PDA

View Full Version : What is Andrew Wiggins' NBA comparison?

ortonsaw
05-18-2013, 12:42 PM
some said lebron, some said pippen, what do u say?

LongLiveTheKing
05-18-2013, 12:43 PM
LePippen.

tikay0
05-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Neither. OJ Mayo was the next Kobe right? 1 year of college changed the shit outta that. Muhammad was the next big thing right? 1 year of college changed the shit outta that.

Let's just wait and see.

chosen_wun
05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
You wont get an idea of how good this guy is gonna be until his sophomore year in the league.

IncarceratedBob
05-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Peak Jordan.

And I'm completely serious.

Elite court vision, elite slasher+shooter, great passer, high morale leader, can jump out of the gym, quick lateral movement, high BB iq.

This kid has all the skills to be the actual next Jordan.

Kobe lacked MJs insane athleticism, leadership and overall offensive game.

LeBron lacks MJs drive to win, his scoring ability, and high skill.

Wiggins has it all.

Shade8780
A shorter Kevin Durant/Tracy McGrady

Leftimage
If he turns out amazing, I'm going to feel a bit sad we wasted the Air Canada moniker on Raptors-era VC.

IncarceratedBob
05-18-2013, 12:54 PM
A shorter Kevin Durant/Tracy McGrady
Not quite.

Durants game is based on elite shooting and the ability to get to the line, average defense+passing.

Peak T-Mac would be a nice floor for Wiggins absolute prime, I'm talking 03 Mac+better defense and attitude.

Leftimage
05-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Upon seeing this high school mixtape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsK-ZoL9sY) of wiggins...

I'm seeing a sort of Lebron/ Durant mix in terms of size, agility and movement.

Doesn't have Lebron's passing, nor does he have Durant's shooting prowess... however it looks like he could be an outstanding slasher/ finisher on Lebron's level.

Then again, that's hard to estimate when he's taller than every other player on the court...

hateraid
05-18-2013, 01:05 PM
I would say a cross between Derrick Rose and Dominique Wilkins. He's got that Nique frame and athleticism with a hint of Derrick Rose ball handling.

Shade8780
05-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I would say a cross between Derrick Rose and Dominique Wilkins. He's got that Nique frame and athleticism with a hint of Derrick Rose ball handling.
No, I think he's more of a cross between Shaquille O'Neal and Michael Jordan.

tikay0
05-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Upon seeing this high school mixtape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsK-ZoL9sY) of wiggins...

I'm seeing a sort of Lebron/ Durant mix in terms of size, agility and movement.

Doesn't have Lebron's passing, nor does he have Durant's shooting prowess... however it looks like he could be an outstanding slasher/ finisher on Lebron's level.

Then again, that's hard to estimate when he's taller than every other player on the court...

Not gonna lie, first time seeing a highlight of this kid. :eek:

Doesn't have Lebron's fast break speed, but much better handles, and iso game. Elite ability to get to the rim, and crazy hops. Also, much better body coordination.

I take that back. The kid's gonna be special.

FreezingTsmoove
05-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Neither. OJ Mayo was the next Kobe right? 1 year of college changed the shit outta that. Muhammad was the next big thing right? 1 year of college changed the shit outta that.

Let's just wait and see.

:oldlol: ***** hasn't played even played summer league yet

K Xerxes
Peak Jordan.

Elite court vision, elite slasher+shooter, great passer, high morale leader, can jump out of the gym, quick lateral movement, high BB iq.

Wiggins has it all.

ROFL. :facepalm

fpliii
I've heard everything from Rudy Gay to Jordan. No clue, but hopefully he's legit. The league's always better when there are more marquee players.

tikay0
05-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Never pay attention to a HS players dunking ability or fast break ability. Always pay attention to their body coordination at that age. Wiggins has special body coordination, lending me to believe he'll dominate college, and make a smooth transition into the NBA.

Twiens
05-18-2013, 01:27 PM
6'8 Dwade

chosen_wun
05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsK-ZoL9sY

Out of his entire senior year highlight tape, the only parts that impressed me was 0:50 and 1:02.

That is TOP TIER body co-ordination and balance. Again, it might take a few years to get this kid. T-Mac and Kobe weren't superstars right out the gate.

tikay0
05-18-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsK-ZoL9sY

Out of his entire senior year highlight tape, the only parts that impressed me was 0:50 and 1:02.

That is TOP TIER body co-ordination and balance. Again, it might take a few years to get this kid. T-Mac and Kobe weren't superstars right out the gate.

The euro step gods would be pleased with that move. :bowdown:

Shade8780
Do you wanna know how good Andrew Wiggins really is? Good enough to have two threads about him at the top of ISH NBA forum when he's not even played a game in college yet :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Kurosawa0
To me he looks like a bigger, more explosive Paul George.

IGotACoolStory
05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
There's a difference between the hype of Andrew Wiggins and Bazz.

For one, people were saying Wiggins was better than Bazz when they both were in high school and, at the time, Bazz was two classes older than Wiggins. Which if you never played basketball outside of 2k, the best of older kids are almost always the best of younger. The development in a year at that stage of physical maturity is usually too substantial to overcome.

In terms of hype in the last five classes, I would guess the rankings go (this is not based on ability, but hype):
1) Andrew Wiggins
2) John Wall
3) Andre Drummond
4) Harrison Barnes
5) Anthony Davis
6) Austin Rivers
7) Shabazz Muhammad
8) Jabari Parker
9) Derrick Favors
10) Nerlens Noel

The guy is not an explosive scorer. Anyone expecting a Durant freshman campaign followed by a LeBron rookie year will be disappointed.

I fully expect something along the lines of 14-16 ppg/6-8 rpg/2-3 apg as a freshman at Kansas. Then around 15/7/2 as a rookie, assuming he ends up on a team where he's a top two option offensively. He'll be a very good defensive player from the start.

Wiggins is more about the upside. Which is risky as hell, since tons of players like that have flopped when they got to the NBA. But he gives a different vibe in the personality, game maturity, and well... You just can't ignore his freakish athleticism. The minute he steps on the floor, I'm betting you he will have the quickest and most explosive second and standing leap in the NBA.

tikay0
05-18-2013, 01:50 PM

What's his NBA comparison to you? And when you say he's not an explosive scorer, is that due to his mentality or is that a limitation he has on the offensive side?

AndOn3
05-18-2013, 01:53 PM
A very, very rich man's Jimmy Butler.

#number6ix#
05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
He's has one of the quickest second jumps I ever seen which reminds me of melo... But I can't really judge to much I've only seen his mixtapes and everybody looks like a superstar in highlight reels

Scholar
05-18-2013, 02:09 PM
He's definitely a mix between Adam Morrison and Luke Walton.

TheFan
05-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Too early to tell, with those skills he could evolve into anything... heck he could grow two inches more and become a PF.

but right now, he seems to be a highflyer with ballhandling skills that can knock down the J when given space... I say Tracy McGrady.

sundizz
05-18-2013, 03:05 PM
My expert opinion is that he will be a top 7 player in his 3rd year.

Burgz V2
05-18-2013, 03:24 PM
it all depends how he defends at the college level. Up until this point he has faced the type of competition necessary to determine his defensive impact. He has all the tools to be a lock down defender, not many players have the type of quickness and length he does, and at 6'8 and close to 7 foot wingspan, this guy could be a nightmare for other teams.

Offensively, he's still raw, but he has everything going for him, and every year of HS he's gotten so much better, it's hard not to believe he won't show up in Lawrence much better than he was in HS.

As for comparison, I don't really think one can be made right now. He's so talented and has so much potential in ALL areas of the game. He runs, he rebounds, he's a willing passer, he scores, he already has a nice midrange jump shot and can hit the college three consistently already, he can post up, he can handle the ball in the open court. There really is no comparison for him yet, because we don't really know what his strengths are (outside of physical abilities) until he plays with better competition.

BlazersDozen
05-18-2013, 03:38 PM
All I know is the 2014 Draft is going to be really good.

MisterAmazing
05-18-2013, 03:54 PM
I try not to get to ahead of myself when looking at high school/college talent anymore, because with all the busts we've seen, no one can be 100% certain how HS/NCAA players will be in the NBA, not even the scouts getting paid to watch these guys' every movement. just take everything you see with that grain of salt.

that being said, from what I've seen, Wiggins' game does reflect that of LeBron's quite a bit. Good size and freakish athleticism. Agile, fearless, and creative. Playmaker on both ends. For now, all I'll say is this: Although it will take a lot to reach it, the potential to match LeBron is there IMO. All I know is, I'll certainly tune in to some more college basketball games this year as I can't wait to see this guy play, and I do hope he can reach that potential.

Here's one of his mixtapes released a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnK5DVohBUQ

RoseCity07
05-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Watch Kobe retire, Lakers tank it next year and win the lottery. Then Wiggins becomes the next mj.

AirFederer
05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
If Kendrick Perkins was a guard....:bowdown:

LLK21
05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Watch Kobe retire, Lakers tank it next year and win the lottery. Then Wiggins becomes the next mj.
and then Kobe comes back from retirement

RedBlackAttack
05-18-2013, 06:52 PM

For one, people were saying Wiggins was better than Bazz when they both were in high school and, at the time, Bazz was two classes older than Wiggins. Which if you never played basketball outside of 2k, the best of older kids are almost always the best of younger. The development in a year at that stage of physical maturity is usually too substantial to overcome.

In terms of hype in the last five classes, I would guess the rankings go (this is not based on ability, but hype):
1) Andrew Wiggins
2) John Wall
3) Andre Drummond
4) Harrison Barnes
5) Anthony Davis
6) Austin Rivers
7) Shabazz Muhammad
8) Jabari Parker
9) Derrick Favors
10) Nerlens Noel

The guy is not an explosive scorer. Anyone expecting a Durant freshman campaign followed by a LeBron rookie year will be disappointed.

I fully expect something along the lines of 14-16 ppg/6-8 rpg/2-3 apg as a freshman at Kansas. Then around 15/7/2 as a rookie, assuming he ends up on a team where he's a top two option offensively. He'll be a very good defensive player from the start.

Wiggins is more about the upside. Which is risky as hell, since tons of players like that have flopped when they got to the NBA. But he gives a different vibe in the personality, game maturity, and well... You just can't ignore his freakish athleticism. The minute he steps on the floor, I'm betting you he will have the quickest and most explosive second and standing leap in the NBA.
Solid post.

I actually think there are players in this (loaded) freshman class who may have a bigger immediate impact. Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker and Julius Randle come to mind as possibilities.

However, when it comes to upside/ceiling/whatever you want to call it, Wiggins does seem to have an extra level of possibility that these others do not.

As for his NBA comparison, I think a modern day Dominique is a pretty good one, but with better defensive instincts and *possibly* elite leadership/killer instinct (we'll see). And that is a hell of a player.

RedBlackAttack
05-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Teams won't need the No. 1 overall pick in next year's draft to potentially get a franchise-changing talent. The 2014 draft is the most hyped since 2003 (even apart from Wiggins) and for good reason.

Check out Randle, Parker, Gordon, Harrison... It even has some elite foreign prospects like Hezonja and Exum.

Loaded.

daj0264
05-18-2013, 06:57 PM
If Kendrick Perkins was a guard....:bowdown:

i just spunked myself

Doctor Rivers
05-18-2013, 06:59 PM

lol that's about right

pauk
05-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Peak Jordan.

Wiggins has it all.

:rolleyes:

K Xerxes
05-18-2013, 07:07 PM
:rolleyes:

Disappointing that you took this long to show up, that post required your attention long ago. Were you too focused on LeBron's balls in your mouth to notice?

che guevara
05-18-2013, 07:21 PM
First of all, there's very little you can tell from these mixtapes. People were freaking out about Brandon Jennings when he was in HS.

Second, I didn't see a single left handed shot in that video. Again, it's a mixtape so it means almost nothing, but that's a little suspicious to me. Can't be an elite slasher in the NBA without being ambidextrous around the hoop.

RedBlackAttack
05-18-2013, 07:59 PM
First of all, there's very little you can tell from these mixtapes. People were freaking out about Brandon Jennings when he was in HS.

Second, I didn't see a single left handed shot in that video. Again, it's a mixtape so it means almost nothing, but that's a little suspicious to me. Can't be an elite slasher in the NBA without being ambidextrous around the hoop.
I'd say Wiggins is certainly the most celebrated high school player since James. Most people agreed that he would be the No. 1 pick if he were available this year.

He definitely has a ton more attention around him than Brandon Jennings ever did. I guess maybe Wall, Harrison Barnes and OJ Mayo could be in the running with Wiggins as "most hyped" since James, but this Wiggins drum has been beating on a national level for years. That's pretty rare.

He definitely needs to work on his left hand. That's probably the area he most needs to improve.

Fact is, he hasn't needed it because he is so far athletically superior to every player he has faced to this point. Even on the collegiate level, he'll have to adapt to flourish and there's no reason to believe he won't. That's the good part of the "one and done" rule, I guess... Seeing how guys improve on their weaknesses from HS to college.

dbk123
05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Julius randle will also be nice. People are comparing him to chris webber

chips93
05-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Teams won't need the No. 1 overall pick in next year's draft to potentially get a franchise-changing talent. The 2014 draft is the most hyped since 2003 (even apart from Wiggins) and for good reason.

Check out Randle, Parker, Gordon, Harrison... It even has some elite foreign prospects like Hezonja and Exum.

Loaded.

hes probably not gonna be in the 2014 draft, more likely 2015

he wants to go to college in america, and cant go into the draft til 2015

Sarcastic
05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
I see Willis Reed with a splash of Bob Cousy.

KyrieTheFuture
05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Want to know why I really love this kid? Seems humble as hell he's never tweeting random BS and his decision wasn't a big deal he just kinda did it. Seems very low key.

inclinerator
05-18-2013, 08:52 PM
probably a bust

RedBlackAttack
05-19-2013, 02:46 AM
hes probably not gonna be in the 2014 draft, more likely 2015

he wants to go to college in america, and cant go into the draft til 2015
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

However, as we all know, these guys often change their minds when things get closer to reality and the money starts to be dangled in front of them.

imdaman99
05-19-2013, 02:52 AM
did he have an espn special on where he was going? if not, definitely doesnt have the drive to be lebron :facepalm

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Peak Jordan.

Wiggins has it all.

lol BULL SH!T MUTHA FCUKING OPINION

noob cake
05-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Solid post.

I actually think there are players in this (loaded) freshman class who may have a bigger immediate impact. Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker and Julius Randle come to mind as possibilities.

However, when it comes to upside/ceiling/whatever you want to call it, Wiggins does seem to have an extra level of possibility that these others do not.

As for his NBA comparison, I think a modern day Dominique is a pretty good one, but with better defensive instincts and *possibly* elite leadership/killer instinct (we'll see). And that is a hell of a player.

Julius Randle - ZBo

Jabari Parker - Paul Pierce

Aaron Gordon - Blake Griffin

Wiggins - Anything from a Paul Goerge to TMac to MJ.

dbk123
05-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Julius Randle - ZBo

Jabari Parker - Paul Pierce

Aaron Gordon - Blake Griffin

Wiggins - Anything from a Paul Goerge to TMac to MJ.
prime randle can possibly be zbo with amost lebron like athleticism/strength. thats ****ing insane.

deja vu
07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Peak Jordan.

Wiggins has it all.
Hold your horses. :facepalm

jayfan
07-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Jordan, honestly. (Whether it will happen is another question altogether)

Tons of athletic talent.

Tons of basketball talent/potential. Great hops. Can get to the rim with ease. Can defend.

Has to develop his shot.

GODbe
07-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Harrison Barnes or MJ

Jailblazers7
07-11-2014, 12:09 PM
I think Pippen is the hopefully comparison but I think that Gerald Wallace with a better jump shot the type of floor to expect.

atljonesbro
07-11-2014, 12:11 PM
I think Pippen is the hopefully comparison but I think that Gerald Wallace with a better jump shot the type of floor to expect.
Lol at the people who always lowball every young players comparison trying to play it safe or seem "realistic"

Jailblazers7
07-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Lol at the people who always lowball every young players comparison trying to play it safe or seem "realistic"

I don't think he will only reach the floor but it's helpful to give a range of outcomes. Prediction is foolish without giving a range of outcomesPeople get on him about lack of ballhandling but Paul George had the same criticisms coming into the league and he is fine.

I think he ends up a Pippen level player except more of an off-ball guy. His defense and rebounding will be elite and I think he is eventually a 20 ppg guy. I don't think he ever gets up to 6-7 assists though. But I'm probably higher on him than most people.