

Graviton
04-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Can't believe how underrated Jimmy is by both the media and fans around the forums. He can actually guard stars and limit them, unlike most of the other hyped defenders that get owned by them.

I keep hearing Avery Bradley, Iggy, Shumpert, Tony Allen being thrown around as the best perimeter defenders, but Butler is even better due to his size. He is like a bigger Bradley that picks up superstars full court and forces misses with his pressure defense around the perimeter and his physicality in the paint. And Jimmy can actually limit SUPERSTARS, watch his defense vs Kobe, Lebron and Melo this year, guys that routinely embarass so called "elite" defenders on daily basis. But Butler actually held his own against them and got them below their averages.

I saw him pick up Lebron full court, force him to slow down his dribble and make him pass the ball over and over. James wasn't very comfortable with Butler on him. But then Deng came in and not surprisingly Lebron went ham again.

Against Kobe/Melo he was even better, Kobe couldnt blow by him or get him in the air with his 1000 fakes, he couldn't shoot over him or even get an open look due to Butler's quickness. Melo got some buckets in the post against Butler, but every time he tried a jumper Butler was instantly in his face and forced him to miss most of them.

And the craziest part is Butler gets better as the game goes on, more minutes he plays more amazing his defense gets. While stars are getting tired he is gaining ennergy, feeding on their bricks and fueling his intensity. No one has the size, quickness, physicality and defensive IQ of Butler combined in one deadly monster package. Allen/Bradley are too small and limited, Shumpert isn't even the same as before, Iggy is shorter/weaker. But Butler has all the tools, Scottie Pippen 2.0. :bowdown:

http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/jimmy_butler.jpg

Psycho
04-18-2013, 05:44 PM
He's pretty black, I can dig it. :rockon:

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Lebron is.

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
False statement. Lebron isn't either. I would say Tony Allen or Avery Bradley

Psycho
04-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Falsity is a social construct.

pegasus
04-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Lebron is.
:lol

Talking about 1-on-1 here. Lebron gets beat off the dribble way too easily to be even mentioned.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Did you even read the OP?

Bradley and Allen are too small, who the **** they gonna guard that's worth a shit? Some Point Guards and hollow SG position?

Butler actually guards the best players in the league like Lebron/Melo/Kobe, when he has to be both quick and STRONG to guard them. Bradley/Allen chasing CP3/Wade around and not even limiting them that much doesn't make them the best.

I swear this APril 2013 class has nothing but busts. :oldlol:

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
:lol

Talking about 1-on-1 here. Lebron gets beat off the dribble way too easily to be even mentioned.
He doesn't get beat 1 on 1 that much. He isn't as great of a man defender as he is help, but is still a very good man defender. We all saw him stop Rose in the 2011 ECF. He has also guarded Pierce very well throughout his career.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Bradley and Allen are too small, who the **** they gonna guard that's worth a shit? Some Point Guards and hollow SG position?

Butler actually guards the best players in the league like Lebron/Melo/Kobe, when he has to be both quick and STRONG to guard them. Bradley/Allen chasing CP3/Wade around and not even limiting them that much doesn't make them the best.

Lebron can guard all 5 positions, therefore using your logic he is the best.

Levity
04-18-2013, 05:51 PM
i love me some jimmy butler. hes the type of player every coach would love to have on their team. a player who does a little of everything; decent shooter/scorer, great defender, good rebounder. we seem to have a lot of these types of players developing in the league. IE kawhi, and parsons. and though hes been around a while longer than the first two, sefolosha.

WayOfWade
04-18-2013, 05:54 PM
No argument here.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 05:54 PM
He doesn't get beat 1 on 1 that much. He isn't as great of a man defender as he is help, but is still a very good man defender. We all saw him stop Rose in the 2011 ECF. He has also guarded Pierce very well throughout his career.
You obviously haven't watched many Heat games, Lebron gets beat off the dribble a lot because he plays lazy most of the time, and he is also late contesting shots, often getting his hand up when the opponent is already finishing his stroke.

So he is best because he guarded a smaller PG 2 years ago in 4 games? And limiting an old washed up Pierce that Deng owns even worse? Makes perfect sense.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Lebron can guard all 5 positions, therefore using your logic he is the best.
This guy...:lol

Are you pauk's alt? "Lebron can guard all 5 positions", too bad he can't guard 5 positions at an elite level, Butler can guard 3 positions better than Lebron can guard 5.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 05:56 PM
You obviously haven't watched many Heat games, Lebron gets beat off the dribble a lot because he plays lazy most of the time, and he is also late contesting shots, often getting his hand up when the opponent is already finishing his stroke.

So he is best because he guarded a smaller PG 2 years ago in 4 games? And limiting an old washed up Pierce that Deng owns even worse? Makes perfect sense.
using your dumb logic, u said butler is a better defender than allen and bradley because of his versatility. well lets see, there is no defender more versatile than lebron james .

and lol at that bullshit analysis. If he can guard the most explosive guard in the NBA 1 on 1, I fail to see how he gets beat 1 on 1 easily.

lebron lazy? now your just being stupid

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Are you pauk's alt? "Lebron can guard all 5 positions", too bad he can't guard 5 positions at an elite level, Butler can guard 3 positions better than Lebron can guard 5.
Lebron can guard the 1-3 better than Butler can and so can Iguodala. So you fail.

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 05:59 PM

I didn't read the op. I just skimmed through it but if you going by that then I would Lebron. Lebron as the ability to guard all positions. Luol Deng is a good choice too. I'm not trying to take anything from Butler. Oh and you also stated in your title perimeter defender so I thought you meant strictly on on the perimeter

Graviton
using your dumb logic, u said butler is a better defender than allen and bradley because of his versatility. well lets see, there is no defender more versatile than lebron james .

and lol at that bullshit analysis. If he can guard the most explosive guard in the NBA 1 on 1, I fail to see how he gets beat 1 on 1 easily.

lebron lazy? now your just being stupid
Yea I think the stupid one is you.

Your bullshit is based on hypothetical scenarios, I am talking abotu THIS season. And so far Lebron hasn't played the defense you are talking about, maybe he will in the playoffs, but so far he has not.

This year I seen him be lazy and allow some scrubs to blow by him, contest 3 pointers way late and allow some nobodies to go off. Now you can make the case he is capable of being that good but he just doesn't try that hard on defens ein regular season, but that's another argument entirely. We can only judge what players DO, not what they have done or WILL do. Living in the past or future is just retarded.

Electric Slide
Yea I think the stupid one is you.

Your bullshit is based on hypothetical scenarios, I am talking abotu THIS season. And so far Lebron hasn't played the defense you are talking about, maybe he will in the playoffs, but so far he has not.

This year I seen him be lazy and allow some scrubs to blow by him, contest 3 pointers way late and allow some nobodies to go off. Now you can make the case he is capable of being that good but he just doesn't try that hard on defens ein regular season, but that's another argument entirely. We can only judge what players DO, not what they have done or WILL do. Living in the past or future is just retarded.
Except he shut down Carmelo Anthony this season.

Yeah, no big deal shutting down the scoring leader and the best scorer in the NBA, not named Lebron James.

Both Iguodala and Lebron are better defenders than this Butler kid, that is why both of them will get more DPOY votes too

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I didn't read the op. I just skimmed through it but if you going by that then I would Lebron. Lebron as the ability to guard all positions. Luol Deng is a good choice too. I'm not trying to take anything from Butler. Oh and you also stated in your title perimeter defender so I thought you meant strictly on on the perimeter
By perimeter defender i just meant someone who can guard PG-SF, bot PF-C. But even post defense or stopping drives can be counted too I guess, Butler has done very well against Kobe, Lebron and Melo even in the post and drives.

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
By perimeter defender i just meant someone who can guard PG-SF, bot PF-C. But even post defense or stopping drives can be counted too I guess, Butler has done very well against Kobe, Lebron and Melo even in the post and drives.

Well I would go with Lebron, Iggy, Thabo, or Deng. Lebron would be my first choice cause he's bigger faster stronger and can do everything better that butler.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Yeah, no big deal shutting down the scoring leader and the best scorer in the NBA, not named Lebron James.

Both Iguodala and Lebron are better defenders than this Butler kid, that is why both of them will get more DPOY votes too
Yea ok, Lebron shut down Carmelo this season, that's why Knicks blew out the Heat 3 times. :oldlol: And Lebron didn't even play last time, not to mention Battier was the one guarding Melo last year most of the time.

I have watched more Heat, Bulls games than you, I actually know wtf I am talking about. You sound like some idiot who listens to ESPN all day and throws out the usualy garbage like "Lebron can guard all positions", "Lebron shut down Rose/Melo", "Lebron limited God himself".

pegasus

:roll: :roll: :roll:
When did that happen? When they were getting blown out time after time?

Electric Slide
The only thing I see is that the OP is listing some no name player in Jimmy Butler that nobody cares about and watches, so nobody can dispute him. OP just wants to discredit Lebron because everyone knows he is the best perimeter defender in teh game but since people watch him and have obvious bias towards he knows he can get away with saying bullshit like he has all thread long.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Well I would go with Lebron, Iggy, Thabo, or Deng. Lebron would be my first choice cause he's bigger faster stronger and can do everything better that butler.
When he actually tries maybe, but THIS season Lebron hasn't really impressed me by his D, he was much better last season. This year he has been noticably lazy on D. We will see if he turns it up in the playoffs.

PJR
04-18-2013, 06:05 PM
No he's not. Got some good disposition on that end, but the best? Reaching.

Electric Slide
Yea ok, Lebron shut down Carmelo this season, that's why Knicks blew out the Heat 3 times. :oldlol: And Lebron didn't even play last time, not to mention Battier was the one guarding Melo last year most of the time.

I have watched more Heat, Bulls games than you, I actually know wtf I am talking about. You sound like some idiot who listens to ESPN all day and throws out the usualy garbage like "Lebron can guard all positions", "Lebron shut down Rose/Melo", "Lebron limited God himself".
I was talking about the game where the Heat rallied back and won. It was in March and on ABC, kiddo.

So far you have backed up literally nothing with what you said. You mind as well just write posts saying "I hate Lebron james, I can't admit he is great."

Every single time Lebron has guarded Melo. Melo has been locked down. The 2nd half of the game in March is just the best example of it.

What examples do you have of Butler playing good defense? You mean against the Knicks where Carmelo Anthony had like 5+ offensive rebounds because Butler isn't strong enough to box him out? Too bad Lebron is and he did do that.

Graviton
:roll: :roll: :roll:
When did that happen? When they were getting blown out time after time?
This kid sounds like some teenager on Lebron's nuts, Pauk 2.0 without the logical arguments or essays but instead some blanket statements without any actual facts or evidence. :roll:

bluechox2
04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
i have to agree, butler has given melo the most problems this season

melo/jr burned allen, , jr's burned bradley,

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
I was talking about the game where the Heat rallied back and won. It was in March and on ABC, kiddo.

So far you have backed up literally nothing with what you said. You mind as well just write posts saying "I hate Lebron james, I can't admit he is great."

Every single time Lebron has guarded Melo. Melo has been locked down. The 2nd half of the game in March is just the best example of it.

What examples do you have of Butler playing good defense? You mean against the Knicks where Carmelo Anthony had like 5+ offensive rebounds because Butler isn't strong enough to box him out? Too bad Lebron is and he did do that.

You should try getting Lebron's nuts out of your mouth and watching some other players, maybe then you would understand.

You obviously haven't been around here long enough to know I like Lebron and never discredit him, but you are too big of a retarded fanboy to realize that.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 06:08 PM
When he actually tries maybe, but THIS season Lebron hasn't really impressed me by his D, he was much better last season. This year he has been noticably lazy on D. We will see if he turns it up in the playoffs.
this is based on what, the two games you watched him play? too bad defense goes beyond man to man defense but even then lebron is still the best at it.

lebron is the best at just about every aspect of the game, honestly.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:08 PM
i have to agree, butler has given melo the most problems this season

melo/jr burned allen, , jr's burned bradley,
Melo scored against Butler in the post couple times, but overall he guarded him much better than Deng.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/4/4063102/lebron-james-defense-carmelo-anthony-heat-knicks

Anthony torched the Heat in the first half, scoring 24 points on just eight shots while being guarded by Udonis Haslem. In the second half, James switched onto Anthony and held him to just eight points the rest of the way. Two of those points came in transition, and four came when Shane Battier guarded Anthony on a switch. The other two points came on free throws. Essentially: Anthony barely scored when James guarded him in the second half.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-loses-star-war-king-james-article-1.1278572

But he came up short when it mattered most, scoring just four points on four shots in the fourth quarter. And the fact that he struggled against the defense of LeBron James seemed to magnify his failings.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
No he's not. Got some good disposition on that end, but the best? Reaching.
Meant this regular season, or at least post-all star break. Obviously Lebron that actually gives a shit is better overall, but you as a Heat fan would agree that he has been lazy this season on D and was better last year.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Meant this regular season, or at least post-all star break. Obviously Lebron that actually gives a shit is better overall, but you as a Heat fan would agree that he has been lazy this season on D and was better last year.
except he hasn't been lazy. It's not my fault that you can't seem to grasp the concept that defense goes beyond on-ball defense and that it is about help defense, forcing turnovers, and what not.

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
The only thing I see is that the OP is listing some no name player in Jimmy Butler that nobody cares about and watches, so nobody can dispute him. OP just wants to discredit Lebron because everyone knows he is the best perimeter defender in teh game but since people watch him and have obvious bias towards he knows he can get away with saying bullshit like he has all thread long.

I see what you're doing but I think the op is doing that. Jimmy Butler is actually a good defender and if he keep up the level of play he will be a star in the nba.

Graviton
this is based on what, the two games you watched him play? too bad defense goes beyond man to man defense but even then lebron is still the best at it.

lebron is the best at just about every aspect of the game, honestly.
Yea I will just leave you to your nutriding. :oldlol:

SamuraiSWISH
Best perimeter defender? Riiiight. :oldlol:

GrapeApe
I remember when I watched the Heat/Bulls streak breaker game I was saying to myself "Butler is a defensive beast". I think he's got some decent offensive potential too. I like his game.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I see what you're doing but I think the op is doing that. Jimmy Butler is actually a good defender and if he keep up the level of play he will be a star in the nba.
He is a good defender...but best? LOL get the **** out of here with that.

Paul George, Andre Iguodala, Lebron James are all better if you count versatility and effectiveness.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Maybe I should have said "Best perimeter defender post all star break based on regular season performance".

I didn't actually mean the best overall defender, but when people mention Bradley, Iggy as the best perimeter defenders, Butler's name should be up there too. Talking about man-to-man D mostly.

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
He is a good defender...but best? LOL get the **** out of here with that.

Paul George, Andre Iguodala, Lebron James are all better if you count versatility and effectiveness.

I don't believe he is the best neither do I believe Lebron is the best. Butler is a great defender. Lebron is too when he wants to be. Like Op said Lebron comes off lazy at times. There's a lot of great defenders like George and Iggy also so it's hard to say Butler is the best. I can tell the Op really likes Butler so he might be a little bias

PJR
04-18-2013, 06:20 PM
When it comes to on ball defense, Avery Bradley is pretty easily the best I've seen this year, of the so called 'defensive specialist', at their respective posistions. Dude is a pitbull, he fights over the top of screens, and recovers extremely well.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Found a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPxUErecR4k

If anyone watched the last Heat/Bulls and Knicks/Bulls games this season, you will realize what I am talking about.

kurple
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
iggy defends better than Jimmy

at this stage of their careers

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
When it comes to on ball defense, Avery Bradley is pretty easily the best I've seen this year, of the so called 'defensive specialist', at their respective posistions. Dude is a pitbull, he fights over the top of screens, and recovers extremely well.

This. Bradley is a pest when it comes to on ball D. He will make your pg give up the ball quick.

Rubio2Gasol
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
A worrying trend in basketball is how quickly an underrated player can transition to being overrated.

Element
04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Lmao for real

Even 80 year old Kobe was a better man defender when he gave a shvt. Let alone Iggy, Bradley or George.

Iggy/George>>>>>>>Butler. In every single facet of defense.

I like Jimmy and he's a great talent and has played like an elite defensive player for stretches but this kid has gotten overrated. Seems like every team has their own overrated defensive minded young player. Here's the all overrated team:

PG - Norris "Big 4" Cole
SG - Avery "Michael Jordan with defense" Bradley
SF - Iman "50 ppg" Shumpert
PF - Jimmy "Pippen but better" Butler
C - Earl "The Pearl" Clark

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Lmao for real

Even 80 year old Kobe was a better man defender when he gave a shvt. Let alone Iggy, Bradley or George.

Iggy/George>>>>>>>Butler. In every single facet of defense.

I like Jimmy and he's a great talent and has played like an elite defensive player for stretches but this kid has gotten overrated. Seems like every team has their own overrated defensive minded young player. Here's the all overrated team:

PG - Norris "Big 4" Cole
SG - Avery "Michael Jordan with defense" Bradley
SF - Iman "50 ppg" Shumpert
PF - Jimmy "Pippen but better" Butler
C - Earl "The Pearl" Clark

:roll: :applause:

Snoop_Cat
04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
For a guy as big and strong as he is, LeBron can't guard big guys to save his life. Why do people say he can guard the 1-5 spots? He is bigger than most of the guys who play the PF position these days yet he hates guarding them and relegates Shane freaking Battier to guard opposing 4's.

Electric Slide
04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
For a guy as big and strong as he is, LeBron can't guard big guys to save his life. Why do people say he can guard the 1-5 spots? He is bigger than most of the guys who play the PF position these days yet he hates guarding them and relegates Shane freaking Battier to guard opposing 4's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3O94yv4vc

Psycho
04-18-2013, 10:02 PM

Pau's white, he don't count

TheAesirsFinest
04-18-2013, 10:03 PM

I hate that this is used as an argument so often. Guarding a player for stretches at a time doesn't mean they can truly guard them in the sense of a full game. Fronting is negated if you have a well coached team and a PG that can toss entry passes...i.e. LeBron can't guard Gasol. Too skilled, too long, and too tall.

G-train
04-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Is he the best perimeter defender on his team?

VIntageNOvel
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Pauk now is using Celtic avatar :biggums:

TheReal Kendall
04-18-2013, 10:45 PM
I hate that this is used as an argument so often. Guarding a player for stretches at a time doesn't mean they can truly guard them in the sense of a full game. Fronting is negated if you have a well coached team and a PG that can toss entry passes...i.e. LeBron can't guard Gasol. Too skilled, too long, and too tall.

:applause:

97 bulls
04-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Found a video...

If anyone watched the last Heat/Bulls and Knicks/Bulls games this season, you will realize what I am talking about.
I agree. Butler is one of the best man defenders in the league. Its gonna take another season or two for him to gain the recognition he deserves. I do feel he deserves an alldefense selection.

tazb
04-18-2013, 11:18 PM
:lol @ people who think LeBron gives his 100% on defense in the regular season. Ask Mr. Rose what happened in 2011.

Graviton
04-18-2013, 11:23 PM
:lol @ people who think LeBron gives his 100% on defense in the regular season. Ask Mr. Rose what happened in 2011.
Or ask Jason Terry, Dirk and Marion what happened in 2011. :oldlol:

97 bulls
04-18-2013, 11:40 PM
On of the biggest myths is this notion that Lebron James shut down Derrick Rose in 11. The Heat as a team did an excellent job of trapping Rose on the Pick and Rolls. The rest of the Bulls did a horrible job of making them pay.

Twiens
04-18-2013, 11:42 PM
.....Lets ask Rafer Alston :oldlol:

hitmanyr2k
04-19-2013, 12:47 AM
Or ask Jason Terry, Dirk and Marion what happened in 2011. :oldlol:

:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cbt2UXgB2M

(e)
04-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Won't get any artuement here on Jimmy, although I do think its a little premature to call him the best in the league. He's easily one of the best defenders in the league, and is a ton of fun to watch. Hope he blows up in the Playoffs, he has a great opportunity to.

Iceberg Slim
05-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I think I can agree to make it a tie between Butler and Bradley.

The argument that Bradley is too small and can only guard worthless pointguards doesn't make sense.

He puts so much pressure on the PG that it effects the whoel team. IT takes longer for the opposing team to get into their set as Bradley is making the PG work every second.

But yes Butler is awesome and gets stronger the more minutes he gets. I believe he just played 48 minutes in game 6 and 7:applause:

nightprowler10
05-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Jimmy is awesome but I'd stop short of calling him the best. Let's see what he does in round 2 first.

Heavincent
05-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I still think Thabo is.

ReturnofJPR
05-05-2013, 12:40 PM
That's why we (Bulls & Bull fans) love playing the cHEAT.

Butler & Deng can take care of Wade & LeBron, no problem.

Noah > Bosh

Give us MVP Rose and it is game over!

NBASTATMAN
05-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I think Shumpert is making a case for the best on the ball defender.. Allen from Memphis is also one of the best.. Bradley is good but I am not sure he can defend the bigger guards as well as Shumpert and Allen..

NBASTATMAN
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
On of the biggest myths is this notion that Lebron James shut down Derrick Rose in 11. The Heat as a team did an excellent job of trapping Rose on the Pick and Rolls. The rest of the Bulls did a horrible job of making them pay.

No single player can guard Rose.. Lebron had a lot of help slowing Rose down..

Graviton
05-06-2013, 08:41 PM
So yall see the light?

Butler has guarded Lebron better than anyone I have seen this season. Those other perimeter defenders like Thabo, Bradley, Shumpert don't have his size and strength to guard 3s well. Butler is holding his own against freaking Lebron. Those other guys couldn't even cover him effectively for a quarter. :oldlol:

Solefade
05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Which player can guard D. Rose and KD?

There's your answer

imdaman99
05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
if he can keep this up all series and lock him up than i am on board :bowdown:

altho id like to see shump have his turn on un-unanimous mvp. hope we get to see it...

Graviton
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Lebron looking at the refs for help, Butler in his grill every time, can't blow by him without a screen. And when he finally does he doesn't have any energy left to finish.

Butler Pippen, we are not worthy. :bowdown:

Graviton
05-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Which player can guard D. Rose and KD?

There's your answer
Lebron? Yea he sure guarded Durant for 31PPG on 55%. :bowdown:

And yea he can guard Rose, but he can't guard Nate "The Goat" Robinson that's for sure, he was so scared he let Ray Allen guard him and that cost them the game. :oldlol:

nathanjizzle
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
butler is definitely the defender he is made out to be. i waited last year for him to prove is defense againt lebron but that obviously did not pan out. now this year we have the chance and he has proven himself.

dude even gaurded d wade in crunch time and made him miss.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Too bad he will be traded to the lakers for gasol

Graviton
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Another day, another game where Butler made Lebron look average. James shot 44% for the series and looked frustrated every time Butler guarded him 1 on 1.

Lebron probably had his least impressive playoff series since 2011, 23/8/7 on 44% and almost 4 turnovers a game.

Is there any doubt Butler is best Lebron defender in the league? :applause:

tikay0
05-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Another day, another game where Butler made Lebron look average. James shot 44% for the series and looked frustrated every time Butler guarded him 1 on 1.

Lebron probably had his least impressive playoff series since 2011, 23/8/7 on 44% and almost 4 turnovers a game.

Is there any doubt Butler is best Lebron defender in the league? :applause:

No doubts whatsoever. :bowdown:

inclinerator
05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
is butler the best perimeter defender in the last 10 years?

Graviton
05-15-2013, 09:59 PM
is butler the best perimeter defender in the last 10 years?
Best perimeter defender since Pippen. :bowdown:

Can lock down any superstar 1-4.

ILLsmak
05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Great to see him succeeding.

trade Deng and Boozer. Undookie da Bulls.

-Smak

NBASTATMAN
05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Butler is a good defender but Lebron is just not that great of a scorer when he has to go against a guy his size and a team willing to bang him up.. His numbers are usually better because he creates so many fast break opps for himself.. But his one on one skills are not above average.. He will have problems against any team with a big waiting to challenge his shots down low...

inclinerator
05-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Best perimeter defender since Pippen. :bowdown:

Can lock down any superstar 1-4.
how did he do against kobe this season, i havent seen someone play the new lebron as good as he does

K Xerxes
05-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Seriously hope to god we never see ****ing Deng guarding LeBron again. That's an easy 30 points for him. Butler is a monster defender against LeBron. Too fast too drive past and too strong to post up against.

ILLsmak
05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Butler is a good defender but Lebron is just not that great of a scorer when he has to go against a guy his size and a team willing to bang him up.. His numbers are usually better because he creates so many fast break opps for himself.. But his one on one skills are not above average.. He will have problems against any team with a big waiting to challenge his shots down low...

I disagree with that, but I do feel he doesn't want to shoot a bad percentage. And if he's missing, he won't shoot as much.

Butler played well. they forced him left a lot. If not for Boozer's idiotic D, their schemes would be much better. They don't really have "bigs waiting to stop him" btw. It was Noah and he was nearly always pulled out of the paint. Nobody is afraid of Boozer.

-Smak

hitmanyr2k
05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
how did he do against kobe this season, i havent seen someone play the new lebron as good as he does

Played Kobe damn good as well. Kobe couldn't shake him.

Graviton
05-15-2013, 10:08 PM

Butler shut down Kobe too. :bowdown:

albas89
05-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Butler shut down Kobe too. :bowdown:

wow, this guy's a defensive phenom... I haven't seen anyone guard Lebron so well in a long, long time! for real, he must be the best perimeter defender in the league right now...

Kingwillball
05-15-2013, 10:19 PM
wow, this guy's a defensive phenom... I haven't seen anyone guard Lebron so well in a long, long time! for real, he must be the best perimeter defender in the league right now...

I agree Butler is Good but Lebron was on and Off Aggressive as well making it easier for Butler. With that said If Lebron plays alot better(scoring) next round round than I would have to say it was alot more to do with Butler than Himself.

Geriatric
05-15-2013, 10:24 PM
This may be old news to everyone else but it's the first time I've heard of Jimmy's unique experience growing up. Similar to the Blindside story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sv37MqRLCk

It's hard not to root for a guy like this. Seems extremely grateful for where he is and to those who helped him along the way. I was a fan before but this just makes me realize how special this young man is.

Ken_Masters
05-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Honestly, the OP is not lying. I've never seen anyone go off on Butler. He basically holds anyone he's guarding, relatively in check, even the superstars like LeBron and Kobe. Butler doesn't strike me as being supremely athletic to stay in front of these guys, but for some reason, nobody can get around him nor can they get clean looks. I haven't seen LeBron shoot this poorly since his Cleveland days. Avery Bradley got lit up by Raymond Felton. Shumpert is good, but i've seen star players put up good numbers against him. The only other guy who routinely holds star players relatively in check is Tony Allen. Because Butler has more size, i think the OP is absolutely right in his assessment.

Ancient Legend
05-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Butler doesn't strike me as being supremely athletic to stay in front of these guys, but for some reason, nobody can get around him nor can they get clean looks.

It's called discipline and he reeks of it. He doesn't bite on any fakes and anticipates every move so you can't beat him with speed.

I still think Tony Allen is slightly better than him on the perimeter.

Ken_Masters
05-15-2013, 10:30 PM
It's called discipline and he reeks of it. He doesn't bite on any fakes and anticipates every move so you can't beat him with speed.

I still think Tony Allen is slightly better than him on the perimeter.

I would agree it's between either him or Tony Allen because neither guy lets anyone get around them or get clean looks. Because Butler has more size, i might have to give him the nod. But you can't go wrong with either guy.

Graviton
05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Honestly, the OP is not lying. I've never seen anyone go off on Butler. He basically holds anyone he's guarding, relatively in check, even the superstars like LeBron and Kobe. Butler doesn't strike me as being supremely athletic to stay in front of these guys, but for some reason, nobody can get around him nor can they get clean looks. I haven't seen LeBron shoot this poorly since his Cleveland days. Avery Bradley got lit up by Raymond Felton. Shumpert is good, but i've seen star players put up good numbers against him. The only other guy who routinely holds star players relatively in check is Tony Allen. Because Butler has more size, i think the OP is absolutely right in his assessment.
Honestly Allen is kinda overrated, Paul always went off against him. Tony is also too small and honestly gets away with lot of reach in fouls because of his reputation and aggressiveness.

But Butler plays ELITE clean defense, stays in front of anyone and contests EVERYTHING without making contact or reaching in. Watching him against Lebron and Kobe was a treat, like an unstoppable force meeting a immovable object. He doesn't even need to foul, refs called some bullshit reach ins on him when he didn't even touch the ball or the player but tried to make them uncomfortable.

Ancient Legend
05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I would agree it's between either him or Tony Allen because neither guy lets anyone get around them or get clean looks. Because Butler has more size, i might have to give him the nod. But you can't go wrong with either guy.

He's like a robot with his opponents offensive patterns programmed into him. You move left, he's there at the same time. Pump fake and he knows right away to stay down. Go full speed and he backs off at the same time without touching you.

Kingwillball
05-15-2013, 10:38 PM

YEah but I counted at least 5 times this series that Lebron Blew right by him to the Rim.. HE is a good defender and so is Allen but they both have GReat defensive Centers behind them at the rim which makes them look better. Neither Guy could consistently stop Lebron getting to the Rim without good help Defense.

Graviton
05-15-2013, 10:42 PM
YEah but I counted at least 5 times this series that Lebron Blew right by him to the Rim.. HE is a good defender and so is Allen but they both have GReat defensive Centers behind them at the rim which makes them look better. Neither Guy could consistently stop Lebron getting to the Rim without good help Defense.
Are you blind? What series were you watching? Noah barely was in the post, Lebron had to meet Boozer when got past Butler. :oldlol:

And Lebron still got locked in place more often than blew past Butler, reason why he shot so poorly with Butler guarding him. If you removed his fastbreak points and open dunks on top of the points he scored on other players, Lebron shot horribly when Butler covered him.

Ken_Masters
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Honestly Allen is kinda overrated, Paul always went off against him. Tony is also too small and honestly gets away with lot of reach in fouls because of his reputation and aggressiveness.

But Butler plays ELITE clean defense, stays in front of anyone and contests EVERYTHING without making contact or reaching in. Watching him against Lebron and Kobe was a treat, like an unstoppable force meeting a immovable object. He doesn't even need to foul, refs called some bullshit reach ins on him when he didn't even touch the ball or the player but tried to make them uncomfortable.

All good points. I didn't realize Chris Paul lit up Allen like Felton lit up Bradley. Allen is also prone to bite on pump fakes.

Ken_Masters
05-15-2013, 10:48 PM

I did count one particular time when LeBron gave Butler a hesitation, and blew past him going left, got fouled at the rim for the and one. That was a great play by LeBron. You have to give him credit for blowing past Butler on that one.

Graviton
05-15-2013, 10:50 PM
All good points. I didn't realize Chris Paul lit up Allen like Felton lit up Bradley. Allen is also prone to bite on pump fakes.
Allen is too aggressive, he gets too reach in happy a lot, like a wild pitbull.

Butler is like a big strong rottweiler, disciplined and fundamental, he does everything by the book and never does anything stupid. He is better than Allen thanks to that and his size/height.

Graviton
05-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I agree Butler is Good but Lebron was on and Off Aggressive as well making it easier for Butler. With that said If Lebron plays alot better(scoring) next round round than I would have to say it was alot more to do with Butler than Himself.
Lebron averaging 33/9/6 on 59% against Pacers. Against All D 2nd team Paul George and great anchor in Hibbert. And Pacers were supposed to be the best defensive team in the league, but we see who the master of defense is. Thibs da gawd and Jimmy/Noah. :bowdown:

pauk
05-26-2013, 11:17 PM

1. Lebron cant guard all positions? Since when?
2. No, Butler cant guard 3 positions better than Lebron can guard 5, Butler doesnt even guard PGs or PFs anyways, he is a strict SF defender that can defend SG aswell, the only time you will see him on a PG/PF/C is by getting screened out to that scenario.
3. What are you Ripthekik's alt? (two can play that ignorant game)
4. No, Jimmy Butler is not the best perimeter defender in NBA, Tony Allen is.... Butler is better guarding SFs though...

Graviton
05-26-2013, 11:41 PM
1. Lebron cant guard all positions? Since when?
2. No, Butler cant guard 3 positions better than Lebron can guard 5, Butler doesnt even guard PGs or PFs anyways, he is a strict SF defender that can defend SG aswell, the only time you will see him on a PG/PF/C is by getting screened out to that scenario.
3. What are you Ripthekik's alt? (two can play that ignorant game)
4. No, Jimmy Butler is not the best perimeter defender in NBA, Tony Allen is.... Butler is better guarding SFs though...

1) Guarding 5 positions doesn't mean you will be good at it, Nate Robinson CAN guard 5 positions, but he will get killed. Lebron's man-to-man defense was never elite to be able to guard 5 positions effectively, his specialty is 1-3.

2) Butler actually can guard PGs, he is quick and disciplined enough to cover them. I seen him do it. But Bulls already have an amazing defender at PG in Hinrich, so they use him to cover the best SG/SF on the opposing team. And Lebron is a strictly SG/SF defender that only switches on PF/PG on a screen or couple possessions. :oldlol:

3) No, I am Jabbar's alt.

4) Based on what exactly? Your limited knowledge and cliche repetitions of the media heads? Have you actually watched Allen extensively compared to other perimeter defenders? I actually watch most games of top teams and pay attention to defense the most.

Allen is too aggressive and drives on pressure, often picking up pointless reach in fouls and overplaying his man. "Best perimeter defender" doesn't get buttraped by Chris Paul so much, watch Westbrook/Thabo play defense on CP3 and tell me Allen is the best. :oldlol:

He is too smal lto guard SG/SF, and not really that affective vs elite PGs. He is not gonna lockdown any superstar.

Butler actually limited Lebron(most unstoppable player in the league that is currently demolishing All D 2nd team Paul George and the whole Pacers defense thats supposed to be the best) better than ANYONE I have seen since Lebron has been in the league. James had trouble driving against Butler either left or right, his jumper was always contested and Jimmy was basically his shadow for the whole series.

Lebron shot 44% that series, but if you remove his wideopen fastbreak points, FGs scored on other players, he probably shot under 40% with Butler covering him. That's an astounding achievement.