PDA

View Full Version : The difference between Kobe and Jordan...Phil Jackson nails it...

crisoner
05-16-2013, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE]

guy
05-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Jordan's also clearly more physically gifted.

crisoner
05-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Explain....I seen them both play live and during their primes. Please explain yourself on how.

guy
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Explain....I seen them both play live and during their primes. Please explain yourself on how.

Faster, quicker, leaping, body control, bigger hands. Umm, I thought this was universally accepted?

BrickingStar
05-16-2013, 02:43 PM
In other words bball IQ. Lol and it's bright as day that MJ was more athletically gifted , are you ****ing serious OP?

K Xerxes
05-16-2013, 02:45 PM

And Kobe is more physically gifted than Isiah Thomas, who is in turn more gifted than me. Ohh, if only I was taller, could jump higher, was faster and stronger, I'd be the GOAT by now.

I will never understand this physical gifts argument. It just leads to untenable double standards.

guy
05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
And Kobe is more physically gifted than Isiah Thomas, who is in turn more gifted than me. Ohh, if only I was taller, could jump higher, was faster and stronger, I'd be the GOAT by now.

I will never understand this physical gifts argument. It just leads to untenable double standards.

Ummm it wasn't a knock. I'm a Jordan fan, and would be considered here as anti-Kobe. He's clearly more physical gifted, which doesn't downplay how much better he is then Kobe regardless.

chosen_wun
05-16-2013, 02:59 PM

It's not a knock to be physically gifted. It just means no matter how hard the other guy works on his game, its in your DNA to be better than he is.

Dragonyeuw
05-16-2013, 03:05 PM
*grabs popcorn*

http://img.pandawhale.com/44950-Dis-gon-b-gud--this-is-gonna-b-28wH.gif

tmacattack33
05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Faster, quicker, leaping, body control, bigger hands. Umm, I thought this was universally accepted?

It is. Michael Jordan was one of the best athletes ever to play in the NBA. 45 + inch vertical...with some claiming it close to 48'' at his peak. Ridiculous quickness. Amazing full out sprint speed...with some reports of a 4.4 40 yard dash or something like that.

Doctor Rivers
05-16-2013, 03:23 PM

wrong

kamil
05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
This is it right here.

I think talent wise at their primes both are very similar.
But this right here it was separates them.
Jordan is the calmer and well thought out player.
And Kobe goes towards shooting through his problems.

So basically, Kobe Bryant is a chucker until things go his way.

Phil Jackson confirms this.

Solefade
05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
on a scale of 1-10, how mad are Kobe stans? How many times will they mention LeBron in a thread about MJ/Kobe?

bmd
05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Jordan may be a little more physically gifted... but not where it makes a big difference.

Jordan could jump a little higher and may be slightly quicker.

It's not going to make much of a difference in the games.

K Xerxes
05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
wrong

Thanks for the insight.

KG215
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
on a scale of 1-10, how mad are Kobe stans? How many times will they mention LeBron in a thread about MJ/Kobe?
:wtf:

You're the first one that mentioned LeBron.

kamil
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Jordan may be a little more physically gifted... but not where it makes a big difference.

Uh, yes it will. LOL, its that fraction of second that makes ALL the difference.

ripthekik
05-16-2013, 03:49 PM
lmao, ain't nobody mad in here. And nobody has mentioned that faaagit because he doesn't belong in the comparison of MJ/Kobe :pimp:

bmd
05-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Uh, yes it will. LOL, its that fraction of second that makes ALL the difference.No. You just have to be quicker than the defender. It's not like Jordan is the Flash and Kobe is in quicksand. The difference in quickness is so small that it makes no difference.

andgar923
05-16-2013, 03:57 PM
No. You just have to be quicker than the defender. It's not like Jordan is the Flash and Kobe is in quicksand. The difference in quickness is so small that it makes no difference.
MJ was noticeably more athletic. It's the difference between getting a shot contested or getting an open look. It's the difference between getting to the hole and finishing and not being able to.

Levity
05-16-2013, 03:58 PM

just cause you wanna butt fvck lebron all day every day, doesnt mean you need to bring him up in every thread that has nothing to do with him.

(e)
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
So basically, Kobe Bryant is a chucker until things go his way.

Phil Jackson confirms this.
Troll

Nash
05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
That explanation could be used for Lebron as well.

alleykat
05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
exactly!

great quote......
doesn't matter how talented or skilled you are, it's how well you play the game.

*** u know what guys here on ISH call it? stat-padding. Seems like almost none of them play basketball...

keep-itreal
05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Kobe will pound away relentlessly until his luck turns.
http://www.theotherfifteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bryantkobe.jpg

Shepseskaf
05-16-2013, 05:02 PM
:roll:

Seriously, though, I think Jordan was a more skilled, fluid athlete than Kobe but I'm not seeing huge differences in quickness/speed during both their primes.

BlackVVaves
05-16-2013, 05:07 PM
This is it right here.

I think talent wise at their primes both are very similar.
But this right here it was separates them.

That, and Jordan was a much better...and SMARTER...defender.

And, had better shot selection in the course of a game.

And, was a tad better facilitator (though not as much as people try to say, generally speaking).

Micku
05-16-2013, 05:12 PM

It does when he jumps high on fadeways in terms of jumping and hang time. Sometimes like he just so high that he can get a better view on the basket, and the opponent can barely get up there or he has enough hang time and bigger hands to get a better clear view of the shot. So, it helps on those little things.

Him being quicker would help with passing lanes, steals and defense. And he is better blowing by his opponents with the quickness he has. And his quickness goes with his footwork. So, he'll attack faster to throw defender off instead of iso and dribbling around to size his defender up like Kobe do.

razzredazzre
05-16-2013, 05:17 PM
people work hard to gain that "little" difference.. don't say being a little quicker does not make a difference..

TheWalkman
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

LLK21
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
inb4 20 pages

9erempiree
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Phil also said he would never coach Kobe again in his first book.

MJ better defender and leader?

Take it for a grain of salt.

stephanieg
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure why anyone cares. What, didn't read his first book where he blasts Kobe for being a cancer?

9erempiree
05-16-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure why anyone cares. What, didn't read his first book where he blasts Kobe for being a cancer?

He blasts Kobe and then he comes creeping back to coach Kobe.

:facepalm

jzek
05-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Which is why Jordan never lost in the Finals and was always the FMVP. :bowdown:

Xiengqichess
05-16-2013, 05:49 PM
That accually shows how good Kobe's skill is. He had a career neck to neck with Jordan with all the negativities. I am a fan of Kobe and I could know the difference between them exactly what Phil Jackson wrote.

Solefade
05-16-2013, 05:53 PM
just cause you wanna butt fvck lebron all day every day, doesnt mean you need to bring him up in every thread that has nothing to do with him.

Whoa there, I was just simply asking a question :confusedshrug:

And I only talk about LeBron in threads where it's already brought up.

Brunch@Five
05-16-2013, 05:56 PM

you're way off.
Let's say they are on par skills-wise and BBall IQ (which is untrue, but let's assume).

MJ is slightly taller, has a bigger wingspan, has larger hands, is quicker, faster, jumps higher. Kobe is his equal in body stability, endurance and toughness.
Have you played ball and realized how much of a difference hand size alone makes? Kobe is known to have rather small hands.
Jason Kidd and Magic are two other players who are known to have huge hands. It's no accident they are two of the best ball-handlers and passers ever.

retaxis
05-16-2013, 06:04 PM
People forget that Jordan is also much stronger then Kobe. The guy could post up back up on anyone just about.

guy
05-16-2013, 07:04 PM
That accually shows how good Kobe's skill is. He had a career neck to neck with Jordan with all the negativities. I am a fan of Kobe and I could know the difference between them exactly what Phil Jackson wrote.

Umm there careers are not neck and neck.

kurple
05-16-2013, 07:06 PM
well, the difference between kobe and JR smith is phil jackson

Straight_Ballin
05-16-2013, 07:10 PM

What you quoted is one of MANY differences between the GOAT and Kobe. Lets not get carried away and try to paint a picture of these guys being close, because Jordan is worlds appart.

OldSchoolBBall
05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Phil also said he would never coach Kobe again in his first book.

MJ better defender and leader?

Take it for a grain of salt.

Jordan was much of a better defender than Kobe that it's not even worth discussing. Kobe has never even approached prime MJ's defensive impact ('88-'93).

Straight_Ballin
05-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Jordan was much of a better defender than Kobe that it's not even worth discussing. Kobe has never even approached prime MJ's defensive impact ('88-'93).

And it's not even close. I'll never understand why anyone tries to say that Kobe comes close. Kobe is a great player is his own right, but this is the GOAT were talking about here. A guy who developed Pippen into a superstar through constant training and excellent mentoring, not a guy that joined with a superstar which is mediocre action at best and says speaks volumes.

SpecialQue
05-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Which is why Jordan never lost in the Finals and was always the FMVP. :bowdown:

And the explanation for his playoff loses?

sportjames23
05-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Um, because his teams sucked back then.

You realize once he got quality teammates and played a full season, the Bulls never lost another playoff series, right?

Why so mad, bro?

sportjames23
05-16-2013, 08:18 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

The denial of reality of Kobe fans is what slays me.

diamenz
05-16-2013, 08:25 PM

you're comparing teams, not players.

SpecialQue
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Um, because his teams sucked back then.

You realize once he got quality teammates and played a full season, the Bulls never lost another playoff series, right?

Why so mad, bro?

Ah, I see. 1995 never happened.

Also, I don't give a shit about Kobe, I just hate the deification of Jordan.

OldSchoolBBall
05-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Playing against some of the best teams of ALL TIME with an '06 Lakers level cast? :confusedshrug:

SamuraiSWISH
05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Playing against some of the best teams of ALL TIME with an '06 Lakers level cast? :confusedshrug:
You give too much credit, I'd argue 2006 and 2007 Lamar Odom was better than 1989 and 1990 Pippen as sidekicks.

People love to act as if Pippen was of '91 and '92 caliber from the moment he entered the league.

MJ dragged some very talentless squads into the ECF two years in a row, and put up a fight against the soon to be NBA championships. So MJ took comparable squads (from a talent perspective, not record) in '89 and '90 to the ECF, where as Kobe didn't pull the 2006 and 2007 Lakers out the first round.

There is something to be said for a great player dragging a team of trash into the playoffs when they don't belong, such as Kobe's 2006 and 2007 Lakers. It's a horse of a different color to drag the same non playoff caliber talent roster to the conference finals, and put up a fight against the soon to be champions.

Kind of highlights the difference in impact on the game between MJ (nearing his peak) v.s. Kobe at his absolute peak as a player in 2006 and 2007. Agreed?

OldSchoolBBall
05-16-2013, 11:06 PM
You give too much credit, I'd argue 2006 and 2007 Lamar Odom was better than 1989 and 1990 Pippen as sidekicks.

People love to act as if Pippen was of '91 and '92 caliber from the moment he entered the league.

MJ dragged some very talentless squads into the ECF two years in a row, and put up a fight against the soon to be NBA championships. So MJ took comparable squads (from a talent perspective, not record) in '89 and '90 to the ECF, where as Kobe didn't pull the 2006 and 2007 Lakers out the first round.

There is something to be said for a great player dragging a team of trash into the playoffs when they don't belong, such as Kobe's 2006 and 2007 Lakers. It's a horse of a different color to drag the same non playoff caliber talent roster to the conference finals, and put up a fight against the soon to be champions.

Kind of highlights the difference in impact on the game between MJ (nearing his peak) v.s. Kobe at his absolute peak as a player in 2006 and 2007. Agreed?

Definitely.