PDA

View Full Version : Is Michael Jordan the worst owner in NBA History?

1987_Lakers
04-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Charlotte has only been to the playoffs once since he's been there. He did some boneheaded things in Washington too.

- Drafted Kwame Brown with the #1 pick
- Traded Rip Hamilton for Stackhouse (Washington)
- Drafted Adam Morrison with the #3 pick
- Drafted Brandan Wright instead of Jokim Noah
- Drafted D.J. Augustin instead of Brook Lopez
- Drafted Gerald Henderson instead of Ty Lawson
- Drafted soon to be bust Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
- Traded Tyson Chandler for nothing
- Traded away Tobias Harris

TheReal Kendall
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Charlotte has only been to the playoffs once since he's been there. He did some boneheaded things in Washington too.

This is true. Doesn't Morrison have like 2 rings? He should let someone else run it and just sit back. You can't be a winner at everything you do.

bmd
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
MJ is the goat at being a terrible GM.

tomtucker
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
MJ is the goat at being a terrible GM.

and dresser........

SilkkTheShocker
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
He honestly sucks at everything but basketball. Awful baseball player, terrible owner/GM, and got his Dad killled because he was such a bad gambler.

Solefade
04-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Remember when he said he would pick Kobe over LeBron? #worstownerofalltime :oldlol:

1987_Lakers
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
The Bobcats reportedly called Brook Lopez right before their pick and told him that they were gonna draft him, but they changed their minds last minute and went with Augustin instead.:oldlol:

PJR
04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
If Jerry Krause had listented to Jordan, he would've drafted Joe Wolf over Pippen, and there would have never been a Bulls dynasty. :oldlol:

1987_Lakers
04-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Remember when he said he would pick Kobe over LeBron? #worstownerofalltime :oldlol:

He also said LeBron can't go to his left when LeBron is basically a left handed player.:oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW0Ma3KghFY

bmd
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
and dresser........He really is. He wouldn't be terrible if he would just wear clothes that fit. He wears stuff that is like 3 sizes too big.

B-Low
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
He really is. He wouldn't be terrible if he would just wear clothes that fit. He wears stuff that is like 3 sizes too big.

And when you're 6'6" tall and weigh in the mid 200s, you REALLY have to go out of your way to buy clothes that are 3 sizes to big

Solefade
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
And when you're 6'6" tall and weigh in the mid 200s, you REALLY have to go out of your way to buy clothes that are 3 sizes to big

LeBron James is 6'8 and 265 and dresses 100x better than him.

El Kabong
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
The Bobcats reportedly called Brook Lopez right before their pick and told him that they were gonna draft him, but they changed their minds last minute and went with Augustin instead.:oldlol:
That was Larry Browns doing I believe. He wanted Augustin and they relented and picked him even though they told Lopez he was their guy.

Also, MJ doesn't have much to do with decision making anymore. He's got Rod Higgins and Richard Cho doing all that now, so it's not like you can blame him for guys like MKG (who still has potential to be a really good player)

jzek
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
GOAT player yet the complete opposite as a personnel.

Meanwhile, Larry Bird was a great player (won everything), great coach (won CotY), and a great executive (won EotY). :bowdown:

TheMan
04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I still think Sterling is the worst but MJ is giving him a run for his money.

tomtucker
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
why is he not the Bulls GM........??

sipitri
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Tyson Chandler was sucking hard and had an awful contract, it was the right move to trade him.

La Frescobaldi
04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
That was Larry Browns doing I believe. He wanted Augustin and they relented and picked him even though they told Lopez he was their guy.

Also, MJ doesn't have much to do with decision making anymore. He's got Rod Higgins and Richard Cho doing all that now, so it's not like you can blame him for guys like MKG (who still has potential to be a really good player)
Selecting trash management is a far greater evil to a franchise than poor player selection. Lasts far longer, and has a worse impact for the team itself since they see what dullards they are working for.

Inability to select quality staff is the worst failure there is in a businessman.

wagexslave
04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
From GOAT to WOAT

Scholar
04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
No, I think Donald Sterling still holds that title. Let's not forget that the Clippers have only been relevant for 3 seasons in their entire franchise history (2006, 2012 & 2013).

Michael Jordan has been awful so far, but Donald Sterling had been awful for a much longer period of time.

You know a team's owner is terrible when every year he has a "Draft Party" and celebrates his GMs picking the worst players of the bunch. He's the same guy who allowed Olowakandi to be picked up #1 overall over guys like VC, PP, Dirk, Mike Bibby & Antawn Jamison.

bmd
04-23-2013, 07:37 PM
why is he not the Bulls GM........??Well he's from North Carolina... And Charlotte is in North Carolina.

That would be my guess.

TheBigVeto
04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
If he's not, he's at least top 3.
GOAT player and WOAT owner. The only person who holds such distinction, he should be proud.

Goldrush25
04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
It's tough to argue with his results. But it's not shocking. Just because you're a great chef, doesn't mean you're qualified to open and run a successful restaurant.

MJ did not acquire his wealth due to any measurable business acumen. He got it because he knew how to bounce and shoot a basketball. Running a team requires hiring and entrusting staff to make decisions on player personnel. There are GMs, scouts, statisticians who make a living off of evaluating players. They know what to look for in players. MJ does not.

I imagine MJ has too many opinions on player decisions, and no one in that organization has the balls to say "No Mr. Jordan, you don't know what you're talking about. Let us make that decision." He needs to surround himself with people that will do that, but he never will.

b0bab0i
04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
AMMO was decent before his knee injury.

KyleKong
04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Everyone is bad at something. Looks like MJ founds his Achilles heel (No pun intended on Kobe) with being a business owner. :facepalm

Bandito
04-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Wait doesn't MJ have a gm? Or does he only have one in paper and he's the real GM of the Bobcats?

KyleKong
04-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Wait doesn't MJ have a gm? Or does he only have one in paper and he's the real GM of the Bobcats?

Knowing how competitive MJ is and how much he likes to control everything, my assumption is he has just a paper GM but MJ is the real puppet master behind the Bobcat's destruction.

FreezingTsmoove
04-23-2013, 09:37 PM
How the **** is MKG a future bust? Please explain OP? The stupidity of ISH never ceases to amaze me.

FreezingTsmoove
04-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Jordan bleeds North Carolina blue

LLK21
04-23-2013, 09:40 PM
http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r764/PhotographerPeterParker/Michael-Jordan-Baggy-Jeans_zps076d54f9.jpg (http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/PhotographerPeterParker/media/Michael-Jordan-Baggy-Jeans_zps076d54f9.jpg.html)

:bowdown:

La Frescobaldi
04-23-2013, 09:44 PM
http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r764/PhotographerPeterParker/Michael-Jordan-Baggy-Jeans_zps076d54f9.jpg (http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/PhotographerPeterParker/media/Michael-Jordan-Baggy-Jeans_zps076d54f9.jpg.html)

:bowdown:

takes brass balls to wear that

SacJB Shady
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
I think mj picks who's game he likes not who he thinks is the best for the team. That's why he got Richardson although that tardy as prolly ok

DMV2
04-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Well he's from North Carolina... And Charlotte is in North Carolina.

That would be my guess.
Because the Bulls owner had some conflicts with Jordan, Pippen and Phil after the 1998 season.

LosScandalous
04-23-2013, 10:45 PM
When raymond felton is arguably a 1-2 best player in your franchises history, yes he is.

Mr. Jabbar
04-23-2013, 10:58 PM
yes lol

Collie
04-23-2013, 11:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Stepien

Even has a rule named after him.

Shepseskaf
04-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Because the Bulls owner had some conflicts with Jordan, Pippen and Phil after the 1998 season.
Because the Bulls' ownership is smart enough never to put MJ in a decision-making management position.

kNicKz
04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Awful baseball player

highly underrated second season in the Arizona Fall League

Shepseskaf
04-24-2013, 12:10 AM
highly underrated second season in the Arizona Fall League
Yup. Watch the ESPN 30-for-30 "Jordan Rides the Bus".

Fawker
04-24-2013, 12:53 AM
he wears jordan brand everything. from the jeans to jackets. these are exclusive clothes that he has designed for himself.

Leftimage
04-24-2013, 01:49 AM
he wears jordan brand everything. from the jeans to jackets. these are exclusive clothes that he has designed for himself.

That makes it even worse.

Solefade
04-24-2013, 02:19 AM
How the **** is MKG a future bust? Please explain OP? The stupidity of ISH never ceases to amaze me.

He looks like nothing more but a glorified role player. He hasn't proven or shown any flashes of brilliance that would indicate otherwise this season, so yeah that would make him kind of a soon-to-be-bust.

DJ Leon Smith
04-24-2013, 06:34 AM
He looks like nothing more but a glorified role player. He hasn't proven or shown any flashes of brilliance that would indicate otherwise this season, so yeah that would make him kind of a soon-to-be-bust.

Scottie Pippen looked the same in his rookie season.

(Not saying MKG = Pippen. But writing someone off after their rookie season is beyond dumb. Something you'd do if you were a terrible GM/owner.)

ILLsmak
04-24-2013, 06:39 AM

I think MKG is a good player and a good step for MJ. If you look at teh rest of the picks, it seems like MJ was trying to draft home runs. MKG is a good guy to build a team with. You can't constantly look for a franchise player with your picks... unless you have the first pick.

I also think MJ believed he could take a player and impose his will on them. I wonder how he is as a father... lol you'd think if he had kids he would realize that's just not true.

-Smak

Shepseskaf
04-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Its way too early to call MKG a bust, but I'll bet if MJ had to do the draft again he'd pick his fellow Tar Heel Harrison Barnes.

SpurrDurr
04-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Great ball player, terrible human being. Well you can't have everything in life i guess.

hawkfan
04-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Jordan wanted to trade the no. 1 pick that was used on Kwame Brown for Elton Brand (who was with Chicago at the time), but Doug Collins was against it and Jordan went along with him.

But picking Kwame ahead of Pau Gasol, yea that was a disaster.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Sterling, Dolan, Jim Buss, Ted Stepien come to mind

Crafty
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes.

hawkfan
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM

He didn't want to pick Rudy Gay over Adam Morrison because of homophobia because he didn't want to promote a player who's last name is Gay.

toneloc103
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
He honestly sucks at everything but basketball. Awful baseball player, terrible owner/GM, and got his Dad killled because he was such a bad gambler.

And sometimes, we go just a bit too far...

Bandito
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
And sometimes, we go just a bit too far...
silktheshocker always go to far. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

To4
04-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes.. No questions asked..

caliman
04-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Probably because he's a wing player that can't make a shot outside of 3 feet. He has time to get his shot straightened out, but right now he is just a glorified role player.

Just2McFly
04-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Mj is not even close to the worst give him some time

DJ Leon Smith
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Probably because he's a wing player that can't make a shot outside of 3 feet. He has time to get his shot straightened out, but right now he is just a glorified role player.

HE. IS. A. ROOKIE.

InsideHoops - where if you're not LeBron in your rookie season, you're a bust.

caliman
04-24-2013, 06:49 PM
HE. IS. A. ROOKIE.

InsideHoops - where if you're not LeBron in your rookie season, you're a bust.

When did being a rookie preclude you from being able to make a jump shot? And I didn't call him a bust. I said he's glorified role player, not a player that you build around with the #2 pick.

2LeTTeRS
04-24-2013, 06:59 PM

The B Wright pick was dealt to Golden State for J Rich which catapulted the Bobcats to our only playoff birth. That team was solid, too bad J Rich and Captain Jack got old after that and Emeka Okafor, Tyrus Thomas, and the 2 PGs (DJ Augustin and Raymond Felton) never progressed as pros.

veilside23
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
he has made terrible decisions but i hope he learns from it.. this year we will know and the year after ... its up to them if they want to tank again.. but i assure you if they do tank again and get top 5 pick next year they will be relevant for the next decade...

core of kemba/ (maybe mclemore)/ mkg / biz and next year's pick

and mj has just owned the bobcats for less than a decade ... there are owners out there who suck for more than 2 decades so no he isnt the worst

dont draft nerlens noel...

plus they already fire the coach ..i wonder who runs the show after dunlap...

JellyBean
04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Heck no. He is currently a terrible owner. But in the history of the NBA, not by a long shot. Donald Sterling, despite his recent run two year run of good luck, is still the worst owner in the history of the NBA. Jordan has a few decades to go before he can obtain that "worst" owner in NBA history crown.

DJ Leon Smith
04-25-2013, 06:54 AM
When did being a rookie preclude you from being able to make a jump shot? And I didn't call him a bust. I said he's glorified role player, not a player that you build around with the #2 pick.

Plenty of rookies couldn't hit jumpshots and went on to become good to great outside shooters.

Go check Scottie Pippen's rookie stats and get back to me.

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Plenty of rookies couldn't hit jumpshots and went on to become good to great outside shooters.

He became passable. Weakest part of his game.

DJ Leon Smith
04-25-2013, 04:26 PM
He became passable. Weakest part of his game.

You're wrong, but now explain the improvement in Gary Payton's outside shot to his prime.

Go on.

caliman
04-25-2013, 04:35 PM

I think it's fair to say that Pippen was inconsistent with his jump shot for at least the first few seasons. But he showed enough to know that with work he would become better at it. MKG isn't even at an inconsistent level. He's downright terrible. I mean seriously, go look at his shot chart. According to his shooting splits he was 78/287 on jump shots. No way can a wing player in todays NBA make it shooting like that.

DJ Leon Smith
04-25-2013, 05:23 PM
I think it's fair to say that Pippen was inconsistent with his jump shot for at least the first few seasons. But he showed enough to know that with work he would become better at it. MKG isn't even at an inconsistent level. He's downright terrible. I mean seriously, go look at his shot chart. According to his shooting splits he was 78/287 on jump shots. No way can a wing player in todays NBA make it shooting like that.

Scottie Pippen's rookie season percentages:

FG 46% FT 57% 3PT 17%

MKG's rookie season percentages:

FG 45% FT 74% 3PT 22%

You were saying?

You're right though, MKG can't improve and his shooting will be downright terrible for the rest of his career and he can't make it in today's NBA. :cheers:

caliman
04-25-2013, 05:58 PM

FG 46% FT 57% 3PT 17%

FG 45% FT 74% 3PT 22%

You were saying?

You're right though, MKG can't improve and his shooting will be downright terrible for the rest of his career and he can't make it in today's NBA. :cheers:

We were specifically talking about jump shots. MKG was 78/287, a robust 27%. So once again, my point was that he was terrible shooting from 3 feet and out. He isn't even good enough to be called an inconsistent shooter. He's f*ckin terrible. If you can find Pippens jump shooting stats for his first few seasons we would be glad to look at them.

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I think it's fair to say that Pippen was inconsistent with his jump shot for at least the first few seasons. .

Always was streaky at best.

Eat Like A Bosh
04-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Well you can't be the best at everything.

Lebron23
05-23-2020, 05:16 PM
If Jerry Krause had listented to Jordan, he would've drafted Joe Wolf over Pippen, and there would have never been a Bulls dynasty. :oldlol:

That's actually true. Krause was just a better talent evaluator than MJ.

1987_Lakers
05-23-2020, 05:27 PM

lol. 7 years later. Career 8.5 ppg, not bad for a 2nd overall pick. :lol

RRR3
05-23-2020, 05:50 PM

FG 46% FT 57% 3PT 17%

FG 45% FT 74% 3PT 22%

You were saying?

I mean...

Axe
05-23-2020, 07:04 PM
He should have never reverted the name of the team back to the hornets.

Soundwave
05-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Who cares. Wayne Gretzky was a mediocre coach/executive for the Phoenix Coyotes. Magic was an awful coach. Larry Bird hasn't done much in Indiana in ages. Isiah Thomas and the Knicks was a train wreck. Kevin McHale not so great in Minnesota. Lakers would never give Kareem a shot in a serious coaching or management role.

A guy like Jerry West is rare.

Players don't often make the best coaches/managers because their play style is based largely on instinctual ability, it doesn't translate to coaching/management.

A large chunk of the NBA is mediocre every year anyway, there's no other sports league where like 70% of the teams really have 0 legitimate chance of winning anything big, so the Hornets are just in the same category as many other teams.

There's 6-8 actual "good teams" and then everyone else is a non playoff team or 1st round canon fodder.

light
05-24-2020, 05:58 PM

There's more to owning a club than just drafting and trading players. In fact, that's not even the owner's responsibility, typically.

To me, for an owner, more important than player movement may be 1) willingness to spend and 2) quality of facilities and surrounding services (catering, etc). I'm not familiar with the Charlotte Hornets training facilities or services and whether they're world class or not, but that is a big part of being a quality owner. I'm also not sure about Jordan's reputation as a spender.

If he ranks low on those two counts I would probably consider him to be of a lower tier of owner.

Soundwave
05-24-2020, 06:02 PM
It's also easy to say Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison suck in hindsight, but at the time everyone and their grandma had Kwame Brown ranked no.1 in that draft, he was supposed to be a KG type player. If the Wizards didn't take him the no.2 team would've sprinted up to the podium to select him.

Everyone had Adam Morrison ranked around 3/4 in that draft as well, he was a phenomenonmal scorer his last year in college, no.1 in the NCAA.

AlternativeAcc.
05-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Who cares. Wayne Gretzky was a mediocre coach/executive for the Phoenix Coyotes. Magic was an awful coach. Larry Bird hasn't done much in Indiana in ages. Isiah Thomas and the Knicks was a train wreck. Kevin McHale not so great in Minnesota. Lakers would never give Kareem a shot in a serious coaching or management role.

A guy like Jerry West is rare.

Players don't often make the best coaches/managers because their play style is based largely on instinctual ability, it doesn't translate to coaching/management.

A large chunk of the NBA is mediocre every year anyway, there's no other sports league where like 70% of the teams really have 0 legitimate chance of winning anything big, so the Hornets are just in the same category as many other teams.

There's 6-8 actual "good teams" and then everyone else is a non playoff team or 1st round canon fodder.

The Charlotte hornets and their fans care. The people whose jobs depended on the hornets being good and selling tickets care.

Its easy to be a dick sucking jordan Stan saying "who cares" but his horrible decisions had and are continuing to have major ramifications.

AlternativeAcc.
05-24-2020, 06:13 PM
It's also easy to say Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison suck in hindsight, but at the time everyone and their grandma had Kwame Brown ranked no.1 in that draft, he was supposed to be a KG type player. If the Wizards didn't take him the no.2 team would've sprinted up to the podium to select him.

Everyone had Adam Morrison ranked around 3/4 in that draft as well, he was a phenomenonmal scorer his last year in college, no.1 in the NCAA.

Is it easy to suck dick? You're pretty good at it.

Soundwave
05-24-2020, 06:15 PM
The Charlotte hornets and their fans care. The people whose jobs depended on the hornets being good and selling tickets care.

Its easy to be a dick sucking jordan Stan saying "who cares" but his horrible decisions had and are continuing to have major ramifications.

The fact is though, basketball is the hardest sport to be successful in as a management team. Basically you luck into a franchise player/generational player otherwise you're screwed and those players don't come around often.

The last one who altered a team was probably like Steph Curry? Giannis probably too but he hasn't yet really led the Bucks anywhere.

It's not like hockey or football or baseball where you can as a GM really make something happen without having to have a top end superstar.

70% of the NBA has zero chance in hell of winning an NBA title and everyone knows that.

Management side of NBA is a lot of luck, so I don't really care much about that aspect, getting a franchise superstar you can build a consistent contender around is a crapshoot and not really based in any skill. You luck out in a draft lottery because of lottery balls or something, whoopity doo. The Spurs are the "model franchise" but none of that means anything if you don't get lucky in a draft lottery and the exact right year to be able to take Tim Duncan. If they win the draft lottery in 1998 instead of 1997, they get Michael Olawokandi instead.

3ball
05-24-2020, 06:22 PM
The job of an owner is to return value to shareholders

The bobcats have increased in value by 1 billion, so MJ returned 1 billion to shareholders (himself)

baudkarma
05-24-2020, 06:59 PM
Donald Sterling bought the Clippers in 1982 and managed to keep a team in what is probably the basketball capital of the world completely irrelevant for over 20 years. And he was a racist asshat to boot. I think he's much, much worse than MJ. James Nolan of the Knicks deserves some consideration too. It takes real talent for two teams in the two largest markets in the country to suck so hard for so long.

Soundwave
05-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Donald Sterling bought the Clippers in 1982 and managed to keep a team in what is probably the basketball capital of the world completely irrelevant for over 20 years. And he was a racist asshat to boot. I think he's much, much worse than MJ. James Nolan of the Knicks deserves some consideration too. It takes real talent for two teams in the two largest markets in the country to suck so hard for so long.

Given the fact they play in glamour markets, no doubt the Knicks and Clippers (Sterling era) would take the cake. They have a big advantage in being able to attract free agents and still nada.

Axe
05-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Lol just imagine if bran also becomes a team owner someday and somebody tells the same thing.

RRR3
05-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Lol just imagine if bran also becomes a team owner someday and somebody tells the same thing.
I would guess that at some point LeBron will become either the owner, GM or coach of the Cavs.