PDA

View Full Version : Why do they call the five second back-to-basket rule the "Charles Barkley Rule"?

waseem780
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
I never watched barkley play so I never really understood it

Droid101
05-08-2013, 01:42 PM
He would get the ball on a side pretty far from the basket and the other four teammates would be on the other side of the court. Rules back then meant you couldn't leave your man or it was illegal defense, so he'd just pound the ball, backing the guy down slowly, for like 15-20 seconds, then make a close hook shot or whatever.

Really boring to watch.

Kblaze8855
05-08-2013, 01:43 PM
When he was old on the Rockets and all he had left was his rebounding and one on one ability in the post he might get it at the 3 point line and just bully his way into the paint backing down for 10-12 seconds and score. It worked. But it was ugly.

Mark Jackson was probably worse. He might post up for 15 seconds...starting at halfcourt. But he didnt even really have a reason. HE wasnt always even trying to score. Just protect the ball.

DuMa
05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Dude had a body built to play in the post. He could post up anyone. If he had a bigger body against him, he would use his superior face up game and make a bucket. If he had a smaller body against him, he would mash that big ass butt and pound away for as long as it takes to get to the bucket.

fpliii
05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
I've heard it referred to as the Mark Jackson rule as well (more prominently FWIW). He backed down opposing points for large chunks of the shot clock in his day.

Ancient Legend
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I've heard it referred to as the Mark Jackson rule as well (more prominently FWIW). He backed down opposing points for large chunks of the shot clock in his day.

That's because Mark Jackson backed opponents up from half-court :roll:

ILLsmak
05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Is a dumb rule. It's like saying you can't dribble the ball for a certain amount of time. You should (especially since they changed illegal D) be able to post up as much as you want.

-Smak

inclinerator
05-08-2013, 02:59 PM
they should remove that rule, now that you can double team

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Barkley got it from Dantley.

SHAQisGOAT
05-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Rules back then meant you couldn't leave your man or it was illegal defense,

No, illegal D was (when it was called) when you double-teamed a player without the ball from the weak side.

Teanett
05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
i thought it's the mark jackson rule?

FKAri
05-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Dude had a body built to play in the post. He could post up anyone. If he had a bigger body against him, he would use his superior face up game and make a bucket. If he had a smaller body against him, he would mash that big ass butt and pound away for as long as it takes to get to the bucket.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/awsome/grand/cena_whistling_gif.gif

Rockets(T-mac)
05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
No, illegal D was (when it was called) when you double-teamed a player without the ball from the weak side.This is what I recall too. You could double on the ball, but not a player off the ball.

Scholar
05-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I've been watching NBA basketball my entire life and I've never once heard the 5 sec back-to-the-basket rule be referred to as the "Charles Barkley rule." I have heard the "Mark Jackson rule," though.

Droid101
05-08-2013, 04:43 PM
No, illegal D was (when it was called) when you double-teamed a player without the ball from the weak side.
Right, that's what I'm saying. Nobody is going to run across the entire court to double. That's too much time with four men with only three defenders. Easy cut for a basket.

get these NETS
05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Barkley got it from Dantley.

exactly

AD had a post-friendly body also

and for a guy with ZERO athleticism...no defender had a chance against him

Blue&Orange
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Mark Jackson was probably worse. He might post up for 15 seconds...starting at halfcourt. But he didnt even really have a reason. HE wasnt always even trying to score. Just protect the ball.
Now that i think about it, didn't Jesus have his back? Why so worried?

Cali Syndicate
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
He would get the ball on a side pretty far from the basket and the other four teammates would be on the other side of the court. Rules back then meant you couldn't leave your man or it was illegal defense, so he'd just pound the ball, backing the guy down slowly, for like 15-20 seconds, then make a close hook shot or whatever.

Really boring to watch.

Yes they could. That's what's called a double team. Illegal defense was doubling a player without the ball. That arms length was as hard a rule to call as any rule in the book.

bdreason
05-08-2013, 05:09 PM
It's the most retarded rule ever created in the NBA to date. If you don't want a guy to post up for more than 5 seconds, then stop him from posting up. Why isn't there a rule for guys who stand at the top of they key dribbling for 15 seconds? How is that any more "exciting" than a player doing the same thing on the post? The fact that an arbitrary rule would even be created with the subjective argument of it's "boring" is ridiuclous.

The truth is, it's just another way for the NBA to emphasize perimeter play, in Stern's never ending attempt to create the next Michael Jordan.

SHAQisGOAT
05-08-2013, 05:11 PM
It's the most retarded rule ever created in the NBA to date. If you don't want a guy to post up for more than 5 seconds, then stop him from posting up. Why isn't there a rule for guys who stand at the top of they key dribbling for 15 seconds? How is that any more "exciting" than a player doing the same thing on the post? The fact that an arbitrary rule would even be created with the subjective argument of it's "boring" is ridiuclous.

The truth is, it's just another way for the NBA to emphasize perimeter play, in Stern's never ending attempt to create the next Michael Jordan.

Preach!

bdreason
05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
And you could double the post with the old rules, it was just more difficult. The defender had to wait until the pass to the post was made before he could double, which made not only doubling harder, but recovering from the double insanely more difficult.

These days, you can double a player without the ball, which makes doubling the post easier, and more important, makes recovering from the double much easier. That's why teams like the Heat can play great half court defense without any good post defenders.

TheReal Kendall
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM

:applause: :applause:

ProfessorMurder
05-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Defensive 3 seconds and the restricted area are worse, but the Mark Jackson rule is #3 on my dumb rule list.

Defensive 3 just pisses me off beyond belief. You're objective is to keep the person on the other team from scoring, but you can't protect the basket for more than 3 seconds at a time without someone around you.

bdreason
05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Defensive 3 seconds and the restricted area are worse, but the Mark Jackson rule is #3 on my dumb rule list.

Defensive 3 just pisses me off beyond belief. You're objective is to keep the person on the other team from scoring, but you can't protect the basket for more than 3 seconds at a time without someone around you.

Just another rule created to make the game more difficult for bigmen, and easier for perimeter players.

Adding all of these arbitrary rules has also had a negative effect on officiating. Refs now have to count every time on a post up, count every time someone enters the paint, and watch for handchecks when they should be watching these players feet and calling them for all the ridiculous traveling violations.

I wouldn't be shocked if the NBA just eventually made it legal to take 3 steps. Anything to create more exciting dunks, am i rite?

Round Mound
05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
[B]Barkley

sportjames23
05-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I've been watching NBA basketball my entire life and I've never once heard the 5 sec back-to-the-basket rule be referred to as the "Charles Barkley rule." I have heard the "Mark Jackson rule," though.

I've been watching since the mid-80s, and I've heard it referred to as both. Chuck and Jax were notorious for eating up chunks of the clock.

Still, it's a stupid-ass rule. Always has been. If a team wants to use up most of its possession on one player using up most of the shot clock, that's on them.

jzek
05-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Back in the day, the Chuckster used to take 10-15s to back down his defender.