PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Owners vote to keep Kings in Sacramento

Andrew Wiggins
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
The NBA announced today that the league’s Relocation Committee has unanimously recommended that the NBA Board of Governors deny the application of the Sacramento Kings to relocate to Seattle.

The Board will convene during the week of May 13 to vote on this matter.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13150

-----

hopefully someone buys the bucks or bobcats and moves the team to seattle.

KyleKong
04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
:lebronamazed: I did not see that coming...

maybeshewill13
04-29-2013, 05:08 PM
****!!! :(

InspiredLebowski
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Good. Well done Sacramento.

TheBrewer
04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
I dont think the city's the problem, it's the owners. Force those dumbasses to sell to the Sac. group. SAC back in early 2000s were as loud as the Jazz, those cowbells use to piss me off, but it was a great era for competition. No LeRingchaseinprime influence... even small markets had KG, Payton etc.

Miles and Miles
It's all over. Screw all you guys that said it was a done deal to move the team. We didn't give up.

boozehound
"The NBA committees have voted no to relocation of Kings to Seattle, sources tell Y! Sports."
-adrian wojnarowski

"Breaking: source: Relocation/Finance committees have unanimously recommended the NBA's BOG vote to deny Kings relocation to Seattle."
-david aldridge

just saw this. Wow

bagelred
SONICGATE II: Revenge of The Kings

This time....it's personal!!!!

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 05:13 PM
12 to 0 vote.

boozehound
"The NBA committees have voted no to relocation of Kings to Seattle, sources tell Y! Sports."
-adrian wojnarowski

"Breaking: source: Relocation/Finance committees have unanimously recommended the NBA's BOG vote to deny Kings relocation to Seattle."
-david aldridge

so, the overall board (all the owners) can go against this when they bring it to a vote sometime next week, but it would be unexpected.

Xsatyr
Sucks, I was rooting for Seattle.

boozehound
04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I dont think the city's the problem, it's the owners. Force those dumbasses to sell to the Sac. group. SAC back in early 2000s were as loud as the Jazz, those cowbells use to piss me off, but it was a great era for competition. No LeRingchaseinprime influence... even small markets had KG, Payton etc.
I never understood why they allowed the cowbells in the arena. ****, the jazz should handout trombones at the door.

Andrew Wiggins
04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
win-win for the kings. keep the team and oust the maloofs as owners.

also, can we get a ****ing round of applause of MAYOR KEVIN JOHNSON
great to see a former NBA player do everything in his power and mobilize to keep his city's team from moving.

ripthekik
04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
wow.. sucks for Seattle. Taken and denied.

IncarceratedBob
04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
This made so much sense.

Sacramento doesn't deserve a team and Seattle was robbed of theirs.

Sucks that we'll need to wait to see this happen.

TheBrewer
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
I never understood why they allowed the cowbells in the arena. ****, the jazz should handout trombones at the door.
:oldlol:

InspiredLebowski
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
This made so much sense.

Sucks that we'll need to wait to see this happen.in what way does Sacto not deserve a team?

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

great to see a former NBA player do everything in his power and mobilize to keep his city's team from moving.

We just won our championship. Everything is going to change now. Going to get new owners, new GM, new coaches, new arena, and new players.

Rik Smits' Hair
04-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Well this is shocking

Shade8780
04-29-2013, 05:25 PM
We just won our championship. Everything is going to change now. Going to get new owners, new GM, new coaches, new arena, and new players.
All the Kings have to do to get me on their side is to get new jerseys. Those jerseys they have now are so damn ugly.

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Well this is shocking

Not shocking for those educated on the situation in Sacramento. National media was clueless the whole time and never knew what they were talking about.

Rik Smits' Hair
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Wait. Isn't the actual vote for all the owners next week?

04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
All the Kings have to do to get me on their side is to get new jerseys. Damn, those jerseys they have now are so damn ugly.

Personally I like the Kings jerseys. Especially the black/purple split. The font used is unique, bold, and authoritative.

OKC's font on their jerseys on the other hand. :wtf:

JellyBean
04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/32707-Hell-no-gif-e2AG.jpeg

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Wait. Isn't the actual vote for all the owners next week?

Formality now. When the committee votes 12 to 0 it's pretty much over.

bdreason
04-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Grats to the Kings and Mayor Johnson.

Levity
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Now its time for the new owners to give the city and its fans a cohesive and mature team to root for.

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Now its time for the new owners to give the city and its fans a cohesive and mature team to root for.

Agree 100%. Need to actually own the team first. Maloofs are still the current owners until it's done.

04-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Seattle given a taste of its own medicine: FREEZE!

Seriously google "seattle freeze" and you will see what I mean.

TheBrewer
04-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Isn't it weird that the mayor of SAC. is a retired basketball player? They defiantly got lucky with that...

Solefade
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
This made so much sense.

...Why doesn't Sacramento deserve a team?

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Isn't it weird that the mayor of SAC. is a retired basketball player? They defiantly got lucky with that...

Without Mayor KJ we wouldn't have got it done and the Kings would have left a year ago. Perfect guy put in the perfect situation.

D.J.
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Not even a decade ago, they were selling out regularly and even 6 years ago, they were still middle of the pack in attendance. The city isn't the problem. The Maloofs need to go. Kudos to Kevin Johnson for keeping the Kings in Sacramento. :cheers:

crisoner
04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Congrats to Sac! Happy the Kings are staying. But Seattle STILL needs a team. The Bucks?

I have been hearing rumors.

Burgz V2
04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
This made so much sense.

Why doesn't Sacramento deserve a team? You are clearly misinformed of the dynamics of this situation. The Kings' fans are some of the best in the league, rooting year in and out for a perennial basement dweller and still selling out a lot of games. If anyone is deserving its them.

This has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the Maloofs being sleazy and cavalier with their interests in selling the team.

Burgz V2
04-29-2013, 06:08 PM
in other news KJ just got re-elected :lol

Miles and Miles
04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
As soon as the Maloofs are gone we will sellout every game again.

Haymaker
04-29-2013, 06:12 PM
I want our Sonics to come back but I don't like the idea of leaving another city without it's team. So for that reason alone, I'm not too upset. I want Seattle to start their own expansion franchise and start from scratch.

04-29-2013, 06:33 PM

And it wasn't some fiscal moralist libertarian nuts like the ones they have in Seattle that blocked any attempt of Seattle getting a new arena let alone keep it there. Lucky for Sacramento. Too bad for Seattle.

monkeypox
04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Lol @ clay bennet being on the relocation committee and being able to screw over Seattle again.

mrpibb
04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
How is this less important than Jason Collins' sexuality? Freaking ISH.

bluechox2
04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
stern needs to expand that miami team to seatle, too much talent on one team compared to the other teams

Big League
04-29-2013, 06:52 PM
I like this.

The idea of the Kings moving to King County but changing their name to Sonics would have been thoroughly ridiculous. Silly Seattle fans. Your team left town. When you get another team come up with a new name.

Scholar
04-29-2013, 07:03 PM
This made so much sense.

What constitutes a city "deserving" a team? The Kings don't have a bad fan base. It just so happens that the Maloofs are such terrible owners that it turned the fans off from the team. Sell the team to the group in SAC Town that wants to buy them and I bet they'll draw more fans.

crisoner
04-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Without Mayor KJ we wouldn't have got it done and the Kings would have left a year ago. Perfect guy put in the perfect situation.
True!

Good to have a former player as your mayor.

mjokc
04-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Bennett > Seattle

:roll:

veilside23
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
its good for sac fans and mayor johnson

abit sad for seattle.. but good for nba because seattle will need to bring back the sonics ;) more teams ... more income source for nba :D

DirkNowitzki41
04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jailblazers7
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Good for Sacramento. I'd still like to see a team in Seattle but I didn't want to see the Kings move.

andremiller07
04-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Seattle get of our Sac

Wow if we get a decent GM/Coach this is just going to be epic

maybeshewill13
04-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I really want to hear if the league has any plans for Seattle now..

kaiteng
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
http://goal.thefreebeermovement.com/page/-/images/MLS%20Logos/SeattleSoundersFC.png

Burgz V2
04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
im wondering what this new ownership group is willing to do in order to bring a winner to SAC? Let's face it, the Hansen group would have payed out the ass for a GM/coach with credibility and would have at least entertained the thought of absorbing salary to go over the cap occasionally. Will this ownership group do the same?

andremiller07
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM
im wondering what this new ownership group is willing to do in order to bring a winner to SAC? Let's face it, the Hansen group would have payed out the ass for a GM/coach with credibility and would have at least entertained the thought of absorbing salary to go over the cap occasionally. Will this ownership group do the same?

They really got to sort out the roster, atm there is far to many D-League/deep bench players on there getting meaningful time. Tbh any GM/Coach would be an ungrade for what we had in the last 2 seasons.

Miles and Miles
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
They really got to sort out the roster, atm there is far to many D-League/deep bench players on there getting meaningful time. Tbh any GM/Coach would be an ungrade for what we had in the last 2 seasons.

I agree I just don't think they are being developed well either though. We have gone through the whole roster but we have the rookie of the year, and a runner up to the same on the team, college player of the year, etc. Sometimes when I think about it not sure if it's the players or the coaches. Most likely a combo of both.

Lakers Legend#32
05-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Give it a year at the most. This flimsey, shoe string, put together at the last minute Sacramento deal will fall apart.

Then when Stern and the NBA come groveling back to Seattle, Seattle can tell that little runt to suck my d!ck.

Legends66NBA7
05-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Now, they got to bring this team back to the good ol' days:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_H-hIKfQEBoY/SztCipXxG3I/AAAAAAAACA8/ny_KqWLs7zc/s400/kings-sports-illustrated.jpg

Killbot
05-01-2013, 03:37 AM
I want our Sonics to come back but I don't like the idea of leaving another city without it's team. So for that reason alone, I'm not too upset. I want Seattle to start their own expansion franchise and start from scratch.

This.

Not surprised that the relocation committee went pro Sacramento, seeing as Clay Bennett is still at the helm. I don't mind the vote. I just want to see that bitch die.

Burgz V2
05-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Definitely.

I think Geoff Petrie has overstayed his welcome. He's brought a lot of great teams to Sacramento, but for every good team he's put on the floor I can name an equally bad team (and it's been mostly recent).

They can score big time by moving Tyreke and Cousins and start fresh. Contracts like Salmons and Thornton is what kills the Kings, just too much fat on their salary cap. Outlaw too, dude is literally dead weight.

Shepseskaf
05-01-2013, 07:49 AM
This is a major win for KJ. I have no idea what happened behind the scenes, but he obviously did what he had to do. It seemed that all the momentum was in the direction of the move to Seattle.

andremiller07
05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
They can score big time by moving Tyreke and Cousins and start fresh. Contracts like Salmons and Thornton is what kills the Kings, just too much fat on their salary cap. Outlaw too, dude is literally dead weight.

The Hayes contract to is a killer, hopefully they pick up a starting level PG/SF/shot blocking big in the draft.

Burgz V2
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
The Hayes contract to is a killer, hopefully they pick up a starting level PG/SF/shot blocking big in the draft.

I get what you mean, I think they were trying to get some veteran leadership. I guess with this teams DNA, especially with DMC, leadership means shit all.

And I think that's exactly it. In order for the Kings to get competitive they need more than a couple pieces. Their overall talent level is lacking and where they do have talent (Tyreke, Cousins, even T-Rob) there just isnt a good fit. They have always gone for need before talent and it has bitten them in the ass. They aren't the only ones who are guilty though *cough* Raptors *cough*

Jailblazers7
05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Don't know the full terms of the two offers, but it appears that the vote might have to do with owners wanting to maintain a precedent for the future regarding public subsidization of new stadiums.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/30/kings_staying_in_sacramento_to_wring_out_more_stad ium_subsidies.html

Blackisbig
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Sacramento's stadium deal is a house of cards. They haven't even bought the land for the stadium from the private owners yet........Not to mention that obtaining the environmental permits for stadiums like this takes years in California. Seattle already has that process started. This deal will likely fall through.

andremiller07
05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I get what you mean, I think they were trying to get some veteran leadership. I guess with this teams DNA, especially with DMC, leadership means shit all.

And I think that's exactly it. In order for the Kings to get competitive they need more than a couple pieces. Their overall talent level is lacking and where they do have talent (Tyreke, Cousins, even T-Rob) there just isnt a good fit. They have always gone for need before talent and it has bitten them in the ass. They aren't the only ones who are guilty though *cough* Raptors *cough*

Couldn't agree more with you, they have actually for the 3 years Cousins/Reke been there never really once built around them with players who could help them. The pieces we did have to help them such as Beno Udirh we moved quickly in favour of garbage like Jimmer. While I'm not suggesting Cousins/Reke are franchise guys they have never been put into a position to succeed the entrie time they been there and imo take far to much crap for it.

Don't get me going on who we have drafted in the last 5 or so years other than Cuz/Reke/IT.

Ideally we draft one of the elite PG's in the draft class move IT to his energy role as a back up, get a above average IQ SF who can shoot it (something like Prince) and a couple 6'6 shooters who can D (something like Dorell Wright) and a cheap shot blocking big and imo we could go 500. (which in the West ain't bad).

Miles and Miles
05-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Sacramento's stadium deal is a house of cards. They haven't even bought the land for the stadium from the private owners yet........Not to mention that obtaining the environmental permits for stadiums like this takes years in California. Seattle already has that process started. This deal will likely fall through.

Research needed here. This has been discussed over and over. The Sacramento group has a Senator in their back pocket who has a law to streamline the environmental process. This was part of the deal to the NBA.

alec613
05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Live in Vancouver, which is close to Seattle.

Man, thought I was finally able to watch my team play when they come.

05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I bet the Seattle Sonics fans wished they had a mayor like Kevin Johnson.

LOL @ Greg Nickels.

05-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Interesting article:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/1/4289452/sacramento-kings-sale-seattle-supersonics-nba-arena-subsidy

Haymaker
05-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Interesting article:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/1/4289452/sacramento-kings-sale-seattle-supersonics-nba-arena-subsidy

Look 5 posts above this.

But yeah, it's all about protecting individual wealth and milking the tax-payers' tit for as long as they can.

Haymaker
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Interesting article:

Ok MY BAD. I didn't read. Good points.

theBIGjabroni
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
****!!! :(
eat it fagggot

Haymaker
05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
IMO this move was all about the NBA trying not to scare those small-market team owners/potential owners. If they approved the move to Seattle, it would mean that the NBA is there for big markets only. People forget that the majority of NBA teams are not in big cities. That's why the Seattle to OKC move was OK for so many people. It appears to showcase some kind of fair ground where it doesn't matter the size of your city. The NBA wants to spread their brand as much as they can.

kamil
05-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Why has there been so much of a push to move an existing team to Seattle?

Why not just ADD a team in Seattle? Wtf? Someone please explain this to me.

TheBigVeto
05-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Good. Well done Sacramento.

This.

If Seattle is still desperate for a team, Stern should move the Lakers there, let the Clippers be the king of LA.

wakencdukest
05-01-2013, 08:47 PM
This.

If Seattle is still desperate for a team, Stern should move the Lakers there, let the Clippers be the king of LA.

Dude, why do you have to bring up the Lakers? This thread don't have nothing to do with LA. You're the biggest ******* on ISH, why don't you just F*ck off! There, got that out of the way. This sucks for Seattle, but rules for Sac. Hopefully, next time the league expands, Seattle will get a team. They have a good history and a championship. I always liked their team from the Dennis johnson and Sikma days through the 80's and the 90's.

33teeth
05-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Don't know the full terms of the two offers, but it appears that the vote might have to do with owners wanting to maintain a precedent for the future regarding public subsidization of new stadiums.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/30/kings_staying_in_sacramento_to_wring_out_more_stad ium_subsidies.html

As noted by Ziller in his SBNation piece, the article you linked is full of misinformation. It's one thing to be an economist, but if you write an article with little to no knowledge of the topic at hand, you're still useless - even in terms of economics.

Burgz V2
05-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Interesting article:

i think the article kind of misses the point. It's not about who's paying for the stadium or not. It's about how ready each group is to go forth with their plans. Public-private partnerships in city planning are bureaucratic nightmares. So much red tape, so many things to consider, so many different opinions must be heard and have their say.

The fact that the Seattle group A) passed this hurdle months ago and B) were so efficient and organized in their application process to their city are the reasons this is (i guess was? it's official right?) being entertained. Obviously One ownership group is not just going to build a half a billion dollar stadium by themselves. That would be completely ludicrous, yet the author of this articles spends the entire first half of the article explaining that one fact.

He's right though about the reasons why the team should stay, 100%. But the way he framed the article oversimplified the entire situation.

Lakers Legend#32
05-02-2013, 03:11 AM
The Seattle group has been open and honsest about their intentins right from the start (unlike that ugly fat ass Clay Bennett and the other OKC jackasses.)

Now it's time for Seattle to get dirty, ugly, and nasty to get the Kings. Do whatever it takes. Play the hardest ball you can to make this happen. I don't care how it is perceived nationally.

It's time to go all Django on David Stern's azz

crisoner
05-02-2013, 04:47 AM

Here here!!!

Put a statue of him in front of the new arena!!!!
That place is going to be sweet! I want to get a marketing job with the Kings now!

05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Why has there been so much of a push to move an existing team to Seattle?

Why not just ADD a team in Seattle? Wtf? Someone please explain this to me.

That would be my suggestion all along too but...

David Stern said no more expansion due to the number of teams even in all divisions and conferences (or something like that).

I wished they just gave an expansion to OKC then maybe friggin Clay Bennett and his crew to buy the Sonics and move it to OKC.

Burgz V2
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
That would be my suggestion all along too but...

David Stern said no more expansion due to the number of teams even in all divisions and conferences (or something like that).

I wished they just gave an expansion to OKC then maybe friggin Clay Bennett and his crew to buy the Sonics and move it to OKC.

Because during the lockout there were whispers of contraction and the feasibility of 30 teams in the league, let alone 31. I want a team in Seattle as much as the next person, but the league is watered down enough already.