PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul is overrated.

OJ SIMPSON 2.0
05-04-2013, 04:14 AM
He's always coming up short in the playoffs, his play this season have also been overrated. He is no longer the best PG in the League I think TP9 holds that title now.

tgan3
05-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Cp3 played well overall in the playoffs, his team wasnt able to deliver. His still the best PG in the league.

ILLsmak
05-04-2013, 04:21 AM
This is probably true. However, I hate how these threads surface when a team loses. It's like any outcome could produce a thread like this. If Bron loses in the playoffs, a bunch of threads are gonna come out like LOL OVERRATED!!

I prefer to judge someone as overrated and present an argument opposed to an end result. So many factors as to which team wins, judge players by how they play.

-Smak

notatop29pg
05-04-2013, 05:02 AM
People talk like this is Tennis or Golf. Basketball is a team game, I don't care how good you are, at some point your teammates are going to have to have an input. CP3 was a one man band these playoffs except for game 3. Its guys like Griffin, Billups, Odom, Butler and Barnes that need to take a good look at themselves.

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Saw a thread not too long ago about him winning MVP or something... when he hit the Game Winner in Game 2. Now, he's overrated and is too passive.

That Prisoner of the Moment effect...

shady6121
05-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Are you f*cking kidding me? He single-handedly made one of the worst franchises in sports relevant. Overall CP3 played well, but everyone else on the team played like shit. :facepalm

Nero Tulip
05-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Take out the constant flopping and he's nothing.

retaxis
05-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Are you f*cking kidding me? He single-handedly made one of the worst franchises in sports relevant. Overall CP3 played well, but everyone else on the team played like shit. :facepalm
When you got a core of Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, DJ, Bledsoe and deep team there is no way they weren't going to be getting into the playoffs anyway.

STATUTORY
05-04-2013, 07:30 AM
can't believe people ever let this guy off the hook for losing by 60 points in the playoffs.

DMV2
05-04-2013, 07:35 AM
When you got a core of Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, DJ, Bledsoe and deep team there is no way they weren't going to be getting into the playoffs anyway.
That dude has sucked balled in the playoff so far in his short career. I know he put up good numbers last year vs the Grizzlies but we know all Reggie Evans had more impact and played better down the stretch.

joeyjoejoe
05-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm curious to see if Okc loses to the grizz whether ppl will say durants overated and sux afterall its not like basketballs a team game oh wait ....

leMVP
05-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Nope, He's great but unfortunately he faced the only team that can expose his frontcourt completely.

they shouldn't have let that 3 seed to avoid Memphis.

Nick Young
05-04-2013, 08:45 AM
He let his team lose at home in the playoffs by 56 points.

Akhenaten
05-04-2013, 08:52 AM
can't believe people ever let this guy off the hook for losing by 60 points in the playoffs.

happens, Kobe lost by 40 in an elimination game IN THE FINALS, in fact dude's teams regularly gets [emmit smith]BLOWED OUT[/emmit smith] in elimination games.

Not to mention squandering a 24 point lead in the same series.

I know, I know, 5 rangz :lol, CP is trash cause he never got to play with the best frontcourts in the entire league, instead he has Blake Griffin (massively overrated) and Deandre Jordan (completely useless).

Cp balled out in this series

23/4/6 53%
not sure what else he was supposed to do

guys like Butler, Crawford, Barnes couldn't hit wide open shots, especially from 3. Odom, Billups, Hill and this point in their careers need to fold it up. Willie Green, Bledsoe...do I even need to expound?

Team was your typical regular season Western Conference pretenders, them and the Nuggets...FOOL'S GOLD

3peated
05-04-2013, 08:55 AM
didn't barkley call them pretenders early on? that dude is the best analyst and knows his stuff

Frozen1
05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
CP3 is the guy who gets most excuses in the league. His team was the higher seed in this series, and he failed to deliver.

Rubio2Gasol
05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Good Job - Good effort - but attempts to criticize Chris Paul don't stick.

longhornfan1234
05-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Blake Griffin: 13ppg/5rpg/45 FG%

Jamal Crawford: 10ppg/38 FG%

DeAndre Jordan: 3ppg/6pg/45 FG%

:facepalm

I.R.Beast
05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Yes he is....you can't expect to build an offense around a pick n roll player and win against a smart defensive team that knows how to contain it. I will say it again... chris paul scores flow of the game points. Nothing emphatic or in bunches. Wide open jumpers/layups off of picks etc. He doesn't demoralize a defense within how he scores. Cp3 scores very quietly. Once the grizz figured out that PnR the clips were dead in the water, that is always a danger when your offense is PnR or bust. He is overrated has been for a while now. He can't be a teams best player and that team do very much. Deron Williams has had better playoff success than Paul and alot of it has to do with the fact that deron williams is much better halfcourt PG than paul he can run sets and create passing lanes without the PnR. Deron has always been better and is still better.

tpols
05-04-2013, 09:35 AM
People talk like this is Tennis or Golf. Basketball is a team game, I don't care how good you are, at some point your teammates are going to have to have an input. CP3 was a one man band these playoffs except for game 3. Its guys like Griffin, Billups, Odom, Butler and Barnes that need to take a good look at themselves.
It's funny how guys like Matt Barnes, and, Corey brewer, the first two to come to mind, will be regular season heros hitting all their shots, playing great D and hustling.. And then once the playoffs come they without fail always SUCK. lol I remember Barnes 180 last year.. His shot went right to the gutter once teams started daring him to shoot it in the playoffs..

tpols
05-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes he is....you can't expect to build an offense around a pick n roll player and win against a smart defensive team that knows how to contain it. I will say it again... chris paul scores flow of the game points. Nothing emphatic or in bunches. Wide open jumpers/layups off of picks etc. He doesn't demoralize a defense within how he scores. Cp3 scores very quietly. Once the grizz figured out that PnR the clips were dead in the water, that is always a danger when your offense is PnR or bust. He is overrated has been for a while now. He can't be a teams best player and that team do very much. Deron Williams has had better playoff success than Paul and alot of it has to do with the fact that deron williams is much better halfcourt PG than paul he can run sets and create passing lanes without the PnR. Deron has always been better and is still better.
Nothing in this post is true haha

CP3 can score/create very deliberately.. He kills teams all the time in high pressure back and forth possession situations.

retaxis
05-04-2013, 09:38 AM
remember when people said they contenders and will likely take out miami?:roll:

fpliii
05-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Hm, clearly not. CP3 is clearly the best PG by a decent margin (including healthy Rose, Rondo, Westbrook, though since they're young Rose or WB could surpass him next year as they continue to develop), and a top 5 player without doubt. The real question is whether he'll still be in LA next season. I have a feeling he will be, but there are a few teams that might look more attractive depending on what the other top FAs do.

BlackVVaves
05-04-2013, 09:45 AM
He's always coming up short in the playoffs, his play this season have also been overrated. He is no longer the best PG in the League I think TP9 holds that title now.

No, he isn't. He's an annoying whiner and flopper to no end, but he's still the best point guard in the league for his all around game.

However, I will concede this: though I think Blake Griffin is a product of the ESPN hype machine and not a formidable big man (yet...he still has time to grow after all), I do think that somehow CP3 has inadvertently aided in the regression of Blake's overall development as a franchise player.

Derka
05-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Without Chris Paul, the Clips go nowhere. People were seriously considering the Clips as title contenders this season and without him, they're still "the other LA team" with a guy who can dunk.

Akhenaten
05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Clippers without Paul DO NOT make the playoffs

PERIOD

Kblaze8855
05-04-2013, 10:03 AM
This would make me more sense if the people compared to him had actually accomplished anything. Nobody thinks hes better than Lebron. Durant is usually given #2. Who else is there who really led a team to something he has not? Or played better in the playoffs on a regular basis? And did it as roughly the player they currently are?

If there is a list it isnt long.

You can point out the Magics, Isiahs, and all....no point out now has really done much to go past him. The Spurs have not had the same success since perception changed to it being Parkers team. Westbrook was led by Durant. Rose made the ECF but history has not really thought much of conference finals losses.

Rondo has done nothing much since the Celtics really became his.

Deron has not looked like he did at his best in Utah for 3 years.

Wade is Lebrons sidekick now.

Love isnt doing anything.

Dirk has had a down couple years.

Blake is Pauls sidekick.

Randolph has fallen back to the pack.

Dwight has been getting laughed at all year deserved or not.

Melo? Hes even more known for playoff failures than Paul.

Kobe has had a down few years by his standards and just led a 7th seeded team with #1 seed talent...now hes hurt.

Most of the leagues best are either old, letting someone else lead them, or doing nothing Paul isnt. The only exceptions are guys he isnt compared to anyone(Lebron and Durant)

Kblaze8855
05-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Nothing in this post is true haha

CP3 can score/create very deliberately.. He kills teams all the time in high pressure back and forth possession situations.

Yea...thats one of those "This guy is straight up lying out of hate or doesnt watch basketball" posts. Chris Paul has been breaking his man down and making a head scratcher midrange jumper under pressure for years.

tpols
05-04-2013, 10:09 AM
This would make me more sense if the people compared to him had actually accomplished anything. Nobody thinks hes better than Lebron. Durant is usually given #2. Who else is there who really led a team to something he has not? Or played better in the playoffs on a regular basis? And did it as roughly the player they currently are?

If there is a list it isnt long.

You can point out the Magics, Isiahs, and all....no point out now has really done much to go past him. The Spurs have not had the same success since perception changed to it being Parkers team. Westbrook was led by Durant. Rose made the ECF but history has not really thought much of conference finals losses.

Rondo has done nothing much since the Celtics really became his.

Deron has not looked like he did at his best in Utah for 3 years.

Wade is Lebrons sidekick now.

Love isnt doing anything.

Dirk has had a down couple years.

Blake is Pauls sidekick.

Randolph has fallen back to the pack.

Dwight has been getting laughed at all year deserved or not.

Melo? Hes even more known for playoff failures than Paul.

Kobe has had a down few years by his standards and just led a 7th seeded team with #1 seed talent...now hes hurt.

Most of the leagues best are either old, letting someone else lead them, or doing nothing Paul isnt. The only exceptions are guys he isnt compared to anyone(Lebron and Durant)
Eh.. I don't think this is all on cp3 but I've heard plenty of arguments that prime cp3 was a top five all time point guard.. One of greatest pg peaks of ever, blah blah blah.. Fact is he doesn't even have a better individual playoff resume than tony Parker who probably isn't even a top 15 all time pg.

steve
05-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Eh.. I don't think this is all on cp3 but I've heard plenty of arguments that prime cp3 was a top five all time point guard.. One of greatest pg peaks of ever, blah blah blah.. Fact is he doesn't even have a better individual playoff resume than tony Parker who probably isn't even a top 15 all time pg.

And that's rub isn't it? A guy like Parker has played in the same system for the same coach, and fundamentally the same cast for his entire career (on a team that were already perennial contenders before he got there). And still people bring things like this up like it's supposed to illuminate something. Tony Parker has accomplished more from a team stand point than any of the great point guards outside of Magic and Cousy.

Does consistency of environment mean absolutely nothing to people (it already stands that a wealth of people "watching" basketball treat it more as an individual sport than a team sport)? Paul has played for two coaches who have been (or about to) fired multiple times and the two teams he's played for have shown little to no success outside of what he's brought them. The team he played for this season had one of the most basic, predictable, and unchanging offenses in the league (if the high pick and roll didn't work, time to iso) and they played against one of the most competent, dynamic, and complex defenses in the league (who everyone is touting as the Western Conference favorite now). But yeah, let's continue to put the blame for series losses one solitary players.

coin24
05-04-2013, 10:28 AM
No one can criticise Chris Paul. :oldlol:
You are automatically wrong.

Even though he's never won shit and never led a team anywhere.
I don't blame this series loss on him, the clippers as a team were disgraceful those last 4 games..

Kblaze8855
05-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Oscar Robertson doesnt have a better career playoff resume than Walt Frazier. John Stockton doesnt have a better career playoff resume than Jojo White(he did more than win a finals MVP...). Pistol Pete won about as much in the playoffs as Brandon Jennings. Hes still in the top 50 and HOF.

Points dont traditionally lead teams to titles or really all that much playoff success. We can talk about why all day.....ive done it before. I feel teams that build to suit them just dont generally have the parts that champions need. But thats a whole other thing....

Point is...

Parker having more playoff success wont matter to history any more than Cousy having more than Oscar Robertson.

The bigman will get the credit. And in both cases...they should.

retaxis
05-04-2013, 10:33 AM
CP3 has unreliable jump shot, no athleticism or agility anymore, unreliable 3 point shot, can not blow by anyone.

tpols
05-04-2013, 10:48 AM
And that's rub isn't it? A guy like Parker has played in the same system for the same coach, and fundamentally the same cast for his entire career (on a team that were already perennial contenders before he got there). And still people bring things like this up like it's supposed to illuminate something. Tony Parker has accomplished more from a team stand point than any of the great point guards outside of Magic and Cousy.

Does consistency of environment mean absolutely nothing to people (it already stands that a wealth of people "watching" basketball treat it more as an individual sport than a team sport)? Paul has played for two coaches who have been (or about to) fired multiple times and the two teams he's played for have shown little to no success outside of what he's brought them. The team he played for this season had one of the most basic, predictable, and unchanging offenses in the league (if the high pick and roll didn't work, time to iso) and they played against one of the most competent, dynamic, and complex defenses in the league (who everyone is touting as the Western Conference favorite now). But yeah, let's continue to put the blame for series losses one solitary players.
I agree with this though.. If you put prime CP3 in San antonio he couldve finshed as a top 15-20 player all time because he wouldve won rings under that system of great coaching/passing/defense/fundamentals/etc. and he couldve done it in dominating fashion.

Thats probably true of all superstars who played great on mediocre teams. Put T-mac under pop or phil and he couldve been kobe.. Garnett in SA wouldve been unbelievable. He literally has the perfect mentality to play in that system with his defensive leadership and great passing ability.

It kind of makes player comparisons useless because the context of where they played defines almost everything when it comes to resumes.

I guess I just expected the clips and their leader to leave a bigger stamp in the playoffs after their reg season this year.

Young X
05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
This whole thread is garbage. CP3 arguably had the best 1st round series of any player so far, he was the only bright spot in the series for the Clippers, how is it his fault that his teammates didn't show up? You can't beat a team by yourself, basketball is a team game.

In terms of his teams' lack of playoff success, these are the teams he lost to:

56 win Spurs (Defending champs)
54 win Nuggets
57 win Lakers (Defending champs)
62 win Spurs
56 win Grizzlies

Rooster
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
It's funny how guys like Matt Barnes, and, Corey brewer, the first two to come to mind, will be regular season heros hitting all their shots, playing great D and hustling.. And then once the playoffs come they without fail always SUCK. lol I remember Barnes 180 last year.. His shot went right to the gutter once teams started daring him to shoot it in the playoffs..

Eddie Jones was like that. He look like an elite player in regular season but once the playoff start he can't rise to the occasion. Robert Horry is probably the complete opposite. He sleepwalks through the regular season but once the playoff starts, he will wake up and deliver daggers after daggers.

Bandito
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
CP3 has unreliable jump shot, no athleticism or agility anymore, unreliable 3 point shot, can not blow by anyone.
No he doesn't. But I prefer to see the ball in his hands because he's a great passer and he can make plays. Who on that team will you trust to do that?

I hope the media crucifies Blake Griffin, because maybe that way he can actually get better because he's being the stasis for the last couple of years and that f4ggot needs to get a post game. And he needs Paul to trust on him to do that. Jordan needs to defend like Wallace used to do and forget about shooting at all.

Bandito
05-04-2013, 12:32 PM
This whole thread is garbage. CP3 arguably had the best 1st round series of any player so far, he was the only bright spot in the series for the Clippers, how is it his fault that his teammates didn't show up? You can't beat a team by yourself, basketball is a team game.

54 win Nuggets
62 win Spurs
56 win Grizzlies
He had the bad luck of playing in the west:facepalm

Rubio2Gasol
05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
The Regular season hero Matt Barnes had 30 and 10 last night. He missed a grand total of three shots.

He's a good hustle defender who can get hot. Nothing more nothing less.

ClutchOver9000
05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
You can't beat a team by yourself, basketball is a team game.

54 win Nuggets
62 win Spurs
56 win Grizzlies

when this same argument is made for Melo, posters refuse to accept it yet w/ CP3 its all good... :confusedshrug:

Eat Like A Bosh
05-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Are people really trying to argue that Parker is better than Paul? Did you see what supporting cast Parker had his entire career? He played for a great coach with a great system and had the same core throughout his entire career. Circumstances matter. I bet that if Paul was in place of Parker, or Garnett was in place of Timmy in San Antonio, we would perceive them different today, a lot different. Circumstances matter.

And Chris Paul played great. He was carrying the whole team on his back at one point. It's his teammates that didn't step up. Doesn't help when Griffin's getting bullied by Z-Bo throughout the series.

stephanieg
05-04-2013, 03:15 PM
CP3's job is to run his team's offense. His team mates sucked something awful. Ergo, it's CP3's fault they lost. 6apg? Remember before his knee injury when he'd put up 15 assists like it was no big deal? Bum.

This doesn't mean you can't criticize his team mates, though. Blake Griffin is slowly turning into Dwight 2.0.

LosScandalous
05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
He just can be the guy as a number 1 option, he's proved that throughout his entire career especially this and last season +2008.

Harden>CP3 as a franchise no1 option.

Nick Young
05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
happens, Kobe lost by 40 in an elimination game IN THE FINALS, in fact dude's teams regularly gets [emmit smith]BLOWED OUT[/emmit smith] in elimination games.

Not to mention squandering a 24 point lead in the same series.

I know, I know, 5 rangz :lol, CP is trash cause he never got to play with the best frontcourts in the entire league, instead he has Blake Griffin (massively overrated) and Deandre Jordan (completely useless).

Cp balled out in this series

23/4/6 53%
not sure what else he was supposed to do

guys like Butler, Crawford, Barnes couldn't hit wide open shots, especially from 3. Odom, Billups, Hill and this point in their careers need to fold it up. Willie Green, Bledsoe...do I even need to expound?

Team was your typical regular season Western Conference pretenders, them and the Nuggets...FOOL'S GOLD
Great logic idiot. CP3s worse stats in losing underachieving efforts>Kobe's better stats in championship runs:facepalm

I.R.Beast
05-04-2013, 05:10 PM
CP3's job is to run his team's offense. His team mates sucked something awful. Ergo, it's CP3's fault they lost. 6apg? Remember before his knee injury when he'd put up 15 assists like it was no big deal? Bum.

This doesn't mean you can't criticize his team mates, though. Blake Griffin is slowly turning into Dwight 2.0.
wrong...your job is do whatever is in your power to win... the clippers have more weapons than the grizzlies do...especially offensively...no excuse.

ShaqAttack3234
05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Still the best point guard and a top 4-5 player overall, imo, though this season was clearly a disappointment for the Clippers with a stacked team regardless of how much blame you think CP3 deserves. They lost to a really good Grizzlies team, though, a team whose frontcourt dominated them.

Sarcastic
05-04-2013, 06:38 PM
when this same argument is made for Melo, posters refuse to accept it yet w/ CP3 its all good... :confusedshrug:

It's because Melo is the devil reincarnate, so it's all good to hate on him.

GoSpursGo1984
05-04-2013, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=ShaqAttack3234]Still the best point guard and a top 4-5 player overall, imo, though this season was clearly a disappointment for the Clippers with a stacked team regardless of how much blame you think CP3 deserves. They lost to a really good Grizzlies team, though, a team whose frontcourt dominated them.[/QUOTE

Parker has been better and you could make cases for other guys being better.

GoSpursGo1984
05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Are people really trying to argue that Parker is better than Paul? Did you see what supporting cast Parker had his entire career? He played for a great coach with a great system and had the same core throughout his entire career. Circumstances matter. I bet that if Paul was in place of Parker, or Garnett was in place of Timmy in San Antonio, we would perceive them different today, a lot different. Circumstances matter.

And Chris Paul played great. He was carrying the whole team on his back at one point. It's his teammates that didn't step up. Doesn't help when Griffin's getting bullied by Z-Bo throughout the series.

His whole career Robinson was at the end of his career when Parker got there. Duncan is an all time great I will give you that but what other great player did he play with? Ginobili has mainly been a sixth man who only played 80 games once in his career. Why is Parker being punished for being on a good team?

The Choken One
05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Not even gunna bother reading this thread. He single handidly carries the Clippers. dJ and Blake are awful offensively. Crawford is the only other decent player.