PDA

View Full Version : Houston Had 2 Point Guards Already Better than Lin

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:10 PM
In Dragic and Lowry. I know Lowry and McHale butted heads. But Houston would have been better off with Dragic. Lin plays scared and looks like crap against good defenses.

avonbarksdale
04-24-2013, 11:11 PM
lin > lowry

FreezingTsmoove
04-24-2013, 11:12 PM
It's amazing how much fear Westbrook strikes in average PG's in the playoffs. ***** is responsible for the death of Ramon Sessions career and is now scaring the crap out of Lin. :bowdown: :bowdown:

TheReal Kendall
04-24-2013, 11:13 PM
lin > lowry

That's not true. Lin folds under pressure. Give me Lowry anyday.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:14 PM
It's amazing how much fear Westbrook strikes in average PG's in the playoffs. ***** is responsible for the death of Ramon Sessions career and is now scaring the crap out of Lin. :bowdown: :bowdown:
Lin is literally playing scared out there. What a waste of money. Honestly, the guy sucks.

Johnny Jones
04-24-2013, 11:14 PM
That's not true. Lin folds under pressure. Give me Lowry anyday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR3NhE8fBs8

Heavincent
04-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Lin is a crappy PG for the most part. The whole Linsanity thing was cool but he's fallen off a cliff since then.

I was completely shocked when the Knicks didn't vastly overpay for him. Smartest thing the Knicks have done in years. Usually the Knicks are the ones overpaying players who had a few good games.

TylerOO
04-24-2013, 11:16 PM
lin > lowry

Not true...at all.

Lin is garbage. Overrated trash, I knew Houston would regret signing that bitch.

andremiller07
04-24-2013, 11:17 PM
lin > lowry
lmao nah not even close, Lowry way better

TylerOO
04-24-2013, 11:17 PM

Wow a game winner in the regular season in a tie game against the Craptors. :bowdown: :bowdown:

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Omg, a game winner against the juggernaut Raptors :bowdown:

But seriously, Lin folds against any pg that can pressure him.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Chalmers is a bottom-tier pg and I would take him over Lin without even thinking twice

TheReal Kendall
04-24-2013, 11:20 PM

And after that Miami exposed him that year for what he really is

Lateralus
04-24-2013, 11:20 PM
My heart broke when Dragic left :mad:

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:24 PM
My heart broke when Dragic left :mad:
And the thing is I like what Houston is doing for the most part. But I think the Lin signing was a mistake. Dragic is a good defender that won't backdown. Lin is the opposite

andremiller07
04-24-2013, 11:25 PM
And the thing is I like what Houston is doing for the most part. But I think the Lin signing was a mistake. Dragic is a good defender that won't backdown. Lin is the opposite

Had they not signed Lin they would have had as close to a perfect off-season as you can get imo.

imdaman99
04-24-2013, 11:27 PM
lin was signed to get them back to the international fame years they had with yao.

Fudge
What was his contract like again? Was it like 3 years 25 mill? or something along those lines.

Fallen Angel
I've been saying since the beginning, signing Lin was a mistake, and I'm not just saying that because of the past 2 games. He's been average at best, Houston should have kept Dragic.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Had they not signed Lin they would have had as close to a perfect off-season as you can get imo.
Agreed. I just never got the signing. Unless Houston's owner wanted Lin for marketing purposes.

B4llin
04-24-2013, 11:28 PM
The worst thing about Lin is he had a run of good games and never played again until after he got a contract.

He knew it was a fluke and he would have been exposed before he could get paid for his fluke of good games. Houston got played and it's unfair. And I'm an OKC fan but still would have liked to have preferred to see Harden play next to Lowry or Dragic than Lin.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:29 PM
What was his contract like again? Was it like 3 years 25 mill? or something along those lines.
That sounds right. Pretty sure the 3rd year is backloaded

KyleKong
04-24-2013, 11:32 PM
If Lin doesn't have a bounce back season for 2013-2014 I feel really bad for Houston.

Lateralus
04-24-2013, 11:33 PM
I've been saying since the beginning, signing Lin was a mistake, and I'm not just saying that because of the past 2 games. He's been average at best, Houston should have kept Dragic.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

They should have coughed up the money to Dragic, he would at least give you what he is worth, smh.

coin24
04-24-2013, 11:33 PM
No shit, Lin sucks. Always has.

Only idiot melo haters thought otherwise. Remember when they thought melo was holding Lin back:roll: :roll: :roll:

ClutchOver9000
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Him leaving was a blessing in disguise for the Knicks

Fudge
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM
That sounds right. Pretty sure the 3rd year is backloaded
Yeah, close to 15 mill the 3rd year.

:biggums:

andremiller07
04-24-2013, 11:35 PM

They should have coughed up the money to Dragic, he would at least give you what he is worth, smh.
Would have been better off even if they didn't want to pay Dragic to just keep Douglas/Beverly (for cheap as) the defense in that backcourt :bowdown: , but yeah ideally keeping Dragic would have been beast.

Fallen Angel
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM

Lets not overrate Dragic either. He's been pretty inconsistent throughout his career as well. Remember, Phoenix traded him to Houston for Aaron Brooks. There's a reason for that.

With that said, letting Dragic walk was a mistake. Letting him walk and signing Lin? That was an even bigger mistake. Morey made a mistake but what can you do. I guess Houston signed him for marketing reasons? Not worth it IMO.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Yeah, close to 15 mill the 3rd year.

:biggums:
I think it was to hurt the Knicks chances of bringing him back. But they dodged a bullet.

SilkkTheShocker
04-24-2013, 11:39 PM

Houston is still in good shape. I'm not saying Lin ruined everything. But with Dragic, all they really had to worry about was getting their long term 4. But that player maybe on the roster already

VIP2000
04-24-2013, 11:49 PM
The funny thing is that Houston had all three at one point. Lin was on the Rockets briefly last year before getting waived and getting picked up by the Knicks..

HoopDreams247
04-25-2013, 12:30 AM
So 13.4 ppg 6.1 ast and 3 reb 44/34/77 is a bad line for a first year starting PG?

Strong idiots ITT

B4llin
04-25-2013, 01:02 AM
So 13.4 ppg 6.1 ast and 3 reb 44/34/77 is a bad line for a first year starting PG?

Strong idiots ITT

Maybe not, but the fact is that Lin is not the best fit, or even the better player than the guys he is playing ahead of. And its just because of his race.

PotOdds
04-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Geez a bunch of overreaction to his first playoff game. Lin was very solid after first 2 months. Numbers would have been better if not for the first 2 months but he was still getting comfortable with his new team and the after-effects of Linsanity.

Dragic got 3 yrs of experience over Lin and Lin's number were somewhat comparable even with the first 2 months. Lin is going to develop into a better scorer than Dragic.

MiseryCityTexas
04-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Lin is a crappy PG for the most part. The whole Linsanity thing was cool but he's fallen off a cliff since then.

I was completely shocked when the Knicks didn't vastly overpay for him. Smartest thing the Knicks have done in years. Usually the Knicks are the ones overpaying players who had a few good games.

Yep and the Rockets are usually the ones saving money getting rid of players looking for a max deal.

MiseryCityTexas
04-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Agreed. I just never got the signing. Unless Houston's owner wanted Lin for marketing purposes.

Bingo. Houston has a large asian/ foreign community. Morey is all about putting fans in seats at any cost.

MiseryCityTexas
04-25-2013, 01:23 AM

Yep Dragic basically would have made the same amount lin is making now. I think Dragic is making the same amout right now, playing for a garbage ass team. (suns)

Scholar
04-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Lin wasn't signed because he's great. He was signed to replace the gap in Asian viewership left behind after Yao Ming retired.

I kid.

bdreason
04-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Do Lowry or Dragic bring millions of fans from Asia?

Xsatyr
04-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Only one of these pgs can be featured on 60 Minutes. I think we all know why Morey signed Lin. Cash cow...

FKAri
04-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Lowry's had a disappointing season.

Shepseskaf
04-25-2013, 01:53 AM
I think we all know why Morey signed Lin. Cash cow...
People keep posting that Lin has been some kind of financial windfall for Houston. Does anyone have any actual proof of this?

Can any jump in ticket sales can be attributed to Lin himself? Have the Rockets' tv ratings in Asian countries enormously increased? Jersey sales? Anything?

Xsatyr
04-25-2013, 02:00 AM
People keep posting that Lin has been some kind of financial windfall for Houston. Does anyone have any actual proof of this?

Can any jump in ticket sales can be attributed to Lin himself? Have the Rockets' tv ratings in Asian countries enormously increased? Jersey sales? Anything?

No one is saying the strategy has paid off but that it was Morey's motivation. Lowry and Dragic are better than Lin atm but he went after Lin.

Shepseskaf
04-25-2013, 02:06 AM
No one is saying the strategy has paid off but that it was Morey's motivation. Lowry and Dragic are better than Lin atm but he went after Lin.
No, actually people have posted as though the Lin cash machine is already in effect. I'm not saying you did, but others have.

Its obvious why Morey signed Lin, but I'd really like to know if the strategy really has paid off.

Xsatyr
04-25-2013, 02:13 AM
No, actually people have posted as though the Lin cash machine is already in effect. I'm not saying you did, but others have.

Its obvious why Morey signed Lin, but I'd really like to know if the strategy really has paid off.

Not in this thread. Posters just mentioned how marketable he is bc his International fame. No one said with certainty the Rockets are already making money off him.

bdreason
04-25-2013, 02:15 AM

The Rockets owner has some major connections in China, and markets the Rockets there more than any other team in the NBA. MCombs also owns a company called Rocket Capital, which is a Houston-based private investment company that specializes in investments in emerging markets. The company has a strong focus on the China region.

I have no idea how much it actually pays off to sign these popular asian players though.

PotOdds
04-25-2013, 02:18 AM
No, not even in NY. There was an increase in viewership and lots of jerseys sold but Linsanity didn't last long enough for the cash to really start flowing.

Houston took a chance that Lin would come somewhat close to Knicks numbers but then Harden became the main focus. The real money would taken some time with the stipulation that Lin could put up some decent numbers. For people to say Rockets only wanted Lin because of race is plain stupid, no one gave a crap about Wang Zhizhi or Yi Jianlian cuz they weren't very good.

SilkkTheShocker
04-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Strong idiots ITT

He sucks dude. The guy plays scared for Christ's sake.

Mr Exlax
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Well let's see. Lowry wanted to go because he didn't get along with McHale. Dragic wanted a player option and we don't do that. We ended up with Harden out of all that. Good move Morey. We got Lin for the money he'd generate. Rockets got connections heavy in China.

LikeABosh
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Mario MOther****ing Chalmers.

SilkkTheShocker
04-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Well let's see. Lowry wanted to go because he didn't get along with McHale. Dragic wanted a player option and we don't do that. We ended up with Harden out of all that. Good move Morey. We got Lin for the money he'd generate. Rockets got connections heavy in China.

Its a good move if you want to sell tickets. A bad one if want to make your team as good as it can be. From the perspective of a fan, it was a bad move. Lin sucks.

wagexslave
04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
lol Houston's owner just wanted to be able to put more Chinese ads all around his stadium and get that China monayyyyyyyyyyy

theBIGjabroni
04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Do Lowry or Dragic bring millions of fans from Asia?
no and neither can lin retard

Mr Exlax
04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Its a good move if you want to sell tickets. A bad one if want to make your team as good as it can be. From the perspective of a fan, it was a bad move. Lin sucks.

Bro I think you totally glazed over the two reasons I gave you before Lin was even signed.
Lowry wanted out
Dragic wanted a player option and we don't do those.

SmackOrH.A.K
04-25-2013, 02:25 PM
If we didn't trade Lowry we wouldn't have gotten the Toronto pick which was a key piece in trading for Harden.

Fallen Angel
04-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Bro I think you totally glazed over the two reasons I gave you before Lin was even signed.
Lowry wanted out
Dragic wanted a player option and we don't do those.

You should have.

stevieming
04-25-2013, 06:45 PM
damn Lin getting more hate....

Lin will improve, come on support an asian brother!!

I do wish he would play more nasty against westbrook....too timid and now he's guarding Thabo....

TheAesirsFinest
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM

I don't have any numbers for you, but I've seen a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese ads at the Toyota Center and suspect a significant part of the Rockets' support this year despite being blacked out on non-Comcast networks has to do with Lin. Unfortunately, I can't really give you a comparison of the crowd demographics to previous years. I've only recently been able to go to Rockets games due to my aunt's Taiwanese company purchasing season tickets this year.

04-25-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't have any numbers for you, but I've seen a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese ads at the Toyota Center and suspect a significant part of the Rockets' support this year despite being blacked out on non-Comcast networks has to do with Lin. Unfortunately, I can't really give you a comparison of the crowd demographics to previous years. I've only recently been able to go to Rockets games due to my aunt's Taiwanese company purchasing season tickets this year.

I'm with you on that.

if China/Taiwan can even get 1 million fan to watch one Rockets game (because of Lin) for the single league of US$5 per game, that's $5 million right there for that one game. There are 82 games in one regular season. In addition to the jersey sales (authentic/swingman/replica), that $8 mil/year pays for itself in the long run.

klee
04-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Not that I disagree with most of the things stated in this thread, but I think we need to take into account another factor. Lin's style as a PG clearly clashes with the direction Mchale is trying to go. It seems he's playing "scared" because Mchale has his number and sits the guy if he's ever trying to be "Linsanity" Jeremy Lin--it's a shame because I feel a good coach should always play to the stong suits of his players' arsenal, rather than trying to fit players into a predetermined agenda.

A lot of great point guards are strictly good at what they do and the system they can create. If you're hoping for a PG you can mold to cater to the type of offense you want to run as a coach and that notion diverges with the PG's playstyle, it doesn't matter how good they are it just won't work out. (e.g., it just isn't ideal to have Steve Nash play the Westbrook role, or Derrick rose play the Stockton role.)

And last but not least, the guy is having a couple poor playoff performances no doubt. But he's had a decent enough 1st season with the Rockets that I don't think it calls for us to whip out our flaming torches and pitchforks on him quite yet.

Lateralus
04-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Not that I disagree with most of the things stated in this thread, but I think we need to take into account another factor. Lin's style as a PG clearly clashes with the direction Mchale is trying to go. It seems he's playing "scared" because Mchale has his number and sits the guy if he's ever trying to be "Linsanity" Jeremy Lin--it's a shame because I feel a good coach should always play to the stong suits of his players' arsenal, rather than trying to fit players into a predetermined agenda.

A lot of great point guards are strictly good at what they do and the system they can create. If you're hoping for a PG you can mold to cater to the type of offense you want to run as a coach and that notion diverges with the PG's playstyle, it doesn't matter how good they are it just won't work out. (e.g., it just isn't ideal to have Steve Nash play the Westbrook role, or Derrick rose play the Stockton role.)

And last but not least, the guy is having a couple poor playoff performances no doubt. But he's had a decent enough 1st season with the Rockets that I don't think it calls for us to whip out our flaming torches and pitchforks on him quite yet.

It's been a very average season.

longtime lurker
04-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Trading Lowry to make room for Dragic then let Dragic leave? It's a head scratching move the Rockets pulled.

MiseryCityTexas
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
really not a head scratching move. Morey just signed Lin because asians will pay to watch their own race play basketball in a heartbeat. Houston has a large Asian Community. Matter of fact, Houston has like three separate town/neighborhoods full of Asian people as the majority.

bluechox2
05-10-2013, 06:53 PM
they shud make lin the backup and get a better stable option at pg

KungFuJoe
05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
This thread is LOL worthy.

13.5/6/3 on 44% shooting in his first full season with a brand new team playing PG for a coach that is pretty openly biased against him and playing opposite the biggest ball stopping chucker (not named Kobe) in the league?

Yeah...not jumping the gun here at all...