PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry = Mark Price?

iamgine
05-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Give or take a little, accurate comparison?

fandarko
05-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Give or take a little, accurate comparison?

Mark Price was one of my favourite players back in the day.
It crossed my mind, yes.
They are similar in terms of shooting. Price was unreal in that domain.
Other similarities - they don't rely on athleticism to score, which makes their scoring even more admirable.
Curry has three inches on Price, is longer and more athletic though.
Price was a pure PG, while Curry is a shoot-first PG.
Price might have been somewhat quicker, while Curry has way better handles and is smoother. Is able to go places owing to his lenght. A better finisher.
Price played in a stacked team with Daugherty, Nance, Harper... Was never really the go-to-guy, otherwise I believe he could have kept his scoring average over 20 ppg. Highly intelligent player.
Overall, it's not a great comparison except for the shooting.
I believe Curry is the better player, but Price has had a great career (4 x time All Star) and we must see how Steph fares in the long run.

Harison
05-13-2013, 07:49 AM
They have some similarities, but as career goes, I think Curry will achieve more (if his glass ankles holds).

IGOTGAME
05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Hard to compare with the different rules. Curry is the exact guy the rules benefit. Price playing now is prime Steve Nash. He was a better passer and game manager than Curry by far.

Btw...wheb everyone is healthy Curry will have trouble remaining a top 5 pg. CP3, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Parker etc. To be honest he isn't a top 5 pg even with his hot shooting. He is just streaky and takes bad shots. You can't build around bad shots unless your a very very special player like Kobe who can impose his will on games. He just isn't that guy. Also he is playing with house money now...gonna be a little different when people began to expect big games. Imo one of the most overrated guys in a while. Isnt an all nba talent with this pg crop. There will alwayd be 3/4pgs better

miles berg
05-13-2013, 08:32 AM
That's tough, Curry has a chance though.

irriducibili
05-13-2013, 08:33 AM
curry is one of a kind

fandarko
05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Hard to compare with the different rules. Curry is the exact guy the rules benefit. Price playing now is prime Steve Nash. He was a better passer and game manager than Curry by far.

They're different players though. Price was more team oriented. Curry has better handles.

As for the Price/Nash comparison, I believe that Nash has better handles and is a more creative passer than Price. But as you say, there were different rules back then.

I had a canvas Cavs/Price jersey. If you think that's no big deal, try Eastern Europe in late 80s:)

IGOTGAME
05-13-2013, 08:39 AM
They're different players though. Price was more team oriented. Curry has better handles.

As for the Price/Nash comparison, I believe that Nash has better handles and is a more creative passer than Price. But as you say, there were different rules back then.

I had a canvas Cavs/Price jersey. If you think that's no big deal, try Eastern Europe in late 80s:)

Curry has better dribble moves. As far as getting from place to place and minimizing turnovers Price was better. One played on a team that valued possessions and one takes a lot of risks and bad shots. I don't want my pgs taking bad shots and unjustified risks.

Poetry
05-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Little refresher from Fatal9ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo

tontoz
05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Strangely enough both guys have an identical career TS% of 58.6%.

Not a bad comparison. Both guys were deadly shooters even off the dribble. As others have said Curry is more shoot first with better handles. Price might be the better option on a strong team.

I loved Price's game. Under today's rules he would have been special. Back then guys couldn't guard him so they got rough with him. I think he would have had a longer career under today's rules

Dragonyeuw
05-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Just watching that, forgot how good he was at changing pace off the dribble. Deceptively fast.....

OhNoTimNoSho
05-13-2013, 12:12 PM
People saying that Curry has better handles I think are confusing flashier handles with better handles. I highly doubt Curry's handles are in any way better. They both use the same moves to create space. Curry will just occasionally do fancy dribbles while standing in one place, which Price never did, since back then that wasnt cool.

Akhenaten
05-13-2013, 12:57 PM
He is just streaky and takes bad shots.

:biggums:

He's a CAREER 45% shooter from 3 on near 6 3's per game
this season he shot near 8 threes and still shot 45%

he's the very antithesis of a streak shooter
again :biggums:

DuMa
05-13-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm not really impressed with Curry's speed or explosion. Mark Price was underrated in how fast he went and how fast he changed direction. Curry does however have a very good offhand which allows him to go both ways. But very rarely do you see him drive either way without a pick or after crossing a defender up. He will almost always step back for a 3. Maybe its the bad ankle he has been dealing with for a few years but Curry should be a lot quicker than what we're seeing of him

Shade8780
05-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Mark Price was never a top 15 player like Curry currently is. I'd take Steph, even with his glass ankles.

sundizz
05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Mark Price was never a top 15 player like Curry currently is. I'd take Steph, even with his glass ankles.

Well, he did finish top 10 in MVP voting for 4 years in a row...so that's not really a great argument.

However, I am have been the Curry wagon since he was at Davidson and I believe he is a one of a type player. He hits off the dribble, or spot up threes better than 90% of the league hits an open jumper. That's absolutely unbelievable. It looks like he is streaky...but he's actually not. Anytime (except maybe first 2 minutes of a game) he is basically on lock for making a shot. What he does streaky is use his athleticism and handles to get open. He picks and chooses his spots. He doesn't have the Russel type endurance to do it 100% of the time. It's why his 3rd quarters are so amazing. He chooses to go into attack mode. If you watch him (when he is healthy) he can create separation basically whenever he wants if he isn't tired. The third is perfect because he is warmed up, and not tired. He creates the separation through either using screens, step backs, pushing it in transition etc.

Argh. can't even properly explain what i mean. too buzzed and in China. Anyways, he is better than Price. Price is the perfect complement player, but Curry is a true #1 option (and one of the best in the league) when he is healthy.

tontoz
05-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Price was top 10 in the MVP voting 4 times and made First Team All-NBA once.

FatComputerNerd
05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
People forget how good Price was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCrttbk6HtI

GrapeApe
05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
People forget how good Price was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCrttbk6HtI

I remember kinda hating Mark Price back in the day because those Price/Daugherty/Nance Cavaliers teams always seemed to kick the Heat's ass and I swear Price never missed a shot against Miami. He was an assassin and is another guy who gets forgotten largely because of playing in the Eastern Conference during the Jordan era.

Dragonyeuw
05-13-2013, 03:21 PM

That's hardly an apples to apples comparison, considering at his late 80's/ early 90's peak he was playing at the same time as:

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Hakeem Olajuwan
Isiah Thomas
John Stockton
Scottie Pippen
Dominique Wilkins

etc, etc. Curry wouldn't have sniffed top 15 back then, either.

FatComputerNerd
03-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Bump :cheers:

Real14
03-26-2015, 01:10 PM
I disagree.

Heavincent
03-26-2015, 01:11 PM

Btw...wheb everyone is healthy Curry will have trouble remaining a top 5 pg. CP3, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Parker etc. To be honest he isn't a top 5 pg even with his hot shooting. He is just streaky and takes bad shots. You can't build around bad shots unless your a very very special player like Kobe who can impose his will on games. He just isn't that guy. Also he is playing with house money now...gonna be a little different when people began to expect big games. Imo one of the most overrated guys in a while. Isnt an all nba talent with this pg crop. There will alwayd be 3/4pgs better

:roll:

FatComputerNerd
03-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Mark Price - Skills and Quickness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo

Jameerthefear
03-26-2015, 01:17 PM

This dude :roll: :roll:

warriorfan
03-26-2015, 01:22 PM
This dude :roll: :roll:

You are worthless. Way to quote someone's 2 year old post after Curry has taken an extra step that no one was really predicting at that time. At least this cat gives his basketball take. When do you even talk about basketball? You post more about dragon ball z and your fggt cartoons than actually talk about ball. Talk about bball or go outside and talk to some girls you goon.

FatComputerNerd
03-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Settle down now, and stay on topic please.

Thx.

Jameerthefear
03-26-2015, 01:24 PM
You are worthless. Way to quote someone's 2 year old post after Curry has taken an extra step that no one was really predicting at that time. At least this cat gives his basketball take. When do you even talk about basketball? You post more about dragon ball z and your fggt cartoons than actually talk about ball. Talk about bball or go outside and talk to some girls you goon.
tl;dr

#rentfree

FatComputerNerd
03-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Personally, I think the comparison is valid.

Other than a few nuances, their respective skill-sets are relatively similar.

warriorfan
03-26-2015, 01:26 PM
I got raped harder than the underage cartoon girl in my wet dream last night

:cheers:

Bigsmoke
03-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Curry now is much better than Price ever was.

FatComputerNerd
03-26-2015, 02:34 PM

debatable.

His height/length gives him some advantages, but Price was just the shooter Curry is, while being arguably as good if not better at better handling, finishing abilities, as well as actual PG skills like court-vision, and making the right pass.

Defense I think MP takes it hands down. Yeah Curry is taller, but MP was a scrapper, and gave up nothing on defense.

Anyhow, I do think they're similar players, and I can't think of anyone other than MP to compare Curry to.

SHAQisGOAT
03-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Personally, I think the comparison is valid.

Other than a few nuances, their respective skill-sets are relatively similar.

True

Duncan21formvp
03-26-2015, 03:20 PM
I think they are the same level

bizil
03-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Steph is evolving what Price and Nash brought to the table. Scoring wise, Curry looks to ring up more points than those two did. BUT Price and Nash were capable of taking over games on an alpha dog level. All three set the standard at PG in terms of great shooting, slashing, and passing as a package.

Nash and Curry are gonna get their props historically. But Price WAS THE ORIGINATOR and at his best was All NBA 1st team. I think Price has started to become underrated by many.

Siemens
03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
They have some similarities, but as career goes, I think Curry will achieve more (if his glass ankles holds).

That is pretty easy to say simply because if Curry accomplishes anything further in his career, then it is more than Price. Loved price though, and they are similar types of players. Curry is just a bit of an upgrade.

FatComputerNerd
03-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Price > Curry

Price would probably be the best PG in the league today.

Price was like Nash but with good D and a killer mentality.

fandarko
03-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Price > Curry

Mark Price was my idol growing up.

Having said that, Curry is currently better than he ever was, period.

Price was an all star PG. Curry is a superstar.

fandarko
03-27-2015, 05:28 PM

True.

And that's coming someone who idolized Price back in the day.

tontoz
03-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Both guys shot lights out with very quick releases, probably the quickest i can recall. Under today's rules i think Price would have definitely scored more.

I like both. Hard to choose between them.

Bird
03-27-2015, 07:52 PM
True.

And that's coming someone who idolized Price back in the day.

That's coming from TWO of us who idolized Price now.

Loved the guy. Like, loved every part of his game. As a short white guy, I emulated the way he played.

BUT, Curry is definitely better than Price ever was, right now. He's THE guy I would want with the ball in his hands, down 3 or less with like 10 seconds on the clock.

He's a lock for 1st team All NBA and a top 3 MVP candidate.

Collie
03-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Mark Price was a great shooter, one of the GOATs, but I don't think we've ever seen someone like Curry. This is a guy who shoots with a hand in his face, 3 steps away from the 3 point line and makes it regularly. Mark Price, like Nash, was an opportunistic shooter who often shot when it was the best shot to take, or as a last resort. Curry will shoot and drain without conscience.

Bigsmoke
03-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Price > Curry

You're going a little overboard. no?

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 07:47 PM
The NBA has never seen a guy quite like Curry. First off, his ability to get a shot off in a nanosecond AND be deadly from deep is special. That alone makes him a valueable commodity at the NBA level. But you add in his size as a PG and his handles and his ability to break down a defender and take it to the rack or find the open man and this guy is unique. If this guy played on a bad team, he could easily score 30 ppg and dish out 8 assists. But he is restriced by playing on a great team that is looking to win it all.

OldSchoolBBall
03-28-2015, 08:06 PM

The play at the 42 second mark is incredible. Splits the P&R with a spin dribble at full speed and then the dipsy-doo finish with english off the glass while going away from the basket.

Bigsmoke
02-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Folks really think this shit?

FatComputerNerd
02-13-2016, 11:10 AM
I still think very similar players.

I might rescind on Price > Curry though.

Curry has really taken it to the next level.