PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Bruce Lee?

bmd
05-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Many people think of him as the greatest fighter of all-time who could never be beaten.

What do you think?

fiddy
05-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Deep respect for him as a philosopher :bowdown:

HardwoodLegend
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
He had such an intense magnetism. I worshipped him as a god growing up and imitated him frequently.

Seeing him in a fighting stance with that piercing and penetrating gaze as he studies his opponent is still such a powerful image. I wish he had made more films and teamed up with Shaw Brothers Studios at some point.

No comment on his status as a legitimate fighter since I don't have the knowledge or information on that, but he was exciting to watch on screen and gave that illusion of invincibility off well with the powerful physique and lightning fast moves.

bmulls
05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
He was an actor

ClutchOver9000
05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
he was not the mythical fighter that so many claim him to be but he was absolutely a martial arts/fitness pioneer, an aspect of his which was balanced very well by his charm and skill in acting.

bagelred
05-24-2013, 01:06 PM
As far as fictional characters go, he was pretty cool.

daj0264
05-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Anderson Silva would kill him

tpols
05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Anderson Silva would kill him
In the same way stephon marbury could've destroyed bob cousy in a game of one on one.. Doesn't really mean much.

Rameek
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
he was not the mythical fighter that so many claim him to be but he was absolutely a martial arts/fitness pioneer, an aspect of his which was balanced very well by his charm and skill in acting.
I loved everything you said after "but".

How do you know he wasnt the fighter he claimed to be? How do you know he was a mythical fighter? Instead of Legendary fighter?

I believe that he was every bit the fighter claimed to be in China. He would have been exposed for being a fraud very easily!

HardwoodLegend
05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
In the same way stephon marbury could've destroyed bob cousy in a game of one on one.. Doesn't really mean much.

Bruce Lee was farther ahead of his time in his own discipline than Cousy was in his.

I see what you're getting at, but Lee vs. Silva would be a more contentious match-up since Bruce stacks up closer in terms of training and nutrition.

He was an actor

An actor with years of serious training and study behind him though.

He was a high caliber athlete.

nathanjizzle
05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
there was a thread on reddit about bruce lee, one redditor recounted his memory of bruce while he was being trained by someone close to bruce lee at a gym. bruce would go to that gym and teach or watch a few times.

the redditor told of how bruce had intense inner energy and presence, and his punches on the punching bag were deafening. so no, bruce isnt just a mythological legend he was the real deal. its like a tiger to a lion, why can a tiger always beat up on a lion when they are physically the same thing, because tigers have great fighting energy and spirit in them, bruces was off the charts.

Zan Tabak
05-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Bruce is an all time legend, on and off the screen.

But when it comes to martial arts movies Jackie Chan is even more of a legend imo. I admit this, even though I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan.

Brunch@Five
05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
A friend of mine who is into martial arts, has 3 black belts in tae-kwon-do told me that Bruce Lee was an insanely fit athlete, but his technique was supposedly not nearly up to his fitness level. He said that Jackie Chan had better technique.

Zan Tabak
05-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Bruce Lee really never had a chance to continue the martial arts movies though.
True, but it is what it is.

Rasheed1
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Deep respect for him as a philosopher :bowdown:

me too.. this is what I respect most about him. I have alot of his quotes in a book I keep. Wish I could have been lucky enough to meet and train under him when he was living.

Clyde
05-24-2013, 05:23 PM
A friend of mine who is into martial arts, has 3 black belts in tae-kwon-do told me that Bruce Lee was an insanely fit athlete, but his technique was supposedly not nearly up to his fitness level. He said that Jackie Chan had better technique.

Better technique? The man had his own fighting style, which people still follow today.

Your friends statement is so stupid I just crapped myself.

TheReal Kendall
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
I respected him growing up but I was more into the old school kung fu stuff as a youth. I didn't think he could beat guys like Gordon Liu and the others. He seemed like a good dude though.

millwad
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I respected him growing up but I was more into the old school kung fu stuff as a youth. I didn't think he could beat guys like Gordon Liu and the others. He seemed like a good dude though.

CAN I TOUCH PENIZ?

TheReal Kendall
05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
CAN I TOUCH PENIZ?

Please ban this guy

9erempiree
05-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Without Bruce Lee, there would be no MMA.

Yes, he would kick everyone's butt if he was alive. He would be the inventor of MMA and everyone would be noobs.

Nobody would beat him to be honest, if was still alive. Heck, when he was alive nobody was even doing MMA.

The Real JW
05-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Jet Li > Bruce Lee > Jackie Chan

bmd
05-24-2013, 06:54 PM
there was a thread on reddit about bruce lee, one redditor recounted his memory of bruce while he was being trained by someone close to bruce lee at a gym. bruce would go to that gym and teach or watch a few times.

the redditor told of how bruce had intense inner energy and presence, and his punches on the punching bag were deafening. so no, bruce isnt just a mythological legend he was the real deal. its like a tiger to a lion, why can a tiger always beat up on a lion when they are physically the same thing, because tigers have great fighting energy and spirit in them, bruces was off the charts.Have you seen Bruce hitting the bag? He looks like an amateur. Type into YouTube "Bruce lee punching bag".

bmd
05-24-2013, 06:56 PM
I loved everything you said after "but".

How do you know he wasnt the fighter he claimed to be? How do you know he was a mythical fighter? Instead of Legendary fighter?

I believe that he was every bit the fighter claimed to be in China. He would have been exposed for being a fraud very easily!
Because there is no proof of him ever fighting. And the few stories that are out there were against bums... not fighters.

bmd
05-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Better technique? The man had his own fighting style, which people still follow today.

Your friends statement is so stupid I just crapped myself.That may impress people outside of the martial arts world, but plenty of people have their own fighting style. It's very common for a gym owner to teach his own "style".

JEFFERSON MONEY
05-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Very well rounded individual.

However in terms of manhood, I still consider the following to be superior role models in matters of mind, body, spirit:
St. Augustine
Alciabades
Umar Ibn Al Khattab
St. Francis
Sherlock Holmes
Abe Lincoln
Thomas JEFFERSON
Sun Tzu
Dolph Lundgren

and a few others.

Athletically, the mix of low BF, power, technique, flexibility, and endurance was outstanding. A true testament to man's potential in the physical realm if he dedicates himself. It was interesting that he advocated royal jelly and crushed eggshells, seeing as how those are not heavily used in practice today.

Entertainment-wise, he was the sh!t too. Had a funny sense of humor, all around charismatic guy. I don't think he was quite as lovable as Pat Morita though.

Philosophically, the "be formless like water" was great. Daoism and Confucianism are slowly revealing their genius through the verification of Western rationality.

And what I love most is that sometime back in the 50's I believe he wrote a letter that said in a decade I'll make $10,000,000 and be the most memorable Asian-American actor or something... and his wish came true.

As for MMA fights, I have my doubts. I think even someone like Aldo could beat him ALTHOUGH I would LIKE to Believe Lee would wreck everybody today like Bird/Wilt would destroy James/Wade/Kobe.

Zan Tabak
05-24-2013, 08:14 PM
I keep reading these comments that Bruce would get destroyed by today's MMA stars. This is absolutely not true. Bruce was a student of martial arts and was always willing to learn and adapt to which ever style was/is the best(Be like water). With his brains and dedication to the Arts, Bruce probably would of been a champion.

bmd
05-24-2013, 09:51 PM

However in terms of manhood, I still consider the following to be superior role models in matters of mind, body, spirit:
St. Augustine
Alciabades
Umar Ibn Al Khattab
St. Francis
Sherlock Holmes
Abe Lincoln
Thomas JEFFERSON
Sun Tzu
Dolph Lundgren

and a few others.

Athletically, the mix of low BF, power, technique, flexibility, and endurance was outstanding. A true testament to man's potential in the physical realm if he dedicates himself. It was interesting that he advocated royal jelly and crushed eggshells, seeing as how those are not heavily used in practice today.

Entertainment-wise, he was the sh!t too. Had a funny sense of humor, all around charismatic guy. I don't think he was quite as lovable as Pat Morita though.

Philosophically, the "be formless like water" was great. Daoism and Confucianism are slowly revealing their genius through the verification of Western rationality.

And what I love most is that sometime back in the 50's I believe he wrote a letter that said in a decade I'll make $10,000,000 and be the most memorable Asian-American actor or something... and his wish came true.

As for MMA fights, I have my doubts. I think even someone like Aldo could beat him ALTHOUGH I would LIKE to Believe Lee would wreck everybody today like Bird/Wilt would destroy James/Wade/Kobe.Comparing Bruce Lee and Jose Aldo isn't like comparing past basketball players to now. Players in the past actually played basketball.

Jose Aldo is a professional fighter. He trains to actually fight and he spars full contact.

Bruce Lee did not fight like Aldo and he didn't spar full contact.

There is a limit to how good a fighter can be if they never truly practice full contact and fight for real... a lot.

Jose Aldo would destroy Bruce Lee. Aldo is a monster.

bmd
05-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I keep reading these comments that Bruce would get destroyed by today's MMA stars. This is absolutely not true. Bruce was a student of martial arts and was always willing to learn and adapt to which ever style was/is the best(Be like water). With his brains and dedication to the Arts, Bruce probably would of been a champion.Not true. There was full contact fighting when Bruce Lee was alive... but he didn't want to do it. American kickboxing champion Joe Lewis often tried to get Bruce to compete, but he refused. He wouldn't even spar with Lewis.

Bruce Lee purposely crafted an aura of invincibility about him without actually displaying his fighting skills. He didn't want to compete because he knew it would hurt his image and his movies wouldn't have been as popular.

Bruce's whole trademark was based off of being this mythical unbeatable fighter. It was an image.

BrooklynZoo
05-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Bruce Lee purposely crafted an aura of invincibility about him without actually displaying his fighting skills. He didn't want to compete because he knew it would hurt his image and his movies wouldn't have been as popular.

Much like Floyd... :oldlol: jkjk

HardwoodLegend
05-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Not true. There was full contact fighting when Bruce Lee was alive... but he didn't want to do it. American kickboxing champion Joe Lewis often tried to get Bruce to compete, but he refused. He wouldn't even spar with Lewis.

Bruce's whole trademark was based off of being this mythical unbeatable fighter. It was an image.

Was the challenge issued before or after Lee's movie career started?

Actors have incentive to not get into any serious fights once their star starts to rise. No matter how good Lee was, there's always risk for injury that could sidetrack a moviemaking career.

If Lee dedicated himself solely to training for professional fights, we'd see quite a beast emerge.

bmd
05-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Was the challenge issued before or after Lee's movie career started?

Actors have incentive to not get into any serious fights once their star starts to rise. No matter how good Lee was, there's always risk for injury that could sidetrack a moviemaking career.

If Lee dedicated himself solely to training for professional fights, we'd see quite a beast emerge.Bruce Lee was an actor since he was a little kid...

He was an actor before he even did martial arts.

And considering he supposedly got into fights on movie sets, your theory doesn't hold water.

HardwoodLegend
05-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Bruce Lee was an actor since he was a little kid...

He was an actor before he even did martial arts.

And considering he supposedly got into fights on movie sets, your theory doesn't hold water.

How do we know for a fact he got into all of those fights? All we've got is hearsay.

And, even if he did fight on set, doesn't mean he would continuously put himself in harm's way and take even more chances in professional settings.

Tempers flare on a set. It happens.

iamgine
05-25-2013, 12:08 AM
More actor than fighter.

Myth is bigger than the man.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:38 AM
How do we know for a fact he got into all of those fights? All we've got is hearsay.

And, even if he did fight on set, doesn't mean he would continuously put himself in harm's way and take even more chances in professional settings.

Tempers flare on a set. It happens.I agree with the first part. We don't know that any fights happened. It is his own friends who tell stories of his fights. It is my opinion that these fights either didn't happen or are greatly exaggerated to build the legend.

But supposedly he fought guys on sets who doubted his fighting ability... not because tempers flared. He supposedly even fought some random guy at a YMCA handball court who challenged him.

So apparently he isn't worried about fighting those who challenge him. Yet when he could truly prove his skills to the world, he turns down the opportunity.

He and his hype men perpetuated this mythical persona to help his acting career and his friends would piggy back off of his fame to help their own martial arts careers and boost their credibility.

Bruce Lee was not a fighter.

HarryCallahan
05-25-2013, 12:54 AM

St. Augustine
Alciabades
Umar Ibn Al Khattab
St. Francis
Sherlock Holmes
Abe Lincoln
Thomas JEFFERSON
Sun Tzu
Dolph Lundgren

and a few others.

As for MMA fights, I have my doubts. I think even someone like Aldo could beat him ALTHOUGH I would LIKE to Believe Lee would wreck everybody today like Bird/Wilt would destroy James/Wade/Kobe.

Abe Lincoln was a crazy, duplicitous, racist, lying, career politician, who had journalists killed for speaking out against his war. He was a p.o.s that doesn't deserve reverence.

BurningHammer
05-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Not true. There was full contact fighting when Bruce Lee was alive... but he didn't want to do it. American kickboxing champion Joe Lewis often tried to get Bruce to compete, but he refused. He wouldn't even spar with Lewis.

So you say he is Floyd Mayweather-ish. :D

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:57 AM
So you say he is Floyd Mayweather-ish. :DFloyd Mayweather actually gets in the ring and hasn't lost.

BurningHammer
05-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Abe Lincoln was a crazy, duplicitous, racist, lying, career politician, who had journalists killed for speaking out against his war. He was a p.o.s that doesn't deserve reverence.
To think of it, Abe could beat Bruce Lee with his dreaded chokeslam! :oldlol:

BurningHammer
05-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Floyd Mayweather actually gets in the ring and hasn't lost.
But he has been "hand-picked" his opponents to preserve his legacy to the extreme.

bmd
05-25-2013, 01:12 AM
But he has been "hand-picked" his opponents to preserve his legacy to the extreme.Who should he have fought that he didn't?

BrooklynZoo
05-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Who should he have fought that he didn't?

hmmmm

:coleman:

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 11:07 AM
All those MMA fighters that people mentioned that would beat up Bruce Lee, you have to remember those are sport fighters. They train to fight.

Bruce Lee trained himself to kill. He was not a sportsman. He trained for actual street fights and it was a lifestyle to Bruce. It's not fun and games like it is in the ring. These MMA fighters, fight for money, Bruce trained for survival.

In a cage, maybe the MMA fighter wins but my bet goes to Bruce.

In a street fight, 100% goes to Bruce.

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Put it this way. I would rather be in a cage versus Aldo than in a dark alley fighting Bruce Lee.

Most people will say this too. Put Bruce in a cage and you are limiting his full potential.

Put them on the streets and a 100% Bruce will kill, not destroy, beat, or win, we talking about murder a MMA fighter.

MMA fighters don't train with weapons or defend themselves from knives. Bruce with a pair of chuks would be murder.

bmd
05-25-2013, 11:34 AM
All those MMA fighters that people mentioned that would beat up Bruce Lee, you have to remember those are sport fighters. They train to fight.

Bruce Lee trained himself to kill. He was not a sportsman. He trained for actual street fights and it was a lifestyle to Bruce. It's not fun and games like it is in the ring. These MMA fighters, fight for money, Bruce trained for survival.

In a cage, maybe the MMA fighter wins but my bet goes to Bruce.

In a street fight, 100% goes to Bruce.That is another myth. He didn't train to kill. He believed in dirty techniques like groin shots... but that's hardly lethal.

You act like its easy to just kill someone with your bare hands.

"Trained to kill" is just a huge cliche.

You'd have to seriously kick someone's ass before you'd even be in a position to possibly kill somebody.

bmd
05-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Put it this way. I would rather be in a cage versus Aldo than in a dark alley fighting Bruce Lee.

Most people will say this too. Put Bruce in a cage and you are limiting his full potential.

Put them on the streets and a 100% Bruce will kill, not destroy, beat, or win, we talking about murder a MMA fighter.

MMA fighters don't train with weapons or defend themselves from knives. Bruce with a pair of chuks would be murder.That is the dumbest thing ever. If weapons are allowed, then while Bruce is swinging his nunchucks around, somebody can just pull out a gun and shoot him.

bmd
05-25-2013, 11:41 AM

MMA fighters don't train with weapons or defend themselves from knives. Bruce with a pair of chuks would be murder.Well of course you'd rather fight somebody in a cage so that the referee can save you. On the street, there is nobody to save you.

tpols
05-25-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't think you'd have to beat someone down to be in a position to kill them. What about military close combat tactics designed for quick removal. There are many very vulnerable points on the body that can be targeted that aren't allowed in MMA.. One quick throat jab would impair anybody.

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 11:44 AM
That is the dumbest thing ever. If weapons are allowed, then while Bruce is swinging his nunchucks around, somebody can just pull out a gun and shoot him.

gun?

:facepalm

By your logic, any training will suck, just pull the trigger.

I'm talking about your everyday street fighting weapon. Not a weapon that has a projectile. Hand weapons, weapons you actually have to learn and use.

It's a discipline to train with certain weapons.

bmd
05-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't think you'd have to beat someone down to be in a position to kill them. What about military close combat tactics designed for quick removal. There are many very vulnerable points on the body that can be targeted that aren't allowed in MMA.. One quick throat jab would impair anybody.Im saying you would already have to be in a dominant ground position to attack the throat.

You aren't going to hurt somebody with a throat jab from a standing position. Guess what? Throat shots are perfectly legal in the UFC.

The problem is that a shot to the throat doesn't incapacitate you like people think, and secondly, you fight with your chin down which makes it difficult to even land a throat shot in the first place.

Military combatives are actually.... MMA. Did you know that?

bmd
05-25-2013, 11:52 AM
gun?

By your logic, any training will suck, just pull the trigger.

I'm talking about your everyday street fighting weapon. Not a weapon that has a projectile. Hand weapons, weapons you actually have to learn and use.

It's a discipline to train with certain weapons.We don't live 1000 years ago in Japan.

There is no need for nunchucks :oldlol:

And yes, a gun is better than any training. How is that even a question?

"Yeah, nunchucks are allowed because Bruce Lee used them. But no a gun isn't because it's devastating to my argument". :roll:

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 11:52 AM
That is another myth. He didn't train to kill. He believed in dirty techniques like groin shots... but that's hardly lethal.

You act like its easy to just kill someone with your bare hands.

"Trained to kill" is just a huge cliche.

You'd have to seriously kick someone's ass before you'd even be in a position to possibly kill somebody.

The bolded statement alone proves that Bruce would beat a MMA fighter.

What is dirty to you is normal for Bruce. You can say poking eyes or biting or pulling of the hair is dirty but that's a striking point to them.

Like I said, MMA sport fighting has changed our views of what's dirty or not. You are probably a MMA fan, which is why you think it's dirty.

Where I think of fighting as anything goes and kicking in the groin is a natural thing for me.

tpols
05-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Im saying you would already have to be in a dominant ground position to attack the throat.

You aren't going to hurt somebody with a throat jab from a standing position. Guess what? Throat shots are perfectly legal in the UFC.

The problem is that a shot to the throat doesn't incapacitate you like people think, and secondly, you fight with your chin down which makes it difficult to even land a throat shot in the first place.

Military combatives are actually.... MMA. Did you know that?
Really? I've never seen a fighter go for a throat punch or chop.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:01 PM
The bolded statement alone proves that Bruce would beat a MMA fighter.

What is dirty to you is normal for Bruce. You can say poking eyes or biting or pulling of the hair is dirty but that's a striking point to them.

Like I said, MMA sport fighting has changed our views of what's dirty or not. You are probably a MMA fan, which is why you think it's dirty.

Where I think of fighting as anything goes and kicking in the groin is a natural thing for me.It has nothing to do with MMA. Shots to the groin has been considered dirty way before MMA came around.

But if you think somebody can beat the best MMA fighters in the world because they will bite, pull hair, or aim for the groin, you are extremely ignorant on fighting.

Fighting is all about position.

You also act like MMA fighters are completely oblivious to what fighting on the street is like. Most of them were fighting in the street before they were in the cage.

By the way, Jose Aldo used to fight in vale tudo. In Brazil, which is anything goes.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Really? I've never seen a fighter go for a throat punch or chop.You either aren't looking hard enough, or you haven't fought before. It happens pretty regularly when aiming for the chin and accidentally punch or kick the throat.

You probably don't notice because it doesn't phase fighters.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/721/572/silva_henderson_2-300x340_display_image.jpg?1297661799

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0205/mma_ufc_11_800.jpg

http://bdnpull.bangorpublishing.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/10031741_H8398689-600x478.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/792/460/61--sherdog_display_image.jpg?1355771937

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 12:13 PM
It has nothing to do with MMA. Shots to the groin has been considered dirty way before MMA came around.

But if you think somebody can beat the best MMA fighters in the world because they will bite, pull hair, or aim for the groin, you are extremely ignorant on fighting.

That's not what I am saying. With these so-called dirty tactics in the MMA world, combined with their training, yes, they will beat a MMA fighter.

Fighting is all about position.

You also act like MMA fighters are completely oblivious to what fighting on the street is like. Most of them were fighting in the street before they were in the cage.

I'm positively sure there are ones that fought in the streets before their discipline but most MMA fighters are former athletes. Like I said, MMA is a sport. These guys train for a couple of years and fight.

A real martial artist trained an entire lifetime. It's a discipline and lifestyle. It's not a sport. It is to discipline, you discipline yourself from fighting because of the deadly training you have received.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:17 PM
That's not what I am saying. With these so-called dirty tactics in the MMA world, combined with their training, yes, they will beat a MMA fighter.

I'm positively sure there are ones that fought in the streets before their discipline but most MMA fighters are former athletes. Like I said, MMA is a sport. These guys train for a couple of years and fight.

A real martial artist trained an entire lifetime. It's a discipline and lifestyle. It's not a sport. It is to discipline, you discipline yourself from fighting because of the deadly training you have received.That is 100% false. Nearly every single fighter in the UFC has trained their whole life.

"A real martial artist".

Are you saying fighters in the UFC aren't real martial artists?

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:21 PM
you discipline yourself from fighting because of the deadly training you have received.:roll:

Your knowledge of martial arts is amusing.

You have bought into the myths real bad.

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 12:26 PM
That is 100% false. Nearly every single fighter in the UFC has trained their whole life.

"A real martial artist".

Are you saying fighters in the UFC aren't real martial artists?

When a fighting league can make fighters out of guys like Brock Lesnar, former athlete, and Kimbo Slice, as believable fighers than you know it's a joke.

Don't get me wrong I love MMA but it's first and foremost a sport.

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 12:29 PM
:roll:

Your knowledge of martial arts is amusing.

You have bought into the myths real bad.

You have no clue or idea. Any form of martial arts training whether it's from a discipline or MMA sport-style, the instructor or master will tell you not to fight and avoid fighting. This has always been rule #1.

They are not there to train you and tell you to go pick fights. What they teach you can be lethal, the Gracie's don't even advise people to fight unless they have to.

You, of all people, a MMA fan, should know this.

Rule #1.

You think Silva would be fazed by a guy on the street that wants to fight him? He would walk away.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:29 PM
When a fighting league can make fighters out of guys like Brock Lesnar, former athlete, and Kimbo Slice, as believable fighers than you know it's a joke.

Don't get me wrong I love MMA but it's first and foremost a sport.Brock Lesnar was a champion NCAA wrestler. Wrestling is a martial art. He has done that his whole life.

Kimbo was a boxer. He was a gimmick though, I'll give you that.

But you purposely picked the exceptions to the rule.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:32 PM

You have no clue or idea. Any form of martial arts training whether it's from a discipline or MMA sport-style, the instructor or master will tell you not to fight and avoid fighting. This has always been rule #1.

They are not there to train you and tell you to go pick fights. What they teach you can be lethal, the Gracie's don't even advise people to fight unless they have to.

You, of all people, a MMA fan, should know this.

Rule #1.

You think Silva would be fazed by a guy on the street that wants to fight him? He would walk away.I'm referring to the "deadly training" part. You sound like Rex Kwon Do.

9erempiree
05-25-2013, 12:34 PM
One last thing here. I am a UFC fan too and I think most of the guys there are superb fighters. Sport or real life.

The only advantage these MMA fighters would have over a dojo, karate or any discipline's master is endurance and strength. Again, it's a sport so I expect MMA fighters to train that way.

Bruce Lee was way ahead of his time. He trained for endurance, speed and quickness in a time when it was unheard of. If he was to wake up one day and fight, do I think he's going to win in a cage, probably not.....

...but at the same time, if he knew who he was fighting and trained for it. Absolutely. He would destroy them in a cage.

bmd
05-25-2013, 12:42 PM
One last thing here. I am a UFC fan too and I think most of the guys there are superb fighters. Sport or real life.

The only advantage these MMA fighters would have over a dojo, karate or any discipline's master is endurance and strength. Again, it's a sport so I expect MMA fighters to train that way.

Bruce Lee was way ahead of his time. He trained for endurance, speed and quickness in a time when it was unheard of. If he was to wake up one day and fight, do I think he's going to win in a cage, probably not.....

...but at the same time, if he knew who he was fighting and trained for it. Absolutely. He would destroy them in a cage.1. Most karate masters have never even used their skills in a real fight. MMA fighters would destroy them. Easily. They have no ground game either.

MMA fighters also train much harder than they do in a dojo.

2. It wasn't unheard of to train for endurance, speed, and quickness. Wrestlers used to do it, boxers used to do it, the Gracie's used to do it, etc. you are just making stuff up.

3. You vastly overrate Bruce Lee's skills. I mean, what are you basing your opinion off of? You've never even seen him fight. You've never even seen him spar.

The only thing we have is footage of him punching a punching bag, and it looks extremely amateur.

Rameek
05-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Because there is no proof of him ever fighting. And the few stories that are out there were against bums... not fighters.
I dont think any of his fighting was filmed doesnt mean that it didnt occur. In many fighting arenas historically in Japan and China martial art fights between clans or styles were never filmed. Just because you were not exposed to it doesnt mean it didnt exist.

Getting promoted from one level to the next required a fight with in many styles historically.

Rameek
05-25-2013, 08:24 PM
You do realize those guys from back then like Run Run Shaw were not martial artist.

As far as I know Gordon is just an actor. I actually watched a few of his television dramas in the past year.

bmd
05-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I dont think any of his fighting was filmed doesnt mean that it didnt occur. In many fighting arenas historically in Japan and China martial art fights between clans or styles were never filmed. Just because you were not exposed to it doesnt mean it didnt exist.

Getting promoted from one level to the next required a fight with in many styles historically.I'm not saying they didn't happen.

I'm saying how can people know if Bruce Lee was this unbeatable fighter if they have never seen him fight? They have never even seen him spar.

Even if the few fight stories that are floating around are true, those stories were about him fighting bums at a YMCA or on a movie set. He wasn't fighting trained fighters or boxers or wrestlers.

There is only about 15 seconds of footage of him even hitting a punching bag.

We have almost nothing to go on.

So the people who claim he is an unbeatable fighter amaze me considering they have never seen him fight anybody ever. They've never seen him take a punch, they've never seen him deal with adversity, we've never seen him in the deep water when some men fold, we've never seen him in any of these situations.

There are aspects of a fight that no amount of hitting pads or even sparring can replicate.

So people who claim Bruce Lee is an incredible fighter have literally nothing to base their opinion on.

"But he was so fast and strong and his philosophy and blah blah blah".

Jackie Chan looks unbeatable in movies, too...

Rameek
05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm not saying they didn't happen.

I'm saying how can people know if Bruce Lee was this unbeatable fighter if they have never seen him fight? They have never even seen him spar.

Even if the few fight stories that are floating around are true, those stories were about him fighting bums at a YMCA or on a movie set. He wasn't fighting trained fighters or boxers or wrestlers.

There is only about 15 seconds of footage of him even hitting a punching bag.

We have almost nothing to go on.

So the people who claim he is an unbeatable fighter amaze me considering they have never seen him fight anybody ever. They've never seen him take a punch, they've never seen him deal with adversity, we've never seen him in the deep water when some men fold, we've never seen him in any of these situations.

There are aspects of a fight that no amount of hitting pads or even sparring can replicate.

So people who claim Bruce Lee is an incredible fighter have literally nothing to base their opinion on.

"But he was so fast and strong and his philosophy and blah blah blah".

Jackie Chan looks unbeatable in movies, too...
On that premise you are correct. But again I would say this. If at anytime he was not a legit fighter that he was claimed to be those in China would have exposed this. In no way shape or form am I contradicting your statement. I am specifically referring to the pre-Jeet Kune Do days or the pre- Wong Jack Man fight :lol (which in itself is part of the mythical greatness of Lee).

Most people believe that Lee was alone in the disdain for the point fighting during the 60's and 70's. Many traditional karate-do schools hated them too and this was the creation of freestyle karate that became ever so popular.

Even when we did tournaments like this it still was based on point fighting which sucked.

http://youtu.be/nm-oSOO7DQE

This is Jerry Fast Feet Fontanez that ruled the roost in many of our tournaments.

TheGreatDeraj
05-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Bruce Lee came and went before I was even born, but his quotes have often motivated and inspired me as well as provoked thoughts about myself and life in general.

Some of my favorites:

[QUOTE=Bruce Lee]

lefthook00
05-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Bruce Lee was a mixed martial artist. He gathered what he thought worked from diff. disciplines and he created his own style. Same thing as what's going on today, but it's obviously at a higher level now. The main diff. is that Bruce included moves that would be illegal in sanctioned mma fights.

Bruce stated that a normal guy that trained boxing + wrestling for a year or two could beat a life-long Eastern martial art practitioner in a real fight.

Simple Jack
05-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Early UFC events should have already made clear the superiority (and even the pointlessness) of many specific styles of martial arts (in practicability, obviously the philosophy and history of many of those styles is important).

A mixed martial arts fighter is simply superior to a person training specifically in one style. I always find it funny when people give a title to boxers as the best fighter in the world when in reality, in a street fight a boxer would lose 99% of the time against a trained MMA fighter, no matter how good the boxer was.

Yes Anderson Silva would MURK Bruce Lee; as would ANY trained MMA fighter right now, even in the past.

Speaking of Anderson, does anyone remember when he challenged Roy Jones to a boxing match? In strictly a boxing match, Anderson would look like a little kid next to Roy; and vice-versa if it were an MMA match. Still would have loved to see that happen though.

Dragonyeuw
05-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Bruce is an all time legend, on and off the screen.

But when it comes to martial arts movies Jackie Chan is even more of a legend imo. I admit this, even though I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan.

Bruce died at 32, suffice to say we were robbed of the opportunity to see how big he actually could have become.

lucky001
05-27-2013, 07:07 AM
There's just not enough evidence that Bruce was a world class fighter. He fought a bunch of loud mouths and street punks. I bet any ranking mma guy could do more. Hell kimbo slice did that, and he's a joke.

One thing he did show was the focus and dedication displayed by the top ranking guys. But that really is the minimum you need to have to get to that level. Who knows what kind of results he would have.

D-Wade316
05-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Will rape Anderson Silva in the ass.

bmd
05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
There's just not enough evidence that Bruce was a world class fighter. He fought a bunch of loud mouths and street punks. I bet any ranking mma guy could do more. Hell kimbo slice did that, and he's a joke.

One thing he did show was the focus and dedication displayed by the top ranking guys. But that really is the minimum you need to have to get to that level. Who knows what kind of results he would have.He didn't even fight a lot of loud mouths and street punks.

There are only about 6 fights that supposedly happened... and I don't believe some of them.

Or they are at least exaggerated.

Bruce Lee was never a world class fighter. It's just impossible with the limited amount of fights he's had.

AintNoSunshine
05-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Bruce Lee is in the same status as guys like Jordan, Gretzky etc.

bmd
05-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Bruce Lee is in the same status as guys like Jordan, Gretzky etc.How do you figure that?

AintNoSunshine
05-29-2013, 03:22 AM
How do you figure that?

In the way that he pioneered and helped make MMA what it is, combine with the fact that he's heads and shoulders above his contemporary.

I wouldn't argue whether Lee or Silva would win in a dark alley fight or in the octagon because the rules they trained under are completely different. But Bruce Lee's impact to the creation of MMA is undisputed, his impact to popularize kung fu/fighting/mma/kung fu movies in a worldwide scale was undeniable.

He was a true student of martial arts who stripped fighting to its simplest essence by employing every move that's useful in the most effective way, to survive, to kill when all rules fail.

Just my personal belief and opinion.

LJJ
05-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Bruce Lee is in the same status as guys like Jordan, Gretzky etc.

Bruce Lee is indeed to martial arts cinema what Jordan is to basketball or Gretzky to hockey. Absolutely agree.

vegasbigshots
05-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Here is a video of a legendary karate master vs MMA fighter

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

9erempiree
05-29-2013, 07:47 AM

Karate?

Old master?

9erempiree
05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Bruce Lee's style of Jeet Kune Do, is no style, it involves a lot of discipline. To actual train this particular style would take years. Also, it involves homework and such.

MMA is just that, sport fighting, it's a mix of everything. Sport fighters don't have years to train for this. They want to get them in a fight as soon as possible. It's a sport, money and rules.

To say MMA is a mix of many different disciplines is a lie. When UFC began, there were many disciplines.

The modern MMA or UFC, has evolved to it's very own style. Let's call it "UFC Kune Tae Do" for reference.

The top UFC fighters basically fight the same. UFC Kune Tae Do, name I made up, consists of just jujitsu, kickboxing and wrestling.

That's basically what modern day MMA/UFC fighter knows. Throw in a little karate and judo for some fighters.

....but the premise of UFC Style only consists of the three I mentioned, jitsu, kickboxing and wrestling. They don't use anything else. No more complex submissions. Mostly rear naked chokes, guillotine or an arm bar.

Basically MMA and UFC has evolved themselves in one style that consists of those three disciplines. To say MMA is a sport that involves 20 disciplines from one fighter is false. They are not superior than the other guy that knows only kung fu, boxing and jujitsu.

Heck, Bones Jones, wrestling, ground and pound and some BASIC jujitsu.

AintNoSunshine
05-29-2013, 11:33 AM

I haven't opened but I think I know what it is.

See if you don't know anything about the topic you don't HAVE to participate, go educate yourself about Bruce Lee, who was far more than just a karate champion

bmd
05-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Bruce Lee's style of Jeet Kune Do, is no style, it involves a lot of discipline. To actual train this particular style would take years. Also, it involves homework and such.

MMA is just that, sport fighting, it's a mix of everything. Sport fighters don't have years to train for this. They want to get them in a fight as soon as possible. It's a sport, money and rules.

To say MMA is a mix of many different disciplines is a lie. When UFC began, there were many disciplines.

The modern MMA or UFC, has evolved to it's very own style. Let's call it "UFC Kune Tae Do" for reference.

The top UFC fighters basically fight the same. UFC Kune Tae Do, name I made up, consists of just jujitsu, kickboxing and wrestling.

That's basically what modern day MMA/UFC fighter knows. Throw in a little karate and judo for some fighters.

....but the premise of UFC Style only consists of the three I mentioned, jitsu, kickboxing and wrestling. They don't use anything else. No more complex submissions. Mostly rear naked chokes, guillotine or an arm bar.

Basically MMA and UFC has evolved themselves in one style that consists of those three disciplines. To say MMA is a sport that involves 20 disciplines from one fighter is false. They are not superior than the other guy that knows only kung fu, boxing and jujitsu.

Heck, Bones Jones, wrestling, ground and pound and some BASIC jujitsu.This post is filled with so much bull that I'm not sure where to begin.

1. You say "sport fighting" as if it is not "real fighting", as a way to try to discredit it. You say MMA fighters do not train for years to become "sport fighters". Where in the hell did you get that idea? MMA fighters are black belts, NCAA wrestlers, K-1 kickboxers, Olympic wrestlers and Judokas, etc. These guys have been training their whole life in different disciplines.

2. MMA IS a mix of many different disciplines. It's not even up for debate. Wrestling, Karate, Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are the most common. Many fighters are also trained in Tae Kwon Do, Capoiera, Sambo, etc.

You show your ignorance when you say they all fight the same, and only use "jujitsu, kickboxing and wrestling". First off, "kickboxing" is a general term. You can be doing kung fu, karate, muay thai, savate, sambo, etc. and be "kickboxing". Fighters do not fight the same. What do you expect them to do that is so different?

3. No more complex submissions? First of all, there are still complex submissions. But you are right, there are less of them. Do you know why? Because the fighters have gotten so good that it is much harder to pull off complex submissions. Rear naked chokes, guillotines, armbars, triangle chokes, etc are all the highest percentage submissions.

Not just in MMA, but in brazilian jiu jitsu matches, too. They are the most common because they are the most effective.

4. The reason why you don't see "kung fu" and other types of martial arts in MMA is because that stuff has been proven not to work. Fighters do what works. This whole UFC thing has been a fantastic experiment in what works and what doesn't. All the stuff that doesn't work has been weeded out, and we're left with the things that have been proven over and over again to be effective.

Do you know why boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are so effective? Because all of those disciplines have full-contact competition. Those disciplines have been tested in real full-contact competition for years and years. They are tried and true. They work.

5. Why did you list ground and pound as one of Jon Jones' disciplines? That's like listing arm-bars as a discipline.

bmd
05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
In the way that he pioneered and helped make MMA what it is, combine with the fact that he's heads and shoulders above his contemporary.

I wouldn't argue whether Lee or Silva would win in a dark alley fight or in the octagon because the rules they trained under are completely different. But Bruce Lee's impact to the creation of MMA is undisputed, his impact to popularize kung fu/fighting/mma/kung fu movies in a worldwide scale was undeniable.

He was a true student of martial arts who stripped fighting to its simplest essence by employing every move that's useful in the most effective way, to survive, to kill when all rules fail.

Just my personal belief and opinion.Bruce Lee never pioneered and made MMA what it is.

The UFC was made by the Gracie family to show off their Brazilian Jiu Jitsu... which they had been doing since the early 1900's.

There were MMA-type organizations around way before the UFC. Shootfighting was on TV in the 1970's.

Vale Tudo matches were popular in Brazil since the early 1900's. The Gracie's basically brought Vale Tudo to the United States in the early 90's when they started the UFC.

Bruce Lee had nothing to do with the creation of MMA since "MMA" has been around way before Bruce Lee was even alive. It just wasn't called "MMA".

Bruce Lee did make martial arts more popular, but he had nothing to do with the creation of MMA.

TheReal Kendall
05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
I don't think an mma fighter could beat Bruce. Bruce Lee was trained by Ip Man and we all know how sick this guy is.

9erempiree
05-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't think an mma fighter could beat Bruce. Bruce Lee was trained by Ip Man and we all know how sick this guy is.

I never thought of that but that's true. Bruce was being trained by legends. He was a student under the legendary Ip Man.

MMA is watered down. Everyone's a disciple of somebody. The lineage is pretty spread out. Where Bruce had legendary training.

Wade3
05-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Anderson Silva would leave Lee a broken bloody mess, he's perfected the art of striking with his freakish blend of Muay thai, TKD, Boxing and capoeira

Silva does shit to trained fighters what Lee done to actors. Its like watching a videogame or movie when he fights :roll:

bmd
05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I never thought of that but that's true. Bruce was being trained by legends. He was a student under the legendary Ip Man.

MMA is watered down. Everyone's a disciple of somebody. The lineage is pretty spread out. Where Bruce had legendary training.Yip Man is only "legendary" because Bruce Lee followers made him so since he taught Bruce Lee Wing Chun.

There is nothing particularly legendary about Yip Man, and we all know Wing Chun is a bunch of horse manure.

It is also said that Yip Man used to use the money he got from teaching students to support his opium addiction.

9erempiree
05-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Judging from the response from this thread, I see that everyone agrees that Bruce would murk a MMA fighter.

bmd
05-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Judging from the response from this thread, I see that everyone agrees that Bruce would murk a MMA fighter.Only some said that.

And those that did are caught up in the legend and aren't using logic.

andremiller07
05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Only some said that.

And those that did are caught up in the legend and aren't using logic.
Is there any actual footage of Bruce Lee in a proper fight where its not all WWE type crap? I have never seen the man fight, I don't care how you train or what you can do on a movie set that's got nothing to do with fighting.

Has anyone seen him fight?

WWRWestbrookDo?
05-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Many people think of him as the greatest fighter of all-time who could never be beaten.

What do you think?

there was a story where some claim he lost a fight but it would have been interesting if he were alive to try the UFC.

WWRWestbrookDo?
05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
I think at the time Bruce Lee was big he probably would have a been a great UFC fighter. These days guys know all the different forms of martial arts so it is harder to dominate unless he are head over heels above your competition like Jon Jones, GSP, Anderson Silva.

Now that I think of it..it is pretty rare that we have 3 fighters that are so dominate. I wonder what would happen if Bruce Lee fought a wrestler/grinder?

bmd
05-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Is there any actual footage of Bruce Lee in a proper fight where its not all WWE type crap? I have never seen the man fight, I don't care how you train or what you can do on a movie set that's got nothing to do with fighting.

Has anyone seen him fight?Nope. The only thing we have to go on is 15 seconds of him punching a punching bag, and he looks like an amateur.

bmd
05-29-2013, 09:56 PM
I think at the time Bruce Lee was big he probably would have a been a great UFC fighter. These days guys know all the different forms of martial arts so it is harder to dominate unless he are head over heels above your competition like Jon Jones, GSP, Anderson Silva.

Now that I think of it..it is pretty rare that we have 3 fighters that are so dominate. I wonder what would happen if Bruce Lee fought a wrestler/grinder?He would be dominated by a wrestler... no doubt about it.

Bruce was like 135 pounds. He would be fighting guys like Mighty Mouse who can wrestle and is incredibly fast, strong, and explosive.

I have no doubt that a fighter like Mighty Mouse would explode for a double or single and end the fight easily. Or clinch and work a takedown. What did Bruce know about the clinch? Nothing.

pauk
05-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Great martial artist, great philosopher, great teacher and he was very inspirational... grew up idolising him...

Hazard
05-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Please stop comparing Bruce Lee's philosophy on Martial Arts to MMA. Bruce Lee taught people to be non violent and only apply the techniques when they needed to be used. MMA is about breaking and ripping apart your opponent while wearing a bad ass Affliction t shirt. Bruce Lee focused on teaching Martial Arts as a way of life rather than teaching people how to kill one another. He focused on applying the true Eastern philosophy of the Tao not human **** fighting. Let these dumbass comparisons go. Goddamn other people's kids.

pauk
05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Please stop comparing Bruce Lee's philosophy on Martial Arts to MMA. Bruce Lee taught people to be non violent and only apply the techniques when they needed to be used. MMA is about breaking and ripping apart your opponent while wearing a bad ass Affliction t shirt. Bruce Lee focused on teaching Martial Arts as a way of life rather than teaching people how to kill one another. He focused on applying the true Eastern philosophy of the Tao not human **** fighting. Let these dumbass comparisons go. Goddamn other people's kids.

His ideology of a martial art that simply takes the best & useful techniques of all martial arts all into one and his demonstration of it a couple of times, even in a movie which you will see in start of "Enter the Dragon" where he arm-bars Samo Hung in a typical MMA setting you would see today, light ounce gloves, ring, jiu-jitsu, striking, grappling and everything... makes him all in all one of the inventors of MMA... i dont know if MMA you see today is used the way he wanted to, but anyways...

bmd
05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Please stop comparing Bruce Lee's philosophy on Martial Arts to MMA. Bruce Lee taught people to be non violent and only apply the techniques when they needed to be used. MMA is about breaking and ripping apart your opponent while wearing a bad ass Affliction t shirt. Bruce Lee focused on teaching Martial Arts as a way of life rather than teaching people how to kill one another. He focused on applying the true Eastern philosophy of the Tao not human **** fighting. Let these dumbass comparisons go. Goddamn other people's kids.And that's why Bruce Lee supposedly used to get into street fights and get arrested and even fight people on movie sets?

Yeah, real non-violent...

Hazard
05-29-2013, 10:22 PM
His ideology of a martial art that simply takes the best & useful techniques of all martial arts all into one and his demonstration of it a couple of times, even in a movie which you will see in start of "Enter the Dragon" where he arm-bars Samo Hung in a typical MMA setting you would see today, light ounce gloves, ring, jiu-jitsu, striking, grappling and everything... makes him all in all one of the inventors of MMA... i dont know if MMA you see today is used the way he wanted to, but anyways...
The point is martial arts is not only about techniques. No matter how bad ass or strong someone can be, or how many people they annihilate, they will never measure up to what Bruce Lee gave in terms of philosophy and lifestyle. Using some sport (yes it is a sport, not a martial art) to measure his worth is flat out retarded.

Arm bars existed long before Bruce Lee, people competed in mixed martial arts long before Bruce Lee. Go read up about Judo. You know how it replaced Jujitsu (not BJJ) in Japan? They had a competition of every master from each respective school going up against each other, Judo won in a landslide.

In case you're not familiar with Japanese Jujitsu, it was the fighting art Samurai used in Japan which also happened to implement a lot of techniques used in today's MMA. Judo is a byproduct of that and it also incorporates science, in terms of throws and using small nuances like fulcrums to achieve effectiveness.

tl;dr MMA techniques were around long before Bruce Lee.

Hazard
05-29-2013, 10:23 PM
And that's why Bruce Lee supposedly used to get into street fights and get arrested and even fight people on movie sets?

Yeah, real non-violent...
Yeah how about we judge your life story by the retarded shit you used to do when you were 17. Give it a rest you fool.

bmd
05-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah how about we judge your life story by the retarded shit you used to do when you were 17. Give it a rest you fool.Bruce Lee was supposedly getting in fights on movie sets like Enter the Dragon. He was much older than 17.

Hazard
05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Bruce Lee was supposedly getting in fights on movie sets like Enter the Dragon. He was much older than 17.
I'm not sure why I'm responding to you right now... You make it seem like he was the one to start the fight, give me a source and not wikipedia that supports that fact. Obviously you're unable to, so the argument ends here.

bmd
05-29-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure why I'm responding to you right now... You make it seem like he was the one to start the fight, give me a source and not wikipedia that supports that fact. Obviously you're unable to, so the argument ends here.Bob Wall is the one who supposedly witnessed it. He said about the guy "I mean, you could see that it wasn't a respectful, little starstruck kid doing a fight — this kid was a gang-banger type of guy from Hong Kong!"

It's from an interview in John Little's book "Bruce Lee - Words of the Dragon Interviews, 1958-1973".

The guy challenged Bruce to fight. It wasn't like he was just defending himself.

Hazard
05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=bmd]Bob Wall is the one who supposedly witnessed it. He said about the guy "I mean, you could see that it wasn't a respectful, little starstruck kid doing a fight

bmd
05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
By the way... MMA isn't about ripping your opponent apart while wearing an affliction t-shirt.

That is only your perception of it, which certain fans help fuel.

The martial artists who fight in the UFC are all individuals. They all do their own thing.

Let's look at the champions:

Cain Velasquez, HW Champ:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/462/447/cainvelasquezwrestling_display_image.jpg?128795475 3

He is an All-American NCAA wrestler. He is a true martial artist.

Jon Jones, LHW Champ:

http://www.bjjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jon-668x668.jpg

He has wrestled his whole life, and trained to become proficient in many disciplines. He's a true martial artist.

Anderson Silva, MW Champ:

http://www3.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20120131081342_and_silva2.JPG
http://www.graciemag.com/pt/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Anderson-Silva-encaixa-o-Jiu-Jitsu-no-Xingu.jpg
http://www.titocouture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Anderson-SIlva-Young.jpg

He uses many different martial arts. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, and even going to the tribes of Brazil to wrestle with them. He's a true martial artist.

Georges St-Pierre, WW Champ:

http://entre528.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/2848418758_4c5f18fa9e_z.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549860_10152648064650650_450022900_n.jpg
http://www.vaughnbarry.com/Portfolio/Sports-Photography/Georges-St-Pierre/i-4XNMcf3/0/L/Georges-St-Pierre-GSP-Newmarket-Ontario-c-L.jpg
http://admin.mmaweekly.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/02/GSP-Karate-Roots.jpg

GSP goes all over the world to train. Whether he's in Canada, USA, France, Brazil, Japan, etc. He's done Karate since he was a kid, and he teaches seminars to kids. He is a true martial artist.

Benson Henderson, LW Champ:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ShTt1lnQNwqjCrfPihvAew--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmmaexperts/749357879.jpg
http://www.sotaissexy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/scott-ben-henderson-national-championships-wrestling.jpg

He's been in tournaments, wrestling matches, etc. He trains as a martial artist because he is a martial artist.

These guys aren't some kind of bar brawlers like you are trying to make them out as.

These guys are high-caliber martial artists who transitioned from training for fun into making a career out of it.

bmd
05-29-2013, 11:36 PM
So he challenged him to a fight and called him a gangster from Hong Kong? I feel like I'm missing something...There is more to the quote but it's in a book and I can't see the whole quote with the preview that google gives.

But the story from Bob Wall is that an extra on a movie set who is a gang-banger type from Hong Kong challenged Bruce Lee to fight because he said he's an actor and not a real martial artist.

Bruce was pissed and accepted his challenge and they fought.

9erempiree
05-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Bruce Lee was an amazing person.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UDSB-eneUMI/UGzfYHmKJ9I/AAAAAAAAAy4/ZGPDDb4G5LU/s1600/0-Bruce-Lee-2.jpg

A killer.

andgar923
05-29-2013, 11:48 PM
There's actually more footage of him sparring than just him hitting a bag.

There's also testimonies from various legendary martial artists that have said he could fight.

Now, to be honest at times people say things just to be respectful or they exaggerate. But some of the comments have been echoed by others. Out of the dozens of stories told about Bruce, there must be some truth to them or all of them are liars that are putting their reputation on the line.

For those that say Bruce would get his ass whooped by a modern MMA fighter, I wouldn't say he'd get whooped but he'd surely lose.

Now, if you gave Bruce time to prepare and study, we have a different outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNg8yls4UA

Out of the dozens of stories told about Bruce, there must be some truth to them or all of them are liars that are putting their reputation on the line.

bmd
05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
There's actually more footage of him sparring than just him hitting a bag.

There's also testimonies from various legendary martial artists that have said he could fight.

Now, to be honest at times people say things just to be respectful or they exaggerate. But some of the comments have been echoed by others. Out of the dozens of stories told about Bruce, there must be some truth to them or all of them are liars that are putting their reputation on the line.

For those that say Bruce would get his ass whooped by a modern MMA fighter, I wouldn't say he'd get whooped but he'd surely lose.

Now, if you gave Bruce time to prepare and study, we have a different outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNg8yls4UA

Out of the dozens of stories told about Bruce, there must be some truth to them or all of them are liars that are putting their reputation on the line.What you have to understand is that all of these people say Bruce is a great fighter because they have their own reputations to uphold.

All of these people were either students of Bruce or friends of Bruce.

Of course they are going to say they learned from the best.

As the legend of Bruce grew, people want to be associated with his name because it benefits themselves, and makes them feel important.

And other people like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who worked with him are of course going to say great things about him. First of all, because he's supposed to. Secondly, because he doesn't know what separates a good martial artist from another.

Bruce Lee wanted to train Joe Lewis after he was USA Kickboxing champ. Joe Lewis accepted. Lewis has said some less than flattering things about Bruce Lee's ability as a fighter. Joe Lewis is known for being brutally honest. He said Bruce was a great martial artist, but he questioned his fighting ability.

P.S... there is a little more footage of him working on making a running side-kick look cool. But nobody is ever going to do that in a fight unless they are stupid.

What other footage is there?

9erempiree
05-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Lee was a great athlete and factor in his studies and the science of fighting. The man was like a fighting scientist.

Some of his paperwork and homework studies....that combination of science and pure athletic ability leads me to believe he would dominate.

andgar923
05-30-2013, 12:09 AM
What you have to understand is that all of these people say Bruce is a great fighter because they have their own reputations to uphold.

All of these people were either students of Bruce or friends of Bruce.

Of course they are going to say they learned from the best.

And other people like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who worked with him are of course going to say great things about him. First of all, because he's supposed to. Secondly, because he doesn't know what separates a good martial artist from another.

USA Kickboxing champ Joe Lewis has said some less than flattering things about Bruce Lee's ability as a fighter. Joe Lewis is known for being brutally honest. He said Bruce was a great martial artist, but he questioned his fighting ability.

P.S... there is a little more footage of him working on making a running side-kick look cool. But nobody is ever going to do that in a fight unless they are stupid.

What other footage is there?

The comments I'm referring too aren't from his students. As far as 'friends' is concerned, why would they make themselves look bad? These are men with pride. Perhaps in reverence to pay homage they may say some positive things about him, but not praise him to the degree in which they do so.

What I don't understand is, why you doubt he would be a good fighter.

A. He had all the tools. He was extremely fast, had immense power, great technique, stamina, was smart, why wouldn't he be a good fighter?

These men are also proud. You don't think at some point they'd challenge him or sparr with him to see if this 'actor' is any good? Here he is (Bruce) gathering up all of the top fighters of their era and he's embarrassing them on film, he's arrogant, cocky, has a quick temper and a reputation of being a bad ass. Don't you think some of these fighters are gonna challenge him at some point? Don't you think if he declined and/or got his ass whooped, that his aura will rapidly diminish?

Yet we hear the opposite all the time.

We hear stories of him being taunted and kicking ass, we hear stories of people challenging him and him kicking ass, we hear stories of home intruders and he kicking ass, we hear stories of sparring and he either holding his own or kicking ass.

Yes i agree these stories would be hard to believe if all we saw of him were closely choreographed moves on film. But we do see the tools that make a great fighter. He was trained by a legedndary martial artist and trained as a boxer as well. He must have some knowledge if he created a style that is followed and respected all over the world.

HardwoodLegend
05-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Bruce Lee had strength, flexibility, AMAZING reflexes, quick moves and was an obsessive student of the combat arts.

With modern advancement in training & nutrition, I bet we'd be looking at quite the beast.

andgar923
05-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Bruce Lee had strength, flexibility, AMAZING reflexes, quick moves and was an obsessive student of the combat arts.

With modern advancement in training & nutrition, I bet we'd be looking at quite the beast.

He was ahead of his time in many ways. His ideas were considered a taboo by most martial artist's standards.

The thing that can't be denied is that he never settled and always challenged himself, a trait every great from every field has.

Transpose him to this era and who knows how he'd change the MMA world. He'd have the foresight to see things nobody else has even thought of.

9erempiree
05-30-2013, 12:14 AM

He has the brains and the brawn.

Few MMA fighters today would have the mental capacity like Bruce.

Bruce's discipline trained pupils to combat against multiple assailants. If you were to run into a gang of hooligans.

MMA is a sport, like tennis, one on one training. I'm not knocking MMA but it's a totally different thing from what Bruce was training. His are survival skills while MMA is for prize money.

andgar923
05-30-2013, 12:16 AM
So he challenged him to a fight and called him a gangster from Hong Kong? I feel like I'm missing something...

What he forgot to mention was Lee pummeling the challenger.

But I guess that tidbit didn't fit his agenda.

bmd
05-30-2013, 12:24 AM
The comments I'm referring too aren't from his students. As far as 'friends' is concerned, why would they make themselves look bad? These are men with pride. Perhaps in reverence to pay homage they may say some positive things about him, but not praise him to the degree in which they do so.

What I don't understand is, why you doubt he would be a good fighter.

A. He had all the tools. He was extremely fast, had immense power, great technique, stamina, was smart, why wouldn't he be a good fighter?

These men are also proud. You don't think at some point they'd challenge him or sparr with him to see if this 'actor' is any good? Here he is (Bruce) gathering up all of the top fighters of their era and he's embarrassing them on film, he's arrogant, cocky, has a quick temper and a reputation of being a bad ass. Don't you think some of these fighters are gonna challenge him at some point? Don't you think if he declined and/or got his ass whooped, that his aura will rapidly diminish?

Yet we hear the opposite all the time.

We hear stories of him being taunted and kicking ass, we hear stories of people challenging him and him kicking ass, we hear stories of home intruders and he kicking ass, we hear stories of sparring and he either holding his own or kicking ass.

Yes i agree these stories would be hard to believe if all we saw of him were closely choreographed moves on film. But we do see the tools that make a great fighter. He was trained by a legedndary martial artist and trained as a boxer as well. He must have some knowledge if he created a style that is followed and respected all over the world.He didn't spar with people who could beat him. Joe Lewis was a full-contact, American Kickboxing champion. He actually fought.

He tried to get Bruce to spar with him for 2 years when they were friends, and Bruce refused.

He tried to get Bruce to compete. He refused that too.

Considering how great people consider Bruce Lee to be as a martial artist, don't you find it at least a little bit odd that he has never been recorded at least sparring or training on a bag for real or anything? Nothing?

bmd
05-30-2013, 12:26 AM

With modern advancement in training & nutrition, I bet we'd be looking at quite the beast.It's possible.

But there are many athletic people out there who don't necessarily make the best fighters.

Even if they have the "moves" down, it's a whole different ballgame when you are fighting another human being and not hitting a bag.

There is no possible way to know what kind of fighter he'd be today, since we don't even know what kind of a fighter he was back then.

bmd
05-30-2013, 12:28 AM
He was ahead of his time in many ways. His ideas were considered a taboo by most martial artist's standards.

The thing that can't be denied is that he never settled and always challenged himself, a trait every great from every field has.

Transpose him to this era and who knows how he'd change the MMA world. He'd have the foresight to see things nobody else has even thought of.In what way did he never settle and always challenge himself?

bmd
05-30-2013, 12:30 AM
What he forgot to mention was Lee pummeling the challenger.

But I guess that tidbit didn't fit his agenda.That part was irrelevant. That's why I didn't even mention it. I didn't even think about me not mentioning it until you just brought it up.

He said Bruce taught not to fight unless defending yourself. I said that isn't true because he fought with a guy who challenged him on a movie set. He said to prove it, and I posted the quote.

The result of the fight was completely irrelevant to our discussion.

9erempiree
05-30-2013, 12:40 AM
No surprise that he would pummel the guy.

Hazard
05-31-2013, 07:04 PM
That part was irrelevant. That's why I didn't even mention it. I didn't even think about me not mentioning it until you just brought it up.

He said Bruce taught not to fight unless defending yourself. I said that isn't true because he fought with a guy who challenged him on a movie set. He said to prove it, and I posted the quote.

The result of the fight was completely irrelevant to our discussion.
If only you had the mental capacity to realize how irrelevant that fight is to what he did for martial arts and cinema.