PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers could deal top pick

thabisyo
05-22-2013, 05:21 AM
It's been 20 years since the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft was traded, when the Orlando Magic moved Chris Webber, but it's possible that streak could end this year.

The Cleveland Cavaliers, who scored the top pick at Tuesday night's draft lottery, will be willing to listen to trade offers for it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9300487/cleveland-cavaliers-open-trading-top-pick-nba-draft

:roll:

All cleveland needs is a small forward to average 27 8 7, anything else wont save that joke of a franchise

Beatlezz
05-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Mitch, you know what to do. :bowdown:

maybeshewill13
05-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Mitch, you know what to do. :bowdown:
No Pau is not worth that pick :lol

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 05:42 AM
Oh, "could" they deal the top pick. Yeah, they could, but they won't. They'd be stupid not to listen to all offers.

At the end of the day, Noel will be the pick and he'll be in Cleveland.

Beatlezz
05-22-2013, 05:44 AM

:mad: :cry:

jaydacris
05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
raps would gladly offer a package involving one of the best italian players of all time, Bargnani for 1st pick + filler.

fiddy
05-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Dont underestimate Mitch's abilities as a GM.

RoundMoundOfReb
05-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Kyrie
Dwait
Lebron
floor spacing pf
Noel

= Dynasty

maybeshewill13
05-22-2013, 06:20 AM
:mad: :cry:
Naww :(

Kews1
05-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Perkins for the 1st pick. Im calling it.

maybeshewill13
05-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Perkins for the 1st pick. Im calling it.
Get it done Presti!

Burgz V2
05-22-2013, 08:02 AM
They should pick McLemore and squeeze the life out of whichever team is desperate to get him. I guarantee those teams exist.

BankShot
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking the Cavs have had their sights set on Porter Jr. as a low-usage dynamic SF to fit in nicely to the core they already have, and they weren't expecting to be drafting too high to realistically select him.

With Washington moving up to the #3 pick.... which is a better spot for Porter.... and having a need for a young big, I wouldn't be surprised if they can work something out.

#1 (Noel) for #3 (Porter) and Seraphin/Singleton/2nd Rounder???

GOBB
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
I dont know why fans act like the #1 pick in this draft class is some special pick. Noel isnt even on Anthony Davis level. He's coming off a knee injury and will miss time.

toneloc103
05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm thinking the Cavs have had their sights set on Porter Jr. as a low-usage dynamic SF to fit in nicely to the core they already have, and they weren't expecting to be drafting too high to realistically select him.

With Washington moving up to the #3 pick.... which is a better spot for Porter.... and having a need for a young big, I wouldn't be surprised if they can work something out.

hmmm i just dont think that package is worth the #1 pick

DuMa
05-22-2013, 12:30 PM
yeah good luck getting value for that pick. theres no clear cut #1 whatsoever. its so wide open.

DukeDelonte13
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
no team will be willing to trade up for 1. Cavs should just take who they want, if its Noel, so be it, if its porter, so be it.

Shade8780
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akWd2g2TP1U&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Damn, even Carmelo thinks it's rigged :lol :lol

DuMa
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akWd2g2TP1U&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Damn, even Carmelo thinks it's rigged :lol :lol

lmao and why is lebron wearing a headband during an interview :lol

jzek
05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Only draft in history where the #1 pick has "career backup" written all over him :oldlol:

jzek
05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
why is lebron wearing a headband during an interview :lol

Black people :facepalm

Kingwillball
05-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Ummm because he was in HS there..:confusedshrug:

NattyPButter
05-22-2013, 01:26 PM

are you serious? He just signed a Nike endorsement deal so he's going to wear their stuff to advertise:banghead: .

astroboy2k5
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Trade idea:

Cleveland Trades:
1st Overall pick

Utah Trades:
Favors
Future 1st rounder

I think this works for both teams

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Really have no interest in that package outside of the #3 pick and the Cavs already have four picks within the first 32. They are trying to accrue less picks, not more. I'm almost certain they'll pull something off similar to last year, where they took both of their early 2nds and moved up with their other 1st round pick (it is currently No. 19).

Also, Washington really needs a SF. I'm sure they have their sights on Porter now.

The other thing is, this worked out just about perfectly for the Cavs with the way they've drafted the last couple years. They passed on Valanciunas for Thompson in 2011 and Drummond slipped past last year. Those were two shots at two pretty nice looking big men.

However, by doing that, it allowed them to address other needs. I do not see them allowing another elite center prospect (which I think Noel is) to slip through their fingers. It is a no-brainer pick and it would take a dynamic offer to pry it away from them, I think.

Now that Grant & Co. knows they'll have anyone they want in this draft, they'll focus in on studying Noel and I think they'll like what they see. No 18-year-old was ever a finished product and of course this is all assuming he passes the medical with flying colors and they're sure about his knee. All of that not withstanding, this is a very easy pick.

I'd also caution people not to listen to what is coming out of Cavs' headquarters. No one had any idea the Waiters or Thompson picks were coming and even when we had the No. 1 pick in 2011, Kyrie said he didn't know he was the pick until they called his name. There were rumors about other guys and trades back then, too.

Noel will be in Cleveland.

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 02:12 PM
yeah good luck getting value for that pick. theres no clear cut #1 whatsoever. its so wide open.

Only draft in history where the #1 pick has "career backup" written all over him :oldlol:

When was the last draft that people said this stuff about? Oh yeah, the last time we had the No. 1 pick.

"Irving will be a role player at best."

"Irving is unproven. Just 11 games in college!"

"Cavs should take Derrick Williams. He's more of a sure-thing."

etc.

I'm just saying... these threads don't go away after the draft. A lot of people looked really silly after Irving actually stepped on an NBA floor. I'd proceed with caution.

brandonislegend
05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Really have no interest in that package outside of the #3 pick and the Cavs already have four picks within the first 32. They are trying to accrue less picks, not more. I'm almost certain they'll pull something off similar to last year, where they took both of their early 2nds and moved up with their other 1st round pick (it is currently No. 19).

Also, Washington really needs a SF. I'm sure they have their sights on Porter now.

The other thing is, this worked out just about perfectly for the Cavs with the way they've drafted the last couple years. They passed on Valanciunas for Thompson in 2011 and Drummond slipped past last year. Those were two shots at two pretty nice looking big men.

However, by doing that, it allowed them to address other needs. I do not see them allowing another elite center prospect (which I think Noel is) to slip through their fingers. It is a no-brainer pick and it would take a dynamic offer to pry it away from them, I think.

Now that Grant & Co. knows they'll have anyone they want in this draft, they'll focus in on studying Noel and I think they'll like what they see. No 18-year-old was ever a finished product and of course this is all assuming he passes the medical with flying colors and they're sure about his knee. All of that not withstanding, this is a very easy pick.

I'd also caution people not to listen to what is coming out of Cavs' headquarters. No one had any idea the Waiters or Thompson picks were coming and even when we had the No. 1 pick in 2011, Kyrie said he didn't know he was the pick until they called his name. There were rumors about other guys and trades back then, too.

Noel will be in Cleveland.

Just curious what do you see in Noel, looks like a busy to me Yea he blocked shots but so did thabeet seems like noel has no offensive game at all.

Rekindled
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Gee+Varejao+Thompson+no.1 pick for Aldridge+Batum+blazer pick

hawkfan
05-22-2013, 02:15 PM
3 time winners of the NBA lottery? Damn Cleveland.

Hotlantadude81
05-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe resigned Josh Smith + 18th and 19th picks? I don't know....

Rekindled
05-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe resigned Josh Smith + 18th and 19th picks? I don't know....

why, they already have PF, plus if they really want Smith they can just sign him

Hotlantadude81
05-22-2013, 02:19 PM
why, they already have PF, plus if they really want Smith they can just sign him

Dude can still get the most money from the Hawks? That could be a reason.

The Real JW
05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Dwight for pick + Waiters + Zeller

Rekindled
05-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Dude can still get the most money from the Hawks? That could be a reason.

sign and trade in the new cba wouldnt allow you to give him more money anymore....

StocktonFan
05-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Varajao + 1st for dwight

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Just curious what do you see in Noel, looks like a busy to me Yea he blocked shots but so did thabeet seems like noel has no offensive game at all.
Like I said, the kid was 18 all season for Kentucky. He just turned 19. He is still a baby in basketball terms.

What I see is an incredibly long shot-blocking big with elite athleticism. That is a pretty rare combination. I think if he could have taken part in the combine, you may feel slightly different after seeing his vert and the way he moves, while having a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 9-foot-2 standing reach (both very high numbers).

I'm not seeing the Thabeet comparisons at all. Sure, he had the crazy length, but not the natural athleticism. He spent three years at UConn and it took until he was 21 before his collegiate numbers approached what Noel did as an 18-year-old freshman.

Noel averaged 11 points on just under 60% FG, 10 rebounds, 4.5 blocks and 2.1 steals per game... And he was just starting to "get it" when the injury happened.

You don't want to overthink this if you're the Cavs. Noel was the clear No. 1 player coming out of high school last year. He was the consensus No. 1 pick all college season up until his injury. His skillset is a major need for the Cavs, who've been lacking a major defensive presence around the rim.

It's a no-brainer, imo.

His offensive game is a work in progress, but he's an elite level natural athlete. He moves around the court very smoothly and actually has an underrated face-up/isolation game with a pretty explosive first step. He's also great at finishing around the rim with either hand and he's great at running the floor for his size.

No, he isn't schooled in the post and he has no jumpshot, but how complete are we expecting a guy this young to be? He has the physical tools in a league lacking in elite athleticism at the 5. I see potential for an elite defensive center and you just can't pass on that considering the other options.

Mass Debator
05-22-2013, 02:32 PM
1st pick + Varejao for Wade. Then sign Al Jefferson and Dorell Wright/Brewer :bowdown:

Kyrie/Livingston
Wade/Waiters/Ellington
Wright/Gee/Miles
Thompson/Speights
Jefferson/Zeller

That depth!!

Dreaming though.

Rekindled
05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
name me one nba player who tore his acl then came back as good as before.

brandonislegend
05-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Like I said, the kid was 18 all season for Kentucky. He just turned 19. He is still a baby in basketball terms.

What I see is an incredibly long shot-blocking big with elite athleticism. That is a pretty rare combination. I think if he could have taken part in the combine, you may feel slightly different after seeing his vert and the way he moves, while having a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 9-foot-2 standing reach (both very high numbers).

I'm not seeing the Thabeet comparisons at all. Sure, he had the crazy length, but not the natural athleticism. He spent three years at UConn and it took until he was 21 before his collegiate numbers approached what Noel did as an 18-year-old freshman.

Noel averaged 11 points on just under 60% FG, 10 rebounds, 4.5 blocks and 2.1 steals per game... And he was just starting to "get it" when the injury happened.

You don't want to overthink this if you're the Cavs. Noel was the clear No. 1 player coming out of high school last year. He was the consensus No. 1 pick all college season up until his injury. His skillset is a major need for the Cavs, who've been lacking a major defensive presence around the rim.

It's a no-brainer, imo.

His offensive game is a work in progress, but he's an elite level natural athlete. He moves around the court very smoothly and actually has an underrated face-up/isolation game with a pretty explosive first step. He's also great at finishing around the rim with either hand.

No, he isn't schooled in the post and he has no jumpshot, but how complete are we expecting a guy this young to be? He has the physical tools in a league lacking in elite athleticism at the 5.

I would expect a player to have some offense game as the number 1 pick, its the number 1 pick for gosh sake.

The Real JW
05-22-2013, 02:36 PM

What's Rose got to do with it?

brandonislegend
05-22-2013, 02:37 PM
What's Rose got to do with it?

He said come back from, Rose never coming back.

GOBB
05-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Baron Davis

WeGetRing2012
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Because he was getting paid millions by Nike to wear it

WeGetRing2012
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Black people :facepalm

White people :facepalm

Darkess
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
3 time winners of the NBA lottery? Damn Cleveland.

It takes a very special kind of team organization to do this.

And by "special", I mean bad. Really, really, really bad.

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
I would expect a player to have some offense game as the number 1 pick, its the number 1 pick for gosh sake.
Someone posted this on RCF as the reason the Cavs will take Noel and not think twice. In a league obsessed with offense, having an elite rim-protector is hugely important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HX0Ezb-OPE

He isn't as bad offensively as some people are making it out to be. His length and natural athleticism alone make him a great target around the rim for lobs and putbacks... Along with being able to get out and run the floor, which is a good match with our other young guys (Kyrie, Waiters, Thompson and Zeller all move extremely well on the break).

If he was THAT deficient offensively, he wouldn't have averaged 11 points on 60% from the floor as an 18-year-old. You brought up Thabeet... For comparisons sake, playing almost exactly the same amount of minutes and being a full year+ older as a freshman, he averaged 6 points a game on lower efficiency.

I think you're vastly underrating him.

DukeDelonte13
05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Someone posted this on RCF as the reason the Cavs will take Noel and not think twice. In a league obsessed with offense, having an elite rim-protector is hugely important.

He isn't as bad offensively as some people are making it out to be. His length and natural athleticism alone make him a great target around the rim for lobs and putbacks... Along with being able to get out and run the floor, which is a good match with our other young guys (Kyrie, Waiters, Thompson and Zeller all move extremely well on the break).

If he was THAT deficient offensively, he wouldn't have averaged 11 points on 60% from the floor as an 18-year-old. You brought up Thabeet... For comparisons sake, playing almost exactly the same amount of minutes and being a full year+ older as a freshman, he averaged 6 points a game on lower efficiency.

If the cavs coaching staff can get the type of offensive improvements that TT showed last year no reason why Nerlens can't improve as well. TT came out more raw. The question is does Noel have the work ethic and desire that TT has?

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 03:11 PM
If the cavs coaching staff can get the type of offensive improvements that TT showed last year no reason why Nerlens can't improve as well. TT came out more raw. The question is does Noel have the work ethic and desire that TT has?
Very good point. And, yes, Tristan did come out more raw than Noel is now. That said, Tristan has an insane work ethic and Noel would have a hard time matching it... But, having Tristan around hopefully would rub off on Noel.

I've heard the same thing about Dion, btw... Total gym rat.

Overdrive
05-22-2013, 05:56 PM

It's a no-brainer, imo.

His offensive game is a work in progress, but he's an elite level natural athlete. He moves around the court very smoothly and actually has an underrated face-up/isolation game with a pretty explosive first step. He's also great at finishing around the rim with either hand and he's great at running the floor for his size.

No, he isn't schooled in the post and he has no jumpshot, but how complete are we expecting a guy this young to be? He has the physical tools in a league lacking in elite athleticism at the 5. I see potential for an elite defensive center and you just can't pass on that considering the other options.

You forgot the part where he tore his ACL after posting those numbers based on his elite athleticism.

His wingspan and reach are still impressive but that injury might hinder him from developing as a player for years to come. And raw bigs take alot of time anyway.

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
You forgot the part where he tore his ACL after posting those numbers based on his elite athleticism.

His wingspan and reach are still impressive but that injury might hinder him from developing as a player for years to come. And raw bigs take alot of time anyway.
I haven't forgotten, trust me. Everything is contingent on the Cavs and their medical staff doing their due diligence and being sure this knee isn't going to have a longterm impact. That is first and foremost.

LBJMVP
05-22-2013, 06:19 PM
It takes a very special kind of team organization to do this.

And by "special", I mean bad. Really, really, really bad.

cleveland is historically a very good team.

chips93
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I've heard the same thing about Dion, btw... Total gym rat.

where do you hear these things about the cavs? just word of mouth, or are there people on twitter?

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
where do you hear these things about the cavs? just word of mouth, or are there people on twitter?
It's been all over the place in "Cavs Nation," so to speak. Dion's even posted about it on Twitter himself and it has been confirmed by people inside the organization.

Here's a video of one of his workouts...

http://www.fearthesword.com/2013/5/17/4341030/dion-waiters-workout-video-cleveland-cavaliers

Waiters has the reputation of being a gym rat and a tireless worker. When you talk to him, he clearly wants to be the best player on the court every single night. Watch this video and look how awesome he looks. First of all, it's great that he's working so hard during the offseason. Obviously, all NBA players are working out during the summer -- but Dion looks like he's in tremendous shape. He's got a big body, but he looks downright sculpted in this video. Furthermore, his shot looks solid. He recently did a great interview on 92.3 in Cleveland and spoke a little bit about what he was working on during the offseason. One of the major points that he mentioned was his balance. I know it's just a workout video (and they only show the shots that he makes), but his balance looks so much better. He isn't fading away on every jumper and he appears to be gathering the ball a lot smoother than he had previously. If this keeps up and translates to Summer League, I'll do a further breakdown on his shot last year vs. what it looks like now.

chips93
05-22-2013, 08:23 PM
yeah id seen that workout video a couple days ago. tbh i dont really get the fuss. hes not fading as much, but will he fall back into old habits when he actually has an nba defender in his face as hes shooting? and those ball handling drills were pretty basic. he does seem to be working up a good sweat though.

its probably foolish to read too much into it though, positive or negative.

RedBlackAttack
05-22-2013, 08:31 PM
yeah id seen that workout video a couple days ago. tbh i dont really get the fuss. hes not fading as much, but will he fall back into old habits when he actually has an nba defender in his face as hes shooting? and those ball handling drills were pretty basic. he does seem to be working up a good sweat though.

its probably foolish to read too much into it though, positive or negative.

Not basing everything on the video, but it does back up what I've been hearing from a lot of people, both fans and media.

I think the really encouraging thing about the video is he looks to be in tremendous shape. You look at a picture of him during last year's offseason and this year's offseason... Looks like a different guy.

That's always a good sign.

chips93
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
I think the really encouraging thing about the video is he looks to be in tremendous shape. You look at a picture of him during last year's offseason and this year's offseason... Looks like a different guy.

yeah there is no denying that.when hes in shape as he appears to be in the video, he is a very physical looking guard, big strong chest, hopefully he can continue to learn how to use his strength advantage over other guards, more and more.

The JKidd Kid
05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
If I was a GM, I would stay as far away from Noel as possible. The guy is a bust waiting to happen. He had a history of knee injuries even before he tore his ACL and we all know how devastating knee injuries can be to a big man. You also have to question how these injuries will affect his athleticism in the future, which right now is his only upside. He is extremely raw offensively, has no way of scoring, outside of dunks and lay ups, and a non existent post game. Then you add in the fact that he weighs 205 pounds. That means that he will have to gain at least 35-40 pounds if he wants to be a decent post defender in this league. At 205 pounds, most SG's will have no problem backing him down in the post, like Joe Johnson, D Wade, Kobe heck even Deron Williams would be able to overpower him.

This means that not only is he a defensive liabilty because players can easily post him up, but he is also an offensive liability because of his raw game and the fact that his lack of strength will allow all positions from 2-4 to switch on to him in a mismatch situation, without extreme consequences. Add that to the fact that his only upside, his athleticism, is now compromised because of the ACL injury.

This guy is a bust waiting to happen, no team should even go near this kid.

chips93
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
If I was a GM, I would stay as far away from Noel as possible. The guy is a bust waiting to happen. He had a history of knee injuries even before he tore his ACL and we all know how devastating knee injuries can be to a big man.

wow really? never hear that before. got a link?

The JKidd Kid
05-22-2013, 10:13 PM
wow really? never hear that before. got a link?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/2/20/4007340/nerlens-noel-injury-kentucky

Who knows how his knee is going to hold up later in his career.

brandonislegend
05-22-2013, 10:49 PM

He is a clone of Larry Sanders.

Straight_Ballin
05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Kyrie
Dwait
Lebron
floor spacing pf
Noel

= Dynasty

And no one could say shit about it because Bron is an Ohio native and the rest were legitamite draft picks. Would be the first LEGIT super team in awhile.

MetsPackers
05-22-2013, 11:54 PM

Blake Griffin? That was an acl tear right?

RedBlackAttack
05-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Really? I'll take that challenge.

Blake Griffin
Bonzi Wells
Al Harrington
Jamal Crawford
David West
Tony Allen
Nene
Iman Shumpert
Baron Davis
Al Jefferson
Kyle Lowry
Corey Brewer

Just to name a few that you've heard of. There's countless guys who've had these kinds of injuries and were maybe borderline NBA players or D-Leaguers able to come back and resume their careers.

It's 2012, not 1985. Adrian Peterson came back from a severe ACL tear and had the best season of his career last year and one of the best individual seasons in NFL history. I'm not saying the injury isn't a concern. I expect the Cavs will check him out and do all the things you'd expect in order to be comfortable with his knee going forward.

But, ACL tears are far from the catastrophic injuries they used to be.

buddha
05-23-2013, 04:42 AM
It's 2012, not 1985.

:facepalm

RedBlackAttack
05-23-2013, 04:58 AM
:facepalm
:roll:

What do you want from me? It's almost 5 a.m. here. Left/right handed.... 2012/13.

Whatever. You know what I mean.

ihatetimthomas
05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Really? I'll take that challenge.

Blake Griffin

I dont think Griffin ever tore his acl. In college he injured his MCL and had surgery to repair torn cartilage. His rookie season he had injured his patellar tendon and prior to Olympic, he tore his meniscus.

DukeDelonte13
05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
cavs can afford to take the risk with noel, whereas if the bobcats won i could see them passing up on him.