PDA

View Full Version : The NBA is without question Rigged

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
The Bulls were almost robbed by the refs today (this is coming from someone who hates the Bulls) and now the Clippers are getting a disproportionate number of calls in their favor against the Grizzlies.

Batzman
04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Chris PushOff!

aj1987
04-27-2013, 06:26 PM
The Bulls were almost robbed by the refs today (this is coming from someone who hates the Bulls) and now the Clippers are getting a disproportionate number of calls in their favor against the Grizzlies.
Wut? The Clippers attempted only 2 more than the Grizzlies.

Shepseskaf
This has been going on for 30 years! Unless a member of Dictator Stern's inner circle rats him out, nothing will ever happen.

HoopsFanNumero1
I just checked the box score for the Clippers-Grizzlies game and I'm not seeing the disproportionate number of calls.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:28 PM
I just checked the box score for the Clippers-Grizzlies game and I'm not seeing the disproportionate number of calls.

I miss-worded what I meant, the refs are calling ridiculous fouls on Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, which is impacting the game in the favor of the Clippers.

aj1987
04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I miss-worded what I meant, the refs are calling ridiculous fouls on Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, which is impacting the game in the favor of the Clippers.
I'm just checking the box scores but don't the Clippers have more fouls that the Grizzlies? If you're talking about the Clippers getting phantom calls, then I'm sorry. I'm not watching the game.

HoopsFanNumero1
Anyway, influenced is a better way to describe some NBA series as opposed to rigged. I'm sure the league would want the Bulls to make it to the second round as opposed to the Nets. Let's say it's game 7 and Bulls are in a deficit going into the 4th Q. I bet Bulls would start getting all the calls. At the end of the day, the league wants 7 games and the Bulls to proceed to the second round.

DMAVS41
It is not rigged. The number of games that could potentially be called "rigged" could be counted on one hand in the history of the league probably.

Refs are human. They get caught up in the emotion of big crowds, momentum, and player histories/reps.

What people don't understand about "superstar calls" for example...is that you have to earn you way to being a superstar before you get them.

And the NBA would have no interest in seeing the Clips win in 5 games. They want that series going 7 if they had a choice. So that makes no sense.

So accusing the NBA of wanting a series to get cut short makes absolutely no sense at all.

HoopsFanNumero1
04-27-2013, 06:33 PM

I haven't been following the series too closely so I can't say but checking solely from the box score, it doesn't look too bad. I remember Clippers fans were complaining about the officiating in game 3.

Foster5k
04-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Refs basically have an impossible job. They are trying to get every call right. They get most right. That's what matters.

Kurosawa0
04-27-2013, 06:35 PM

I just saw an offensive foul called on Butler because he supposedly knocked Z-Bo to the ground with a slight bump. Come on now. Bad calls happen both ways.

HoopsFanNumero1
It is not rigged. The number of games that could potentially be called "rigged" could be counted on one hand in the history of the league probably.

Refs are human. They get caught up in the emotion of big crowds, momentum, and player histories/reps.

What people don't understand about "superstar calls" for example...is that you have to earn you way to being a superstar before you get them.

And the NBA would have no interest in seeing the Clips win in 5 games. They want that series going 7 if they had a choice. So that makes no sense.

So accusing the NBA of wanting a series to get cut short makes absolutely no sense at all.

Who's accusing the league of that? They usually try to extend series.

qrich

You obviously aren't watching the game and haven't watched the entire series

Shepseskaf
Stop giving them excuses. If the games aren't "rigged", many of them are very heavily "influenced".

And in Bulls-Nets game, if the refs were "caught up in the emotion of big crowds", Chicago would have gotten more calls. The imbalance was obvious.

wang4three
04-27-2013, 06:36 PM
While there were questionable calls in the Nets game, I don't think it was that bad. If you subtract the 8 or so free throws from the hack-a-Reggie/Gerald Wallace strategy that Thibs was doing as well as remember that the Bulls are pretty much a jump shooting team while we were attacking more during regulation, it really makes more sense.

kamil
04-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Has there ever been any kind of investigation into the NBA being rigged?

Foster5k
04-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Stop giving them excuses. If the games aren't "rigged", many of them are very heavily "influenced".

And in Bulls-Nets game, if the refs were "caught up in the emotion of big crowds", Chicago would have gotten more calls. The imbalance was obvious.
Every sport has questionable officiating. Some calls go your way, others don't. You can't say an entire sport is rigged or heavily influenced just because one team received more calls that night than another. You need solid evidence. Such evidence doesn't exist.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Has there ever been any kind of investigation into the NBA being rigged?

Tim Donaghy

bdreason
04-27-2013, 06:43 PM
I wonder, do people like you even enjoy watching basketball? If watching basketball consisted of me complaining about calls all game, and claiming the NBA is rigged... I just wouldn't watch basketball.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Every sport has questionable officiating. Some calls go your way, others don't. You can't say an entire sport is rigged or heavily influenced just because one team received more calls that night than another. You need solid evidence. Such evidence doesn't exist.

No, other sports league's don't have as questionable officiating as the NBA. The NBA without question has the worst officiating out of any major sports league, and is the only sports league that's consistently accused of having biased officiating. Not to mention the whole Tim Donaghy debacle.

DMAVS41
04-27-2013, 06:44 PM

Do you actually understand what you are implying? That the refs get together before certain games...get a call from some NBA high up...telling them to help one team more than the other.

Sorry, I just don't think that happens...and if it did...we would have heard about it. Maybe in the past that happened, but not now. Not after the Donaghy thing. No way in hell would the NBA be so bold to do that now.

It's the nature of the game. Refs have a huge influence and are human beings. They make mistakes, hold grudges against some players, are more likely to call certain fouls in certain situations...etc.

That would be like accusing CJ Watson of having money on the Bulls and saying he purposely missed that dunk. People make mistakes...even the best. One of the best basketball players in the world missed a wide open dunk. We make room for that in our analysis of the game, but we don't make room for refs just having a bad night or seeing something wrong.

Which one do you honestly think is more likely?

Shepseskaf
04-27-2013, 06:46 PM
The evidence is voluminous. It "doesn't exist" only if you bury your head in the sand and refuse to deal with reality.

The "influencing" of games has been going on for decades. Its what has caused the popular perception that the NBA is rigged. Some examples are more blatant than others, such as Kings-Lakers Gam6 WCF in 2002.

You've already had a ref scandal with Donaghey that should have been much, much bigger. He wasn't the only crooked official, that much is certain.

Go find that YouTube video showing the unbalanced calls the Lakers got during their playoff push this year.

Shepseskaf
04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Do you actually understand what you are implying?
I know very well what I'm implying. What, are you working with the league office or something?

You're not a dumb guy. You've read all the threads about biased officiating. You've seen the games where its occurred.

This situation is a pattern over decades, not a random sample of "human errors".

Foster5k
04-27-2013, 06:50 PM
No, other sports league's don't have as questionable officiating as the NBA. The NBA without question has the worst officiating out of any major sports league, and is the only sports league that's consistently accused of having biased officiating. Not to mention the whole Tim Donaghy debacle.
You must never watch the NFL. In almost every big game fans/players/analyst/etc argue about what calls were made and weren't made. I would lose count at how many people actually think the NFL is rigged. So, like I said, in every sport you will find people arguing about officiating. Why? Because officiating a game perfectly is impossible. They do the best job they can do. Think you could do better? Look at what happened to the replacement refs the NFL hired during the ref lockout. They sucked it up big time. They're doing the best they can. Not going to get every call right.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Do you actually understand what you are implying? That the refs get together before certain games...get a call from some NBA high up...telling them to help one team more than the other.

Sorry, I just don't think that happens...and if it did...we would have heard about it. Maybe in the past that happened, but not now. Not after the Donaghy thing. No way in hell would the NBA be so bold to do that now.

It's the nature of the game. Refs have a huge influence and are human beings. They make mistakes, hold grudges against some players, are more likely to call certain fouls in certain situations...etc.

That would be like accusing CJ Watson of having money on the Bulls and saying he purposely missed that dunk. People make mistakes...even the best. One of the best basketball players in the world missed a wide open dunk. We make room for that in our analysis of the game, but we don't make room for refs just having a bad night or seeing something wrong.

stfu, out of all fans, I can't believe a "Mavericks fan" is saying otherwise. The Mavs were robbed of a title in 2006 because the league wanted to create a "star" in Dwyane Wade. It's getting more and more ridiculous as seasons pass by. In 2002 the Kings were also robbed of a title because the league wanted to protect TV ratings.

Dirk Nowitzki should be a two-time NBA Champion and a two-time Finals MVP, not a one-time NBA Champion and a one-time NBA Finals MVP.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:53 PM
You must never watch the NFL. In almost every big game fans/players/analyst/etc argue about what calls were made and weren't made. I would lose count at how many people actually think the NFL is rigged. So, like I said, in every sport you will find people arguing about officiating. Why? Because officiating a game perfectly is impossible. They do the best job they can do. Think you could do better? Look at what happened to the replacement refs the NFL hired during the ref lockout. They sucked it up big time. They're doing the best they can. Not going to get every call right.

No, I watch almost all the NFL games every year, huge NY Giants fan, the NFL doesn't have as nearly as many bad calls as the NBA does. Moreover, the NFL gets most if the calls right.

livinglegend
04-27-2013, 06:53 PM

You know something is wrong when all the mistakes they make favors one team ( Lakers during their playoffs run).

And as far as the Nets-Bulls game goes, the refs helped Chicago in their comeback. Gifted Robinson 3 fts, and also they call a 5 seconds violation on Nets when it s even 5 seconds and they also called after they inbounded the ball. BUt they evened out things in overtime.

kamil
04-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Tim Donaghy

I know of that, but it doesn't seem like it stopped anything rigging, just look at the last 10 games of the regular season for the Lakers this year.

Everytime they get a ton of favourable calls, its never taken seriously.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I know of that, but it doesn't seem like it stopped anything rigging, just look at the last 10 games of the regular season for the Lakers this year.

The NBA has become the WWE, it's all about "entertainment". Quite frankly it's become unbearably disgusting and ridiculous.

DMAVS41
04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
stfu, out of all fans, I can't believe a "Mavericks fan" is saying otherwise. The Mavs were robbed of a title in 2006 because the league wanted to create a "star" in Dwyane Wade. It's getting more and more ridiculous as seasons pass by. In 2002 the Kings were also robbed of a title because the league wanted to protect TV ratings.

Dirk Nowitzki should be a two-time NBA Champion and a two-time Finals MVP, not a one-time NBA Champion and a one-time NBA Finals MVP.

I can see arguments about past stuff, but I don't buy them post Donaghy. The risk is just absolutely not worth the reward.

If it came out now that the NBA was rigging games. The league would be ruined forever.

HoopsFanNumero1
04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I wonder, do people like you even enjoy watching basketball? If watching basketball consisted of me complaining about calls all game, and claiming the NBA is rigged... I just wouldn't watch basketball.

It's my favorite sport so I love watching it. But in certain games the refs take away from the excitement. How did you feel about the last Lakers-Warriors game this season?

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:57 PM

The Celtics were robbed of a title in 2010 and even I, as a Celtics hater, admit this. The Lakers in the 4th quarter of game 7 of that series were getting ridiculous calls in their favor.

Shepseskaf
04-27-2013, 06:57 PM
You must never watch the NFL.
I watch the NFL all the time in-season. There is no way, shape or form the same amount of skepticism surrounding NFL official as NBA refs. It isn't even close.

Nor is it pertinent to this discussion. This is the NBA refs we're talking about.

kamil
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
The Celtics were robbed of a title in 2010 and even I, as a Celtics hater, admit this. The Lakers in the 4th quarter of game 7 of that series were getting ridiculous calls in their favor.

Has any Laker fan ever come out and said 'We didn't deserve the win.' ??

shady6121
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
I watch the NFL all the time in-season. There is no way, shape or form the same amount of skepticism surrounding NFL official as NBA refs. It isn't even close.

Nor is it pertinent to this discussion. This is the NBA refs we're talking about.

This, isn't it kind of ridiculous that in the NBA, the same teams win all the time? While on the other hand in other major sports leagues like MLB and the NFL, different teams win almost every year?

livinglegend
04-27-2013, 07:01 PM

+1, 20+ fts in 1 quarter for LAL. LAL could play physical defense with no fouls, but on the other hand, Celtics got called for touch fouls.

Shepseskaf
04-27-2013, 07:03 PM
This, isn't it kind of ridiculous that in the NBA, the same teams win all the time? While on the other hand in other major sports leagues like MLB and the NFL, different teams win almost every year?
I could actually live with certain teams dominating, if they did so through superior drafting, trades, etc. That wouldn't bother me at all, because it would just be an example of better franchises winning more.

Like you, though, I'm sickened by blatant one-sided officiating in the sport I love. Stern has forever ruined the integrity of the game, and he'll never pay a penalty for it.

ILLsmak
04-27-2013, 07:07 PM

I hoped the Nets would pull this game out, but the level of rigged-ness was shown in the game today. The Nets were supposed to win and got some big calls down the stretch. However, the Bulls came through in the end. Nate did some amazing shit.

So, I think the calls can be overcome. It's not like they're going to keep calling bullshit fouls. They only focus on important things. Like giving a team the ball back when they maybe shouldn't have got it, getting a box out call when the other team might have gotten the ball, or calling an obvious flop on Deron on the Bulls best (at least that night) player.

It IS rigged. It's influenced. Rigged might not be the right word. It's pushed enough. It's like, imagine if you were going to draw a card. There are what... 13 cards in each suit? Imagine you had to draw a card over 8 (since it starts at 2) and the dealer took all of the jacks out of the deck. Then imagine if they took all of the queens out the next time. Someone looking at it COULD convince themselves that nothing is happening when, in fact, the game is being pushed slightly in the favor of one team. If you look at my model and imagine many draws... 100s of draws, you can see (or maybe not?) what I mean.

-Smak

Glide2keva
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM

And in Bulls-Nets game, if the refs were "caught up in the emotion of big crowds", Chicago would have gotten more calls. The imbalance was obvious.This. Bulls almost got hosed.

HorryIsMyMVP
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Clippers lose rigged game in a blow out:coleman:

The Real JW
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003499799/262326544_conspiracy_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Foster5k
04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
People are innately skeptical. Everything is questioned and everything second guessed. Do a quick Google search for "NFL is rigged", and see how many links pop up. There are certain people that will believe any professional league is rigged for whatever reasons. Same for the NBA. The NBA is not rigged. Why are there so many questionable calls? Simple. The NBA is much harder to officiate than other sports. There is contact on every play. Five bodies trying to guard another five bodies while flying through the air, moving pass screens, trying to create turnovers, etc.

Put yourselves in the shoes of a NBA ref. There is no possible way you guys could do any better than the average official. Then you too would get blammed for "influencing" games/rigging games.

Shepseskaf
04-27-2013, 07:20 PM
People are innately skeptical. Everything is questioned and everything second guessed. Do a quick Google search for "NFL is rigged", and see how many links pop up. There are certain people that will believe any professional league is rigged for whatever reasons. Same for the NBA. NBA is not rigged. Why are there so many questionable calls? Simple. The NBA is much harder to officiate than other sports. There is contact on every play. Five bodies trying to guard another five bodies while flying through the air, moving pass screens, trying to create turnovers, etc.

Put yourselves in the shoes of a NBA ref. There is no possible way you guys could do any better than the average official. Then you too would get blammed for "influencing" games/rigging games.
Stay on topic. We're discussing the NBA.

Everyone understands human error. We're not dumb. People make mistakes.

However, when those "mistakes" consistently favor one team over another, then there's a problem. Then its not "human error" but something way more deliberate.

When this happens over and over and over again, right before millions of eyes, certain conclusions become obvious and unavoidable.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Stay on topic. We're discussing the NBA.

Everyone understands human error. We're not dumb. People make mistakes.

However, when those "mistakes" consistently favor one team over another, then there's a problem. Then its not "human error" but something way more deliberate.

When this happens over and over and over again, right before millions of eyes, certain conclusions become obvious and unavoidable.

This.

Scholar
04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
It's funny how 1 hour later, you see that the Clippers were blown out by the Grizzlies.

Now what'll it be?

"Oh, the NBA wants to make it a 7 game series! That's why Clippers lost! Yeah, I know I said the game was rigged because Marc & Z-Bo were getting called for bad fouls, but the NBA backed out of getting the Clippers the W this series, so that way they can extend it to 7 games! Yeah, I noticed it. Me!"

shady6121
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
It's funny how 1 hour later, you see that the Clippers were blown out by the Grizzlies.

Now what'll it be?

"Oh, the NBA wants to make it a 7 game series! That's why Clippers lost! Yeah, I know I said the game was rigged because Marc & Z-Bo were getting called for bad fouls, but the NBA backed out of getting the Clippers the W this series, so that way they can extend it to 7 games! Yeah, I noticed it. Me!"

You're a Lakers fan so of course you don't want to admit that the NBA is rigged or biased, since almost all of the championships the Lakers have won are tainted by biased and unfair officiating. :facepalm

B4llin
04-27-2013, 07:57 PM
You're a Lakers fan so of course you don't want to admit that the NBA is rigged or biased, since almost all of the championships the Lakers have won are tainted by biased and unfair officiating. :facepalm

The fact that the lakers have had so many championship and legends play for them, In the only city that is missing an NFL team is proof that the NBA is, at least, biased.

shady6121
04-27-2013, 08:05 PM
The fact that the lakers have had so many championship and legends play for them, In the only city that is missing an NFL team is proof that the NBA is, at least, biased.

This.

bmd
04-27-2013, 08:06 PM
The fact that the lakers have had so many championship and legends play for them, In the only city that is missing an NFL team is proof that the NBA is, at least, biased.I don't think the NBA is biased. I think humans are biased.

And referees are human.

I'm sure their desire for certain teams to win affects the calls they make, even if on a subconscious level.

Rasheed1
04-27-2013, 08:12 PM
NBA has a very poor reputation..

People dont casually say the NFL is rigged ...

Alot of fans whine about losing or calls they dont like, but the NBA goes beyond that. People with no stake in the games notice it. some of it is ridiculous.

Its difficult to say when its rigged, and when its simply poor reffing (because the fans whine soo much and the refs are soo bad on a regular basis).

But there are times when it becomes obvious.

A sport like football is much tougher to referee IMO.

bmd
04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
NBA has a very poor reputation..

People dont casually say the NFL is rigged ...

Alot of fans whine about losing or calls they dont like, but the NBA goes beyond that. People with no stake in the games notice it. some of it is ridiculous.

Its difficult to say when its rigged, and when its simply poor reffing (because the fans whine soo much and the refs are soo bad on a regular basis).

But there are times when it becomes obvious.

A sport like football is much tougher to referee IMO.The reason people say it is rigged now is because referee Tim Donaghy was rigging games, and Donaghy's lawyers arguing that the NBA fixes playoff games to extend a series.

Rasheed1
04-27-2013, 08:26 PM
The reason people say it is rigged now is because referee Tim Donaghy was rigging games, and Donaghy's lawyers arguing that the NBA fixes playoff games to extend a series.

People say its rigged because at different times it becomes obvious..

The 2002 game lakers vs Kings had everyone saying that sh*t was rigged and that was before Donaghy got nabbed.

there some games where its call after call going in one direction, and some of it is blatant.

NFL has games where refs miss calls, and even cost teams games, but it doesnt happen play after play like it does in NBA

I agree that fans whine about it alot and sometimes it seems like borderline plays, or maybe just a bad call.. but other times, you see refs calling a very one sided game, and it becomes really obvious that something else is going on

HoopsFanNumero1
04-27-2013, 09:35 PM

He has a point. You can't just accuse the league of favoring Clippers in the game when in fact it was the other way around. Now I am one of those people that thinks the league does extend series but don't go back on your word.

sc19
04-27-2013, 10:11 PM
David Stern doesn't care about black people.

Shepseskaf
04-28-2013, 01:17 AM

The 2002 game lakers vs Kings had everyone saying that sh*t was rigged and that was before Donaghy got nabbed.

there some games where its call after call going in one direction, and some of it is blatant.

NFL has games where refs miss calls, and even cost teams games, but it doesnt happen play after play like it does in NBA

I agree that fans whine about it alot and sometimes it seems like borderline plays, or maybe just a bad call.. but other times, you see refs calling a very one sided game, and it becomes really obvious that something else is going on
+1

its laughable that people continue to try and defend the refs "human errors". Of course, they don't try to blatantly influence every single game, but when it does happen, its extremely obvious to even non-fans.

willds09
04-28-2013, 01:20 AM
2012 finals were definitely rigged tho.

Rose'sACL
04-28-2013, 01:54 AM
The NBA has become the WWE, it's all about "entertainment". Quite frankly it's become unbearably disgusting and ridiculous.
Well, Jordan was getting calls on small fouls more than any player in what many people consider to be a "tougher" era where small fouls weren't called and every player was a world heavyweight boxing champion and used to fight in the street in off-season.
I guess NBA was more rigged during years when jordan was winning his rings.You should have stopped watching when jordan pushed Bryon Russell and hit that shot to win the game.
Refereeing an NBA game is so hard. Even i believe that a few games have been rigged but those games are about 5-6 in total in decades. referees are asked to treat so many fouls in so many different way by fans and players like how fans want lesser fouls to be given at end of the game and yet if a player like chris paul pushes defender and hits game winner, fans of other team cry.

2012 finals were definitely rigged tho.

your mom was rigged when she gave birth to you.

willds09
04-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Well, Jordan was getting calls on small fouls more than any player in what many people consider to be a "tougher" era where small fouls weren't called and every player was a world heavyweight boxing champion and used to fight in the street in off-season.
I guess NBA was more rigged during years when jordan was winning his rings.You should have stopped watching when jordan pushed Bryon Russell and hit that shot to win the game.
Refereeing an NBA game is so hard. Even i believe that a few games have been rigged but those games are about 5-6 in total in decades. referees are asked to treat so many fouls in so many different way by fans and players like how fans want lesser fouls to be given at end of the game and yet if a player like chris paul pushes defender and hits game winner, fans of other team cry.
nope, its worst in this era, mainly on tha rules in todays game, you cant be that physical anymore, or celebrate too much, or get frustrated showing your emotions.:facepalm

willds09
04-28-2013, 01:59 AM
your mom was rigged when she gave birth to you.
dont take your frustration out on me bitch:lol

Rose'sACL
04-28-2013, 02:01 AM
dont take your frustration out on me bitch:lol
at least i am not taking out my frustration on the English language.

willds09
04-28-2013, 03:11 AM
at least i am not taking out my frustration on the English language.
what a lame comeback :rolleyes:

shady6121
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM

This.

NumberSix
04-28-2013, 11:48 AM
The NBA already had a scandal where a ref was point shaving. You're a naive moron if you think he was the only one who ever did it.

shady6121
04-28-2013, 11:49 AM
The NBA already had a scandal where a ref was point shaving. You're a naive moron if you think he was the only one who ever did it.

This.

shady6121
04-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Scott Foster, potentially involved with Tim Donaghy, who still referee's NBA games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3684129