PDA

View Full Version : The myth behind kobes 6-24 game 7.

Mr. Jabbar
05-16-2013, 07:35 PM
So, since rewriting history has become kobe haters latest hobby I find it appropriate to share some knowledge and numbers with ya'll, lets take a look at kobes teammates shooting for that game:

gasol: 6-16
Metta: 7-18
Bynum: 1-5
Odom: 3-8

Thats right folks, no1 bailed godbe out of a bad shooting night, everyone had a bad shooting night because surprise, '10 celtics are contenders for best defensive team in history. But guess what? Rebounds and D are what won that game, kobe played lock down D and hustled for 15 rebounds as a shooting guard, not a feat I remember any other shooting guard doing in recent history let alone game 7 of a finals series.

There you go, you learned something new today, go in peace now, you can thank me later :applause:

SamuraiSWISH
05-16-2013, 07:37 PM
I always tell everyone that players on both team had bad nerves and EVERYONE shot bad that game, Celtics included.

Ron Artest was too dumb and crazy to care about nerves, probably not understanding the magnitude of a game 7 of the Finals, and wound up being the best player on the court.

I never thought the 6-24 was a big deal. Especially considering Kobe's rebounding was very important, and he hit a dagger over Ray Allen to seal the deal on the game in the 4th.

jzek
05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Can you also explain the game 7 loss to the Suns in 2006 (I think)? Kobe scored something like 30 pts in the first half and in the second half, he ATTEMPTED something like 2 shots! How can he score so many pts in one half and then attempt like 2 shots in the next? Did he quit on his team? If not, why did he immediately asked to be traded after that series?

Mr. Jabbar
05-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Can you also explain the game 7 loss to the Suns in 2006 (I think)? Kobe scored something like 30 pts in the first half and in the second half, he ATTEMPTED something like 2 shots! How can he score so many pts in one half and then attempt like 2 shots in the next? Did he quit on his team? If not, why did he immediately asked to be traded after that series?

One game at a time son, I will get to that game another day, meanwhile study this thread until you can type it blindfolded

kurple
05-16-2013, 07:41 PM
they won, and thats it

but 6-24 is pretty ****ing horrible. I cant even imagine the kobe stans if Lebron did that in game 7

he should have gotten pretty much all the blame if they had lost that game. and he can consider himself lucky they didnt

SamuraiSWISH
He was pouting and quit on the game. Plain and simple. Can you explain quitting in two consecutive playoffs in the MIDDLE of a series that was winnable in both instances? One of them being an NBA Finals when all the chips were in your favor? ...

Rubio2Gasol
I always tell everyone that players on both team had bad nerves and EVERYONE shot bad that game, Celtics included.

Ron Artest was too dumb and crazy to care about nerves, probably not understanding the magnitude of a game 7 of the Finals, and wound up being the best player on the court.

I never thought the 6-24 was a big deal. Especially considering Kobe's rebounding was very important, and he hit a dagger over Ray Allen to seal the deal on the game in the 4th.

Bad Nerves?

The defense being played in that game , and by extension that series was no shit. It was unbelievable :bowdown:

Rubio2Gasol
05-16-2013, 07:44 PM
He was pouting and quit on the game. Plain and simple. Can you explain quitting in two consecutive playoffs in the MIDDLE of a series that was winnable in both instances? One of them being an NBA Finals when all the chips were in your favor? ...

Which finals was this?

kurple
05-16-2013, 07:45 PM
thats it pretty much. kobe did what was necessary for them to win the game, thats all you need to know
the team did what was necessary for them to win. despite kobe's nerves/sucking

why do kobe stans always have the need to discredit any other lakers players?

BlackVVaves
05-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Though I think its unbecoming of some posters to state that the Lakers won that Game 7 despite Kobe, not (in addition to Pau, the Lakers defense in the second half, and most importantly, rebounding) because of him, what you are saying still does not excuse the leader and most valuable player on a team in the NBA Finals shooting 25% from the floor. You can say the entire team performed below their individual and generally collective standards, but those other teammates aren't considered a Top 10 player of All Time.

Kobe shot poorly. Part of that was the Celtics stellar defense, and part of that was that his shot was just off. HOWEVER, the myth that Kobe got carried to that ring is laughable. Doc Rivers has been on record saying, and anyone that watched that game with half a brain knows, that the game came down to the Lakers ability to crash the boards, particularly in the second half, limiting the Celtics to one possession, while on the other side giving themselves multiple possessions after offensive rebounds.

Kobe with 15 rebounds signifies how he impacted the game, as it came down to rebounds and defense (probably his last great defensive effort). Couple with Pau dominating the boards as well, and hitting some clutch shots and free throws in the fourth, and you have a 2010 champion.

That's what happened. Nothing less, nothing more.

diamenz
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
people don't hate on kobe - they hate on the silly kobe stans.

rmt
So, since rewriting history has become kobe haters latest hobby I find it appropriate to share some knowledge and numbers with ya'll, lets take a look at kobes teammates shooting for that game:

gasol: 6-16
Metta: 7-18
Bynum: 1-5
Odom: 3-8

Thats right folks, no1 bailed godbe out of a bad shooting night, everyone had a bad shooting night because surprise, '10 celtics are contenders for best defensive team in history. But guess what? Rebounds and D are what won that game, kobe played lock down D and hustled for 15 rebounds as a shooting guard, not a feat I remember any other shooting guard doing in recent history let alone game 7 of a finals series.

There you go, you learned something new today, go in peace now, you can thank me later :applause:

Here's Kobe's explanation:

"... the more I tried to push, the more it kept getting away from me.

Mr. Jabbar
the team did what was necessary for them to win. despite kobe's nerves/sucking

why do kobe stans always have the need to discredit any other lakers players?

I'm sorry haven't you learned anything? I just showed you how everyone shot bad, and how defensive juggernauts those celtics were, why do you insist some player I'm clearly missing bailed kobe out, or how he was more nervous than anyone?

If anything, its kobe haters that try to make all about that game be "6-24"

dont be one of them

Mr. Jabbar
05-16-2013, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=rmt]

"... I wanted it so bad, and sometimes when you want it so bad, it slips away from you. My guys picked me up.

kurple
05-16-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry haven't you learned anything? I just showed you how everyone shot bad, and how defensive juggernauts those celtics were, why do you insist some player I'm clearly missing bailed kobe out, or how he was more nervous than anyone?

If anything, its kobe haters that try to make all about that game be "6-24"

dont be one of them
no one was great, but kobe was by far the worst (shooting wise)

and kobe was the leader of the team. him having a historicly bad game could have had an effect on soft minds like Pau and Lamar

this is not about the kobe haters, i have never made a thread about this topic. you did. trying to discredit his teammates

SamuraiSWISH
Bad Nerves?
Yes nerves, everyone was NERVOUS given the magnitude of the game. Kobe was pressing, and forcing it as he's prone to do because it was a potential legacy game. It shot him in the foot with nerves and efficiency (kid was air balling shots like he was 18 again) ... but he redeemed himself with defense and rebounding. And yes, the defense being played was absolutely stellar.

sportjames23
Kobe stans on the defensive since Phil's new book. :oldlol:

LongLiveTheKing
05-16-2013, 07:54 PM
such humblesness after 15 rebounds :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
We all know if it was LeBron he would've been stat-padding. Lebron in his finals had 8 assists or 7 rebounds almost every game, yet he gets ridiculed.
But Kobe gets 15 rebounds he's the best.
Basically his teammates hit big shots for him to win this game and he got 15 rebounds, that's how you summarize this game.

kurple
05-16-2013, 07:57 PM
dude, 6-24

it's one thing to shoot 25% when you are perkins shooting 3 shots a game. but shooting 24 times missing 18 of them in game 7 of the finals is pretty BAD

rmt
05-16-2013, 07:58 PM
In the world I live in, 37.5% (Pau), 38.9% (MWP), and 37.5% (Odom) is a LOT more than 25% (Kobe).

LongLiveTheKing
05-16-2013, 07:59 PM
lebrons finals feats include sweeps, disappearing and losing, there's not much there to compare with kobe really...
But he had assists and rebounds??????? :confusedshrug:

chosen_wun
05-16-2013, 08:01 PM
I remember that game like it was yesterday, everyone was shooting so bad that players just started getting rebounds in their laps. What a game to get 15 rebounds by the worst shooter on the floor that night :applause:

How many were offensive ?

Mr. Jabbar
05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
In the world I live in, 37.5% (Pau), 38.9% (MWP), and 37.5% (Odom)

DOSE SAVIOR %'s :bowdown: :bowdown:

good job leaving bynum, "the best center in the league" out of the ecuation too :applause:

Rubio2Gasol
Though I think its unbecoming of some posters to state that the Lakers won that Game 7 despite Kobe, not (in addition to Pau, the Lakers defense in the second half, and most importantly, rebounding) because of him, what you are saying still does not excuse the leader and most valuable player on a team in the NBA Finals shooting 25% from the floor. You can say the entire team performed below their individual and generally collective standards, but those other teammates aren't considered a Top 10 player of All Time.

Kobe shot poorly. Part of that was the Celtics stellar defense, and part of that was that his shot was just off. HOWEVER, the myth that Kobe got carried to that ring is laughable. Doc Rivers has been on record saying, and anyone that watched that game with half a brain knows, that the game came down to the Lakers ability to crash the boards, particularly in the second half, limiting the Celtics to one possession, while on the other side giving themselves multiple possessions after offensive rebounds.

Kobe with 15 rebounds signifies how he impacted the game, as it came down to rebounds and defense (probably his last great defensive effort). Couple with Pau dominating the boards as well, and hitting some clutch shots and free throws in the fourth, and you have a 2010 champion.

That's what happened. Nothing less, nothing more.

I think Kobe's rebounding that game is overstated. Both teams miss that many shots, there's going to be alot of rebounds to go around. What I will say is that there were some timely one's as the game went along....the number 15 is something that doesn't give emphasis to the right point.

Pau limiting KG to 3 rebounds is something far more important, that often goes unnoticed. His defense was great the entire series.

He heated up at the end somewhat as well...got to the line and hit a couple shots blow the game open.

BlackVVaves
We all know if it was LeBron he would've been stat-padding. Lebron in his finals had 8 assists or 7 rebounds almost every game, yet he gets ridiculed.
But Kobe gets 15 rebounds he's the best.
Basically his teammates hit big shots for him to win this game and he got 15 rebounds, that's how you summarize this game.

Dont pay him any mind, he's a stan. Stanhood logic, whether Kobe, Lebron, ect, always revolves around dysfuntional premises.

Kobe was far from "the best" in that game. But, he was a major contributor to their win. Not in the way he typically is called upon to be, but in a game that came down to rebounds, defense, and possessions, he did a great job of crashing the boards, playing exceptional defense, and thus helping limit the possessions that Celtics had in that fourth quarter.

Artest hit the biggest shot of the night, and was the emotional savior of that game for LA. Pau and Kobe were the pillars that the win was rooted in. Both hurt their team with their shooting .... especially Kobe, who again, can't be the best player on his team shooting 25% .... but they impacted the game in different ways that helped secure the win.

Rubio2Gasol
05-16-2013, 08:03 PM
In the world I live in, 37.5% (Pau), 38.9% (MWP), and 37.5% (Odom) is a LOT more than 25% (Kobe).

What does that add up to?130 %? :lol

Cleverness
05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
He didn't shoot that poorly from the FT line (11/15 73.3%)

As a team the Lakers shot 25/37 (67.6%).

theBIGjabroni
05-16-2013, 08:11 PM
clutch sasha free throws

we should all thank the sex machine

Guy Ledouche
05-16-2013, 08:12 PM
There isn't any "myth" here at all. 6-24 from the floor is terrible no matter which way you try to spin it.

BlackVVaves
05-16-2013, 08:13 PM
I think Kobe's rebounding that game is overstated. Both teams miss that many shots, there's going to be alot of rebounds to go around. What I will say is that there were some timely one's as the game went along....the number 15 is something that doesn't give emphasis to the right point.

Pau limiting KG to 3 rebounds is something far more important, that often goes unnoticed. His defense was great the entire series.

He heated up at the end somewhat as well...got to the line and hit a couple shots blow the game open.

I agree to an extent, but if Kobe finished with 5 rebounds, and those other 10 rebounds result in extra possessions by the Celtics or only one possession by the Lakers because Paul Pierce or Rondo got the rebound, then in all likelihood the Lakers, and not the Celtics, lose that game.

The same can be said about Pau's rebounds.

And you're right, that was an amazing feat by Pau. He was aggressive in that fourth quarter, even if it doesn't all show in the box scores.

TheBigVeto
05-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Kobe got carried by David Stern and Pau Gasol in that game.

Pau = true Lakers MVP.

Mr. Jabbar
05-16-2013, 08:31 PM
There isn't any "myth" here at all. 6-24 from the floor is terrible no matter which way you try to spin it.

15 rebounds for a sg is epic, no matter which way you try to spin it

rmt
What does that add up to?130 %? :lol

I hate to be a grammar police (considering there might be non-English speakers posting) but it means that 37.5% is a lot more than 25%, 38.9% is a lot more than 25% and 37.5% is a lot more than 25%. The key word in my post is IS.

tazb
they won, and thats it

but 6-24 is pretty ****ing horrible. I cant even imagine the kobe stans if Lebron did that in game 7

he should have gotten pretty much all the blame if they had lost that game. and he can consider himself lucky they didnt

If LeBron had a 6-24 game his team would've got blown out by 20+, let's be real here. Kobe got bailed out by Artest/Gasol to save his legacy.

MetsPackers
05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
So because the team shot poorly, that means Kobe shooting 6/24 is a "myth". Goddamn the stupidity around here is at an alltime high. Kobe is barely top 10 and tried his hardest to choke away that game, gtf over it and get some friends

You know you gota be a true fvcking loser to have like 10000 troll posts in like 2 years. If you told people in your high school about this, you'd probably move up another spot on the f@ggot rankings

SamuraiSWISH
05-16-2013, 08:37 PM
clutch sasha free throws

we should all thank the sex machine
He was so annoying, kind of like a short / white / euro trash version of Joakim Noah ...

But I kind of miss Sasha VujaCHICK

LongLiveTheKing
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
15 rebounds for a sg is epic, no matter which way you try to spin it
Not really?

Nash
05-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Miami - Memphis game 7 finals.. Lebron goes for 6-24, Miami wins with huge help from Wade/Bosh. ISH would go:

Rubio2Gasol
05-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Miami - Memphis game 7 finals.. Lebron goes for 6-24, Miami wins with huge help from Wade/Bosh. ISH would go:

Game 7? that would be a joke within itself.

Magic 32
05-16-2013, 09:29 PM
If LeBron had a 6-24 game his team would've got blown out by 20+, let's be real here. Kobe got bailed out by Artest/Gasol to save his legacy.

It's funny, go watch Game 5 in Boston. Kobe had the best game of his final career and Artest and Gasol killed it with a putrid defensive/offensive performance.

If the Lakers win game 5, there would be no need for a game 7 and the performance would go down as Kobe's greatest achievement.

Pau and Metta nearly destroyed Kobe's legacy.

LongLiveTheKing
05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
It's funny, go watch Game 5 in Boston. Kobe had the best game of his final career and Artest and Gasol killed it with a putrid defensive/offensive performance.

If the Lakers win game 5, there would be no need for a game 7 and the performance would go down as Kobe's greatest achievement.

Metta saved Kobe's legacy with that 3 in game 7.

Mr. Incredible
05-16-2013, 09:36 PM
LEBRON>>>>>>kobe

/Thread

Deal. With. It.

Magic 32
05-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Metta saved Kobe's legacy with that 3 in game 7.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/b6u1jb.jpg

The Real JW
05-16-2013, 09:52 PM
What's worse?

Kobe's 6-24
LeBron's game 1 & 2 vs Boston 08 (6-24 on 7 turnovers, 2-18 on 10 turnovers)

LongLiveTheKing
05-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Metta's 3 saved Kobe.

Magic 32
05-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Metta's 3 saved Kobe.

After nearly ruining it.

The-Legend-24
05-16-2013, 09:58 PM
And dumbass haters actually try to make a case for Pau being MVP, the dude was dreadful everytime we played in Boston.

STATUTORY
05-16-2013, 10:02 PM
What's worse?

Kobe's 6-24

Lebron's game 1, 2, 3, 4 against Spurs in 2007

Raymone
05-16-2013, 10:19 PM
What's worse?

Kobe's 6-24

LeBron has never shot 2-18 in a playoff game. Nice try.

Heavincent
05-16-2013, 10:22 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805060BOS.html

The-Legend-24
05-16-2013, 10:24 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805060BOS.html
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Doctor Rivers
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM

lol dumbass

Johnny Jones
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM
:coleman:

Magic 32
05-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Other classics ...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201005110CLE.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200706070SAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805080BOS.html

Deuce Bigalow
05-16-2013, 11:01 PM

:applause:

Odinn
05-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Even himself and his coach admitted that. Kobe wasn't the best Laker on the court in game 7 of 2010 NBA Finals. And there is no point of trying to praise Kobe for shooting 6-24 from the field in probably the most important game of his entire career.
He did deserve his FMVP tho. That's not even up to debate.

Magic 32
05-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Even himself and his coach admitted that. Kobe wasn't the best Laker on the court in game 7 of 2010 NBA Finals. And there is no point of trying to praise Kobe for shooting 6-24 from the field in probably the most important game of his entire career.
He did deserve his FMVP tho. That's not even up to debate.

and Jordan shot 5-19. Big deal.

Ne 1
05-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Kobe got 15 rebounds, scored 10 points in the 4th quarter and a huge shot that put the Lakers up by 6 late in the game..

Nobody seems to remember in the deciding game of the '96 Finals that Jordan shot 5-19, shot 15-35 in '97 and '98 (and in '98 vs Jazz accumulated ONE rebound and assist despite playing 45 minutes not to mention Game 7 Eastern Conference Finals vs the Pacers that same year he shot 9-25) Dirk went 9-27 in 11, Duncan went 10-27 in '05, Hakeem shot 10-25 vs the Knicks in game 7 of the '94 Finals... but nobody cares though, they all won a ring and Finals MVP and that's all that matters. Just like nobody will care about Kobe shooting 6-24 in '10 besides detractors with an agenda.

Mr. Jabbar
05-17-2013, 12:06 AM
And there is no point of trying to praise Kobe for shooting 6-24 from the field

here's what most people fail to see (on porpouse perhaps).... we're praising his 15 rebounds, not a bad shooting night (which everyone had)

what do you think about grabbing 15 boards as a shooting guard? honest question

Odinn
05-17-2013, 12:15 AM
And did you see me givin credit to MJ due to this? Sensitivity at its highest. Chill out. There was no agenda or claim. I stated the fact. No-one gives credit TD due to game 7 of 2005 NBA Finals or Hakeem due to game 7 of 1994 NBA Finals. And Kobe does not get a credit for game 7 of 2010 Finals.

It is just that simple.

Ne 1
05-17-2013, 12:19 AM

Exactly. Also let's not forget that the 2010 Celtics were one of the best defensive team in the league. (Although not ranked #1, they probably were the best overall defensive team) How did Jordan do in deciding playoff games vs #1 ranked defenses?

1993 vs Knicks Game 6: 8-24 (33%) Also shot 0/7 in the fourth quarter when his team was trying to eliminate Knicks in game 6.

1996 vs Sonics Game 6: 5-19 (26%)

1997 vs Heat Game 5: 11-31 (35%)

Could you imagine what his Finals statistics would be if he went up against the #1 defense each time? The Sonics series, the only #1 team he'd ever face in the Finals, turned into a statistical disaster for him.

This isn't meant to belittle Jordan. It's just to remind people that Jordan, who many consider to be the greatest player ever was human, just like Kobe. Also keep these in mind when someone tries to tell you Jordan would have destroyed the '04 Pistons and '08/'10 Celtics.

NBASTATMAN
05-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Exactly. Also let's not forget that the 2010 Celtics were one of the best defensive team in the league. How did Jordan do in deciding playoff games vs #1 ranked defenses?

1993 vs Knicks Game 6: 8-24 (33%) Also shot 0/7 in the fourth quarter when his team was trying to eliminate Knicks in game 6.

1996 vs Sonics Game 6: 5-19 (26%)

1997 vs Heat Game 5: 11-31 (35%)

Could you imagine what his Finals statistics would be if he went up against the #1 defense each time? The Sonics series, the only #1 team he'd ever face in the Finals, turned into a statistical disaster for him.

This isn't meant to belittle Jordan. It's just to remind people that Jordan, who many consider to be the greatest player ever was human, just like Kobe. Also keep these in mind when someone tries to tell you Jordan would have destroyed the '04 Pistons and '08/'10 Celtics.

Wade destroyed that defense and Lebron played decent as well.. I recall all the Kobe stans calling that Defense bad and old... I could look up all the comments but I am sure you recall that team being called old all playoffs..

Kiddlovesnets
05-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Whats the point? Other than Bynum everyone else shot at higher percentage.
:rolleyes:

Ne 1
05-17-2013, 12:53 AM
That Lakers/Celtics series was a defensive battle. Nobody from the Lakers or Celtics had a particularly good shooing night and Game 7 was brutally defensive:
Lakers shot 33% FG
Celts shot 40% FG
NO LAKER shot 50% other than Fisher
Entire Laker bench was 3 for 14

That game came down to rebounding and FTs. Kobe grabed what, 15 board as a guard? That is unheard of. He also shot 14 FTs (missed 3). He also played great D. It was a brutal game and Kobe did what was needed to win. he hit 7/8 free throws in the 4th quarter, grabbed 15 boards, and hit a huge jumper with like 2 minutes left to put the Lakers up 6 and the Celtics couldn't get back in the game after he hit that shot. Haters just point out he he had a mediocre shooting night but nobody really had a good shooting game. I mostly credit good defense on both sides.

VIntageNOvel
05-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Quality thread:applause:
should be stickied instead of pacers knick slumpfest:facepalm