PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant: I'm not Kobe Bryant

STATUTORY
05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
By Melissa Rohlin

When the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs in 2011, Kobe Bryant said any season that didn't end in an NBA title was "a wasted year of my life."

A day after the Oklahoma City Thunder were knocked out of the second round by the Memphis Grizzlies, Kevin Durant was asked if he feels the same way.

"Nothing's ever a wasted year for me. It's basketball. I've grown so much as a man since the beginning of the season. I've grown so much as a leader. Nothing is ever wasted," Durant said Thursday, according to ESPN.

"Of course, the ultimate goal in this league is to win a championship. But I'm never going to say I wasted a year. I'm blessed to even wake up and do something I love every day. So it's never wasted."

Durant is 24 years old and has never won an NBA championship. Bryant was 32 years old when he made that comment in 2011, and had already won five NBA championships.

When Durant was further prodded by the media about his relatively relaxed attitude in comparison with Bryant's, the Thunder star snapped back.

"I don't give a damn," Durant said firmly, according to the website. "I'm going to be who I'm going to be. I'm not Kobe Bryant. I'm not Michael Jordan. I'm not LeBron James. I'm not Magic Johnson. I'm me. I'm not going to ever compromise myself, my integrity and what I believe in for winning some basketball games and winning a championship. That's just not how I was brought up.

"I'm always going to fight for this game I love. I'm going to claw until the last buzzer sounds. And if that's after a championship then, of course, I'll be happy. I'm not satisfied just being in this league and losing. I'm going to work as hard as I can to try to get to that mountaintop. I enjoy playing the game. I enjoy being here. But I'm never going to come out to the media and say we wasted a year because we lost a championship. Like I said, I don't have to be Kobe Bryant."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-kevin-durant-kobe-bryant-20130517,0,7604500.story
defensive response from durant

but what is the most interesting is when bringing up guys to refute comparison to. Kobe Bryant is the first name out of his mouth. The impact of Kobe on the psyche of current generation of players is unparalleled. :applause:

chosen_wun
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-kevin-durant-kobe-bryant-20130517,0,7604500.story

but what is the most interesting is when bringing up guys to refute comparison to. Kobe Bryant is the first name out of his mouth. The impact of Kobe on the psyche of current generation of players is unparalleled. :applause:
:facepalm

When Durant was further prodded by the media about his relatively relaxed attitude in comparison with Bryant's, the Thunder star snapped back.

TylerOO
05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Damn right hes not. Hes not a winner

CanYouDigIt
05-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Why are people comparing Kobe's 5 rings to Durchoke's ringless fingures

IncarceratedBob
05-17-2013, 05:17 PM
He's not a winner.

Wasnt at Texas and sure as hell ain't now

MVBallin2K
05-17-2013, 05:20 PM
I opened this topic expecting some article about him talking about not being able to make himself chuck up a ton of shots like Kobe or something.

I was pleasantly surprised to see this article, which made me gain some respect for Durant. He doesn't want to copy the formula of anyone else. He wants to pave his own way and he his own person. I like that line about not compromising his integrity and who he is either. All while not truly insulting Kobe like the title might suggest. Loss or not, I can respect KD for those comments and how he feels.

Rake2204
05-17-2013, 05:22 PM
I like Kevin's response. Good stuff.

OldSkoolball#52
05-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Good for Durant not being the corny and contrived drama queen that kobe is

Heavincent
05-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I think people are going a little overboard with the sudden Durant hate.

STATUTORY
05-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Good for Durant not being the corny and contrived drama queen that kobe is
this guy?
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vPIgTuQM2gk/0.jpg

jlip

Ummm... The fact that he was responding to a question about a statement made by Kobe wouldn't have anything to do with him mentioning Kobe, would it?:confusedshrug:

tikay0
Good response by Kevin.

jlip
05-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Honestly I have seen very little "hate" for Durant in comparison to what we've seen against the Kobe's, Lebron's, and Melo's of the league. I have actually heard a lot of excuses from the media and many fans regarding Durant's last playoff showing.

Heavincent
05-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Honestly I have seen very little "hate" for Durant in comparison to what we've seen against the Kobe's, Lebron's, and Melo's of the league. I have actually heard a lot of excuses from the media and many fans regarding Durant's last playoff showing.

I can see people are starting to turn on him. Everyone was in love with this dude at this time last year.

tikay0
05-17-2013, 05:32 PM
I can see people are starting to turn on him. Everyone was in love with this dude at this time last year.

I'm the exact opposite. I hated him and Westbrook before, but now I really like the both of them.

TylerOO
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Yea because he was supposed to take LeBron down. If LeBron pulled what Durant did, he would be getting demolished. Durants got it easy.

OldSkoolball#52
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM

It's almost entirely from Kobe stans who are insecure that yet another player has already zoomed past what Kobe ever was, at only 24 yrs old.

Doranku
05-17-2013, 05:39 PM
In a way, he's like Kobe. Just like Kobe tried to be like Michael, he tries to be like LeBron James.

The difference is that Kobe tried to embody the greatest player to ever play the game. Durant? He tried to embody a choke artist who couldn't win a ring until he joined two of the other top 10 players in the NBA (yes, when Bosh joined the Heat, he was a top 10 player).

IGOTGAME
05-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Not me. Havent liked him since he has been in the league.

Doranku
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
It's almost entirely from Kobe stans who are insecure that yet another player has already zoomed past what Kobe ever was, at only 24 yrs old.
:roll: Ringless wannabe LeBron James whose game is 150% based on getting BS free throws is far below prime Kobe. Even past prime Kobe in 2010, getting his knee drained after every series, was better than Durant has ever been.

But you're a troll, so congratulations on being acknowledged you lonely virgin. :roll:

STATUTORY
05-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Not me. Havent liked him since he has been in the league.

hard to like someone so contrived that they select their shots based on cosmetic things like fg%

KD is the post modern NBA player. So lost in the meta-game that he's forgotten what really matters on the hardwood courts

Goldrush25
05-17-2013, 05:46 PM

I think he means that because basketball is Kobe Bryant's entire life and identity doesn't mean that it's his. I think he mentioned Kobe Bryant first because Kobe is identified as someone who eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. Doesn't mean it's the only way to do things. Everyone approaches the game differently.

OldSkoolball#52
05-17-2013, 05:50 PM
hard to like someone so contrived that they select their shots based on cosmetic things like fg%

KD is the post modern NBA player. So lost in the meta-game that he's forgotten what really matters on the hardwood courts

Those are the things that actually win. Offensive efficiency, defense, loose balls, turnovers.

Kobe:
- is selfish and willing to shoot his team out of games rather than pass.
-never takes on tough defensive assignments. doesnt even take on easy ones with any effort.
-refuses to take charges
-kills team morale, is a cancer. made phil quit, got shaq booted, killed the drive of bynum, pau, howard.

Dude was carried by dominant bigs and deep, complete teams to titles he didnt earn with his low IQ chucking, selfish me-me-me attitude, and lack of defense or any sort of hustle outside shooting the ball. Never got a team out of the first round as the best player.

:confusedshrug:

Doranku
05-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Those are the things that actually win. Offensive efficiency, defense, loose balls, turnovers.

Kobe:
-never takes on tough defensive assignments. doesnt even take on easy ones with any effort.
-refuses to take charges
-kills team morale, is a cancer. made phil quit, got shaq booted, killed the drive of bynum, pau, howard.

Dude was carried by dominant bigs and deep, complete teams to titles he didnt earn with his low IQ chucking, selfish me-me-me attitude, and lack of defense or any sort of hustle outside shooting the ball. Never got a team out of the first round as the best player.

Selfish "me-me-me attitude" = 5 rings. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

How mad are you nerd?

rmt
05-17-2013, 05:54 PM
I think he means that because basketball is Kobe Bryant's entire life and identity doesn't mean that it's his. I think he mentioned Kobe Bryant first because Kobe is identified as someone who eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. Doesn't mean it's the only way to do things. Everyone approaches the game differently.

I like KD's response. He's got his head screwed on right. Yes, he does basketball as a living, he strives for the championship and to improve with each year but at the end of the day, it's just a game. And yes, integrity and doing things the right way are more important. Besides, life is not just about the destination, it's about the journey. And I think he knows that he's got a lot to learn about being a man and a leader. Give the guy a break - he's only 24.

STATUTORY
05-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Kobe:
-refuses to take charges

efficiency does matter but only if it's genuine and not contrived.

KD has openly admitted that his shot selection decision is based on what his fg% currently is during the game.

But in actuality, to maximize team's chance of scoring on any position, the decision process should be entirely forward looking. The person with the best available shot at any given possession should take it. But Durant would willingly give those shots up because they are still risky shots if his fg% earlier in the game is bad. So he becomes overly risk averse and actively hurts his team by giving up makeable shots for his teammates to take less efficient shots. And he will only take shots that are certain makes but in possessions where those aren't available yet his shot is the best, he will defer. Hurting his team.

chazzy
05-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Nonstory

Legends66NBA7
05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey OP, next time put all those other all-time greats in the thread title. Thanks.

Nero Tulip
05-17-2013, 06:20 PM
That's all mediatic crap, I don't know how people can even fall for this stuff. Bottom line is, Kobe can only dream of reaching half the level Durant already has. All this crap about "being a winner" if for american morons.

WWRWestbrookDo?
05-17-2013, 06:21 PM

swinging on dem kobe nutz are ya

Human Error
05-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Shaq + Durant: 6 championships
Shaq + Kobe: 3 championships

OldSkoolball#52
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Shaq + Lebron: Not 5, not 6, not 7...

AlphaWolf24
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKXEFdKCEAAHLK2.jpg

why OKC...why?

CasterL
05-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Massively respect Durant for these comments. Unaffected by boring media cliches. He's his own man. Really respect the humility. Takes alot to stay grounded in his position.

Deuce Bigalow
05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Lol at Durant in the hand checking era.

Deuce Bigalow
05-17-2013, 06:41 PM

why OKC...why?
Wait..Is this real? After the loss to Memphis? :roll:

Mr. I'm So Rad
05-17-2013, 06:42 PM

People always throw out these hypothetical statements as if they're merited by anything and as if Kobe somehow underachieved by winning "only" 3 titles with Shaq.

Crafty
05-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Everyone was in love with him because he was an "anti-Lebron". Lebron failing meant Durant succeeding, and that's why most people root for him

NumberSix
05-17-2013, 07:05 PM

why OKC...why?
That's not OKC. You can see traffic lights in the background.

Fudge
05-17-2013, 07:48 PM
He aint none of those goofs doe. He's the almighty GAWDrant. :bowdown:

dannywpt
05-17-2013, 07:52 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Do you have a source for this?

AlphaWolf24
05-17-2013, 07:56 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Do you have a source for this?

the interwebz:confusedshrug:

tazb
05-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Obviously, Durant is way more efficient than that chucker.

AlphaWolf24
05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Obviously, Durant is way more efficient than that chucker.

so is Tyson chandler and kevin Love:confusedshrug:

RRR3
05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Durant is definitely a winner. How the hell is he not?

Brokenbeat
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Ouch. :roll:

Fudge
05-17-2013, 08:10 PM
And both are better. What's the prob?

305Baller
05-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Ask him again in 5 years.

:pimp:

Scholar
05-17-2013, 09:01 PM

why OKC...why?

This year with OKC not making the Finals:
"Aye, my *****. I done spent my baby diaper money on dis jersey, but Durant ain't finna be in da NBA Finals, so I'mma go 'head and burn dis shit cuz I ain't finna support no bitch made *****. Ya dig?"

In the future when OKC does make the Finals:
"Aye, my *****! Dat boy Durant is da troof! I suppo-ted dat ***** since day 1, yo. I'm finna look into gettin' myself a Durant jersey once I get my food stamps."

/No Racist

AlphaWolf24
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/1/5/15fc7_ORIG-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

tazb
05-17-2013, 09:38 PM

And both are better. What's the prob?

this.

Doctor Rivers
05-17-2013, 09:47 PM
this.

not this.

Smoke117
05-17-2013, 09:56 PM
So you basically made a thread to prop of Kobe. Good job :applause: :rolleyes:

Lebron23
04-30-2014, 01:04 AM
Yeah Cause Prime Kobe is better than you.