PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan 2nd all time in Playoff Double-Doubles

unbreakable
05-15-2013, 05:08 AM
http://s13.postimg.org/q6jz1ktnb/BKR0_Mqh_CAAMjr3v_jpg_large.jpg

:bowdown:

Look at that company! Outside of Magic, that is practically the mount rushmore of bigmen, and Duncan leads them all.

GOAT PF. Arguably GOAT bigman.

p.s. wheres kareem? wheres hakeem? :oldlol:
and people wanna leave duncan outside of the top 5 all time smh

irriducibili
05-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Can he become 1st though?

BoutPractice
If he plays 2-3 more years, he has a shot at dethroning Magic.

maybeshewill13
Mr Fundamental :applause:

Doubt it, but it's possible.

Nero Tulip
05-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Magic was his hero growing up. I bet he'd like to pass him. Sounds possible too.

AintNoSunshine
05-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Magic?!?!?!

unbreakable
05-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Magic?!?!?!

no kidding. apparently alot of his doubles are both Pts/Assists and Pts/Reb, while bigmen are usually Pts/Reb

:bowdown:

Crafty
05-15-2013, 05:21 AM
He will surpass him "only" 2014/15

Ancient Legend
05-15-2013, 05:22 AM
So Magic is the all time leader in playoff Double-Doubles and probably DPs :oldlol:

All Net
05-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Legend :cheers:

Yankstar
05-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Duncan's good and all but he is lucky Kobe didn't go all assistbe on his a** in the playoffs or he would be third. :bowdown:

rmt
05-15-2013, 07:37 AM

If they get by GS, that's another possible 6 games - even with a sweep by MEM. That's a possible 149 - leaving 8 - which would be 2 years' (the length of his current contract) 1st round sweeps. So very possible.

Then he'd be the holder of 2 post-season records - number of blocks and double-doubles.

KobesFinger
05-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Where are Kareem and the two Malones?

Edit - 3 Lakers on the top 5 :pimp:

Brunch@Five
05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Hakeem had 95 double-doubles since 85-86.
Malone had 100.

Artillery
05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Where are Kareem and the two Malones?

Edit - 3 Lakers on the top 5 :pimp:

Kareem was not a great rebounder in the 80s. Still a potent scorer but his rebound rate wasn't that impressive. His career rebound percentage in the playoffs is 14.5%. In comparison, Dirk's career rebound percentage is 14.3%.

SCdac
05-15-2013, 10:50 AM
http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tim-duncan-draft.jpg

Dude has been amazingly consistent from day 1 :bowdown:

Put up 32 pts / 10 rbs in his first playoff game 15 years ago.

ReturnofJPR
05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
And haters say Tim D. is not Top 10 ever...what BS!

Scholar
05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
This just shows how great Tim Duncan truly is. Magic Johnson is the most impressive on the list, though.

Kblaze8855
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
I love Duncan....but things like this really should come with an explanation. Russell played a lot less playoff games despite going to 12 finals because he had less rounds to get there. And later in Hakeem, Kareem, Bird, magic, and so ons day...first seeds got a bye some of that time and had 3 game first round series when they didnt....so...no 7 game first rounds and 4 full rounds to get extra games played.

Wilt had 10 rebounds or more in every game of his career. So he would have one every playoff game other than the few he scored under 10 points.

Give him 4 rounds....4 games at least each...have him make the 6 six finals...

Im not sure how it changes the numbers. But they change.

Duncan is still near the top since hes played longer than those guys(kareem/hakeem aside) did. But I still felt it was fair to mention.

ReturnofJPR
05-15-2013, 02:21 PM
I love Duncan....but things like this really should come with an explanation. Russell played a lot less playoff games despite going to 12 finals because he had less rounds to get there. And later in Hakeem, Kareem, Bird, magic, and so ons day...first seeds got a bye some of that time and had 3 game first round series when they didnt....so...no 7 game first rounds and 4 full rounds to get extra games played.

Wilt had 10 rebounds or more in every game of his career. So he would have one every playoff game other than the few he scored under 10 points.

Duncan is still near the top since hes played longer than those guys(kareem/hakeem aside) did. But I still felt it was fair to mention.

So you think Gale Sayers is the greatest RB ever, right?

La Frescobaldi
05-15-2013, 02:21 PM

True.

Chamberlain played in a total of 160 playoff games; he got a double double in 143 of them.
8 of the 17 playoff games he missed getting 10 or more points... were in his last season, at age 36 (which was MIGHTY OLD back then).

Nevertheless - Duncan cementing his all time greatness a little more!!
edit.......... and for one other thing about Timmy D - the dude has been one of the most exciting centers to ever play the game. I'm calling them out right now: People that say he's boring........... are boring themselves.

Kellogs4toniee
05-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Why are people surprised Magic is 1st. :confusedshrug:

He only averaged a near triple double in his playoff career and played like what, 99999 playoff games?

ReturnofJPR
05-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Why are people surprised Magic is 1st. :confusedshrug:

He only averaged a near triple double in his playoff career and played like what, 99999 playoff games?

Because they're thinking rebounds and not assists...

LAZERUSS
05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
So you think Gale Sayers is the greatest RB ever, right?

He had 3 1/2 seasons of brilliance, and then was cut down by major injuries. There are those that believe he might have been the greatest all-around back in NFL history.

In any case, there are a couple of schools of thought here. Do you prefer Don Sutton or Sandy Koufax? One pitched for 20 years and had one 20 win season, and he was seldom even the best pitcher on his own team. Koufax was ordinary for over half of his relatively short career, then dominated baseball like few other's (take a look at how his Dodgers did in '62, '63, '65 and '66...and then where they finished when he missed 1/4 of the season in '64, and the year after he retired.)

As for Duncan...he has had a long, and great, NBA career.

And as for Wilt...in the first half of his post-season career, he averaged 30 ppg, 27 rpg, 4.5 apg, and shot .515...per game. And who knows how many blocked shots (he averaged some 6-7 per game in his last two post-seasons for cryingoutloud.) Included were four 50+ point games, three of which were in "must-win" games (including a 50-35 game against Russell.) He also had entire post-seasons of 33 ppg, 35 ppg, 35 ppg, and 37 ppg. Included were entire series of 37 ppg, 37 ppg, and 39 ppg. He even had playoff series against Russell of 28-30, 29-27, 30-27, 30-31 (on .555 shooting), and 33-27.

And forget "double-double's" with Chamberlain. How about eight entire post-seasons of 20+-20+? And a slew of 30-30 games, including games of 42-37, 45-27, 46-34, 50-22, 50-35, 53-22, and 56-35. Or two straight post-season series of 28-27-11 .612 and 22-32-10 .556 (the latter against Russell.) And here again, had blocked shots been officially recorded, probably many "triple-and even quad doubles."

BTW, a "prime scoring" Chamberlain (in his "scoring" seasons), played in 80 playoff games, and outscored his opposing center in 78 of them. And I suspect he outrebounded them in probably somewhere around 60 of them.

So, if you were attempting to make a comparison of Wilt to Sayers...well, take a second look.

Deuce Bigalow
05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
He had 3 1/2 seasons of brilliance, and then was cut down by major injuries. There are those that believe he might have been the greatest all-around back in NFL history.

In any case, there are a couple of schools of thought here. Do you prefer Don Sutton or Sandy Koufax? One pitched for 20 years and had one 20 win season, and he was seldom even the best pitcher on his own team. Koufax was ordinary for over half of his relatively short career, then dominated baseball like few other's (take a look at how his Dodgers did in '62, '63, '65 and '66...and then where they finished when he missed 1/4 of the season in '64, and the year after he retired.)

As for Duncan...he has had a long, and great, NBA career.

And as for Wilt...in the first half of his post-season career, he averaged 30 ppg, 27 rpg, 4.5 apg, and shot .515...per game. And who knows how many blocked shots (he averaged some 6-7 per game in his last two post-seasons for cryingoutloud.) Included were four 50+ point games, three of which were in "must-win" games (including a 50-35 game against Russell.) He also had entire post-seasons of 33 ppg, 35 ppg, 35 ppg, and 37 ppg. Included were entire series of 37 ppg, 37 ppg, and 39 ppg. He even had playoff series against Russell of 28-30, 29-27, 30-27, 30-31 (on .555 shooting), and 33-27.

And forget "double-double's" with Chamberlain. How about eight entire post-seasons of 20+-20+? And a slew of 30-30 games, including games of 42-37, 45-27, 46-34, 50-22, 50-35, 53-22, and 56-35. Or two straight post-season series of 28-27-11 .612 and 22-32-10 .556 (the latter against Russell.) And here again, had blocked shots been officially recorded, probably many "triple-and even quad doubles."

BTW, a "prime scoring" Chamberlain (in his "scoring" seasons), played in 80 playoff games, and outscored his opposing center in 78 of them. And I suspect he outrebounded them in probably somewhere around 60 of them.

So, if you were attempting to make a comparison of Wilt to Sayers...well, take a second look.
You just had to add Wilt yet AGAIN. Wilt is not mentioned in the Playoffs, he is a regular season great. Always trying to prop up his playoff "career" is shameful.

Solid Snake
05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm gonna explain exactly why people are so "on the fence" about making him a definitive top 10. Note, I don't necessarily have an opinion, but just explaining why I feel people don't have him as a lock.

Look at his PPG year by year. It's surprisingly low. You'd think this guy was scoring in the mid to high 20s. He's actually only cracked the mid 20s in PPG ONCE in his whole career, every other year was pretty much 21ppg - 23ppg.

That doesn't paint the whole picture, as he was a defensive beast, and was very unselfish. BUT>........look at every other big man in what's usually considered the defacto top 10 list. Notice anything? They ALL have mid to high 20s in PPG, if not higher.

That's the reason. Duncan's career scoring average is deceptively low.

fpliii
05-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm gonna explain exactly why people are so "on the fence" about making him a definitive top 10. Note, I don't necessarily have an opinion, but just explaining why I feel people don't have him as a lock.

Look at his PPG year by year. It's surprisingly low. You'd think this guy was scoring in the mid to high 20s. He's actually only cracked the mid 20s in PPG ONCE in his whole career, every other year was pretty much 21ppg - 23ppg.

That doesn't paint the whole picture, as he was a defensive beast, and was very unselfish. BUT>........look at every other big man in what's usually considered the defacto top 10 list. Notice anything? They ALL have mid to high 20s in PPG, if not higher.

Russell?

LAZERUSS
05-15-2013, 09:16 PM
You just had to add Wilt yet AGAIN. Wilt is not mentioned in the Playoffs, he is a regular season great. Always trying to prop up his playoff "career" is shameful.

Maybe you can't read. Wilt IS mentioned in the OP. And Duncan playing in 199 post-season games to Wilt's 160, just "equalled" Wilt's 143 career "double-doubles." Of course, had blocked shots been recorded in Chamberlain's day, he would have considerably more. And no one had more 20-20 playoff games that Chamberlain (or 30-20, 30-30, or 40-20, 40-30, or 50-20, or 50-30, either.)

SCdac
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM

But shouldn't we consider context?

First off, Spurs are a slow team, low scoring team. Particularly when they were most dominant. So a 20 point game from a Spurs player really means more than for an average team.

Also, Duncan has been the ultimate "team player", thus allowing his teams in the second half of his career to go far, and it's not like he's lacking the skills to get him 25-35 point games (he's done it too many times for it to be an anomaly).

In other words, don't you think if Duncan was in place of Garnett on those crappy Wolves teams his scoring averages would be higher for more seasons?

If anything, Duncan will probably become an underrated scorer to the masses who didn't really get to watch him play in his prime. In his third or fourth season, I remember he dropped a then career high 46 points on Malone and the Jazz.

Deuce Bigalow
05-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Maybe you can't read. Wilt IS mentioned in the OP. And Duncan playing in 199 post-season games to Wilt's 160, just "equalled" Wilt's 143 career "double-doubles." Of course, had blocked shots been recorded in Chamberlain's day, he would have considerably more. And no one had more 20-20 playoff games that Chamberlain (or 30-20, 30-30, or 40-20, 40-30, or 0-20, or50-30, either.)
Can you say REGULAR SEASON?

LAZERUSS
05-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Can you say REGULAR SEASON?

Ok, give me an example of another player who averaged a 30 ppg, 27 rpg, 5 apg, .515 (and probably 8+ bpg) over the course of his first 80 playoff games. Hell, give me a player who averaged that over the course of ONE playoff series. In fact, you would only find a few examples of that in SINGLE games...much less over the course of 80. Oh, and BTW, he was just overwhelming his opposing centers in the process.

Deuce Bigalow
05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Ok, give me an example of another player who averaged a 30 ppg, 27 rpg, 5 apg, .515 (and probably 8+ bpg) over the course of his first 80 playoff games. Hell, give me a player who averaged that over the course of ONE playoff series. In fact, you would only find a few examples of that in SINGLE games...much less over the course of 80. Oh, and BTW, he was just overwhelming his opposing centers in the process.
Give me an example of teams averaging 60-70 rpg in the modern era.

LAZERUSS
05-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Give me an example of teams averaging 60-70 rpg in the modern era.

How about Wilt averaging 22.5 rpg in his last post-season, covering 17 games (and in which he just abused Thurmond and Reed on the glass), in a post-season in which the league averaged 50.6 rpg?

BTW, Chamberlain outrebounded his opposing center in EVERY one of his 29 post-season series. Give me an example of another all-time great who did that.

Deuce Bigalow
05-15-2013, 09:43 PM
How about Wilt averaging 22.5 rpg in his last post-season, covering 17 games (and in which he just abused Thurmond and Reed on the glass), in a post-season in which the league averaged 50.6 rpg?

BTW, Chamberlain outrebounded his opposing center in EVERY one of his 29 post-season series. Give me an example of another all-time great who did that.
21.7 TRB% his last 3 postseasons.
Dwight "Wilt" Howard's postseason career: 22.2 TRB%

LAZERUSS
05-15-2013, 09:47 PM

So a Wilt, in his last three seasons, and playing on a surgically repaired knee, averaged nearly as high a rebound% as a prime Howard. BTW, give me a list of great rebounders that Howard faced in that span. Did he face a Russell, Thurmond, Lucas, or Kareem?

Of course, we don't have a prime Chamberlain's playoff percentages, but in the '67 ECF's, and against Russell, Chamberlain was over 25%, with three games (in a five game series), of 27, 28 and 30% (32 of 120, 36 of 128, and 41 of 134.)

Here again, what we do know is that Wilt outrebounded every player on the court in his 29 post-season series, and often by huge margins.

Deuce Bigalow
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
So a Wilt, in his last three seasons, and playing on a surgically repaired knee, averaged nearly as high a rebound% as a prime Howard. BTW, give me a list of great rebounders that Howard faced in that span. Did he face a Russell, Thurmond, Lucas, or Kareem?

Of course, we don't have a prime Chamberlain's playoff percentages, but in the '67 ECF's, and against Russell, Chamberlain was over 25%, with three games (in a five game series), of 27, 28 and 30% (32 of 120, 36 of 128, and 41 of 134.)

Here again, what we do know is that Wilt outrebounded every player on the court in his 29 post-season series, and often by huge margins.
List all the 7 footers that weighed over 225 pounds that Wilt played.

rmt
05-15-2013, 09:56 PM

False. Bill Russell averaged 15 pt/game. Not once did he even average 19 pts/game. Yet you probably have no problem putting him in your top 10.

Shaq averaged 23.7 pts/game and Hakeem averaged 21.8 pts/game - hardly in the mid to high 20s.

Round Mound
05-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Barkley Was The Best Rebounder after Wilt in the Play-Offs In Terms of Players that Scored Alot and Also Rebounded Alot at The Same Time.

Round Mound
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM

:oldlol:

[B]Most Rebound Champions are in the 6

Kblaze8855
05-15-2013, 10:27 PM

In the 40 years since wilt led the NBA in rebounding last...36 times the league leader wouldnt meet those criteria.

By official weights/heights(what people like you pretend they dont know are inaccurate since rookie sizes are used for old players)....

Kg
Dwight
Hakeem
Kareem
Rodman
Barkley
Love
Webber
Wallace
Cage
Barkley
Laimbeer
Moses
Nater
Walton
Truck Robinson
Unseld
Hayes

None of them.

Also out....

Zo
bob Lanier
Cowens
Nate thurmond
Duncan
Karl Malone
Buck williams
Marcus Camby
Randolph
Marion

And on and on.

Great bigmen...or great rebounders...whatever...

Being 7 feet tall and listed at 225+?

You wipe out most of the best bigmen and rebounders ever.

ThaRegul8r
05-15-2013, 11:36 PM

Which, ironically, is about the same as Wilt's entire career which is in the books, while Dwight isn't even 10 years in and hasn't hit his decline phase yet:

NBA Career Playoff Records for Total Rebound Pct

1. Wilt Chamberlain 22.19
2. Dwight Howard 22.18

When I originally posted playoff TRB% on this board with Wilt and Russell included, Howard was first at 22.31. It's decreased by 0.13 since then and will come down even further.

LAZERUSS
05-16-2013, 12:46 AM

I always get a kick out of those that will try anything to diminish, or disparage, what Wilt accomplished.

How about this? A prime Howard averaged 22.2%...playing less than 39 mpg in the post-season (once again...rebound%...not rpg.) Your example of a 34, 35, and 36 year old Wilt at 21.1% combined in those three post-seasons...was accomplished at slightly less than 47 mpg.

So those that are quick to use Chamberlain's mpg stat against him, had better be willing to concede that using players who played 40 mpg, or less, and asking them to continue to rebound at the same rate, while playing 47 mpg, would be ridiculous. The real question would be, just how much lower would that percentage drop if they had to play those kind of minutes?

And really rebound% is flawed from this standpoint. Who were they battling against?

Let me give you a great example. Tom Boerwinkle, who was a legit 7-0 and 260 lbs (and I believe he weighed as much as 280 at one time) went h2h with Chamberlain in Wilt's last season, in a seven game playoff series. Now, keep in mind that Boerwinkle had averaged a 21.1% during the regular season. He also averaged 2.8 fouls per game in the regular season, and playing 22 mpg in the process. In the 72-73 playoffs, and against Wilt, he grabbed 9 rebounds in a total of 30 minutes, with a rebound rate of 13.5%. Not only that, but he picked up 7 fouls in those 30 minutes, or well over doubel his normal rate. How about Wilt in that series? 172 rebounds in 336 minutes, and 24.6 rpg. And I suspect his rebound% was well into the 20's.

Once again, though, Wilt just outrebounded everyone. He outrebounded Thurmond in nearly everyone of their 17 post-season games. And how about this? In his last regular season, Chamberlain averaged 18.6 rpg. Thurmond came in second in the league at 17.1 rpg. The two went h2h in the WCF's, and all Wilt did was outrebound him by a margin of 23.6 rpg to 17.2 rpg.

HOFer Reed? Without taking the time to look it up, I suspect that Wilt outrebounded him in every post-season game...and some by huge margins.

Russell? The two met eight times in the post-season...and Wilt outrebounded him in every one of those series. And he had margins of 30-26, 31-25, and even 32-23 in those series.

An old Wilt battled a prime Kareem in two playoff series, and he outrebounded him in both, and by an average of two per game.

You can go right down the list, too. We know that Wilt outrebounded Russell in about 2/3's of their 143 h2h games (and outrebounded him by five per game on average.) Given that fact, there is a strong possibility that Chamberlain was the leading rebounder in perhaps as much as 80% of the games in which he played in his entire career...covering 1200 of them.

gengiskhan
05-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Still NO Charles Barkley.

Round Mound
05-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Still NO Charles Barkley.

[B]I Added Some Comments Perviously. But Ofcourse I Got No Responses. :confusedshrug:

It Must Have Sucked Being Only 6