PDA

View Full Version : Trading Tyson Chandler Can Bring NY a Championship

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Now before the sheep flip out, take a second to hear my point.

The majority of the Knicks money is tied up between 3 players: 1 of which is a part time player at this stage of his career (Amare), and another is a 1 way player( Chandler).

Although Tysons reputation around the league in recent years has been stellar, in reality he isnt as special as many seem to believe.

For the majority of his career he hasnt averaged double figure rebounds, in fact i believe he has only done it 3 times including this season. Additionally, his ability as a shotblocker has always been exagerated; Chandler has never averaged 2 blocks per game and his numbers have generally been just slightly over 1 each outing.

While I would rank his help defense and post defense in the elite category, his other defensive contributions as noted above can be duplicated by a fair number of big men in the league. Considering his anemic offensive ability which is limited to alley-oops, overall youre left with a very one sided player who at $14 million a year is certainly not a bargain.

While Chandler is a great piece for a team to have, the Knicks really need another allstar offensive threat for them to take the next step. Even with JR, hes best served as an elite 3rd option due to his irratic demeanor at times on the court.

Chandler has been in the league since 2001 and is recovering from a spinal injury where a pinched nerve was involved. For a player whos effectiveness is so reliant on his mobility, this recent injury combined with the 13 years of miles on his body doesnt forecast well for any long term success.

The Knicks could really take the next step with another player who can create his own offense, and trying to fill in Chandlers absence with a cheaper big man.

Portland wants a big man of Chandlers calibur; would Aldridge be something theyd part with?

Would the Clippers swap DeAndre Jordan and Bledose for Tyson?

Havent considered too many trade options but I think its clear the Knicks should move Chandler while his value is still high...Melo needs help.

shady6121
04-30-2013, 04:22 AM
No. :wtf: :biggums:

Timmy D for MVP
04-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Ignoring everything else...

Why the **** would Portland trade Aldridge for Chandler?

coin24
04-30-2013, 04:23 AM
If they can get a decent trade offer for him why not..
Amare is just wasted cap space at this point also.. even though he was great off the bench this season, didn't last long..
A lot of $$ is tied up in those two, and I doubt anyone wants amare.

shady6121
04-30-2013, 04:25 AM
Amare is just wasted cap space at this point also.. even though he was great off the bench this season, didn't last long..

Amare should just retire for the betterment of the team, he could probably be our assistant coach. :lol

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 04:27 AM

Thats what im saying. Moving Amare is the obvious move but it just isnt possible. The only chip we have in landing another allstar is Chandler, otherwise id keep him around.

That neck injury will not go away completely.... Back/spinal problems have hampered players before (Dwight Howard, Larry Johnson). When nerves are involved things get veryyyy tricky

OldSkoolball#52
04-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Now before the sheep flip out, take a second to hear my point.

The majority of the Knicks money is tied up between 3 players: 1 of which is a part time player at this stage in his career, and another is a 1 way player( Chandler).

While it is true that Melo does not play defense, I still think referring to him as a "part time player" is a little bit of a stretch.

Then again, maybe not. :confusedshrug:

SevereUpInHere
04-30-2013, 04:33 AM
InB4 elgringos Bargs for Chandler.

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 04:36 AM
While it is true that Melo does not play defense, I still think referring to him as a "part time player" is a little bit of a stretch.

Then again, maybe not. :confusedshrug:

I was talking Amare, as in he plays only part of the season

Otherwise weak joke on your behalf

InspiredLebowski
04-30-2013, 04:42 AM
Ignoring everything else...

Why the **** would Portland trade Aldridge for Chandler?because New York. I guess?

OldSkoolball#52
04-30-2013, 04:43 AM
It's funny how the Knicks and their fans think they have any chance of reaching a finals during the remainder of the Carmelo and Amare twin-tower-contracts era.

Even if those guys weren't vastly overpaid, you would not be able to put a team around those two that would beat the team built around the three in Miami. But the fact that those two take up so much cap space, makes it kinda funny that some fans think Tyson Chandler is what holds them back.

All you can really do is point and laugh at these people. There was a thread a few days ago pretending the knicks could skip miami and asked about how many teams in the west the knicks could beat in the finals and get a chip. LMAO. There was a thread today bragging that Ray Felton is better than Lin and 40 years old Steve Nash. Which is BARELY true and nothing to brag about. But these Knicks fans, I tell ya. So desperate for SOMETHING to brag about. They've become the most delusional group of fans in the game.

The Knicks will not sniff a finals during the next 5 years, provided Lebron stays in the East. They may as well have a fire sale now and stock up on high draft picks, try and build a team that will reach its prime once Lebron is satisfied with his career and ready to hang it up. They literally have no chance in the meantime. Not because a team couldn't theoretically be assembled that could beat the Heat in a given year or two. It's just that that team aint gonna be the Carmelo Anthony knicks :lol

SevereUpInHere
04-30-2013, 04:50 AM
It's funny how the Knicks and their fans think they have any chance of reaching a finals during the remainder of the Carmelo and Amare twin-tower-contracts era.

Even if those guys weren't vastly overpaid, you would not be able to put a team around those two that would beat the team built around the three in Miami. But the fact that those two take up so much cap space, makes it kinda funny that some fans think Tyson Chandler is what holds them back.

All you can really do is point and laugh at these people. There was a thread a few days ago pretending the knicks could skip miami and asked about how many teams in the west the knicks could beat in the finals and get a chip. LMAO. There was a thread today bragging that Ray Felton is better than Lin and 40 years old Steve Nash. Which is BARELY true and nothing to brag about. But these Knicks fans, I tell ya. So desperate for SOMETHING to brag about. They've become the most delusional group of fans in the game.

The Knicks will not sniff a finals during the next 5 years, provided Lebron stays in the East. They may as well have a fire sale now and stock up on high draft picks, try and build a team that will reach its prime once Lebron is satisfied with his career and ready to hang it up. They literally have no chance in the meantime. Not because a team couldn't theoretically be assembled that could beat the Heat in a given year or two. It's just that that team aint gonna be the Carmelo Anthony knicks :lol

What team in the East has a shot then? What was the point of that long winded meandering response? Why should any team even show up if they're not going to be able to beat Miami? Tyson and Amare expire in 2 years.

OldSkoolball#52
04-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Why should any team even show up if they're not going to be able to beat Miami?

Well, the simple answer is to make money selling tickets to deluded fans like you who think they have a shot:lol

MtMutombo
04-30-2013, 05:01 AM
There's a lot of good opinions here but I think the one that's stood out to me is that OldSkool is the GOAT moron.

Trentknicks
04-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Sort of agree with some points and do agree Chandler's value is above what he is actually worth. However Portland is craving a legit center so they can put him NEXT TO Aldridge.

dbk123
04-30-2013, 05:29 AM
john wall and beal for chandler, felton, shumpert. DO IT

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 05:35 AM
:lol :facepalm

The threads not about trade ideas i thought of in 15 seconds that may be highly unlikely. Chandler does have a very high value around the league however.

DMAVS41
04-30-2013, 05:58 AM
:wtf:

You do realize that Chandler makes like 15 million a year..right? He does hold them back in terms of the cap.

Trentknicks
04-30-2013, 05:58 AM
The threads not about trade ideas i thought of in 15 seconds that may be highly unlikely. Chandler does have a very high value around the league however.
Not sure about the Clippers deal, I do think if Paul re-signs there then they would do the deal.

But really, DJ? He is an okay shot blockers but not a really great overall defender and having JR and Bledsoe on the same team wouldn't be a good fit.

MetsPackers
04-30-2013, 06:01 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Side note: This OldSkool guy has got to be one of the worst of the Apr 2013 batch. Oh, you're a Heat fan who just hates on other teams because nobody can say anything about Miami, how interesting and original :rolleyes:

Blue&Orange
04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
OldSkoolball#52 = sikktheschocker

what a pathetic loser. :lol

kNicKz
04-30-2013, 06:49 AM

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0306/espn_g_chandler_200.jpg

yeahhhhhh u mad

Real Men Wear Green
04-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Chandler is vastly important to the Knicks' identity as a strong defensive team. He's their second-best player and if they lost him the defensive frontline would have to be completely rebuilt. Camby, and Thomas can't be counted on in the future at all while Martin only has one or two more years. And the guy they get back, Aldridge, would not be a good fit with STAT and Melo already struggling to Mesh. You're throwing a scoring forward in with two other scoring forwards that have yet to gel. With no way to unload Stoudamire they'd have a lot of salary wasted. Even if you assume Portland would do this (not at all a given) it's a deal that may downgrade the D even more than the offensive improvement. This doesn't put NY in Miami's class at all.

kNicKz
04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Our team immediately got a lot better when we picked up Tyson Chandler. Watching this squad before and after his arrival is like watching 2 different teams. I get pissed as **** when Tyson doesn't grab rebounds and volleys them out and turns it over on offense but overall that dude is A BOSS :rockon:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

ShadowIX
04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
john wall and beal for chandler, felton, shumpert. DO IT
Wall is not leaving.

Real Men Wear Green
04-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Wall is not leaving.
For that package I'd agree with you. Him becoming a star is Washington's hope.

NBAller
04-30-2013, 07:39 AM
I agree with Real Men Wear Green.

I don't agree with his username though, haha.

I don't think Tyson's holding the team back at all. The difference between Miami and NY besides the obvious is the quality of the role players. Get better role players that will click with Melo. Probably have to get rid of Amare to do so, but it may be worth it. At least that's who I think should be traded to get it done, cause Melo will bring you offense, Tyson will provide the defense. That being said ...oh I just remembered y'all have Kenyon now, so F amare.

perhaps a pointguard that can create shots for players like rubio will do the trick.

rubio
jr
melo
kenyon
chandler

now that's nasty.

but Houston should be everyones first option.

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Aldridge, would not be a good fit with STAT and Melo already struggling to Mesh. You're throwing a scoring forward in with two other scoring forwards that have yet to gel. With no way to unload Stoudamire they'd have a lot of salary wasted. Even if you assume Portland would do this (not at all a given)

Not a given? Portland would laugh in their faces.

BoutPractice
04-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Mark Cuban apparently thought the same thing. We know how that turned out.

niko
04-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Portland is not giving us Aldridge for Chandler. That's ridiculous. And he's an offensive guy. We get rid of the guy who gave us a defensive identity and is out best defensive player to go get another offensive player (who we couldn't get anyway).

In the midst of our first (what looks like) decent playoff run in forever the thought that comes to your mind is breaking up our team? :facepalm

bagelred
04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Although it's good to think outside the box for ideas how to improve the team, this is one case the Knicks should clearly stay INSIDE the box. You are really undervaluing what Chandler does. You are simply watching him now while he's recovering from injury and saying, "See? He's not that good." Rubbish, I tells ya.

You say Chandler doesn't put up numbers, but you aren't looking at the right stats:

I won't pretend to know exactly how Win Shares are calculated but for this season:

http://i44.tinypic.com/kafrpi.png

Whenever the stat nerds discuss players, they always laud how high Chandler's value is. You are completely underrating him.

His salary is not even that bad. Big men always get overpaid generally and $14 million a year for a high quality center is perfectly fine.

His injury is just that....an injury. It's not chronic. It will heal during offseason.

His career minutes are not that high either. For perspective, Kobe has played 45,390 minutes, Chandler has played less than half that 22,508. So he's far from "washed up". His game is not dependent on superior athleticism either.

Also, JR Smith has proven to me that he IS a legitimate #2 option. And I didn't even want him when he came here. I'll get shit for this, but I have as much confidence in JR as any other 2nd option in league, including DWade, Westbrook, etc. Not saying he's better, but JR is supremely talented and I think he's now "figured it out" how to maximize his talents.

Clearly, the problem is Amar'e. Amar'e is still a good player, but he's just a round peg in a square hole right now. I think Amar'e IS tradeable this summer, because Amar'e only will have 2 years left and I'm sure some team would take a chance on him. But the Knicks would have to take back a bad contract, and only get role players (Gordan and Thomas from Bobcats?, Turkoglu and Harrington from Orlando?, Bargnani and Fields from Toronto?)

So there you have it. I would definitely not trade Chandler unless I was blown away with an offer, which won't happen.

el gringos
04-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Chandler for Ryan Anderson and Jason smith

Chandler, Felton for dragic, gortat, frye.

Would either of those deals be accepted by New Orleans or Phoenix?

niko
04-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Chandler for Ryan Anderson and Jason smith

Chandler, Felton for dragic, gortat, frye.

Would either of those deals be accepted by New Orleans or Phoenix?

The Knicks are a bit soft and reliant on outside shooting. It's a weakness. You want us to become softer and MORE reliant on outside shooting. No no no no no.

Patrick Chewing
04-30-2013, 09:33 AM

Every time I see that I just want to :banana: LOL

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Portland is not giving us Aldridge for Chandler. That's ridiculous. And he's an offensive guy. We get rid of the guy who gave us a defensive identity and is out best defensive player to go get another offensive player (who we couldn't get anyway).

In the midst of our first (what looks like) decent playoff run in forever the thought that comes to your mind is breaking up our team? :facepalm

Spine and nerve injury ( see Dwight Howard)

Year 13 of his career

Anemic offense when Melo is off the floor

An allstar offensive threat + an above average defensive big > chandler

Y2Gezee
04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
They should've tried to move him for Dwight Howard, still should try.

But Tyson's important. The Knicks have the best roster in basketball if they can get everyone healthy and gelled. In terms of this current post season, they've got guys generally healthy.

Melo is playing at an MVP level.
JR isn't the best 2nd option in the world, but playing well
Felton is beasting vs tough defense.
Tyson is improving his conditioning and looked better the last 2 games.
And Amare is well on his way to being ready to play in the 2nd round...supposedly running full speed and taking full contact.
Shumpert is starting to look like the Shump that beasted last year...only better.

They get Amare comfortable in his backup role again, and I return to my beliefs.

The Knicks without the most outrageous injury plagued season, are definitely and easily a 60+ win team.

ECFinals should be Epic, and I think determines the actual champion this season.

el gringos
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Suns get derozen, CHANDLER, Felton, l fields, j white

Grizzlies get Shumpert and m Beasley

Raptors get Amare, d aurthur, j Dudley, k Marshall

Knicks get dragic, gortat, frye, s brown, Bargnani, kleiza, a daye, wroten

Dragic/Kidd/wroten
Jr smith/s brown
Carmelo/Novak/kleiza
Bargnani/daye/frye
Gortat/Camby

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
They should've tried to move him for Dwight Howard, still should try.

But Tyson's important. The Knicks have the best roster in basketball if they can get everyone healthy and gelled.

:coleman:

The Knicks without the most outrageous injury plagued season, are definitely and easily a 60+ win team.

Big if with Amare, Chandler, Camby, etc. injury history.

qrich
04-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Clippers would not trade DeAndre for Tyson straight up, let alone adding Eric Bledsoe. An extra eight or so mil over two years,definitely not.

The Ownage
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Aldridge for Chandler will make the Knicks worse, purely for defensive reasons.

Clippers will NOT part with Jordan + Bledsoe for Chandler, that's pretty mind boggling.

I think from now we just need to retain our core and try compete with them while adding good side pieces wherever possible. We've tried quick fixes for a long time now and it's evident that it just doesn't work like that. If the Knicks fail in the next 2-3 years? Just let the contracts expire, rebuild again properly. And failing to me means reaching the ECF, as Miami is just too dominant at the moment and looks to be for the next few years.

coin24
04-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Forgot about camby, what a waste of $ that was. Isn't he on a 3 year deal? He must have only played 10-15 games:lol
I still think moving chandler is a good idea if they can get something decent in return, may aswell keep amare off the bench if he can get healthy.
Maybe someone will want him after next season as an expirer..

No_Look604
04-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Oh lawd I was almost with you for awhile until you mentioned Aldridge :oldlol:

Thought you were gonna mention like two young solid bigs with upside...guys with potential to break out but have yet to do so...but Alridge...a beast? And that's after you mention the miles on Chandler :facepalm

creepingdeath
04-30-2013, 06:51 PM
We would gladly take him back.

Y2Gezee
04-30-2013, 06:53 PM
But Tyson's important. The Knicks have the best roster in basketball if they can get everyone healthy and gelled.

:coleman:

Big if with Amare, Chandler, Camby, etc. injury history.

Dwight Howard is the best big man in basketball...you trade Chandler for him and the Knicks continue to have the best roster in basketball and then some. I don't even see your point.

Camby is irrelevant. Chandler recently has been relatively healthy...this season most of his time missed was cautionary with the neck issue. Amare...well yeah. He missed 4 months of the season, that's a lot for even injury prone players.

Furthermore....I think the injuries to Melo and Felton, and Shumpert taking 2 months to even really become an impact player is what I mean by injuries. The Knicks clearly didn't miss Tyson too much to end the season, which was when he missed all of his games. The didn't miss Amare too much...ever. Melo got injured in December and complained on tv about soreness routinely until he finally got his knee drained in March...wasn't the same until this procedure. Felton was the Knicks early season 2nd option, and proving he can be again now...he went down and it broke Kidd down for having to pick up the slack.

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Omg everybody stop harping on the god damn trades that i thought of in 15 seconds!

The point is TRADING CHANDLER! IF YOU HAVE SUCH A BETTER TRADE PROPOSAL THEN MAKE ONE AND POST IT.

And i only bring up Portland because there was a realgm aricle sayijg they want a top level big man badly

qrich
04-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Omg everybody stop harping on the god damn trades that i thought of in 15 seconds!

The point is TRADING CHANDLER! IF YOU HAVE SUCH A BETTER TRADE PROPOSAL THEN MAKE ONE AND POST IT.

And i only bring up Portland because there was a realgm aricle sayijg they want a top level big man badly

So Portland trades Aldirdge for Chandler, to go down a level, when they want a top level big? :wtf:

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 07:01 PM
So Portland trades Aldirdge for Chandler, to go down a level, when they want a top level big? :wtf:

READ THE REST OF MY POSTS I SAID ITS HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

COULD YOU GET PAU GASOL FOR KWAME BROWN DIPSHIT?

Stranger things have happened

qrich
04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
READ THE REST OF MY POSTS I SAID ITS HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

COULD YOU GET PAU GASOL FOR KWAME BROWN DIPSHIT?

Here is the difference.

Kwame was an expiring.

Memphis got other aspects in the deal, such as Javaris Crittendon, who some thought was going to be solid. Rights to Marc Gasol, which some thought was a throw in but ended up solid. And some pick as well, I believe.

Tyson, is not an expiring, in the slightest, and what else is there to give up?

Y2Gezee
04-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Here is the difference.

Kwame was an expiring.

Memphis got other aspects in the deal, such as Javaris Crittendon, who some thought was going to be solid. Rights to Marc Gasol, which some thought was a throw in but ended up solid. And some pick as well, I believe.

Well in reality the trade doesn't help either team. It's not exactly some big favor from Portland to NY if that trade just so happened to go down.

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Dwight Howard is the best big man in basketball...you trade Chandler for him and the Knicks continue to have the best roster in basketball and then some. I don't even see your point.

The point is the Knicks are far from the best roster in basketball. They are fortunate to be in the Eastern conference.

Camby is irrelevant. Chandler recently has been relatively healthy...this season most of his time missed was cautionary with the neck issue. Amare...well yeah. He missed 4 months of the season, that's a lot for even injury prone players.

They've been hurt their whole careers.

Furthermore....I think the injuries to Melo and Felton, and Shumpert taking 2 months to even really become an impact player is what I mean by injuries.

Shumpert was hurt going into the season so they should have made moves to prepare for that.

Derka
04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Send him to Boston.

Please.

imnew09
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Pau Gasol for Tyson straight up

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Here is the difference.

Kwame was an expiring.

******* the thread is not about Chandler for Aldridge. The thread is about trading Chandler.

Either contribute or get the fk out.

Losers of arguments find minute details to focus on rather than addressing the issue at hand.

NewYorkNoPicks
04-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Pau Gasol for Tyson straight up

U can have Amare.

In fact Dumbtoni was supposedly trying to make that move lol

SevereUpInHere
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM

Suns get derozen, CHANDLER, Felton, l fields, j white

Grizzlies get Shumpert and m Beasley

Raptors get Amare, d aurthur, j Dudley, k Marshall

Knicks get dragic, gortat, frye, s brown, Bargnani, kleiza, a daye, wroten

Dragic/Kidd/wroten
Jr smith/s brown
Carmelo/Novak/kleiza
Bargnani/daye/frye
Gortat/Camby

OMG yes! Here he is!

Y2Gezee
05-01-2013, 04:42 AM
The point is the Knicks are far from the best roster in basketball. They are fortunate to be in the Eastern conference.

Why not.? This is the most complete roster I've seen accumulated in a long time, but that vision includes Amare...so we'll see how he returns.

I mean if he can get into shape and play the way he did this season...there's quite a lot of defensive talent to support the most versatile offensive club in the league. And one of the biggest teams in the league with Kenyon, Amare, Tyson...but starts Melo at PF and 3 pgs. Melo, Amare, JR Smith, Felton as top scoring options

KyleKong
05-01-2013, 04:48 AM
I still have faith that A-Stod will return to at least an all-star level of a player.

If he doesn't, man the Knicks are going to be held down for the next couple years.

Bandito
05-01-2013, 06:07 AM
U can have Amare.

In fact Dumbtoni was supposedly trying to make that move lol
THey should have made that trade. The Knicks need Gasol and the Lakers fan don't want Gasol anymore anyways.

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Why not.? This is the most complete roster I've seen accumulated in a long time, but that vision includes Amare...so we'll see how he returns.

I mean if he can get into shape and play the way he did this season...there's quite a lot of defensive talent to support the most versatile offensive club in the league. And one of the biggest teams in the league with Kenyon, Amare, Tyson...but starts Melo at PF and 3 pgs. Melo, Amare, JR Smith, Felton as top scoring options

Counting a lot on Amare. Good luck!