PDA

View Full Version : How is Zach Randolph such a beast?

L8krH8tr
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
this guy cant even jump off the ground and hes a freaking monster. who would of thought he would be one of the most potent offensive guys in the league when he wants to be.

LikeABosh
04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
It's pretty unreal how shitty of an athlete he is yet he manages to be so productive.

Trentknicks
04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Protein shakes.

toooo
04-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Protein shakes.
:applause:

b0bab0i
04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
He's got that soft touch to put the ball in the hoop.

Trentknicks
04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Inb4 Peds

JerryWest
04-25-2013, 11:57 PM
peds

andgar923
04-25-2013, 11:58 PM
this guy cant even jump off the ground and hes a freaking monster. who would of thought he would be one of the most potent offensive guys in the league when he wants to be.
He's got an old school game. People get caught up with athletic players because its fun to watch, but it's extremely overrated. In fact the best big men today aren't athletic at all.

CavaliersFTW
04-26-2013, 12:02 AM
He's got an old school game. People get caught up with athletic players because its fun to watch, but it's extremely overrated. In fact the best big men today aren't athletic at all.
This.

Oldschool game >>>>> "freak athlete" game any day of the week. That's why guys like Larry Bird made everyone else look stupid with simple pump fakes and 4" jab steps.

Zach Randolph reminds me a lot of this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqyEb-MgPAs

jzek
04-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Maybe he's a wizard.

RoseCity07
04-26-2013, 12:04 AM
He knows how to use his body really well. Plus left handers are hard to stop.

B4llin
04-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Just like Felton's goofy non-athletic ass. If Felton can do it, Z-Bo can.

OT: I hate Felton for crying/eating his way back to new york

Levity
04-26-2013, 12:18 AM
He plays like the old fat guys at the gym that can still ball. He knows how to use his body, and where the ball will come off the rim. A dangerous combination when used correctly.

TylerOO
04-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Maybe he's a wizard.

I dont know why but this made me actually laugh out loud

All Net
04-26-2013, 01:33 AM
He has these things called post moves..does wonders for bigs.

KG215
04-26-2013, 01:45 AM
This.

Oldschool game >>>>> "freak athlete" game any day of the week. That's why guys like Larry Bird made everyone else look stupid with simple pump fakes and 4" jab steps.

Zach Randolph reminds me a lot of this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqyEb-MgPAs
I think Z-Bo is the perfect player to point to when people say guys like Bird, Bob Pettit, Dave Cowens, and other former elite smallish PF's/C's with very little athletic ability couldn't make it in today's NBA.

Randolp is, what, 6'8"? And I'm not sure he can jump over a phone book, but he's an incredible player, and he always has been throughout his career when his head was on straight and he was motivated.

Jyap9675
04-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Perfect example of a player not relying on athleticism unlike some guy named Blak.. Gr.. Forgot his name

CeltsGarlic
04-26-2013, 07:03 AM
We see this thread every year when grizz gets to the playoffs and people actually watch them for the first time in a season.

True story.

TaLvsCuaL
04-26-2013, 08:05 AM
We see this thread every year when grizz gets to the playoffs and people actually watch them for the first time in a season.

True story.
So true :applause:

Ancient Legend
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM

True story.

And every year they get eliminated well short of the finals.

leopoldstotch
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Andre Miller, Ray Felton, and Z-Bo fall in the same group "How do they get all these points?"

STATUTORY
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
He's got that soft pouch around his stomach.

:applause:

dude shaped like a kangaroo

Element
04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Felton unathletic? For real? Dude had Lawson quickness at one point, even current Fatton is like lightning compared to most players

No_Look604
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
He's a baller baby....this ain't Lebron and Dwight...can't post up for sh**t

longtime lurker
04-26-2013, 09:56 AM
It's pretty unreal how shitty of an athlete he is yet he manages to be so productive.

Skills>>than athleticism

Psileas
04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
I think Z-Bo is the perfect player to point to when people say guys like Bird, Bob Pettit, Dave Cowens, and other former elite smallish PF's/C's with very little athletic ability couldn't make it in today's NBA.

Randolp is, what, 6'8"? And I'm not sure he can jump over a phone book, but he's an incredible player, and he always has been throughout his career when his head was on straight and he was motivated.

Casual fans can't grasp that the majority of the game is still played below the rim. All they see is guys flying for a spectacular dunk or block or trying to exlosively drive to the hoop, yet ignore that 1) most of the time, shots are not highly contested and therefore unlikely to get blocked, regardless of the athleticism of the shooter, 2) for a preferably tall and coordinated defender, dunks are blockable and 3) by positioning yourself in a smart way, you can block the path of a superior athlete and make him waste valuable seconds. That's how a team like the Spurs can have dominant defenses while being mediocre athletically.

MJ(Mean John)
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
That's why I've always loved zbos game.
I'm not even sure he can dunk. Lol
But there he is, playing his heart out dropping 20/10. A legit big.
Too much swagg.

I have Memphis over clippers. I put $100 over it

Bugz
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
How the **** is Felton unathletic

The guy is kinda chubby but is freaking fast and can jump

An unathletic scorer is someone more like Melo. Altho he is very quick.

longtime lurker
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Casual fans can't grasp that the majority of the game is still played below the rim. All they see is guys flying for a spectacular dunk or block or trying to exlosively drive to the hoop, yet ignore that 1) most of the time, shots are not highly contested and therefore unlikely to get blocked, regardless of the athleticism of the shooter, 2) for a preferably tall and coordinated defender, dunks are blockable and 3) by positioning yourself in a smart way, you can block the path of a superior athlete and make him waste valuable seconds. That's how a team like the Spurs can have dominant defenses while being mediocre athletically.

So knowing all this. Why is Brook Lopez such a bad rebounder?

Bugz
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
That's why I've always loved zbos game.
I'm not even sure he can dunk. Lol
But there he is, playing his heart out dropping 20/10. A legit big.
Too much swagg.

I have Memphis over clippers. I put $100 over it

I would love to bet wit u if ur dumb enuff to think a 6'8 guy cant dunk :facepalm

Shitt, zbo dunked last game :facepalm

Goldrush25
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM

Kenny Smith said it best last night; Some people can jump over a building, but when you learn that you can open the door and walk through a building the game comes to you much easier. Zach Randolph knows how to play ball efficiently for his size. It's foot work, having an array of post moves, and basketball IQ.

There's countless scrubs in the NBA that can jump out of the building and don't know how to play the game, at all.

MJ(Mean John)
04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I would love to bet wit u if ur dumb enuff to think a 6'8 guy cant dunk :facepalm

Shitt, zbo dunked last game :facepalm

It was a joke, dumbass.

IGotACoolStory
04-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I think because nearly all of us aren't 6-9 260 (or whatever Zbo is) we don't realize how good of an athlete you have to be to have that kind of coordination, agility, strength, and body control at that size. I would bet most of us would trip over our own feet trying to copy some of Randolph's post moves with a defender on our ass.

Yeah he can't dunk his own face in the rim, but he's an average NBA athlete imo.

Aaron Gray is a shitty NBA athlete.

RidonKs
04-26-2013, 01:10 PM
love randolph. i was scrimmaging at the gym a few weeks ago and there was a guy there who had the headband, bald head, everything - looked and played identical to z-bo. i actually had to guard him for a game... i play bigger than i am but im not particularly strong, this guy just walked all over me. positioned wherever he wanted to outside 6 ft, had a silky jumper out to at least 18 ft so i had to get up on him, which opened up every option he needed to walk right past me. and all else fails and i play him really well, dude just bullies me inside for an easy floater/banker.

couple aspects of his game i appreciate that haven't (i dont think) been mentioned

1. quick hands. this usually goes under labels like "nose for the ball" or "instincts", which definitely play into it. but you can see with certain players that whenever there's a loose ball and a scrum to recover, they're typically the ones who come up with it. a few names that come to mind are chris paul, anderson varejao, antawn jamison is underrated in this respect, noah is another

2. absurd confidence level. this is more standard around the league but randolph has it to an obscene degree. just talkin about the shooters mentality, like "im always gonna make the next one". he is NEVER afraid to keep taking it to the bucket, he'll break down his man or pop a fadeaway 20 footer on instinct/adrenaline alone, no hesitation. this is a major double edged sword especially late in games but it makes him who he is

3. not afraid to bend the rules. this is another facet z-bo's game shares with chris paul's. both these guys are a joy to watch because of how crafty they are in knowing what they can get away with and always creeping right up to that point but being careful not to go past. im sure it pisses a lot of their opponents off too which is just a bonus

stephanieg
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Guys like Duncan and Z-Bo couldn't play in this era. Too much athleticism nowadays, plus they couldn't post up because of zone.

CavaliersFTW
04-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Guys like Duncan and Z-Bo couldn't play in this era. Too much athleticism nowadays, plus they couldn't post up because of zone.
Plus because Duncan was so dominant, it makes you question the level of his competition. They all must have been even less athletic than he was.

jlip
04-26-2013, 02:39 PM
I remember some time ago Kareem was talking about the best back to the basket big men in the game and Z-bo was one of the first he mentioned. If I were a younger player who was successful based upon my athleticism I would start studying the games of one of two active players so that I could potentially have a long and effective career post athleticism...If I were a guard, then it would be Andre Miller. If I were a big man then it would be Z-Bo.

jlip
04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Plus because Duncan was so dominant, it makes you question the level of his competition. They all must have been even less athletic than he was.

I think the poster was being sarcastic.

CavaliersFTW
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
I think the poster was being sarcastic.
I know - I was playing along lol

jlip
04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
^Oooops^ My bad then!

stephanieg
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Imagine if Duncan had to play against a freak athlete like Dwight? It'd be a blood bath.

CavaliersFTW
04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Imagine if Duncan had to play against a freak athlete like Dwight? It'd be a blood bath.
Or Blake Griffin :eek: show me ONE highlight of Duncan jumping anywhere NEAR as high as Blake Griffin, just one - that's all I ask. It's called evolution. Athletes are just bigger/faster/stronger - coaching is so much more advanced. Duncan/Zbo wouldn't even be able to get their shot off against these athletes and their modern defenses.

Mr. I'm So Rad
04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Zach Randolph looks a like snowman built using dirty ice that you find cars parked on top of.

Leftimage
04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Zach Randolph looks a like snowman built using dirty ice that you find cars parked on top of.

http://www.wallpapersdesign.net/wallpapers/2012/11/Superhero-Thing-Stone-Fantastic-4-600x960.jpg

Nick Young
04-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I used to love watching him on the Jailblazers when he would go full on black hole mode. Now he passes more and is better, but he was more fun to watch in those days

jamal99
04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
I have a friend with exact same playstyle as Randolph. About 6'5, lefty, non-athletic, uses his body extremely well, soft touch around the basket, solid mid-range. It's hard to guard him even if I'm taller...

devin112
04-26-2013, 05:06 PM
he's been like this for years and years. Hardnosed and great hands