PDA

View Full Version : Dirk is officially GOAT material

CanYouDigIt
05-18-2013, 01:59 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://youtu.be/6YECQLJV2fY

SCdac
05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Dirk was definitely the man in 2011, but the GOAT in basketball doesn't get owned by Stephen Jackson & Crew in the first round of his MVP season.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/dirkguardedbycaptainjack.jpg

shady6121
05-18-2013, 02:43 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://youtu.be/6YECQLJV2fY

:applause:

tikay0
05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Dirk was definitely the man in 2011, but the GOAT in basketball doesn't get owned by Stephen Jackson & Crew in the first round of his MVP season.

Not calling Dirk the GOAT, but there is such things as "styles make fights."

Explain to me how Ken Norton always gave Ali trouble, but Foreman could knock him out like nothing.

DMAVS41
05-18-2013, 03:27 PM

You say that as if Stephen Jackson & crew was an easy matchup for Dirk and the Mavs.

It was in fact the worst matchup possible from players to style to coach.

But yes, coming up that small in a series in which a team should have won is not GOAT material generally.

But this notion that the Warriors weren't a nightmare matchup for Dirk and the Mavs needs to stop.

chosen_wun
05-18-2013, 03:32 PM
There is no excuse for your 60+ win and MVP lead team going down in the first round. You just gotta take that one on the chin and move on.

He redeemed himself anyways by beating Kobe, KD, Lebron.

Doranku
05-18-2013, 03:36 PM
You say that as if Stephen Jackson & crew was an easy matchup for Dirk and the Mavs.

It was in fact the worst matchup possible from players to style to coach.

But yes, coming up that small in a series in which a team should have won is not GOAT material generally.

But this notion that the Warriors weren't a nightmare matchup for Dirk and the Mavs needs to stop.

You'd think that a Spurs fan would be able to sympathize over losing in the first round to an 8th seed. :lol

SCdac
05-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Not calling Dirk the GOAT, but there is such things as "styles make fights."

Explain to me how Ken Norton always gave Ali trouble, but Foreman could knock him out like nothing.

I like boxing, but I don't know enough about it to talk match ups.

The point is, I'm not necessarily talking about "Warriors owning the Mavs", which may have been a bad matchup...

I'm talking about 7-foot, jump shooting, Dirk getting owned by Stephen Jackson and Al Harington, not exactly HOF defenders on a GOAT defensive team :oldlol:

SCdac
05-18-2013, 04:05 PM
You'd think that a Spurs fan would be able to sympathize over losing in the first round to an 8th seed. :lol

LOL Tim Duncan was like 3483928 years old when the Spurs lost

Dirk was in the prime of his career, playing like an MVP for 67-win team.

After getting owned in the first round, dude spent weeks in remote parts of Australia finding himself. It was probably much harder for him than it was for any Spurs players.

I'm sure it (defeat) all added up to what we saw in 2011, but still, that's 13 years after he began his career and he watched guys like Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett solidify their careers before he could.

Definitely not GOAT.... Maybe the GOAT 7-foot jump shooter, though.

b0bab0i
05-18-2013, 04:11 PM

After getting owned in the first round, dude spent weeks in remote parts of Australia finding himself. It was probably much harder for him than it was for any Spurs players.

I'm sure it (defeat) all added up to what we saw in 2011, but still, that's 13 years after he began his career and he watched guys like Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett solidify their careers before he could.

Don't matter, still lost in the first round to an 8th seed.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You guys had Tony Parker in his prime at the time.

DirkNowitzki41
05-18-2013, 04:14 PM

:roll: :roll:

Scholar
05-18-2013, 04:21 PM

Yeah, I suppose it's better to be eliminated by Gay & the gang.

Unbiased_one
05-18-2013, 04:23 PM
I love dirk...him and duncan are criminally under-rated

SCdac
05-18-2013, 04:24 PM

Tony Parker in his prime lol.... Is Tony Parker in his prime even that much better than prime Kevin Johnson or Tim Hardaway?

These were the Spurs leading scorers going into 2011 playoffs:

Parker - 17.5 ppg
Manu - 17.3 ppg
Duncan - 13.4 ppg

Parker was beasting right :oldlol:

Mavs went into the playoffs with Dirk putting up 25 ppg and Howard scoring 19 ppg (both made the AS game)

LJJ
05-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Oh man that ISH server.....

Threads from 2011 are still coming through to this day.

b0bab0i
05-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Tony Parker in his prime lol.... Is Tony Parker in his prime even that much better than prime Kevin Johnson or Tim Hardaway?

Parker - 17.5 ppg
Manu - 17.3 ppg
Duncan - 13.4 ppg

Mavs went into the playoffs with Dirk putting up 25 ppg and Howard scoring 19 ppg (both made the AS game)
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31044342.jpg

Do numbers matter? Both teams lost to an 8th seed as the first seed, but you are trying to make excuses for Spurs to justify why they lost.

Take off your homer glasses bro.
:roll: :oldlol: :roll: :oldlol: :roll: :oldlol:

http://download.lardlad.com/framegrabs/1F08/024.jpg

Doranku
05-18-2013, 04:34 PM

Obviously Dirk is not GOAT material. The OP was obviously being facetious. Why you come in here being a sourpuss and taking the title literally is a mystery to me.

It's a nice commercial for a great player, no need to come in here and bring up his past failures in an attempt to take away from that.

Doranku
05-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Parker - 17.5 ppg
Manu - 17.3 ppg
Duncan - 13.4 ppg

What is even your argument here that you're trying to prove?

Pistons leading scorers going into the 2004 playoffs:
Rip - 17.6 ppg
Chauncey - 16.9 ppg
Sheed - 13.7 ppg

Guess they all suck. :oldlol:

SCdac
05-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Obviously Dirk is not GOAT material. The OP was obviously being facetious. Why you come in here being a sourpuss and taking the title literally is a mystery to me.

It's a nice commercial for a great player, no need to come in here and bring up his past failures in an attempt to take away from that.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen :cheers:

What is even your argument here that you're trying to prove?

Pistons leading scorers going into the 2004 playoffs:
Rip - 17.6 ppg
Chauncey - 16.9 ppg
Sheed - 13.7 ppg

Guess they all suck.

The argument is the 2011 Spurs, lead by older players, were clearly not as good as the 2007 Mavs, lead by an 28 year old MVP-calibre player... :confusedshrug:

All the Pistons best players were still in their 20's, you cant say that about the Spurs.

tpols
05-18-2013, 04:59 PM

The argument is the 2011 Spurs, lead by older players, were clearly not as good as the 2007 Mavs, lead by an 28 year old MVP-calibre player... :confusedshrug:

All the Pistons best players were still in their 20's, you cant say that about the Spurs.
Yea 07 mavs>11 Spurs..

But you of all people can't throw around the 8 seed beating a 1 seed insult when your squad even more recently accomplished that feat. Pure irony with or without the semantics.

Locked_Up_Tonight
05-18-2013, 05:10 PM
It's okay. SCDAC was posting things just like CJ Mustard for the longest time: Dirk can't win. Dirk aint a superstar. He doesn't make players better.

Now that the Mavs won and Dirk was leading them, he still has to throw in some snide remarks here and there.

SCdac
05-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Yea 07 mavs>11 Spurs..

But you of all people can't throw around the 8 seed beating a 1 seed insult when your squad even more recently accomplished that feat. Pure irony with or without the semantics.

My initial post made no mention of the seeding (only the timing, ie. first round), nor do I think "seed x" losing to "seed y" really means much in it of itself...

It's how it happened, who is involved, the quality and value of said players, the circumstances, etc...

In other words, 8th seed losing to a 1 seed is a team thing. Dirk shooting .38% in a first round playoff series during his MVP season is an individual thing. Dude got owned.. and bad.

http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/BarnesBlog_050407_250.jpg

SCdac
05-18-2013, 05:20 PM
It's okay. SCDAC was posting things just like CJ Mustard for the longest time: Dirk can't win. Dirk aint a superstar. He doesn't make players better.

Now that the Mavs won and Dirk was leading them, he still has to throw in some snide remarks here and there.

eh it's a friendly rivalry. and will probably always be there. I enjoy dishing and taking a little ribbing here and there in terms of basketball and in-state rivalries (hook em). ultimately I'm glad Dirk and Kidd won, and now every basketball team in Texas has a championship. I'm happy for Dirk, but he ain't GOAT material

dirkdiggler41
05-18-2013, 05:26 PM
SCdac, if you actully watched the Mavs Warriors series we could have a great discussen. What I remember, this points are the reason why the Mavs lost,
-Don Nelson knew how the team was buildt offensively because it was his playsets
-Avery Johnson was and still is a terrible offensive coach who was not able at that time to change the Mavs gameplan
-The Warriors was incredible effective with their double teams against Dirk, knowing exactly what he was going to do. Again, Don Nelson was the master behind the Mavs offense.
-The Warriors was on fire coming in, they chemistry, their shooting, everything was just flowing. Baron Davis was shooting one legged treponters running up. They were such beasts on offense and was scrapping on defence.

I think this clip from game 4 sums up that series pretty well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJfazSwde0

Locked_Up_Tonight
05-18-2013, 05:31 PM
eh it's a friendly rivalry. and will probably always be there. I enjoy dishing and taking a little ribbing here and there in terms of basketball and in-state rivalries (hook em). ultimately I'm glad Dirk and Kidd won, and now every basketball team in Texas has a championship. I'm happy for Dirk, but he ain't GOAT material

Nope. No one will ever supplant Jordan/Russell/Wilt from that debate. But he's Top 20. And when his career is done he will be Top 5-10 in points scored, be in Top 10 in playoff PPG, points scored and be one of a handful of players who have averaged 25/10 in the playoffs, and only a handful of players who have a MVP, and Finals MVP.

SCdac
05-18-2013, 05:44 PM
SCdac, if you actully watched the Mavs Warriors series we could have a great discussen. What I remember, this points are the reason why the Mavs lost,
-Don Nelson knew how the team was buildt offensively because it was his playsets
-Avery Johnson was and still is a terrible offensive coach who was not able at that time to change the Mavs gameplan
-The Warriors was incredible effective with their double teams against Dirk, knowing exactly what he was going to do. Again, Don Nelson was the master behind the Mavs offense.
-The Warriors was on fire coming in, they chemistry, their shooting, everything was just flowing. Baron Davis was shooting one legged treponters running up. They were such beasts on offense and was scrapping on defence.

I think this clip from game 4 sums up that series pretty well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJfazSwde0

Good points, and yes I watched the series. I agree the shorter SF/PF's covered Dirk well, but I also think Dirk collapsed big time

Looking past that, how much do you think losing the Warriors, Heat, etc, helped Dirk in the end?

I think his post game improved from 2008-2011, and he became tougher mentally and physically. The way he handled extra defensive attention improved. Wasn't the soft player we saw in his first 3-4 years. Shorter players (James Posey, Stephen Jackson, etc) gave him pressure that I think 2011 Dirk would overcome.

Locked Up Tonight, top-20 sounds about right, I agree. The rankings of Dirk, Robinson, and Garnett I think make for a decent debate (Karl Malone too, but don't care to go there). All of them seem flawed to me, and all of them HOF'ers. Prime Robinson in today's league I think would be more accomplished than the physical league he was a part of, but that's speculation.

atljonesbro
05-18-2013, 05:46 PM
SCdac is a well known homer on this site. Don't take the bait.

DirkNowitzki41
05-18-2013, 07:16 PM
It's a shame that Dirk has had countless great playoff performances yet people bring him down for one bad series.

R.I.P.
05-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Parker was 29. :facepalm

SCdac
05-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Parker was 29. :facepalm

Duncan was 34 and Manu was 33...

and all three of them were 4 years removed from being in the Finals, and in 2011 they went up against an 8th seed better than the 42-win Warriors.

MVP Dirk was on another level than anybody on the 2011 Spurs, that should be obvious.

secund2nun
05-18-2013, 07:54 PM
This may make me unpopular but Dirk is easily better than Kobe ever has been.

DFish24
05-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Not even the Goat PF, or second best PF.

Balla_Status
05-18-2013, 09:10 PM
SCdac says spurs are old yet in countless other threads says Duncan is ageless and should win DPOY and Tony Parker should be MVP.

How can Tim Duncan be the GOAT PF when he let his team down against an 8th seed? Preposterous.

DMAVS41
05-19-2013, 02:21 AM

By far the worst 67 win team from top to bottom in NBA history. In fact, it's not even close.

With an inept head coach that panicked before the series even started. Playing a Warriors team that for the first time all year was healthy and happened to play the worst style possible for the Mavs/Dirk...and have a whole host of defenders that give Dirk problems....and coached by Dirk's former coach.

Dirk deserves to get hammered for that series...but acting like it wasn't a really tough matchup is just being ignorant. The funny thing is...put Dirk against a team like the 04 Pistons...and he probably performs better offensively. That notion of bad matchups seems to elude you and people like you constantly.

If you knew anything you would know what kind of problems that Warriors team could give the Mavs. Honestly...the two biggest take aways from that series were that Avery was a bum and that Harris couldn't run an offense in which he had to make precision passes and control the game (neither could Terry)

Also, while Dirk played like shit, the way people talk is as if it was the worst series ever. 20/11/2...yes, on shit efficiency, but I've seen much worse.

unbreakable
05-19-2013, 02:29 AM
How can Tim Duncan be the GOAT PF when he let his team down against an 8th seed? Preposterous.

what an absolute ASININE statement. as if no other great player ever got bounced in the 1st round.

Tim Duncan has 4 rings.. more than the entire state of Texas combined. Suck on that , scrub.

:coleman:

DMAVS41
05-19-2013, 02:32 AM
Duncan was 34 and Manu was 33...

and all three of them were 4 years removed from being in the Finals, and in 2011 they went up against an 8th seed better than the 42-win Warriors.

MVP Dirk was on another level than anybody on the 2011 Spurs, that should be obvious.

Do you honestly think you can get away with calling the Warriors a 42 win team and provide no context to the injuries they suffered.

Not that the win totals mean anything given the fact that the Warriors, as previously stated, were probably the only team in the West besides the Spurs that could have given the Mavs a series.

But just to educated you. That team won 42 games despite the following;

baron missed 20 games
harrington missed 40 games
Jackson only played 37 games for the team
richardson missed 30 games

And they still won 42 games...so even though the win total is pointless...at least provide some objective analysis please

b0bab0i
05-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Do you honestly think you can get away with calling the Warriors a 42 win team and provide no context to the injuries they suffered.

Not that the win totals mean anything given the fact that the Warriors, as previously stated, were probably the only team in the West besides the Spurs that could have given the Mavs a series.

But just to educated you. That team won 42 games despite the following;

baron missed 20 games
harrington missed 40 games
Jackson only played 37 games for the team
richardson missed 30 games

And they still won 42 games...so even though the win total is pointless...at least provide some objective analysis please
In this thread, we learn SCdac is an idiot.

CanYouDigIt
05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I created this thread so people could post pro-Dirk and anti-Heat comments.

I didn't expect this... :biggums:

OldSchoolBBall
05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Dirk's 2011 postseason is up there in the top 10-12 for most dominant postseason runs I've ever personally seen from any player. And not unique players, either - 15 total runs. So if MJ has like 3, Shaq a couple etc., Dirk's '11 would still be top 12 at a minimum. He was disgustingly good. Demoralizing teams left and right that postseason.

SCdac
05-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Dirk and "GOAT material" in the same sentence is laughable, sorry to burst you Dirk-homers bubble :oldlol:

DMAVS41
05-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Dirk and "GOAT material" in the same sentence is laughable, sorry to burst you Dirk-homers bubble :oldlol:

I don't think it is meant to be taken literally....

Great response though...great response. Just go back with your tail between your legs after a Spurs fan questioned the level of competition during the Mavs 11 title run...

A Spurs fan...ROFL

SCdac
05-19-2013, 05:34 PM
I don't think it is meant to be taken literally....

I sure hope not, dude doesn't even come close to GOAT even at his own position... :facepalm

DMAVS41
05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
I sure hope not, dude doesn't even come close to GOAT even at his own position... :facepalm

True.

Who has said this?

Who claims Dirk is better than Duncan?

You seem to just not like Dirk for some reason...and your arguments are very weak.