PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Paul the most overrated player in NBA history?

Connor B
05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Someone please explain the big deal on this guy. I'm serious. He is a great defender, but that's really it as a far as what makes him stand out compared to other other point guards in the league today. Whereas he couldn't take his loaded ass Clippers past the Grizzlies (admittedly a very good team), Steph Curry took his Warriors past a Denver team who everyone said would win handedly. Westbrook, even before the playoffs started (and now we see how valuable he is to the Thunder), I thought was a better PG. Healthy Derrick Rose when he plays efficiently (i.e. NOT the 2011 playoffs) I would take over as well. Tony Parker also is a huge reason the Spurs are going so far.

I am not criticizing his stats. He only does like 17/9 but its limited minutes. But when you look at all these players, Chris Paul's impact on his team, in other words how much he brings to the tams he has been on, is extremely overrated. Add in the flopping and potential racism (demanding African-American coach) and all of a sudden you've got an overrated diva who by the way hasn't made it past the semifinals ever.

inclinerator
05-24-2013, 01:43 PM
i dont get it he keeps regressing, what happened to the hornets cp3

Mass Debator
05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Without CP3, the Clippers suck. :facepalm Leave the 2013 All-star MVP alone :lol

Put him on the Lakers and the Grizzies would be out and the Spurs would be down 0-2.

tikay0
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Clippers aren't "loaded". They have talent, yes, but that team is such a cluster **** of talent, and that coach is atrocious.

WeGetRing2012
05-24-2013, 02:33 PM
I just don't think a 6'0 ft PG will ever lead a team to a championship by himself. He needs to be a #2 guy on a team.

FreezingTsmoove
05-24-2013, 02:45 PM
CP3 had early playoff success too. Lets see how Curry handles the rest of his career.

Mass Debator
05-24-2013, 02:45 PM
I just don't think a 6'0 ft PG will ever lead a team to a championship by himself. He needs to be a #2 guy on a team.
Isiah Thomas?

stephanieg
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
i dont get it he keeps regressing, what happened to the hornets cp3

Major knee injury = never the same.

Shade8780
05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Isiah Thomas?
BAM

Mr. I'm So Rad
05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
He's the prototypical "pure" PG that people like. He takes care of the ball, is pass first, and is an excellent decision maker (the one thing that's holding Goatbrook back from being easily the best PG). I always trust him to make the right play late in games. The only thing I don't like about CP3 is how he's sometimes too passive. Other than that he's great.

jzek
05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
I think Jeremy Lin is.

jzek
05-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Isiah Thomas?

He had Laimbeer and Mahorn and Rodman though (not to mention Dumars and Vinnie). CP3 has DJ and Griffin and Turiaf. Doesn't exactly put fear in ppl's heart.

tikay0
05-24-2013, 02:55 PM
He had Laimbeer and Mahorn and Rodman though. CP3 has DJ and Griffin and Turiaf. Doesn't exactly put fear in ppl's heart.

Dumars too. One of the greatest defensive SGs in NBA history.

clutchinho
05-24-2013, 02:56 PM
fk yall hes 6'0 what you want him to do, hes supremely skilled and possesses a deadly bball IQ, but what do you expect from an average sized man like that in a giants league, when he has a centre like Dentre Jordan ****

stephanieg
05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
The go to answers for recent years would be AI and Melo, but I think you can make a strong case for Bargs back when many Raptors fans thought he was one of the best players in the league and they could trade him for Pau straight up.

Mass Debator
05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
He had Laimbeer and Mahorn and Rodman though (not to mention Dumars and Vinnie). CP3 has DJ and Griffin and Turiaf. Doesn't exactly put fear in ppl's heart.
That's not the case here. Wasn't Isiah the leader? He wasn't the second option and he led them to a title which renders that one statement unsubstantial

WeGetRing2012
05-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Isiah Thomas?

My point. I wasn't even born when he won. How often does it happen? He is just too small and with players/teams getting bigger & more athletic I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Teams can just swarm him and he is always stopped in a 7 game series. He needs to be the #2 guy.

The game has only sped up since the 80's...

Clutch
05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
The go to answers for recent years would be AI and Melo, but I think you can make a strong case for Bargs back when many Raptors fans thought he was one of the best players in the league and they could trade him for Pau straight up.
How is Melo overrated ? All I read on this forum is how much he sucks. He's underrated if anything.

Mass Debator
05-24-2013, 03:48 PM
My point. I wasn't even born when he won. How often does it happen? He is just too small and with players/teams getting bigger & more athletic I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Teams can just swarm him and he is always stopped in a 7 game series. He needs to be the #2 guy.

The game has only sped up since the 80's...
It really depends on the team you put around him and the match up he faces in the playoffs. He could've replaced Chauncey Billups just fine on the Pistons and won a ring as the leader.

Or maybe on the 08-09 Blazers with a healthy Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge.

Put him on the current Pacers and he might be able to pull them pass the super team Heat. Keyword might.

I think he just created so much expectations for himself after that great season and then injury happened. Is he overrated? I think not. He can be pretty much as good as any point guard who's ever played the game.

Young X
05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
No he's not, he's one of the best PG's to ever play the game. He basically has no real weaknesses and he's clearly more productive in the RS and the playoffs than any other PG. Criticizing him for his teams' lack of playoff success is dumb because he's played for 2 of the least successful franchises in history and he plays great in the playoffs.

Pacquiao
12-07-2013, 08:07 PM
No he's not, he's one of the best PG's to ever play the game. He basically has no real weaknesses and he's clearly more productive in the RS and the playoffs than any other PG. Criticizing him for his teams' lack of playoff success is dumb because he's played for 2 of the least successful franchises in history and he plays great in the playoffs.

No. CP3 is overrated. Bound to fail in the 1st round again.. He has a decent supporting cast.

NumberSix
12-07-2013, 08:21 PM
How is Melo overrated ? All I read on this forum is how much he sucks. He's underrated if anything.
This is actually somewhat true IMO. Nobody really talks about Melo being an elite player anymore.

The JKidd Kid
12-07-2013, 08:38 PM
An elite scorer, playmaker, defender and only averages 2 turnovers a game. Oh yea he's definitely the most overrated player in NBA history.

steve
12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
This is actually somewhat true IMO. Nobody really talks about Melo being an elite player anymore.

Granted, this board doesn't do particularly well with varying degrees of anything. A player is one thing or he's the other and damned if there's any hint of being somewhere in the middle.

ralph_i_el
12-07-2013, 09:18 PM
No. CP3 is overrated. Bound to fail in the 1st round again.. He has a decent supporting cast.

Watch him in the playoffs :confusedshrug:
He kicks some ass

STATUTORY
12-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Major knee injury = never the same.

lost by 58 on his homecourt before the injury. dude was never a impact player when the chips are down, no takeover ability whatsoever

Pacquiao
12-08-2013, 12:56 AM
CP3 - 4-16 from the FG

The difference is Chris Paul cannot take over games. He just doesn't have that offensive capability.

Young X
12-08-2013, 01:02 AM
CP3 - 4-16 from the FG

The difference is Chris Paul cannot take over games. He just doesn't have that offensive capability.13 pts, 15 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals ...and that's a bad game for him.

Too bad he didn't have Duncan to bail him out like Parker does.

Pacquiao
12-08-2013, 01:05 AM
13 pts, 15 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals ...and that's a bad game for him.

Too bad he didn't have Duncan to bail him out like Parker does.

What an idiot.. He can't take over the game and torch his opponent because he doesn't have it. Keep overrating him.

Pacquiao
12-08-2013, 01:06 AM
lost by 58 on his homecourt before the injury. dude was never a impact player when the chips are down, no takeover ability whatsoever

Like Westbrook, Curry, Rose and Parker they can take over a game and dominate offensively.

Chris Paul doesn't have it