PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Charlotte starting process to become the Hornets!

bagelred
05-17-2013, 11:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22260671/charlotte-bobcats-in-process-of-changing-name-back-to-hornets

The Charlotte Bobcats are in the process of changing their name back to "Hornets," a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com's Will Brinson, including arranging digital assets that would allow a return to their original nickname.

There is no timetable for the switch though NBA commissioner to be Adam Silver told Bobcats season ticket holders in April that such a change would take at least 18 months to implement. Moreover, the change is not unexpected and would likely be popular with the North Carolina fan base.

Once that happens, I expect another team to take the Bobcats name, and so on, and so on.....until every team has a new nickname.

Rake2204
05-17-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.cloudfantasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2012-NBA-Draft-Predictions-Part-4-%E2%80%93-Charlotte-Hornets-2.0-Inside-Pic1.png

Boomshakalaka!

maybeshewill13
05-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Who the **** would want the Bobcats?

Breezy
05-17-2013, 11:46 PM
this is going to be a confusing yet interesting trivia question in 30 years.

BasedTom
05-17-2013, 11:50 PM
The Bobcats have been associated with nothing but failure. This move is a good one in my opinion, but it doesn't change the state of their franchise in anyway.

Who knows? Maybe this marks a big change in the franchise's direction. But as a Miami sports fan I've recently become a skeptic when it comes to name/logo changes from struggling teams.

D-Rose
05-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Ah, back where it belongs. I like it. Poor casual fans going to be so confused though :oldlol:

Perhaps this will be a fresh start and new beginning for this franchise...will probably have this year's lottery pick and one from next year to add to the mix before becoming the Hornets :confusedshrug:

AngelEyes
05-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Cool, now start the process of contraction.

BasedTom
05-17-2013, 11:58 PM
It's also interesting how we could have had the Seattle Supersonics and Charlotte Hornets coming back in the same year.

dat blue and purple is a nice and unique color scheme. It really will be great to see it back if this does in fact goes through

9erempiree
05-17-2013, 11:58 PM
So are you telling me that the Charlotte Hornets became the New Orleans Hornets. The Hornets became the Pelican while Charlotte is the Bobcats and now it's the Charlotte Hornets?

:D

OldSkoolball#52
05-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Cool, now start the process of contraction.

:oldlol:

This.

9erempiree
05-18-2013, 12:02 AM
To be honest the Bobcats are like an expansion team and it doesn't help that they suck too.

This is a wise move because the Charlotte Hornets do have a history and they do have a fanbase.

SnakePlissken
05-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Hell yeah! Can't wait to see the jerseys and retro shirts make a comeback. What they should have done with the New Orleans Hornets is move to Seattle. The NBA would be back on track with the Charlotte Hornets, the Seattle SuperSonics and get back on NBC so they can use the Roundball Rock theme.

treadster
05-18-2013, 12:24 AM
yeah, finally we can bring the buzz back to Charlotte

Patrick Chewing
05-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Gonna stock up on clearance Bobcats stuff at Marshall's now

D-Rose
05-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Hell yeah! Can't wait to see the jerseys and retro shirts make a comeback. What they should have done with the New Orleans Hornets is move to Seattle. The NBA would be back on track with the Charlotte Hornets, the Seattle SuperSonics and get back on NBC so they can use the Roundball Rock theme.
Not having a team in New Orleans would be stupid.

Johnny Jones
05-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Not having a team in New Orleans would be stupid.
Agreed. Even the Dalai Lama loves the pelicans!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKfO2daCEAAyjxn.jpg:large

KembaWalker
05-18-2013, 01:10 AM
:applause: :applause: :coleman:

Lakers Legend#32
05-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Nobody in Charlotte gives a damn about the Bobcats/Hornets. This is the franchise that belongs in Seattle.

ukballer
05-18-2013, 03:36 AM
:hammertime:

FiveRings
05-18-2013, 03:41 AM
Once that happens, I expect another team to take the Bobcats name, and so on, and so on.....until every team has a new nickname.
Cleveland will take the Bobcats name. Then Lebron will demand Pat Riley change the name of the Heat to the Cavaliers so he can fulfill his promise of winning a championship for the Cavs :lol

bdreason
05-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Nobody in Charlotte gives a damn about the Bobcats/Hornets. This is the franchise that belongs in Seattle.

I think basketball is actually really popular in North Carolina. Give them a decent team, and fans will show up.

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 03:48 AM
Nah give us the Grizzlies. Memphis has no business having a basketball team.. yet alone one called the Grizzlies.. and they have no history. That or Orlando. No one cares about Orlando.

gasolina
05-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Nah give us the Grizzlies. Memphis has no business having a basketball team.. yet alone one called the Grizzlies.. and they have no history. That or Orlando. No one cares about Orlando.
Orlando's teams habe been to the finals twice.

As for memphis, how many times have charlotte/new orleans been to the wcf/ecf?

This season :rockon:

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Orlando's teams habe been to the finals twice.

As for memphis, how many times have charlotte/new orleans been to the wcf/ecf?

This season :rockon:

Yeah actually replace Orlando with New Orleans.. why the **** do NO have a team anyway? NO to Vancouver, Memphis to Seattle. Orlando still suck though. Move them to Kansas or Vegas soon.

D-Rose
05-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Yeah actually replace Orlando with New Orleans.. why the **** do NO have a team anyway? NO to Vancouver, Memphis to Seattle. Orlando still suck though. Move them to Kansas or Vegas soon.
I really hope you're just kidding...or this is one of the stupidest posts I have ever read on ISH. :facepalm

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I really hope you're just kidding...or this is one of the stupidest posts I have ever read on ISH. :facepalm
No I'm not kidding and yes you are stupid :hammertime:

CelticBaller
05-18-2013, 09:14 AM
You guys bitch about your franchise being taken from you, and yet you want to take another fanbase's team. Fvck you hypocrites. Fvcking Hornets are back :banana:

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 09:18 AM
You guys bitch about your franchise being taken from you, and yet you want to take another fanbase's team. Fvck you hypocrites. Fvcking Hornets are back :banana:
I don't want the Hornets. I used to love the Charlotte Hornets as a kid. I want one of these shitty teams with no real history/rings. IE Memphis/New Orleans.

Burgz V2
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM

this doesn't make any sense. if it's a joke its not funny either.

Burgz V2
05-18-2013, 10:34 AM

do you know what a map is? look at one, and then you'll find out how stupid this idea is.

bagelred
05-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Cleveland will take the Bobcats name. Then Lebron will demand Pat Riley change the name of the Heat to the Cavaliers so he can fulfill his promise of winning a championship for the Cavs :lol

well done, grasshopper.....:cheers:

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 10:46 AM
do you know what a map is? look at one, and then you'll find out how stupid this idea is.
I'll look at a map and find out why NO should have a team? :biggums:

thefatmiral
05-18-2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.cloudfantasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2012-NBA-Draft-Predictions-Part-4-%E2%80%93-Charlotte-Hornets-2.0-Inside-Pic1.png

Boomshakalaka!
YES!best balling game ever, funny to me is.jason kidd and grant hill are in this game

D-Rose
05-18-2013, 12:15 PM
No I'm not kidding and yes you are stupid :hammertime:
Wow, you're brainless. Apologies in advance if you have some sort of mental disorder.

Why in the **** would the NBA relocate those franchises? You're a damn idiot. New Orleans is a much bigger market than Vancouver, and makes a lot more money. The NBA hosts ASG and such there quite often. Orlando is a freakin' hot spot in Florida and I know people who love going to those games. They've had decent success. Memphis is a legit title contender and you want to move them now? Memphis has their arena contract run another 10 years or so as well.

If you're going to propose relocation, at least give useful reasons such as a failing franchise, not just that your dumb ass would like it.

rufuspaul
05-18-2013, 12:20 PM
:cheers: :banana: :party: :hammertime: :djparty :dancin :basketball

Quizno
05-18-2013, 12:35 PM
i am so happy :)

Bobcat4Ever
05-18-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm going to need a name change

NBA2k-Monster23
05-18-2013, 01:56 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :rockon: :D

I am a advocate for this move and it's the best thing Jordan has done since he became owner of the Bobcats. Bring back the buzz!!!!!!

Kiddlovesnets
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM
This is stupid, this team should be bobcats forever.
:facepalm

05-18-2013, 02:25 PM
This is stupid, this team should be bobcats forever.

Remember during the early 90s when the Hornets had LJ, Zo, Muggsy, Gill, etc...?

The teal and purple color schemes made its sports wear popular especiall with Starter winter coats and baseball snap back caps.

goldenryan
05-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Fcuk Utah
This. I'm pretty sure Jazz is banned in Mormon country. Rename the Lakers, there are no Lakes in LA. Tell the Pacers to change their logo to a pace car and not the generic but cool hand griping a basketball http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3gsjleM7q1qe1x8qo1_1280.jpg

Kiddlovesnets
05-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Remember during the early 90s when the Hornets had LJ, Zo, Muggsy, Gill, etc...?

The teal and purple color schemes made its sports wear popular especiall with Starter winter coats and baseball snap back caps.

Yeah, but thats in the past already, the current team has been known as the Bobcats since it was formed and it had little connection to the old Hornets.

Scholar
05-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Good for Charlotte. They should just change their names to the Charlotte Jordans. It'd probably boost ticket sales.

FiveRings
05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Good for Charlotte. They should just change their names to the Charlotte Jordans. It'd probably boost ticket sales.
Naw. Charlotte Goats would be better. A team symbol like this would be cool, because it would look a bit like the Bulls

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8be5iBWKi1qlw620o1_500.jpg

kentatm
05-18-2013, 05:23 PM
this is going to be a confusing yet interesting trivia question in 30 years.

future rep :lol

kentatm
05-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow, you're brainless. Apologies in advance if you have some sort of mental disorder.

Why in the **** would the NBA relocate those franchises? You're a damn idiot. New Orleans is a much bigger market than Vancouver, and makes a lot more money. .

that is flat out false my man.

D-Rose
05-18-2013, 05:41 PM
that is flat out false my man.
I hesitated before I wrote that, and looking at population of the two...wow was I way off! Still think a team in New Orleans is good for the league. Would love one in Vancouver too.

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 06:22 PM
I hesitated before I wrote that, and looking at population of the two...wow was I way off! Still think a team in New Orleans is good for the league. Would love one in Vancouver too.
Translation: I'm a ****** :sleeping

D-Rose
05-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Translation: I'm a ****** :sleeping
You still haven't provided any valid reasons for moving any of the franchis that you'd suggested...I'm waiting..

maybeshewill13
05-18-2013, 06:28 PM
You still haven't provided any valid reasons for moving any of the franchis that you'd suggested...I'm waiting..
Because I said so and me > you. Quite simple really :sleeping

Kiddlovesnets
05-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Damn why are the Bobcats doing this? They are the bobcats, always were and always will be. This is not the Hornets, and they are better off as the Bobcats anyway.

secund2nun
05-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Finally. The bobcats is a stupid name that belongs in the WNBA. It is even worse than the Thunder, which also belongs in the WNBA but has at least become tolerable.

bagelred
05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gif

CLTHornets4eva
05-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Damn why are the Bobcats doing this? They are the bobcats, always were and always will be. This is not the Hornets, and they are better off as the Bobcats anyway.

Your a damn fool.
:kobe: -Charlotte Hornets Draft Pick

:cheers: :party:

Can't wait for the city to finally get behind this team. Countless STH's who protested the NBA can come back. Great for the city, the league and the top basketball state in the country.

05-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Why did the original team move to NO? (I wasn't keeping up with the NBA then)

I keep looking for info but read the Hornets were boycotted by the local fans and city because the owner was accused of sexual misconduct and had to move. Is there any weight to this?

Droid101
05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Why did the original team move to NO? (I wasn't keeping up with the NBA then)

I keep looking for info but read the Hornets were boycotted by the local fans and city because the owner was accused of sexual misconduct and had to move. Is there any weight to this?
Asshole owner.

05-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Asshole owner.

More details?

A hole like the Maloofs, OKC, and Howard Shultz?

CLTHornets4eva
05-21-2013, 12:07 AM
More details?

A hole like the Maloofs, OKC, and Howard Shultz?

I think he could be up there higher than each of these. He sexually assualted a cheerleader, then refused to sell to a local ownership group. This situation helped KEEP the Kings in Sactown, because it began to show NBA owners how damaging moving a team could be to the leagues credibility after a move both regionally and nationally in terms of lack of stability with franchises and the local community.

One the city refused a stadium (after only a year of trying) the team moved. Obviously a stadium was built shortly afterwards and a new team was placed in Charlotte (the B*bcats), but the city was top three in apparel sales for the decade and the top attendance in the league for 7 straight years and top two (with the Bulls) for 10 years.

As a top BBall state (nearly double the population of Kentucky and Indiana) NC was a true NBA mecca, think OKC but with less on court success. Tomorrow will truely be rectification for Charlotte making up for a mistake in 2001.

Granted the Seattle issue still isn't resolved - and I hope and think it will- the NBA and specifically Stern is fixing something that I think he felt tarnished his time as commish - unnecissary team moves.

:rockon:

hawkfan
05-21-2013, 01:17 AM
hawkan Trade Scenario:

Utah gets

The name Bobcats

New Orleans gets

The name Jazz

Charlotte gets

The name Hornets

New Orleans Jazz was the team's original name and makes sense, since New Orleans is the birthplace and capital of jazz music. What's so jazzy about Utah?

Charlotte gets back the Hornets.
Bobcats makes sense for Utah since they have mountains and have wild animals.

Pelicans needs to go into the garbage can.

Take Your Lumps
05-23-2013, 12:05 PM
They Dem Hornets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw895TeobFE

TexasBloodMoney
05-23-2013, 12:13 PM
hawkan Trade Scenario:

Utah gets

The name Bobcats

New Orleans gets

The name Jazz

Charlotte gets

The name Hornets

New Orleans Jazz was the team's original name and makes sense, since New Orleans is the birthplace and capital of jazz music. What's so jazzy about Utah?

Charlotte gets back the Hornets.
Bobcats makes sense for Utah since they have mountains and have wild animals.

Pelicans needs to go into the garbage can.

I bet this guy doesn't want a name change.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCuUnLwCcAIdUeF.jpg

tmacattack33
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
That's pretty stupid.

It's not the same team.

They should just suck it up and try to change the terribleness that is associated with the Bobcats.

Ne 1
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Aside from the '90s nostalgic "feel good" of having the team name/logo/uniforms back, I don't see this as anything to be excited about. The team still sucks.

It's not like changing the name is going to magically bring back 'Zo, Grandmama and Muggsy, or Glen Rice and Vlade Divac and magically resurrect the Charlotte Coliseum with 985,722 screaming fans. It's a nice symbolic gesture, and it's not like the Bobcats gear is flying off the shelves. The Bobcats brand is dead as hell, and if there's any chance at salvaging the NBA there, they have to make a clean break from everything associated with it. The nickname and colors aren't the most important change to make, but it's the easiest first step.