PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Considering Zeljko Obradovic as their New Head Coach

mrbigshot1
04-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Do you guys think he could succeed in the NBA?

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/4/22/4252620/nba-rumors-zeljko-obradovic-pistons-coach

Shade8780
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Who? :biggums:

daj0264
04-22-2013, 04:38 PM

IncarceratedBob
04-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Who?:coleman:

InspiredLebowski
04-22-2013, 04:45 PM
He's a great coach. Not sure about the cultural fit though, that's the biggest question for any of the great European coaches.

Rake2204
04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
In other big Pistons news, they acquired the Clippers' second round pick this year thanks to the great Alex Acker trade of '08. It was top 55 protected though, so they didn't get that pick until now (56th overall).

9erempiree
04-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to having more European coaches. There players may not be as good as NBA players but their coaches emphasize fundamentals in which I like to see.

midatlantic09
04-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Does this coach speak English?

Rake2204
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
He's a great coach. Not sure about the cultural fit though, that's the biggest question for any of the great European coaches.In all honesty, that's my first question too. From what I've heard over the years, a lot of NBA players suck at being coachable. I could see some players loving to play for a guy who knows the game so well. Unfortunately, I could see others who wouldn't be able to get past his accent (if he has one).

InspiredLebowski
04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Does this coach speak English?pretty heavily accented (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4v1VPO8Us). but that video's a few years old, maybe he's improved. I'm sure he'd be fine in practice, but during a game in the heat of the moment, talking over the crowd and arena noise?

Fiba basketball
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
He is the kind of coach who demands respect , he wouldn't have problem with benching star player if they are playing bad or aren't listening to him . Question is how would player react to that .

Fiba basketball
04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
pretty heavily accented (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4v1VPO8Us). but that video's a few years old, maybe he's improved. I'm sure he'd be fine in practice, but during a game in the heat of the moment, talking over the crowd and arena noise?
He coached a lot of USA players and they didn't have any problems . Noise European fans make is louder than noise NBA fans make so that should't be a problem .

Andrew Wiggins
04-22-2013, 05:29 PM
He is the kind of coach who demands respect , he wouldn't have problem with benching star player if they are playing bad or aren't listening to him . Question is how would player react to that .

well, good thing he won't have to worry about that then since the pistons have no star players

Fiba basketball
04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
well, good thing he won't have to worry about that then since the pistons have no star players
I know thats why I think it's a good team for him . Imagine if he coached Kobe , he would be fired after one game because he wouldn't allow him to take as much shots .

ZenMaster
04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
pretty heavily accented (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4v1VPO8Us). but that video's a few years old, maybe he's improved. I'm sure he'd be fine in practice, but during a game in the heat of the moment, talking over the crowd and arena noise?

His english is OK now, I saw a clinic of him showing pickn'roll which I believe is pretty new and his english was not a problem.

embersyc
04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
:facepalm

ZenMaster
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
:facepalm

Why the facepalm? Obradovic is one of the finest coaches the world has ever seen.

Euroleague
04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I demand an apology from that a-hole mod Real Men Wear Green for this.

I reported this here in this site FOURTEEN DAYS AGO. And that mod ruined the thread and claimed I lied about it.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295556

Euroleague
04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Does this coach speak English?

Every coach in Europe is required to be able to speak English.
Don't be ignorant.

Fiba basketball
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Don't be ignorant. Not every , Vujosevic doesn't speak English .

USABall
04-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Don't be ignorant.

Is every referee required to speak English in Europe?

Euroleague
04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Not every , Vujosevic doesn't speak English .

He's the only one and he was fired because of it by CSKA. He also can't work outside of Serbia in this day and age due to that. Although, he could work in Spain if he speaks Spanish.

Euroleague
04-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Is every referee required to speak English in Europe?

I'm not sure they are if they don't ref outside of their own country. But the ones that ref internationally have to know English.

Anyway, usually the refs all seem to know English, as they are always talking in English to the American players and seem to have no problem communicating with them.

Definitely, the guys that are reffing Euroleague are speaking in English.

bd#1pguard
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Why the facepalm? Obradovic is one of the finest coaches the world has ever seen.

F uck that cetnik piece of S hit`

alexd
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM

are you serious?he s one of the best coaches in europe.he s similar to pop.he demands respect.but i don t know if he ll go to the nba cause whenever they asked him about it he used to laugh because they don t play real basketball(in terms of travelling etc etc which is kinda true)he s aggresive and gets on players faces exactly like pop.he s serbian,and if you don t know serbians are a great basketball school.it was an honor meeting him twice in some tournaments and practices cause we had some time to talk and he s a very wise guy.panathinaikos loved him

Euroleague
04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
are you serious?he s one of the best coaches in europe.he s similar to pop.he demands respect.but i don t know if he ll go to the nba cause whenever they asked him about it he used to laugh because they don t play real basketball(in terms of travelling etc etc which is kinda true)he s aggresive and gets on players faces exactly like pop.he s serbian,and if you don t know serbians are a great basketball school.it was an honor meeting him twice in some tournaments and practices cause we had some time to talk and he s a very wise guy.panathinaikos loved him

Unfortunately, very few of the posters here seem to know any basketball outside of NBA.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Will be interesting to see in the coming years how well European coaches do in comparison to college coaches who have mostly been huge failures.

Qwertyazerty
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I think he could really help the pistons. There is no doubt he has the winner gen and a true knowledge of team basketball.

Clutch
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
F uck that cetnik piece of S hit`
:roll: :roll: :roll:

treadster
04-23-2013, 10:45 AM
i don't care what record he have in europe, if he doesn't make the pistons better, then he is a bad coach.

or at least make sure the players live up to their potential

Lebron23
04-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I love to see some European or foreign coaches in the NBA.

Qwertyazerty
04-23-2013, 10:58 AM

I think exchanges can only help improve basketball in both sides of the Atlantic.

Partizan
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
http://www.pistonpowered.com/2013/04/nate-mcmillan-front-runner-to-become-pistons-next-coach/

McMillan seems to be the favorite...

It didn't seem plausible for Zeljko to become the head coach, NBA teams want european coaches to work as assistants for a couple of years, and he doesn't have the time or need for that...

Someone probably made this up because he was a guest there last summer...

embersyc
04-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Look I'm sure he is a great coach, but since we have had three 'gimmick' picks for coaches in a row and none of them have worked, the Pistons need to hire an established NBA coach.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Look I'm sure he is a great coach, but since we have had three 'gimmick' picks for coaches in a row and none of them have worked, the Pistons need to hire an established NBA coach.

Frank was established.

jzek
04-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Same. Hope it happens.

BoutPractice
04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't call it a 'gimmick'. Obradovic is one of the greatest coaches in the world. He has a solid case as the second best active coach after Popovich.

But if he gets the job, which I doubt, he will be in for quite a culture shock.
Obradovic is a notoriously intense dude. He spends most of the game looking and acting comically angry at everything and everyone (I can only imagine how many technicals he'd have per game in the NBA), including his own players, many of whom are superstars in Europe.

NBA players don't like being pushed around - they're used to being treated like little princesses, especially in the AAU + 1 and done era. Obradovic won't put up with the lack of fundamentals, lazy defense and prima donna attitude that so many NBA players get away with due to their skills or status. It'll easy for him to be hated by his players, so if he doesn't get instant results, they'll complain and throw him out the first chance they get.

embersyc
04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Frank was established.

Frank coached in New Jersey, but he had Jason Kidd so in my opinion it doesn't count, a monkey could've coached that team. His teams were terrible once Kidd left.

Burgz V2
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
he was a player of one of the greatest amateur teams every assembled, the 1990 Yugoslavian National Team. They played beautiful basketball because they all played hard and trained even harder.

Not sure if his coaching style will suit the NBA though. Players might tune him out. Give him a young roster and he might work.

Fiba basketball
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
he was the coach of one of the greatest amateur teams every assembled, the 1990 Yugoslavian National Team. They played beautiful basketball because they all played hard and trained even harder.

Not sure if his coaching style will suit the NBA though. Players might tune him out. Give him a young roster and he might work.

What ???

Coach of that team was Dusan Ivkovic ( In my oppinion best European coach ever , he was offered to coach some NBA team around 10 years ago but he rejected ) and Obradovic ( who became a coach in 1992 and won EL the same season ) was a player on that team .

Calling Yugolsavian NT an amateur team ??? Players like Petrovic , Kukoc , Divac and many othere great players played for that team .

Burgz V2
04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
What ???

Coach of that team was Dusan Ivkovic ( In my oppinion best European coach ever , he was offered to coach some NBA team around 10 years ago but he rejected ) and Obradovic ( who became a coach in 1992 and won EL the same season ) was a player on that team .

lol my bad Freudian slip, I meant to say he was a PLAYER on that team.

duskovujosevic
04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
zeljko is a living legend, future Hall of Famer. Similiar to Greg Popovic. Strong personallity, demands respect, defense oriented coach.

bagelred
04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
In Serbia, they call Phil Jackson the Zeljko Obradovic of America.

duskovujosevic
04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
He's the only one and he was fired because of it by CSKA. He also can't work outside of Serbia in this day and age due to that. Although, he could work in Spain if he speaks Spanish.

He was fired due to unlucky things happened there. Lots of injuries, misunderstanding between owners and so. he is to one who brought up shved to public scene. he wanted to rebuild CSKA, governing body wanted results right now. in summer of 2010 he defeated Cavaliers.

He worked in Italia, and he is fluent in Italian

duskovujosevic
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQJR61zktAc

damn he is good

Da KO King
04-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Not sure how it would work out but he is a REALLY good coach.

kNIOKAS
04-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I would love to see this tested out... I think it could be hit and make. Woohoo!!! Dumars get it done.

dd24
04-23-2013, 05:42 PM
I think McMillan seems like a guy who would really fit into Detroit well. It is interesting thinking about how the best coach overseas would do in the NBA. I'm not incredibly familiar with his style, but if he's as intense as everyone says he is I just don't see how that could work in the NBA. These players make far more money than the coaches and have huge egos. They usually don't respond well to being yelled at all the time.

DeuceWallaces
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Frank coached in New Jersey, but he had Jason Kidd so in my opinion it doesn't count, a monkey could've coached that team. His teams were terrible once Kidd left.

Sure, why not? I mean if we're not gonna get Jeff or Stan Van then who cares? It would either be a brilliant move for a young team with another lottery pick being added or it would be the official end of the Dumars era. :confusedshrug:

http://www.eurohoops.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/DSC03495.jpg

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't call it a 'gimmick'. Obradovic is one of the greatest coaches in the world. He has a solid case as the second best active coach after Popovich.

But if he gets the job, which I doubt, he will be in for quite a culture shock.
Obradovic is a notoriously intense dude. He spends most of the game looking and acting comically angry at everything and everyone (I can only imagine how many technicals he'd have per game in the NBA), including his own players, many of whom are superstars in Europe.

NBA players don't like being pushed around - they're used to being treated like little princesses, especially in the AAU + 1 and done era. Obradovic won't put up with the lack of fundamentals, lazy defense and prima donna attitude that so many NBA players get away with due to their skills or status. It'll easy for him to be hated by his players, so if he doesn't get instant results, they'll complain and throw him out the first chance they get.

Obradovic is one hardcore coach. The only coaches I can think of that are more hardcore in Europe are Ivanovic and Tabak - but that might have been more due to the President of Baskonia (who is notoriously known as a nut).

Obradovic is definitely not a nice guy. He will trash ANYONE and everyone he can in the media, if he feels even the slightest bit pissed at them.

He would obviously have to tone his behavior down by several levels if he wanted to work in the NBA.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 08:19 PM
he was a player of one of the greatest amateur teams every assembled, the 1990 Yugoslavian National Team. They played beautiful basketball because they all played hard and trained even harder.

None of those were "amateur" players. Most of them made HUGE amounts of money. Besides, FIBA was officially fully pro by 1989.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 08:19 PM
He was fired due to unlucky things happened there. Lots of injuries, misunderstanding between owners and so. he is to one who brought up shved to public scene. he wanted to rebuild CSKA, governing body wanted results right now. in summer of 2010 he defeated Cavaliers.

He worked in Italia, and he is fluent in Italian

He was fired because he could not speak English.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I think McMillan seems like a guy who would really fit into Detroit well. It is interesting thinking about how the best coach overseas would do in the NBA. I'm not incredibly familiar with his style, but if he's as intense as everyone says he is I just don't see how that could work in the NBA. These players make far more money than the coaches and have huge egos. They usually don't respond well to being yelled at all the time.

Obradovic isn't the best coach overseas. He's not even the best coach in Europe.

Andrew Wiggins
04-23-2013, 08:25 PM
He was fired because he could not speak English.

liar

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 08:26 PM
liar

Ignore list.

dd24
04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Obradovic isn't the best coach overseas. He's not even the best coach in Europe.

Then he has no business coaching a NBA team. For everyone calling him the European eqivilent of Phil Jackson or Pop, that would be way off then.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Then he has no business coaching a NBA team. For everyone calling him the European eqivilent of Phil Jackson or Pop, that would be way off then.

He's NOT the best coach in Europe.

He WOULD be the best coach in the NBA, the second the Pistons hired him.

Pretty obvious that you are a typical 100% NBA only fan.

Andrew Wiggins
04-23-2013, 08:52 PM

whos the best coach in europe?

dd24
04-23-2013, 09:05 PM

No, I've seen plenty of your posts and know that you're full of it. It's hilarious that you say stupid things like he's not the best coach in Europe but would be in the NBA.... just like you think all of those people in the Euroleague are so much better at basketball. You clearly don't watch the game of basketball. After your assesment of his coaching I really hope the Pistons don't hire him.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 09:07 PM
No, I've seen plenty of your posts and know that you're full of it. It's hilarious that you say stupid things like he's not the best coach in Europe but would be in the NBA.... just like you think all of those people in the Euroleague are so much better at basketball. You clearly don't watch the game of basketball. After your assesment of his coaching I really hope the Pistons don't hire him.

Stop trolling. You look like a clown to anyone with actual basketball knowledge.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
whos the best coach in europe?

Dusan Ivkovic is the best coach in Europe.

The second best coach in Europe is Svetislav Pesic.

After those two, then Obradovic is in the discussion for the third best. I'm not saying he is the third best - but he is then in the discussion for the third best.

And yes, Obradovic is a better coach than Greg Popovich, or any coach that is currently working in the NBA.

Also, when I say "best coach".........I'm also allowing for resume and experience. In terms of just how good they are on the bench......there are other coaches in Europe that definitely would be in this discussion for sure, but it's probably not fair to credit them with that title, since they have not really accomplished a whole lot.

And Ettore Messina, the guy that always gets mentioned in NBA as "best coach in Europe" is hugely overrated. So is David Blatt, the other Euroleague coach that NBA is always talking and bragging about.

dd24
04-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Stop trolling. You look like a clown to anyone with actual basketball knowledge.

It's pretty easy to see what people think of your basketball knowledge. You're unstable and have serious problems.

Andrew Wiggins
04-23-2013, 09:16 PM

After those two, then Obradovic is in the discussion for the third best. I'm not saying he is the third best - but he is then in the discussion for the third best.

And yes, Obradovic is a better coach than Greg Popovich, or any coach that is currently working in the NBA.

Also, when I say "best coach".........I'm also allowing for resume and experience. In terms of just how good they are on the bench......there are other coaches in Europe that definitely would be in this discussion for sure, but it's probably not fair to credit them with that title, since they have not really accomplished a whole lot.

And Ettore Messina, the guy that always gets mentioned in NBA as "best coach in Europe" is hugely overrated. So is David Blatt, the other Euroleague coach that NBA is always talking and bragging about.

ok

but i thought i was on ignore list? :confusedshrug:

Ignore list.

Euroleague
04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
It's pretty easy to see what people think of your basketball knowledge. You're unstable and have serious problems.

ignore list.

Fiba basketball
04-24-2013, 03:57 AM

I thought you considered Bartzokas as the best coach in Europe ?

Qwertyazerty
04-24-2013, 04:13 AM

And Ettore Messina, the guy that always gets mentioned in NBA as "best coach in Europe" is hugely overrated...

Can't agree more on this. I really dislike the way this man works... he has wasted so much talent in so many teams.

Djetic
04-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Can't agree more on this. I really dislike the way this man works... he has wasted so much talent in so many teams.
Messina is overrated mostly because his titles came with teams which had stacked rosters and best players available in that moment.He has 4 Euroleague titles Obradovic have 8(with 4 different teams).Obradovic won Euroleague with Badalona(their only in history) which was equivalent of Rose-less Bulls win NBA championship this year.

Reason why Euroleague guy cant stand Obradovic is probably because he led Panathinaikos to 5 Euroleague titles and 10ish years of domination in Greece over his belowed Olympiacos.

Euroleague
04-24-2013, 06:38 AM
I thought you considered Bartzokas as the best coach in Europe ?

I thought I explained it pretty well in the post. Other coaches in Europe could be considered for this, but they don't have the resume to back it up. That's what I mean.

Bartzokas is unproven so you can't title him "best coach in Europe"........that's totally different than looking at how a team is prepared, or what sets they run, clock management, plays out of timeouts, in-game adjustments, or whatever to judge the coach.

See what I mean?

If you are going to give someone the title of best coach in Europe, which is what is being discussed here (because that's how NBA POV is framing it to Obradovic) then we have to look at just coaches that are truly proven one way or another over a long time, and in many different types of circumstances.

I mean there are some nice young coaches in Europe like Andrea Trinchieri and Chris Fleming - you could say they are doing the best at getting the max out of their teams, are coaching the best, etc.

But you could not actually place them into a discussion like this, where people are talking, "so and so is Phil Jackson of Europe", "so and so is Greg Popovich of Europe".......

That's what I mean.

Euroleague
04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Messina is overrated mostly because his titles came with teams which had stacked rosters and best players available in that moment.He has 4 Euroleague titles Obradovic have 8(with 4 different teams).Obradovic won Euroleague with Badalona(their only in history) which was equivalent of Rose-less Bulls win NBA championship this year.

Reason why Euroleague guy cant stand Obradovic is probably because he led Panathinaikos to 5 Euroleague titles and 10ish years of domination in Greece over his belowed Olympiacos.

I'm a Panathinaikos fan. Which means I have seen Obradovic working all these games for years. He's not the best coach in Europe. I have seen Obradovic get his ass handed to him for example by coaches like Vujosevic and Barztokas before, etc. Blatt out coached him just last year.

He's a great coach..........I would rank him better than any current NBA coaches, but he's not as good as most people imply. To be true, saying he's not the best European coach is probably the wrong way to put it. He's not the best SERBIAN coach. I would put him as the third best Serbian coach, after Ivkovic and Pesic.

And on this matter, let's not forget that people judge by championships too much. Messina is a good point, but so is Obradovic. The guy has had Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Spanoulis, Diamantidis, Batiste, Siskauskas, Pekovic, etc., etc. as players.

You give a coach a €30-35 million euros budget like he had there for quite awhile and top players like Siska, DD, Spanoulis...............it's not exactly an amazing feat that they won 3 Euroleague titles in 5 years.

Just like it was quite terrible that they didn't even make it past the Top 16 a couple times. Sure, they had injuries, but that should be dealt with when you have a roster that goes 15 deep like they usually had. And quite often they only won in Greece because Panathinaikos owns all the officials in Greece at every level. There would have been way less wins in Greece if the reffing was neutral.

Besides that, I look at what happened in 2010 Greek League Finals as a bit of an exposing on Obradovic. Giannakis had him countered totally on everything. Every offense, every set, everything was completely stopped and countered by the defensive schemes Giannakis came up with.

That whole series devolved into Spanoulis going one on one from the top of the key in the 4th quarter of every game. It was just very lucky for Obradovic that Spanoulis was able to get it done through one on one play and that the guys assigned to mainly guard him (Patrick Beverley and Josh Childress) could not do it.

Because if not for Spanoulis individually bailing them out in 3 straight games - Giannakis would have obliterated Obradovic in that series. And Giannakis is the same guy that is predictable as hell as a coach, just similar to like Messina.

Djetic
04-24-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm a Panathinaikos fan.
My apologies then.I assumed your mancrush Spanoulis had something to do with you being Olympiacos fan.

Euroleague
04-24-2013, 07:03 AM
My apologies then.I assumed your mancrush Spanoulis had something to do with you being Olympiacos fan.

No. I have been a fan of Spanoulis since he played with Maroussi a long time ago.

Partizan
04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Pistons aren't hiring Obradovic... Nate McMillan will be the new head coach...
No point in disscussing it...

Anyway, Obradovic, Ivkovic and Blatt could all succeed in NBA... But we will probably never see it happen...

Euroleague
04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Pistons aren't hiring Obradovic... Nate McMillan will be the new head coach...
No point in disscussing it...

Anyway, Obradovic, Ivkovic and Blatt could all succeed in NBA... But we will probably never see it happen...

Why would you list Blatt with those other two? He's American and he's young for a coach. I am sure he can get a job in the NBA very easily.

He could be an assistant or work in D-League probably right now without even asking more than 1-2 NBA teams.

In a few years, he would get a head coaching job. I don't think Blatt would have any problem getting a head coaching job in the NBA in the next 5 years if that's what he wanted.

Of course, the problem is that he's very overrated as a coach. I'm honestly not even sure why he's considered a good coach at all.

Blatt was an utter failure at Dynamo Moscow (they had an enormous budget back in those days, which people forget now). He was a disaster beyond description when he was at Aris..........

He completely failed totally when he was with Efes.......

And to be honest, he has made some really strange and stupid moves recently with Maccabi. Some of his player selections and how he uses some of his players, or does not use them - well, just bizarre.

I think I can say with complete confidence that Blatt is the most overrated coach in Europe....BY FAR.

But like I said, I am sure he could get an NBA coaching job within the next 5 years if he wanted one. Which is ironic, since he's so overrated. But he's AMERICAN, and that's clearly the main thing NBA teams are considering when they look at Euroleague coaches.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm honestly not even sure why he's considered a good coach at all.

Blatt was an utter failure at Dynamo Moscow (they had an enormous budget back in those days, which people forget now). He was a disaster beyond description when he was at Aris..........

He completely failed totally when he was with Efes.......

And to be honest, he has made some really strange and stupid moves recently with Maccabi. Some of his player selections and how he uses some of his players, or does not use them - well, just bizarre.

I think I can say with complete confidence that Blatt is the most overrated coach in Europe....BY FAR.

But like I said, I am sure he could get an NBA coaching job within the next 5 years if he wanted one. Which is ironic, since he's so overrated. But he's AMERICAN, and that's clearly the main thing NBA teams are considering when they look at Euroleague coaches.

He coached Russia to a European Championship over more talented teams.

B-Easy8
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQJR61zktAc

damn he is good

Awesome play call.

I don't think he will come. NBA is very different from FIBA ball which is muc more team oriented. He will end up benching everyone for playing iso ball.

I hope he comes and they implement his play style though. The NBA needs more teams that play team ball instead of iso ball.

Euroleague
04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
He coached Russia to a European Championship over more talented teams.

That's a very small single elimination tournament. It's completely different from coaching a club in a season. Not even remotely the same thing.

And that's the only thing Russia won all the years he was coaching them. And I'm not sure you can say it was against "better teams" either. Russia always has one of the deepest and best teams.

Euroleague
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Awesome play call.

I don't think he will come. NBA is very different from FIBA ball which is muc more team oriented. He will end up benching everyone for playing iso ball.

I hope he comes and they implement his play style though. The NBA needs more teams that play team ball instead of iso ball.

Obradovic ran tons and tons of pick and roll with guards like Jasikevicius, Spanoulis, Diamantidis and big men like Batiste and Pekovic.

He also used Spanoulis a lot in ISO too. As I said, there were times when his whole offense came down to give the ball to Spanoulis and spread out.

On top of that, Obradovic is really big on post game, at any position where he thinks he has a bigger player that can post, and he's almost obsessed with the spread the floor 3 point shooting power forward (like Fotsis).

I don't see much of anything in his offensive system that isn't typical NBA philosophy. It's just that he is more detailed and more of a perfectionist, and he targets players that can perfectly execute.

But there is really nothing at all about his offensive style that is different from NBA systems for the most part. It's just more regimented and strict.

But he had a guy like Diamantidis dribbling and dribbling and dribbling and dribbling then going into the lane then throwing the ball back to the 3 point line WILDLY for years.

He had a guy like Calathes that couldn't shoot if his life depended on it, and could only play in a fast set, logging minutes all the time, etc.

I don't see anything in his offensive philosophy that would be any different than NBA principles. If anything, he's much more NBA style than most European coaches.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
"Dumars is absolutely in love with Zeljko Obradovic," sources close to the Pistons said. El Contraataque

Dumars plans to fly to London on May 9 to attend the Euroleague Final Four. (...) Obradovic will go there too. El Contraataque

Matt Dery: Source: Lindsey Hunter has asked #Suns for permission to interview for #Pistons HC vacancy. It will likely be granted soon. Twitter