PDA

View Full Version : What Does Melo Need To Do To Be Top 50 All Time

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
ECF Run? More scoring titles?

Shepseskaf
04-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Championship titles. He's already a borderline HoFer and one of the best scorers in history, but a couple of titles as the man would put him in the top 50 discussion.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-24-2013, 07:17 AM
shut up. you think thats what he's playing for? or do you just enjoy starting pointless discussions? Let's wait until players are done with their careers before we start matching them up with players whose careers are finished. See how it doesn't make sense to compare a complete career with an incomplete one?

but, to humor you, let's see your personal list of top 50 players all time. make sure to reference all of the accolades and accomplishments your top 50 players have achieved, and maybe create a legend/point system for assigning quantitative values to each separate accomplishment. then we can just see how many points Melo needs to break the top 50 and you can speculate how he will or won't gain the necessary points. have fun!

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 08:01 AM
He can't be top 50. Are Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bernard King or other high scoring small forawrds in the top 50?

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 08:26 AM
He can't be top 50. Are Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bernard King or other high scoring small forawrds in the top 50?

Would you say Melo is closer to the top 75?

fpliii
04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
I think it boils down to 2 things:

1) Where you have him ranked as of today

2) Who his closest comparisons just inside and right outside of the top 50 are

If, after this season his career more closely resembles those of the former group of guys than those of the latter, it's more likely that he's a top 50 player (and vice versa).

This probably sounds very banal/obvious, but it's very important to look at similar players stylistically who had varying degrees of success.

Shepseskaf
04-24-2013, 08:42 AM
None of them won titles as the #1 option.

nathanjizzle
04-24-2013, 08:44 AM
it means you dont have to sit at a mall kiosk selling snap on ties

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
None of them won titles as the #1 option.

Exactly! Same as Carmelo. The only difference is he has always been hyped as something more than a high scoring SF when that's all he is.

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Those guys didn't carry their teams to the playoffs every year of their careers. They were on constant losing teams. Melo has been to the playoffs every year of his career.

annbafan
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Exactly! Same as Carmelo. The only difference is he has always been hyped as something more than a high scoring SF when that's all he is.

What if Anthony wins a championship or/plus a mvp award someday, then won't it put him above these players that you mentioned and into the Top-50? It's too early to write him off.

Kblaze8855
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Lets say he knocks out the guys who never led teams anywhere he didnt....Dave Bing, Gervin, Pistol Pete, Nate Thurmond, and Lenny Wilkens types. Im gonna give Mchale, Parish, Worthy, and so on a pass. Guys who had amazing careers as supporting stars. But lets say Melo is gunning for one of the 5 spots I mentioned.

Hes gotta contend with Duncan, Kobe, AI, Payton, KG, Dirk, Lebron, Wade, Paul, Nash, Payton, Kidd and probably a few im forgetting who did not make the first list.

They alone eat up Melos open spots.

But thats going off the NBAs list. You can argue hes better than some guys in the top 50. But he wouldnt make a newly voted list yet...and I doubt a couple scoring titles would do it. Nique didnt make it. Or Bob Mcadoo.

Lot of people to get in there over Melo.

Kblaze8855
04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
And for the record Alex English was probably in the playoffs 10 years in a row.

Crafty
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Getting out of the 1st round more times

Chrono90
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
too early for that. 9 years in the league n he has done nothing except for 1 scoring title

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
And for the record Alex English was probably in the playoffs 10 years in a row.

He didn't start making it until he was 28. Melo has been there every year of his career.

How many other guys can you name that have done 20ppg every year, and made the playoffs every year. The list is short.

To4
04-24-2013, 09:36 AM
i really dunno, but maybe a few individual accolades? like few nba 1st or 2nd or 3rd teams, and couple more scoring titles?..

Kblaze8855
04-24-2013, 09:38 AM
He was 24. A player is not worse for going to 4 years of college and being a 23 year old rookie. You went to college in his day....and you stayed there.

Far as not making it every year...

Im just gonna file that under "So what?".

Of what benefit is losing in the playoffs every year? English won 5 or 6 series. He had a better run in Denver than Melo did id say. Neither went past the WCF but they were respectable.

20ppg and playoffs is one of those things that looks nice....but accomplishes nothing and nobody remembers it.

pauk
04-24-2013, 09:40 AM
An MVP or FMVP/Title would do it or simply just display longevity, he has the ability to end up very high on all-time scoring list for example...

But i think you can already debate/argue him being a top 50 guy...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
He didn't start making it until he was 28. Melo has been there every year of his career.

Actually, he made the playoffs at 24.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Those guys didn't carry their teams to the playoffs every year of their careers. They were on constant losing teams. Melo has been to the playoffs every year of his career.

He carried them every year? Only 6 teams used to make the playoffs. Dantley started the Jazz playoff run as soon as they put a bit of talent around him. Certainly not one of the highest payrolls in the league as Carmelo has around him currently.

What if Anthony wins a championship or/plus a mvp award someday, then won't it put him above these players that you mentioned and into the Top-50? It's too early to write him off.

It's not too early!

Nique didnt make it.

And he is the best comparison. Highly overrated high scoring small forward with lots of hype.

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 09:52 AM
He was 24. A player is not worse for going to 4 years of college and being a 23 year old rookie. You went to college in his day....and you stayed there.

Far as not making it every year...

Im just gonna file that under "So what?".

Of what benefit is losing in the playoffs every year? English won 5 or 6 series. He had a better run in Denver than Melo did id say. Neither went past the WCF but they were respectable.

20ppg and playoffs is one of those things that looks nice....but accomplishes nothing and nobody remembers it.

Melo is already a better player than Alex English, and will have much better playoff runs in his future. He's only 28, and 7 months older than Lebron. He's got a lot of time left. Alex English started making the playoffs consistently at 28.

Imagine if you made this thread about Paul Pierce when he was 28. It would be an epic bump with people calling him a career loser at that time.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 09:53 AM
An MVP or FMVP/Title would do it or simply just display longevity, he has the ability to end up very high on all-time scoring list for example...

Dantley and English are very high on the list. Are they top 50?

But i think you can already debate/argue him being a top 50 guy...

You can if there are other high scoring small forwards in the top 50 but is there?

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 09:56 AM

You can if there are other high scoring small forwards in the top 50 but is there?

Dominique and Dantley are top 50 for sure.

ripthekik
04-24-2013, 09:57 AM
silkk, after you came back, i noticed a huge decrease in activity from april 2013 posters. Coincidence?

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Melo is already a better player than Alex English, and will have much better playoff runs in his future. He's only 28, and 7 months older than Lebron. He's got a lot of time left. Alex English started making the playoffs consistently at 28.

Debatable. English is comparable. Just because he wasn't hyped since high school as the next great thing doesn't make Carmelo better. They were both high volume scorers from the small forward position. Only 6 teams made the playofs in each conference when English started not 8 btw.

Imagine if you made this thread about Paul Pierce when he was 28. It would be an epic bump with people calling him a career loser at that time.

Pierce was always a better all around talent. He's not just a high volume scorer.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Dominique and Dantley are top 50 for sure.

Don't remember them on the 50th anniversary top 50 team.

leMVP
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
He can have a karl malone-like carrer, win mvp, cement himself as top scorer of this era, a run to the finals(less likely to happen unless lebron is injured or something). but that's it. i can't see him wining rings in this era.

To4
04-24-2013, 10:03 AM
He can have a karl malone-like carrer, win mvp, cement himself as top scorer of this era, a run to the finals(less likely to happen unless lebron is injured or something). but that's it. i can't see him wining rings in this era.

i agree a bit, if melo can have like that Dirk playoff run in 2011 and win a ring

and FMVP then he'll be sure top 50 (Highly unlikely but possible? haha), but

yeah, that is the best case scenario for Melo thou. :cheers:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM

He can't. The Mailman was a special player. We've seen what Carmelo does before.

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Alex English is known as a product of the fast paced Doug Moe system in Denver. His numbers were completely inflated. He was barely a 20 ppg scorer in his physical prime.

Are you guys fcking retarded or just trolling? Anyone who knows about NBA history knows that the numbers from the Nuggets back at that time were completely inflated.

What are you gonna tell me next? Michael Adams put up a legit 26 ppg/10 apg season, and is one of the great pgs of all time?

Kblaze8855
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM

Dude...I barely remember Alex english in his prime. I suspect you dont. Especially since it seems the first thing you did was go to basketball reference and notice his age to the left.

What do you really know about him to base the opinion that hes worse than melo on?

I dont care that you think it. Not like one is 3 levels up from the other.

I just want you to tell me something about basketball that makes you believe it.

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Dude...I barely remember Alex english in his prime. I suspect you dont. Especially since it seems the first thing you did was go to basketball reference and notice his age to the left.

What do you really know about him to base the opinion that hes worse than melo on?

I dont care that you think it. Not like one is 3 levels up from the other.

I just want you to tell me something about basketball that makes you believe it.

I've been watching the NBA since 1986. I know enough about what Alex English was at that time, which was his prime.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Alex English is known as a product of the fast paced Doug Moe system in Denver. His numbers were completely inflated. He was barely a 20 ppg scorer in his physical prime.

He also had to share the scoring load with several other big scorers over the years or else he might have put up even bigger numbers.

pauk
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM

Dantley & English should be hovering around #50.

Kblaze8855
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
So...you arent going to give me anything about basketball then?

Just call him a product of the speed his team played. I suppose the same is true of Magic, KJ, Mullin/Timmy, Gervin, mid 80s Isiah, peak Bird, and so on as well? All those guys who had teams in the 114-122ppg range. Or we limiting this to Alex?

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
He also had to share the scoring load with several other big scorers over the years or else he might have put up even bigger numbers.

Who? Fat Lever? They fcking pushed the ball up the court every possession and took as many shots as humanly possible. The offense was a complete gimmick. Everyone had inflated stats. The biggest beneficiary was Alex English.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_50th_Anniversary_Team

Not that I agree with this list but none of them made it.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Who? Fat Lever? They fcking pushed the ball up the court every possession and took as many shots as humanly possible. The offense was a complete gimmick. Everyone had inflated stats. The biggest beneficiary was Alex English.

Issel, Thompson, Vandeweghe...

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
So...you arent going to give me anything about basketball then?

Just call him a product of the speed his team played. I suppose the same is true of Magic, KJ, Mullin/Timmy, Gervin, mid 80s Isiah, peak Bird, and so on as well? All those guys who had teams in the 114-122ppg range. Or we limiting this to Alex?

Yes, some of those guys stats are somewhat inflated by fast paced offenses.

But none of them ran offenses like Doug Moe. In his offense, it was basically pass pass shoot. No matter who was in front of you, just shoot. Even if it's a bad shot. Just shoot.

Scholar
04-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Stupid ass OP. :facepalm I bet this guy can't even name 50 players better than Carmelo Anthony.

pauk
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
6. Larry Bird
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Tim Duncan
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. LeBron James
12. Oscar Robertson
13. Moses Malone
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving
16. Moses Malone
17. Elgin Baylor
18. Bob Pettit
19. John Havlicek
20. Karl Malone
21. George Mikan
22. David Robinson
23. Isiah Thomas
24. Charles Barkley
25. Kevin Garnett
26. Dirk Nowitzki
27. John Stockton
28. Rick Barry
29. Scottie Pippen
30. Dwyane Wade
31. Bob Cousy
32. Clyde Drexler
33. Gary Payton
34. Willis Reed
35. Patrick Ewing
36. Allen Iverson
37. Walt Frazier
38. Elvin Hayes
39. George Gervin
40. Jason Kidd
41. Dave Cowens
42. Bob McAdoo
43. Nate Thurmond
44. Wes Unseld
45. Kevin McHale
46. Dolph Schayes
47. Dominique Wilkins
48. Bill Walton
49. Steve Nash
50. Dennis Rodman

Thats how i look at it, you may change the order at your liking but those definitely are the 50 best. Guess i couldnt find a place for Dantley, English afterall. But they are definitely exactly there, 51... 52.. Paul Pierce (he probably deserves to replace somebody here, hm)... Billy Cunningham and so on... its tough...

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Yes, some of those guys stats are somewhat inflated by fast paced offenses.

But none of them ran offenses like Doug Moe. In his offense, it was basically pass pass shoot. No matter who was in front of you, just shoot. Even if it's a bad shot. Just shoot.

And he put up 3 1/2 to 5 + assists a game with all that shooting.

47. Dominique Wilkins
48. Bill Walton
49. Steve Nash
50. Dennis Rodman

Thats how i look at it, you may change the order at your liking but those definitely are the 50 best. Guess i couldnt find a place for Dantley, English afterall.

Dominique is comparable to the others. He just had more hype like Carmelo.

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Let's also not forget the 1980s Western Conference was pretty much a complete joke, except for the Lakers, Rockets, and Blazers. This is where English made his career.

Compare that to the 2000s Western Conference, which is arguably the most competitive conference top to bottom, that the NBA has ever seen. This is where Melo made his career, and made the playoffs every year.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Let's also not forget the 1980s Western Conference was pretty much a complete joke, except for the Lakers, Rockets, and Blazers. This is where English made his career.

Compare that to the 2000s Western Conference, which is arguably the most competitive conference top to bottom, that the NBA has ever seen. This is where Melo made his career, and made the playoffs every year.

And now he finally wins a scoring title feasting on the pathetic east.

selrahc
04-24-2013, 11:01 AM
make a bitch move and sign with kevin durant and chris paul on the same team

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
He already tried that forcing his way to NY with Amare! :roll:

TheMarkMadsen
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I've never understood why posters are so obsessed about the players they don' like

iDunk
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
He needs to be a top 2-3 Knicks of all time.

I'd say he's already arguably top 5.

But he needs to lead the Knicks to the ECF at least twice. A championship would obviously help his case, but if the Heat play out of their mind then its acceptable just like the Bulls hurt the Knicks & Ewing in the 90s.

Blue&Orange
04-24-2013, 11:22 AM
op obsessed with Melo, he makes 5 threads daily about Melo, gets banned, come backs, Melo, gets banned, comes back, guess what, Melo. :lol

He is upset Melo had the balls to come to NY, while Lebron shat himsef at the thought of playing in NY without his pals, Wade and Bosh.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 11:24 AM
He needs to be a top 2-3 Knicks of all time.

I'd say he's already arguably top 5.

But he needs to lead the Knicks to the ECF at least twice. A championship would obviously help his case, but if the Heat play out of their mind then its acceptable just like the Bulls hurt the Knicks & Ewing in the 90s.

He's behind Bernard King as far as high scoring small forwards go for the Knicks.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 11:28 AM
op obsessed with Melo, he makes 5 threads daily about Melo, gets banned, come backs, Melo, gets banned, comes back, guess what, Melo. :lol

He is upset Melo had the balls to come to NY, while Lebron shat himsef at the thought of playing in NY without his pals, Wade and Bosh.

He went to NY to play with his pal Amare because he was homesick.

TheMarkMadsen
04-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Lets not act like Amare is a former FMVP

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Lets not act like Amare is a former FMVP

No just the supposed max superstar to pair with the other supposed max superstar to challenge for titles!

imdaman99
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
yeah cuz amare later in his career comes close to wade and bosh right?

troll away dude

TheMarkMadsen
04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
No just the supposed max superstar to pair with the other supposed max superstar to challenge for titles!

Where's Melo's 3rd max superstar/allstar?

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Amare was an MVP candidate before Melo was trade there.

RRR3
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM

troll away dude
Amar'e was a scoring 25+ PPG when Melo got there :coleman:

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Where's Melo's 3rd max superstar/allstar?

Tyson Chandler was an all-star this season.

imdaman99
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Amar'e was a scoring 25+ PPG when Melo got there :coleman:
how old was amare? so i guess wade + bosh combined do not average 25 pts a game?\

i switched to colin clownherd cuz the other station is talking about hockey... and he is so mad that melo is getting MVP chants :roll: waaaaaaaah hes not better than lebron :cry:

RRR3
04-24-2013, 11:59 AM
how old was amare? so i guess wade + bosh combined do not average 25 pts a game?\

i switched to colin clownherd cuz the other station is talking about hockey... and he is so mad that melo is getting MVP chants :roll: waaaaaaaah hes not better than lebron :cry:
Amare is the GOAT (jewish player)

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Amare is the GOAT (jewish player)

Try to bring something to debate instead of this crap. What was the point of even posting that?

RRR3
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Try to bring something to debate instead of this crap. What was the point of even posting that?
What was the point of jacking off in a stranger's underwear drawer?

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 12:02 PM

troll away dude

He is expected to at a a max salary! Chandler too!

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 12:04 PM
What was the point of jacking off in a stranger's underwear drawer?

We are talking about basketball. If you want to OT, than we can talk on the Off the Court forum. You constantly bring nothing to the table when it comes to this board. Just post random crap and than you hide behind other posters. Step your game up and try to be original for once.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
slikk is back lmao

RRR3
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
slikk is back lmao
He must have something on Jeff.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
He is expected to at a a max salary! Chandler too!

the revisionist history with Amare is hilarious. The guy was considered a legit MVP candidate for a portion of the 2010-2011 season. People are acting like he was broken down the whole season.

kNicKz
04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JYy2MhyX9wU/TWWWaOz2ovI/AAAAAAAAAAU/vMO0c31OZyw/s1600/melo-amare-tx1.jpg

yea they def mad

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
He must have something on Jeff.

You have been banned more than me. Unless you post naked pictures or go against Jeff, its going to be temporary bans. Those wishing me to be permabanned are going to be disappointed.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JYy2MhyX9wU/TWWWaOz2ovI/AAAAAAAAAAU/vMO0c31OZyw/s1600/melo-amare-tx1.jpg

yea they def mad

Congrats on doubling your playoff wins from last postseason. When is the parade?

knickswin
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
amar'e is just not that great. at this point, he is a decent scorer with pathetic basketball iq and defense that is so bad I am embarrassed for him.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
the revisionist history with Amare is hilarious. The guy was considered a legit MVP candidate for a portion of the 2010-2011 season. People are acting like he was broken down the whole season.

Much of the past two seasons.

kNicKz
04-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Congrats on doubling your playoff wins from last postseason. When is the parade?

http://i.imgur.com/WFew0.gif

Sarcastic
04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
The Melo joining Amare comparison to the Heat would be equal if Lebron and Bosh had been the only 2 to join up. Wade thrown in there completely destroys the comparison.

KyleKong
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Melo needs to do one of these three.

-Win a Championship
-Win 3 more scoring titles
-Win an MVP

Than I will give him the respect of being a top 50.

Anticlus
04-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Win a Championship.

bmd
04-24-2013, 03:08 PM
too early for that. 9 years in the league n he has done nothing except for 1 scoring titleHow about being really good? Is that not something?

kNicKz
04-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Melo needs to do one of these three.

-Win a Championship
-Win 3 more scoring titles
-Win an MVP

Than I will give him the respect of being a top 50.

Name 50 players with 4 scoring titles, an mvp, and a chip :biggums:

Fudge
04-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Name 50 players with 4 scoring titles, an mvp, and a chip :biggums:
One of those 3.

Salty
04-24-2013, 11:53 PM
One of those 3.

Only 4 people have won 4+ scoring titles

kNicKz
04-24-2013, 11:57 PM
One of those 3.

read that wrong. Yeah doing one of those would get him up there. If he continues playing like this into his 30s it will be hard to leave him off the list as it is

jimmy77x
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Can some else make another one of these threads we obviously need more.

DStebb716
05-08-2013, 03:39 PM
too early for that. 9 years in the league n he has done nothing except for 1 scoring title

Scoring title, playoffs EVERY year, should've been rookie of the year (CLEARCUT winner of rookie of the year in every way possible, but the LeBron James hype was too much).