PDA

View Full Version : Is Basketball is to Europeans what Cricket is to Americans?

CavaliersFTW
05-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Just based on how low their best players stats are in both Europe and especially NBA, (like current Euro-MVP Spanoullis averaging 14/5 over in Europe after an abysmal 2/1 on .30% in the NBA)

http://www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk/images/cricket2006/action_shot.jpg

Basketball just seems to be a very foreign sport to them. Most Europeans I'm assuming must not even know how to play :confusedshrug:

Rose'sACL
05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Just based on how low their best players stats are in both Europe and especially NBA, (like current Euro-MVP Spanoullis averaging 14/5 over in Europe after an abysmal 2/1 on .30% in the NBA)

Basketball just seems to be a very foreign sport to them. Most Europeans I'm assuming must not even know how to play :confusedshrug:
Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world after soccer. basketball and Cricket are way different.
Cricket has 3 forms. one which is played for 5 days, one which is played for 6 hours and one which is played for 3 hours.
I wish there was a more entertaining version of baseball.baseball is too boring. only one form of cricket is boring which goes on for 5 days.

outbreak
05-09-2013, 06:15 PM
If your talking quality of leagues you are waaaaaaaaay off.
A team made of all american crickets (granted 95% of them will be sri lankans, pakistani, indian immigrants) will get totally destroyed by the worst team out of the test cricketing nations. A euro league team can compete and at times beat an NBA team.

If you mean popularity your also off by a long way, some euro countries love basketball and are well supported. Your average american doesn't even know what cricket is and the only ICC t20 games played in the USA weren't even played on a properly curated pitch. Basketball is pretty popular in a lot of europe and there are even some countries where it is the most popular sport.

Cricket is a great sport though, you americans are missing out

http://www.96five.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/shane-warne.jpg

Rubio2Gasol
05-09-2013, 06:20 PM

:coleman:

alexd
05-09-2013, 07:18 PM

:wtf: :biggums:
since when does stats = knowledge of basketball?
in europe nowdays you can t have nbalike stats for many reasons.the game last longer ( 40 min instead of 40 )
in europe they actually play defence while in the nba you only see defence during playoffs
in europe you can play zone or sag off players.there are not stupid calls like illegal defence so you can t clog the paint or defensive sec violation
you sound ignorant.i bet you ve never even seen a match.and don t act like all the nba teams are better than europe teams.its a different philosophy sure but players who are considered scrubs here can have a better carrer in the nba and vice versa

HarryCallahan
05-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Basketball is very popular and played a high level in Europe.

OP is an attention-wh0re who is too unoriginal to come up with anything different than trolling Euroleague, which everyone else does. :applause:

Desperation, is a stinky cologne.

HarryCallahan
05-09-2013, 09:15 PM
only one form of cricket is boring which goes on for 5 days.

:no:

D-Rose
05-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Cricket is awesome! :cheers: :banana: :pimp: :rockon:

outbreak
05-09-2013, 09:21 PM
:no:

Test cricket is the best cricket and t20's are boring once you've seen a handful of them. I don't even follow the IPL and barely watch any of the BBL here in Aus these days.

R.I.P.
05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world after soccer. basketball and Cricket are way different.
Cricket has 3 forms. one which is played for 5 days, one which is played for 6 hours and one which is played for 3 hours.
I wish there was a more entertaining version of baseball.baseball is too boring. only one form of cricket is boring which goes on for 5 days.

:roll:

Yeah no. It

outbreak
05-09-2013, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]:roll:

Yeah no. It

SyRyanYang
05-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Euroleague (the poster) literally trolled OP into retardation.
Good job, Good effort.

HarryCallahan
05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Test cricket is the best cricket and t20's are boring once you've seen a handful of them. I don't even follow the IPL and barely watch any of the BBL here in Aus these days.

I prefer t20 to ODI these days, but probably that's because t20 has ruined player for ODI's.

CavaliersFTW
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Euroleague (the poster) literally trolled OP into retardation.
Good job, Good effort.
And ironically I've done the same thing to you :oldlol:

outbreak
05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
I prefer t20 to ODI these days, but probably that's because t20 has ruined player for ODI's.
bah champions trophy's gonna be good and the ashes are comming up, much better than t20 even if the aussies collapse every test because none of them can face swing

SyRyanYang
05-09-2013, 11:52 PM
And ironically I've done the same thing to you :oldlol:

so you ARE a troll after all.

deja vu
05-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Hard to believe that cricket is arguably the second most popular sport in the world after football (soccer for Yanks). :lol

D-Rose
05-10-2013, 01:11 AM
I prefer Test Cricket above all. It's amazing to witness a match for 5 days. It's sort of like having a playoff series instead of just one game for basketball.

bmulls
05-10-2013, 01:21 AM
I used to see a group of Indian guys playing cricket in the parking lot outside the gym when I was in college. That is all I know about cricket.

It is interesting that sports cultures are so different here in America compared to the rest of the world. The US was formed by immigrants, most of them European, and yet soccer never really caught on here. NFL football is just absurdly popular yet it barely has a following overseas.

outbreak
05-10-2013, 01:37 AM
I prefer Test Cricket above all. It's amazing to witness a match for 5 days. It's sort of like having a playoff series instead of just one game for basketball.

Me too, nothing like lounging around in summer watching and following a whole test match let alone a series where battles develop between certain players when weaknesses are exposed. My girlfriend found it boring until I started explaining all the un noticed tactics that go into field placement and lines and how people are playing are certain points of a match for certain reasons. Pitch can make a big difference on if a test becomes boring due to being a road though.

It is odd how each culture has it's own sports, I'm not really an australia rules football fan but the sport is huge here yet no one anywhere else in the world follows or even knows it. They have an ad on this season similar to the NBA playoffs ad with people all around the world watching the game, I always think it's bs for the football as I don't think any other country actually watches it.

backbutblack
05-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Hard to believe that cricket is arguably the second most popular sport in the world after football (soccer for Yanks). :lol

Theres no way cricket is #2. Ive also been hearing Rugby is the #3 most popular sport in the world... theres just no way.

backbutblack
05-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Cricket is awesome! :cheers: :banana: :pimp: :rockon:

Your avatar... :no: :no: :no:

Blackcawks will never see another cup!

gengiskhan
05-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Theres no way cricket is #2. Ive also been hearing Rugby is the #3 most popular sport in the world... theres just no way.

Cricket is # 2 sport by far! its not even close.

Its right behind Soccer in popularity.

Just cuz USA dont play it dont make it popular. USA dont play soccer either.

backbutblack
05-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Cricket is # 2 sport by far! its not even close.

Its right behind Soccer in popularity.

Just cuz USA dont play it dont make it popular. USA dont play soccer either.

Soccer is the most popular womens sport in the USA by far.

Walker
05-10-2013, 04:21 AM
There's one major flaw in this thread that needs addressing.

People keep calling T20 cricket, that rubbish is not cricket. It is a hybrid sport developed for the sole purpose (this is actually true) of gaining popularity in the States.

It's alittle better now that teams are starting to work out new tatics to play it, but it still ain't cricket.

gengiskhan
05-10-2013, 04:25 AM
cricket's popularity worldwide is incredible.

china is also aiming for 2015 cricket world cup.

Its amazing crickets growth despite its poor selling to non-cricketing world.

cricket's governing body is 10 x worse than FIFA.

but its growth is despite of that.

gengiskhan
05-10-2013, 04:26 AM
There's one major flaw in this thread that needs addressing.

People keep calling T20 cricket, that rubbish is not cricket. It is a hybrid sport developed for the sole purpose (this is actually true) of gaining popularity in the States.

It's alittle better now that teams are starting to work out new tatics to play it, but it still ain't cricket.

When I think of cricket.

There is only one cricket for me.

TEST cricket!

Walker
05-10-2013, 04:28 AM
cricket's popularity worldwide is incredible.

china is also aiming for 2015 cricket world cup.

Its amazing crickets growth despite its poor selling to non-cricketing world.

cricket's governing body is 10 x worse than FIFA.

but its growth is despite of that.
The ICC is so bad cause they just do whatever India says. They're scared to death of getting on the wrong side BCCI cause so much of the money comes from India.

backbutblack
05-10-2013, 04:31 AM
Cricket should try to expand to countries where baseball is popular.

Sports Science did an episode on Baseball vs Cricket and the Cricketer or whatever you call them could barely hit with a baseball bat but the Baseball player hit almost every cricket pitch.

05-10-2013, 04:44 AM
It seems like every other sport claim to be the second most popular sport in the world after soccer. I heard judo, Rugby, table tennis (ping pong), gymnastics have claimed that title.

I bet most or all Americans know $hit about cricket so euros FTW.

Why lump all euros as one group? I have never seen cricket get mainstream attention in France. Even basketball gets 10 seconds of Tony Parker highlights but nothing on cricket.

I think cricket is only the most popular sport in India and second popular in the UK that I know of. I hope I'm wrong.

Rose'sACL
05-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Cricket should try to expand to countries where baseball is popular.

Sports Science did an episode on Baseball vs Cricket and the Cricketer or whatever you call them could barely hit with a baseball bat but the Baseball player hit almost every cricket pitch.
Stop watching sports science. that is rubbish. both guys were from US. Baseball and cricket can't be compared as in one you have to concentrate for 3-6 pitches on average whereas in cricket you have to concentrate and play at least 70-80 pitches/deliveries to be considered a little successful.
If there is one game that tests your concentration, it is test cricket. I don't like cricket or baseball but this is true.

LexiKhan
05-10-2013, 04:57 AM

It varies between countries, but here in Portugal there is no basketball tradition whatsoever. In highschool people actually thought I was a decent player (I'm terrible) because I somewhat tried to do a proper jumpshot (most people just lob it two-handed like a sack of potatoes) and could ocasionally hit a 3-pointer. This was about a decade ago and things could have changed, but I doubt it.

Also, our national team sucks and the national league had serious difficulties some years ago because there weren't enough active teams to form a league.

Sammyp
05-10-2013, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]:roll:

Yeah no. It

Sammyp
05-10-2013, 05:02 AM
So much ignorance....jeebus. They got a member of the U.S. cricket team. It's like the same as getting a member of the Iraqi basketball team and doing a segment with Lebron....

outbreak
05-10-2013, 05:20 AM
I know of afew players in aus who went to u.s in the off season to work with Australian baseball players. Didn't chappeli get asked to play baseball in the usa or something? Also assuming sports science didn't have access to a world class pace bowler on a turf pitch but likely had a good pitcher. You guys are right too t20 is just something for women to watch and gamblers to make money off in the sub continent. Oh its a dhl maximum.....**** off!
I'm worried about the Australian test squad now though glen ****ing maxwell had played test cricket:facepalm ...... and I'm a victorian too

Kews1
05-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Cricket only really popular popular in countries that were formerly part of the British Empire, excluding the US of course, like Australia, India, South Africa, Pakistan, New Zealand and so on. It hasn't really caught on that much in other countries, mainly id say because other countries just cant match the skill level of those countries which have already established themselves. A huge factor in the popularity of sports in countries is really the level which said countries can play at, people dont want to watch their country lose all the time so they focus on the sports their good at, for example America with basketball, India with cricket, New Zealand with Rugby and so on. Much the same as basketball actually, now matter which way you argue it players from outside the US just cant match the skill levels. America is also very internally influenced, most of our sport is internally focused e.g between states because we have the cities and population to support major competitions financially and have a large pool of skill to draw on thus we can pretty much play what we want. On the other hand alot of other countries rely partially on international competuion because the cant support competition themselves at high high levels or they cant financially support their own competions so rely on international sporting organizations.

I personally like Rugby Union and Rugby League, id prefer that rather than Football. Cricket though i dont know, 5 days seems a bit excessive... :lol

Jon_Koncak
05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Outside of commonwealth countries noone gives a shit about Cricket.Literally noone plays the god damn game.2nd most popular game my ass.The international governing boy of cricket has 103 members compared to 213 of FIBA.Nuff said.

Rooster
05-10-2013, 05:32 AM
How do you explain Australia and the West indies? (Jamaica, Bermuda etc) Im going to assume your American so my question to you: Why aren't the U.S. good at any International team sport other then the one they created? :confusedshrug:

A Canadian invented the basketball.

What kinda good are you looking for ?

The last time I check US has bunch of Olympic medals

In Hockey that includes 2 gold medals.

outbreak
05-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Outside of commonwealth countries noone gives a shit about Cricket.Literally noone plays the god damn game.2nd most popular game my ass.The international governing boy of cricket has 103 members compared to 213 of FIBA.Nuff said.
Popularity is measured in people though, India has a huge population and they are crazyily into cricket. It is like a religion there tendulkar literally can't leave his house in the day or everyone swamps him and its unsafe, People have shrines to him and think he brings luck it's mental
None is saying more countries play it

Kews1
05-10-2013, 05:35 AM

Since when did the amount of persons on a governing board dictate a games popularity? Haha

outbreak
05-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Lets avoid an argument like every other thread on ish turns into., Noones saying one sports superior everyone likes their own things.

Jon_Koncak
05-10-2013, 05:39 AM
As for basketball in europe it hurts me to admit it but it's pretty much a niche sport.Only in Lithuania it's the most popular sport.In some countries like Greece,Serbia,Spain it's second but waaaay behind soccer.And in most central/north european countries noone gives a damn aout it.

Kews1
05-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Pretty sure walking is the most popular sport, people play it daily. And yes walking is a sport, so you play it even if you dont mean to.

No offence to wheelies. :pimp:

Shepseskaf
05-10-2013, 05:45 AM
I'd say that basketball is much more popular in Europe than cricket is in America. I can't watch more than 5 minutes of cricket, myself.

outbreak
05-10-2013, 05:49 AM
I'd say that basketball is much more popular in Europe than cricket is in America. I can't watch more than 5 minutes of cricket, myself.
That's fair enough, ill readily admit basketball is much easier to get into and to enjoy right away than cricket, crickets either something you grow up with or dedicate time to learn the intricacies, not that basketball has less tactics but even if you don't know the rules in basketball there's always impressive highlight plays.
Not always an instant gratification sport either, I've enjoyed great innings where guys grind out a meagre score but save a collapse to force the draw I can only imagine someone who doesn't really follow the sport watching that would be bored senseless

Unbiased_one
05-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Basketball does actually have a pretty good following, and the level is pretty high in europe.That said, it's probably only about the 8th or 9th most popular sport, and most people couldn't tell you anything about the euroleague.

Shepseskaf
05-10-2013, 05:55 AM
That's fair enough, ill readily admit basketball is much easier to get into and to enjoy right away than cricket, crickets either something you grow up with or dedicate time to learn the intricacies, not that basketball has less tactics but even if you don't know the rules in basketball there's always impressive highlight plays.
Not always an instant gratification sport either, I've enjoyed great innings where guys grind out a meagre score but save a collapse to force the draw I can only imagine someone who doesn't really follow the sport watching that would be bored senseless
Agreed. I just tend to have problems following sports where there isn't a lot of scoring. Games like soccer, baseball and hockey are excruciating for me to watch.

There's too much standing around in cricket for my taste, but as you said it all a matter of what a person is used to.

Trollsmasher
05-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Basketball is much more popular than cricket in Europe:biggums:

The only country where cricket is popular is GB. The rest of the Europe does not even know how cricket is played and does not watch it.

outbreak
05-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Basketball is much more popular than cricket in Europe:biggums:

The only country where cricket is popular is GB. The rest of the Europe does not even know how cricket is played and does not watch it.
Ireland Scotland and netherlands are the only other euro countries with teams if any note. Most countries play though but yeah noone follows them. Ireland should be closer to being a full member but the icc swayed to Bangladesh so the Indians have more sub contibent members to vote in their favor. But again cricket isn't like other sports where a lesser team cam compete, low ranked teams can go years without a test win and celebrate a draw.

K Xerxes
05-10-2013, 06:11 AM

I don't think so. From personal experience, basketball is actually taught and played regularly at an early age in England. Physical Education teachers teach it and encourage people to join teams. However, far less people actually watch the NBA or professional basketball than play it. And the basketball lessons are far more basic than anything in the NBA - you're taught how to defend, shoot and screen, but there are no set plays and positions are hardly emphasised.

As for cricket, it is popular in England (and peaked in '05 with the ashes) in both playing and watching. After football, it's the most popular sport (with rugby).

For the rest of Europe, basketball is more popular than it is in England, and cricket is less popular (only the Netherlands have another decent team of note). There's the basketball Euro league of course which attracts a few other European countries (Spain, Greece etc).

No comparison when you go to the rest of the world. Cricket is by far the most popular sport in India and widely played and followed in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan etc etc.

Unbiased_one
05-10-2013, 06:19 AM
No comparison when you go to the rest of the world. Cricket is by far the most popular sport in India and widely played and followed in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan etc etc.

I'm pretty sure that cricket, table tennis, and field hockey are the 2nd 3rd and 4th most played sports in the world (behind soccer obviously).

K Xerxes
05-10-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that cricket, table tennis, and field hockey are the 2nd 3rd and 4th most played sports in the world (behind soccer obviously).

Don't know, I don't have the stats. Football is obviously first. Cricket I'd say is second. Not sure about the others. Rugby is pretty popular too - it's played in all of GB, France, Italy, Australia, Argentina, New Zealand, South Africa and other Oceana areas. I see what you mean about table tennis (China - although you could add badminton to that?) and field hockey (played in many countries).

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 08:39 AM
As for basketball in europe it hurts me to admit it but it's pretty much a niche sport.Only in Lithuania it's the most popular sport.In some countries like Greece,Serbia,Spain it's second but waaaay behind soccer.And in most central/north european countries noone gives a damn aout it.

I think basketball would probably be second in Turkey and the other former Yugoslav states also. It also does OK in places like Italy, Russia, France, where it probably has more or less about the same popularity level that it does in the USA.

Bandito
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/Insects/Field%20Cricket/fldcrckt.gif

duskovujosevic
05-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Basketball is popular in Europe, not like soccer but it is second most popular sport. Too many legendary players an coaches from Europe.

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Basketball is popular in Europe, not like soccer but it is second most popular sport. Too many legendary players an coaches from Europe.

I've noticed that lately it's even gaining a lot more popularity in Germany.

Unbiased_one
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Do you even live in europe? At the very least, rugby, tennis, f1, athletics, swimming and volleyball are more popular. Some of hand ball, cycling, water polo golf and ice hockey too. 2nd most popular my ass.

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Do you even live in europe? At the very least, rugby, tennis, f1, athletics, swimming and volleyball are more popular. Some of hand ball, cycling, water polo golf and ice hockey too. 2nd most popular my ass.

Using this logic, basketball is probably 8-9 most popular in USA also.

Sakkreth
05-10-2013, 09:06 AM

No it's not even. Yes Alba has good fanbase, popularity increases in Germany and Europe as a whole but it's not close to football.

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
No it's not even. Yes Alba has good fanbase, popularity increases in Germany and Europe as a whole but it's not close to football.

Where did I say it was close to football?

I said it was getting more popular in Germany, which is definitely true.

They have really good attendance in Germany.

Sakkreth
05-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Where did I say it was close to football?

I said it was getting more popular in Germany, which is definitely true.

They have really good attendance in Germany.

Yeah I read it wrong, no sleep last night.

Bosnian Sajo
05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I think basketball would probably be second in Turkey and the other former Yugoslav states also. It also does OK in places like Italy, Russia, France, where it probably has more or less about the same popularity level that it does in the USA.

Nah, in the Former Yugoslav handball is the 2nd most popular sport.

Dagouch
05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
My Dad was a semi professional at Cricket. He was pretty good but I hated going to his games. That game would last hours and it's pretty boring for a kid that loved to watch Basketball and Football.

Basketball is growing pretty fast in Europe and other Countries. I wonder in 20 years or so will it overtake Cricket?

duskovujosevic
05-10-2013, 10:45 AM

germany had introduced some smart moves by signing great quality coaches, finding sponsors as well as great fan base, it is like formula for success

duskovujosevic
05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Nah, in the Former Yugoslav handball is the 2nd most popular sport.

handball hahaahah you are hilarious, in former yugoslav republics basketball is a cult, sport with most medals.

Unbiased_one
05-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Using this logic, basketball is probably 8-9 most popular in USA also.

Basketball is the 2nd/3rd most poplar sport in the USA (not sure where it stands compared to baseball as I don't live there). i've lived in various european countries for my entire life, and I travel around quite a bit, and I don't think I've ever been anywhere that basketball was considered a relevant sport. Hell, even in spain, the best basketball nation in europe, where I've spent a few summers, no-one really cares about basketball.

Unbiased_one
05-10-2013, 11:33 AM
handball hahaahah you are hilarious, in former yugoslav republics basketball is a cult, sport with most medals.

Most countries like croatia, serbia, hungary have football, handball and water polo as their most popular sports. All others are secondary compared to them. Lithuania is the only country I can think of where people really care about it, and that's a tiny country.

kaktus14
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Most countries like croatia, serbia, hungary have football, handball and water polo as their most popular sports. All others are secondary compared to them. Lithuania is the only country I can think of where people really care about it, and that's a tiny country.
Waterpolo isnt more popular then baskeball in Croatia,Serbia,Montenegro etc. its maybe more succesfull sport esp in Croatia but as a sport is so minor that only few nations play it on high level in world and club competiton is a joke, handball is more popular in Cro cause we are very good at it, but basketball is still 2nd sport here,tradition is just way too old, even tho we sucked in last 15 years and didnt do shit on club or national level,more people still play it,get involved and follow clubs then handball/waterpolo combined.

Same shit in Serbia and to even greater extent.

gengiskhan
05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
My Dad was a semi professional at Cricket. He was pretty good but I hated going to his games. That game would last hours and it's pretty boring for a kid that loved to watch Basketball and Football.

Basketball is growing pretty fast in Europe and other Countries. I wonder in 20 years or so will it overtake Cricket?

Biggest joke ever is...

Cricket is a European sport. :lol

It is not

Only country that plays cricket is England & Ireland.

Even Ireland barely barely plays the sport & is not a professional member.

Rest of Euro continent dont give a damn about it. They are soccer crazy..

Cricket is mainly Asian, Australian, north american & African sport!

Shade8780
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Hell no! In most European countries, basketball is pretty popular. In Ireland though, not a lot of people are into basketball but it's growing in popularity thankfully.

outbreak
05-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Biggest joke ever is...

Cricket is a European sport. :lol

It is not

Only country that plays cricket is England & Ireland.

Even Ireland barely barely plays the sport & is not a professional member.

Rest of Euro continent dont give a damn about it. They are soccer crazy..

Cricket is mainly Asian, Australian, north american & African sport!
In ireland they follow soccer, hurling and irish football. The only reason cricket is second in the world is India, this is why it never made the Olympics because not enough countries play serious and there's such a big gap between an amateur team and a pro team. In the countries it is popular though it isn't going anywhere crecricket is part of those countries culture in a way most sports arwn't

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Basketball is the 2nd/3rd most poplar sport in the USA (not sure where it stands compared to baseball as I don't live there). i've lived in various european countries for my entire life, and I travel around quite a bit, and I don't think I've ever been anywhere that basketball was considered a relevant sport. Hell, even in spain, the best basketball nation in europe, where I've spent a few summers, no-one really cares about basketball.

No it's not. Not using the same standard you used to rank basketball's popularity in Europe. You listed every single sport you could think of.

Well in that case,

NFL
NCAA college football
Nascar
MLB

That's at an absolute minimum. You can argue golf and tennis probably also, that is using the standard you set for measuring basketball in Europe, like how you listed something like swimming for example. Yeah, it's pretty damn obvious more people are into swimming in the US than basketball. Bowling, the same, etc.

You are totally full of shit.

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 05:35 PM

You are a moron.

fragokota
05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Lithuania is the only country in europe where basketball is their "national" sport.Pretty much anywhere else soccer is the most popular sport by far.But basketball isn't irrelevant at all,especially in the southern countries like Spain,Greece,Italy and of course the former yugoslav republics(very strong tradition) and also Russia,France,Germany to a lesser extend but given their large population, you can't say it's unknown to them.northern european countries tend to excell to other sports.The only common thing the europeans have in the sports world,it's the football frenzy.....It's almost impossible to feel with any other sport what football can give you

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Lithuania is the only country in europe where basketball is their "national" sport.Pretty much anywhere else soccer is the most popular sport by far.But basketball isn't irrelevant at all,especially in the southern countries like Spain,Greece,Italy and of course the former yugoslav republics(very strong tradition) and also Russia,France,Germany to a lesser extend but given their large population, you can't say it's unknown to them.northern european countries tend to excell to other sports.The only common thing the europeans have in the sports world,it's the football frenzy.....It's almost impossible to feel with any other sport what football can give you

Basketball is doing well in Turkey and Cyprus, and it does OK in the Baltic states also, and growing in Poland and Germany.

Then there are places like Israel where it also does well, but it's not a European country. But, they compete in European sports competitions, so that's debatable.

I don't know if basketball is the second sport in Europe or not, but I sure the hell know it's nothing as low in popularity as some of these clowns are claiming.

It might be behind sports like hockey, rugby, formula 1, motocross, handball, tennis, golf and things like that in certain regions, but I don't think you can say that it is across the continent like some fools are claiming.

For example, I am sure hockey is bigger in northern Europe, but I guarantee basketball is bigger through the whole continent.

I think for instance that rugby is bigger in France, UK - places like that, but no way in hell through the whole continent.

Basketball is definitely the #2 sport in enough European countries that it is in no way in hell a niche sport like cricket in America, or whatever.

fragokota
05-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Basketball is doing well in Turkey and Cyprus, and it does OK in the Baltic states also, and growing in Poland and Germany.

Then there are places like Israel where it also does well, but it's not a European country. But, they compete in European sports competitions, so that's debatable.

I don't know if basketball is the second sport in Europe or not, but I sure the hell know it's nothing as low in popularity as some of these clowns are claiming.

It might be behind sports like hockey, rugby, formula 1, motocross, handball, tennis, golf and things like that in certain regions, but I don't think you can say that it is across the continent like some fools are claiming.

For example, I am sure hockey is bigger in northern Europe, but I guarantee basketball is bigger through the whole continent.

I think for instance that rugby is bigger in France, UK - places like that, but no way in hell through the whole continent.

Basketball is definitely the #2 sport in enough European countries that it is in no way in hell a niche sport like cricket in America, or whatever.

i couldn't agree more.the difference in popularity of various sports(besides football) across different countries and regions in the european continent is pretty amazing though.and we are talking neighbour countries having huge diversities in sports preference.take portugal and spain for example and the sport of basketball.no connection whatsoever

nightprowler10
05-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Some really surprising posts in here. I didn't think there would be this many posters here that enjoy cricket, much less test cricket. Test cricket is the god of all sports IMO (unless it's played on flat tracks).

Euroleague
05-10-2013, 09:34 PM
False.

Like another poster said, where in Europe does anyone give a shit about basketball? Lithuania and maybe Spain.

Where in Europe does anyone give a shit about hockey? Scandinavian countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway), Czech Republic, Denmark, Slovakia, Switzerland, Belarus, Poland, ect.

Most European countries have either soccer or hockey as #1/#2, followed by handball.

You are a complete ****ing dumb ass.

gengiskhan
05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Where Cricket is considered RELIGION:

1. India 1.25 Billion population.
2. Pakistan 180 Million population.
3. Bangladesh 150 Million population.
4. Sri Lanka 20 Million population.

Thats 1.6 Billion people who consider it national craze, a religion.

Baseball even in USA with 315 Million is not a RELIGION, a national craze.

In USA, NFL Football has that luxury of being RELIGION, a national craze.

Cricket realistically is beaten only by Soccer which is RELIGION in many countries of the world heavily populated too.