PDA

View Full Version : Bill Russell thinks Bob Pettit is a top 7 player, is he crazy?

jongib369
04-25-2013, 03:35 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Mj6UfxZP9NE/Ta0RvOmlUuI/AAAAAAAAPRM/4lDrwzDxrm4/s1600/billrussell-rings.jpg

http://youtu.be/kdd2biHVlyA?t=6m44s

Most of you don't have Pettit in your top 15, let alone 7.... Who hear knows as much about Basketball/Bob Pettit as Bill to argue against him?

Count me out

http://stlsportshistory.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bob_pettit_5-229x300.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMehNZqGo7w :applause:

Pettit shoots over Wilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4FzfjDUT1Q

michaelray
04-25-2013, 03:52 AM
As the only two superstar that have beaten Bill in a Series,he gets a nod.

When the greatest winner in sports history say so,you have to listen.

Legends66NBA7
04-25-2013, 03:53 AM
Well, just going off on the accolades and stats... It's a very good resume. 11 All-NBA teams, 10 straight First teams, 3rd all-time in rebounding in the regular season and playoffs (behind only Wilt and Russell), 2x Scoring Champ, 2x MVP, great overall stats in the regular season and playoffs (his fg% relative to era is pretty high).

Also, does have a ring (the only time the Hawks franchise ever won a title) in 1958, although it did come against a Celtic team that did have Russell miss the rest of the series. One could even argue that he was the best player of the 50's era.

But, some will point that his era wasn't very strong compared to others and that his position wasn't the deepest at the time, which I disagree with. Bob Pettit surely does deserve a spot in the Top 15-20 of all-time, but I see it hard to rank him in the Top 10... It's an opinion, so I'll let Russell be on it.

ThaRegul8r
04-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Most of you don't have Pettit in your top 15, let alone 7.... Who hear knows as much about Basketball/Bob Pettit as Bill to argue against him?

I'm not sure what the point would be in taking time out of my life to argue against someone, or exactly what I would have to gain from it. I think it's silly.

But this should be used as an opportunity to talk about a past great who isn't really talked about than to make a thread asking "x thinks Bob Pettit is a top 7 player, is he crazy?", when one should know full well that "most people" will reply in the affirmative (to the latter half of the question, not the former), dismiss it, and ridicule the person who said it. While you said you wouldn't argue against it, nevertheless the question is phrased so that "most people" on internet basketball message boards will reply, "Yes, he's crazy," and not in those words.

HeatFanSince88
04-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Bill Russells entire top 7 is prolly all guys that played in his era. i bet he has cousy in there too. why would I give a *** what he thinks? Most explayers are terrible judges of talent. Michael Jordans done a great job managing franchises hasn't he?

Poetry
04-25-2013, 04:32 AM
http://youtu.be/kdd2biHVlyA?t=6m44s

Wilt wanted to put Barkley on his list :pimp:

ThaRegul8r
04-25-2013, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure what the point would be in taking time out of my life to argue against someone, or exactly what I would have to gain from it. I think it's silly.

But this should be used as an opportunity to talk about a past great who isn't really talked about than to make a thread asking "x thinks Bob Pettit is a top 7 player, is he crazy?", when one should know full well that "most people" will reply in the affirmative (to the latter half of the question, not the former), dismiss it, and ridicule the person who said it. While you said you wouldn't argue against it, nevertheless the question is phrased so that "most people" on internet basketball message boards will reply, "Yes, he's crazy," and not in those words.

Case in point:

Bill Russells entire top 7 is prolly all guys that played in his era. i bet he has cousy in there too. why would I give a *** what he thinks?

Five minutes after I posted it. People are largely rather predictable.

I know I shouldn't bother, as facts don't matter, but purely for the sake of factual accuracy, no, his "ties" that he's always referred to aren't "all guys that played in his era." Jordan, Magic and Bird have always been among his "ties" who "no one could play better than," and no, Cousy has never been listed among them.

Collie
04-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Has there any other ATG who has been as forgotten as Bob Pettit? He has accolades right up there with other top 15 guys, but you rarely see anyone talk about him. He played and competed with guys like Wilt and Russell, and did well against them too. Probably the most underrated all time great.

BoutPractice
04-25-2013, 04:37 AM
Since Bill Russell played in the 60s, it's not at all surprising he would rank Pettit so highly.

Based on his resume and individual dominance, Bob Pettit was a top 5/top 6 player of all time from the 50s to the 70s. At one point he may have been the second best of all time.
Since the 70s only really brought us Kareem and Dr. J as dominant superstars to be remembered for decades, he was probably top 10 until at least the 80s.
But since then we've had Magic, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, LeBron... Simply too much competition.

He's still top 15 to 20, but it is very much possible to surpass his resume (compared to Russell or Wilt for instance, who achieved things that probably will never be achieved again), so he'll likely continue to drop.

LAZERUSS
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
I too tend to forget about Pettit in these all-time great discussions. His resume should put him in the 10-20 range.

And slightly off topic, I just don't know where to rank Mikan, who dominated before the shot-clock era, and basically played in an NBA before real integration.

At least Pettit was able to continue his brilliant play into the much more established 60's.

SilkkTheShocker
04-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Bob Petit in today's era: manager at Denny's

kNicKz
04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Bill Russells entire top 7 is prolly all guys that played in his era. i bet he has cousy in there too. why would I give a *** what he thinks? Most explayers are terrible judges of talent. Michael Jordans done a great job managing franchises hasn't he?

april 2013 :facepalm

Psileas
04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Russell doesn't "think" Pettit is a top-7 player. He mentioned him as an 8th-9th greatest, along with Olajuwon, and this happened back in 1997, so, before Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, Garnett, Dirk and, practically, before Shaq, too. Still not a popular choice, but a more realistic take than what the title suggests.

Bill Russells entire top 7 is prolly all guys that played in his era. i bet he has cousy in there too. why would I give a *** what he thinks?

Yeah, you definitely spent this 1' required to view the segment...

La Frescobaldi
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Obviously you didn't even watch the YouTube film.
Quite the inquiring mind, HeatfansinceApril2013.

Round Mound
04-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Wilt wanted to put Barkley on his list :pimp:

Dominance and Efficiency! :applause:

pauk
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Nah... but maybe top 20, he has 2 MVPs, a Championship and was a 10 x 1st all-nba team guy afterall putting up nice numbers...

Euroleague
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM

I remember seeing an interview of Russell once, where he was asked to name the 5 best players in NBA history and that he could not pick himself or Chamberlain.

He mentioned these guys (not in any order)

Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Olajuwon.

So I don't think his top 7 is just guys from his era.

CavaliersFTW
04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
How bout as a thread title next time; "Bill Russell has Bob Pettit in his all-time top 7 players; thoughts?"

Using Bill Russell and "crazy" in a suggestive Fox-News thread title just doesn't seem justified considering Bill Russell's achievements and wisdom, makes it sound like you want people to call Bill Russell crazy lol! But anywho I've always noticed players tend to rank other players (unless of course they're getting paid to talk and "promote" via an ESPN or NBAtv script) based solely on their ABILITY not accolades. And as such, perhaps Bob Pettit's abilities are up there with the best players the great Bill Russell has ever seen. Pettit did clinch a title over Bill Russell's team with an epic 50 point NBA Finals performance afterall - which is pretty remarkable.

feyki
02-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Top 15 is more fair .

jongib369
02-14-2016, 04:37 PM
How bout as a thread title next time; "Bill Russell has Bob Pettit in his all-time top 7 players; thoughts?"

Using Bill Russell and "crazy" in a suggestive Fox-News thread title just doesn't seem justified considering Bill Russell's achievements and wisdom, makes it sound like you want people to call Bill Russell crazy lol! But anywho I've always noticed players tend to rank other players (unless of course they're getting paid to talk and "promote" via an ESPN or NBAtv script) based solely on their ABILITY not accolades. And as such, perhaps Bob Pettit's abilities are up there with the best players the great Bill Russell has ever seen. Pettit did clinch a title over Bill Russell's team with an epic 50 point NBA Finals performance afterall - which is pretty remarkable.
Cracking up at how I used to title my threads to grab attention.

My thought was if I said something like this, trolls would jump on it making supporters of Pettits skills prove his place in history that much more.

AngelEyes
02-14-2016, 04:43 PM
What is this Bob Pettit day?

feyki
02-14-2016, 05:24 PM
What is this Bob Pettit day?

Ahaha :D .

theaussieguy
02-14-2016, 05:39 PM
basketball was a joke of a sport back then honestly

STATUTORY
02-14-2016, 05:42 PM
dat elevation

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/teamsites/images/legacy/hawks/pettit_action_032905_170.jpg

AngelEyes
02-14-2016, 05:43 PM
dat elevation

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/teamsites/images/legacy/hawks/pettit_action_032905_170.jpg

If you watch his highlights he actually does look pretty damn agile for a 6'8", 6'9" dude. He appears much more legit than Mikan.

STATUTORY
02-14-2016, 05:50 PM
If you watch his highlights he actually does look pretty damn agile for a 6'8", 6'9" dude. He appears much more legit than Mikan.

in your opinion how would his game project to the current league?

AngelEyes
02-14-2016, 05:58 PM

I think he would be a rugged power forward in today's league who's biggest plus would be his rebounding. I could see him being a consistent double double guy from year to year. Do I think he would be ALL NBA? Hell no.

feyki
02-14-2016, 06:01 PM

Why he would in todays game ? You can comparison about physicality or skills 60's versus todays players . But Why 60's players must would in todays ? I don't understand that . Why would Shaq in 130 pace 60's ? Or Non-athletic Cousins ?

AngelEyes
02-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Why he would in todays game ? You can comparison about physicality or skills 60's versus todays players . But Why 60's players must would in todays ? I don't understand that . Why would Shaq in 130 pace 60's ? Or Non-athletic Cousins ?

For a man with his girth Cousins is quite athletic and skilled.

feyki
02-14-2016, 06:04 PM
For a man with his girth Cousins is quite athletic and skilled.

Yes , With worse vertical leap than Bird .

AngelEyes
02-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Yes , With worse vertical leap than Bird .

And we're positive those numbers are entirely accurate? Cousins never looks like he has any problem throwing it down.

STATUTORY
02-14-2016, 06:08 PM

just a hypothetical scenario to entertain chief, no need to be upset

feyki
02-14-2016, 06:15 PM
AngelEyes ; I think he has . Think him with Shaq's leaping ability .

Statutory ;

Don't get personally . Everybody talk about that stuff . My response just generally .

aj1987
02-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Nope. Not even close to being top 7. More like top 30.

jstern
02-14-2016, 07:00 PM
I watched this old Bob Pettit interview a couple of years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEoRCDKJtk

It's always interesting to think that there were guys back in the 40s, 50s, competing and really wanting to win decades before I was even born.

He also talks about the 3 point line. Says that he doesn't like to see guys just standing around, but that the shot is sometimes necessary.

It's also interesting how this old guy was an NBA MVP, leading scorer, rebounder, yet after 3 years that interview only has 643 views.

tripledouble55
05-12-2019, 01:49 PM
I don't know how much Bill Russell was actually primarily guarding Bob Pettit, but a few things stand out. Pettit did better against the Celtics and the Celtics in the playoffs than he did in the regular season and against other teams in general. That's notable, obviously for the Bill Russell bit -- even if not primarily guarding Pettit as the Celtics, had far and away the #1 ranked defensive team in those seasons with Russell. So it's very noteworthy that Pettit's numbers went up in those cases.

Here's some of the boxscores on BBREF for the H2H of Pettit vs Russell.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Bob+Pettit&player_id1_select=Bob+Pettit&player_id1=pettibo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Bill+Russell&player_id2_select=Bill+Russell&player_id2=russebi01&idx=players