PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst defensive player in the league right now?

waseem780
05-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Who is the worst defensive player in the league right now?

Heavincent
05-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Carlos Boozer

Teanett
05-19-2013, 03:00 PM
antawn jamison

imdaman99
05-19-2013, 03:01 PM
amare? novak? my vote would be kevin martin

Noyze
05-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Marshon Brooks, Mike Dunleavy, Carmelo Anthony, & Lou Williams

All terrible defenders or just don't put in effort.

Twiens
05-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Bargs

stanlove1111
05-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Who is the worst defensive player in the league right now?
Kobe. He has been for years....I have never seen a player with less interest in playing defense, which is amazing because I keep hearing about his will to win..IF he really had this will to win he would also play defense...This proves to me that with Kobe its not about will to win, its about the will to pass Jabbar.

imdaman99
05-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Kobe. He has been for years....I have never seen a player with less interest in playing defense, which is amazing because I keep hearing about his will to win..IF he really had this will to win he would also play defense...This proves to me that with Kobe its not about will to win, its about the will to pass Jabbar.
what a horrible post. he is mid 30s, and the lakers team is so dependent on him creating for them on offense to win games. he cant always chase down the speedy PGs who the laker PGs cannot defend. is that you silk?

Doranku
05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Steve Nash

stanlove1111
05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
what a horrible post. he is mid 30s, and the lakers team is so dependent on him creating for them on offense to win games. he cant always chase down the speedy PGs who the laker PGs cannot defend. is that you silk?

What a horrible post you just posted. he doesn't freaking guard anyone . I have never seen anything like him.. He has ZERO interest in defense, and he was always way overrated to begin with on that end..

Bringing up his age is crap. A lot of players play to their mid 30s, but Kobe is the first one who just doesn't guard anyone..He often cheats out and tries to get a quick 2..Anything to get closer to Jabbar..But what would you expect from a guy who admits that he chased Shaq out of LA so he could shine more himself...Some will to win..

The JKidd Kid
05-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Kyrie Irving is absolutely horrible on defense. I seriously wonder if I could defend NBA caliber players better than him. Stephen Curry is really awful too. It's probably between those two.

kurple
05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
andre miller without a doubt

the slowest and also the lazyest.. didnt you watch the Nuggets - Warriors series?

#number6ix#
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
brook lopez and carlos boozer

che guevara
05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Kyrie Irving is absolutely horrible on defense. I seriously wonder if I could defend NBA caliber players better than him. Stephen Curry is really awful too. It's probably between those two.
I swear, some people just make shit up and don't actually watch players on defense. Curry was a liability when he came into the league, but he's average at this point. Average is a hell of a lot different than liability. Try actually paying attention to the game for once.

chazzy
05-19-2013, 05:14 PM
It would have to be a really poor interior defender because that's the easiest to explot

RedBlackAttack
05-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I like how everyone immediately goes to the star/name players. The worst defender in the league is probably a guy who almost never gets minutes and you've never heard of.

KungFuJoe
05-19-2013, 05:19 PM
James harden.

branslowski
05-19-2013, 05:21 PM
I like how everyone immediately goes to the star/name players. The worst defender in the league is probably a guy who almost never gets minutes and you've never heard of.

A dumbass in this thread said Kobe, Kobe who has over 7 All-Defensive First Team selections. (Coaches vote, not uninformed media nor ugly ass msg board posters who get no ****)...Basically, an agenda is a agenda.

WWRWestbrookDo?
05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Lillard honorable mention

DMAVS41
05-19-2013, 05:27 PM

He's not a star, but David Lee.

It has to be a player that plays enough minutes to matter. From all the players I've seen play...I think David Lee is the worst defender when you factor in his position and how many minutes he's on the floor every game.

Wang Zhi Zhi
05-19-2013, 05:27 PM
A dumbass in this thread said Kobe, Kobe who has over 7 All-Defensive First Team selections. (Coaches vote, not uninformed media nor ugly ass msg board posters who get no ****)...Basically, an agenda is a agenda.

all defensive teams have been a joke since kobe was making first teams

Fudge
05-19-2013, 05:29 PM
What a horrible post you just posted. he doesn't freaking guard anyone . I have never seen anything like him.. He has ZERO interest in defense, and he was always way overrated to begin with on that end..

Bringing up his age is crap. A lot of players play to their mid 30s, but Kobe is the first one who just doesn't guard anyone..He often cheats out and tries to get a quick 2..Anything to get closer to Jabbar..But what would you expect from a guy who admits that he chased Shaq out of LA so he could shine more himself...Some will to win..
All y'all sound so alike. Hi RG. :lol

RedBlackAttack
05-19-2013, 05:36 PM

It has to be a player that plays enough minutes to matter. From all the players I've seen play...I think David Lee is the worst defender when you factor in his position and how many minutes he's on the floor every game.
That wasn't stipulated in the OP. It was simply "who's the worst defensive player in the league."

If we're going by the "enough minutes to matter" method, the top of that list is always going to be littered with guys in their first couple seasons. Defense is usually the last thing to come for players drafted as scorers/playmakers.

If we are going by the "enough minutes to matter AND it appears as though a guy is going to stay a horrific defender," then Lee might have a case as far as interior guys are concerned.

I would probably nominate Jeremy Lin as a guy who is likely to stay really bad. Then again, it is not difficult for a team to make up for a poor defending point guard. It is probably the least important defensive position.

DMAVS41
05-19-2013, 05:41 PM
That wasn't stipulated in the OP. It was simply "who's the worst defensive player in the league."

If we're going by the "enough minutes to matter" method, the top of that list is always going to be littered with guys in their first couple seasons. Defense is usually the last thing to come for players drafted as scorers/playmakers.

If we are going by the "enough minutes to matter AND it appears as though a guy is going to stay a horrific defender," then Lee might have a case as far as interior guys are concerned.

I would probably nominate Jeremy Lin as a guy who is likely to stay really bad. Then again, it is not difficult for a team to make up for a poor defending point guard. It is probably the least important defensive position.

Ok.

But, like you said, it's impossible to determine that actual worst defender if that is a player playing 5 minutes per game or something.

So I'd go with Lee. He plays a lot of minutes...meaning his awful defense is impacting his team a lot throughout a game...and he's an interior player.

Crafty
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Mike Miller. Always going for the charge ... Gets a and1 in the face

GabeIsGone
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Obvious answer is Matt Bonner. aka The Red Mamba.

uber
05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Steve Novak ....

Bucket_Nakedz
05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
some white dude

stanlove1111
05-19-2013, 07:01 PM

And some dumbass didn't see that the question was about now. I guess that dumbass doesn't know that past awards mean nothing when talking about now. But I guess that's what makes a dumbass a dumbass.

Leftimage
05-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Ya, we'd really get a kick out of debating that person's defensive qualities.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Big Al or Foye

Vertical-24
05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Nash, Boozer, Andre Miller, Jamison, Randy Foye, Tyreke Evans, Jimmer Fredette.

andremiller07
05-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Nash, Boozer, Andre Miller, Jamison, Randy Foye, Tyreke Evans, Jimmer Fredette.

Have you ever watched him play? He's one the of the better two way players in the L, if Tyreke were on a team like the Grizz he would be on a All-NBA D squad he was excellent on D this season.

Mr. I'm So Rad
05-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Chris Copeland. He plays defense standing straight up. He plays flat footed too.

Jamison and Boozer are definitely honorable mentions though.

Vertical-24
05-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Have you ever watched him play? He's one the of the better two way players in the L, if Tyreke were on a team like the Grizz he would be on a All-NBA D squad he was excellent on D this season.

In all fairness, I haven't seen him much this season. From what I remember last season, I just remember him gambling on defense or losing his man on rotations. Hadn't really impressed me since his rookie year.

andremiller07
05-19-2013, 10:32 PM
In all fairness, I haven't seen him much this season. From what I remember last season, I just remember him gambling on defense or losing his man on rotations. Hadn't really impressed me since his rookie year.
O Ok yeah this year his D took a massive step up he was very good, above average.

TheBigVeto
05-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Kobe

Guy Ledouche
05-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Unless he's gotten any better since when he was on the Sixers, I'd say Marreese Speights.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Duhon. He also holds the title for worst offensive player in the league.

Gabuyaux
05-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Boozer.

The JKidd Kid
05-19-2013, 11:45 PM
I swear, some people just make shit up and don't actually watch players on defense. Curry was a liability when he came into the league, but he's average at this point. Average is a hell of a lot different than liability. Try actually paying attention to the game for once.

I actually did pay attention to the game and what I saw was a unathletic, short and weak PG that couldnt guard Tony Parker for his life. This caused them to have to switch Klay Thompson on him, causing Curry to have to guard Danny Green or Leonard. And whenever the player that Curry was guarding caught the ball, you would see the scramble of the Warriors other 4 players trying to figure out what to do because Curry was so out classed on the defensive end. Same thing happened in Denver.

The kid cannot guard the players at his position even decently and hes too short, weak and unathletic to switch on to 2's. He is the definition of a defensive liability.

hangintheair
05-20-2013, 12:06 AM
according to WIFsports

http://www.whatifsports.com/nba-l/playersearch.asp?pg=1&pos=6&season=2012-13&season2=2012-13&sal_min=239000&sal_max=99000000&format=2&sb=15&order=2&max=50&StatCriteriaCat1=9&StatCriteriaMin1=0&StatCriteriaMax1=20&searches=-1&replacesearch=-1

no pun intended
05-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Kendrick Perkins.

Sharmer
05-20-2013, 07:47 AM
1 Nash.

2 Pierce, slow , lazy and has no ups.

3 Melo, has the tools but just lazy on d.

kshutts1
05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
People really shouldn't mention Boozer... he's not a good individual defender, at all, but he sticks to the system really well, which makes him a useful defensive piece in the system. For that reason alone he really can't be considered the worst defender.

First thought that popped into my head, for worst defender, was Novak. Bargs is another one. We see a pattern?

Edit: Is Eddy Curry still in the league?

Shepseskaf
05-20-2013, 08:53 AM
He's an All-Star, but not a star?

dh144498
05-20-2013, 11:12 AM

whose gimmick are you?

mugiwara
05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Boozer.