PDA

View Full Version : NBA ratings are down... no one wants to watch spurs

StocktonFan
05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Articles about a week old, but yeah...

Sunday's San Antonio-Golden State matchup drew a 3.4 rating and 5.3 million viewers, down 29% in ratings and 30% in viewers from last year's Heat-Pacers game and 36% and 40% from 2011's Lakers-Mavericks matchup.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/may/abc-s-nba-playoff-ratings-are-in-the-tank.html

Odinn
05-21-2013, 07:30 PM

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/may/abc-s-nba-playoff-ratings-are-in-the-tank.html
The way Spurs play the ball, if you're a fan of the game you want to watch the Spurs.

K Xerxes
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
The way Spurs play the ball, if you're a fan of the game you want to watch the Spurs.

:applause:

Beautiful ball movement and hitting the open man > hero ball

tikay0
05-21-2013, 07:37 PM

THIS.

Sharmer
05-21-2013, 07:38 PM

The public have no appreciation of good basketball.

The old spurs team were boring, heck they been averaging 100 PPG.

PJR
05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
The Heat's game 4 against the Milwaukee Bucks got a higher rating than San Antonio/Memphis WCF game 1. ABC's rating are in the toilet due to the lack of Heat games.

DuMa
05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
i dont give a shit about ratings. it means nothing about how many wants to watch who.

Ballin095
05-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I didn't even know there were ratings for nba games.

justin43
05-21-2013, 07:42 PM
THIS.

Pretty much. Superstars and dynamic offenses drives the ratings unless there is a dark horse team beating a higher seed opponent. Most viewers look for the flashy plays and stylish basketball and fail to appreciate the finer details of great fundamental team basketball. It is a shame indeed. If people took a closer, deeper look into a team like the Spurs, they would be a bit more entertained.

PickernRoller
05-21-2013, 07:43 PM
The era where the King reigns supreme, according to some :lol :lol , an era of falling ratings, of disease and troubles, of travesty and despair. But I thought he was the savior? Stern told us, subtly, the banners and posters told us. The bandwagon made statues of him, prayed for him, worshiped him. Where did everything went wrong?

Are we this doomed?

Sharmer
05-21-2013, 07:44 PM
i dont give a shit about ratings. it means nothing about how many wants to watch who.

well said......:bowdown:

Twiens
05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
No Kobe = Bad ratings. It is what it is

Derka
10,000 x THIS

LongLiveTheKing
The era where the King reigns supreme, according to some :lol :lol , an era of falling ratings, of disease and troubles, of travesty and despair. But I thought he was the savior? Stern told us, subtly, the banners and posters told us. The bandwagon made statues of him, prayed for him, worshiped him. Where did everything went wrong?

Are we this doomed?

I am surprised to not see this posted anywhere on the first page.

Game 2 of the Heat/Thunder NBA Finals drew a 10.4 final TV rating Thursday night. It was the most watched NBA game in total audience in 11 years. It was also the highest rated game among men (18-34) since Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls were playing the Utah Jazz in the NBA Finals in 1998.

Source: ESPN Media Zone, ABC, Nielsen Media Research

Last year.

LongLiveTheKing
05-21-2013, 07:46 PM

I am surprised to not see this posted anywhere on the first page.

Game 2 of the Heat/Thunder NBA Finals drew a 10.4 final TV rating Thursday night. It was the most watched NBA game in total audience in 11 years. It was also the highest rated game among men (18-34) since Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls were playing the Utah Jazz in the NBA Finals in 1998.

Source: ESPN Media Zone, ABC, Nielsen Media Research

tikay0
05-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Pretty much. Superstars and dynamic offenses drives the ratings unless there is a dark horse team beating a higher seed opponent. Most viewers look for the flashy plays and stylish basketball and fail to appreciate the finer details of great fundamental team basketball. It is a shame indeed. If people took a closer, deeper look into a team like the Spurs, they would be a bit more entertained.

The Spurs have been one of the most entertaining teams in the league for the past 3-5 years.

Goldrush25
05-21-2013, 07:50 PM
It's not a shock. Yes, the Spurs play great team basketball. But people watch the NBA for fast breaks, dunks, alley oops, no-look passes, blocks, excitement, not to see teams who run the best pick-and-roll and who spaces the floor the best. People don't want to have to think about stuff to be entertained, they want to just enjoy it because it excites them. Nuances don't move the meter. Excitement does.

That's why superstars drive this league and why Spurs/Indiana/Denver don't.

PickernRoller
05-21-2013, 07:52 PM

......... What do you think draws them? Competition? Greatness? or, Failure? Travesty? Embarrassment? Broken promises?

justin43
05-21-2013, 08:01 PM
The Spurs have been one of the most entertaining teams in the league for the past 3-5 years.

Don't misunderstand. I didn't say that the Spurs are boring. That is not my point. The Spurs just play more substance than flash(superstars).

Edit: Goldrush perfectly shows my viewpoint.

PickernRoller
05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Don't misunderstand. I didn't say that the Spurs are boring. That is not my point. The Spurs just play more substance than flash(superstars).

I could take a 1000 beatings and still not wake up for the Spurs. We all know why the Spurs became champs in 2007. If I remember correctly as soon as someone in the league got a decent teammate he buried the Spurs where they belonged. 00-05 were the heydays of the Spurs.

PejaNowitzki
05-21-2013, 08:05 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And if only "fans of the game" watched.......professional basketball would be somewhere between professional bowling and bodybuilding.

Nothing you wrote counters what was written in the initial post, when it comes to the Spurs, the general public just doesn't seem to give a ****, whether it be that they are from a small market or lack exciting personalities, as much as people like to excoriate the general public, they are the reason "fans of the game" get to watch televised games in the first place.

Rose'sACL
05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
That is wrong. Parker and ginobli constantly do flashy things on court. Heat and spurs play the same kind of basketball which is to find the best shot possible.
The problem is that ESPN and other big channels call spurs boring and heat exciting to watch.
Spurs of old can be considered boring but current spurs are really fun to watch even for casuals but ESPN doesn't market spurs as a really fun team to watch.
Also, the fact that most of the country either loves or hates LeBron helps a lot otherwise Miami is not a big basketball market. Take this forum for example, all the people here who hate lebron for right or wrong reasons still watch his every game.
a lebron less miami against OKC would have resulted in bad or at best mediocre ratings for last year's finals but because of him the ratings were great.

SpecialQue
05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
The public wants their stars, and Durant vs. Lebron was guaranteed ratings. No one cares about all-around great teams without a huge star leading them, unfortunately.

unbreakable
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
spurs-thunder drew a 5.4 last year.. based on deductive logic..

NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH THE GRIZ.. STOP BLAMING THE SPURS YOU SCRUBS

rmt
05-21-2013, 08:20 PM
It's the NBA's own fault for pushing superstars over teams. They constantly barrage the media with certain stars and when those stars don't make the playoffs or lose early in the playoffs, then interest drops. The casual fan gets Lebron and Kobe rammed down their throats and almost never hear about the other great players around the league. Don't know what they'll do if MEM and IND make the Finals.

Goldrush25
05-21-2013, 08:21 PM
That is wrong. Parker and ginobli constantly do flashy things on court. Heat and spurs play the same kind of basketball which is to find the best shot possible.
The problem is that ESPN and other big channels call spurs boring and heat exciting to watch.
Spurs of old can be considered boring but current spurs are really fun to watch even for casuals but ESPN doesn't market spurs as a really fun team to watch.
Also, the fact that most of the country either loves or hates LeBron helps a lot otherwise Miami is not a big basketball market. Take this forum for example, all the people here who hate lebron for right or wrong reasons still watch his every game.
a lebron less miami against OKC would have resulted in bad or at best mediocre ratings for last year's finals but because of him the ratings were great.

LOL.

Saying ESPN tells people which teams to like is like saying McDonald's tells people what foods to like.

ESPN doesn't have a dog in the fight in regards to who people want to see. They're a research company. They research who the most popular teams are, and those are the teams that they cover. Just like McDonald's figures out what people want and they serve it up to them. If people don't like what they're serving, it gets discontinued. If they like it they'll continue to sell it. It's a consumer-based economy.

ESPN covers certain teams more than others because those are the teams people want to see. But it's the people that control the demand. If the Spurs don't rate high it's because no one wants to see them. Can't make it any more simple than that.

TheTruth#34
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM

True. Lakers should get a free pass to the finals every season. After all nobody wants to watch anything else :rolleyes:

justin43
05-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Which is why I said superstars and dynamic play.:oldlol: Viewers always look for the great players in the team to play. While Ginobli and Parker have their moments, they are not the hot items like Stephen Curry, Kobe Bryant, Wade, Lebron, and others. You are right to say that it is the fault of ESPN for the Spurs' current label. The bold only reinforces my point that the dynamic superstars drives the ratings in the NBA.

StocktonFan
05-21-2013, 08:24 PM

you mean everyone wanted to watch the thunder?

tmacattack33
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM

/thread

Rose'sACL
05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
LOL.

Saying ESPN tells people which teams to like is like saying McDonald's tells people what foods to like.

ESPN doesn't have a dog in the fight in regards to who people want to see. They're a research company. They research who the most popular teams are, and those are the teams that they cover. Just like McDonald's figures out what people want and they serve it up to them. If people don't like what they're serving, it gets discontinued. If they like it they'll continue to sell it. It's a consumer-based economy.

ESPN covers certain teams because those are the teams people want to see. Can't make it any more simple than that.
They do have a dog in the fight. LA is the bigger market and they promoted lakers over spurs for a long time and now people have this image of spurs being a boring team to watch. Even if ESPN wanted to change what people think about spurs, it will take time.
I have no problem with what other people think. i am just replying to this thread.
It is league's fault for advertising players instead of teams.ESPN helped the league in doing this. This approach helped in getting big rise in ratings when Jordan was playing but slowly league must be realizing that people just want to watch the top 2-3 players in the league which results in higher ratings for the series in which that superstar is playing but bad ratings for every other series.

PejaNowitzki
05-21-2013, 08:33 PM
It's the NBA's own fault for pushing superstars over teams. They constantly barrage the media with certain stars and when those stars don't make the playoffs or lose early in the playoffs, then interest drops. The casual fan gets Lebron and Kobe rammed down their throats and almost never hear about the other great players around the league. Don't know what they'll do if MEM and IND make the Finals.

LOL.......Execs at ABC.........................

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17109365/images/1323129813362.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Doctor Rivers
05-21-2013, 08:40 PM

Huh?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5302401

The Lakers' 83-79 win Thursday night on ABC earned an 18.2 overnight rating. That's the highest for an NBA game since Michael Jordan won his last championship with the Bulls in Game 6 of the 1998 Finals against the Jazz, which posted a 22.9.

The rating was 32 percent higher than the only other Game 7 of the past 16 years, that one being Pistons-Spurs in 2005, which drew a 13.8.

FKAri
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM

There aren't many fans of "the game". There are many soap-opera-disguised-as-sport watchers.

Goldrush25
05-21-2013, 08:54 PM
They do have a dog in the fight. LA is the bigger market and they promoted lakers over spurs for a long time and now people have this image of spurs being a boring team to watch. Even if ESPN wanted to change what people think about spurs, it will take time.
I have no problem with what other people think. i am just replying to this thread.
It is league's fault for advertising players instead of teams.ESPN helped the league in doing this. This approach helped in getting big rise in ratings when Jordan was playing but slowly league must be realizing that people just want to watch the top 2-3 players in the league which results in higher ratings for the series in which that superstar is playing but bad ratings for every other series.

They promote Lakers because that's what people want to see. It all comes back to what people want to see. If you don't rate, you don't get covered. Spurs don't rate. That's not ESPN's fault. People make their own decisions as to if they want to watch them or not. I can watch the Spurs play and while they're great at what they do, I know why I prefer watching Kobe and the Lakers, KD and OKC, or Lebron and the Heat. I like watching them. That's a decision I made on my own. Has nothing to do with the TV market.

OKC media market is appreciably smaller than San Antonio's yet they get higher ratings. If you have a star people want to see, your team gets covered. It's a bottom line business.

FreezingTsmoove
05-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Spurs games on weekdays are on pretty late here on the east coast. One reason why

MARLO
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
The major networks DO have a dog in the fight. Are we all that shortsighted as to not remember the insane amount of hype the Lakers get from ESPN ALL THE TIME. They were practically crowned champions by every talking head in existence before the season started!

And when they publicly disintegrated... The media were like jackals. The Lakers were all you heard about. There's a reason only a few teams have outrageous tv deals.

Then you have the Spurs, who as a small market franchise, have arguably done everything right. Yet despite their success, their players don't have grandiose sponsorships tied in with the NBA. Their players don't make headlines doing wrong things. They usually don't have any media coverage until the playoffs start, which they have made 16 years in a row.

The Spurs are not boring. They just don't placate the media. And both the media and David Stern have been returning the favor.

SpecialQue
05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
There aren't many fans of "the game". There are many soap-opera-disguised-as-sport watchers.

This is a fact. Remember all the retards that were booing Humphries last season? :facepalm

SacJB Shady
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Tuck the spurs!!!!!!! Old boring no flashy fundamentals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARLO
05-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Tuck the spurs!!!!!!! Old boring no flashy fundamentals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Case in point.

d.bball.guy
05-22-2013, 01:52 AM
This basically. It's that superstar effect that's causing all of this :facepalm

LAZERUSS
05-22-2013, 02:00 AM
And considering that it is a well known fact that the NBA rigs the season...just who the hell is running the show there?

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 02:02 AM
If San Antonio is really keen on shedding the ''boring'' brand, they should maybe consider new uniforms. There is nothing more boring than silver on black.

(to be clear, I think this is the type of move that would appeal to fake, superficial basketball fans. I quite like the spurs unis as they are.)

But honestly, something as stupid as a new color scheme can do wonders for a team's image, and perhaps translate to better ratings down the road...

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 02:09 AM
And considering that it is a well known fact that the NBA rigs the season...just who the hell is running the show there?

If the NBA is rigged, then it ****ing sucks at rigging...

most hyped player since Jordan... let's rig the draft and send him to... CLEVELAND, one of the shittiest, smallest-market teams in the league.

What exactly does the NBA rig? Do you think the Spurs, Pistons and Mavs were all carefully selected as champions to boost ratings ?

The most popular players in the league, with a few exceptions, haven't done well in the playoffs (Iverson, Melo, T-Mac, etc). So what is being rigged and why?

Let me guess... ''no, you've got it all wrong, different owners bribed their way to a chip''

KokeAyne
05-22-2013, 02:10 AM
If San Antonio is really keen on shedding the ''boring'' brand, they should maybe consider new uniforms. There is nothing more boring than silver on black.

(to be clear, I think this is the type of move that would appeal to fake, superficial basketball fans. I quite like the spurs unis as they are.)

But honestly, something as stupid as a new color scheme can do wonders for a team's image, and perhaps translate to better ratings down the road...

Their grey home jerseys are sweet....infinitely better than white home jerseys.

tpols
05-22-2013, 02:23 AM
The major networks DO have a dog in the fight. Are we all that shortsighted as to not remember the insane amount of hype the Lakers get from ESPN ALL THE TIME. They were practically crowned champions by every talking head in existence before the season started!

And when they publicly disintegrated... The media were like jackals. The Lakers were all you heard about. There's a reason only a few teams have outrageous tv deals.

Then you have the Spurs, who as a small market franchise, have arguably done everything right. Yet despite their success, their players don't have grandiose sponsorships tied in with the NBA. Their players don't make headlines doing wrong things. They usually don't have any media coverage until the playoffs start, which they have made 16 years in a row.

The Spurs are not boring. They just don't placate the media. And both the media and David Stern have been returning the favor.
Yea but the Spurs play a brand of basketball that isnt as aesthetic as other teams led by superstars. And the casual fan has a simplistic mindset whne it comes to games. They want to see storylines and hype surrounding the key players they know.

The spurs have not done everything right if they wanted to increase market share and popularity.

They have however done everything right to build a great basketball organization predicated on teamwork.

Teamwork doesnt sell shoe deals though. Little kids arent enamored nearly as much by great gameplanning and execution as they are by high flying dunks and flashy crossovers.

So, yes, it is a consumer market, and these companies are just giving the people what they already want.

They didnt make this shit up.. ever since Jordan everyone has wanted to vbe the 'superstar' and they gobble up all the shoes, and stories, and drama, and player comparisons. The money is in the players, not the teams.

Shepseskaf
05-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Stars drive ratings. Spurs-Grizz doesn't have any marketable stars.

CarlosBoozer
05-22-2013, 02:29 AM
This is stern's fault, can't even rig games properly :facepalm

reppy
05-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Why do people care about this? Not saying that OP does, but...

It's like making an argument for McDonald's having the best tasting burgers based on how many they sell each year.

Or arguing that some well-marketed "performer" that's in the top 100 is better than someone that isn't.

http://imgur.com/x3PsyEZ.jpg

jhuan16
05-22-2013, 02:40 AM
How can you blame the spurs, while warrior suck so bad didn't even put up a fight in the last two game. No wonder people are disinterest in that series.

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Why do people care about this? Not saying that OP does, but...

It's like making an argument for McDonald's having the best tasting burgers based on how many they sell each year.

Or arguing that some well-marketed "performer" that's in the top 100 is better than someone that isn't.

http://imgur.com/x3PsyEZ.jpg

I'm assuming it's because some people wish to see basketball prosper, and flourish into the most popular sport in America ? Because it's their favorite sport?

For one, I live in a city which doesn't have a basketball team... now if basketball suddenly became 10x more popular all across North America, I'm fairly certain my city would get a team. So ya, I'm always pleased when I hear about strong ratings.

unbreakable
05-22-2013, 02:48 AM

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

reppy
05-22-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm assuming it's because some people wish to see basketball prosper, and flourish into the most popular sport in America ? Because it's their favorite sport?

For one, I live in a city which doesn't have a basketball team... now if basketball suddenly became 10x more popular all across North America, I'm fairly certain my city would get a team. So ya, I'm always pleased when I hear about strong ratings.

I want to see the best teams play, irrespective of their market.

The ratings in this series has a lot to do with the market. If they were flashier, ratings would probably be a little bit higher. But nothing like a Lakers-Knicks Finals, which would have amazing ratings even if both of the teams stunk.

I want to see basketball flourish as well.. but I want to see good, team oriented basketball flourish. In my opinion, both the Grizzlies and the Spurs play some fine team basketball.

tomtucker
05-22-2013, 03:06 AM
nobody likes to watch flopping euroscum........:applause:

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 03:09 AM
I want to see the best teams play, irrespective of their market.

The ratings in this series has a lot to do with the market. If they were flashier, ratings would probably be a little bit higher. But nothing like a Lakers-Knicks Finals, which would have amazing ratings even if both of the teams stunk.

I want to see basketball flourish as well.. but I want to see good, team oriented basketball flourish. In my opinion, both the Grizzlies and the Spurs play some fine team basketball.

I take it your city already has a team... we're not all as fortunate :cry:

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 03:12 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Try quoting me in full next time... Oh wait, that wouldn't have provided you the opportunity of using a facepalm emoticon. I'm starting to get this forum !

SacJB Shady
05-22-2013, 03:16 AM

Play flashy team ball

Nevaeh
05-22-2013, 03:23 AM

Or maybe the media could, you know, talk about the guys who are actually still playing in the Playoffs, and not jag off to guys who already got bounced? because, you know, they're still playing and all?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/confusedshrug.gif

The sh!t aint rocket science, really....

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 03:29 AM
Or maybe the media could, you know, talk about the guys who are actually still playing in the Playoffs, and not jag off to guys who already got bounced? because, you know, they're still playing and all?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/confusedshrug.gif

The sh!t aint rocket science, really....

You've sadly overlooked the fact that the media gives people what they want... just look at this forum. 50% of it is comprised of Kobe or Lebron talk. And were talking about a basketball forum! This isn't even mainstream... mainstream is MORE diluted than this forum.

If talking about Kobe's asshair gets higher ratings than breaking down the Spurs-Grizzlies matchups, then that is exactly what ''the media'' will discuss...

reppy
05-22-2013, 03:34 AM
I take it your city already has a team... we're not all as fortunate :cry:

The talent pool is already pretty diluted. Adding even more teams isn't going to help make the NBA a better product. If you really want basketball to be better, you should support contraction instead of expansion.

Nevaeh
05-22-2013, 03:42 AM
You've sadly overlooked the fact that the media gives people what they want... just look at this forum. 50% of it is comprised of Kobe or Lebron talk. And were talking about a basketball forum! This isn't even mainstream... mainstream is MORE diluted than this forum.

If talking about Kobe's asshair gets higher ratings than breaking down the Spurs-Grizzlies matchups, then that is exactly what ''the media'' will discuss...

Which was my point. These guys are only brought up because that's all the media talks about. Peeps on here bring these guys up, because they're basically "echos" of the sh@t that they see on TV constantly. If the media wanted to promote the "league" and not just isolated "stars", they can do it quite easily.

Leftimage
05-22-2013, 03:44 AM
The talent pool is already pretty diluted. Adding even more teams isn't going to help make the NBA a better product. If you really want basketball to be better, you should support contraction instead of expansion.

Here's a quick glimpse into the rationale of a person who's city doesn't have a team.

I want a team to cheer on, **** everything else.

If your team were up for ''contraction'' I would hope you'd have the same selfish reflex.

Wonder Bread Kid
05-22-2013, 04:44 AM

coin24
05-22-2013, 05:06 AM
Blame ESPN and what they've done to the game.
Most casual fans only care about Kobe vs LeBron and shit like that.
The reason last years finals drew such great ratings is because half the people were "heat fans" and the other half were hoping for another choke job from LeBron...

Casual fans want to see superstars and flashy plays, not the Bulls DLeague team or the Bucks scrubs. Definitely not the Hawks Grizzlies etc...
Could also blame all the injuries etc, but this years playoffs have been a letdown overall... Can you imagine if the Pacers pull off a miracle and beat the Heat? Pacers vs Grizz or Spurs is the NBAs worst nightmare:lol

I hate the superteam cHeat and all that bullshit, but its probably the only thing making the NBA watchable right now to most people..

Clutch
05-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Blame ESPN and what they've done to the game.
Most casual fans only care about Kobe vs LeBron and shit like that.
The reason last years finals drew such great ratings is because half the people were "heat fans" and the other half were hoping for another choke job from LeBron...

Casual fans want to see superstars and flashy plays, not the Bulls DLeague team or the Bucks scrubs. Definitely not the Hawks Grizzlies etc...
Could also blame all the injuries etc, but this years playoffs have been a letdown overall... Can you imagine if the Pacers pull off a miracle and beat the Heat? Pacers vs Grizz or Spurs is the NBAs worst nightmare:lol

I hate the superteam cHeat and all that bullshit, but its probably the only thing making the NBA watchable right now to most people..
this :applause:

monkeypox
05-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Lol at all the elitists on this board. Like they're jumping out of their seats yelling "wow great back cut!" Most people don't even know enough to tell the difference between the footwork of LeBron vs someone like Pierce. You guys really think if the Spurs were an entertaining team that ESPN would just ignore them and lose out on all the ratings they would get?

They cover what people want to watch. The only reason why they wouldn't do that is if a different network had exclusive rights to a given team. Then maybe they'd pull time in sports center. But even then if that's the news people want to see then they'll look elsewhere to get it. Fox is about to launch their official counterstrike against ESPN this year with their own version of sports center. It means even more for them now to focus on what fans want.

Clutch
05-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Lol at all the elitists on this board. Like they're jumping out of their seats yelling "wow great back cut!" Most people don't even know enough to tell the difference between the footwork of LeBron vs someone like Pierce. You guys really think if the Spurs were an entertaining team that ESPN would just ignore them and lose out on all the ratings they would get?

They cover what people want to watch. The only reason why they wouldn't do that is if a different network had exclusive rights to a given team. Then maybe they'd pull time in sports center. But even then if that's the news people want to see then they'll look elsewhere to get it. Fox is about to launch their official counterstrike against ESPN this year with their own version of sports center. It means even more for them now to focus on what fans want.
This cracked me up :roll: :roll: :roll:

bdreason
05-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Who cares what casual fans want to watch? It's not like the NBA is in desperate shape.

Nero Tulip
05-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Who cares what casual fans want to watch? It's not like the NBA is in desperate shape.

Exactly. Does the NBA making more money means they will have a better product? If anything, there's too much money in sports.

STATUTORY
05-22-2013, 07:09 AM
not surprised at all.

Everyone I know is taking a sabbatical from the NBA this year after kobe went down. the sport is in trouble

stephanieg
05-22-2013, 07:30 AM
2fundamental4me

BoutPractice
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Personally, great back cuts make me jump out of my seat.

I'm also not sure that ESPN and other sports networks cover what people want to watch. The interactions are more complex than that: they cover what they think people want to watch, which in turns makes them accustomed to watching it, which makes them want to watch it.

fpliii
05-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Ugh, casual fans... :facepalm

Either way though, the NBA is very healthy. Basketball's the 2 sport in the USA behind football by a fair margin, and you gotta figure it's up there with anything else (soccer aside, though maybe cricket's ahead a well) worldwide.

JohnnySic
05-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Good. Pacers vs Spurs/Grizz please. Fock Stern, fock ESPN, and fock the casual fans.

Junker
05-22-2013, 09:09 AM

That is a very concerning tendency I just can't understand why people don't like SA basketball when it is one of the purest in the NBA nowadays:confusedshrug:

Sarcastic
05-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Actually the NBA cares alot. They have a new TV deal coming in a few years, and they need to show growth to get a bigger deal than last time.

Jon_Koncak
05-22-2013, 09:36 AM
And what is NBA supposed to do?Rig the results so that popular teams/big stars go into finals every year and ratings are higher?Besides Spurs werent playing by themselves,Warriors are a young and exciting team featuring a potential superstar.If casual fans cant appreciate Spurs bball or Stephen Curry's greatness then just screw them.

Just2McFly
05-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Good. Pacers vs Spurs/Grizz please. Fock Stern, fock ESPN, and fock the casual fans.
Stop being pathetic. To me the Spurs are boring and how many moving screens can they get away with? Sheesh.

The Griz are cool tho

SsKSpurs21
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
then why do fans and the league bitch and cry when we sit our players out of games?

:biggums:

BuffaloBill
05-22-2013, 10:58 AM

This. Only **** care about ratings

All Net
05-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Goldrush25
05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Which was my point. These guys are only brought up because that's all the media talks about. Peeps on here bring these guys up, because they're basically "echos" of the sh@t that they see on TV constantly. If the media wanted to promote the "league" and not just isolated "stars", they can do it quite easily.

No, you're confusing the cause and effect relationship here. The media isn't telling people what to like, they're reacting to what people want.

imdaman99
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
This

hitmanyr2k
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
If you're a fan of basketball how can you not like to watch the Spurs play? You get it all...great defense, ball movement that makes everyone a threat, inside game with Duncan, outside game with Leonard, Green, and Ginobili, one on one play, acrobatic shots and precision passing with Parker and Ginobili, young upstarts in Leonard and Green getting their chance to shine, and a very likeable coach in Popovich. I like to watch them play more than any other team right now.

I still go back and watch Game 2 of the 2005 Finals every once in awhile because that Spurs team put on a clinic of how to run an offense in that particular game.

Shepseskaf
05-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Some people simply don't find the Spurs fun to watch. I'm not the only one who wishes the Warriors had advanced.

StocktonFan
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
then why do fans and the league bitch and cry when we sit our players out of games?

:biggums:

Because there are fans who pay a premium price to watch a game... why should they be jipp'd out of what should have been a good game?

ralph_i_el
05-22-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm trying to help but since it's summer the trees are in bloom. The branches have blocked my satellite dish until it gets moved on sunday

yeah...that's my excuse

Goldrush25
05-22-2013, 03:44 PM

Casual fans fill up the arenas. Casual fans pay for the skybox suites. Casual fans buy a ton more apparel in absolute numbers than do hardcore fans, and they have the most discretionary income. Casual fans drive all professional sports. The NBA would be on at 12 PM Friday nights on ESPN2 if it weren't for casual fans.

Anything that sells in the US is marketed towards the masses, the segment of the population that can live without the product, not the minority hardcore patron that's going to patronize the business regardless.

Same reason why presidential candidates campaign in swing states. Why would they campaign to people who already support them?

jzek
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Boring team is boring.

monkeypox
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Personally, great back cuts make me jump out of my seat.

I'm also not sure that ESPN and other sports networks cover what people want to watch. The interactions are more complex than that: they cover what they think people want to watch, which in turns makes them accustomed to watching it, which makes them want to watch it.

Yeah you and one other guy in the world that isn't a coach does that. Because honestly there's nothing exciting about a good back cut in itself. Also you're probably getting pretty tired if something that simple makes you jump out of your chair since that can happen several times during a play as the pg just dribbles I honestly find it hard to believe anyone actually gets excited about regular fundamental basketball. appreciation? yes, excitement?.... I doubt it.

tikay0
05-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Edit: Goldrush perfectly shows my viewpoint.

Ah nah, I was agreeing with you. Guess it just came out wrong. My bad. :cheers:

tpols
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
That's like a company that has the opportunity to expand/grow saying.. Fvck it we already make enough money let's just sit on what we got.

seanclayton
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Anyone liking the spurs are also fans of floppers. :facepalm That flopping team is a disgrace to the game.

flipogb
05-22-2013, 08:10 PM
their players outside the big 3 are boring scrubs

SIRI1
05-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz
Game 1 of Heat-Pacers had 8.2 million viewers nationally on TNT - dwarfing 1st two games of Western Finals(averaged 4.7 million on ABC/ESPN)

rmt
05-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Because there are fans who pay a premium price to watch a game... why should they be jipp'd out of what should have been a good game?

Funny thing is that the game vs Spurs scrubs was better and more competitive than the previous 2 years vs Spurs stars (two 30 pt blowouts). I was there for all 3. Playing the stars doesn't guarantee a good game.

theBIGjabroni
05-23-2013, 05:34 PM
spurs are boring as fu.ck and not cause of how they play.

rmt
05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
spurs are boring as fu.ck and not cause of how they play.

I guess they're boring if you don't want to see penetration, drive and kick, exquisite passing, great team work, 3pt shooting. You probably hate seeing Parker on a one-man fast break, Manu's circus passes, the high-lows between Duncan/Splitter/Diaw, being lit up from 3pt land.

You'd rather see that abomination of defense put on by LAL in the 1st round and whatever-you-call-offense that D'Antoni has them playing. Or best of all, the ball-hogging, iso play of Kobe trip after trip after trip... Can't decide if I wish DH on you guys or not. It's either you're stranded with no way to replace him or you're stuck with him for $$$$$ and hearing LAL fans complain about his lack of post moves, getting stripped, free-throw shooting, smiling.

DonDadda59
05-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Casual fans want hot-dogging, shakin n' bakin, and hero ball. They have no time for great, non selfish, beautiful basketball.

I know the NBA is praying we don't get a Pacers-Spurs or Pacers-Grizzlies finals :oldlol: